Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Biscuits

• Start Topic

Chewy or Crispy?

You can discuss the Extra Slice episode when it airs here too.

One week down. Having survived cakes, the remaining 11 bakers are tested on biscuits.

Serving up signature savoury biscuits, the bakers must push themselves on flavour to create biscuits that go well with a cheese course, and Sue learns the dirty secret behind the invention of the ice cream cone and the start of the UK ice cream industry.

In the technical challenge Mary sets the bakers her recipe for florentines. With their chewy caramel sauce and lacy brandy snap texture covered in tempered chocolate, the bakers must follow Mary's basic instructions, adding up to a more exacting bake than expected.

And finally a showstopper like no other - in the most ambitious biscuit challenge to date, the bakers are challenged to create three-dimensional biscuit scenes. They can make any scene they like as long as it is made entirely from biscuits and doesn't fall over... easier said than done in the Bake Off tent. The bakers are really put under scrutiny as the biscuits must taste as good as they look, as the judges make their decision about who will leave the Bake Off tent.

No squirrels, but two little lambs!

I never know what to expect during biscuit week since the word "biscuit" seems to encompass so many things in the UK. When Mary started talking about how the digestive biscuits should have a nice crumble while the water biscuits should be firm with a snap. I cracked up when Paul said it's different when you make three or four biscuits for a dinner party versus the thirty six biscuits the bakers were asked to make. I never bust out dough to make only three or four of anything.

Hahaha, why am I not surprised that Jordan works in IT? I giggled every time I saw that lime green barrette in this hair. His sourdough, parmesan, and chili biscuits sounded weird. I love Mexican food too, but something about the chilis was off putting. Maybe I would think differently if I tasted them.

Nancy's fennel and rye biscuits sounded interesting but I was cracking up over her telling the judges/hosts that she wasn't sure how much fennel to use because when she tried it at home, she had old out of date fennel. Loved the biscuit iron maiden she commissioned from her husband. It worked really well though - hers did look great.

Iain's za'atar and fig biscuits sounded weird. They bend AND snap like Legally Blonde?

Seeing Enwezor at home with one kid clinging to each leg was adorable. His pumpkin and sunflower biscuits sounded interesting but I wasn't sure if he was using pumpkin pulp or pumpkin seeds. He sure loves that cookie cutter! I'm not sure why Paul was busting his balls about that when most of the bakers used cutters for this challenge too.

Kate's parmesan and apple biscuits seemed like a weird combination but the apple slices on top looked very pretty. Despite her decision to use very thin apple slices to prevent extra moisture from getting into the biscuits, Mary said they were too soft. Maybe she needed to add the apple slices halfway through the baking process?

Luis' olive, paprika, and rosemary biscuits sounded good but he won me over with the caramelized onion glaze. Mmmm.

I was neutral about Chetna's fenugreek and carom crackers, mostly because I don't know what carom tastes like. Google told me that it tastes similar to thyme so maybe I would like it as long as there wasn't too much fenugreek.

Diana's parmesan and chive pastry triangles sounded yummy, but the pastry seemed very un-biscuit like. She is always so cheery no matter what happens. When she said that her biscuits were baking too quickly, she just said at least they didn't have soggy bottoms.

Norman was indeed brave not to add anything to his dough, but flour, butter, and lard sounds pretty good. Hee, I loved that he was teching the other bakers semaphore the night before, but I was freaked out when he showed his arm couldn't straighten because he broke it. His biscuits looked beautiful with the concentric circles of pinpricks. Ha, loved that his wife said those biscuits wouldn't be good enough.

Loved the history lesson on gelato ice cream cones. I love watching them being made at Coldstone and Baskin Robbins. I was horrified by the pennylick. No wonder those things were banned! Here in the United States, ew have hairnets in cleanrooms so I loved the white hats they were wearing during the ice cream demo. My solution to the hole in the bottom problem was sticking a marshmallow at the bottom of the cone. But for some reason, I always preferred plain cones while my sister was the one who loved sugar cones. I liked the grid of rectangles at the bottom of the plain cones.

I would have liked the florentines more without the cranberries. Mary never explained how to get the zig zag pattern in the chocolate coating. Usually they go into more detail about how to make the technical bake perfect.

Martha's caramelised onion and goat cheese sandwich biscuits sounded delicious! I have already admitted my weakness for caramelized onions though. She really gave herself a challenge since she had to make twice as many biscuits in order to make the sandwiches. I hope there was nothing dangerous in the dough since her dog ate them. Sneaky dogs!

Richard's rosemary poppyseed crackers sounded good. I loved the host teasing him about the pencil behind his ear in case someone needed a quote.

Iain's wild west/cowboy showstopper was cute. Loved that he used green for the cactus. Diana's train looked a bit rudimentary in the shapes but the tuile smokestacks and the pinwheel cookie wheels looked great. Richard's pirates and ships were so fun. Loved that one of the pirates had the requisite red and white striped shirt. The faces were not great, but I'm willing to overlook that because my artistic skills are about on par with a four year old's. Jordan's monster display looked messy but it really suited his personality. And Paul said everything tasted good! I want to eat some custard biscuits! Chetna's beach scene was the opposite of Jordan's - it looked great but didn't taste very good.

Nancy's Hansel & Gretel was a bit sparse for my taste (too many trees) but at least she baked several different kinds of biscuits. Kate's tea time had a lot of work put into it (those tiny cakes! the dog!) but it looked kind of plain compared to the others. I liked that she used a lot of color to ice the people though. She made up for her lack of apple flavor earlier with all the lime flavor here. I understand why Paul had an issue with Enzewor's rocketship being a pile of cookies, but all I remembered them saying was that the bakers had to make 3D displays, not that they had to have walls. Paul seemed peeved that he didn't make his own fondant either, but I'm guessing that no rules were broken or they wouldn't have allowed the premade fondant to be used.

Luis' dragon display was by far my favorite. He had bold shapes and bold colors. I loved that instead of just making flat horses, he made the ears 3D. I also loved that he made the dragon biscuits spicy. Norman's boats were too plain. He should have had different shapes or at least made each color a different flavor. Martha's ski village looked like a run of the mill gingerbread house, but I liked that she had flavors that you would find at a ski lodge like hot chocolate and mulled wine.

Not surprised that Richard was star baker. He did really well this week. Also not surprised that Enzowar was eliminated. Mary and Paul didn't like anything he did this week.

Jordan's green pants/orange shoe combination cracked me up every time I saw it. Can I call him Mr. Green Jeans now?

• Love 6

Richard did well in all three challenges. It's always easy to spot the front runners at this stage and who is clearly struggling a lot more. 

I'm glad Iain pulled it back, but he only got saved by his Showstopper. I still like Norm. He's adorable. Shame about Enwezor; he had a lot of potential with his background.

I'm not a fan of the beige aprons. 

Sue's ice cream cone segment was cute. I don't always watch the history bits, but I try to make an effort since they can be fun. 

• Love 1

I didn't expect Enzowar to go. I was really ready for Jordan to be out of there. His teeth bother me. Yes, I am that shallow but he's constantly frazzled. To continue my shallowness, I was so happy Iain pulled it together with his showstopper. I need that ginger bearded Wilding to hang out around for a few more weeks.

Richard and Luis really pulled it off this week. Well done to them! Both of their show stoppers were beautiful to look at. 

I'm fully expecting Mr. Simply Flavors (can't remember his name) to go soon. He needs to get creative with his flavors, that's part of the fun of baking!

I refuse to have a favorite this time because every single time they lose. I can't take a 5th season of heartbreak.

Any idea what's the theme for next week?

Edited by BuddhaBelly
  • Love 2

Bread!

Sad to see Enwezor go but I'm glad he kept his sense of humor on what I thought was a tough aftershow. That fondant must really be pretty bad - guest panelist (and usually so intimidating) Monica Galetti was all smiles and tried to be super supportive but couldn't help but be brutally honest about the awful icing on the redone rocket. And then Jo just tossed his creation away. It was funny, though, that Enwezor explained the reason he didn't use yellow icing for the crispier redo is because he just used whatever he had around the house.

Those darn editors - it was helpful to hear Enwezor mention on Extraslice that there were open packets of fondant all over his workstation so he couldn't lie to Mary about making his own. And on Twitter he states he was really dinged for his underbaked cookies during the Showstopper round, not the store-bought icing, which is allowed and was used by three other bakers. 

I continue to find it a bit jarring that the after-show isn't live and broadcast immediately after GBBO - especially now that I hear it's taped on Sundays before its accompanying episode is shown. Maybe I'm just used to how U.S. cable networks handle their dramas.

Edited to add:

Mary and Paul didn't like anything he did this week.

I can't remember...did they not like his signature bake? The BBC has been promoting the recipe for it.

Edited by halopub
  • Love 1
I didn't expect Enzowar to go.

I wasn't surprised Enzowar was eliminated. Paul and Mary said he and Diana were in the bottom after the technical challenge. Then Mary, in the TH after the showstopper challenge started, said all the components were to be home made. When they stopped by Enzowar's station and he said he didn't make the fondant, the shot of Mary' reaction to the answer said it all. The nail in the coffin was when Paul showed how wrong the texture of the cookies were during the presentation.

Any idea what's the theme for next week?

Next week is Bread week.

ETA: The shots of the ducks didn't do anything for me.

Edited by RealityCheck
  • Love 1

I caught up to both Extra Slice episodes. It took awhile, but once they got to talking about the GBBO shows, it was fun. Monica Galetti looked good and laughed a lot in this episode's Slice. I enjoy Jo's hosting style and the laughs aspect. I think I'll keep watching them. 

Enzowar seems like a nice guy but his use of shop-bought fondant could have been justified if his bake was complex enough to warrant it, but it really wasn't. He only made one type of biscuit and they were under baked at that. The judges made the right decision again this week.

Jordan's time seems to be running out. His signature biscuits were over baked and his technical challenge was average, although his showstopper this week was oddly charming if lacking finesse. Norman didn't have a great week, it seems like his brave choice in the first round saw him through. I don't think we'll be seeing much more of Iain the Wildling, but I'd like to see him stick around for personal reasons. Diana also had a shaky week. Her bakes thus far have been steady, yet unremarkable.

Richard the Builder deserved star baker although Luis was not far behind. Both of their designs in the showstopper were excellent, even if I'm not much of a fan of these construction rounds. Martha is lovely and very talented, and I do hope she avoids the rather vicious backlash Ruby saw last year.

Nancy remains my favourite. 

• Love 3

I have to ask... those of you seeing this on PBS... are the many edit points where they had to take out people saying the phrase "bake off" really obvious, or not?

(the judges and the contestants ALL used the phrase in talking heads, and the hosts in both voiceovers and when giving instructions or cracking jokes to the contestants)

Lovely show! I like watching Richard turn pink when they complement his biscuits but I was rooting for the George & Dragon. What was the terrible backlash against Ruby, last year? I like Martha!

• Love 1

Why did they keep tasting biscuits from the scenes, didn't they have separate biscuits for the tasting?

I was really ready for Jordan to be out of there. His teeth bother me. 

A majority of the people on the show have teeth that bother me.

I have to ask... those of you seeing this on PBS... are the many edit points where they had to take out people saying the phrase "bake off" really obvious, or not?

(the judges and the contestants ALL used the phrase in talking heads, and the hosts in both voiceovers and when giving instructions or cracking jokes to the contestants)

I guess not, because until I read your question it never occurred to me that they must be doing that. 

Lovely show! I like watching Richard turn pink when they complement his biscuits but I was rooting for the George & Dragon. What was the terrible backlash against Ruby, last year? I like Martha!

Season 4 Ruby was the youngest contestant in that group. She was not a favourite of many viewers and did receive some social media back lash. She now has a plummy gig writing for the Guardian and did describe how uncomfortable it was for.

I was not a fan of Ruby, but it wasn't only because she was young. Martha is far lovelier personality wise.

Why did they keep tasting biscuits from the scenes, didn't they have separate biscuits for the tasting?

The challenge was that the scenes would be interesting/creative and edible. Also, homemade as Mary said which is why Enwezor was eliminated. All the show's challenge results can and should be able to be eaten. It demonstrates their skills and it's a waste of food for them not to eat it to be honest. They actually have quite high production values for this show because of the food used.

To be honest, I like the look of gingerbread houses, but I want to eat them too. I'm not crazy about food being made exclusively for decor.

• Love 1

First of all, I love the scenes of the farm. They don't add anything as far as baking goes, but that farm gives a nice feel of serenity and calm to the whole.  I was very impressed by those 3-D scenes.  I thought Martha was quite clever in her choice of dough flavor that related to her snow scene, but it was hard to compete with the engineering skills of Richard and Luis.  I could tell by Mary Berry's face that she wasn't happy with Enwezor's purchased fondue (wasn't that against the initial rule they set out?) and his rocket seemed singularly uninspired compared to other things he had baked.  Best of all is how kind they are to each other.  We get so used to snark and meanness that it is almost a surprise when people can be civilized and polite. Good show.  The only problem is I get an attack of the munchies when I'm watching it.

I appreciate how friendly the contestants are with each other.  There's no "I'm not here to make friends!" attitude coming from any of them.

Clearly they are given the theme and sent home to spend the week coming up with ideas.  Hence the many patterns and examples of people doing trial runs at home.

Did Martha make the marshmallows from scratch that she used to cover the base of her design?  If not, why isn't that as horrible as Enwezor using store bought fondant?

This after show that many of you are talking about isn't shown on my stations.

• Love 3

I appreciate how friendly the contestants are with each other.  There's no "I'm not here to make friends!" attitude coming from any of them.

Clearly they are given the theme and sent home to spend the week coming up with ideas.  Hence the many patterns and examples of people doing trial runs at home.

Did Martha make the marshmallows from scratch that she used to cover the base of her design?  If not, why isn't that as horrible as Enwezor using store bought fondant?

This after show that many of you are talking about isn't shown on my stations.

The "not here for friends" attitude is very much an American TV food competition thing. Most UK food shows (especially this one) doesn't have that as much. I've found Australian food shows like that as well. It's always a breath of fresh air after I watch a bit Masterchef US and switch over to GBBO or Masterchef UK. On this show, it's actually very clear that the contestants make friendships and adore each other.

They know the themes and the challenges (except the Technical obviously) before the show even begins taping. They also give their recipes to the producers well in advance so that the ingredients and equipment can be secure. 

Not sure if Martha made her marshmallows, but fondant is easy to make when you're experienced baker like these people claim to be. It won't take as much time or work as homemade marshmallows. You can also make marshmallow fondant. The homemade rule is probably not as iron-clad, but they take away points when people are being lazy/take an easy way out. This is a competition after all.

The Extra Slice is a half hour talk show about GBBO. Yes, this show is that popular in the UK that they have a talk show about it. It's not available in the US yet.

• Love 2

Yes, I appreciated that they didn't pretend that these folks pulled their ideas out of their heads on the fly.  They were told what they were going to be doing and then had time not just to brainstorm but also to build their own tools!

I just about rolled my eyes out of my head when the American version let us infer that the contestants magically knew how to make macarons from scratch without a recipe.

• Love 2

I am loving this show. But being from southeast Texas I had to adjust my thoughts when they said biscuits. To me tho those look like crackers or crispy cookies. Still amazed by the talent if the 17 year old girl. At 44 I don't have even a smidge of her baking skills.

• Love 1

Having lived both sides of the pond, I think Wikipedia summarises it well:

• In Commonwealth English and Hiberno-English, a biscuit is a small baked product that would be called either a "cookie" or a "cracker" in the United States and sometimes a "cookie" in English-speaking Canada.[2] Biscuits in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man and Ireland may be savoury or sweet, such as chocolate biscuits, digestives, hobnobs, ginger nuts, rich tea, bourbons and custard creams. In the Commonwealth Nations and Ireland, the term "cookie" typically refers to only one type of biscuit (chocolate chip cookie), however it may also locally refer to specific types of biscuits or breads.[3]
  • In the United States and some parts of English Canada, a "biscuit" is a savoury quick bread, somewhat similar to a scone, though sugar is not used in the dough. Leavening is achieved through the use of baking powder or when using buttermilk baking soda. Biscuits are usually referred to as either "baking powder biscuits"[4] or "buttermilk biscuits" if buttermilk is used rather than milk as a liquid. A Southern regional variation using the term "beaten biscuit" (or in New England "sea biscuit") is closer to hardtack than soft dough biscuits.[5]

There are savoury scones though, but I tend to use biscuit in North America for certain products such as the side dish to a savoury meal or on top of a savoury dish, etc.

• Love 1

Martha is the youngest of the group (here's a handy list:  http://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/bakers/series-5/) and I agree about her baking skills.  I will be happy to be corrected on this, but I think biscuits in the U.K. are what someone in the U.S. would call cookies (sweet) or crackers (more savory).  I've heard some people say what we call a biscuit in the U.S. would be called a scone in the U.K. but that doesn't seem right to me since we also have scones and they are very different from what we call biscuits.

Yes you are quite correct re biscuits here in the UK but having visited the US, I can confirm that your biscuits (whilst lovely) are nothing like UK scones.

Couldn't they have had just one annoying host rather than two?

This is the thrid different show I've seen featuring Sue Perkins and I still don't get her. 

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 1

I don't think in any show that it is necessary that the people make friends, but I do appreciate them treating each other with respect and acknowledging when one of them does well (as well as being sympathetic when they don't).   I've quit watching some shows (and stopped following some forums) because the nastiness gets to a level of bullying, and there's too much of that as there is.  You can be competitive and/or have a strong opinion without being hostile. 

I like this too...we know the contestants had a chance to try a recipe and the contestants seem pretty honest about how much they practiced. The person I want to meet is Nancy's husband--isn't he the one that has created tools for her?--handy fellow to have around.  As I recall (and I could be wrong about this) Norman's first batch of biscuits also had beautifully even holes in the tops but they didn't show how he achieved them. Sadly no matter how much practice I had, I don't think I could turn out the lovely baked goods these people are.  But I can watch and admire.

Yes!  MasterChef USA could take more than a few notes from this show.  

I also wanted to know how Norman made those even holes in his biscuits.  They all do lovely work.  That final challenge was tough considering they were being judged on both their construction skills plus flavor.  It seems they choose contestants based more on skill rather than personality (and potential for drama) like far too many other shows. 

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 3

Yes!  MasterChef USA could take more than a few notes from this show.  

I also wanted to know how Norman made those even holes in his biscuits.  They all do lovely work.  That final challenge was tough considering they were being judged on both their construction skills plus flavor.  It seems they choose contestants based more on skill rather than personality (and potential for drama) far too many other shows. 

BIB: Yes, they do. They have to pass test baking rounds before being chosen for the show.

• Love 1

Yes you are quite correct re biscuits here in the UK but having visited the US, I can confirm that your biscuits (whilst lovely) are nothing like UK scones.

One day, for some reason, I found myself watching Ashley Judd on some afternoon talk show. She was making Southren-style biscuits, little baby ones that she was cutting out with a shot glass. And she got a bit tetchy because Production had given her a bottle of cream instead of the whole milk for which she had asked. She said, "Cream is for scones, not for biscuits". I think the idea was that whole milk or buttermilk are lighter because they have less butterfat than pure cream, so the biscuits turn out fluffier and cream makes scones denser. But I could be off. I've never baked a scone.

I think the idea was that whole milk or buttermilk are lighter because they have less butterfat than pure cream, so the biscuits turn out fluffier and cream makes scones denser. But I could be off. I've never baked a scone.

Denser isn't exactly the word I would use. Higher fat content means that scones are actually are flakier and "shorter". Scones resemble shortbread and pastry such as pie crusts in that way. You use cold butter, full fat milk or cream, work it very little, and chill before baking. They are definitely creamer and have more of a slight melt in your mouth feel (almost like shortbread) than a biscuit.

• Love 1

How on earth did you manage that?  US biscuits tend to be incredibly varied.  Some are very scone like.  While others are rolled and some are dropped.  Some are form baked.  Some are even squeezed out of a piping tube (made with bacon fat and incredible with bacon, eggs and grits).  I guess what I am saying is that while your impression is  correct for what you experiences, it would take years and a gut the size of Texas to experience all the different ways American make "biscuits".  People who know biscuits have as dogmatic and yet varied idea take in the US about as much as they do barbeque.  I'd wager there are ten times the types and varieties I have been lucky (and unlucky) to have eaten.  Don't get me started on PA Dutch who call a noodle a dumpling.

While I could appreciate the effort and even technique in the panoramas, I was extremely underwhelmed by even the best of them.  It was not a hunger inducing episode.  Which is good in a way.  But I prefer the ooey gooey ones that have my mouth watering and what I can, in a pinch, use as a culinary surrogate.

ETA: What I've said about US biscuits I can also say to a slightly lesser degree about what British people consider the proper "scone".  A lot won't admit it but there are some rather significant differences despite all claiming to serve a traditional one.

Edited by heebiejeebie

How on earth did you manage that?  US biscuits tend to be incredibly varied.  Some are very scone like.  While others are rolled and some are dropped.  Some are form baked.  Some are even squeezed out of a piping tube (made with bacon fat and incredible with bacon, eggs and grits).  I guess what I am saying is that while your impression is  correct for what you experiences, it would take years and a gut the size of Texas to experience all the different ways American make "biscuits".  People who know biscuits have as dogmatic and yet varied idea take in the US about as much as they do barbeque.  I'd wager there are ten times the types and varieties I have been lucky (and unlucky) to have eaten.  Don't get me started on PA Dutch who call a noodle a dumpling.

While I could appreciate the effort and even technique in the panoramas, I was extremely underwhelmed by even the best of them.  It was not a hunger inducing episode.  Which is good in a way.  But I prefer the ooey gooey ones that have my mouth watering and what I can, in a pinch, use as a culinary surrogate.

ETA: What I've said about US biscuits I can also say to a slightly lesser degree about what British people consider the proper "scone".  A lot won't admit it but there are some rather significant differences despite all claiming to serve a traditional one.

Whilst I accept you are no doubt correct about the variations of US biscuits, I am naturally basing my remarks on my limited experience of them. However, in all my years of scone eating (of which there are many), I cannot say I have experienced any crazy differences other than flavour, be it plain, sultana or cheese etc. As Bake Off aptly proves, you can have 10 bakers bake the same product and they all differ somewhat but a scone is always still a scone. Yes I enjoy some more than others but it is always recognisably (visually & by taste & texture) a scone.

Otherwise how would anyone ever be able to say (of any food that requires a recipe) with conviction; "I love" or "I hate" 'X' as the case may be.

• Love 2

All I know is that I have eaten plenty of scones as a "foreigner" and the cook at Chatsworth is just as proud as the one at the Dorchester at serving a "proper" scone.  And they were different enough to notice even though they were of the plain variety.  Ever culture has something they swear is uniform,  Italians have sauce/gravy, French have croissants and souffles.  All recognizable as such.  Yet can vary.  Because that is what we do.  If we were able to be completely uniform there would be one thing.  Food.  I get what you are saying but I can attest that things vary enough to be noticeable and still be the same.  I mean this show would not exist if there were not accepted variances in what to expect but still able to be put out by a different person and many times commented on by the judges as good form and yet different but just as good from another plate.

Yeah, you know, my mom is from Scotland and lives there for half the year to this day. My dad was a Southerner and I've lived my whole life in the states with a variety of rolls, biscuits and then a mom who can bake a huge variety of scones too.

I have to say, SilverStormm, I think your impressions of scones in the UK vs. biscuits in the U.S. is highly representative of the differences between the two. One really is that there is a higher fat content and denser quality to a scone than in a biscuit (US version). Not to dispute that there is diversity within what the U.S. calls a biscuit , but there is also a widely accepted version of what a biscuit is here and you've got the gist if not the laundry list of all possibilities. There is a typical baking powder or buttermilk biscuit that it wouldn't be inaccurate to hold forth as an example of the majority of biscuits...and you've got that down to rights.

Anyway, fun show and I was so pleased to get a chance to see it. I have some much fun with PBS on Sunday nights (when it isn't pledge season) and I found the whole delightful.

It was nice not to see Paul constantly complaining about too much sugar (as he did in the one season American version) and the showcase items were wonderfully inventive in some instances. St. George and the Dragon with the spiced cookie (whatever we're calling it).

I actually need the field of contest to be thinned a bit before I get everyone's name down though.  Sorry! 

Big problem with Fondant guy was that fondant actually isn't all that palatable and his fondant to cookie ratio was actually leaning heavily towards fondant being the lead ingredient, as well as it being pre-made.  At least that's what I thought when I saw the stacks of fondant in that cookie rocket. 

ETA: by the way, I do know how to make several versions of both scones and biscuits and there are actually scones made with cream (and then often served with clotted cream to really horrify cardiologists).  They are dreadful for you, but so very, very delicious.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

Big problem with Fondant guy was that fondant actually isn't all that palatable and his fondant to cookie ratio was actually leaning heavily towards fondant being the lead ingredient, as well as it being pre-made.  At least that's what I thought when I saw the stacks of fondant in that cookie rocket. 

ETA: by the way, I do know how to make several versions of both scones and biscuits and there are actually scones made with cream (and then often served with clotted cream to really horrify cardiologists).  They are dreadful for you, but so very, very delicious.  

I like that the judges are clear that they take in the whole weekend/all three challenges into consideration when eliminating someone. His rocket was not great relative to the other contestants, he used too much bought fondant, and he didn't really have a great technical challenge result.

I have also made scones with cream. I don't usually eat them with cream when that happens, but maybe a bit of butter and jam. Hee.

• Love 2
I have also made scones with cream. I don't usually eat them with cream when that happens, but maybe a bit of butter and jam. Hee.

In the spirit of "we must live a little before we die" I heartily approve this message.  

Seriously, sooooooo good.     

However, since I'm half American I have coffee with mine :-D

I like that the judges are clear that they take in the whole weekend/all three challenges into consideration when eliminating someone. His rocket was not great relative to the other contestants, he used too much pre-bought fondant, and he didn't really have a great technical challenge result.

That and then thing that might have helped save him would have been a flawlessly executed cookie (y'all know what I mean, okay?) and he didn't have that either.  Nice dude, but he was just hosed all around.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 4

Well if we're all weighing in, I, as an American, prefer American biscuits to scones, because I find that scones tend to be dry.

But, as a German-American, I know that the real gingerbread made to make real gingerbread houses is inedible.  It hardens to the consistency of concrete within 10 minutes of taking it out of the oven.  If you were trapped with your gingerbread house in the Arctic winter, you could probably eat it.  But you'd eat your shoelaces first.  When I make it, there's always a phase that I call "wrestling with the dough" which sounds similar to what Enwezor  mentioned.

There's a great moment in the episode when Chetra (? Chitra - the Indian woman) realizes that Paul is lurking behind her and wills herself not to freak out!

• Love 4

If I needed to make a drinking game of this show, which I don't as it is delightful, it would be when someone makes a pun, drink. There seemed to be fewer in this episode, but still, lots....and I giggle at each one.

I know it's not feasible in the US to let the contestants of reality competition shows to go home for the week (that's what it sounds like they're doing, anyway), but here, you see that it results in better results across the board (because they can practice) and less drama, partly because strangers aren't being cooped up together for extended periods with limited contact with loved ones. 

I've seen Extra Slice clips on the BBC site, but I quickly backed out,  as I thought I might spoil myself. I might have to risk it.  

Edited by Darian
  • Love 5

Those naughty puns are definitely a show staple. The social media managers at the BBC get into puns on Twitter and it's impressive when the wordplay actually manages to sidestep the innuendo.

I wonder what the ones who aren't a train ride away do. Fly back and forth to Scotland? I agree that their model is preferable, with at least a few days off a week, but it is pretty crazy that the student competitors have to tape the show during their critical exam times.

Just found the 'Biscuit' episode online and watched it.  Here's the link if you want to try to see it early: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365396176/

Once again the bakers and judges were wonderfully nice people.  I don't need my drama from people being mean, I like it when people act like true competitors while also exhibiting good sportsmanship (something I think is slipping away these days).  [And I say this as someone who watches or follows a lot of "reality" TV and gets annoyed with obvious producer intervention and made up story lines, but continue to watch anyway.]

The talking heads and the editing does suggest that some of the bakers do understand that they're not likely (at all) to win, and for them it's becoming simply a matter of surviving one more week until they get cut, with perhaps a bit of a pipe dream of hoping that maybe they'll outlast the others long enough to pull out a spectacular finish and win.  It's sad to see their desperation, but as judge Paul says, they're all very good at baking or they'd never have been on the show to begin with.

I also like that the bakers are given the specifics of two of the three challenges so they can prepare in advance.  Baking requires planning ahead and following an established recipe for a good result.  IMO, this is better than throwing cooks into a kitchen and requiring them to come up with a meal with a minimal amount of time and ingredients, and expecting a great meal.  I know that there are a lot of recipes out there that were created under such circumstances, but expecting it to happen each week (a la Hell's Kitchen) is a bit much.

• Love 4

Those naughty puns are definitely a show staple. The social media managers at the BBC get into puns on Twitter and it's impressive when the wordplay actually manages to sidestep the innuendo.

Just innuendo? I swear, when the woman (don't know names yet) announced the winner, she said to him, "I will happily sail to your penis island with you."  Since that was quite the non-sequitur and thinking I must be mistaken, I turned on the closed captioning and watched it again. The CC claims she says "peanut island" but I sure don't hear that final 'T'.  (And I have known CC to turn a "fuck it" that the editors missed into "bucket".)  Hey, it makes for an interesting show.

My biggest problem with this episode was that we never got a really nice view of the show-stoppers, which frankly were show-stoppers. There were some close-up shots of individual parts of the displays but for only two of the more boring ones did we see the whole thing very briefly. And I thought breaking up the display literally minutes after it had been put together was just rude. I would have been much happier if they had to make some sample biscuits to eat along with the display.

But I enjoyed the American version of the show and I'm enjoying the original version just as much. If anything, it shows that Jeff Foxworthy was absolutely spot on as the host.

• Love 2
My biggest problem with this episode was that we never got a really nice view of the show-stoppers, which frankly were show-stoppers. There were some close-up shots of individual parts of the displays but for only two of the more boring ones did we see the whole thing very briefly. And I thought breaking up the display literally minutes after it had been put together was just rude. I would have been much happier if they had to make some sample biscuits to eat along with the display.

I was a big fan of Luis' dragon showstopper but if you haven't already, you should check out the gingerbread colisseum from a few seasons back.

• Love 1