Type keyword(s) to search

Meet the Parents: Gil and Kelly Jo Bates

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, SMama said:

I saw Jackson as well as Tori and family in a Bates farm video. It was a full house with only the  Paines missing. I also saw Khloe, Jadon, Bradley, and Whitney. I’m nosy and very curious about where that many people sleep. 

Gil's brother and sister live on adjoining properties and I believe some of the kids bring their RVs.

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I saw Jackson and Emerson in a SM post. No Tori. 

Did she look pregnant? She is due for an announcement.

Tori and family, as well as Jackson were on a reel. You can only see Tori’s upper body.

• Useful 1

Who has the swimming pool? I noticed that many of the female grandchildren were wearing regular little girl bathing suits. Probably made Gil and Kelly quite uncomfortable. The daughters also wore appropriate summer wear; spaghetti straps, shorter summer cotton sun dresses. Kelly didn't look like she belonged there. She was so overdressed with 2 shirts and that long heavy denim skirt.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Who are the Langdons and what is their connection to the Bates And Duggars. Josie and her girls spent a week with these people last month in their beautiful Greenwich Connecticut home. Now Kelli is posting a bunch of pictures and thanking them for hosting her and her 3 youngest children girls for a week. Also there are picture of Michelle and one of the Duggar girls. It seems so weird that these people are connected to the Duggar/Bates families.

• Useful 1

Two of the Langdon daughters, Claire and the other one, attended Clown College and tutored the younger Bates kids (lord knows when Kelly last taught a kid). 

Didn't realize that they were so well to do, but they took the various Bateses who visited out on their boat, amongst other activities. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 4

Josie posted pictues of the outside of their home, the gardens and the pool area and it looked very very nice. I wonder where their money came from. Certainly not that organization that Gill is attached to. And what were their children doing living in rural Tennessee? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

Josie posted pictues of the outside of their home, the gardens and the pool area and it looked very very nice. I wonder where their money came from. Certainly not that organization that Gill is attached to. And what were their children doing living in rural Tennessee? 

The girls (okay, the parents) chose for the girls to go to "college" in rural Tennessee. Maybe they were Bates leghumpers. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

Good lord from Greenwich, Connecticut to rural Tennessee and Clown college. Must have been somewhat of a culture shock.  Loved "college." 

Definitely a bit of an odd choice. You'd think they'd go to Liberty, which if I'm not mistaken, is actually accredited. 

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I think one of the Duggar boys has been seen with one of the Langdon girls for awhile, since Lawson’s wedding or before.

Jason and Claire seemed to be an item for a while. However, if they're still together, they're being very quiet about it.

(edited)
On 7/5/2023 at 9:56 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

I've noticed that they've found some younger plus sized models of late. Kelly hasn't modeled in maybe a couple of months. 

I suspect the other issue is that Kelly is short and had trouble modeling those dresses with tiered skirts.  She always had to hold them up or they would have pooled on the floor.  As a short person myself, I avoid those types of dresses because they are impossible to alter.  You can't just hem them because the bottom tier will look out of proportion to the others.  You can't remove the bottom tier altogether because then you have two tiers that look strange.  So the only way they can be altered for someone short is to take the whole thing apart and shorten all the tiers.  I suspect Michael wasn't willing to do that for Kelly, so that is why you never see Kelly actually wearing any of the BSB stuff.

Edited by Meow Mix
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
19 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

No shape whatsoever. Awful. 

It's a little better than the multi-tiered monstrosities she usually models. When I say a little better, I mean like a hairball is preferable to what my cat does on carpet when she eats her wet food too fast. 

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Because they might have to actually pay someone else to model it? 

I think KJ loves the attention of modeling and having her picture taken. Even if she looks awful in BSB clothes, her normal outfit of denim skirt and a loose, blousy top is worse.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

Because they might have to actually pay someone else to model it? 

My question is more along the lines of WHY did they choose that “style” from the options in the Chinese sweatshop collection to stock?

Kelly has zero sense of style. Maybe she feels pretty in the BSB clothes? 

If that were true, she’d probably wear a few of them outside the shop .

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

My question is more along the lines of WHY did they choose that “style” from the options in the Chinese sweatshop collection to stock?

I guess they thought you could belt it. However, it's dumb not to style it that way. It would have looked a thousand times better.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Ok, obvious question time.  Why did Michael need to decorate the house and Ellie need to clean it?  Why did the house "desperately" need to be cleaned?  Why isn't Kelly doing anything herself except standing around in her ugly denim skirt holding a sign that looks like a six-year-old made it in two minutes?  I guess it's something that she actually thanked all the people who did stuff while she and Gil - Isaiah's parents - did nothing except stand around.

• Like 9
  • Applause 6

She's really leaning into this 2nd parent BS for Jeb and Jud - second time she's said it in as many weeks. We know we know, you're ready to be done with children and are ready to pawn them off on anyone and everyone. Addie/Ellie are grown and they'll be gone in the next 2-4 yrs anyway as soon as a man comes along. Callie is younger but looks like Law and Tiff will finish raising her. So that leaves Jeb and Jud. Lets be real Jeb and Jud probably consider Michael/Brandon their FIRST parents since they're always with them + now Michael's inlaws their second parents. How sad to even say that your sons think of their oldest sister's husband's parents as their second parents - when they have 2 perfectly healthy albeit useless parents of their own at home. Hopefully Michael and Brandon's mom work on some homeschooling with those two and some manners as well bc as of a few years ago they were starting to see feral. Wonder if that's why Kelly pawned them off to Michael anyway - she didn't want to deal with pre teen boys, manners etc. so Michael can raise them until they're teens and then hand them off to Warden/Trace to complete their man/contractor etc. training.

Edited by cereality
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Kelly's really pathetic. Horrible, horrible mother. If you don't want them, don't keep having them. 

Fortunately, her uterus has packed it in. Lousy mother indeed. Too bad Gil's swimmers didn't stop swimming about thirty years ago. 

• Like 8

Agree that Kelly is no mother of the year and agree she should have had far less children and agree she should be raising her own children, but shit, I do kind of get her being tired of it.

Anyway, *Callie, Jeb and Jud are actually the lucky ones in the deal as they get all kinds of love, attention and experiences their siblings missed out on.

*although after the form fitting birthday dress Tiff bought Callie, I wonder if her time with L&T will be limited now.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Agree that Kelly is no mother of the year and agree she should have had far less children and agree she should be raising her own children, but shit, I do kind of get her being tired of it.

Anyway, *Callie, Jeb and Jud are actually the lucky ones in the deal as they get all kinds of love, attention and experiences their siblings missed out on.

*although after the form fitting birthday dress Tiff bought Callie, I wonder if her time with L&T will be limited now.

I hope they don’t cut that off. It must be nice for Callie to get attention like that — and to not be used as unpaid maid/nanny.

I get Kelly and Gil being tired. But, hey! Maybe think about that before having dozens of kids. It’s not the kids’ fault they came at the end of the line when you were over the parenting thing. But, then again, maybe it works to Callie/Jeb/Jud’s advantage that KB are hands-off with them.

• Like 5

I think all of the younger Bates kids are more than happy to get away from the senior Bates. It means the they can go to Alyssa's and do normal things like swim in a pool and I bet they are not swimming in denim skirts.  The married sisters seem to treat the visiting sisters very well. They take them on shopping trips. Addee was visiting Katie a few weeks ago and they went to Cape May for the day. They get out and do things not just sit around in that filthy  living room and listen to Gill drone on and on . 

• Like 11
13 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I think all of the younger Bates kids are more than happy to get away from the senior Bates. It means the they can go to Alyssa's and do normal things like swim in a pool and I bet they are not swimming in denim skirts.  The married sisters seem to treat the visiting sisters very well. They take them on shopping trips. Addee was visiting Katie a few weeks ago and they went to Cape May for the day. They get out and do things not just sit around in that filthy  living room and listen to Gill drone on and on . 

Their doing the same work no matter where their at but I'm glad there's some perks to them going to Alyssa's or Katie's.

• Like 4
On 8/22/2023 at 10:02 PM, cereality said:

She's really leaning into this 2nd parent BS for Jeb and Jud - second time she's said it in as many weeks. We know we know, you're ready to be done with children and are ready to pawn them off on anyone and everyone. 

I'm not a parent, but I am not sure I would want to make it public that my kids would love to move to another state and live with one of my other kid's in-law family.  Jeb and Jud are old enough that saying that means something more than it would if they were around five and just had a good time at someone else's house.  Gil and Kelly are so clueless that the reason Jeb and Jud want to move there is because they probably get attention and get to be just kids.  At leas there they don't have to listen to Gil go on about whatever hateful sermon he is writing or listen to Kelly go on about how busy she is.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I'm not a parent, but I am not sure I would want to make it public that my kids would love to move to another state and live with one of my other kid's in-law family. 

When she says "the Keilens" I assumed she was talking about Brandon and Michael, not Brandon's parents. Though your point still stands. If B & M asked for the boys to come live with them permanently, I think Kelly would be like, "Sure, great."

• Like 4
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

When she says "the Keilens" I assumed she was talking about Brandon and Michael, not Brandon's parents. Though your point still stands. If B & M asked for the boys to come live with them permanently, I think Kelly would be like, "Sure, great."

The post says Michigan.

• Like 3

Yeah, B&M took the boys ob their annual trip to visit Brandon's family. This is the second or third year the boys have gone. 

Right so that’s where Kelly is talking about, is my point.

• Like 1

From watching the Bates show.. when Brandon/Michaela were living in the Chicago suburbs... the younger kids would visit them... and Michaela .... gasp... was providing structure and making the younger kids follow rules.

Kids may like the freedom... but I think deep down, they crave structure and routine as well... which Michaela seems to provide.  It is kind of sad that she/Brandon would make great parents and have been unable to successfully conceived while Kelly/Gil.. and Carlin/Evan seem to have no trouble having kids and take them for granted.

• Like 7

In addition to raising her own siblings, Michael was a nanny for a few yrs pre marriage for another family. I think she has a good idea about how to keep kids occupied but provide structure and unlike G&K when they’re in her care - she doesn’t let kids wander aimlessly acting feral.

Early on when they moved back to Knox, they had Callie, Jeb, Jud and whatever grandkids were old enough over for an afternoon in the fall. The activity was making caramel apples. Brandon was keeping sweet but like any 20 something yr old guy was like great - sticky hands all over my walls and windows. And yet there was none of that bc Michael was so orderly and laid down the rules with the kids - one kid at a time would go to Michael and dip their apple and once done it goes on this cookie sheet and they are not to touch it again and once all kids are done, we all go play in the leaves or whatever for 45 min until the caramel hardens. And feral Jeb/Jud cooperated fully bc they wanted to do the activity + I have a sense they realize Michael means business and if they dick around she wouldn’t hesitate to cancel the activity and her/Brandon would give a sermon on obeying your elders.

• Like 12

I think with both the Duggars and Bates the first bunch of kids were raised in a (too) structured environment. As each added kid came along the structure was less and less. I also think Michael is like Jana - when they talk the younger kids listen.

Michael does seem to be a sweet person, and Brandon seems very involved with the nieces and nephews, but they also seem to still be very IBLP - so blanket training and instant obedience.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

From watching the Bates show.. when Brandon/Michaela were living in the Chicago suburbs... the younger kids would visit them... and Michaela .... gasp... was providing structure and making the younger kids follow rules.

Kids may like the freedom... but I think deep down, they crave structure and routine as well... which Michaela seems to provide.  It is kind of sad that she/Brandon would make great parents and have been unable to successfully conceived while Kelly/Gil.. and Carlin/Evan seem to have no trouble having kids and take them for granted.

So true. I’m also the oldest sister and child-free (except a 12-year-old stepson). My youngest sisters, nephew, nieces and SS have always been incredibly well-behaved with me. Not because I’m scary, but I am firm and have expectations for behavior, while also knowing how to have fun with them. Despite not allowing a free-for-all, I’ve always been very popular. I think a big part of that is kids like boundaries. They make them feel secure.

• Like 8

M&B do seem "instant obedience" to me and I feel that's what they may do with their own kid if they had one but IDK I also feel like they are loving and structured enough that they wouldn't NEED to do the instant obedience thing. I feel like Jim Bob/Michelle and Gil/Kelly put the blanket training/instant obedience into play bc let's be real they didn't want to really deal with their children; yet they had to deal with the first half dozen or so bc there were no older sisters yet old enough to raise the rest. So instant obedience was a way to beat a kid into submission. And then when the sisters took over they carried it on bc hey these aren't their kids, they are children themselves resenting having to raise a dozen younger siblings so this just makes it easier.

Michael/Brandon OTOH seem to genuinely love kids, want to teach them etc. so IDK I don't feel they'd need to resort to threatening them. I mean even Brandon. These aren't HIS nieces/nephews - if his wife needs a kid fix, she can go do activities with them and he doesn't need to. Yet when Michael invites them over, Brandon is equally involved. At any family gathering, Brandon has 1-2 kids glued to his side - often Bobby's older son and Erin's older daughter. And he seems to enjoy teaching them and is just as structured at his wife.

A few yrs ago there was a solar eclipse so the family gathered to watch and Brandon is the one that is into astronomy and I think has a few specialized cameras and he was explaining to the kids what was going to happen, then showing them pics after. Being feral a few of the kids made a grab for his pricey camera and he was very elementary school teacher as he was like - no don't touch, look right here on the screen and you can see the sun/moon.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I wonder how, after Shiny Happy People, Josh Duggar, Jinger's book and now Jill's book, G&K and they rest of the Bates are faring?

Are they feeling smug thinking its a Duggar thing not a Bates thing? Are G&K thinking its all good if "done right" and the Duggars and others "faltered" in ways they did not? And what about MedicCrap - are the guys talking about this?

I can't imagine after all that has gone down in the past few years, it hasn't had some impact on the Bates.

• Like 6