Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers With Speculation

SueB
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Bitter Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

I can't help but think Rowena trying to fix him happens early to midway in the episode and it doesn't quite work the way she expected, given the comments by Dabb that Dean starts to forget things over time. I mean I hate to think the end is in the promo pic but then again this is the CW promo dept ...

So I decided to look more closely at those promo pics and the teaser and this went by so quickly I barely noticed it. 

Dean's face here, where I've tried to mark the video, is so NOT okay.  He looks utterly lost and terrified. 

• Love 2

What's with the movie obsession this seasons? It seems like so many of the episodes are just re-dos of various movies. First Blood, Kill Bill, Regarding Henry...

Regarding Henry was fine, but wasn't it just a kind of extrapolation on Flowers for Algernon anyway? And I dunno, that basic story is always so depressing.

Why not do remakes of Of Mice and Men and Death of a Salesman and basically all of Tennessee Williams while they're at it. Let's have a whole series of remakes of depressing, somewhat maudlin stories. Hey maybe we can move onto the Russian masters next, and get a few more suicide attempts and descents into insanity into the show as well.

We could have a whole season devoted to remaking The Master and Margarita, which would open up a whole lot of opportunities for yet more Lucifer-centric stories. Oh yay.

Eh don't mind me. SPN has always been remarkably good at making stories that by all rights should be "maudlin and derivative" into more of a "touching homage." And to be honest, I think Regarding Dean is pretty likely to be good, too. But I'm dreading it because I'm also worried that it's going to be a huge downer.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, rue721 said:

But I'm dreading it because I'm also worried that it's going to be a huge downer.

I'm hoping they can pull off the combination of humor and drama.  The show has been good at doing that in the past, and I trust that Jensen will be up to the task, but I don't have a lot of confidence in the writers or show runners this season.  Too many poorly written episodes, with too little attention to detail or canon.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I'm hoping they can pull off the combination of humor and drama.  The show has been good at doing that in the past,

1 hour ago, rue721 said:

SPN has always been remarkably good at making stories that by all rights should be "maudlin and derivative" into more of a "touching homage." And to be honest, I think Regarding Dean is pretty likely to be good, too.

True. If I think about it one of my favorite episodes of this show, "Mystery Spot," did this even though that episode likely marked Sam's character being scarred for life, and the subject matter should've been entirely maudlin... yet somehow they pulled off the humor and had one of the most touching endings - that hug Sam gives Dean - anyway and without the episode - somehow - ending up entirely dark and depressing. Actually "A Very Supernatural Christmas" probably is very similar in that regard as well.

So I'm hoping this episode can pull that kind of thing off also.

• Love 4
On 2/3/2017 at 2:36 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I've not been so looking forward to an episode in forever. Even Rowena, who I normally loathe, made me smile with her 'Do we have to fix him?'

I have a feeling Jensen is going to kill me dead with this one.

I'm both looking forward to this episode because it's the first legitimately Deancentric episode in so long I can't even, and Jensen deserves some material to work with; but at the same time I'm worried because the show is more likely to disappoint on a weekly basis than deliver. The writing simply isn't there anymore, and the showrunning really isn't there.

But Jensen is there, and I know his MO is to rise above the material. Plus, Jensen has been very positive about this episode and excited to have something to play with.

As for Rowena, I like her more than a lot of fans do, I guess, so I'm looking forward to seeing her role in this storyline. And Ruth loves looking into Jensen's green eyes, so I've gotta give the lady props for that!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PAForrest said:

But Jensen is there, and I know his MO is to rise above the material. Plus, Jensen has been very positive about this episode and excited to have something to play with.

Yeah, I'm telling myself to just try and stay grounded, but I can't help it and for the very same reasons, I'm finding myself looking forward to this one also. I might even watch it live if the preview isn't too much of a turn-off. *fingers crossed*

• Love 1
17 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

True. If I think about it one of my favorite episodes of this show, "Mystery Spot," did this even though that episode likely marked Sam's character being scarred for life, and the subject matter should've been entirely maudlin... yet somehow they pulled off the humor and had one of the most touching endings - that hug Sam gives Dean - anyway and without the episode - somehow - ending up entirely dark and depressing. Actually "A Very Supernatural Christmas" probably is very similar in that regard as well.

So I'm hoping this episode can pull that kind of thing off also.

emphasis mine -- SO TRUE, I may have to ask about the J2 perspective regarding that at DCCon

So the writer for "Regarding Dean" is Meredith Glynn, who did the Hitler episode. John Badham, who has many GREAT SPN eps, is the director.  Honestly, I blame the premise for the Hitler episode on Dabb but the dialog was really very well done.  So, I'm hopeful.  And Badham does a good job IMO.   

I love Badham. I think he's the best director they've got and I'm really looking forward to Regarding Dean, but I'm trying to manage my expectations. I just don't believe the show is as good at combining humor and drama as it used to be. I'll be more than happy to be disproven of this notion. 

• Love 1

I'm both looking forward to this episode because it's the first legitimately Deancentric episode in so long I can't even, and Jensen deserves some material to work with; but at the same time I'm worried because the show is more likely to disappoint on a weekly basis than deliver. 

I`m trying to keep my expectations very low. I like the writer so far and maybe she can avoid the pitfalls but usually I find this show`s attempts of humour, with Dean at least, to be quite mean-spirited and humiliating. And that is exactly the kind of "humour" I don`t care for. At least if you don`t present a balance between tearing down and building up. And unfortunately, Jensen and I do part ways when it comes to the humour on the show.    

The promo looked okay and the promo pics as always don`t tell too much so it`s hard to get a good reading on the episode. 

• Love 1

I'm trying to keep my expectations low as well, but its hard because its been so long since Jensen has had more than a scene or two to really sink his teeth into.  I enjoy episodes where he really gets to show his range. 

I wish they were doing this over a multi-episode arc because it would allow them to take their time and really give Jensen something to play with.  42 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to really do the concept justice.  They have 42 minutes to tell the story.  With the clearly reduced work hours for JA and JP and the sub plot of Sam working with Rowena there is probably about 20 minutes in which they have to tell Dean's side of things.

My biggest worries is how Dean gets infected in the first place.  This is also the writer who wrote Dean bumbling around the antique shop (the boat thing went way to long) and touching potentially curses objects.  Plus, i hope they avoid the temptation to make it 15 minutes of laughing at Dean and cramming dramatic part into the last 5 minutes.

• Love 1

Something that feels really off is that Mary is not in this episode. They have an ep where Dean reverts back to a more child-like state but such a story sees no need for Mary. But hey, the week after she is right back with a case where she is lying to them about the BMOL involvement. Do the writers WANT to keep her in a cold fish outsider role? She is their mother, not just some hunter ally. There can be a healthy middle ground between giving her her own character exploration and just making her "mommy".

Why did they bring her mother back if they had no interest in exploring the mother aspect of the character as well? John certainly had his own character but they still played with the aspect of him being their father. They also have no problem giving them pseudo-parents. Bobby anyone? Or Jody right now. And yet Mary could sooner be Mary Random than Mary Winchester for what they did with her so far.

My biggest worries is how Dean gets infected in the first place.

You can kinda already see it in the promo but the larger context is missing. Some guy - witch? - is on the ground and throws a spell at Dean. How, why? We`ll see. Like you, I hope it isn`t either "haha, bumbling incompetence" or "see, got it coming". Blergh to both.

And I join you in the hopes of not laughing at the character. Yellow Fever was for the most part painfully unfunny to me and I fear it`s just more of that "look at the funny loser" stuff. Double blergh. I wouldn`t be so bad if the character otherwise got to be a more consistent badass but I get too few of those moments to balance it out overall. 

The picture with the mechanical bull riding already straddles the fence for me. That is about what I can take.  

• Love 2

So now we're back to the Pellegrino Lucifer?? I can't think of another show that had so many different actors playing the same character.

Can you tell I'm tired of Lucifer still being part of the story?!

• Love 2

I just can't fathom how they can make it work. Nickifer was disintegrating. Samifer jumped into the pit, not Nickifer. Of course, I can see them writing something the Lucifer just longed for Nick so he saved him. Or that somehow something Cas did by killing Billie causes Nick to be alive or some other nonsense.  LOL

Or maybe it's flashbacks or Halluciferations

14 minutes ago, auntvi said:

Can you tell I'm tired of Lucifer still being part of the story?!

You're not alone...believe me!  For a brief moment during the summer, I thought it might be interesting to have Lucifer jumping from vessel to vessel, but that was before I realized that he was going to be the focal point of this season.  Now, I just want him locked away...permanently!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

I'm trying to keep my expectations low as well, but its hard because its been so long since Jensen has had more than a scene or two to really sink his teeth into.  I enjoy episodes where he really gets to show his range. 

I wish they were doing this over a multi-episode arc because it would allow them to take their time and really give Jensen something to play with.  42 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to really do the concept justice.  They have 42 minutes to tell the story.  With the clearly reduced work hours for JA and JP and the sub plot of Sam working with Rowena there is probably about 20 minutes in which they have to tell Dean's side of things.

My biggest worries is how Dean gets infected in the first place.  This is also the writer who wrote Dean bumbling around the antique shop (the boat thing went way to long) and touching potentially curses objects.  Plus, i hope they avoid the temptation to make it 15 minutes of laughing at Dean and cramming dramatic part into the last 5 minutes.

I'm guessing that's Jensen.  He loves to add those touches.  

7 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I just can't fathom how they can make it work. Nickifer was disintegrating. Samifer jumped into the pit, not Nickifer. Of course, I can see them writing something the Lucifer just longed for Nick so he saved him. Or that somehow something Cas did by killing Billie causes Nick to be alive or some other nonsense.  LOL

Or maybe it's flashbacks or Halluciferations

Flashbacks, Halluciferations, or inside Hell and appearing in a form he finds comfortable.  Nick the meatsuit has been rotting in some grave for 7 years.  

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, SueB said:

Flashbacks, Halluciferations, or inside Hell and appearing in a form he finds comfortable.  Nick the meatsuit has been rotting in some grave for 7 years.  

I'm not sure Nick's even in a grave. Last time we saw him was in a Detroit hovel before he took Sam as his vessel. I figured they left his rotting corpse there and no one ever found it. I'm gonna go out on a limb  that Lucifer was never put back in Hell at all by the Magical Egg and instead he made his way back to Detroit get Nick. I would actually give them props if they pulled that off LOL

14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I figured they left his rotting corpse there and no one ever found it.

Or they did find it and cremated the remains and/or buried them in a Potter's graveyard? In any case, from Adam, we know the remains can be resurrected, so all Lucifer would have to do would be to find them and "bring them back to life" with or without Nick's soul.

So yes, good point. The door is open for Lucifer to find his Nick suit.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Demented Daisy said:

Not sure this is a spoiler, but just in case....

I assume this means that his fears this season would be the first without Bobby were unfounded and he's going there to film an episode. Or Is Jim Beaver involved in some other show based in Vancouver? 

10 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb  that Lucifer was never put back in Hell at all by the Magical Egg and instead he made his way back to Detroit get Nick. I would actually give them props if they pulled that off LOL

I rewatched the last part of that episode recently, and I could have sworn I saw Lucifer's light go down the vent, not just into the egg - if into the egg at all.  So, yeah, I'm not totally sold on the idea of Deviled Egg (hee hee!) at all.  

• Love 2

I don't think Lucifer's grace went I to the Magic Egg but was supposed to extract it and redirect it to Hell but I never thought the way to Hell or the Cage was through a vent. I do know demon smoke traveled through vents like back in Phantom  Traveler,  but every time a demon  was sent to Hell it burned through the floor.  And every time an angel was either smited, banished  or exorcised back to heaven like Alastair did to Cas in S4, the grace disappated into the ether.

Of course, I can see the writers going with that the Magic egg plus Rowena's spell was meant to send it to the Cage / Hellhrough a heating vent. ??sure.  LOL

If it turns out that IS how the writers really did choose to dispatch Lucifer for real, what a stupid uninteresting way to do it. Honestly, I don't want to some gadget from the BMoL to actually work on the Devil himself. I don't want the boys to be wrong but I don't want the BMoL to be right either.

• Love 1

They used Pellegrino when they talked to Lucifer in the "waiting" cage. That didn`t make much sense either but you could fanwank that he could just assume or project whatever form he wants in there. Going by interviews, it seems Lucifer is actually back in the cage but maybe they are dumb enough to talk to him in there again. In which case, at least it would be consistent to use Pellegrino again.

I doubt it`s gonna be a genuine vessel. If they wanted that, they could have gone for it at the start of the Season.   

Oh, I forgot about the spoilers about Lucifer actually being back in the cage.  Well, dang.  If that's actually true, and the writers don't pull something over on us, then as you said, Pellegrino makes sense.  And I really, really, hope they aren't stupid enough to try to talk to him in the cage again.  Maybe it's Mary, or Lady DumbasaboxofhairforshootingSam who tries to talk to him?

11 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

How I'd love to have Bobby back instead of Lucifer...if only that were possible.  

I'd take John, Benny, Michael (Matt Cohen version) over Bobby.  (yes I know it's heresy but I grew to greatly dislike Bobby in s4). I don't mind Lucifer IF it's going to be related to Sam and Dean again and not some stupid redemption arc for the devil.

But thinking about the spoilers, didn't Dabb say that we would go to something way back in Lucifer's history? I swear I read that in one of the interviews.

As far as I remember he said that even when Lucifer was in the cage - the first time - he was still scheming and influencing things. Probably to set the stage for the character re-appearing now in whatever form. And that he would now be focused on his offspring. I don`t think Lucifer has any aspirations whatsoever anymore on the Winchesters, or rather Sam, he never really gave a crap about Dean, other than them not infering with his plans. I`m fine with that. That neutered Michael and dumped any connection Dean had with him 20 000 leagues under the sea, Lucifer still being around already rankles on that account but at least it isn`t all about Sam anymore either. Now, no brother truly has archangel ties.     

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Despite not having watched the ep yet, I know JB was in last night's Timeless.  Maybe going back for some more scenes there?

Only 2 more episodes of Timeless, which have already filmed.

Could be a misdirect.  It doesn't look like he's filming anything currently.  I can't find anything, anyway.

Welp, that clip does nothing for me. Seems to imply that Dean apparently flirted/hooked up with someone half his age and he doesn't remember.  Swell.

So is this spell going to undo 12 seasons of character growth?

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Seems to imply that Dean apparently flirted/hooked up with someone half his age and he doesn't remember.  Swell.

While I thought the clip was boring, I have no problem with a potential hook-up. She looks early to mid-twenties and it`s not like he looks 60 or anything. He is a hot dude, I`d have hit that with 20, too. As well as now. I don`t see anything terrible with it but I guess it was just flirting possibly. And he forgot obviously because of the spell. It`s not as if he is sleazy.     

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

While I thought the clip was boring, I have no problem with a potential hook-up. She looks early to mid-twenties and it`s not like he looks 60 or anything. He is a hot dude, I`d have hit that with 20, too. As well as now. I don`t see anything terrible with it but I guess it was just flirting possibly. And he forgot obviously because of the spell. It`s not as if he is sleazy.     

Obviously, the spell is why he forgot who she is which I thought my post acknowledged. I never said Dean was sleazy nor that Dean hooking up is sleazy. I think my posts about Dean show that I have no issues with Dean's sexual dalliances in general. I didn't think she looked even 25 but it's not the age difference per se, it's more that Dean has not been shown to be trying to hook up with women that much younger than him. His last attempt was with the hooker on notTinder and she was close to his age. But maybe I'm just so old now that I can't tell ages of people under 30.

ETA: Thinking more on this clip,

I guess I'm not comfortable with what on the surface it seems like this episode is communicating about Dean. It's on the surface and at first glance, taking him back to a s1 or s3 persona and I hope they aren't going to put across a message that this is who Dean is and who he will always be when he doesn't have his memory.  If they use this to explore that Dean's life has been kind of shit and every now and then he cuts loose fine.  I guess I kind of don't get yet how this is going to help Dean in the end as Dabb seemed to imply in his comments about the episode.

Hopefully, I'm worrying for nothing.

• Love 1

I didn't think she looked even 25 but it's not the age difference per se, it's more that Dean has not been shown to be trying to hook up with women that much younger than him.

I wouldn`t actually mind if he did, spell or not. If it`s two consenting adults, I don`t care much about the age difference and I wouldn`t say it implies something negative about the character. Depending on how the woman acts of course. There are mature twenty year olds and totally ditzes. It also could very well be that she was the one to start flirting in their initial encounter.

I have been quite dismayed how in recent years the show tried to imply that Dean is somehow old`, has a "dad bod" and all that stuff that implies he can`t attract women anymore. The other CW shows that have "older" but still insanely attractive man never pull that crap. It is acknowledged that they are hot and get women. So if a woman notices Dean again, hallelujah.

I guess I kind of don't get yet how this is going to help Dean in the end as Dabb seemed to imply in his comments about the episode.

Did he say that? I thought the episode would basically just be a comedy filler with some drama moments. Personally, I`m very wary of any "lesson" episodes, they never turn out well for Dean. Let alone that they say something positive about the character these days. So if they just stay away from that, I`d prefer it. 

• Love 2