Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

We never used to have rabbits. In the last few years, we've been inundated with them. The little bastards eat EVERYTHING! We hates the rabbitses, Precious.

What was hisssss name...Gandolf? The one who lived on an island on a pond inside a mountain cave who Bilbo Baggins met one day? Every response from it was "my precious this, my precious that" 👀

12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

What was hisssss name...Gandolf? The one who lived on an island on a pond inside a mountain cave who Bilbo Baggins met one day? Every response from it was "my precious this, my precious that" 👀

His name was Smeagol. People called him Gollum because he made that noise in his throat all the time. He had the One Ring and he called it his Precious.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We never used to have rabbits. In the last few years, we've been inundated with them. The little bastards eat EVERYTHING! We hates the rabbitses, Precious.

My mom made the best rabbit stew!

Precious lolz gollum 4 Eva 

• Like 1

The late Mr. HissyFit believed that a neighbor was stealing our tomatoes, just as they got ripe. "It can't be squirrels or birds," he said. "The tomatoes are too heavy for them to carry away." Then one morning he pulled me around the corner of the house to see a squirrel, walking on its hind legs, rolling a big tomato down the driveway!  It saw us and ran, so we never knew where it was taking the tomato. Maybe it had a getaway driver waiting at the curb.

• Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 17
2 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

The late Mr. HissyFit believed that a neighbor was stealing our tomatoes, just as they got ripe. "It can't be squirrels or birds," he said. "The tomatoes are too heavy for them to carry away." Then one morning he pulled me around the corner of the house to see a squirrel, walking on its hind legs, rolling a big tomato down the driveway!  It saw us and ran, so we never knew where it was taking the tomato. Maybe it had a getaway driver waiting at the curb.

He was taking it to Mama Squirrel's Famous Pizzeria!

image.png.44fe2a595a16c6f4be5fdcd1a8f7182f.png

Edited by peacheslatour
  • LOL 15
40 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Squirrels take oranges from my tree all the time.  I don't mind; I have enough to spare.  

I never minded them getting into my bird feeders either. But then the rats came and we had to stop feeding the birds altogether. 😭

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

But then the rats came

I do have rats come and feast on the orange tree overnight, but they mostly hollow out the oranges at the top of the tree I'd have to put in much effort to pick, so it seems we have struck a deal.  So long as potential entry points are sealed up so no invader other than the occasional insect can get into my house, I don't much care who's doing what out in the yard at night. 

Thankfully, I've never had a snake -- I am irrationally afraid of them, even if harmless.  I'm also scared of bees, but they're vital, so I even plant things to attract/feed them, just away from where I'll be.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

First World Problem(s):

I discovered someone had hit my right front bumper and the shiny chrome area of my headlight a couple of weeks ago. the chrome area looks like when you're spreading icing on a cake in swirly motions.

So I have NO IDEA really when this happened. And I would have KNOWN if I'D done it myself, because I imagine, I'd hear the "screeching" noise of damaging the chrome area.

Anyhoo, I filed a claim, and my insurance sent me to a different autobody than the one I went to when I had the accident last April during the height of the Delta variant.

I wish I had called to file the claim and asked to use the same body shop because they did an excellent job and they actually-you know-answered the bloody phone-when I called for updates. Actually, they sent me daily updates to let me know the status of the repairs.

But just like last time, the fucking claims adjuster never bothered to call me, so of course for this incident, after I completed the survey, which was "POOR" for everything, because, you know, SHE NEVER EMAILED OR CALLED ME, and I had to find out the status from the app, she called me on Friday.

THEN after adjuster called body shop, someone from there called me to tell me my car would be ready THIS FRIDAY. Then I get a text from the adjuster a few hours later, telling me it would be ready by THIS WEDNESDAY. I've been fucking trying to call them and keep getting voicemails for the dude that gave me his card, and the call disconnecting when I choose to speak to the main office. Ridiculous. IF I ever need work done again, I'm going to the one across the street, which was the one that did the work on my car last year.

I try to be fair. But you can bet your ASS this place will get the most scorched earth review once I get my car back.

But I must say, I was very surprised that Enterprise provided me with a BMW for my rental. Auto-transmission, but damned fully automated, to the point where all I have to do is press the button to start the car. It automatically turns on the headlights; automatically turns on the wipers when raining. Has this thingamajig that shows how close to the curb I'm front parking, so I can stop before it scratches the undercarriage when you park too close.

Kewl. But the car feels so damned HEAVY. Maybe because my Civic is so much lighter? I dunno.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You were provided a *BMW* while your Civic was being repaired? Wow!

Yes! I requested a compact car, and I got a "Beemer", which had me agog, I won't lie.

It's even got vents in the back seat, so when I run the AC, the folks sitting back there can't complain they're not getting the AC!

I've only used it once to drive to the farm to get me some peaches (which were DEEELICOUS-white and yellow), tomatoes (also DEELICIOUS) a couple weeks ago. Other than running to the post office or short errands less than 3 miles roundtrip, the car's been sitting in the parking lot. So it'll have like 75% of gas, because I had to fill up when we went to the farm. And they always give you a car with 1/4 tank or less full.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'd be telling the folks at the auto body shop to take their time.

15 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

And I'd be swanning around town in my Beemer, taking my friends for rides 😁.

Thanks for the laughs!

While it's kewl that I have a Beemer as a loaner, for the first time, I feel not as confident. I mean, I'm extra cautious when driving this one, because it's a BMW! Whereas in the past, whatever rental I had, just drove happily, not worried. 

One thing that is a con is the visor. The thing stops right above my head, so it's useless to block the sun. And yes, I've tried raising the seat, to no avail.

I'm going to see if its GPS works or if Enterprise disabled it. I found it by accident.

ETA: just got a response to the email I sent to the dude who I spoke with when I dropped my car off. Friday is when I can pick up my car. At least I had an email to inquire.

So I can go to the office on Wednesday and not postpone, for the the third time, lunch with a new hire who I've been asked to mentor.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I once was driving a Beemer lent to me by a friend. I usually drive a Subaru.  I was pulled over and given a moving violation while almost standing still at a bridge toll area. I was attempting to change lanes while stuck behind a person who wasn’t paying.  Alleged failure to signal. I did stick out my arm!   I know I would not have gotten the ticket in the Subaru. I don’t miss those toll booths. We now have ez passes with photographic tolls. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I once was driving a Beemer lent to me by a friend. I usually drive a Subaru.  I was pulled over and given a moving violation while almost standing still at a bridge toll area. I was attempting to change lanes while stuck behind a person who wasn’t paying.  Alleged failure to signal. I did stick out my arm!   I know I would not have gotten the ticket in the Subaru. I don’t miss those toll booths. We now have ez passes with photographic tolls. 

I usually drive a Subaru as well. Never once have gotten a ticket in that car, regardless of some of my riskier antics. But one time I was driving a rented black Chrysler 300--with out-of-state plates--that made me feel like Carmela Soprano. I was last in a line of about ten cars, so I clearly wasn't going faster than any of them, but I got pulled over for speeding. I could see the trooper's face when he looked at my license and realized I lived only about a mile up the road. Here he was all primed to stick it to someone from Connecticut. But he was committed to it, so tough luck to me. The downside of driving a car that riles up law enforcement.

• Fire 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I know I would not have gotten the ticket in the Subaru.

Our household has one BMW and one Subaru station wagon.  For a few years, the front license plate on the Subaru kept falling off and I was pulled over TWICE on rural highways for not having a front plate.  While I see sports cars driving all over the place without front license plates, and you know they take it off on purpose.  

• Useful 1
32 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Here he was all primed to stick it to someone from Connecticut. But he was committed to it, so tough luck to me

The tags on the rental BMW I'm using also has Connecticut plates! What? Do all the luxury rentals come from there?😆

• Wink 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The tags on the rental BMW I'm using also has Connecticut plates! What? Do all the luxury rentals come from there?😆

All I can say is stay well under the speed limit and make sure your taillights are working. They obviously have it in for Connecticut.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

All I can say is stay well under the speed limit and make sure your taillights are working. They obviously have it in for Connecticut.

Oh, I do. Like I said, don't know why I'm so overly cautious with this rental. Probably because it's a BMW! So silly.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

When I was growing up in NYS, we always heard about the CT state troopers nailing folks for speeding. And then, there's just something about CT. I could always tell when we crossed the state line. The houses were all colonial style & at Xmastime, they all had blue lights on their outdoor shrubs and trees. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Our household has one BMW and one Subaru station wagon.  For a few years, the front license plate on the Subaru kept falling off and I was pulled over TWICE on rural highways for not having a front plate.  While I see sports cars driving all over the place without front license plates, and you know they take it off on purpose.  

I have a Toyota 86 (yeah I know, you never heard of it) & I don't have my front plates on the car.

• Useful 1
On 8/10/2022 at 2:15 PM, Mondrianyone said:

We've had them wander up to the house a few times. The biggest challenge was keeping the dogs quiet. They hate dogs. The back of our house is all windows, and the prospect of an enraged moose crashing into our living room is beyond terrifying.

But the first one we shoot, you're invited over for grilled Bullwinkleburgers. I have to tell you not to hold your breath for that, though. Moose are much too cute to shoot.

Is this your house?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChI_fjrp-Ew/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, GaT said:

I have a Toyota 86 (yeah I know, you never heard of it)

Au contraire!  Mr. Outlier test drove one, and gunned it when exiting the dealership and got pulled over by a cop within two blocks.  He wasn't even speeding--it just made a lot of noise. 

4 hours ago, GaT said:

& I don't have my front plates on the car.

Figures. 

I'm currently less than enchanted with BMW because a tow truck guy who was supposed to be using his tool thing to get us into the car when we managed to lock TWO sets of keys in it shattered the driver's side window.  It took a couple of weeks to track down a dealership that could order a window from Germany, but it turned out even though BMW's dealership system let them order it, they couldn't actually get it, and nobody can get it because BMW doesn't make that window any more.

We can't even tape plastic on there because it's a frameless window.  Or, we could but then we wouldn't be able to open the door and would have to climb into the driver's seat from the passenger side, and I did that once a few years ago when the driver's door just wouldn't open when I finished pumping gas, and maneuvering across the passenger seat, over the console, and into the driver's seat is nothing I want to repeat.

Plus it's our only car--we live in an RV traveling and tow the BMW and leave the Subaru with a friend because I can't bear to part with it.  I've come to realize that not having a driver's side window on your only car is just a wee bit inconvenient.

Side rant--WTF with the BMW letting the dealership order a window they can't actually get?  And fuck Ebay, with its helpful automated car part matching system, which on its own inserts into listings that the Z3 window you're looking at will fit your M-Coupe WHEN IT WILL NOT.  It's a great idea IF the data underlying it is correct.  But as is so often the case, the underlying data isn't correct and you have no way of knowing that if you haven't spent hours researching these damn windows

@StatisticalOutlier I have something near me called a Pick and Pull. They have many (and I do mean many) vehicles that have been totaled or abandoned for some reason. You pay a lot less for a part that ordering new or used. I think they might have something online that tells you which cars they have available for part picking. You may want to try and locate a place like this. If just the window won’t work then you might be able to find a replacement door. It might need to be painted to match your car’s color, but it’s better than no window or an unusable door. 

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It might need to be painted to match your car’s color, but it’s better than no window or an unusable door. 

The door is fine--there was just that one time that for some reason it wouldn't open.  The reason it wouldn't work now would be because if we just covered the hole with plastic, it would have to be taped to the roof and body of the car because of the frameless window.  With a "regular" window, you could just tape plastic in there around all four sides on the door and the door would work like regular.

We already checked junkyards.  They appear to have some sort of network that tells you what's available nationwide.  That's actually our only option at this point, but the problem with that is many of these cars are garage queens and don't get driven much and therefore don't get wrecked much.   It doesn't sound there's a waiting list for parts, so I guess we'll have to just keep checking periodically, hoping somebody totals his beloved car.

Mr. Outlier found a place in England that makes polycarbonate windows for race cars, and it sounds like they can make one for this car.  It won't be a good permanent solution because the plastic will get scratched as the window goes up and down (unlike glass), but at least it will keep the rain and snow and thieves out. 

In the meantime, he's going to try to fashion a covering for the hole out of a piece of hardware-store plastic, although the actual window has a bend to it that he obviously can't duplicate (which is why the replacement has to be a driver's side window and can't be a passenger side window).  And it will be attached on only two sides if we want to be able to open the door.  Should be interesting.

All of which has made me wonder what the value of the car is now.  I certainly wouldn't pay "normal" price for a car that doesn't have a driver's side window and the only way you can get one is if somebody totals his car and somehow doesn't break the driver's side window and you find out about it and snap it up before somebody else does.

I mean, what are we supposed to do?  Total the car?  That sounds crazy, but it's not particularly usable the way it is now.

• Sad 3
8 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

All of which has made me wonder what the value of the car is now.

Th logical me would think that it is worth the value of the car whole, minus parts and labor for the window, to a dealer.  If a BMW dealer goes on their computer to check the part availability, it should show available like it did for you, right? <wink, wink>  

I actually feel like, considering that used cars are selling exponentially higher than they were a couple years ago, you would probably make out okay in a trade.  Selling outright to an individual could be trickier, but maybe not.  Take it to a couple dealers for an appraisal and put it on a couple of those internet car dealer websites, maybe Craig's list too, and see what happens. If you're up front about the window, shouldn't be any problm. You aren't obligated to sell it, no matter what. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1

Turns out my car is ready today after all! Honestly, I'm glad, because the rental, I don't know if I mentioned up thread, was giving me "error" messages about how I hadn't turned off the engine, which, like, what? Of course I did, and about how the battery was "dead" which of course, it isn't. Then yesterday, I get a notification that the front left tire is low on pressure; so I went to the gas station and put in air to the amount it should be; but still that notification was there.

So in light of all that, yes, I'm glad I'll be getting my own car back today. But I will miss all the "auto" functions!😂😛 I swear, whenever I was at a stop light, I could feel the car "shifting" gears, as if I pulled the clutch and set in first, as the light turned green. But, alas, I never learned to drive stick (which I forever am lamenting), and all my cars have been automatic transmissions. But I remember pretending my first car was stick, and imagining, putting my foot on the clutch, shifting gears, and then actually hitting the gas, because you know, automatic, and the light was green. Hey, I was in my wee 20s!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Got my car back, and it feels just like when I first bought it! So silly, I know. But it feels wonderful to be back in my own car.

I had emailed Enterprise about the latest notifications, and even told the dude that picked up the car. I will miss the view of the BMW that told me I was getting to close to the curb when parking that would risk scratching the undercarriage, but it will make me more mindful when I'm parking. After all, what did we HOOMANS DO before all these "smart" cars? As much as I love technology, I think there's too much reliance on it. Just dumbs us down.

Despite my issues with getting through to the auto body shop, I learned the manager/receptionist also goes to the same farm I do to get our strawberries, peaches, tomatoes, etc.! How about that? And I must admit they did a fantastic job with the repair, and I have a lifetime guarantee to fix any future scratches repainted or whatever, for free. So...YAY?

But I'm still PEEVED that not a since detailing service in my area, has bothered to respond to my online inquiries or return my calls. One said to inquire at their website, which I DID, but still no response.

I guess I'll try when the summer season is over?

• Love 3

the rental, I don't know if I mentioned up thread, was giving me "error" messages about how I hadn't turned off the engine, which, like, what? Of course I did, and about how the battery was "dead" which of course, it isn't. Then yesterday, I get a notification that the front left tire is low on pressure; so I went to the gas station and put in air to the amount it should be; but still that notification was there.

BMW:  The Ultimate Driving Machine.

I swear, whenever I was at a stop light, I could feel the car "shifting" gears, as if I pulled the clutch and set in first, as the light turned green.

Some modern cars (including BMWs) have a thing where the engine turns off if you're sitting still for a certain amount of time.  Maybe that's what you were feeling.

But, alas, I never learned to drive stick (which I forever am lamenting),

I learned to drive in an army jeep with a manual transmission, and am forever grateful.  Thanks, Dad, even if it was embarrassing because you'd painted it orange to match the high school's colors.  I still remember the first time I got behind the wheel of a car with an automatic transmission in Driver's Ed, and I didn't know how to make it go.

That said, I much prefer driving my automatic Subaru to the manual BMW.  The Subaru is so slow that it's super easy to drive--just floor it whenever you take off from a stop and you'll be going an appropriate speed.

• Love 4

I learned to drive stick when I learned to drive, but what I drove was an automatic -- I just was also taught how to drive a stick in case I was ever in a situation where I needed to.  Of course, I have only needed to (and needed to as in things like my friend left her car at my place and I had to move it, not needed to as in I was being chased by a serial killer and there was a conveniently placed stick shift car with keys in it when I came out of the woods) a couple of times in the decades since, so whenever I do drive one, I manage to stall it (never grind the gears, though) -- like any skill, it's one that atrophies from lack of use.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Then yesterday, I get a notification that the front left tire is low on pressure; so I went to the gas station and put in air to the amount it should be; but still that notification was there

Probably a faulty sensor; I have one of those right now.  Which brings me to my peeve: I have so many little things that are of no urgency yet need to be taken care of, and I don't have the mental energy to do anything more than life's necessities right now, so that list just keeps growing. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

My dear Father taught me how to drive in the streets when you didn’t need a permit.  He had a Plymouth and not automatic, but shifts first, second and third with the clutch.  Took me around the blocks after he got home from work.  I passed my road test first time on the standard shift at 18.  That were the times when you rolled down the street backwards on hills, lol.  I taught all my kids how to drive as husband has no patience.  (I don’t think I needed a permit .. not sure in those days when I was learning.). I don’t enjoy driving anymore.  Too many maniacs on the road going nowhere, but very fast.  Makes me nervous.  I sort of just stay on the right.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

not needed to as in I was being chased by a serial killer and there was a conveniently placed stick shift car with keys in it when I came out of the woods

I've seen that movie. You wouldn't get in the car.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I hope they run it again this year.

They've done it every Halloween so far since it first came out eight years ago, so our chances are good -- they could run it every October for the rest of my life and I'd still laugh at it each time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

Which brings me to my peeve: I have so many little things that are of no urgency yet need to be taken care of, and I don't have the mental energy to do anything more than life's necessities right now, so that list just keeps growing. 

Oh man, that is so me right now! All these little things have piled up and I have no energy to do them right now. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

They've done it every Halloween so far since it first came out eight years ago, so our chances are good -- they could run it every October for the rest of my life and I'd still laugh at it each time.

8 years??? Time is funny. 2020 lasted a fucking decade but 1995 was just a few years ago. Anyone who tells me otherwise is a lying liar who lies. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Time is funny. 2020 lasted a fucking decade but 1995 was just a few years ago.

It's crazy; in general time feels like it flies faster and faster with each passing year - something we didn't believe back in the day when our parents said it, but then we started living it - and then there's this bizarre bump in the time warp speed with the pandemic that even more fucks with our concept of time.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On the pet peeve of lateness, different personality types do not perceive time in the same way.  I'm one of those people who hates being on a schedule, but even when trying very hard to be on time will still end up being late.  I've gotten better over the years but time definitely moves slower for me than it does for my type a husband.  It doesn't excuse completely blowing people off, of course.

Anyway, my pet peeve is art museum docents, who are the amongst the largest group of fucking karens on the planet.  Luckily I wasn't the target of this particular crone today, but a cute young couple who couldn't help but step over the tape lines in order to get from point a to point b drew her ire.  She made them feel foolish and it was mean and unnecessary.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1

LOL the being late thing reminds me of my ex-sister in law. She could never be on time to anything. It got to the point that we would tell her the event started an hour earlier. Even then sh would be a little late, but not much. Deceptive, but it kept everyone else  and the food on schedule. Otherwise we would be waiting 2+ hours for her. 

I don't understand that mentality, I am one that will be early to any appointment or engagement or I would feel rude for being late and inconveniencing someone. 

• Love 6