Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Just now, Bastet said:

This is that jerk ex-boyfriend, right, not some random neighbor?!  I mean, that's totally inappropriate of him to do without asking, but it would just be utterly wild if someone with whom you have no relationship other than being neighbors trespassed and stole vegetable blooms.

Yes, it’s him. I think he does crap like this to get a reaction from me, as well as have them to eat. 

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Peeve: I planted 11 zucchini plants. This morning I was chuffed today to see I had 6 blooms. 
No more. My neighbor came over and picked them all for his dinner tonight 🤬

A few weeks ago, my husband passed along this quote to me, and I've stickied it onto my desktop:

I have never faced a problem that could not be solved with an appropriate amount of explosives.
--Chuck “Boom Boom” Vessels

I think you should purchase an appropriate amount of explosives.

• LOL 7
41 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

A few weeks ago, my husband passed along this quote to me, and I've stickied it onto my desktop:

I have never faced a problem that could not be solved with an appropriate amount of explosives.
--Chuck “Boom Boom” Vessels

I think you should purchase an appropriate amount of explosives.

Reminds me of the sign my DH had at his auto shop:

There is no problem so difficult that is cannot be solved through brute strength and ignorance.

• LOL 6

@TattleTeeny Oddly, I also had occasion to think of you yesterday. I went down to Wilmington, rode on over to Wrightsville beach for a short happy drive (took Arlie road to see all the beautiful tucked in horse areas and old houses, had to wait for the drawbridge to open and close so watched some boats also), then head back over the bridge to do some consignment browsing (I can't find any straw spring purses in the stores) and at one there was a whole rack of "From the George and Tammy set". There were about forty dresses, pants, tops, jackets, etc. etc. etc. I wondered if you liked made to be vintage since you dislike being deceived by retro. The clothes were so beautiful.

• Love 3

Aww, thanks for thinking of me -- and remembering one of my many peeves! That sounds like a pretty cool store and area.

I am usually OK when I know it's something made to look like something older -- that's fine. It's the sellers on Etsy who try to trick people (or maybe they just don't know?). Either way, come on now, people! I actually haven't done much online vintage shopping for clothes for a while. For one thing, I work from home now and just don't need more clothing (or, to be honest, even as much as I have now). But mostly, with the last couple of years being what they've been, I value the in-person browsing and hunting all the more.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Sunscreen making you sticky. I want to protect my skin but not get random stuff sticking to my arms and legs. 

Coppertone Sport in a can. Or in the tube. It completely absorbs. Unseen sunscreen for the face. Problem solved.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

The guy I talked about on the last page, the one who noticed me at my friend’s wedding, but didn’t talk to me and just talked to her to add me…went to another girl both me and Friend know to say he likes me. He just will not quit. How is a rejected friend request not enough? 

I guess my pet peeve is creepy guys? Haha. I’m sorry. I’m not going to buy the “but he might be shy” reasoning. I’m in my mid 30s. If a guy sees me and likes me, he can approach me and have a conversation. I’m not going to go out of my way for someone who has no social skills and begs friends of mine to get a chance with me.

If he’s really that shy he needs to work on it if he wants a girlfriend. I really don’t have the energy to deal with a guy who can tell everyone else he likes me but refuses to communicate. What is this, junior high? 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

The guy I talked about on the last page, the one who noticed me at my friend’s wedding, but didn’t talk to me and just talked to her to add me…went to another girl both me and Friend know to say he likes me. He just will not quit. How is a rejected friend request not enough? 

I guess my pet peeve is creepy guys? Haha. I’m sorry. I’m not going to buy the “but he might be shy” reasoning. I’m in my mid 30s. If a guy sees me and likes me, he can approach me and have a conversation. I’m not going to go out of my way for someone who has no social skills and begs friends of mine to get a chance with me.

If he’s really that shy he needs to work on it if he wants a girlfriend. I really don’t have the energy to deal with a guy who can tell everyone else he likes me but refuses to communicate. What is this, junior high? 

Really. What is this, middle school?

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

803e9234aabc661b3574e360e381370a.jpg

• LOL 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

803e9234aabc661b3574e360e381370a.jpg

Haha this may as well be it! 

I think at the end of the day my real pet peeve is that just because I am a single woman, some friends and family have planted it in their head that a guy deserves “a chance” from me just because they’re single too, or might be too afraid to talk to me, or I should deal with the fact that they’re not the same religion as me. Even though it was OK that my friend who just got married held out for a Christian guy and everyone commends her. So why is it not OK for me to want to marry someone who’s Catholic or at least open to the faith? Why should I just date any guy who looks at me? Because they “deserve” it? Don’t I deserve to have boundaries and some dignity? It’s not like I refused to date this guy because he’s perfectly normal and nice but has green eyes instead of blue or something. Nope. I just have to date them because they are single and “deserve” my time, and I’m wrong because I don’t want to “get to know him.” 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

on’t I deserve to have boundaries and some dignity? It’s not like I refused to date this guy because he’s perfectly normal and nice but has green eyes instead of blue or something

But if that's what you're attracted to, you have a right to reject a guy for that.  I hate the idea that guys deserve a chance just because they're a "nice guy" or have been nice to you.  Women have the right to not be attracted to someone and guys just have to deal with that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, partofme said:

But if that's what you're attracted to, you have a right to reject a guy for that.  I hate the idea that guys deserve a chance just because they're a "nice guy" or have been nice to you.  Women have the right to not be attracted to someone and guys just have to deal with that.

Absolutely. No man is entitled to your time and attention just because that's what he wants.

• Love 9
(edited)

"I'm not interested" in getting to know this guy is all anyone needs to know; why you're not interested is immaterial.

It's the "No is a complete sentence" principle -- women, in particular, are constantly expected to give reasons when they don't want to do something, so someone can judge whether that reason is good enough.  But there are tons of scenarios in which no one (including the person asking us to do something) needs to know anything beyond "No, thank you".

This is definitely one of those.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 18
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

"I'm not interested" is all anyone needs to know; why you're not interested is immaterial.

It's the "No is a complete sentence" principle -- women, in particular, are constantly expected to give reasons when they don't want to do something, so someone can judge whether that reason is good enough.  But there are tons of scenarios in which no one (including the person asking us to do something) needs to know anything beyond "No, thank you".

image.png.44fc5c1ae9c368d819a035609033be6d.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

"I'm not interested" is all anyone needs to know; why you're not interested is immaterial.

I'm sort of going through this right now, sucks.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2

Super petty peeve - I don't like it when "they" make a TV show that is based on series from my childhood that are absolutely NOT like the series from my childhood.  Riverdale, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift - to name three recent ones.  The shows are probably awesome in their own right but anyone tuning in thinking "hey cool, loved those books as a kid" is probably going to be disappointed, they certainly are going to be surprised!

• Love 3
On 5/21/2022 at 10:19 AM, SusanM said:

Super petty peeve - I don't like it when "they" make a TV show that is based on series from my childhood that are absolutely NOT like the series from my childhood.  Riverdale, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift - to name three recent ones.  The shows are probably awesome in their own right but anyone tuning in thinking "hey cool, loved those books as a kid" is probably going to be disappointed, they certainly are going to be surprised!

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!  I really hope they don't remake My So-Called Life.  Especially if the new version actually succeeds.  Because my cohort (Xennials, those of us born between 1977-1983 or so) have been screwed over too many times (I think This is Us is the only series that REALLY focused on said cohort). 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Lack of healthy food when you go to shows of various kinds (movies, comedy clubs, etc). It’s especially tricky when you eat plant-based. 

Smuggle a bag of nuts in?  Or some seaweed?

• Love 2

When crossowords use the word "asea". Yes, it's a word. It's also hella archaic - except in crosswords. It feels like such a cop out. Sure, sure, 3 vowels, handy, fine. I don't know why but when I'm doing a crossword and that's one of the answers I sort of want to fliptable.

• LOL 1
53 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

When crossowords use the word "asea". Yes, it's a word. It's also hella archaic - except in crosswords. It feels like such a cop out. Sure, sure, 3 vowels, handy, fine. I don't know why but when I'm doing a crossword and that's one of the answers I sort of want to fliptable.

Yea I did crosswords for awhile and there are certain words that you only see IN crosswords. Or 90 percent of the references are in crosswords. 

Oleo

Eire for Ireland. 

Eyrie

• Love 2

Another crossword peeve is when the same publication has the same clue/answer two days in a row in two different puzzles. Like, yeah I know, with some of these "disproportionately represented in crosswords" words they're going to be in more than one puzzle, but two days in a row? Curate, people, curate.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I feel like they add an a often -- and create answers that do not even seem like real "official" words. To be fair, I have not checked to see if they are, but I feel suspicious of this tactic!

Yea I did crosswords for awhile and there are certain words that you only see IN crosswords. Or 90 percent of the references are in crosswords. 

Oleo

Eire for Ireland. 

Eyrie

And I know that they're real words, but enough with epee and ewer already!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel like they add an a often -- and create answers that do not even seem like real "official" words. To be fair, I have not checked to see if they are, but I feel suspicious of this tactic!

OMG! Yes!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yes, epee is another one!  All the time. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I think the NYT has finally abandoned etui. That was a famous archaic word only seen in the NYT crossword. Means needle case. 

It was a Jeopardy! clue last week, in the category containers, but the clue did indeed reference crossword puzzles:  The word etui is an old favorite in crossword puzzles, where its standard clue is a case for these sewing necessities.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Aren't these popular because they have a lot of vowels and can be used as connectors?  Besides, if they are so commonly used, doesn't that make it easier to guess them?

I thought we had all moved on to Wordle.  Peeve:  these words are too short for Wordle.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Aren't these popular because they have a lot of vowels and can be used as connectors?  Besides, if they are so commonly used, doesn't that make it easier to guess them?

I thought we had all moved on to Wordle.  Peeve:  these words are too short for Wordle.

Those words are also popular because they are four-letter words, so they are helpful connectors in crosswords, apparently. 

As far as I know, Wordle fiends have not given up their other addictions, such as Spelling Bee and the regular crossword. They have had to add it to their daily routine. I personally am not a Wordle fan. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Another word used in crossword puzzles is/was "gar". It's a fish with a long, toothy snout that I'd never heard of until I started doing crosswords.

Back to the note that the shy guy could write...George Strait has a cute song about a little girl giving a note to a little boy in grade school.  🎶"Do you love me, do you want to be my friend? Check yes or no"🎶 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Another word used in crossword puzzles is/was "gar". It's a fish with a long, toothy snout that I'd never heard of until I started doing crosswords.

Wait, that was in a crossword puzzle?? I've never seen or heard the word "gar" outside of the south; we call them alligator gars in East Texas. They are ugly as hell. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Wait, that was in a crossword puzzle?? I've never seen or heard the word "gar" outside of the south; we call them alligator gars in East Texas. They are ugly as hell. 

It was also the correct response to a Jeopardy! clue earlier this year (in the category three-letter animals: Native to the southern U.S., the "alligator" this can grow 10' long, making it one of the largest freshwater fish).  None of the contestants got it, and either all or almost all the forum posters who got it knew it from crossword puzzles.

Doing crossword puzzles can come in handy with J! clues.  I don't, but I know some obscure words from playing Scrabble -- ones with high-value letters, though, so "gar" stumped me just as it did the contestants.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

It was also the correct response to a Jeopardy! clue earlier this year (in the category three-letter animals: Native to the southern U.S., the "alligator" this can grow 10' long, making it one of the largest freshwater fish).  None of the contestants got it, and either all or almost all the forum posters who got it knew it from crossword puzzles.

Doing crossword puzzles can come in handy with J! clues.  I don't, but I know some obscure words from playing Scrabble -- ones with high-value letters, though, so "gar" stumped me just as it did the contestants.

Bastet, thanks for keeping us up to speed on Jeopardy!  I quit watching after Alex died.  I like Ken and Mayim, and I may try again if they really get their sea legs.  At first I thought Mayim was very slow on the clue reading.  I totally know gar from crosswords, but I can't guarantee I would have gotten it right on J!.  That requires other skills.  My brush with greatness is that one of my sister editors from my old Ladies' Home Journal days appeared on the show.  She's a teacher now.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I do the NYT crossword in ink every day. I think I'm pretty good at them so I assumed I'd be good at Scrabble. I assumed wrong.

• LOL 5
12 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I do the NYT crossword in ink every day. I think I'm pretty good at them so I assumed I'd be good at Scrabble. I assumed wrong.

Same, although I don't bother to do the puzzle every day, as I don't have time.  I stink at Scrabble.  It's all about strategy.  I stink at strategy.  I can't play chess or cards either.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Same, although I don't bother to do the puzzle every day, as I don't have time.  I stink at Scrabble.  It's all about strategy.  I stink at strategy.  I can't play chess or cards either.  

Same. I like words but I don't care much about strategy. I'm shit at Clue but I used to be really good at backgammon. Is that a strategy game?

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Same. I like words but I don't care much about strategy. I'm shit at Clue but I used to be really good at backgammon. Is that a strategy game?

Yes, backgammon has strategy, and my husband used to beat me at it all the time.  Same as he did with Scrabble, and he is good at chess and cards.  

I think backgammon has more limited strategy, such as knowing what to do with certain rolls.  It's like blackjack, where the minimum strategy is to memorize what to do with certain hands.  I've never played Clue, but I understand it's like a process of elimination or logic game.  I think bridge is supposed to be like that, and I could never play bridge.  I think both are like three dimensional sudoku games where you have to keep the plays in your mind.  I'm just bored by that concept.  

• Love 3

I had to learn logic games for the LSAT.  The prep class taught us how to do them with quick pencil diagrams.  That was actually fun, but you had to build up a lot of speed with practice sessions.  If you got the diagram, and could speed through, you could guarantee getting the right answer.  

These are the games like Mr. Brown is wearing a green hat.  He is sitting across from the lady who has two husbands.  Who has Covid?  

• LOL 9
9 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, backgammon has strategy, and my husband used to beat me at it all the time.  Same as he did with Scrabble, and he is good at chess and cards.  

I think backgammon has more limited strategy, such as knowing what to do with certain rolls.  It's like blackjack, where the minimum strategy is to memorize what to do with certain hands.  I've never played Clue, but I understand it's like a process of elimination or logic game.  I think bridge is supposed to be like that, and I could never play bridge.  I think both are like three dimensional sudoku games where you have to keep the plays in your mind.  I'm just bored by that concept.  

Yeah, I get bored with that kind of stuff. My family banned me from playing Trivial Pursuit with them because I'm too much of a trivia and news junkie.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I get bored with that kind of stuff. My family banned me from playing Trivial Pursuit with them because I'm too much of a trivia and news junkie.

Ah, now you're talking my language! 

• Love 3

OK, now for some reason the text is centered on the page. I don't know how that happened or how to fix it. Annoying.

The other thing that recently happened is the side bar ads and mid page ads have all disappeared. Not peeved about that at all!! :)

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

OK, now for some reason the text is centered on the page. I don't know how that happened or how to fix it. Annoying.

The other thing that recently happened is the side bar ads and mid page ads have all disappeared. Not peeved about that at all!! :)

Yes, just got this centered text thing too.  I guess the mods must be aware now and will fix it.  MODS????

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Love 3