Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

Trying to explain things to stubborn people can be one of the most draining things one can try.

But in a way though this is why I grew up with social anxiety....  I have family members that are stubborn and always sort of refuse to understand my point of view 

• Hugs 9
2 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Trying to explain things to stubborn people can be one of the most draining things one can try.

But in a way though this is why I grew up with social anxiety....  I have family members that are stubborn and always sort of refuse to understand my point of view 

Exactly why *I'M* socially anxious.  I'm hoping my kids' book (where I kind of side eye boomers who criticize how we cook/so-called "bastardize" old food traditions) will be therapy for me.

• Hugs 4
23 hours ago, roseha said:

Hi @Kitty Redstone it's the Epson Surecolor P600.  It can print sheets up to 13 inches wide though I mainly print between 8-1/2 x 11 to 11x14 or so though I have made a few panoramas on it.  I think there is a newer model called the P700 which is probably similar.

Aside from being heavy and using a lot of inks I find it works well as long as I don't let too much time go between printing (a week or so is probably best but I get away with longer and just run a head cleaning if it looks strange).  I did have a bad experience with it giving me a bad error message once but I was able to solve that by replacing one of the inks.

My laserjet is a Canon which is fine, I just need it for letters, labels etc. 

Thank you so much! Yes the ecotank is the same - I don't use it regularly and so have to run a head cleaning or two after printing just a few full color pages. A wide format printer has been on my wish list for awhile and it's wonderful to have a testimonial for one.

I also have a Canon laserjet but use a Brother the most because the toner is so much cheaper.

Thank you again!

• Like 1
On 6/4/2023 at 12:32 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

In New York State they trust us to pump our own gas but not to leave the pump unattended. Thus they must disable the little prop that would hold the trigger in the on position.  You have to stand there the whole time holding the pump.

I know exactly which gas stations, and which pumps at those gas stations, have not been disabled. They are few and far between here in NY, so this is my version of truffle hunting. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
12 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I know exactly which gas stations, and which pumps at those gas stations, have not been disabled. They are few and far between here in NY, so this is my version of truffle hunting. 

This is unicorn hunting, as far as I'm concerned.  I've never seen this.

9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is unicorn hunting, as far as I'm concerned.  I've never seen this.

I have two guesses as to how I've found more than one, and how they got that way.

First guess is that these pumps are ones where something happened to the hose/nozzle (like somebody drove off with it still in the tank) and the replacement didn't get altered.

Second guess is that the guy who was installing the 16 pumps lives locally and "accidentally" left one intact so that he could pump his gas comfortably. 

As two of them are at gas stations 8 miles apart, but are the same brand AND the same pump location give or take, I'm leaning towards it being intentionally accidentally done.

• LOL 4

Great, maybe you can DM me with the locations LOL.  NYC or Long Island?  If not, won't be useful to me, but I'm curious.

I meant to say for the non New Yorkers reading that any full-service pumps in NYS allow the pump jockeys to lock the triggers.  So some stations have full service pumps in the middle of the station and some are all full service for whatever reason. 

(edited)
17 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

any full-service pumps in NYS allow the pump jockeys to lock the triggers.

This is the unicorn for me. We have exactly zero full-service pumps/stations in my city. The last one shuttered about 6-8 yrs ago. Wouldn't matter I suppose, as there wouldn't be anyone willing to do it now anyway. Don't get me wrong, I've pumped my own gas for the 40+ years I've been driving, but sometimes, you're having one of those days...

So the pump handle prop thingy - is that NY state law or something?* We have them on all pumps.

*Stupid question. Of course it is.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
(edited)
On 6/2/2023 at 6:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

I need a sane opinion on something. An acquaintance was talking about making their au pair sleep in their child's room. I said they were essentially forcing this person to work 24 hours a day which is akin to slavery. They replied as long as they're paying them, it's not slavery. It got pretty heated. What are your thoughts?

Lazy mother?  I got up for feedings most times.  Husband did the one o clock bottle even tho he worked.  We had a rocking chair in there.  Nice bonding time in the rocker.  Don’t they have a monitor?  I remember rocking them and kissing them constantly. Lol.  24 hrs is asking too much IMO.   How old is the child?

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Lazy mother?  I got up for feedings most times.  Husband did the one o clock bottle even tho he worked.  We had a rocking chair in there.  Nice bonding time in the rocker.  Don’t they have a monitor?  I remember rocking them and kissing them constantly. Lol.  24 hrs is asking too much IMO.   How old is the child?

Not old enough for school. And she refers to the au pair/nanny as a 'servant'.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Mind Blown 10
  • Sad 2
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Not old enough for school. And she refers to the au pair/nanny as a 'servant'.

And it's not a language/semantics thing, correct?  I know that in Cantonese, the term used, at least when I was growing up, was often "gung yun" (translates to "work person"/"worker") for help/nannies (au pairs who're working for a year and then going home aren't common in Hong Kong).  These days, they're called "helpers," at least in English.  But even then, they have their own space.  It's the size of a broom closet (most people live in apartments there, so not big, suburban houses.  Most people's rooms are broom closets compared to this side of the Pacific), but still their own space.  The women who go to Hong Kong to work are mostly from the Philippines or Indonesia.  If it's a matter of semantics, then perhaps someone can gently let her know that things are different here.  I think we've come to a point that we're nervous to do anything to correct people with different backgrounds.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

And it's not a language/semantics thing, correct?  I know that in Cantonese, the term used, at least when I was growing up, was often "gung yun" (translates to "work person"/"worker") for help/nannies (au pairs who're working for a year and then going home aren't common in Hong Kong).  These days, they're called "helpers," at least in English.  But even then, they have their own space.  It's the size of a broom closet (most people live in apartments there, so not big, suburban houses.  Most people's rooms are broom closets compared to this side of the Pacific), but still their own space.  The women who go to Hong Kong to work are mostly from the Philippines or Indonesia.  If it's a matter of semantics, then perhaps someone can gently let her know that things are different here.  I think we've come to a point that we're nervous to do anything to correct people with different backgrounds.

Born USA American person. She just has delusions of grandeur.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1

My 4 1/2 year old has self-confidence issues and always wants assurance.  It’s getting extremely frustrating because he never wants to be wrong.  We were making a card for his teacher and he asked me how to spell her name.  I made him guess by exaggerating the sounds (he knows sounds of letters).  But he kept on asking me if it was correct.  I just kept on making sounds.  That’s what we’re encouraged to do.  We don’t tell our kids.  I told him that he had to guess, but I’m so over that!  Why can’t he just write what he thinks, even if it’s wrong?  He seems to be ok doing that at school.  Am I unintentionally giving off Tiger Mom vibes?  I

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't imagine trying to spell a person's name based on someone sounding it out phonetically. 

It was a pretty easy last name.  Think "Johnson" or something.  Think "jjjjjjjj--on (he knows how to spell words like "on")-ssssssss-"on."  Copying words isn't encouraged in many cases.  Kids are allowed to make mistakes, but he seems to be afraid to be wrong.  He has permission to.  I don't want him to think he needs to be perfect every time.  I don't know what my parents are doing when they're caring for him, but I worry that they're pushing the "perfectionist" thing.  His self-confidence isn't all that great and I decided too late that theatre/drama camp would be a good idea to help him with presentation skills.  There aren't that many for kids his age to begin with and most are booked up or on weeks where he's already registered for other camps!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can't imagine trying to spell a person's name based on someone sounding it out phonetically. 

I can't imagine spelling anything at 4-1/2 years old!  My first step into a classroom in my life was the first day of first grade, and I was a completely blank slate.  And I showed up alone; my mother dropped me off out front. To this day I have a distaste for showing up at places and not knowing the drill.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I can't imagine spelling anything at 4-1/2 years old!  My first step into a classroom in my life was the first day of first grade, and I was a completely blank slate.  And I showed up alone; my mother dropped me off out front. To this day I have a distaste for showing up at places and not knowing the drill.

Most of the kids in his class know all their letters and sounds and can read simple words!  The program is still play-based, but there's seat work as well.  Note that at least half the kids in his class speak a language OTHER than English at home.  I've seen the work kids do at his new school as well, and it's not too different.   

• Like 2

Predictably, Comcast/Xfinity notifies us that they will no longer provide Peacock+ at no charge as part of their outrageously priced cable subscription. Will be $2.99/mo after June something-or-other, for 12 months.

After that it's anyone's guess. Sky is the limit isn't it?

• Mind Blown 4
10 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Predictably, Comcast/Xfinity notifies us that they will no longer provide Peacock+ at no charge as part of their outrageously priced cable subscription. Will be $2.99/mo after June something-or-other, for 12 months.

I thought it was only for a year? I lost access when I moved but I could have sworn the free access was for the first year.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

16 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I thought it was only for a year? I lost access when I moved but I could have sworn the free access was for the first year.

They announced a while ago that free Peacock was going to end at the end of June. They want to get their ducks in a row for Olympic coverage in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I think Peacock is currently being offered as a standalone for $19 a year?  Not being a shill, ha ha, just saying it's cheap if you want to watch it on your Roku.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Given that Comcast and NBC/Peacock are the same company, note the corporate logo below, they were going to get that $2.99 from you one way or another. Making TV is very expensive.

They can either raise your cable bill by three bucks, or they give you the option to drop it or pay for it separately. 

If anything, this was probably a customer friendly move. They're letting you pay for something a la carte as opposed to just bundling it in and saying "you get this for free!"

And yes, @roseha, I signed up for that $19 full year when I saw the offer. It's too bad it expires before the Olympics.

image.png.ac8c852bab72eb490e089b887d4ba87b.png

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, roseha said:

I think Peacock is currently being offered as a standalone for $19 a year?  Not being a shill, ha ha, just saying it's cheap if you want to watch it on your Roku.

Ohh! Thank you! My Chase card has a $3 'cash back' and Rakuten has $6 back. So I just got myself Peacock for $11. :D 

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

One of my peeves is not knowing how to actually pronounce words I've never heard said out loud. 

Mispronouncing words could be seen as a sign of a well-read person.

I remember in college I took a literature class with a friend and a character in one of the books was named Ian, and she answered a question about the book in class and mangled "Ian" so horribly that the teacher finally had to ask who she was talking about.  I wish I could remember how she pronounced it because it really was unrecognizable, and it has only three letters.

What I dislike worse than mispronouncing words is knowing they're pronounced one way but also knowing that almost nobody knows that so you have to decide whether to pronounce it correctly and have people think you're wrong or pronounce it incorrectly and you'll inevitably be talking to someone who does know how it's pronouned and they'll think YOU don't know how it's pronounced.  I never use the word "forte"; anyone I ever talk about will have a strong suit instead.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I still remember the meeting where I learned how to pronounce the word “paradigm”.  Fortunately I never had to say it aloud before I heard it.  This was the pre-internet days when there was no online dictionary to provide enlightenment!

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

I still remember the meeting where I learned how to pronounce the word “paradigm”.  Fortunately I never had to say it aloud before I heard it.  This was the pre-internet days when there was no online dictionary to provide enlightenment!

I'm glad I learned that word in philosophy class in college or I would have been at sea.

• Like 3

My favorite story about words you've read vs heard is from when my toddler was throwing a fit about something and my 5 or 6 year old said he'd try to "co-ax" her into doing something.  I didn't even think he could read at that point but I guess he'd heard me griping about setting up the cable tv enough times.

• Like 3
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

The name Sean. I read it in the books and had no idea how to pronounce it. Yeahhhh. 

Ugh. My parents liked to go to the drive in movies a lot when I was small. For years I pronounced it 'Seen' Connery.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

They can either raise your cable bill by three bucks, or they give you the option to drop it or pay for it separately. 

Yes, I know. Don't they raise it 3$ bucks monthly anyway? (sarcasm font).

And I know JT, we should just take it and shut up about it.

• Fire 2
  • LOL 3

Oh right!  My kids fell into that window between where the Harry Potter books came out, and when the movies came out.  The middle one was perplexed at "her-me-own"

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh. My parents liked to go to the drive in movies a lot when I was small. For years I pronounced it 'Seen' Connery.

There are people who have named their kids Sean & pronounce it "seen". I'm just glad I never used the word "genre" out loud (until I heard a college professor use it and thought, "Ah-hah! So *that's* how it's pronounced").

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
33 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

The name Sean. I read it in the books and had no idea how to pronounce it. Yeahhhh. 

For me it was Reggie from the Archie comics.  For ages I thought it was pronounced as Eggy but with an R. 

• LOL 4
27 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh right!  My kids fell into that window between where the Harry Potter books came out, and when the movies came out.  The middle one was perplexed at "her-me-own"

My husband was reading those books and he had to ask me how to pronounce her name.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I remember in college I took a literature class with a friend and a character in one of the books was named Ian, and she answered a question about the book in class and mangled "Ian" so horribly that the teacher finally had to ask who she was talking about.  I wish I could remember how she pronounced it because it really was unrecognizable, and it has only three letters.

My husband really struggled over pronouncing the name Ewan. He'd heard it, of course, because of Ewan McGregor, but hadn't seen it spelled out.

1 hour ago, Caoimhe said:

Ha ha! For me it's the word hegemony.

And trattoria, which I have to remind myself does not sound like Victoria.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

They announced a while ago that free Peacock was going to end at the end of June.

I haven't seen that.  They closed it to new subscribers at the end of January, but existing subscribers still have it.  I can't find an announcement it's ending altogether at the end of this month.