Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

1.  Not leaving my room

2.  Not leaving my house

3.  Missing a friend's birthday party.

My childhood punishments are now my adult hobbies.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Quof said:

1.  Not leaving my room

2.  Not leaving my house

3.  Missing a friend's birthday party.

My childhood punishments are now my adult hobbies.

And remember how much you hated taking naps as a kid?  I freaking love naps now.  

• Love 5

So....Friday night we got takeout from a (sushi) restaurant we've patronized for years and paid with a credit card. Within 24 hours of that transaction, $250 of fraudulent activity was on the card - maybe we got off cheap, considering other stories I've heard.  The evidence is circumstantial, but it certainly looks like someone at the sushi place skimmed our card. The only other recent activity was at my eye doctor earlier in the week.  Everything's okay, all the fraudulent charges will be written off, but I'm disappointed in the restaurant, and the hub is really pissed.

Any thoughts?  Is it worth speaking with the restaurant manager? What if he's the skimmer? I'm kind of willing to let it go and consider it a lesson/fact of life, but wonder if I'm being too passive about the whole thing. 

Naps?  Big fan here!

• Love 2

I like nothing better than, behind the mother's back, motioning at kids to shush.  I did it from TWO FLOORS UP at the Newseum in Washington, DC.  Screaming kid echoing throughout the place, and me on the landing way up above.  I stared until I caught his eye, did the finger against my mouth (be quiet) and then pointed at him with a dirty look.  He shut up instantly. 

Something else I enjoy doing is corralling people who are talking on their cell phone in a store.  I pretend I'm looking at stuff and get in their space, and they move away, and then I move in again, maybe from a different direction, and they move away, completely unaware of what's going on.  It makes me feel less victimized by the yammering, and it cracks Mr. Outlier up to watch it.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, harrie said:

So....Friday night we got takeout from a (sushi) restaurant we've patronized for years and paid with a credit card. Within 24 hours of that transaction, $250 of fraudulent activity was on the card - maybe we got off cheap, considering other stories I've heard.  The evidence is circumstantial, but it certainly looks like someone at the sushi place skimmed our card. The only other recent activity was at my eye doctor earlier in the week.  Everything's okay, all the fraudulent charges will be written off, but I'm disappointed in the restaurant, and the hub is really pissed.

Any thoughts?  Is it worth speaking with the restaurant manager? What if he's the skimmer? I'm kind of willing to let it go and consider it a lesson/fact of life, but wonder if I'm being too passive about the whole thing. 

Naps?  Big fan here!

Is it somethng you can report to the police? Not so they will do something necessarily since it sounds like it's taken care of for you, but so there is a report on file in the event it happens to someone else.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, harrie said:

Everybody gets off cheap in these situations because nobody has to pay.  You say it's not yours, they take it off your bill, and it's over. 

I don't think you can be sure it was skimmed.  In fact, if it was skimmed, I would assume the skimmer would wait a bit before using it, to lessen any suspicions about where the skimming happened.    And surely the manager would be sharp enough to wait.

I got caught up in the Noodles & Company breach, and there was a lag of a couple of months between the breach and when someone used my card.  I used the card at Noodles on April 10, and got fraudulent activity on June 29.  I never would have even connected it with using it at Noodles if they hadn't announced the breach.

But it's hard to know whether to tell the restaurant.  On the one hand, it's very possible the number was compromised elsewhere.  On the other hand, if someone else told them the same thing happened, then your corroboration would be significant.  Maybe tell them that you have no reason to suspect them for any reason other than the timeline, and even that is kind of sketchy, but you wanted to let them know just in case someone else reports the same thing. 

23 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Total change of peeves - shrieking children. There is a new family in the neighborhood who seem lovely except for the unending shrieking from their young children. Not yelling, not crying, but top-of-lungs shrieking for no apparent reason for most of the afternoon. And I don't mean every once in a while but for minutes on end. Then there will be a short break before it starts up again.  I live across the street and three doors down and I've been subjected to it all afternoon. It's driving me bonkers. I get that they are kids and outside but it's really obnoxious. 

Are  you in MY neighborhood?   Because there is a certain  little-girl shriek that makes me jump out of my skin.   My first thought is that someone is being hurt.  It's the same noise that one would make if one was being dragged off by a stranger.  there's one little girl on the block who makes that noise a LOT.   Is someone hurting that child?   No, a look out the window shows that she is playing catch, and shrieks when she misses the ball.  or she's in her wading pool and her brother splashes her, or she's jumping, or sees a squirrel.    It's, I guess a sound of excitement, that sounds identical to a sound of fear or pain.  

IT's the reason we end up spending less time on our patio than we used to, and it's the reason my husband sometimes says he's glad we only had boys.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Quof said:

I may have (just may have) said "Lady, you're the only one who thinks that's cute, so knock it off."

And I might want to say "oh my god!  is your child all right?  is she hurt?  do you need me to call the paramedics?  No? she just DOES that?  wow."

• Love 5

Because there is a certain  little-girl shriek that makes me jump out of my skin.   My first thought is that someone is being hurt.  It's the same noise that one would make if one was being dragged off by a stranger.  there's one little girl on the block who makes that noise a LOT.   Is someone hurting that child?   No, a look out the window shows that she is playing catch, and shrieks when she misses the ball.  or she's in her wading pool and her brother splashes her, or she's jumping, or sees a squirrel.    It's, I guess a sound of excitement, that sounds identical to a sound of fear or pain. 

When I read this, I immediately thought of Flanders and his scream:

When I see kids that behave (or misbehave) like the ones described in posts above, I go home and hug my cats.  They can be pests sometimes, but other than the occasional loud meow when they are hungry or want some attention, they are pretty quiet and well-behaved (for cats, that is).  Can you tell I don't have kids?

• Love 5

auntlada and StatisticalOutlier, thank you for your insights.  Perhaps I will try bringing it up tactfully with the manager; I don't want to alienate anyone I don't have to, especially if they are totally innocent of any wrongdoing. And some nagging thought in the back of my head from the the identity theft incident of 19 years ago -which was a big deal involving tens of thousands of dollars - tells me at least making a police report is a good idea, even if just to cover my butt.  On the one hand, I'm relieved I don't have to be responsible for the fraudulent charges, but on the other hand, it pisses me off that it will just be written off and end with that - which means we all pay for it in the long run. 

• Love 1

I'm so with you in the screaming kid thing; the kid in the loft next to mine shrieks/screams randomly, and I can't tell you how many times I've been dying to bust through the wall Kool Aid man style just to tell him to STFU. I didn't mind so much when he was 3 or 4, but now that he's at least 6 years old I'm wondering if he's special needs, because he's wayyyyy too old to be randomly screeching like a damned toddler.

Like what in the hell is wrong with these parents who allow that shit anyway? Since when has it become perfectly normal to allow kids to just randomly shriek like they're being scalped?? 

Children with autism or other certain disabilities are known for random noises like those, but when I hear otherwise typical children of a certain age screaming constantly, I just hear an annoying little asshole whose parents need to teach him/her how to behave in a respectful, dignified manner.

• Love 4

At my friend's former apartment, the people above her made so damn much noise that one time when I was cat sitting, trying to watch a football game with the kitties (whenever she's gone more than a couple of days, I make sure at least one visit is more than the usual hour of attention) and it was particularly annoying, I went up and asked, "Are you running a bowling alley up here or something?  What is that racket?"  I don't remember what obnoxious activity he was engaged in that kind of banged on the floor, but the answer was, "Oh, our son likes to [whatever it was]."  Hooray for him.  There are things I like to do that I had to refrain from doing when I shared walls, because that's how common courtesy works.  You live on the second floor.  Be a parent, and a decent human being, and tell him to knock it off!

A few weeks after my friend came home, she emailed me to say, "I know how scary you can be, but I was still skeptical it would work, but I haven't heard the little elephant since I got home."

• Love 4

If your hand is sticky with god knows what don't open the door to the public restroom with that same fucking hand use your goddamn shoulder!

Ugh......

My hand still feels sticky (I think they opened it with a jelly doughnut and a jar of honey) and there was no reason for the Wawa manager & staff to apologize profusely when they saw me cleaning their bathroom door but I do appreciate it and the free coffee.

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 2

Until last night I was following my local community Facebook group. Then my posts about a dangerously negligent doctor were deleted and I was informed that when people ask for recommendations, only positive comments are permitted. So if someone recommends a plumber who you know is a serial killer, and if you post about it, your post will be deleted. 

• Love 3

Might the issue be whether the doctor has been proven to be dangerously negligent?   If you are simply asserting that he is, but that hasn't been proven, they you are crossing a line into possible defamation and any responsible website will remove it.    

There was a tanning salon in Chicago that had myriad reviews and comments about the owner being sketchy, pushy, creepy. Like two years later he ended up being busted for having hidden cameras in the booths and changing areas and raping a customer. I'm not saying all bad reviews or all online info is accurate, but in many cases it could end up saving a life. I know of a vet that does very dangerous and bad things and I know of a grooming salon that abuses animals (one dog lost its eye from being hit by employee, another was in an area w a loose aggressive dog due to greed and negligence & was he was ripped open, another dog was smacked so hard by employee it was knocked out and they claimed it had a seizure randomly...I witnessed these things). Anyhow I should tell people online to avoid those 2 places and know it's true but am scared cuz of that shit you mentioned which is wrong ...since evil prevails. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

There was a tanning salon in Chicago that had myriad reviews and comments about the owner being sketchy, pushy, creepy. Like two years later he ended up being busted for having hidden cameras in the booths and changing areas and raping a customer. I'm not saying all bad reviews or all online info is accurate, but in many cases it could end up saving a life. I know of a vet that does very dangerous and bad things and I know of a grooming salon that abuses animals (one dog lost its eye from being hit by employee, another was in an area w a loose aggressive dog due to greed and negligence & was he was ripped open, another dog was smacked so hard by employee it was knocked out and they claimed it had a seizure randomly...I witnessed these things). Anyhow I should tell people online to avoid those 2 places and know it's true but am scared cuz of that shit you mentioned which is wrong ...since evil prevails. 

I seriously would not hesitate to use whatever meager powers I have in my 5'4" body to violently annihilate every last person in these pet-grooming scenarios. Like, scorch-the-earth, no-turning-back, top-to-bottom destruction. 

Also, I will now never even begin to consider taking my two long-haired cats to be groomed at any place that doesn't let me stay by their sides. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
On 8/8/2016 at 6:03 PM, harrie said:

And some nagging thought in the back of my head from the the identity theft incident of 19 years ago -which was a big deal involving tens of thousands of dollars - tells me at least making a police report is a good idea, even if just to cover my butt.  On the one hand, I'm relieved I don't have to be responsible for the fraudulent charges, but on the other hand, it pisses me off that it will just be written off and end with that - which means we all pay for it in the long run. 

I still don't know if my identity was "stolen" 25 years ago, but something went amiss with my credit report and it was a massive descent into hell trying to get it straightened out.  I have a very common name and like to think this FBI employee in Baltimore with my name inadvertently used my social security number (after all, her SSN and address and employer appeared on MY credit report), but whatever the problem, it was a nightmare trying to convince Kay Bee Toys and Nordstrom and a ton of other stores that it wasn't me who had opened an account with them and furthermore, failed to pay the bill.

I know it's all by computer, but I just can't believe nothing got flagged when you had a credit report of a person in Texas who had ONE credit card with a high limit that was ALWAYS paid off monthly for many years suddenly have entries from Baltimore with a slew of store accounts that were delinquent. 

So that's a peeve--the stranglehold credit reporting companies have over every one of us, and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it.  Then I found out that it's Experian who was handling the identity verification for the federal health insurance exchange.  The verification involved talking to them on the phone and answering multiple choice questions, and even 20 years later, some of the questions included choices that were applicable to this person in Baltimore.  Is that shit still on my report?  Is it somewhere deep in the bowels of Experian's computers?  Do they enjoy watching us scream into the abyss?

But I'm with you.  It's a ridiculous system where people get away with buying no doubt millions of dollars of stuff using stolen credit cards, often having it DELIVERED TO AN ADDRESS, and the credit card companies just pass along the costs to us. 

This is a minor annoyance because I do appreciate the security, but the matching algorithms or whatever credit card companies use to flag "suspicious" activity are so random. The last couple of weeks, almost every time I buy something I get an alert from the bank and have to call them and wind my way through the automated menus: Did you make such-and-such purchase? Press 1 for yes.

Why is a dental bill from someone in my zip code suspicious? Or me ordering a new laptop? Or buying groceries at Publix which I do pretty much every week? It all seems so random to me.

A couple of decades ago I was on vacation and the bank actually cut off my card because I wasn't home to answer the phone and they weren't able to get a hold of me to verify charges.

• Love 1

I had my Visa card cut off for suspicious activity a few years ago, when it was the only credit card I had, and I had just arrived in a hotel for a solo long weekend.   I called the security line, we determined the card had probably been compromised, and they had to block the account and issue a new card.  I explained I was travelling; while my hotel was prepaid, and I had my debit card and cash and would be fine until I got home, I might find something awesome and expensive to purchase.  They gave me the direct line to reach a human being and said if I wanted to use the card, I could call and answer some security questions and they would unblock the account for that one transaction.  I said "Well, that's a lot like having a husband.  In the 50s."

• Love 2

Y'all are about to see me on the news. Those damn kids are running through my building again. They don't live here. I almost ran into a couple of them coming in the building when I was taking out the recycling and told them to stop. One of the little brats said, "It wasn't us; it was him!" pointing to the kid who had just run through. Do I not see you in my building, kid? Don't stand there and lie to me!

This also goes to show that my apartment complex management has done nothing about the problem. These kids have an entire complex with dead-end streets, yards to play in, a playground and a pool. But it's more fun to run through my building screaming.

I had my credit card declined at a Sephora in Las Vegas. I understood why it was flagged - I was there on business so the flight, hotel and meals were on my corporate card. The annoying part was that the credit card company called my home phone, so my husband got the call and promptly called me about a $250 change from "some makeup place" -oops!

9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It was so weird--as if they knew I rarely go to the movies!

They do, or at least that you rarely charge any movie related items.  It's actually scary what the banks and credit bureaus know about us. (Says someone who works in banking, specifically in cards).

• Love 4

bilgistic, feel free to clothesline the little buggers.

TattleTeeny, one of the things the rogues do when they have gotten your credit card number is a test run. They will charge a very small amount, maybe even just a couple of dollars, to see if you are the type of person who monitors your credit card online.   If no one notices, and reports the transaction, the rogue knows he is safe to use the card before it gets reported.   The credit card companies have gotten wise to this trick, and flag small transactions.

• Love 4

They do, or at least that you rarely charge any movie related items.  It's actually scary what the banks and credit bureaus know about us. (Says someone who works in banking, specifically in cards).

Haha, I always wonder about that! Are they judging me? Are they thinking, "What's with this girl and Thai food, crime books, and gin?"

TattleTeeny, one of the things the rogues do when they have gotten your credit card number is a test run. They will charge a very small amount, maybe even just a couple of dollars, to see if you are the type of person who monitors your credit card online.   If no one notices, and reports the transaction, the rogue knows he is safe to use the card before it gets reported.   The credit card companies have gotten wise to this trick, and flag small transactions.

Ahhhhh! And yikes!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

A few years ago, a friend was affected by the Target credit card breached and was offered credit monitoring. The company called and reviewed her visa statement to determine whether all the charges were hers.  They read off the list of charges in the month, and she answered "yes" to each.   Finally, the called said "There are a lot of large charges to something called NSLC that seem suspicious. Are they yours?"  "Yes."  "What is that?" "Liquor store"

• Love 3

I've never had a card declined for suspicious activity while I was attempting to make a legit purchase, but I did get a call from my bank once to say they had declined a transaction when they noticed that I had used my card in a restaurant in city A, and then attempted to use it 10 minutes later in city B for fast food. They correctly figured I could not teleport 200 miles in 10 minutes and would not be eating again that soon.

4 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I've never had a card declined for suspicious activity while I was attempting to make a legit purchase, but I did get a call from my bank once to say they had declined a transaction when they noticed that I had used my card in a restaurant in city A, and then attempted to use it 10 minutes later in city B for fast food. They correctly figured I could not teleport 200 miles in 10 minutes and would not be eating again that soon.

That actually makes sense!

The exasperating part is that when my card number was skimmed and used fraudulently, the bank didn't say boo to three $100 charges within 10 minutes, at a gas station across the country from me. At least these days we don't have to wait for monthly credit card statements to review charges.

Ugh, I don't know where else to put this, so I guess I'll call it a peeve with myself! I just read an article about a a baby elephant who, after being rejected by his mom, cried...and now I am blinking like a crazy person so that the guy in the cubicle next to mine doesn't see me do the same! Even just typing this now...ugh, I can't. Even though the elephant is fine now and being cared for, I can't get the idea out of my brain. This happens to me often (particularly with animal-related stories) and it's irrational and silly and I can't seem to help it. 

• Love 4

I have a peeve -  why is it that if you over-pluck your eyebrows, you risk the brows not growing back, and may have to deal with sparse eyebrows for the rest of your life  -

BUT the little mole on the side of your face, has one thick  black hair growing out of it that KEEPS COMING BACK no matter how many times you pluck it out? 

• Love 4

I have a peeve -  why is it that if you over-pluck your eyebrows, you risk the brows not growing back, and may have to deal with sparse eyebrows for the rest of your life  -

Yeah, and why does it not seem to work for the eyebrow hairs one actually does wish would never grow back? Or other hair on our bodies? And furthermore, why is the hair I don't even want on my legs still as blond as it was when I was a child while I have to pay big bucks for the same privilege on my head?!

• Love 1

And why does my husband, for whom it is socially acceptable to have hair on his body, have almost none, while I have to spend 20 minutes doing hair removal if I want to wear a swimsuit in public? And this isn't once in a while. It's at least once a week. It's just so unfair.

• Love 3
On 8/16/2016 at 7:41 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, I don't know where else to put this, so I guess I'll call it a peeve with myself! I just read an article about a a baby elephant who, after being rejected by his mom, cried...and now I am blinking like a crazy person so that the guy in the cubicle next to mine doesn't see me do the same! Even just typing this now...ugh, I can't. Even though the elephant is fine now and being cared for, I can't get the idea out of my brain. This happens to me often (particularly with animal-related stories) and it's irrational and silly and I can't seem to help it. 

I don't see anything irrational or silly about it.  I've been crying at animal stories since I was old enough to have them read to me -- my parents & sitters soon learned to choose only funny stuff for me.  Poor little elephant!  Thanks for assuring us that it's OK now.  Sniffff!!

• Love 3

Oh, thank you! I actually meant irrational ore about not being able to unsee it though. I have this problem with a lot of bad stuff; it really sticks, and it's maddening. (TMI alert: I'm working on this with a therapist.) I'm just glad I had on waterproof mascara that day.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

@TattleTeeny, Medicare made me cry today, if that's any consolation.

As usual when things don't personally apply, I had no idea Medicare was so (1) complicated and (2) expensive. I've spent a lot of time in the past month meeting with a SHINE representative, insurance agent, talking to friends, reading government materials as well as all the promotional shit I've been receiving in the mail. Then it was another three hours on the phone today with various insurance companies trying to find out what my estimated ANNUAL out of pocket costs would be for my prescriptions under their various plans, only to find out later that to them, ANNUAL means Oct/Nov/Dec of this year! And nobody thought that was worth mentioning. Plus of course I kept getting different answers to the same questions depending on who I spoke to.

Seriously. Fuck me with a chainsaw.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, lordonia said:

@TattleTeeny, Medicare made me cry today, if that's any consolation.

As usual when things don't personally apply, I had no idea Medicare was so (1) complicated and (2) expensive. I've spent a lot of time in the past month meeting with a SHINE representative, insurance agent, talking to friends, reading government materials as well as all the promotional shit I've been receiving in the mail. Then it was another three hours on the phone today with various insurance companies trying to find out what my estimated ANNUAL out of pocket costs would be for my prescriptions under their various plans, only to find out later that to them, ANNUAL means Oct/Nov/Dec of this year! And nobody thought that was worth mentioning. Plus of course I kept getting different answers to the same questions depending on who I spoke to.

I was working on behalf of a client last year, and was trying to understand Medicare benefits.   Part of the explanation that I got stuck on was someone saying that after a certain time, you are "in the doughnut hole" - and she went on, as though that expression made perfect sense to anyone with a brain!   I'm a smart person, I have an advanced degree, I mastered calculus in high school, but what the fuck do DOUGHNUT HOLES have to do with Medicare?   I asked her for an explanation that made sense, and she couldn't.  I hate when people have terms that they use everyday, because it's their JOB, and expect those of us who don't do their jobs, to understand the meanings.

• Love 2

God, the doughnut hole! I read that shit at least 10 times and still don't understand the analogy or exactly what's happening except that I feel like I'm in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

How does this make any sense as a process? Say my medication is $500/month, then after some period of time I go in the hole and it's $1000/month, then after I hit the "catastrophic" yearly out of pocket maximum of around $5000 I don't pay anything. The next year it starts all over again. (Mind you, this is an additional policy I have to buy and pay premiums on because basic Medicare doesn't cover prescriptions.)

Medicare issues an 8.5 X 11 phone book sized guide of 153 pages to "help" me understand. I threw it at the wall this week.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Rethink this--that kind of thing sounds like it will result in a whole lot more Medicare mayhem!

I hate when people have terms that they use everyday, because it's their JOB, and expect those of us who don't do their jobs, to understand the meanings.

Ugh...yes. I actually deal with this from a different perspective: I write and copy edit for a niche retail catalog and website, and am constantly arguing with the purchasing department (which supplies the information I need for the copy) that no, we cannot use the wording that you gave me as is! It's meant to be read by people who don't work in the industry--you know, I think we call them "customers"!--and there is no reason they should be expected to understand your abbreviations and nicknames and shit (not to mention misspellings, lack of punctuation, and typos). And, no, if you cannot supply the complete information for something we are selling, I will not make it up (though I am often left with no option but visiting competitors' websites to see if I can find missing details...which is not my job, by the way). Pull it together, assholes.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

@TattleTeeny- good for you!  I was having a conversation with someone (though it felt more like I was being lectured)  who kept talking about the importance of "looking at the comps."  So in my head, I'm playing a word game Compensations?  Comparisons? Comprehension?  Comprehensives? I didn't care enough to ask, but I had no idea what he was talking about.

• Love 1

I have the same problem, @TattleTeeny, only in education. I always have to explain to people that if I don't understand what they mean, other people won't either. Their response is usually, "This is for teachers/counselors/people who work in the industry." I always try to tell them that doesn't mean the audience knows all their jargon (which they don't think is jargon) and ask them what about the new people who just started work? And then I rewrite it after they explain it to me. And then I mutter about how stupid people are.

The funny thing is that several years ago we got into the whole Baldrige thing, but nobody ever stopped to think about Malcolm Baldrige's push for using plain English in government documents. Heck, I don't think anybody but me ever even looked up who Malcolm Baldrige was. Certainly none of them knew he was Letitia Baldrige's brother -- not that they knew who she was either.

ETA: I just discovered I didn't actually post this. I typed it and hit the button to go back to the topic instead of submit reply. But the text is all still here. I must be more tired than I thought.

• Love 1

One of my pet peeves is when people assume a cause and effect relationship between two things just because one followed the other.   ESPECIALLY when it is a holier-than-thou religious person who connects any natural disaster to some policy decision he doesn't like.  

SO - I got some perverse pleasure from this story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tony-perkins-louisiana-flood_us_57b5d854e4b0fd5a2f41a503?

In 2015, the Family Research Council’s Tony Perkins interviewed extreme Messianic Jewish pastor Jonathan Cahn, who suggested that Hurricane Joaquin, which devastated the Bahamas, was a “sign of God’s wrath” against abortion and the Supreme Court’s historic ruling on same-sex marriage. Perkins agreed, saying that while “those on the left like to mock these things,” American leaders have historically viewed hurricanes as signs that “God is trying to send us a message.”

A year later, however, it’s a much different story. On Tuesday, Perkins said he and his family had to escape their Louisiana home in a canoe over the weekend because of the state’s devastating ― and record-breaking ― floods.

“This is a flood of, I would have to say, near-biblical proportions,” Perkins told listeners on his “Washington Watch” radio show, as heard in the audio snippet below. “This is unlike anything we’ve seen before... It’s a matter of picking up the pieces.” 

This time around, Perkins didn’t tie the recent flooding to divine intervention, though. Instead, he said that the floods had been sent as an “incredible, encouraging spiritual exercise to take you to the next level in your walk with an almighty and gracious God who does all things well.” 

Yep, when it happens to other people, it's because of the gays.  When it happens to me, it's a test of my faith.  OK

• Love 7

OK, and let's say that god was indeed punishing a group of people (for my hypothetical purposes, I'll go with animal abusers. Or Jewel)--what kind of crazed deity would punish everyone else with a flood? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1