Type keyword(s) to search

Tiny Houses Ad Nauseam (Except Tiny House Nation)

auntjess
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, PearlClutcher said:

Here's the real issue with building in some of these remote sites - security. There's thievery going on everywhere.   Robbers could clean you out in minutes and what then?  The police are likely far away too as well as emergency services.  All that paradise comes with a few concerns.

You are right, I bet they don;t get insurance for houses like that, they aren't zoned etc. One fire, robbery or storm and I guess it's gone. Maybe some are done within insurance codes, but even tiny homes are not insurable unless they adhere to RV standards. It makes sense, why should they pay money when it wasn't safe and a fire started or someone towed it away or whatever the scenario. They need some guidelines.

I must say though, some of the ideas and blueprints are out of storybooks and if you can withstand the loss, go for it.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

@auntjess - cool video!

I love the idea of a tiny house but for an extra space for guests.  My brother has one for a cabana by his pool and it works great.  Having said those things, as more and more people live in them they are finding out that the life of a tiny house is about 15 years if using wood on the outside.  Seems like buying an RV new is also a bust.  Either fix up something and be cost efficient or keep your spending down so that the cost over 15 years will be beneficial.  Just google tiny house stolen and you see a lot of stolen tiny houses.  I did learn that investing in land and renting to tiny homes can be very lucrative.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, auntjess said:

You should watch this show, then.  That's what they do.
http://www.fyi.tv/shows/you-cant-turn-that-into-a-house

I am a huge reader of anything tiny.  My nephew, when he was about 10, would visit me at the library.  I have a toy collection for books, most bought at McDonald's or Wendy's and he remarked that I liked anything tiny and I said, "That's why I work with kids".

Anyways, just read a great book called Microshelters which includes plans, decorating tips etc. for all kinds of tiny structures.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I get a little nauseous when I hear so many who complain about how they MUST have a walk-in closet, large en suite, bonus room, huge kitchen, etc.  I mean, it's a little ridiculous a lot of the time, but, I also don't think that a lot of the tiny home buyers fully appreciate what living in a small space does to your mind.  For that reason, I don't they should expose kids and pets to it.  Years ago, I moved into a very modern, lovely apt of 575 square feet. It was in an awesome location, easy to walk to many places, with a little quiet oasis just outside the back door and new appliances. Plus a good deal.   It sounds fine, but, after awhile, this place started getting on my nerves.  I just felt closed in and nervous.  If you're not used to that kind of thing, I'm not sure your brain can handle it. Granted, I should have gotten smaller furniture, but, I can't see myself sleeping in a twin bed. lol

Exactly.  I hate-watch tiny home shows.  I lived in a tiny home for 18 years, before it was "a thing".  When we moved in, we heard it called a bungalow, and a cottage.  Our original landlord built it himself as his honeymoon home, with the thought of expanding it later.  But he had a "spinster aunt" who needed a place to stay, so he let her live there, and bought a house, and had a family.  Then when she passed away, he rented it out.  It was 524 square foot - roughly 24'x24' all on one floor, with a full basement underneath.  It once had a nice big backyard, but he subdivided the plot at one point, and sold half to the neighbor, who parked a double-wide on it for their son (who had been renting the cottage, with his wife and 2 kids - I can't imagine how crowded it was in there).  It had 2 very small bedrooms.  One we used as a small office, and the other as a bedroom, but you couldn't get a queen sized bed in there and close the door, so off it came, and stayed in the basement until we left.  The dining room was teeny - we had a rectangle table and 4 chairs.  You couldn't pull it away from the wall and have space to move around.  The refrigerator and microwave had to be in there - there was no other room for them.  The bathroom was decent enough sized (it was originally in the basement - you could see the remnants of it down there).  The kitchen was a converted back porch.  We assumed the kitchen was originally in the dining room, and we're not sure what the bathroom once was.  The only closet was extremely tiny, and was in the office.

Rent was really cheap, but we found out fast enough that the house was extremely old, and made with outdated materials.  You'd just bump the wall and it would crack or cave in.  There was zero insulation in the walls, and old cellulose in the attic space.  There were also dozens of beehives up there.  And I'm allergic to bees (not anaphylactic, but whatever gets stung swells up huge and hurts really bad).  If we kept the heat above 60 at any time when it was cold out, we'd just be heating the outdoors, and our gas bill would be $400-$500 per month.  Same went for air conditioning.  We only did the living room and bedroom because it was otherwise a waste.  When we moved in, the wiring was bad.  If the microwave was running and the fridge kicked on, it would blow the breaker for the house.  That was fixed, but we'd been there a long time before code enforcement told her (the original landlord's daughter - he passed away about a year after we moved in) that having one outlet per room was not sufficient, and our network of power bars and extension cords were iffy (we had them built by a professional - they were safe, but a pain), and they put extra outlets in to comply with codes.  The basement was always damp - we ruined so many things down there.  At one point, the walls were growing mushrooms, and the back wall was sandy to the touch, which always scared me.  

People were always saying how "cute" the house was, but ask anyone over to visit, and they'd decline, and tell us to come to them, because they had more room.  We weren't able to put anything in the house unless it folded flat.  We got a recliner in to the living room ,but the couch was always a futon, or a day bed at one time.  Any more than 2 visitors meant people sat on laps, or on the floor, or a lawn chair.  We couldn't have people for dinner - too cramped.  If someone wanted to spend the night, it was on the couch.  So the isolation started to get to us after a bit.  We had a cat, and she began acting "weird" after we moved there from our apartment, which was larger.  She was in that house until we put her to sleep.  Then we adopted two more cats (a few months apart) and they began to act weird too.  My husband and I were at each others throats after a few years - we never had our own space, and were always just a few inches apart.  If we were both in the kitchen, both would have to leave in order for one person to get out.  The steps to the basement were so steep and rickety that I would go outside to get in to the basement.

We had started a plan - we were paying bills off as quickly as we could, and had planned on starting to look for a house.  Then we got a call from the landlord saying they wanted to sell.  I was furious, but in the end, it was the best thing.  We ended up buying an older singlewide - 14'x68'.  Double the size of what we had, but by no means a McMansion.  And despite, we ditched over half of our stuff when we moved, and are thrilled with not being so cluttered.  Plus, a singlewide is designed to make maximum use of space, like campers and RV's.  Every room has a closet!  I didn't know how to react (our first place only had one small closet as well).  So many of these tiny homes are designed far worse than our cottage was, that I just can't imagine.  Someone with a child bought the place from our landlord.  She didn't even live in it a year before putting it up for sale again.  The person who lives there now is single, with a small dog.  Much more suited for that.

**ETA: Our cats in the new place are night and day.  Both are much more friendly and less skittish.  They have room to run and play.  

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 8
On 7/7/2018 at 11:18 AM, auntjess said:

FYI network is showing some episodes of My So-Called Simple Life, tomorrow, 7/8, beginning at 10AM ET.

I had never seen this show, and watched some of it today.  This is how I figured tiny house people are in real life - generally one of them is pissed off that the other one is obsessed and forcing them into a tiny house. 

I don't know anyone's name, but the couple with the Spanish tv actress wife...wow, she's something.  I feel bad for her husband's daughters whom she openly complains about having anything to do with.  Her husband is a dumbass, though, for thinking she would ever live in a tiny house in San Bernardino, lol.  No freaking way is she remotely the type who would even consider such a thing.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think there will always be people liking "cozy" (not tiny) and larger. I've unfortunately seen too many who can't afford large become house poor and not be able to stay or keep up with repairs, ground upkeep etc. If you love music, can afford a piano, you should have one to play, why live in a shoe box but you don't need 3000 sq ft for that either.

It really comes down to money and what you want to use it on and how much you are willing to spend and how much you want to do yourself vs paying others.

I'm interested in the new Tiny House Nation show, I hope it's not more THOW because I think they glutted that in the past, so many left them, hated them, put them for sale within in a year. I hope they show more foundation homes with cool space saving features and maybe homes Zack helped build for vets.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

I liked the Tiny House Hunting show because it was more then just the tiny homes on wheels all the time. There was a show similar to it on HGTV too that didn't always show the wheeled ones either. I am so burnt out on the THOW too.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jaded said:

I liked the Tiny House Hunting show because it was more then just the tiny homes on wheels all the time. There was a show similar to it on HGTV too that didn't always show the wheeled ones either. I am so burnt out on the THOW too.

There was Tiny House Hunters, Tiny House Hunting and an International tiny house show that didn't last long (they are more used to smaller homes elsewhere) Tiny House Nation was more building them but that was fake too, you had to have it built or almost built, a certain amount of money and a story to tell. As the years went on, shoddy jobs were spoken about by past participants and I wondered if that was part of the reason it went off the air. Why it's back, I guess we will see.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yes, they touched on some things other articles didn't.  In the past, zoning laws having most in trailer parks or on friends property (usually illegally) making it hard to stay anywhere. The smells bothered a lot too, not just bathroom smells but cooking permeating the house for long periods, musty smells when humidity wasn't managed, pet smells. etc. Leaking happened a lot too with ones built quickly and insurance was another biggie. Not many companies want them, mobile home yes, but they are specifically built to codes and many THN homes aren't made the same way. That was another sticking point, you lose the home, that's it.

I found it intriguing for a while to put "tiny home nation" or TV in search engine on Tiny Home listings site or EBay and see how many were for sale. They got rid of that search engine I think, but there was a subject on this site, "we build you sell" I think that had a few of them. It got so crazy that they were advertising before the show came on the air! I watched a lot the first 2 seasons and I saw the first home shown, one built for a friend, steam punk home, home fr nurse, home for family of 4, lots of couples who wanted more time "to travel". I have to say I wasn't totally surprised but was by the amount of them. One was AirBNB, which made sense but who wants a composting toilet for that. lol

• Love 1

"Tiny Paradise" started a new season on HGTV, and I caught the first two new episodes. The first was a family of millennial hipsters/hippies in Hawaii building their own tiny home out of reclaimed wood and what not. I had to laugh, when, in the first five minutes, the wife said something to the effect of, "We wanted to live in harmony with nature," which is why, apparently, they were moving their family of four into a tiny trailer. The home turned out to be really interesting, with some pretty cool features, but it was oh so tiny for one person, let alone four. They had two small children (5- and 3-years-old), and while they showed a sleeping loft for the parents (presumably), there was nothing for the kids.

The second episode was another group of millennial hipsters building a home out of a box truck that was, apparently, being parked on a private winery where the wife worked part-time. Again, another interesting build, but the wife kept going on about the expensive real estate in the Bay area (no argument there), but that she couldn't see "wasting" their money on rent when all they got in return was shelter (hey, lady, having shelter is a fairly huge thing for most people). In the end, they spent $80,000 to convert a box truck. She was so proud of that, and that they'd be able to travel with their home. Tell me how spending that much money to build a house in a truck is somehow better than renting an apartment? The place had a bathroom, but I wonder how they did the water and electricity hook-ups. Seriously, if you're going to spend that much money on a truck to live in, then just buy a freakin' Winnebago, which is already designed for tiny/mobile living.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

"Tiny Paradise" started a new season on HGTV, and I caught the first two new episodes. The first was a family of millennial hipsters/hippies in Hawaii building their own tiny home out of reclaimed wood and what not. I had to laugh, when, in the first five minutes, the wife said something to the effect of, "We wanted to live in harmony with nature," which is why, apparently, they were moving their family of four into a tiny trailer. The home turned out to be really interesting, with some pretty cool features, but it was oh so tiny for one person, let alone four. They had two small children (5- and 3-years-old), and while they showed a sleeping loft for the parents (presumably), there was nothing for the kids.

The second episode was another group of millennial hipsters building a home out of a box truck that was, apparently, being parked on a private winery where the wife worked part-time. Again, another interesting build, but the wife kept going on about the expensive real estate in the Bay area (no argument there), but that she couldn't see "wasting" their money on rent when all they got in return was shelter (hey, lady, having shelter is a fairly huge thing for most people). In the end, they spent $80,000 to convert a box truck. She was so proud of that, and that they'd be able to travel with their home. Tell me how spending that much money to build a house in a truck is somehow better than renting an apartment? The place had a bathroom, but I wonder how they did the water and electricity hook-ups. Seriously, if you're going to spend that much money on a truck to live in, then just buy a freakin' Winnebago, which is already designed for tiny/mobile living.

That's why I think most of them are fake, maybe they want to rent it out for vacationers wanting to "be with nature" but when bathrooms aren't shown or places to sleep for everyone, just be honest and say, this is for rent. They never do though. A tiny house pirate boat became an airbnb by air time. This one was on a tiny house show and when I went to show a friend the pictures, the rental came up.https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/..13321470 

I found it surprising one that was built on foundation in Hawaii for 2 women on tiny house nation was for sale soon after but not the land, they wanted you move the house! I wondered how bad it was that they did that.

• Love 2

Watched a "Tiny Paradise" last night with the hippie-dippie woman building a tiny home in Joshua Tree, with an eye toward developing an entire "eco-village" of tiny homes. Holy shit was she annoying, whether it was the high-pitched baby girl voice she used or that she never appeared without a head scarf on. Plus, she was just spewing that New Age speak that is meaningless.

I'm thinking she had to be independently wealthy/upper-middle class or a bourgeois dilettante. For starters, she had bought 10 acres of land (and not the plot she had intended, because supposedly she made a wrong turn) and had already built a tiny home on the property that she was living in. She was building another tiny home, where there were two separate sides joined by an atrium. There's no way she was a starving artist; she definitely had money.

I must admit, the build itself was pretty cool, and the countertops they created were awesome. She did a couple of minimal projects, so I'm not sure how much of an artist she actually was, since pretty much all the other work was done by other people.   

I'm also not sure exactly how eco-friendly it was, because in one of the long shots, I noticed a huge air conditioning unit. Also, it seemed like it was out in the desert, so how were the houses powered? Maybe generators?

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 1
On 8/4/2018 at 10:36 PM, SmithW6079 said:

On 8/5/2018 at 7:16 AM, debraran said:

That's why I think most of them are fake, maybe they want to rent it out for vacationers wanting to "be with nature" but when bathrooms aren't shown or places to sleep for everyone, just be honest and say, this is for rent. They never do though. A tiny house pirate boat became an airbnb by air time. This one was on a tiny house show and when I went to show a friend the pictures, the rental came up.https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/..13321470 

I found it surprising one that was built on foundation in Hawaii for 2 women on tiny house nation was for sale soon after but not the land, they wanted you move the house! I wondered how bad it was that they did that.

This lady was nice enough to share some of the issues going tiny can cause and she is one of those that enjoy the experience.

Nice compilation of articles. Zack Giffin from THN was asking people on FB to vote for his friend Chris Stout who a nominee for CNN award.

I might think THN is tripe at times, but I hope this year they have one about building homes for people who need them. Your own small house is better for you emotionally than a hotel room or shelter or bridge.  I'd rather see that than couples who will sell it within the year and complain about kitchen size. ; )

shttps://www.cnn.com/2018/10/18/us/cnnheroes-chris-stout-veterans-community-project/index.html

https://www.kctv5.com/news/top-cnn-heroes-of-kansas-city-man-helps-build-homes/article_db2bd87a-de14-11e8-8bf5-f34c5c7e286d.html

• Love 3

We've debated tiny houses at my house many times, most of us thinking that the majority of owners will grow tired of the limited space. Also, growing up as rural southerners, they look like very fancy trailers to us, in form and function.

With family members who lost homes in Katrina and waited forever for the FEMA trailers and other resources, I'm attracted to the potential for rapid housing post-disaster, as well as for the homeless. Of course then you get into NIMBY. Speaking of which, my community is hotly debating accessory dwellings as well as Airbnb. I think modified tiny houses would be a great resource for people who need extra space for family, such as an aging parent, or for guests. I've always loved the guest houses one sees in California.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

One foundation home was made on THN because of Katrina, normally the laws wouldn't let them build. Certain states are more lax. I hate seeing all the tiny homes in yards, farm land illegally or just temporarily in a park. I can't see buying something over 50.000 for the joy of hiding for years or using my parents bathroom while I had space outside.  To each his/her own, but I feel in some areas a place for smaller homes (foundation) should be allowed, THOW if built to certain qualifications, can be in RV parks but many aren't.  I did see a few advertised in the past with that in bold print.  You can understand the rules, they want to know it's safe and not going to impact other homes around it.

I don’t know anything about these shows and small houses, but I I saw an episode while flipping around of a couple with 2 kids who had a 500 sq ft house built.  The wife was so thrilled .. I don’t know why.  The bedrooms were upstairs and you couldn’t even stand up fully while up there.  You had to climb a ladder.  I would have a panic attack in two minutes of being in there, and they planned to live in there?  I don’t get it.  The kids had a pull down table for reading and doing crafts.  I don’t think the kids went for it at all no matter what the parents tried to convince them.

• Love 3

I think most of this tiny house interest is ridiculous. And ALL of the show set ups are fake (IMO). So I can't watch any kind of house hunter shows anymore.

That's right, I guess I'm passing judgement. But who in their right mind wants to live with two kids -- 4 and  7 -- different genders, in a 375 sq ft space.

One show I saw all the beds were pull out. The kinds and parents were on bunk beds, the opposite gender sibs were suppose to sleep together --  and and there was ONE sink shared for kitchen AND bathroom. Just stop it. 

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2

I don't mean to kickstart a possibly dead thread, but these tiny home stories got me going. I just moved from a 2200 sq ft house to my fiance's 900 sq ft house. He is kind of a pack rat but I figured I could clear out stuff as I acclimated. Well, his mom ended up having to move in with us (temporarily, but for a while) and now we are a crowded house of 3 adults. Throw in the times one or both of his teenage kids decide to come sleepover and I am now in full on claustraphobia mode. Rooms are brimming with stuff I haven't had time to go through and our shared space is a nightmare to maenuver with 2 adults, let alone 3 or possibly 5. Anyway, I always thought the tiny homes were a terrific idea to live modestly and reduce clutter but now I am of a different mindset. I couldn't do it. I am biding my time until MIL moves out and we sell to move to slightly bigger space. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

I don't mean to kickstart a possibly dead thread, but these tiny home stories got me going. I just moved from a 2200 sq ft house to my fiance's 900 sq ft house. He is kind of a pack rat but I figured I could clear out stuff as I acclimated. Well, his mom ended up having to move in with us (temporarily, but for a while) and now we are a crowded house of 3 adults. Throw in the times one or both of his teenage kids decide to come sleepover and I am now in full on claustraphobia mode. Rooms are brimming with stuff I haven't had time to go through and our shared space is a nightmare to maenuver with 2 adults, let alone 3 or possibly 5. Anyway, I always thought the tiny homes were a terrific idea to live modestly and reduce clutter but now I am of a different mindset. I couldn't do it. I am biding my time until MIL moves out and we sell to move to slightly bigger space. 

you might find this video funny. He touches on tiny homes and other silly things people think they can do.

I think I could do 900 alone or with a neat hubby or roommate. My friend is doing 750 sq ft 2 bedroom ranch but she gave away a lot of stuff she didn't really want. Her attic holds Xmas stuff etc and no basement. Easier for her at 60 but not for everyone.

• Love 1