Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

It looks like Canada is requiring tech companies to pay publishers when using their content which, for those interested, is why FB is blocking news, (wouldn't Twitter follow suit) but I'm confused. Are CNN and the BBC direct websites blocked in Canada? Why do you have to get your news from Facebook and Twitter instead of the direct news website?

No, nothing’s blocked.  That would be unconstitutional.  It’s links from articles and news stories or Canadians sharing news on social with their views on the issue(s).  I read an article on the Wall Street Journal about public schools not really being public since kids are designated to a catchment area in most places and wanted to share with a comment and then see how my friends feel about it. I ended up doing so on Elon-land and I’m not a fan of that platform. 

4 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

I am guessing it's convenience.  As far as I am aware there is no reason at all why we can't get our news direct from the source. 

The only impact I can foresee for myself personally is if I wanted to link a news story onto my FB page I am assuming it might be blocked.

Yes, that’s blocked too.  You get a note about why when you try.  

• Useful 1
5 minutes ago, PRgal said:

It’s links from articles and news stories or Canadians sharing news on social with their views on the issue(s).

As a Canadian I have experienced this for years in terms of links to TV shows or clips etc coming out of the US.  Someone here or elsewhere will share something and all I see is a notice "not available in your viewing area" or something along those lines. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

As a Canadian I have experienced this for years in terms of links to TV shows or clips etc coming out of the US.  Someone here or elsewhere will share something and all I see is a notice "not available in your viewing area" or something along those lines. 

I get videos on YouTube from network accounts, but not sites like CNN or WSJ.  I think that’s different.  I mean, we don’t get blocked from viewing NBC’s site, but we definitely can’t see many of their videos on their site or their official social accounts.  

To be more clear, I can most definitely read articles on CNN and WSJ.  Most videos are okay…it’s more network stuff that I can’t always see, whether on the network site or video sites. 

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 1

I'm a big believer in situational awareness as a safety tool if nothing else, so I will likely never be one to stare at the pavemnt or avoid looking around.

Different life experiences breed varying strategies .

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, realityplease said:

I find, that it's nicer world when people are pleasant. 

^^So much this. You don't have to nod or smile, but it is so nice when someone does.

18 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I'm a big believer in situational awareness as a safety tool if nothing else, so I will likely never be one to stare at the pavemnt or avoid looking around.

Different life experiences breed varying strategies .

Situational awareness. Yes, I'm always scanning.

• Like 9
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

No, nothing’s blocked.  That would be unconstitutional.  It’s links from articles and news stories or Canadians sharing news on social with their views on the issue(s).  I read an article on the Wall Street Journal about public schools not really being public since kids are designated to a catchment area in most places and wanted to share with a comment and then see how my friends feel about it. I ended up doing so on Elon-land and I’m not a fan of that platform. 

Yes, that’s blocked too.  You get a note about why when you try.  

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would rely on FB or Instagram for a source of their news. Google searches (despite ads that would have you believe otherwise) still link to reputable news sites when there is something more you want to learn about.

• Like 13
6 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would rely on FB or Instagram for a source of their news. Google searches (despite ads that would have you believe otherwise) still link to reputable news sites when there is something more you want to learn about.

It’s about sharing your views on issues with a link to a resource or your opinion on what the journalist wrote.  Not all articles have a comment section for readers.  I mean, I could have (and actually did!) comment on the Wall Street Journal article I read, but not everyone I know reads it.  And subscribers to the WSJ automatically send “gifted” articles to people when they share it via social (otherwise it’s under a paywall).  

• Useful 2

Being told to not vent because it makes others “uncomfortable.” And just this overall general insistence that we need to be positive and resilient and overall happy all the time no matter what’s going on. 

I could understand if my venting was filled with tons of foul (like racist or hateful) language or I were calling people names regularly. But I think it’s completely immature for someone to run to the mod of a Discord and boohoo that because I’m having a hard time and talking about it, they’re simply uncomfortable with that. And then for the mod to message me and tell me I need to “interact in other ways.” I mean, are these 12-year-olds? It seems like there is so little tolerance anymore for people who are struggling and everyone wants to stay contained in a positivity bubble at all times when that’s not the way the world works. If they were the ones venting, I wouldn’t run to the mod about it and insist that they be told to stop because I can’t stand reading it. 

Meanwhile, one of the other members of the server was talking about their wisdom tooth infection most of the day and how much pain they were in and the antibiotics they got. I didn’t particularly want to hear about that all day, but I didn’t DM the mod to complain because things like that are a part of life. Some of these people need to grow up a bit. Life isn’t always easy or pleasant. 

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Being told to not vent because it makes others “uncomfortable.” And just this overall general insistence that we need to be positive and resilient and overall happy all the time no matter what’s going on. 

There are usually places to vent, but I do dislike when people run to mods for seemingly innocuous reasons. We can forgive a bit of overlap.

• Like 5

My minor peeve is going to events where there is always  food. I'm looked at like I'm a pariah if I don't eat or just a few nibbles, and since I'm new to the area I am asked to go first. Now, I'm trying to lose 20 pounds, and this isn't helping.

Is it rude to bring healthy snacks because most seem to want the chips and cocktail wienies and cheese.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, nokat said:

My minor peeve is going to events where there is always  food. I'm looked at like I'm a pariah if I don't eat or just a few nibbles, and since I'm new to the area I am asked to go first. Now, I'm trying to lose 20 pounds, and this isn't helping.

Is it rude to bring healthy snacks because most seem to want the chips and cocktail wienies and cheese.

Can you eat watermelon? Take a platter of cubed watermelon, sliced mint leaves and some very small cubes of feta (or, forget the feta and toss in blueberries). Dress it with a little Citrus Vinaigrette by Ina Garten.  It's pretty, tasty, & healthy! And it's definitely not rude to look out for your health! 🍉

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Can you eat watermelon? Take a platter of cubed watermelon, sliced mint leaves and some very small cubes of feta (or, forget the feta and toss in blueberries). Dress it with a little Citrus Vinaigrette by Ina Garten.  It's pretty, tasty, & healthy! And it's definitely not rude to look out for your health! 🍉

I just made this for company last week and my only suggestion is that it tastes brighter if you use both mint and basil. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
24 minutes ago, nokat said:

I was thinking maybe a vegetable platter with some dips. Veggie straws instead of chips. 

Yup. People love veggie dips. Baby carrots (or whatever they're called) are so easy to handle while balancing a plate & socializing.

• Like 4
On 8/10/2023 at 6:48 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I could understand if my venting was filled with tons of foul (like racist or hateful) language or I were calling people names regularly. But I think it’s completely immature for someone to run to the mod of a Discord and boohoo that because I’m having a hard time and talking about it, they’re simply uncomfortable with that. And then for the mod to message me and tell me I need to “interact in other ways.” I mean, are these 12-year-olds? It seems like there is so little tolerance anymore for people who are struggling and everyone wants to stay contained in a positivity bubble at all times when that’s not the way the world works. If they were the ones venting, I wouldn’t run to the mod about it and insist that they be told to stop because I can’t stand reading it. 

Meanwhile, one of the other members of the server was talking about their wisdom tooth infection most of the day and how much pain they were in and the antibiotics they got. I didn’t particularly want to hear about that all day, but I didn’t DM the mod to complain because things like that are a part of life. Some of these people need to grow up a bit. Life isn’t always easy or pleasant. 

On another site I use I wrote once how I don't condone what this character is doing below but I can relate and found it pretty funny.  How frustrating things can get sometimes.  

I guess the video below was a trigger on this site.  My post got deleted and I got a warning email from the mod.  I just wound up taking a break from the site for a while.  I still post there but I'm not as active

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlzm7-gvTRg

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

The cost of price of concert tickets! Insane how expensive it is. One is $200 for the awful seat and the other is $60. This is Madison square garden so a bad seat is BAD. The performer will be like 2 inches tall from the bad seats. 

Sigh.

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 1
On 8/9/2023 at 7:22 PM, nokat said:
On 8/9/2023 at 12:37 AM, realityplease said:

I find, that it's nicer world when people are pleasant. 

^^So much this. You don't have to nod or smile, but it is so nice when someone does.

Yes.  I would NEVER make a joke of someone.  It’s not funny .  It’s cruel.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Yes.  I would NEVER make a joke of someone.  It’s not funny .  It’s cruel.

It's unfortunately too common. It is never funny. I've had cameras pointed at me and wonder how many likes it will get on tiktok.

• Sad 6

The type of person that thinks he is right at all costs about everything and will never give in.

I know one time this person upset me once as I thought he was just talking over me making me feel like a useless piece of shit.  But then I saw when he was even discussing bands, his opinion was Styk sucks and do better if you are a fan of them.  

That guy just seems like a pompous ass 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

The type of person that thinks he is right at all costs about everything and will never give in.

I know one time this person upset me once as I thought he was just talking over me making me feel like a useless piece of shit.  But then I saw when he was even discussing bands, his opinion was Styk sucks and do better if you are a fan of them.  

That guy just seems like a pompous ass 

Domo arigato Mr. Roboto.

• Like 7
On 8/10/2023 at 5:48 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

Toxic Positivity is a thing. I wish it didn't have to exist. It sucks to feel like you can't express how your feeling in a place where you're comfortable when your mental health has taken a beating due to life events. Then while being in that headspace to have someone they don't want to hear/read it,  I've found quite a few people online and off who like to say things like that only to find out they don't live up to the expectations they set forth to others.

On 8/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, oliviabenson said:

The cost of price of concert tickets! Insane how expensive it is. One is $200 for the awful seat and the other is $60. This is Madison square garden so a bad seat is BAD. The performer will be like 2 inches tall from the bad seats. 

Sigh.

TicketMaster is a company that's needed to be brought down for at least a decade by this point. Instead they've been allowed to continue to ruin ticket purchasing and control pricing.

16 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I was in the hospital recently and had to deal with a night nurse like this over an incorrect med that that she had been trying to get me to take. She yelled at me all the while refusing to listen or check when I told her the med I needed was spelled differently and didn't come in the dose of the one she had given me.  I take two where the generic spellings are super similar. I had to get to people above her the next day to tell them what happened. The next night she gave me the right med without mentioning anything about any of it.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 3
3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I was in the hospital recently and had to deal with a night nurse like this over an incorrect med that that she had been trying to get me to take. She yelled at me all the while refusing to listen or check when I told her the med I needed was spelled differently and didn't come in the dose of the one she had given me.  I take two where the generic spellings are super similar. I had to get to people above her the next day to tell them what happened. The next night she gave me the right med without mentioning anything about any of it.

My sister was a nurse and this happened to her as well.  The nurse on duty tried to give her XXX amount of a particular medication when she should have gotten X amount.  As a non medical person I'd never have noticed that the dosage was wrong and I'd probably have died.  I happened to be in the room with her when this happened and the nurse was being a condescending bitch - she messed with the wrong patient though.  My sister did not suffer fools gladly.

• Applause 8
On 8/6/2023 at 4:59 PM, theredhead77 said:

It's very clear, at least for me. I understand how GoFundMe works, and how it fills a gap to support our fellow persons that our "social systems" clearly failed at.

It seems that lots of people have it in their hearts to help strangers. Frankly, hearing this story gives me hope for humanity. Constantly bombarded with the societal attitude of "I've got mine, pull yourself up like I did", while pulling up the proverbial rope they used so the support systems that helped them aren't available to those who need it now, is so toxic and exhausting. (that's a peeve of mine).

FWIW, the family will have to pay taxes on that money as "other income".

I've seen a lot of posts like this on next-door lately. One woman was desperate to get some dog food, because she's had it worse this Summer, had run out, and wasn't getting paid for over a week. One woman told her to re-home her dog, if she couldn't look after it. I responded with the fact that if she did try to rehome her dog, she would be reamed for that, too. 

Other people have just told people to get jobs, and stop asking for help. I guess they aren't paying attention to the fact that prices have gone up on everything, and our property taxes were just raised by a lot, after our houses were appraised as being much more valuable than they are ($$ wise, not valuable as in having a roof over our heads). 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Fire 1

Oh, I forgot about one of my more recent peeves: my blender jug got messed up (Blendtec). The blade was loose, and leaking everything. I was able to use it for a little while, as long as the smoothie was really thick - putting frozen fruit all over the bottom, adding powders, and then liquid, once the fruit had softened up a bit. Then it was too thick to leak. 

I still haven't had dental work, but I realized I would need a working blender, if I'm going to have to get it done, so that I can make my blended soups, smoothies, etc. Dad bought me a new jug, that's on its way, but it's about a third of the price of a new blender! Something like $144, just for a new jug, like my old one. My mum would have called it daylight robbery. It used to be $119, which isn't much better. 

Also, my internet is dying. It's now freezing all the time, when I'm just trying to watch something. Things keep breaking, and we can't afford to fix it all. 

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 6
1 hour ago, Anela said:

Other people have just told people to get jobs

Clearly the people saying that are not looking for work, or listening to anyone who is, instead just swallowing that "there are jobs just begging to be filled everywhere, but no one wants to work" BS.

On my NextDoor, I thankfully rarely see "get a job" type responses, but we do get a lot of "look for resources (by which they mean public assistance, local charity organizations, etc.)" responses, which, if that's all they say, are not helpful.  First, there are plenty of people who don't qualify, but are still in terrible financial shape.  Second, even if they do, that takes time -- sometimes people need cash to cover an immediate need, and then they can navigate trying to get sustained help going forward.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, Anela said:

Other people have just told people to get jobs, and stop asking for help.

The funny thing is that I have a job (after working for years in jobs that paid peanuts) and can pay my bills, buy groceries, and am able to put a little bit a way. Now I've been told I'm overpaid.  Making a living wage is being overpaid! Really, my pay is what the minimum wage should be at, or at least close to it.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Fire 1

Petty peeve: Those online lists of "Out-of-date trends that are making your home look old" or "Ditch these things around your house now!" Unless I'm selling my house, my home decor doesn't have to please anyone but ME. I surround myself with things that make me happy and function well for me. If my Tiffany-style lamps and mahogany furniture don't suit the IKEA stylists, my 113-year-old house and I don't care. We're not trying to impress anyone.

• Like 7
  • Applause 7
11 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

Petty peeve: Those online lists of "Out-of-date trends that are making your home look old" or "Ditch these things around your house now!" Unless I'm selling my house, my home decor doesn't have to please anyone but ME. I surround myself with things that make me happy and function well for me. If my Tiffany-style lamps and mahogany furniture don't suit the IKEA stylists, my 113-year-old house and I don't care. We're not trying to impress anyone.

I'm withe you. We live in a 1940's bungalow and I've inherited a lot of furniture from grandparents and other family, what the design mavens these days call "big browns". I've got solid mahogany, walnut, cherry and oak furniture and I think it's really beautiful. Screw that fast crappy Ikea junk.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 6
  • Applause 5

Those lists bug me because they usually just say the dumbest things, whether or not they apply to me. Same with women's magazines/websites with the "12 great ideas for summer hair!!!" or whatever -- like, I think we already know about a ponytail, you assholes!

• Like 5
  • LOL 4
21 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Those lists bug me because they usually just say the dumbest things, whether or not they apply to me. Same with women's magazines/websites with the "12 great ideas for summer hair!!!" or whatever -- like, I think we already know about a ponytail, you assholes!

Or said hairstyle requires you to have $300 worth of tools at your disposal plus an hour to achieve said hairstyle.  I want a list of styles that can be achieved in 15 minutes or less using the tools and products I already have on hand, thank you.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Or said hairstyle requires you to have $300 worth of tools at your disposal plus an hour to achieve said hairstyle.  I want a list of styles that can be achieved in 15 minutes or less using the tools and products I already have on hand, thank you.

It's so hot here, right now my hair is piled on top of my head with a couple of claw clips. I didn't even brush it. Fuck it.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Ha, yeah (but they want to sell you that shit, don't forget)! But for me, again, it's the obvious things that make me mad -- like the ponytail...or jeans or a cardigan as a "closet staple"...or a busted out old window with tattered dirty curtains blowing in the wind making your house look old.

I also get super-mean about lists telling me that I, at my age, better stop wearing old Levi's or band Ts or DMs or whatever and then, I guess, donate them to Goodwill so that the young whippersnappers can be as cool as the article doesn't want me to be? No. NO!

It's so hot here, right now my hair is piled on top of my head with a couple of claw clips. I didn't even brush it. Fuck it.

This is me always. Some magazine probably thinks that we're too old for a claw clip and/or that a claw clip is some revolutionary idea that they can suggest to us, hahahha!

I actually bought a copy of Cosmo the other day, just because I was going to the beach and thought that kind of reading would be fun. It wasn't. It was dumber than I remember. I threw it in the recycling after barely skimming the titles. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6

I remember years ago someone posted one of those stupid lists here; it was something like Things Women Over 40 Shouldn't Have/Do, and most of the things listed were not at all specific to women, never mind middle-aged women.  One was dead houseplants.  Um, that's something everyone should toss (or, you know, take care of to avoid in the first place), not just women over 40.

• Like 5

My favourite in this department was when we were selling our house a few years ago and I came across a list of things sellers should do to make their house look better that was headed "Hot New Tips for Selling in a Tough Market".  De-clutter,  fix broken stuff and make sure your house doesn't smell are hardly revolutionary concepts.  Or hot.  Or new.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
31 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

My favourite in this department was when we were selling our house a few years ago and I came across a list of things sellers should do to make their house look better that was headed "Hot New Tips for Selling in a Tough Market".  De-clutter,  fix broken stuff and make sure your house doesn't smell are hardly revolutionary concepts.  Or hot.  Or new.

I can understand this one.  There are a lot of people who lack common sense while being both delusional and lazy.  That list is the bare minimum a homeowner can do in order to get top dollar for their home or just even sell their home.  

• Useful 3

One of my hobbies is to troll a website which consolidates all real estate listings. It's shocking to see the prices these houses are fetching, especially when the site shows the sales history over decades, so you can tell when the homeowners are doubling their money in just a few years.  The interior shots are all the same. Damn, people.  I know your realtor has told you how to stage your house but there is no individual style, everything is the colour of old bras (favoured by the Instagram set and Magnolia viewers), and I swear they have all rented storage units because there is no way people live with so little stuff.   A friend works at HomeSense (Canada's Home Goods) and says they have to put a stop to realtors buying knick knacks and decorative items, using them to stage homes (with tags still attached), then returning them. 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
11 minutes ago, Quof said:

One of my hobbies is to troll a website which consolidates all real estate listings. It's shocking to see the prices these houses are fetching, especially when the site shows the sales history over decades, so you can tell when the homeowners are doubling their money in just a few years.  The interior shots are all the same. Damn, people.  I know your realtor has told you how to stage your house but there is no individual style, everything is the colour of old bras (favoured by the Instagram set and Magnolia viewers), and I swear they have all rented storage units because there is no way people live with so little stuff.   A friend works at HomeSense (Canada's Home Goods) and says they have to put a stop to realtors buying knick knacks and decorative items, using them to stage homes (with tags still attached), then returning them. 

When we sold my dad's house, first we took everything we wanted  ( mostly sentimental things, my mom's jewelry and the dining room furniture and yes, we had to rent a storage unit), then I had my parents dearest friends over for pizza and wine and told them to take anything they wanted (mostly pictures from my dad's racing days and a few cookbooks) then I had a company that specialized in estate sales come in and they got rid of everything else. Then my husband spent a week deep cleaning the house ( this was during the pandemic, he had three months off, paid). And finally we got a realtor who had a stager and photographer come in and put it on the market. The whole ordeal took about a year and a half.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
54 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I can understand this one.  There are a lot of people who lack common sense while being both delusional and lazy.  That list is the bare minimum a homeowner can do in order to get top dollar for their home or just even sell their home.  

Fair point.  If the pandemic taught me anything it should have been never underestimate how stupid people can be.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Quof said:

These empty houses are occupied!

The house next door to my daughter's went on the market recently and I looked at the listing and would never have known it was the same house (I had been in it a few times).  They were still living in it but they had not only removed (or hidden god knows where) all their personal things but they had changed out all the paintings and some of the furniture.  The place looked like a model home you'd see in a new development.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Hmmm, when I think about some of the photos I see on Zillow, the more I agree that maybe this list is necessary. Like, at least pull up the comforter, people!

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hmmm, when I think about some of the photos I see on Zillow, the more I agree that maybe this list is necessary. Like, at least pull up the comforter, people!

And put the toilet seat down.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Like, at least pull up the comforter, people!

I remember going to an open house once where there were piles of clothing on the stairs and a sink full of dishes.  I assumed the agent figured "the hell with it".

• LOL 2