Type keyword(s) to search

Friends in the media

VCRTracking

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be the uncut versions.  I've been watching season 6 as it's the first season that I don't have on DVD, and there are at least two times when I've noticed cuts.  The first is in the first episode - Chandler's line about "two bottles of vodka walking around in human form) isn't there, and in the first part of "The One that Could Have Been", I remember when Phoebe has her first heart attack in Monica's apartment, after she asks if she would have pain in her arm if she were having a heart attack, she says something like "Well, you'd better call 911 for me, because this thing's useless" (meaning her arm) and pushes her cell phone to Monica.  That isn't there either. 

It's been a while since I've seen those episodes, so I might be misremembering, but if they were supposed to be the uncut versions, they don't seem to be. 

Edited by Ringthane

In the latest Onion AV Club "Random Roles" interview Paget Brewster(Criminal Minds, Community) mentions her role of Kathy, Chandler's girlfriend:

AVC: Your first real breakthrough was a recurring role on Friends. Was that just your standard audition situation?

PB: No! I was terrified! I had moved to Los Angeles and shot one pilot [World On A String] starring Dana Gould, and it didn’t go. And then I auditioned for Kathy at Warner Brothers, and there were, like, three devastatingly beautiful young women in the room—you would know who they were—waiting to go in, so when I went in and Matthew Perry was there… I’d watched Friends, so this was terrifying to me. This was my first job in L.A. that I thought I might get, and suddenly I was going, “I’m never going to get this!” I went, “Clearly, I’m your runty alternate, so let’s get this show on the road!” And Matthew said that was it. He was done. Matthew told me later that he and [executive producer] Kevin Bright… Matthew had said, “Well, that’s the funniest one, she’s the one,” and they hired me to do it. It was four episodes, and then they made it six.

But I had a black bob, and when I got Friends, I started rehearsing that week, and the hair people cut all my hair off and dyed it red—it took six hours of lightening to dye it red—and then when Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman, and David Crane came down to watch the first day, Kevin Bright starts screaming. “I hired her because she had a black bob! You can’t do this!” And as he’s screaming at the hair guy, I just went upstairs, I put my magazines in my bag, and I just sat and waited, like, “I lost my best job I’ve ever gotten.” And then Kevin Bright came in the room and he went, “I didn’t hire you because of your hair! I just can’t have them making changes without them telling me!” It turned out that the next girl that Chandler was going to fall for was Monica, and the hair guy had said, “I needed her to not look so much like Courteney [Cox].” So that’s why he dyed my hair. I don’t think I’ve ever told anyone that story!

• Love 5

I just wanted to plug the podcast Best of Friends, which I discovered about six months ago and absolutely love. They watch two episodes per week and discuss those episodes. I really enjoy the hosts and they often get insightful emails from Friends fans that make you think differently about certain aspects of the show. It's pretty great!

• Love 1

Funny that Matthew Perry as Ted Kennedy was brought up again, because he and Katie Holmes are on the cover of this week's TV Guide as Edward Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. They even tried to fix his hair as Ted Kennedy wore it in the late '60s.

I know it's become de rigeur to post videos of people making Rachel's trifle in recent years, but Binging with Babish shows making it step by step, as well as a savory trifle alternative:

Bonus: he made a version of the Moist Maker the previous year (he adds stuffing and cranberry sauce which is not specifically mentioned by Ross or Monica):

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Thanks for sharing, that was a great read!

I love how they talked about not wanting to chicken out of switching the apartments. When we'd talk about Friends in my tv classes, one of the things that always came up re: the show revolutionizing sitcoms was that they weren't afraid to have characters make big changes. Most of the characters had several significant love interests that spanned episodes/seasons, they changed jobs, they had kids...it was a hangout/comfort show but it wasn't stagnant. Switching the apartments was a huge deal in 1998. Monica (and Rachel) had become so associated with that apartment that it really changed the dynamics when they weren't in there anymore. I hadn't thought about it from a set design perspective, so it was nice to get that take too.

We talk a lot about the aspects of Friends that don't hold up anymore, but everything about this episode still does and I think always will.

• Love 5

That’s funny, how the article kept going back to the embryos and how that gave the episode its heart, whereas I don’t really care anything at all about that part and only like the part with “the test.”

Looking at the date it premiered (January 15, 1998) is fun though to think what you were doing at the time.  I had an almost four-month old baby and was working in retail.  But I still made time for Friends, until Survivor season 2 which I believe was on Thursdays.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

That’s funny, how the article kept going back to the embryos and how that gave the episode its heart, whereas I don’t really care anything at all about that part and only like the part with “the test.”

Same here. If I'm watching the episode on Netflix, I skip past the Phoebe stuff.

• Love 3

Apparently people discovered that Friends was getting taken off of Netflix on January 1st...and now Friends is not getting taken off of Netflix on January 1st.

It’s nice when large groups of people use their forces for good!

In 2020 there is no option to stay on Netflix because Warner is starting their own platform (which irritates me but that’s a problem for another day).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

In 2020 there is no option to stay on Netflix because Warner is starting their own platform (which irritates me but that’s a problem for another day).

Is everyone starting their own platform? It’s going to cost more to subscribe to all these services than it is to stay with a dish or cable. I know they’re edited, but Friends is practically on 24/7 on various networks.

• Love 4
On 12/3/2018 at 7:17 PM, mojoween said:

Apparently people discovered that Friends was getting taken off of Netflix on January 1st...and now Friends is not getting taken off of Netflix on January 1st.

It’s nice when large groups of people use their forces for good!

I didn't even hear about this until today, and even though I don't watch it on Netflix very often ( usually one of the holiday themed episodes that TBS always skips), it's still nice to have it on there as an option. Netflix has taken off almost every old tv show I used to watch, like all the one-and-dones ( I think Jericho is the only one left that's not syndicated), so if they took Friends also, it would really rub me the wrong way !

10 minutes ago, willco said:

I didn't even hear about this until today, and even though I don't watch it on Netflix very often ( usually one of the holiday themed episodes that TBS always skips), it's still nice to have it on there as an option. Netflix has taken off almost every old tv show I used to watch, like all the one-and-dones ( I think Jericho is the only one left that's not syndicated), so if they took Friends also, it would really rub me the wrong way !

I hadn't heard that Friends would be staying after all, but I'm glad.  Not only do I have my annual Thanksgiving marathon of Thanksgiving episodes, but The One Where Ross Gets High is one of those episodes that I can watch on the crappiest of days and it will still make me laugh.

• Love 2