Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 01/12/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 1/12: Dr. Mehmet Oz, Lindsey Stirling, guest co-hosts Nikki Glaser & Michelle Williams
Tu 1/13: Josh Gad, Ioan Gruffudd, Evan, guest co-hosts Jodi Applegate & Naya Rivera
We 1/14: George Lopez, Donny Osmond, guest co-hosts Naya Rivera & Samantha Ponder
Th 1/15: Marisa Tomei, Amanda Peet, guest co-hosts Billy Eichner & Kelly Osborne
Fr 1/16: Guest co-host Barbara Walters

Joy is filling in for Whoopi on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday.

I did not know that Whoopie was out and caught some last week and today.   I prefer the show without her.  I have been a long time fan but with Rosie as the host, I have enjoyed it.  The political sparing they do is exhausting.  They need to take a lesson from The Talk and learn how to allow one to finish their thought and not interrupt!  That drives me nuts.  

• Love 5

Oh, hell to the No! Has that violinist never heard of Natalie Macmaster?  "Doing something no-one else does?"  I think not!  Natalie's been doing that act for years.  This young 'un certainly didn't invent it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmqRZ7gO1U

Thanks Tunia, I THOUGHT there was something wrong with that statement.  (Big Natalie fan here!!!)

Also, Nicolle thought she could head off the people who would criticize her for buying a purebred puppy by saying she knows she should adopt, but she just LOVES THE BREED!!  No!!  She wants a puppy from a breed she knows & isn't willing to take a chance on getting the same breed, albeit a little older, from a breed-specific rescue organization.  That was strike one IMHO against her.  Having said that, I was a breed snob for many years (German Shepherd), but saw the error of my ways many years ago.  (When you know better, you do better!!  TM Oprah)

• Love 6

Oh, hell to the No! Has that violinist never heard of Natalie Macmtaaster?  "Doing something no-one else does?"  I think not!  Natalie's been doing that act for years.  This young 'un certainly didn't invent it!

Taylor Swift also

Maybe I was just disappointed that Joy wasn't there, but I didn't enjoy today's show. In fact I only made it to the end of the Dr. Oz segment. 

It's unfortunate that Whoopi has to be off the same time as Rosie P, as we're getting too many *repeat* guest hosts.   And their absence certainly isn't going to help the 4 co-hosts form a friendly, respectful working relationship.

Also, as much as I love Rosie O, I feel she's bringing up her gastic sleeve in every weight loss segment, especially when the focus is on healthy eating. I'm glad she found something that worked for her, and she's not trying to hide how she lost the weight, but not everyone needs/wants/or can have surgery and healthy eating tips can be helpful too.

• Love 3

Interesting how, on this forum, we were discussing how much we HATE when hosts of a TV show hawk products to the extent that the commercial is integrated into the show, with no delineation between entertainment and marketing.   Then they have Dr. Oz on, who is the person MOST guilty of this.   In fact, there have been some investigations of him based on him giving "medical advice"  about products where there is no science to back it up.  (Is he making money off these?  I don't know) 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/17/health/senate-grills-dr-oz/

http://www.moneytalksnews.com/you-may-want-think-twice-before-following-ozs-advice/

A U.S. Senate subcommittee in June accused Oz of misleading consumers when he touted green coffee bean extract as a weight loss supplement, according to CBS. In reality, the pills weren’t approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for weight loss, and the company that produced them settled a false advertising suit with the Federal Trade Commission in September

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/diet-fitness/dr-oz-effect-senators-scold-mehmet-oz-diet-scams-n133226.

Oz plays a role in perpetuating scams, (Senator) McCaskill said.

“When you feature a product on your show it creates what has become known as the ‘Dr. Oz Effect’ — dramatically boosting sales and driving scam artists to pop up overnight using false and deceptive ads to sell questionable products,’ she said.

“While I understand that your message is occasionally focused on basics like healthy eating and exercise, I am concerned that you are melding medical advice, news, and entertainment in a way that harms consumers.”

• Love 6

Thanks Tunia, I THOUGHT there was something wrong with that statement.  (Big Natalie fan here!!!)

Also, Nicolle thought she could head off the people who would criticize her for buying a purebred puppy by saying she knows she should adopt, but she just LOVES THE BREED!!  No!!  She wants a puppy from a breed she knows & isn't willing to take a chance on getting the same breed, albeit a little older, from a breed-specific rescue organization.  That was strike one IMHO against her.  Having said that, I was a breed snob for many years (German Shepherd), but saw the error of my ways many years ago.  (When you know better, you do better!!  TM Oprah)

I missed most of the show; did she mention the breed? Please tell me it wasn't a Cane Corso, lol. I think famous people, like President Obama for example, miss a great opportunity to encourage and popularize the adoption of rescue and shelter dogs when they go the breeder route. It makes me sad. As does the rising popularity of Cane Corsos and other powerful breeds that most families have no business owning or breeding, for that matter.

Did they discuss Paris or the Je Suis Charlie movement at all? Any acknowledgement of George Zimmerman's frequent flier status at his local police department?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the F-bomb Rosie dropped today.

I haven't seen the show yet, but can anyone provide details? Yahoo just loves to give those headlines and the there's no substance to the article. So was Rosie saying "Fuck YEAH!" to what that Natalie Glaser person was saying? What? What?

• Love 2

I missed most of the show; did she mention the breed? Please tell me it wasn't a Cane Corso, lol. I think famous people, like President Obama for example, miss a great opportunity to encourage and popularize the adoption of rescue and shelter dogs when they go the breeder route. It makes me sad. As does the rising popularity of Cane Corsos and other powerful breeds that most families have no business owning or breeding, for that matter.

Did they discuss Paris or the Je Suis Charlie movement at all? Any acknowledgement of George Zimmerman's frequent flier status at his local police department?

Actually, the puppy was a (Hungarian) Vizsla, one of the sweetest dogs in the world.  Truly a suck-face breed, but still ....

• Love 2

No & No (as far as a remember) -- LOL.

The puppy was adorable!

Did I miss them mentioning  why Joy wasn't there today, or if she will be tomorrow?

Yes, but ALL puppies are adorable .... that's what gets us "hooked"!!  LOL.

No mention of Joy today (as far as I remember) -- LOL.

• Love 2

They mentioned the rally in Paris only with respect to the absence of a high level US representative, like the President.  Nicolle pointed out that wherever the President goes, so goes "one thousand" people in his entourage and maybe there was a good reason.  She prefaced her comments by saying she no longer works in the White House (really?) and that she is only guessing at the reason.   Since then, I've heard a White House spokesperson say it was a mistep and in retrospect they should have sent someone (Biden?) to Paris to represent the US.  

I'm surprised no one mentioned the F-bomb Rosie dropped today.

I haven't seen the show yet, but can anyone provide details? Yahoo just loves to give those headlines and the there's no substance to the article. So was Rosie saying "Fuck YEAH!" to what that Natalie Glaser person was saying? What? What?

They were talking about George Clooney and how wonderful it was that he found love, etc. The guest co-host comedian said, "Well, until she ages then he'll find it again." <- not a direct quote but a joke along those lines.  Apparently it caught RO off-guard, she cracked up and said, "That was fuckin' funny!" while high-fiving the guest co-host. 

Waaaay too many people at the table today and by too many people I mostly mean Michelle Williams.  Plus, what good is she if she can't even spill some Beyonce dirt?   Go away.  

Nicolle and I have yet another thing in common:  The Golden Globes (and the Oscars) are huge events in my house too.   Like Nicolle, I watch wall to wall. 

All in all though, I liked the show today, despite Williams.  It seemed to go by fast.  I'll take a Whoopi free day anyday actually.  Sounds like she's on the mend which is good but I don't need her to hurry back.   By the way, she must have some damn good insurance (or more likely movie stah money) to be in the hospital for a week with a herniated disk.  Is that a common treatment? 

• Love 4

Probably not fair to criticize Obama on the topic of what breed of dog the family owns. I believe Sen. Kennedy gave the family the dog because he knew one of the girls has allergies to dog dander and Bo is a Portuguese Water Dog, a hypoallergenic breed.

I'm not criticizing the breed, though. I'm expressing a desire for people with the power to influence trends to obtain their pets from shelters and rescue organizations. We euthanize unwanted dogs by the millions annually and anything we can do to reverse that sad statistic, we should. Having said that, I love Bo to bits!

• Love 7

Nicolle and I have yet another thing in common:  The Golden Globes (and the Oscars) are huge events in my house too.   Like Nicolle, I watch wall to wall.

Me too.  I taped the NBC red carpet interviews & even extended the show by a half hour, just in case.  Glad I did because the show went over a few minutes.  I like the GG's the most because people get lubed up & some get really funny.  Ricky Gervais was really primed last night.

• Love 3

They were talking about George Clooney and how wonderful it was that he found love, etc. The guest co-host comedian said, "Well, until she ages then he'll find it again." <- not a direct quote but a joke along those lines.  Apparently it caught RO off-guard, she cracked up and said, "That was fuckin' funny!" while high-fiving the guest co-host. 

By the way, she must have some damn good insurance (or more likely movie stah money) to be in the hospital for a week with a herniated disk.  Is that a common treatment? 

Thanks Cosmo, I just saw it and see nothing controversial about Rosie saying that.

As for hospitalization for a herniated disk, I don't know if it's common, but I do know when it happened to my dad when I was a kid, he was in the hospital for what it seemed to me, a long time. I was Daddy's Little Girl, and I remember asking him when he would come home and I was in tears when I heard his voice on the phone.  This was in '78.  I don't know why I couldn't visit him, though.

I've never heard of this Michelle Williams and I wanted her to shut the FUCK up. No, it wasn't all the celebs going for a "dewy" look. They were all FUCKING SWEATING. I saw so many, using things to fan themselves, and the guy that was up there with John Legend? I missed his name? His head was glowing with sweat!

And sorry, I don't give a shit that George finally found twuuuuu wuv. Good for him; I don't want nor need to constantly hear about it ALL.THE.DAMN.TIME.

And I love Rosie. It's so great that she's cracking jokes, being funny and making me smile and laugh.

• Love 8

I get the feeling that RO's not enamored with Dr. Oz. Maybe she thinks he's gimmicky? Surgery may be the best option for some, but the benefits of eating healthier and exercising more shouldn't be discounted. Don't eat CRAP - carbonated beverages, refined sugar, artificial foods, processed foods and be more active.

• Love 6

Don't eat CRAP - carbonated beverages, refined sugar, artificial foods, processed foods and be more active.

Yeah, well (apologies for going off topic for a bit), but I need my carbonated Cherry 7-UP and Ginger Ale, because I'm going through chemo right now and for at least a week, those two drinks help with the nausea.  I eat healthy otherwise, protein and drink lots of water so I'm hydrated, but for the time being, I need my carbonation.

And sadly, due to the side effects from the chemo cocktail, I can't eat what I need to, for weeks at a time. So a Big GIANT PLTHPPPPPP to fucking Oz.

Ahem.

Rosie at least said that the surgery is a last resort option, if all other methods don't work, so it's not as if she's telling people to go to the nearest hospital to get surgery.

Boo. I really wanted to see Joy and Rosie together again. Maybe tomorrow? Wednesday?

• Love 14

Yeah, well (apologies for going off topic for a bit), but I need my carbonated Cherry 7-UP and Ginger Ale, because I'm going through chemo right now and for at least a week, those two drinks help with the nausea.  I eat healthy otherwise, protein and drink lots of water so I'm hydrated, but for the time being, I need my carbonation.

And sadly, due to the side effects from the chemo cocktail, I can't eat what I need to, for weeks at a time. So a Big GIANT PLTHPPPPPP to fucking Oz.

Wow -- THAT'S a real bummer!!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Do you live in a state where you can obtain medical marijuana?  I've heard it works for nausea.  Good luck to you!!

• Love 6

Wow -- THAT'S a real bummer!!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Do you live in a state where you can obtain medical marijuana?  I've heard it works for nausea.  Good luck to you!!

Thanks Medicine Crow. Unfortunately, no. But I've got the pills, and they help for the most part, but also, one of the side effects is losing my taste buds for about a week, so forcing myself to eat, food has the consistency of sawdust, so the sodas help.

And for once, Mario didn't annoy me. Weird. I'm blaming my drugs, heh.

• Love 10
By the way, she must have some damn good insurance (or more likely movie stah money) to be in the hospital for a week with a herniated disk.  Is that a common treatment?

No, it's not.  I had surgery for a herniated disk, and I was in the hospital for 24 hours. 

• Love 5

I get the feeling that RO's not enamored with Dr. Oz. Maybe she thinks he's gimmicky? Surgery may be the best option for some, but the benefits of eating healthier and exercising more shouldn't be discounted. Don't eat CRAP - carbonated beverages, refined sugar, artificial foods, processed foods and be more active.

Is it Oprah who unleashed Dr. Oz on us? She's responsible for a few really great discoveries like Rachael Ray, but too many quackadoodles also seem to lead directly back to her.

I second MC's best wishes to GHScorpios as well. Whatever works to keep your nausea at bay, my friend. Meanwhile, Dr. Oz can choke on a raspberry ketone pill from my hubby's stash for all I care. :)

Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 10

... one of the side effects is losing my taste buds for about a week, so forcing myself to eat, food has the consistency of sawdust ... 

GHScorpiosRule, that was my experience with chemo years ago.  Experimenting with different foods, I found that I could sort of taste pepperoni pizza, pineapple sherbet, & raspberry flavored carbonated water -- not an ideal diet, but it got me through.  Mindless TV shows like this one helped too, so easy to fall asleep in the middle of.

Best of luck to you -- hang in there & pamper yourself.

• Love 12

Is it Oprah who unleashed Dr. Oz on us? She's responsible for a few really great discoveries like Rachael Ray, but too many quackadoodles also seem to lead directly back to her.

Yep she did.  Dr. Shrill too.   But I was watching Rachel Ray long before Oprah "discovered" her.  She was a staple on The Food Network. 

GH, I'm sending good thoughts your way.  Chemo sucks.   I need carbonation to drink almost anything (I mostly drink flavored fizzy water, and the occasional 7-up) and I don't even have a medical reason. 

Lol, I noticed RO does like to mention her weight loss surgery (and heart attack) almost anytime weight loss comes up.  But you know what?  I've found that's not really uncommon among heart attack survivors and I honestly don't mind it.  Especially when I think about Sherri blathering on and on about her diet book that I question if she even read much less wrote.  My favorite part about the Dr. Oz segment though was RO telling Nicolle she's never been fat and Nicolle saying she's, "been on Weight Watchers my whole life".   Ha!  Another thing I could totally relate to with her.  Now, if I could just get her hair-styling/coloring tips....

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 9

I don't think Nicolle was pleased with M Williams getting in her face just now. Rude.

Yes - what the hell was that.  Whatever it was, it was rude and beyond annoying.

I settled in to enjoy the show today and did for the first part, then when Rosie said "we'll be right back..with Dr. Oz", I ran for the hills.  Fast.  I hated to miss the rest of the show but upon hearing that there was no.way I was going to stay.

In my opinion, there are way too many people at that table!  I agree with all who have said that (and many of us have).  I can't for the life of me understand the reasoning behind a fifth co-host.  In fact, I'm not interested in guest co-hosts at all.*  While two regular co-hosts are away, why not fill those two spaces with just one.  And when one regular co-host is away, why not just let that be, there's not enough time to hear from four, so let's hear from just the three.  But five up there?  No, thanks.**

A panel I'd like to see this week if Joy is there would be Rosie O, Nicolle, Joy and Mario.  There has been a little too much Mario lately (because there's just too much co-hosting going on) but I've always liked him and he and Joy are great together, and Rosie O would make it even better.

I'll take a Whoopi free day anyday actually.  Sounds like she's on the mend which is good but I don't need her to hurry back.

I totally agree.  But...I'm going to try to get this out, I make no promises...already having trouble here...did anyone else hear Rosie O say today that...Whoopi..will..be..back..next...w....    Okay I did try, but just.couldn't.get.it.out. 

* I laughed when I typed that because I was "saying" it the same was as Dorothy in The Wizard Of Oz "I'm not a witch at all".  lol.

** It's probably nice of The View to feature largely unknown comedians, but if it's exposure they're looking for, would this really be the right exposure?  I know any exposure at an early point in their career is considered good exposure, but since there's not much opportunity for them to speak, this could be a make or break thing for them.  If I knew I had true talent and other opportunities, I really think I'd pass on this one.  They featured a comedian last week, but she's already sort of "made it", I don't remember her name but I think she's on the show Brooklyn Nine Nine.  I got the show she was on from Letterman, not from the View.  I think the View needs some subtitles, lol, because between their cross talk, their low-speak (octaves in their voices) and their moving on quickly, we really don't get the names of all those relative unknowns.  I later saw her on Letterman and she totally bombed.  I thought she was very funny, but she really bombed, and he wasn't helping her much (jerk sometimes).  So did the guest right before her, and I was so glad he bombed - Donald Trump.  Dave was calling him "Don" (lol), and calling him on all of his crap

GHScorpiosRule all good vibes out to you - enjoy that fizzy Cherry 7-UP and Ginger Ale. Feel better.  And echoing 3pwood do pamper yourself.  Thanks also 3pwood for sharing that, hope you're doing well. 

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 8

Although I sooo prefer the show without Whoopi, I found today's show rather unsatisfying - I don't like Oz at all, and Lindsey Stirling got way too much screen time, especially since I don't think she does either skill particularly well, and combined, it was more of a hot mess than anything.  I had never heard of Natalie MacMaster until she was mentioned upthread, but from what I saw on Youtube, she is a very fine fiddler who adds some step dancing moves, but she (wisely) doesn't do the calisthenics Lindsey attempted to do.  Part of what RO does is to encourage young talent, so she tends to be gushy when it is on the show, but I think her enthusiasm was not warranted in this case.

Rosie did say her surgery was a last resort.  She mentions it when pertinent as if people don't watch the show on a regular basis, but to those of us who do, it sounds like a broken record.  I can't fault her on this though, as it takes a lot of willpower to turn your life around the way she has.

Rosie is great as the moderator - none of the awkward segues into commercials, and she just seems happy and comfortable.  I just hope the same mistakes aren't made with the view as were made when Ro had her show on OWN.  They kept trying to change things and never gave any format enough of a chance, plus I have a feeling it was a rough time for her personally.  NBC has been all concerned with ratings and losing out to The Talk, so they have been talking about more revamping.  I really hope they don't totally muck it up.

• Love 6

@GHScorpiosRule - healing vibes headed your way, and whatever it takes for you to get any type of nutrition, young lady!

@ChicagoCita - congratulations on your weight loss!  Keep up the excellent work!

@3pwood - thanks for the tips, should any of us need them in the future.  Glad to hear that you are doing better.

The show on Monday was just so-so for me, but for me as well, any show w/o Whoopi is better than the alternative.  Whoopi, I sort of think she may have had some surgical intervention, I can't fathom that she'd be hospitalized otherwise.  But I've no idea of how things work for the super-rich.  I just know my take - and that is if I don't feel well, or even if I've just had a baby - the sooner to the comfort of my own bed/home, the better!

I haven't really minded the five co-hosts, or I didn't think I did, but really - there is always one that barely asserts themselves so it doesn't really work and just adds to cross-talk where I'd rather it just be the regular co-hosts, unless it's someone that I have a sincere interest in.

Dr. Oz,  he's a shill and nothing he offered is any different than any of us can glean in ten minutes on the intertoobz, but that's generally applicable to all guests that are promoting diets for the most part.  I think Rosie just wants everyone to know that she feels her surgery is safe and has been very successful statistically so that anyone that is miserable and afraid or hasn't considered it as alternative have an option, and one that they should not be ashamed of taking advantage of.  I understood Nicolle, it's clear that she watches for that extra five and doubles down to keep her shape, can't fault her for that.  Would that all of us have that kind of determination!

The violin dancing gal, was that dance?  I kept thinking that she should go take some Irish Step classes to have it make more sense, happy to hear that the other artist that does this incorporates more of that.  It just makes sense!

• Love 7

I don't mind it because she uses it as a platform to educate.  I am fat* and about Rosie's age, and trust me, when she came on the show as a guest last season and talked about the signs of female heart attacks, I took notes and have passed it along whenever I can.  I learned more useful information from that one guest appearance than I did all last season in its entirety.  Rosie really is a compassionate person and I think she brings up her surgery and heart attack because she doesn't want someone to be in the same situation she was, if she can help them.

Wasn't the acronym RO used for heart attack symptoms HEPP - hot, exhausted, pain, pale and puke? That's a good one to know. And as far as the C in CRAP, I didn't mean to imply that one should never drink carbonated drinks. Ginger ale is my go to when I or family members are feeling nauseous . It's just that many people seem to think they're doing well if they limit carbonated beverages to the diet ones, and that's not necessarily the case.

• Love 5

It was kinda funny....... I cracked up when the guest who was in the show said... I have never seen this show.

Let me go on record by saying I HATE the stupid games they make the guests play on talk shows, BUT I really enjoyed Rosie's enthusiasm (& knowledge) in the game this morning.  I chuckled, so THAT says something.  LOL.

• Love 5