Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Men on dating apps not even flirting or trying to have a conversation. Straight to hook up question. Any decent guys long snatched up!

You know I 100% agree with you there. I'm sorry you've had a particularly rough time with those not so gentlemanly men.

Another pet peeve is men who won't take a hint you're not interested. Look, I get I'm not great with being blunt. I try to be nice and not hurt anyone's feelings. But if a woman never flirts back, takes forever to respond to texts (if she responds at all), turns down invites to things, she's not into you. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Living in Seattle, it amazes me how many people don't know how to drive in the rain. 

It's not just crappy driving in rain. It's crappy driving in all kinds of weather. They need to bring back driver Ed in high schools. And hire more traffic police! I try to stay home on weekends now as the weekend warriors are out there speeding through parking lots, service roads at shopping centers, and even side roads.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Why are so many shoes either sexy but shaped in a way no one's toe box is or look like they're made strictly for comfort? I wish they made more shoes where the heel is thicker and the toe box is more wide, rather than getting further away from the natural foot with all the pointed toe styles. 

Supposedly the elongated pointy toe is sexier than the rounded wide toe.  Unfortunately most women's feet are wider in the toe area and thinner in the heel area.  What I want to know is why wide width shoes are wide all over if this is the case.  I find that when the shoe fits in the toe area it slides off in the back and when it fits in the back it's too tight in the front.  It's gotten to the point that I put every new pair of shoes in shoe stretchers for several days before wearing them.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

It's not just crappy driving in rain. It's crappy driving in all kinds of weather. They need to bring back driver Ed in high schools. And hire more traffic police! I try to stay home on weekends now as the weekend warriors are out there speeding through parking lots, service roads at shopping centers, and even side roads.

You sound like me!  I also try to stay home on weekends for the same reason.  Here in CT we are having a crisis of traffic accidents - many are one car accidents but also "wrong way driver" accidents.  And the weekend drivers are aggressive speed demons anymore.  Meanwhile we don't see much increased traffic law enforcement which is only encouraging that behavior.

If I do go out on weekends I stay close to home and take back roads to avoid the insanity on the main roads.  Fortunately around here there haven't been too many road warriors on most of them, although a few days ago there was a one car accident on one when a delivery truck hit a power line pole and our power was out for a couple of hours as a result.  And there's one winding back road I completely avoid now since a FedEx truck almost veered over the line coming at me around a turn (gotta watch out for those delivery trucks).  I have my heart in my mouth every time my husband goes to work anymore since he's down to NYC almost every time.  He's an excellent driver but it's getting harder and harder to avoid the maniacs on the roads.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

You know I 100% agree with you there. I'm sorry you've had a particularly rough time with those not so gentlemanly men.

Another pet peeve is men who won't take a hint you're not interested. Look, I get I'm not great with being blunt. I try to be nice and not hurt anyone's feelings. But if a woman never flirts back, takes forever to respond to texts (if she responds at all), turns down invites to things, she's not into you. 

If I’m not interested I block and move on. 

• Like 1

If I ever divorce my husband it will be because he has this annoying habit of talking over scenes on a TV show, then rewinding to catch what he missed, and then talking over that scene and then rewinding...well you get where this is going.  Huge peeve.  I mean I love that our cable provider offers this option but somehow I don't think this was what they had in mind.  First world problem but still annoying!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 6

You know the expression "a punchable face"? Well, I apparently have a "lecture-able face". Something about me prompts others to lecture me at random for alleged crimes I'm guilty of, or opinions I may or may not have (and definitely haven't even voiced). Now, if I actually did something wrong, I can forgive this, but 98% of the time, my very existence just triggers spiels from people. I was buying something from Goodwill and I was wearing my surgical mask (yes, I still mask up while shopping), and the cashier went on this passive aggressive tirade about how paper masks are clogging up the ocean. He thought I was too stupid to know he was referring to me. Fuck that guy.

I don't think I'm always right, or even that smart... but I refuse to believe I'm as stupid and wrong as the rest of the world seems to think I am!

• Like 8
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I was buying something from Goodwill and I was wearing my surgical mask (yes, I still mask up while shopping), and the cashier went on this passive aggressive tirade about how paper masks are clogging up the ocean. He thought I was too stupid to know he was referring to me.

Another masker here.  I've been very fortunate about this, no one has said anything to me, or within my hearing.  But I think my sister must have that same lecturable face that you have because she's had a few snotty comments directed her way.  She's not the type though to take it and walk away - which would definitely be me.  There have been scenes and she goes for the jugular.  I pity the fool who messes with her.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
Just now, Elizabeth Anne said:

Another masker here.  I've been very fortunate about this, no one has said anything to me, or within my hearing.  But I think my sister must have that same lecturable face that you have because she's had a few snotty comments directed her way.  She's not the type though to take it and walk away - which would definitely be me.  There have been scenes and she goes for the jugular.  I pity the fool who messes with her.

I wish I could be more like your sister.

My mom and I differ politically, and while I think it's best to just never discuss that stuff (it's no fun, anyway), she goes on tirades on current events. I think she thinks I'm responsible for the ills of the world because of my political affiliation. She'd never admit it, but it's hard for me not to suspect as much. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 1

I (used to) enjoy lazing in bed for a while on Sunday mornings listening to NPR's Weekend Edition before I got up.  No more.  They have a newish presenter who has the most annoying, grating, high-pitched, un-soothing voice imaginable.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 1
24 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

There have been scenes and she goes for the jugular.

Hi, sis!  🙂

A slim majority still wear masks in the stores I shop in, so I haven't encountered too many anti-mask idiots (by idiot I don't mean someone who chooses not to wear a mask, but one who thinks someone else wearing a protective device is somehow instead an attack on them) who feel compelled to say something about me wearing one, but the couple of times I have, they heard right back.

• Like 5
  • Applause 5

I have never felt a need to say anything to someone wearing/not wearing  a mask since the beginning of this tortuous hell we have all been subjected to dealing with, even now when wearing isn’t the majority. When I see the random person still wearing one I have compassion for them and hope one day they will not have to wear one. On the flip side of your mask peeve issue, there are probably the same amount of mask wearers who go off on non mask wearers. I have seen it a few times recently by witnessing it happen to others. I don’t think it is a mask issue but a people issue. If it isn’t masks with a type it is something else. 

Edited by stewedsquash
Veggining?
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Apparently with @Caoimhe...

Yes it is.  Even our trees are still covered in snow though the roads are good.  Another 9” is coming over the next 24 hours, after that another storm Wednesday/Thursday is currently predicted to bring another 5-6”, and yet another storm NEXT Sunday into Monday with no amounts yet.  Anyone who would like to take some of it away with them is most welcome to do so!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

You know the expression "a punchable face"? Well, I apparently have a "lecture-able face". Something about me prompts others to lecture me at random for alleged crimes I'm guilty of, or opinions I may or may not have (and definitely haven't even voiced). Now, if I actually did something wrong, I can forgive this, but 98% of the time, my very existence just triggers spiels from people. I was buying something from Goodwill and I was wearing my surgical mask (yes, I still mask up while shopping), and the cashier went on this passive aggressive tirade about how paper masks are clogging up the ocean. He thought I was too stupid to know he was referring to me. Fuck that guy.

I don't think I'm always right, or even that smart... but I refuse to believe I'm as stupid and wrong as the rest of the world seems to think I am!

6 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I've never lectured people (offline) about masks, either, except my dad, when I would ask him to please wear one. But I've had a couple of comments. I feel lucky that it hasn't happened much at all. Once, when I was still recovering from the effects of covid, wearing my mask and shopping earlier on a Sunday, than I usually do, a couple passed me, and the woman said to her husband, "DON'T" quietly, but firmly, and I thought it might be about my mask. He had a nice wife, and she saved him from what I would have had to say, especially since I was still having issues from a mild case. I also don't want to end up on youtube or tiktok, so she saved me, too. Almost everyone is nice, though.

Just before Christmas, I had a bit of an older couple say something, and the other one said, "I know" as they were getting closer to me. they acted as though I didn't exist, when they passed. Moved over a bit. 🙄

4 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

I have never felt a need to say anything to someone wearing/not wearing  a mask since the beginning of this tortuous hell we have all been subjected to dealing with, even now when wearing isn’t the majority. When I see the random person still wearing one I have compassion for them and hope one day they will not have to wear one. On the flip side of your mask peeve issue, there are probably the same amount of mask wearers who go off on non mask wearers. I have seen it a few times recently by witnessing it happen to others. I don’t think it is a mask issue but a people issue. If it isn’t masks with a type it is something else. 

I wear one, because I don't want covid again. I'm happy not getting the flu, as well, or colds, if I can manage it. I'm going to wear one, as long as this pandemic continues.

my dad is a delivery driver, mostly mail bags, and I worry about him out there, especially in the snow. Too many drivers don't seem to care what could happen to themselves, or him. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Anela said:

I suppose I could have this printed on some cards, so that I wouldn't have to say anything:

f40.jpg

I love this! Guess one could print it and keep it handy while out & about. I've been fortunate that no one has ever said anything to me about my wearing a mask. But a couple weeks ago, I noticed a few women (in different stores) glaring at me. The only reason I could think of was that my mask ticked them off. Luv my masks. Some I coordinate with my outfits 😸.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 1

I am constantly not knowing where I put my remote and/or my cell phone. 

Today’s gripe: That it takes so long to pay out unemployment in my state. I have five qualifying weeks I filed for (won’t get one week of pay since I had a vacation payout, which is fine) and still have not received anything. I haven’t had income in a month now. I had to call my state senator’s office today and the staffer said to call them again later this week if I haven’t spoken either to him or to unemployment by Wednesday. I’m glad he’s helping but it’s ridiculous for it to come to this in the first place. 

• Sad 6
1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I am constantly not knowing where I put my remote and/or my cell phone. 

Today’s gripe: That it takes so long to pay out unemployment in my state. I have five qualifying weeks I filed for (won’t get one week of pay since I had a vacation payout, which is fine) and still have not received anything. I haven’t had income in a month now. I had to call my state senator’s office today and the staffer said to call them again later this week if I haven’t spoken either to him or to unemployment by Wednesday. I’m glad he’s helping but it’s ridiculous for it to come to this in the first place. 

You’re in PA correct?

Did you receive any communication from them at all?

When you have the time, call your local unemployment office. I did for someone and it moved things along. You may be on hold for a bit.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

You’re in PA correct?

Did you receive any communication from them at all?

When you have the time, call your local unemployment office. I did for someone and it moved things along. You may be on hold for a bit.

I already did which is why I called my rep. The person at unemployment didn’t know when my claim would reach an examiner and told me what forms to upload which I did. That was two weeks ago. I need money right now. I am due five weeks worth of payments. I cannot wait anymore. 

When my mom lost her job she called the state rep and everything was resolved within a few days. The staffer at the rep’s office told me to call him again on Wednesday if we don’t have any communication before then. 

I deserve this money and I am beyond angry that I’m still waiting. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

Ugh, when I bite into a sandwich and a whole lettuce leaf comes out and dangles off my lip while I quickly try to either pull it and drop it on my plate or shove it in my mouth. And it always happens as someone is walking by my desk. Smh.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6
On 1/23/2023 at 12:25 PM, Cloud9Shopper said:

I already did which is why I called my rep. The person at unemployment didn’t know when my claim would reach an examiner and told me what forms to upload which I did. That was two weeks ago. I need money right now. I am due five weeks worth of payments. I cannot wait anymore. 

When my mom lost her job she called the state rep and everything was resolved within a few days. The staffer at the rep’s office told me to call him again on Wednesday if we don’t have any communication before then. 

I deserve this money and I am beyond angry that I’m still waiting. 

I keep thinking about this. Have you heard anything?

18 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I keep thinking about this. Have you heard anything?

Thanks. My claim was expedited to an examiner but I haven’t received a determination or had any payments released yet. It’s been seven weeks today since my layoff and I applied the day after I got laid off. 

I may call my rep’s office again tomorrow to see if the staffer suggests calling unemployment or if he can send another message to them. It’s very frustrating; I honestly can’t believe the state expects people to live like this and go without benefits.  

If nothing happens soon I’ll have to take out of a 401k to survive. That’s the other thing…I graduated in 2008 and we just keep getting hit with crappy job markets and economic conditions. Retirement feels like a pipe dream. 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Sad 6
4 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Thanks. My claim was expedited to an examiner but I haven’t received a determination or had any payments released yet. It’s been seven weeks today since my layoff and I applied the day after I got laid off. 

I may call my rep’s office again tomorrow to see if the staffer suggests calling unemployment or if he can send another message to them. It’s very frustrating; I honestly can’t believe the state expects people to live like this and go without benefits.  

If nothing happens soon I’ll have to take out of a 401k to survive. That’s the other thing…I graduated in 2008 and we just keep getting hit with crappy job markets and economic conditions. Retirement feels like a pipe dream. 

When I got laid off in 2011, I got unemployment for a year and a half. I hope you get yours soon, with back pay to the day you left your job.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Can you borrow from the 401(k) instead of withdraw?  The penalties are so high if you withdraw.  I'm hoping your payments come in before that.   Also there may be penalty free withdrawals for the unemployed. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
On 1/22/2023 at 12:36 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

If I ever divorce my husband it will be because he has this annoying habit of talking over scenes on a TV show, then rewinding to catch what he missed, and then talking over that scene and then rewinding...well you get where this is going.  Huge peeve.  I mean I love that our cable provider offers this option but somehow I don't think this was what they had in mind.  First world problem but still annoying!

My husband talks over the TV but I'm the one pausing and rewinding it when he does that so I don't miss anything.  I've taken to leaving the closed-captioning on so that I can read the dialog even if he's drowning it out.  Needless to say he drives me nuts when he does this!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I am one of a small minority of people that wear masks in stores, but only when there are enough people in it for me to feel uncomfortable not wearing one.  Of course no matter what, there are always those one or two people that just HAVE to get all up close in my personal space for no good reason.  And that's a big pet peeve of mine.  There's just no need for someone to hover over me while I'm shopping.  I don't hang around too long in the aisles but it still happens to me all the time.  I sometimes think it's because I'm short and tall people think they can bend and reach over me at will. 

Speaking of staying too long anywhere, another pet peeve of mine is people that stand in an aisle in the supermarket as if mesmerized by a specific shelf for 20 minutes when I just want to pick something up that they're standing right in front of.  I hate to be that person to say "excuse me" but I don't have 20 minutes to wait for them to make up their mind, LOL.  At least I'm not hovering or reaching around them like people do to me, though!

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

This article from Experian gives some advice on getting a loan without a job. I hope some of it might help.  This article from Bank Rate discusses the pros and cons of borrowing from one's 401K.

BTW, I sympathize with your plight but this is not a problem unique to your generation.  In addition to the crappy job markets and conditions since 2008 people my age have lived through even more recessions, crappy job markets and bad stock market conditions before that, which has left a lot of people in their 50s and 60s with depleted or wiped out retirement accounts.  My husband is one of them.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My husband talks over the TV but I'm the one pausing and rewinding it when he does that so I don't miss anything.  I've taken to leaving the closed-captioning on so that I can read the dialog even if he's drowning it out.  Needless to say he drives me nuts when he does this!

My BF does too and I really don't care -- I am sure I do it as well. BUT...he sometimes gets annoyed if I pause the show; he'll sometimes say sarcastically, "Sorry to interrupt." Like, what? That's what the pause function is for -- and I am clearly picking YOU over the show! 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

You will laugh, but my husband and I both like to stop and talk about the show we are watching together, so we have to stop and ask for a pause if the other person is holding the remote.  We have two remotes for the Roku, so we each hold one ourselves!  We call the remote the pauser as a joke.  My brother in law sometimes watches a movie with us and he thinks we are crazy.  Oh, yeah we always use closed captions as well, but that's just 'cause we can't hear so well anymore.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

We have two Roku remotes now too,* and also pause to talk about shows, so we should do this too!

*Because we lost one -- it was CRAZY! I tore apart our living room twice and also looked in the most ridiculous (but not impossible) places throughout the condo. Then I gave up and ordered a new one. A week or two later, I found the old one under our bed -- and we don't have the Roku in the bedroom. Turns out that my BF sleepwalked and apparently absconded with the original one and, for some reason, placed it under our bed.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 4
21 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Instagram.  I rarely engage there but wanted to see pretty stuff and get inspired.  Instead I came away feeling a bit depressed and even more demotivated. 

I used to feel the same way viewing FB, Insta, TikTok, whatever, until I figured out how phony most of that stuff is. Don't compare yourself and don't feel you aren't enough if you don't have what they have. You do you. I tend to think people who constantly tell you how great their life is are hiding quite a bit. Just my thoughts. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

BTW, I sympathize with your plight but this is not a problem unique to your generation.  In addition to the crappy job markets and conditions since 2008 people my age have lived through even more recessions, crappy job markets and bad stock market conditions before that, which has left a lot of people in their 50s and 60s with depleted or wiped out retirement accounts.  My husband is one of them. 

My 50s husband and I are two more of them.  We've never had extra money to invest in the stock market, so when retirement age comes we will be dependent on Social Security and working part time forever.

38 minutes ago, KittyMom4 said:

I used to feel the same way viewing FB, Insta, TikTok, whatever, until I figured out how phony most of that stuff is. Don't compare yourself and don't feel you aren't enough if you don't have what they have. You do you. I tend to think people who constantly tell you how great their life is are hiding quite a bit. Just my thoughts. 

Thank you for this!  I rarely spend any time on social media but it's an unusually slow time right now (I'm a self-employed artisan).  I thought seeing some creatives doing creative stuff would make me feel better.  Lesson learned, for sure!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2

@Kitty Redstone I do the same thing when I get bored but I'm trying to condition myself to not use social media as my go-to. It was worse during the holidays seeing everyone's beautiful decorations, wonderful family events and delicious meals. Meanwhile I can't decorate the way I want to because I downsized a couple years ago and don't have the room, I was dreading my family gathering because my brother is an asshole, and it's just me and my husband so I don't cook the big meals for everyone (again, can't host because my house is too small). I had some rough nights feeling sorry for myself. Vowing that 2023 will be less social media, more doing what I enjoy and not comparing. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 3

Oh I'm sorry you spent the holidays feeling that way, @KittyMom4. I sometimes fall into the same comparison trap.  One of the larger garden-themed YT channels I watch has such beautiful gardens and I love their content, but sometimes it almost hurts to watch.  Not their fault at all of course; they're living their dream, seem like nice people, and recognize how lucky they are.  But on tough days it's difficult not to wish for a little more. 

I'm going to take a page from you, and on the days when I'm not feeling good about things, to just stay away from social media and do something I love instead.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Why do the batteries in the smoke alarms, co2 alarm, etc always die in the middle of the night? The incessant beeping makes them impossible to ignore or sleep through. There should be a pause button for a certain amount of time so that you don't have to get out a ladder, climb up it, & change the batteries at 3:00 AM when the chances of you falling off the ladder because you're half asleep are the greatest.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 2
28 minutes ago, GaT said:

Why do the batteries in the smoke alarms, co2 alarm, etc always die in the middle of the night? The incessant beeping makes them impossible to ignore or sleep through. There should be a pause button for a certain amount of time so that you don't have to get out a ladder, climb up it, & change the batteries at 3:00 AM when the chances of you falling off the ladder because you're half asleep are the greatest.

image.png.bdfc347a7da65d674c4c843d18ebede0.png

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 8
4 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

My 50s husband and I are two more of them.  We've never had extra money to invest in the stock market, so when retirement age comes we will be dependent on Social Security and working part time forever.

My sister's pet peeve - often loudly expressed - is the way so many of the younger generation feel that baby boomers had it all and continue to have it all as they march towards a golden retirement.  She has gotten into many a FB argument with friends of her children (all in their 20s and 30s) who blame the boomers for all society's ills and insist that all boomers are rich.  Demonstrably not true of course but FB arguments aren't going to sway anyone's opinions!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
32 minutes ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

My sister's pet peeve - often loudly expressed - is the way so many of the younger generation feel that baby boomers had it all and continue to have it all as they march towards a golden retirement.  She has gotten into many a FB argument with friends of her children (all in their 20s and 30s) who blame the boomers for all society's ills and insist that all boomers are rich.  Demonstrably not true of course but FB arguments aren't going to sway anyone's opinions!

I'm a later boomer who, as a child thought I'd just get married and take care of a house. I had a rude awakening when I was about 12 and realized that I was going to have to work. That one income wasn't going to cut it mymore.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

Xennial here.  Blamed boomers for not teaching us to be “proper” (though my mom DID get me a copy of “Tiffany’s Table Manners for Teenagers”) which is why we became such slobs.  And why our kids are even worse!

4 hours ago, GaT said:

Oh, yeah. Before my husband retired, I'd be alone for weeks. One night, around 2:00, one of the damn smoke detectors started beeping. I went downstairs, out to the garage, lifted a ladder that was against a wall, carefully edged my way around one of the cars, back up two stairs into the house and thank God the detector was in the first floor guestroom. I pulled the battery out and went straight back to bed. I'm trying to remember if I ever had to haul that ladder up to the second floor. Probably. Why can't we use a pole to stop the noise until the battery can be changed? 🤬

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
20 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

The sound of texting, especially fast texting. Does it bother anyone else? I put my own phone on silent if I'm going to text a lot. 

Like alerts?  I thought everyone silenced their keyboards.  My phone is permanently on silent mode, so I don’t get alerts (other than vibrates).  

• Like 4
5 hours ago, GaT said:

There should be a pause button for a certain amount of time so that you don't have to get out a ladder, climb up it, & change the batteries at 3:00 AM

Better yet, they should make a remote that lets you turn it off without having to put hands on the damn thing at all.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

The sound of texting, especially fast texting. Does it bother anyone else? I put my own phone on silent if I'm going to text a lot.

I keep my phone on silent 24/7. I hate the tapping, hate the ring tones, I just keep mine on vibrate. My daughter used to use the setting where her phone would flash when she got text or phone call, now that was obnoxious!!

• Like 4

Despite living near a major city we have very limited local news coverage on the week-end on TV,  so if you want to hear updates on local stuff or a weather forecast geared to our area, well, you won't.    First world problem of course but it's annoying.

• Like 3