Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny Houses Ad Nauseam (Except Tiny House Nation)

auntjess
  • Start Topic

I saw the KC episode of Tiny House HuntING, and it really seemed familiar, though the date was new.
Have we done another person who travelled with bands and managed concerts?|
On the modern house, how was that open stairway up to any reasonable code.
I know there was a a rail on the wall side, but the other side was open, something I've only seen in basements of foundation homes before.

I saw the TIny House Hunting one in Pasadena, and was glad they bought the one with the astroturf, because when he has to listen to her little girl voice one too many times, I think it would be easier to disguise a grave under astroturf than under sod.

• Love 2

Having tiny-apartmented (for financial reasons, not for aesthetic or philosophical ones), I'll take my big-mac spaces with extra cheese thank you very much. @SmithW6079 that's a fantastic post (and that blog is now added to my "read regularly" list). And @auntjess, while not one of the Onion's best, it did bring a smile. Thank you.

With any luck I will never have the recurring nightmare of searching for the door to the rest of my living space. I can't imagine what people sleeping in lofts dream of: high-coffinated living, suitable only for goths and persons with very very short torsos. For those gifted with a small bladder, imagine what it takes to get down from that loft several times a night to void oneself. And they never mention how much those places must smell after one's beloved takes a truly colossal dump.

Plus, I wonder exactly how much childcare and psych treatment it takes for those who choose to raise toddlers in such an unpadded environment along with a bunch of pets. Remember the couple who caged their animals each night? And what about when it rains? Or snows? And there's never ever another room (except maybe the bathroom) to get away from anyone else.

If I ever have to live tiny again, I'm signing up for a doublewide. With rooms.

• Love 4
(edited)

The toilet problem was best solved by the couple in Australia (my all-time favorite), who didn't bother with kitchen or bathroom in their "must be mobile" tiny house, but kept it parked in her parents' backyard, and just went into the house when necessary.
Worked for stoage space too.

ETA:
Was just watching a Hoarding episode where guy was kicked out of house, and living in a motel room, and while it was bigger, 500 sq' , the thing that really works better, is that motel rooms don't have to narrow enough for one lane of traffic.
If people had tiny houses in 2 sections, you'd have a lot better space to work with with, than the long, narrow ones.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

I watched one show in the marathon on HGTV yesterday. They had a couple with three kids and I think she was pregnant again who wanted a tiny house. They looked at two, the first one wasn't too bad, but the third was an old bus remodeled cheaply and ugly as hell. They chose the bus and I still can't believe it. I wouldn't have given $5,000 for it, they paid $19,000. This was probably a rerun but new for me. Of all the shows I happened to watch yesterday, this is the one I chose!

• Love 1

Every time I watch the Tiny house shows, I am amazed that people actually want to live in shoeboxes. The one with the single mom of two teens had me shaking my head. Why in the world would you subject yourself to living with two teenagers in such a small space? I think these people must be a little bit "off."

• Love 3
On 10/19/2016 at 11:00 AM, Jleah said:

Every time I watch the Tiny house shows, I am amazed that people actually want to live in shoeboxes. The one with the single mom of two teens had me shaking my head. Why in the world would you subject yourself to living with two teenagers in such a small space? I think these people must be a little bit "off."

I mean, I'm not denying that some tiny homes aren't exactly practical and some families probably shouldn't be forcing themselves into one. On the same token, I shake my head  at huge, space wasting McMansions and the (usually) comparatively tiny families living in those ugly, pointless symbols of materialism. So who's right and who's wrong about that?   

• Love 3
On 10/21/2016 at 9:55 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

I mean, I'm not denying that some tiny homes aren't exactly practical and some families probably shouldn't be forcing themselves into one. On the same token, I shake my head  at huge, space wasting McMansions and the (usually) comparatively tiny families living in those ugly, pointless symbols of materialism. So who's right and who's wrong about that?   

You've got a point. There's something positive to be said about living simply and becoming more of a minimalist. Enjoy life's experiences, without the trap of having your things "own" you. I'm just thinking that some of these people are unrealistic in just how hard it might be to live in such cramped spaces.

• Love 2
On 8/29/2016 at 0:13 PM, auntjess said:

If people had tiny houses in 2 sections, you'd have a lot better space to work with with, than the long, narrow ones.

I saw a Tiny House something where a couple in Austin, Texas (I think?) took two tiny homes and attached them with a "courtyard" in the middle.  Made a lot more sense, especially given they weren't planning on driving all over the place like some of these people claim they are going to do.

Watched a few Tiny Luxury programs last night.  Each one had a budget of $90,000. Seriously?  Look, Tiny Heirlooms (I think that's their name) appears to do quality work and they listen to what is important to the homeowners but $90k?   Go get an RV!   One of the episodes even had a couple that were moving in together for the first time and wanting 100 square feet so his truck could pull it.  It amounted to a rolling bedroom.  No way are they living in that full time, especially since both stated they collected things (books; record albums; weird art.)  My guess is they are using that when they travel only.

• Love 1

The Tiny Luxury crew annoy me. I'm imagining that they all live in some hipster commune (I have a little bit of PTSD from being dragged to them by my parents in the '70s!), and for some reason the women remind me of the Manson girls, especially the primary decorator.

• Love 2

The Tiny Luxury crew annoy me. I'm imagining that they all live in some hipster commune (I have a little bit of PTSD from being dragged to them by my parents in the '70s!), and for some reason the women remind me of the Manson girls, especially the primary decorator.

OMG, thank you!!  I think one presented her baby and it had two names....one being Honeysuckle.  How hippy-chic.  Did I imagine that?  Sums them up perfectly.  

• Love 1
On 9/16/2015 at 0:49 PM, mansonlamps said:

Problem is, the first house he built (admittedly using all his own resources) was 3 1/2' by 8'!!!  OMG, there's tiny and then there's minute.  I understand that it's certainly better than being homeless and the grateful woman said that was the first relaxing night of sleep she'd had in years because she felt safe, but hello claustrophobia, it's practically coffin sized.  

Sorry to respond to a post from 18 months ago, but it's a short thread. We had a bunch of homeless folks living in things like this for a while. They called them "dream pods". They were big enough to sit up, lie down and put your stuff inside with you while you slept. Considering how many municipalities confiscate and destroy the belongings of the homeless, they were a good idea, because they were easy to move. Of course, the city ended up destroying them anyway, despite having no place for the owners to go. 

In case you thought we had reached peak Tiny House...

There's going to be a Lifetime TV movie named "TINY HOUSE OF TERROR"!  Here's the official synopsis (from the production company's website):

Following the mysterious disappearance of her husband, a woman gives up her large high-tech house along with the trappings of her wealthy lifestyle to move into an isolated tiny house, which turns out to be more of a nightmare than a dream when her new lifestyle puts her very life at risk.

Principal filming was in February (press release, via Facebook).  This should air sometime later this year.

(I know this isn't a reality show/series, but I thought y'all get a kick out of it.)

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Just Here said:

There's going to be a Lifetime TV movie named "TINY HOUSE OF TERROR"!  Here's the official synopsis (from the production company's website):

Principal filming was in February (press release, via Facebook).  This should air sometime later this year.

Following the mysterious disappearance of her husband, a woman gives up her large high-tech house along with the trappings of her wealthy lifestyle to move into an isolated tiny house, which turns out to be more of a nightmare than a dream when her new lifestyle puts her very life at risk.

(I know this isn't a reality show/series, but I thought y'all get a kick out of it.)

Does her new lifestyle put her life at risk because her tiny house has only a miniscule sleeping loft and she walks in her sleep?

• Love 8
On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:26 AM, SmithW6079 said:

Does her new lifestyle put her life at risk because her tiny house has only a miniscule sleeping loft and she walks in her sleep?

Does that matter, if it frees her from the trappings of her THINGS, and allows her to TRAVEL?
Hey, I'm in the get an RV  group.

• Love 3
On 10/22/2016 at 11:02 PM, Jleah said:

You've got a point. There's something positive to be said about living simply and becoming more of a minimalist. Enjoy life's experiences, without the trap of having your things "own" you. I'm just thinking that some of these people are unrealistic in just how hard it might be to live in such cramped spaces.

On 10/21/2016 at 9:55 PM, HeySandyStrange said:

There is a happy medium.  Most people do not need 5000 square feet of wasted space or will enjoy living in 150 square feet with giant dogs and a composting toilet 10 inches from where you eat your food.

On 3/18/2017 at 2:15 PM, Just Here said:

This will air on Lifetime on June 24th...I am setting my dvr, as this promises to be awesomely bad.

• Love 5

Watched two episodes of Tiny House Paradise (or maybe Paradise Tiny House) - one built in the jungles near Tulum, the other built in Hawaii. The "kids" building the tiny house near Hilo were hilarious. It's pretty clear that they had someone behind the scene doing the major structural framing and then they admitted they had an electrician and a drywaller, but the swinging bridge and the zip line and the artistic furniture were great.

In both cases, the tiny houses had extensive outdoor living space, which is where you'd actually spend most of your time. Although both of them could use bug screening, I have been in both of those places and it is really necessary.

• Love 2

I get a little nauseous when I hear so many who complain about how they MUST have a walk-in closet, large en suite, bonus room, huge kitchen, etc.  I mean, it's a little ridiculous a lot of the time, but, I also don't think that a lot of the tiny home buyers fully appreciate what living in a small space does to your mind.  For that reason, I don't they should expose kids and pets to it.  Years ago, I moved into a very modern, lovely apt of 575 square feet. It was in an awesome location, easy to walk to many places, with a little quiet oasis just outside the back door and new appliances. Plus a good deal.   It sounds fine, but, after awhile, this place started getting on my nerves.  I just felt closed in and nervous.  If you're not used to that kind of thing, I'm not sure your brain can handle it. Granted, I should have gotten smaller furniture, but, I can't see myself sleeping in a twin bed. lol

• Love 2

I found my old 575 square foot apt online yesterday!  I could hardly believe it.  It's no longer available, but, the lat time that it was, it had been renovated.  They opened up the ceiling and put a cathedral one in.  They also moved the back door to the side, to enlarge the kitchen and refinished the hardwood floors. And added a deck!  It looked great!  Still.....it's the same size. lol  I bet that's why they opened up the ceiling.  Others must have felt the way I did about feeling  too closed in.  

One thing that I don't understand is why when they are building the tiny homes, they use such heavy materials.  Wouldn't lightweight things cost less and make it easier to move?

14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

One thing that I don't understand is why when they are building the tiny homes, they use such heavy materials.  Wouldn't lightweight things cost less and make it easier to move?

I think they do, sometimes, but you probably need to find some at least heavy enough to hold the road, for those who want ones that move.  Also, you wouldn't want them to blow away, or maybe you'd need  anchors.

If you REALLY needed to move your tiny house around frequently, you would just buy an RV - something that is built with the type of lightweight materials that make it practical to move.  I suspect most of these tiny houses don't move often, which is why they can be built with drywall and tile and granite/concrete counters and residential windows. And, of course, a lot of them are site-built, not built on a trailer platform.

I have a 21' travel trailer (168 sf) and it is fine for camping out in the forests (or the beach) for weeks at a time. Sure, it is small, but since the majority of your time is spent outside, it really isn't a problem. Most people who "full time" or "snowbird" in RVs have 35-40' trailers (which is still only 320 sf max).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, WildPlum said:

I suspect most of these tiny houses don't move often, which is why they can be built with drywall and tile and granite/concrete counters and residential windows.

If history is to be believed, most of them become AirBNB income generators or vacation homes rather than primary houses.

• Love 1
On 7/4/2017 at 5:41 PM, WildPlum said:

Watched two episodes of Tiny House Paradise (or maybe Paradise Tiny House) - one built in the jungles near Tulum, the other built in Hawaii. The "kids" building the tiny house near Hilo were hilarious. It's pretty clear that they had someone behind the scene doing the major structural framing and then they admitted they had an electrician and a drywaller, but the swinging bridge and the zip line and the artistic furniture were great.

In both cases, the tiny houses had extensive outdoor living space, which is where you'd actually spend most of your time. Although both of them could use bug screening, I have been in both of those places and it is really necessary.

I didn't see the first one, but I did watch the one with the girls building the house in Hilo. I was confused by them -- both women kept referring to the house as "ours," but at the end, one of them had a "boyfriend." Also, how come their "new best friends," who conveniently were also building their own tiny house and who helped them build their house, weren't there for the reveal? Instead, it was the one's "boyfriend" and, coincidentally, yet another tiny house builder.

Still, I liked the house. I liked that they weren't hung up on "I must have a walk-in closet; I must have full-size appliances; I must have whatever." (Although, a dorm refrigerator would not do it for me. At least get an apartment-size refrigerator.)

• Love 1
(edited)

"Tiny Paradise" set in Arenal, Costa Rica - hmm,  I was ready to come visit, such a beautiful place, right up to the 23 venomous snakes and whatever stinging/biting insect that got the wife. No. The active volcano (which they didn't even mention) doesn't bother me, I already live in an area with active volcanoes.

Interesting little fiberglass Hobbit home, though, fiberglass prefab that was earth-sheltered.

Edited by WildPlum
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2017 at 1:53 AM, WildPlum said:

"Tiny Paradise" set in Arenal, Costa Rica - hmm,  I was ready to come visit, such a beautiful place, right up to the 23 venomous snakes and whatever stinging/biting insect that got the wife. No. The active volcano (which they didn't even mention) doesn't bother me, I already live in an area with active volcanoes.

Interesting little fiberglass Hobbit home, though, fiberglass prefab that was earth-sheltered.

The wife got stung by a wasp, probably. We have those in the United States too.

loved the hobbit house in Costa Rica. I mean, really, it was awesome. I liked the layout; I liked how it was open and airy, despite being underground; I liked how the homeowners addressed that they had to bring in electricity and water, something which usually gets overlooked with all the other tiny house shows.

I didn't understand the cheese-making table. She said she strains the cheese to make cheese? But if it's already cheese ... how does that work? I also wondered about the soaking tub. Did it have a filter? Otherwise, it's just stagnant water in a tropical environment.

I guess the definition of "paradise" is pretty loose, judging that some of the "Tiny Paradise" shows have been set in the United States (albeit in the mountains of Colorado). To me, "paradise" is a tropical island or other exotic locale.

I liked the guy who was just on, building a tiny house on his friend's land in Colorado by the Continental Divide. He and his friend seemed to have such a good time working on it (and the dog house in the same style was adorable). There was another couple who built a house near Denver. While I enjoyed these shows, I don't understand why they're not just how-to's on building tiny houses. 

They have some shorter video clips of Tiny Luxury on HGTV. I prefer the shortened version, show couple, show finished product. ; )   What I don't understand is how they spend 70.000 or more on these fancy homes with granite and beautiful appliances etc. and NO closets...I mean none. One home had a TV coming out of their table, bookshelves built into the stairs, but in the loft, no room for clothes, mattress takes up the entire floor.  There are no cupboards except for food, no laundry or place for even a hamper.

Is it just me or can you live in one outfit?

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/tiny-luxury/episodes/tiny-home-in-lake-tahoe

• Love 1
On 7/27/2017 at 3:16 AM, debraran said:

They have some shorter video clips of Tiny Luxury on HGTV. I prefer the shortened version, show couple, show finished product. ; )   What I don't understand is how they spend 70.000 or more on these fancy homes with granite and beautiful appliances etc. and NO closets...I mean none. One home had a TV coming out of their table, bookshelves built into the stairs, but in the loft, no room for clothes, mattress takes up the entire floor.  There are no cupboards except for food, no laundry or place for even a hamper.

Is it just me or can you live in one outfit?

http://www.hgtv.com/shows/tiny-luxury/episodes/tiny-home-in-lake-tahoe

So these folks are downsizing to 140 square feet - - a hotel room - - but they still want a "master suite" and space for guests (of course.)  I have news, people. No one . . and I mean NO ONE . . is going to want to stay with you in 140 square feet.  That's just insane. 

I just don't get it.  They have a house that is 1,100 square feet.  Not huge.  They want to go to just over 10% of that?  Why?  WHY?   And while the finished product is attractive, $80,000??  Buy a damn RV; at least they are made to be lived in and driven around. 

Not to mention, as @debraran pointed out, there is no closet space.  None.  I guess they could store clothing under the window seat or on the recessed reclaimed wood shelves in the "master suite."  No real storage in the kitchen either.  Two floating shelves aren't going to do it. 

No mirror in the bathroom.  Where does the tv go?   And girl, that is NOT a book collection.  I have a book collection that would easily take up the "guest loft" and probably more.  

I do like the couple that does the Tiny Luxury homes and I think they do quality work, as well as listen to the homeowner, but spending that level of money is crazy to me.  Especially when anyone with a hitch can pull up and drive away with your tiny luxury house.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

No mirror in the bathroom.  Where does the tv go?   And girl, that is NOT a book collection.  I have a book collection that would easily take up the "guest loft" and probably more.  

I do like the couple that does the Tiny Luxury homes and I think they do quality work, as well as listen to the homeowner, but spending that level of money is crazy to me.  Especially when anyone with a hitch can pull up and drive away with your tiny luxury house.

I refuse to believe that unless it's a mess, some people actually live in these homes.  You need shoes, coats, etc. especially in colder areas in the mid-west. You can't just have a cubby. I realize that for show, like many homes, that make it neat, but once just livable items, clothes, computers, toiletries, medicines, food, come in, you need room. You need a place to put dirty clothes especially if you don't have a washer.  I did read of a couple of TH dwellers that said they kept many things at parent's homes and one got a rental space but that would cost money. Another built a shed but how safe that is, is dependent on the shed. But like @Psychoticstate said, some have had the whole house disappear. ; )

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, debraran said:

I refuse to believe that unless it's a mess, some people actually live in these homes.  You need shoes, coats, etc. especially in colder areas in the mid-west. You can't just have a cubby. I realize that for show, like many homes, that make it neat, but once just livable items, clothes, computers, toiletries, medicines, food, come in, you need room. You need a place to put dirty clothes especially if you don't have a washer.  I did read of a couple of TH dwellers that said they kept many things at parent's homes and one got a rental space but that would cost money. Another built a shed but how safe that is, is dependent on the shed. But like @Psychoticstate said, some have had the whole house disappear. ; )

And therein lies the rub for me.  If you require a storage unit/shed/space at your parents' in order to store your things, not only are you not downsizing but a tiny house is NOT realistic for you.  And it's okay!   Live in something that is realistic for you and your belongings, whether it's "trendy" or not. 

Frankly, living in something far too small to accommodate me and my things would be far more stressful than having actual space.

• Love 4

I agree, living with less doesn't have to be a shoe box. You can give junk away, clothes, etc. but to "forget" as one TH dweller said, she needed winter coats, boots and scarves, is a little silly. You didn't forget, you just wanted the tiny home more. The first THN show had a guy who needed suits to wear to work and he had no room. (duh) I liked the woman in a 700 ft tiny foundation house show that had a home built after Katrina and she said, I needed my photo albums (no digital for her) so she kept them in storage. She was honest and it wasn't a lot but if she was younger, it might have been something else. Find what's right for you but try not to spend 50-100,000 or more on a THOW that you can't re-sell easily or get insurance in some places.  The show had me look at my things with a more critical eye and I gave a lot to charity, consignment and some things I just threw out.  For that, I'm grateful. We all need a push at times.

My daughter's live in apartments with little, but they both have something that wouldn't fit in a tiny home. One has books that would definitely not fit in a stair bookcase and the other, cooking supplies. But that's okay, it makes them happy and they have much less of anything else.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I like to watch the show Tiny House Hunting on the FYI network when I remember it's on. They look at all kinds of tiny homes like apartments, condos and regular houses not built on wheels. There's more variety then the shoebox type tiny homes.

I much prefer the foundation homes to the THOW.  They are less likely to depreciate as rapidly and to such a greater degree, plus you have more options with them.  Okay, you can't travel the country with them but honestly, how many of these THOW folks are really traveling around the country with their homes?  I'm thinking a percentage that's so minimal it's not worth mentioning.  A bit on that subject, I do enjoy seeing the folks that renovate operable school buses because, while they are tiny, you can actually drive them (and not tow them) and I have seen some clever ideas. 

I know a THOW would never work for me. I have too many books that I simply will not part with.  I also like to have separate areas of my home - - I don't necessarily want to see my kitchen from my bedroom or my bedroom from my living area; nor do I want to be in my living area and bedroom at the same time (unless I was in a cool studio or loft.)  I also require something larger than a quasi-pantry to keep my clothing/shoes/handbags in. 

The only real gripe I have with the tiny/small foundation homes is when the folks are actually building one and they STILL make the bedrooms the size of a closet.  Or teeny tiny closets, if at all. Huh?  Why?  WHY?  It isn't a contest to see who can live in the smallest space.  If a king-sized bed is important to you, build a room large enough to hold it, plus nightstand/dresser/chair/whatever and to be able to access the bed from either side.  It's not like the Tiny House Police will cite you or anything. 

I remember watching one episode (can't remember which show) of a couple building in MS, maybe, after their home was damaged/destroyed by Katrina, maybe.  I really liked their foundation home overall.  Since the home was built with the main entry upstairs, there was storage space underneath that was still ground level.  They had a nice sized living room, a normal kitchen, a nice bathroom and a separate master bedroom with closet (thank you, tiny house gods!)  The only thing I didn't like or understand was that they gave the teen son an open loft bedroom.  The loft - - which was nice - - opened to the living room meaning that he had zero privacy.  And he admitted in the update at the end that he could hear every other noise in the house (and I think we know what he meant.)  It's not just potentially overhearing the adults in their bedroom but also overhearing if one of them gets up and goes in the kitchen, or out the front door, or to the bathroom.  My point is that I didn't understand why they didn't expand the footprint a little bit (since they owned the land they were building on) and add an additional bedroom downstairs and have the loft area be a tv/fun room that converts to a guest room when needed (because it's clearly a requirement for anyone on these shows to be overly concerned about the ever-present overnight guests.)  

That said, that foundation home was one of the few I've seen on these programs that I actually could visualize myself living in because while smaller (I think it was around 650 square feet), the space was designed very smartly and the high ceilings made it feel much larger than it really was. 

5 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

I much prefer the foundation homes to the THOW.  They are less likely to depreciate as rapidly and to such a greater degree, plus you have more options with them.  Okay, you can't travel the country with them but honestly, how many of these THOW folks are really traveling around the country with their homes?  I'm thinking a percentage that's so minimal it's not worth mentioning.  A bit on that subject, I do enjoy seeing the folks that renovate operable school buses because, while they are tiny, you can actually drive them (and not tow them) and I have seen some clever ideas. 

I know a THOW would never work for me. I have too many books that I simply will not part with.  I also like to have separate areas of my home - - I don't necessarily want to see my kitchen from my bedroom or my bedroom from my living area; nor do I want to be in my living area and bedroom at the same time (unless I was in a cool studio or loft.)  I also require something larger than a quasi-pantry to keep my clothing/shoes/handbags in. 

The only real gripe I have with the tiny/small foundation homes is when the folks are actually building one and they STILL make the bedrooms the size of a closet.  Or teeny tiny closets, if at all. Huh?  Why?  WHY?  It isn't a contest to see who can live in the smallest space.  If a king-sized bed is important to you, build a room large enough to hold it, plus nightstand/dresser/chair/whatever and to be able to access the bed from either side.  It's not like the Tiny House Police will cite you or anything. 

I remember watching one episode (can't remember which show) of a couple building in MS, maybe, after their home was damaged/destroyed by Katrina, maybe.  I really liked their foundation home overall.  Since the home was built with the main entry upstairs, there was storage space underneath that was still ground level.  They had a nice sized living room, a normal kitchen, a nice bathroom and a separate master bedroom with closet (thank you, tiny house gods!)  The only thing I didn't like or understand was that they gave the teen son an open loft bedroom.  The loft - - which was nice - - opened to the living room meaning that he had zero privacy.  And he admitted in the update at the end that he could hear every other noise in the house (and I think we know what he meant.)  It's not just potentially overhearing the adults in their bedroom but also overhearing if one of them gets up and goes in the Yes, or out the front door, or to the bathroom.  My point is that I didn't understand why they didn't expand the footprint a little bit (since they owned the land they were building on) and add an additional bedroom downstairs and have the loft area be a tv/fun room that converts to a guest room when needed (because it's clearly a requirement for anyone on these shows to be overly concerned about the ever-present overnight guests.)  

That said, that foundation home was one of the few I've seen on these programs that I actually could visualize myself living in because while smaller (I think it was around 650 square feet), the space was designed very smartly and the high ceilings made it feel much larger than it really was. 

Yes, they have done a few nice ones, but there always seems to be something "off" like that loft and the bed coming out of the floor in the living room.  : ) Most foundation homes people keep and live in but one "river home" became an airbnb and I was a little surprised this Victorian did        https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/13512623

They have much better luck it seems that THOW with rentals unless it's in Europe or a location that is a hot spot. And then you better not have a composting toilet and spotty Internet. ;)   One of the first foundation homes, a gothic house had 2 lofts which was odd for parent/child but Zack put in huge closets downstairs for their costumes and outfits for their band. It can be done, it's just what you ask for.

On 7/4/2017 at 5:41 PM, WildPlum said:

I just saw Puget Sound, The couple was way too "crunchy-granola" for my taste but I thought the home was nice for them.  They built a staircase with storage underneath and had a little hanging storage also. (I heard the woman say she had something in storage boxes to her friend while her husband/partner was talking. )The loft was roomy and they had full appliances and a greenhouse that can be collapsed to move. My only pause was the outside toilet and shower, what if it's cold?? He said it was space saving but how big does a room with toilet have to be?  

But overall, it was designed roomier than most and the furniture was rustic and could be used for multiple things. Without the children most seem to bring with them, it's fine for a couple who like things more natural.

The one in the jungle was cool also and my fear of heights wouldn't have kept me from the observation tower at least once. ; )  The only thing I wondered with both is how do they wash their clothes?  And what do they do for money?

Edited by debraran
On 7/8/2017 at 9:18 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I didn't see the first one, but I did watch the one with the girls building the house in Hilo. I was confused by them -- both women kept referring to the house as "ours," but at the end, one of them had a "boyfriend." Also, how come their "new best friends," who conveniently were also building their own tiny house and who helped them build their house, weren't there for the reveal? Instead, it was the one's "boyfriend" and, coincidentally, yet another tiny house builder.

Still, I liked the house. I liked that they weren't hung up on "I must have a walk-in closet; I must have full-size appliances; I must have whatever." (Although, a dorm refrigerator would not do it for me. At least get an apartment-size refrigerator.)

I wasn't important to the build, but I assumed the girls were a couple because I couldn't imagine building a home, pooling money and spilling my blood with someone who might want to move in with someone else. : ) And there was one bed. But it was a cool home, the zip line, hot tub, etc. I'm not sure how well the solar works, if they have access to stores nearby, do they work, practical questions, I thought of after thinking what a nice job they did.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this, but has anyone seen the show on the DIY network about the couple in Hawaii that build yurts in remote places on the islands?  The first one I saw was being built in a very windy location and I saw no evidence of a bathroom of any type.  The man was the owner of a soft ware company and they talked about using it for a get away.  Maybe there was an outhouse yurt, but nothing was shown.  The owner wanted it furnished to remind him and his fiance of an African safari they took and liked.  Ok, African safari in Hawaii decor - that's a new one.

The 2nd one I watched had the yurt being constructed in one of the most remote places you can imagine.  Takes a 4-wheel drive vehicle a long time to get to the site.  The owner had lived in a 200 sf house by himself and had an organic farming operation.  He now has a girlfriend and they wanted a yurt as an extra living space, so they had a 1400 sf yurt built.  They hooked up a pump at a stream and created hydroelectric power for the yurt which I thought was pretty cool.  They said it was better than solar because the stream ran 24/7.  The owner of this one said that there are no banks in Hawaii that will lend $$ to people who want to build off the grid houses, so I guess the owners themselves have to pony up the cash to the builder.

I don't think I could ever live in a yurt full time, but I find the show interesting for the locales and different styles of yurts.    

Hey, crunchy, hipster Austin couple!  Giving dad the office and squeezing yourselves and two kids into the other room isn't going to be much fun when the two kids are crying, both have had diaper explosions, you have no tub to bathe either of them, and mom has the flu.  Good luck with the laundry without a washer.  It doesn't help to have chickens and eggs if you can only cook on a hotplate.

Edited by izabella
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Hey, crunchy, hipster Austin couple!  Giving dad the office and squeezing yourselves and two kids into the other room isn't going to be much fun when the two kids are crying, both have had diaper explosions, you have no tub to bathe either of them, and mom has the flu.  Good luck with the laundry without a washer.  It doesn't help to have chickens and eggs if you can only cook on a hotplate.

I just saw that one. What horrible choices and with that kind of money in Austin, that's the best you can do? I thought their budget for tiny home would be under 250,000. That is what people buy big/normal size homes for here in CT.

The first had the bed in the living room an unsafe loft, the second was odd, 2 buildings with no breezeway and no kitchen (what was that before?) And the last, so overpriced, 110.000 over, how was that viable to even show?

Really disappointed in that one, and not a good choice for her kids. How do you save when you have to remodel and knock down walls and insulate and all the other things that go with remodeling? I hope for better shows in the future. Maybe they got this for rental property in the future.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3