Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: A Family Affair

He's playing god, and I firmly believe that he has a desired outcome in mind, as to who he wants to win, by the time the season starts.  He holds all the cards, so he can manipulate the game to get the result he wants.

Trump may have an idea of how he wants things should go at the start, but he'll change his mind if somebody disappoints him or makes a particularly good argument. I don't think he planned to pick Piers, but Piers pretty much forced his hand with the argument he made (Trump has cut off subsequent contestants who threatened to do the same).

I would think that people donating large sums of money might be particular about what charities they support.

It would help if the producers screened the charities better. Near the end of  Holly Robinson Peete's season, it became a topic of conversation on TWOP what a fraud her charity was. Others, while more honest, have had no broad appeal, sometimes being in niches that threatened to put off some potential donors.

• Love 4
Trace was the most disconnected contestant I've ever seen

I think Trace was just one of those contestants who knew precisely how things were rigged.  He just hid his contempt worse than some.

I always like a contestant who has no respect for Trump but walks that line where Trump can't actually bring himself to believe it.  Penn was too open about laughing in his face.  But Trace always looked so dour that Trump could say "oh, that wacky Trace - he's a scary looking guy!"  

I also enjoy (a little) the ones who don't mind sucking up to him, because it's patently insincere, yet he laps it up.  Kenya Moore, I'm looking at you!

• Love 10

Trump may have an idea of how he wants things should go at the start, but he'll change his mind if somebody disappoints him or makes a particularly good argument. I don't think he planned to pick Piers, but Piers pretty much forced his hand with the argument he made (Trump has cut off subsequent contestants who threatened to do the same).

It would help if the producers screened the charities better. Near the end of  Holly Robinson Peete's season, it became a topic of conversation on TWOP what a fraud her charity was. Others, while more honest, have had no broad appeal, sometimes being in niches that threatened to put off some potential donors.

I remember looking at the percentage of the money that actually went to the intended recipients that season, and IIRC, for HRP it was 30-50% or some such ridiculous amount. The rest went to "fundraising" expenses and administrative expenses. It really opened my eyes. I agree, I wish the producers (or Trump's minions) would screen the charities better, demanding a minimum of 90% to the charity. All others, to the end of the line. If 2 celebs have the same charity, ok, many of the sums raised are small enough that they can use all the donations they can get. (I'm thinking of Wounded Warrior, etc)

Insuring that the money is well spent by a charity is just good business. You'd think a "businessman" like Trump would vet them beforehand.

Donors know or would need to be told that their donation may go to the other team, to a charity they don't know enough about to donate to. Personally, I think the $20-25k Trump gives is chicken feed. IMO, Trump should open his wallet a little more, give the winning team an extra $50k plus whatever the client gives and what the team raised. The losing team should keep only what they raised for their charity. Trump could still brag he gave millions to charity...

• Love 6

I'm old and I never heard of Ian before this CA. I can't get my head around Ian being supposedly pronounced as Eye-on. WTFF? That's like my saying: "My name is spelled F I O N A but it's pronounced Helen. Grrrr. I don't know why that bothers me so much, but it does. If his parents were too stupid to know how to correctly pronounce it, he should have quit "correcting" other people 40+ yrs ago. Pls, don't anyone here tell me it's an alternative pronunciation.

Lorenzo needs to darken/color his eyebrows. His are gray or non existent and it looks weird.

• Love 5

I agree, portia7. I was just ranting to Mr. Ghoulina about it the other night. I told him, "It would be like if we named our daughter Katie and told everyone that we're pronouncing it cat-eye or something". Different spellings are one thing, off the wall pronunciations? Some parents.....LOL!

• Love 3

I saw Trace Atkins on his season. I didn't care for his charity choice. That sound wonky but bear with me. He chose some food allergy charity which could be great but he explained it thusly: "when our third kid was 6 months old, we fed her peanut butter. She then developed food allergies. So that's why Children's Food Allergies is my charity."

Me: you gave a baby peanut butter???? WTH? And she was 6 months old??? And she was your third kid???? You could have avoided this entire mishegoss by being, you know, a parent who follows doctor's orders. As far as I'm concerned, Trace and his wife *gave* their daughter the fricking food allergy. What a couple of idjits.

• Love 4

I saw Trace Atkins on his season. I didn't care for his charity choice. That sound wonky but bear with me. He chose some food allergy charity which could be great but he explained it thusly: "when our third kid was 6 months old, we fed her peanut butter. She then developed food allergies. So that's why Children's Food Allergies is my charity."

Me: you gave a baby peanut butter???? WTH? And she was 6 months old??? And she was your third kid???? You could have avoided this entire mishegoss by being, you know, a parent who follows doctor's orders. As far as I'm concerned, Trace and his wife *gave* their daughter the fricking food allergy. What a couple of idjits.

His daughter was 9 months old and grabbed a lid off of a peanut butter jar while her mom was making sandwiches for the two older kids.  The lid had no visible peanut butter on it, but she licked it and immediately went into a full blown allergic reaction.  With no known nut allergies in the family, there was no reason for Trace and his wife to keep peanut butter and other nuts out of their home.  After a trip to the emergency room they had their daughter tested and found that she's allergic to all forms of nuts, milk, and eggs.  They have to be constantly vigilant to anything that could cause another reaction, because the next time could cause her death.  The entire family now eats only foods that the youngest daughter can tolerate, and only rarely eats out because it's too risky.

The daughter is so sensitive that she will only handle foods after her parents or another responsible adult deems it to be safe.  I'd say that under those conditions I'd certainly want to publicly support a charity that was devoted to spreading the word about the damage that severe allergies could cause and how to avoid them is well worth going on CA and putting up with DT.

• Love 16

Perhaps that's the case, but it's not how TA detailed it when he was on CA. Maybe he's playing a little bit of revisionist history since there had to be tons of parents like me who thought their carelessness was appalling.

• Love 1

IMO...and of course YMMV...how someone's name is spelled and pronounced is their own personal deal and I don't think someone should basically have to get over themselves because they happen to react when someone doesn't pronounce their name the way they and their family pronounce it.  

My family liked the extra E in names....therefore I am ShellEy.  If someone spells it Shelly, I don't react as strongly as Ian does when someone mispronounces his name, but I am bugged by it especially when they are sent an email or a message which has my name correctly spelled on it.  I think for Ian when he has made the point to tell someone the correct pronunciation of his name and they still don't bother to do it correct, it grates.  I can totally associate with that.  

• Love 5

As soon as I saw the presentations for the Cosmo task, I knew the girls were going to lose. As much as I loathe the selfie craze, and the fact that Geraldo found another way to make a task all about him, the men's campaign was very focused, very cohesive. The women's was just a scattered mess....much like Jamie herself. 

And then when Ivanka was only able to give the women's team ONE positive (you used the correct buzzwords? lame!), that sealed the deal. And rightly so. You know, I kind of liked Jamie prior to this task, but her behavior in the boardroom annoyed me so strongly, I was ready to send her packing, Actually, all of the women were annoying me. They kept pushing to vote off whomever they didn't like - not ONE person mentioned that Jamie should be fired. But it was absolutely her fault they lost the task. 

She can try and weasel her way out of it, by claiming Kenya did the the editing - but Kenya could only edit what she had to work with, and ultimately the PM is responsible for what content is put together. You had too many different things going on, and it sucked. Jamie was just so indecisive, such a pushover. It was driving me nuts! When she started backpeddling in the board room - "Oh, I think I made a mistake, I should have brought Brandi" - DEAD. You're dead to me. And I HATE Brandi, but damn. Be strong and confident, make a decision and stick to it. Yikes. Not sad to see her go. 

And I did totally agree with Kenya that age should not be a factor, we shouldn't be giving passes to people because they're "young". Please. 

Biggest lesson learned so far - DO NOT send Kate shopping! 

Now, onto the fundraiser task. Ian. Ian, Ian, Ian - I was secretly a bit in love with you until you became PM. I still think you're a very nice guy, and I love that you picked a charity that likely does not get a lot of attention....but right now I'm feeling insanely sorry for your wife. Could you imagine living with the constant motivational speeches and platitudes? He was even stopping Terrell on the way out to dish out more of that nonsense. Run, Terrell, Run!!!!

I still like Ian, pissed that he didn't win. But I don't really consider $2500 in a task of this magnitude a "win" anyhow. Nice of the teams to both be able to support their charities.....and how magnanimous of Trump to throw out such a large sum as $6000 to round off Geraldo's amount. Wow. You really are a giver. (End sarcasm)

Brandi and her panic attack...not buying it. I've had panic attacks before, and at no point during one have I sat, giggling on the floor, asking someone on the phone if I'm possibly having a panic attack? She just didn't want to be around Kenya. 

The funny thing is, I dislike Brandi and Kenya both on their respective shows....but putting them together in this format has done something interesting. It's kind of making me like Kenya. Kenya is crazy, and nasty, and a liar....but in this venue she works hard and she certainly knows how to schmooze people (which can be a big asset in the business world). And since I probably hate Brandi more, I love the little digs Kenya gets in. My favorite? Brandi says Kenya is smart, but a good manipulator....Trump asks if Kenya considers that a compliment....Kenya: "I don't consider anything she says". BAM! 

Can you tell I'm ready for Brandi to go home? Good thing she somehow managed to scrounge up $40k. 

Where in the world did Kate get HER money? That's the real burning question!

The best part of this episode was Sig abducting the women off the street. He's the underrated star of the show.

As soon as I saw the presentations for the Cosmo task, I knew the girls were going to lose. As much as I loathe the selfie craze, and the fact that Geraldo found another way to make a task all about him, the men's campaign was very focused, very cohesive. The women's was just a scattered mess....much like Jamie herself. 

And then when Ivanka was only able to give the women's team ONE positive (you used the correct buzzwords? lame!), that sealed the deal. And rightly so. You know, I kind of liked Jamie prior to this task, but her behavior in the boardroom annoyed me so strongly, I was ready to send her packing, Actually, all of the women were annoying me. They kept pushing to vote off whomever they didn't like - not ONE person mentioned that Jamie should be fired. But it was absolutely her fault they lost the task. 

She can try and weasel her way out of it, by claiming Kenya did the the editing - but Kenya could only edit what she had to work with, and ultimately the PM is responsible for what content is put together. You had too many different things going on, and it sucked. Jamie was just so indecisive, such a pushover. It was driving me nuts! When she started backpeddling in the board room - "Oh, I think I made a mistake, I should have brought Brandi" - DEAD. You're dead to me. And I HATE Brandi, but damn. Be strong and confident, make a decision and stick to it. Yikes. Not sad to see her go. 

And I did totally agree with Kenya that age should not be a factor, we shouldn't be giving passes to people because they're "young". Please. 

Biggest lesson learned so far - DO NOT send Kate shopping! 

Now, onto the fundraiser task. Ian. Ian, Ian, Ian - I was secretly a bit in love with you until you became PM. I still think you're a very nice guy, and I love that you picked a charity that likely does not get a lot of attention....but right now I'm feeling insanely sorry for your wife. Could you imagine living with the constant motivational speeches and platitudes? He was even stopping Terrell on the way out to dish out more of that nonsense. Run, Terrell, Run!!!!

I still like Ian, pissed that he didn't win. But I don't really consider $2500 in a task of this magnitude a "win" anyhow. Nice of the teams to both be able to support their charities.....and how magnanimous of Trump to throw out such a large sum as $6000 to round off Geraldo's amount. Wow. You really are a giver. (End sarcasm)

Brandi and her panic attack...not buying it. I've had panic attacks before, and at no point during one have I sat, giggling on the floor, asking someone on the phone if I'm possibly having a panic attack? She just didn't want to be around Kenya. 

The funny thing is, I dislike Brandi and Kenya both on their respective shows....but putting them together in this format has done something interesting. It's kind of making me like Kenya. Kenya is crazy, and nasty, and a liar....but in this venue she works hard and she certainly knows how to schmooze people (which can be a big asset in the business world). And since I probably hate Brandi more, I love the little digs Kenya gets in. My favorite? Brandi says Kenya is smart, but a good manipulator....Trump asks if Kenya considers that a compliment....Kenya: "I don't consider anything she says". BAM! 

Can you tell I'm ready for Brandi to go home? Good thing she somehow managed to scrounge up $40k. 

The best part of this episode was Sig abducting the women off the street. He's the underrated star of the show.

You're one of my faves, Ghoulina. Always on point. I, too, suffer from anxiety and bipolar which make for some actual panic attacks. The only doubt I've ever had during them was whether or not I would survive this one. I, too, am developing some lurrve for Kenya. I don't consider anything Brandi says either. Lolol.
  • Love 1
I loved Shawn as a gymnast, and liked her both seasons of DWTS, but I'm not liking her much on this show.  She seems to have an inflated sense of her contribution - not that it's uncommon with these people.  Other than deciding they should be the stars and wrap themselves unattractively in flags, what exactly did Shawn and Jamie do?  I don't like Kenya (at all) but she seemed to direct the photo shoot and put the magazine layout together.  In the boardroom Kenya stated she was the MVP, and Shawn laughed - clearly thinking she was a big lifter in that challenge.  What am I missing?

You're probably right, and I'm not sure why Shawn's bothering me so much.  I'm not falling for the sweet persona, gymnastics can be a cutthroat sport.  She's a tough young woman.  I though Vivica was wrong to capitalize on the "Shawn having her period" SL, but what a sly smile Shawn had when she got up in Vivica's face and talked about "menopause".  Vivica is only fifty - but Shawn made her point.  Shawn is young and fresh, Vivica is old and dryed up.  She had every right to stand up for herself, but she didn't need to make an age crack.  And her smile told me it was deliberate - as well as dead and center in front of the camera.

I've followed Shawn since her first stint on Dancing with the Stars. I adored her then but after reading her book and watching her on her next go at DWTS I've found her to be a pill. She seems to very much value her physical prowess and always being the youngest one in any group.  That’s not very surprising given that she was in a sport that values youth and female athletes are seen as over the hill before they’re out of their teens, but it really seemed to manifest itself once she failed to contend for the 2012 Olympic team. She seemed bitter about it in interviews until DWTS came back around and then she was back in her element as the youngest, vivacious athlete and a frontrunner in something again I think all of that helped swell her ego.

Looking at her participation on the show so far, the only times she’s really shown enthusiasm is during the first challenge, where she thought being younger would give her a leg up on the whole social networking thing, and then pitching ideas that didn’t really land for the fitness spread challenge. Even this last episode, her great contribution was climbing up to the ceiling to hang up a banner. I had to lol when she proudly proclaimed she was showing people what she’s made of. A former gymnast who isn’t afraid of heights? Mindblowing. Kate clapping her hands in glee was amusing though. I find interesting and oddly sweet how much she seems to genuinely like Shawn.

• Love 5
I had to laugh when Trump insinuated Johnny Damon could've asked Red Sox owner John Henry for money and Damon's retort was "Not in 2005..." Oh, Trump -- you really are clueless about so many things.

I finally saw the second episode tonight.  Trump said, "You could call up John Henry and he'd give you all the money you wanted," and Damon replied, "Well, he didn't in 2005."  (Damon's contract was up that year, and he left for the Yankees.)

Also, regarding Ian's little going-away pep talk for TO, I have a feeling that Terrell isn't having the easiest time with the adjustment to life after football. It's not like he's calling games or serving anywhere as a studio analyst, he's not coaching... from what I can find he's doing speaking gigs and the occasional reality show, he's dabbled in acting, he had a football podcast with Rob Cesternino.... Obviously I don't know the guy, but it sounds like he could be in sort of a lost state.  Also, going by his WP entry, this series was filmed not long after he had been sued for divorce by a woman he had been married to for two weeks, so that could have led to a down emotional state as well.

• Love 3

Please somebody define TBTP stands for sp can go bang muy puny head againt the wall.

Gerald donaled $259,000 to a staten Isaland college to fund research and knowledge for the developmentally disadvantaged.  This is the same charity he became stuck on while doing an expose of horrible conditions years ago.  He did that last week.

Where can I see these episodes rather than real time real TV?]]\

Thanks for any answers, my friends.

My guess is that it came from TLC.  They made a lot of money from her shows and they may want to do another one with her.  If she stays in this show long enough maybe, just maybe, she will get some favorable reviews.  Now, we know that is impossible.   You would think that would have been mentioned, though.  Geraldo was eager to say he got a big check from Fox and Friends.  It may forever remain a mystery.  

• Love 1

Micks Picks : Hi from your old friend walnutqueen!  TPTB = The Powers That Be, meaning, I surmise, the suits, etc.  That's the extent of my knowledge into the secret world of internet speak.  As to the other, I don't watch anything unless it is aired on my old fashioned television and my new fangled DVR.  :-D

• Love 2

Not liking this 2 challenges per episode.  Feels like we're not getting enough of the company explanation, pitch or charity check.

Kate brought in 2 hairstylists on the day they were setting up the store...did they ever come back?  I'm no Kate fan, but I thought that was a pretty good idea and wanted to see them in action.  Maybe it was a blink & miss it moment?

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Ted Gibson (RHoDC & What Not to Wear reality fame).  Kate did score with a 30K donation but if she was on the losing team, she had this coup which definitely could help draw in a crowd.

These fundraising competitions are ridiculous.  It's all about connections, not about actually raising money with strategy or a marketing campaign.  It proves nothing. 

I haven't watch the show in years.  Now I'm reminded why.  I wish something else of interest was on Monday nights.

EXCEPT this time.  This time, a wedding gown could have made the difference.  Whereas in the first episode, it would have been a hundreds of pies, a wedding gown being sold could have been $2,500 or more.

Kenya lives in Los Angeles, had a production studio there, so I am guessing they've crossed paths more than once. And it's probably a battle to see which HW franchise can get the farthest in the game. I've yet to see any of the other housewives donate money, and I really think their feud is mostly for show. They are encouraged by production on their respective shows to trash the other women in their talking heads, so it may just be something they are trained like monkeys to do. Kenya is very good at giving the side-eye, silently, while Brandi likes to run her mouth. When Jamie first suggested Kenya had the better body for a magazine layout about fitness, Brandi wasn't going to let that happen. Then when she is awarded that job, she refuses to undress because she's out of shape. Go figure.

Kenya doesn't like Brandi for a few reasons.  1) Brandi called the Atlanta HWs scary and ghetto.  2) Brandi made racial remarks on RHoBH.  3) Brandi behaved like an ass at a Bravo upfront and got into it with a couple of the ATL HWs.

My biggest problem with this (double) episode was that it's way too early to have a repeat project manager after just a few episodes, when so many other contestants haven't been one yet. When Geraldo said he was going to be PM again, DT should have said: "That's great, Geraldo. I love your enthusiasm. But you were just a project manager. Pick someone else."

This.  Geraldo wanted to beat Ian.  His team could have beat Ian with his donations but he had to be the PM. 

As for the credit card fees, you can negotiate ahead of time with the issuers and get the fee reduced or paid for by the donor.  I've seen it happen.  It isn't easy but you can do it.  Usually, you need to give one issuer or bank all the business for that fundraising effort and a little PR.  You can also get the donation limit waved.  I'm surprised Trump hasn't gotten a bank as a show underwriter and had them absorb those costs.

Not seeing how Brandi is being on good behavior.  Sure she could be more hideous but she's not being good.

Edited by Lola16
  • Love 2

BusyOctober, according to my husband who is a diehard football fan, Tyrell pronounces his name as Ti-RELL.

I'm not a huge fan of Ian's, although he has a much better brain than I knew he did.  I know full well that he may have been playing for camera time, but I thought what he said to Tyrell was thoughtful.  Of course, it Geraldo had said it, I'd be booing him off the screen!  lol   Who knows?

Edited by MarkHB
Removed excess blank space.
  • Love 1

Not liking this 2 challenges per episode.  Feels like we're not getting enough of the company explanation, pitch or charity check.

The producers have always had trouble fitting everything in during the early part of the season, with so many contestants to create air-worthy moments. When they initially tried to solve the problem, they tried extra-long episodes at the season start, and showing a completely re-edited version instead of a normal rerun, before settling on putting bonus clips on their web site. They've been hit and miss about them; I haven't checked the site yet this season.

I remember looking at the percentage of the money that actually went to the intended recipients that season, and IIRC, for HRP it was 30-50% or some such ridiculous amount. The rest went to "fundraising" expenses and administrative expenses. It really opened my eyes.

It was much worse if you looked at the details of where the money went; Holly basically lied about the purpose of the charity, spending all season talking about the poor children after sending a whopping $600 to a children's charity...for the first time. That wasn't the cause for which the charity was created,

• Love 1

It's probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually don't have a problem with Geraldo.  I used to really appreciate the fact that he would get on his assorted news shows and vilify murders and probable/alleged murderers (such as Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson, Phil Spector, etc.), because he at least dared to voice his opinion, when very few other TV journalists or hosts would.

Don't get me wrong -- I can totally see why/how Geraldo annoys a lot of people, and I don't disagree that he can be obnoxious, but he's good for the show because of his pomposity.   He's entertaining.  He's not a dumb person.  He is accomplished (even if, for most of his career, he hasn't been taken seriously).  I think that his team members should use him and whatever fame/infamy/connections he brings in any way they can, instead of leaving him out of things simply because they don't like him. 

And -- I can't believe I'm saying this -- I actually didn't even mind Kate when she was working with Geraldo.  Normally I am not a fan, but she seemed to lighten up and have a sense of humor all of a sudden!

If Geraldo got fired, then the drama would be left to Kenya and Brandi, and I think that one of them is going to be headed out the door fairly soon.

It's probably an unpopular opinion, but I actually don't have a problem with Geraldo.  I used to really appreciate the fact that he would get on his assorted news shows and vilify murders and probable/alleged murderers (such as Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson, Phil Spector, etc.), because he at least dared to voice his opinion, when very few other TV journalists or hosts would.

Don't get me wrong -- I can totally see why/how Geraldo annoys a lot of people, and I don't disagree that he can be obnoxious, but he's good for the show because of his pomposity.   He's entertaining.  He's not a dumb person.  He is accomplished (even if, for most of his career, he hasn't been taken seriously).  I think that his team members should use him and whatever fame/infamy/connections he brings in any way they can, instead of leaving him out of things simply because they don't like him. 

And -- I can't believe I'm saying this -- I actually didn't even mind Kate when she was working with Geraldo.  Normally I am not a fan, but she seemed to lighten up and have a sense of humor all of a sudden!

If Geraldo got fired, then the drama would be left to Kenya and Brandi, and I think that one of them is going to be headed out the door fairly soon.

I starting having a soft spot for Geraldo because Willowbrook.   I actually studied under a professor that was a part of GR's team and I heard good things from this professor about that time. Then he became fairly ridiculous and I haven't watched him in years. On CA I've had a somewhat similar reaction. He's fun to watch. This is my first year following CA and Geraldo is part of the reason. I think he's all the negative stuff people here are saying, but I don't really care. And -- I enjoyed him with Kate (of whom I am no fan). Was Kate really singing? She wasn't too bad -- in an ordinary person singing kind of way. 

• Love 1

I starting having a soft spot for Geraldo because Willowbrook.   I actually studied under a professor that was a part of GR's team and I heard good things from this professor about that time. Then he became fairly ridiculous and I haven't watched him in years. On CA I've had a somewhat similar reaction. He's fun to watch. This is my first year following CA and Geraldo is part of the reason. I think he's all the negative stuff people here are saying, but I don't really care. And -- I enjoyed him with Kate (of whom I am no fan). Was Kate really singing? She wasn't too bad -- in an ordinary person singing kind of way.

Willowbrook was a long time ago. He did start a very needed revolution in care of the mentally disabled. He took that cause and made a career for himself.

However, he now reminds me of Betty Davis in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. He's an egotistical idiot that rivals Trump's ego. His Al Capone's vault, the map in the sand and selfies at a funeral all tell me what he's become. Sad...

• Love 3

I enjoy being on this side and watching Geraldo.  Would not enjoy working with him at all.

• Love 1