Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

Anyone watching the beginning of the Stanley Cup tonight? I don't know who to root for. Chicago used to be the Red Wings' enemy, but I know nothing about Tampa. I guess I'll just do what I always do and root for the team with the prettiest uniform.

Also, the post positions for the Belmont have been posted. Only 8 horses. I know I probably should be rooting for American Pharoah, but Frosted (the gray I rooted for in the KY Derby) is racing, and grays trump other horses for me.

Apparently, Rapunzel didn't get married until the Tangled Ever After sequel -- the movie just ends with her and Flynn together but not married.

The movie just ends with Rapunzel being reunited with her parents and showing that the royal guards are now armed with frying pans. There's a voiceover between Rapunzel and Eugene in which one of them mentions getting married, but the other corrects it to add that it was quite a while later. Didn't the movie take place around her 16th birthday (or was it 18?)? Either way, that's a bit young, so I remember being very pleased that they didn't end with the wedding and specifically mentioned that it was much later down the line.

It's actually rather clever of Disney to stop ending the movies with weddings or even a romantic resolution because it leaves the door open for sequels. Anna was paired up in Frozen, but there's still Elsa to find the right guy, and then Merida didn't want the arranged marriage in Brave and ended with no guy in sight, so there's room for a sequel in which she finds the guy she wants to marry. The other attempts at sequels in the fairy tale movies have been kind of lame, but by leaving the first one a little unresolved, and by giving the heroines goals other than finding men, they've got more opportunity. Since Rapunzel's goal was seeing more of the world, she can still do that with a guy at her side. If her goal is to meet a prince, there's not really anywhere to go with it after she gets him.

Tip: If you make your browser window narrower, those ads on the right side of the screen get bumped down to the bottom and (for the most part) out of your eyesight.

• Love 1

Tip: If you make your browser window narrower, those ads on the right side of the screen get bumped down to the bottom and (for the most part) out of your eyesight.

Oooh, thanks! 

Adblock also helps! I've managed to just block that stupid column. It was eating up to 30% of my laptop screen (my laptop is ancient and has a 14'' screen).

Um, yes. I didn't realized I could do this, but it worked! So much better.

Yea, on the computer it looks a little weird. On my tablet, it just drops them down to the bottom, which isn't too bad until I have to scroll past them to get back to the main board link.

• Love 1

Hoodlum -- Are you a Wings fan? I'm rooting for Tampa Bay because Steve Yzerman is their GM. Ah, the Cup Final! Love this time of year.

The Red Wings are my home state's team, so I root for them. I'm not really into sports, but hockey's okay. It's one of the least boring sports. I like how they're constantly moving around.

Anyways, Tampa had prettier uniforms. I liked that blue. Sadly, I was not a fan of the Tampa fans. Every single time the Blackhawks got their hands on the puck, the Tampa crowd would start booing quite loudly. It was very unsportsman-like. Man Tampa blew it at the end.

Ah, Michigan. I miss it. I think you have no other choice but to be a hockey fan when you live there so glad you kind of like it. :) The Tampa Bay fans actually aren't that bad. Wait until the series shifts to Chicago. Those fans can be vicious!

(edited)

I beg your pardon, but the Winged Wheel is nothing to sneeze at. ;) Actually, I love all the Original Six jerseys. So awesome and iconic and none of them involve ducks, which is nice.

Edited by sharky

Meanwhile I've gotten hooked on Bates Motel. Holy smokes, this show is so good! Heartily recommend it to anyone. You don't even need to care or know Psycho, I don't. The acting is phenomenal and the characters are simply brilliant.

Also, I'm really shipping one pairing and is on the verge of shipping another one, which is really really rare for me these days. Other than this, I watch like 20 shows and ship only 1 pairing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I watched the first season of Bates Motel, but I didn't pick it back up. I'm too much of an animal lover, and the taxidermy was too much for me. Very well-acted for sure, though!

Oh, bless, they've gone back to the old layout!

Edited by Souris
I watched the first season of Bates Motel, but I didn't pick it back up. I'm too much of an animal lover, and the taxidermy was too much for me. Very well-acted for sure, though!

I wouldn't say it's present that much, imho. It does bother me too, but everything is so great that I had to overlook it. Season 3 is the best one, I think, and there are 2 left. Can't wait. This is a rare show that manages to both engage me emotionally and intellectually (as a study of human psychology and dysfunctional relationships). I'm a sucker for dysfunction in characters and relationships, but I need for them to be somehow rootable/relatable to keep me interested. Bates Motel succeeds in this.

I love Bates Motel so dang much! So much great acting, so much strange, interesting atmosphere. Norma Bates is, to me, one of the great TV characters of the TV Golden Age. She could have so easily been written as just the monster who created Norman Bates, but she is so much more complex than that. Vera really does need, in fact, all of the awards. Everyone should give it a shot. 

And now I've learned it still hasn't been renewed and I'm frustrated. Stupid system. I was all elated in May when all my shows were renewed, even such long shots as Galavant! And now there is this show which is totally up there among my currently favorite, that's in danger of cancellation, apparently. 

Is it in danger of cancellation or just hasn't been renewed because of its scheduling? If it's on a cable network and doesn't have a typical Sept-May run, it would make sense to not have a renewal announcement yet.

I don't watch many cable shows, especially basic cable, so I've no idea how their business model works - do they care only about ratings, is critical success important to them, does streaming matter... But they say that the show was renewed for season 3 way before season 2 has finished its run, this is why I'm so worried.

Saw Flogging Molly live last night. They are so much freaking fun. Y'all should go see them if you can. Their lead singer, Dave King, is legit a real, live leprechaun. I am convinced of this.

In other news, today is the Belmont Stakes. Kinda a BIG DEAL. If any horse has had a legit live shot at the Triple Crown, it's American Paroah. So watch it live, everyone. History in the making this afternoon. *so excited I could puke rn*

• Love 2

I don't watch many cable shows, especially basic cable, so I've no idea how their business model works - do they care only about ratings, is critical success important to them, does streaming matter... But they say that the show was renewed for season 3 way before season 2 has finished its run, this is why I'm so worried.

Critical success can play a bigger role than the networks, but ratings are the end all for them as well. Interesting that they announced the renewal for the last season so early. TVbytheNumbers is a great site when it comes to ratings, particularly analysis for shows' chances.

I don't know horses well, so I could be misreading it entirely, but there's something about the way American Pharaoh runs that gives me the impression that he's thinking "Wheeeeee!" He seemed to be radiating sheer glee as he ran today, like he was just doing this for fun.

(edited)

I think I'm going to die of happiness.  What an amazing colt.  What a freaking awesome race.  Let me tell you guys something.  The Belmont is THE KILLER.  It's the longest those boys will ever have to run, and on the deepest, sandiest track in the nation.  That final quarter mile has brutally murdered countless Triple Crown hopes.  What I saw today was amazing.  Shanna, you are so right.  These horses love to run, and Pharoah proves it over and over again.  The hardest race of his life, and he looked more than game for another lap.  Un-freaking-believable.  To finally be able to witness a Triple Crown in my lifetime, after loving and living this sport for a great majority of my life, is one of my greatest dreams come true.  I just?!?!?  I'm praying the Zyats run him at least through the end of the year.  This horse is once in a lifetime.  Let him demolish the track some more.  Let's shoot for legendary.  

Rewatch the Belmont

If this isn't a photo of a horse that's loving life, I don't know what is:

AmPharoahARKDERB2015.jpg

Edited by Lieutenant
  • Love 3

Critical success can play a bigger role than the networks, but ratings are the end all for them as well. Interesting that they announced the renewal for the last season so early. TVbytheNumbers is a great site when it comes to ratings, particularly analysis for shows' chances.

Oh of course I know about TVBN, but they mostly do broadcast shows.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's a dark, rainy day today! I've been working on "The Entertainer" piano piece (Alfred's basic/easy level). I played it well this morning but I keep falling apart now. :( I'm still so proud of myself. 4 years ago I could only play a grade school level song with one hand. I never fathomed a day where I could play piano with 2 hands (although it still doesn't sound all that great).I lack hands made for piano-ing.

Anyone catch the hockey game last night? I missed the first two periods (where they all managed to score a bunch) because we had a campfire after the Belmont.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's a dark, rainy day today! I've been working on "The Entertainer" piano piece (Alfred's basic/easy level). I played it well this morning but I keep falling apart now. :( I'm still so proud of myself. 4 years ago I could only play a grade school level song with one hand. I never fathomed a day where I could play piano with 2 hands (although it still doesn't sound all that great).I lack hands made for piano-ing.

Anyone catch the hockey game last night? I missed the first two periods (where they all managed to score a bunch) because we had a campfire after the Belmont.

I used to play "The Entertainer" too. I suspect it was the easy version. Another favorite is "Moonlight Sonata." It isn't too hard once you work out the notes. I mean the first movement only, of course! Edited by OnceUponAJen

I desperately want to learn to play the piano. I begged my parents for lessons when I was a kid, even taught myself to read music with the little toy piano I had. But back then electronic keyboards weren't so readily available, and we moved every couple of years (military family), so a real piano wasn't such a great idea. I ended up eventually playing flute and oboe and singing. I have a keyboard, and I've made a few stabs at learning the piano. I can play well enough to play my choir music to practice my part. Oddly, being really advanced in some wind instruments and singing is actually making it harder to learn the piano because I don't read the bass clef at a glance and I'm not using to having to deal with more than one note at a time. My brain will see a piece of music and think "easy" but that doesn't translate to my hands, or I can zoom along on the treble part but not be able to keep up with the bass. Someone suggested I ignore the treble for a while and just learn to play the left hand until it catches up and I'm better at reading that clef. That might keep me from giving up in frustration. I also want to learn to play Celtic harp, so I'll have something portable I can sing with. The harp is about the only string instrument I can play without pain. I don't form calluses very well, and not at all on my hands, so my attempt to learn guitar fizzled. I was actually getting pretty good, but it was too painful and the teacher finally told me I should stop when I never got calluses and just kept bleeding. I am a delicate flower, I guess. But you don't have to put the same kind of pressure on harp strings, and I've played around some on a friend's harp without pain.

And then I would need another twelve hours in each day to learn and practice music. Or I guess I could dial back my Internet discussion.

(edited)
I desperately want to learn to play the piano. I begged my parents for lessons when I was a kid, even taught myself to read music with the little toy piano I had.

Haha, when I was 6 my parents forced me to go to something that's called a "music school" in my country solely because we actually owned a piano. I hated it. I made it to year 8 (6 years of proper classes twice per week + 2 years spent on preparation), 1 year before the finals, and then quit because I really didn't give a damn. It would have probably worked much better if they've focused my musical education on something like guitar. And anyway, I've forgotten almost everything because I don't have any practice. 

Edited by FurryFury

I think I've been spending too much time on this board. Last night I had a dream where I met Colin, and all I did was complain about all the plot issues on OUAT. I remember using as an example the time when Hook had his hand restored, and then lost it again without much discussion. I thought he would agree with me, but instead he got uncharacteristically angry and annoyed, and walked away. So I followed him into another room, and was like Who do you think you are? I don't expect you to talk to the writers about these issues, I'm just trying to have a discussion with you. Anyway, it was not the type of Colin dream I would have wanted! LOL

• Love 3

I remember having an OUAT dream ages ago when I still cared about this show (sorry, but season 4 has killed all my goodwill and stomped on its corpse). Sadly, I don't remember it anymore. I think I've posted about it either here or even on TWOP but it's impossible to find that comment anymore.

I think I've been spending too much time on this board. Last night I had a dream where I met Colin, and all I did was complain about all the plot issues on OUAT.

Well. I've been thinking too much about landscaping because I woke up and found that the bag of seed I'd used to fill in the spots of Bermuda that had died was the wrong type and I was going to have to confess to the landscaper what I'd done, and that now I needed him to re sod the whole side of the yard.  I was distraught at how much getting rid of the six foot tall fescue was going to cost.  Then I woke up and despite knowing that six foot tall fescue doesn't exist, I checked to make sure there was no other grass encroaching on the Bermuda.

• Love 1

I didn't watch it myself, but my very small nephew (just five) repeatedly came over to where I was talking to his mom, to report to me what the score was, and how upset he was that the Blackhawks were behind.

I had an awesome ouat dream once. It may have not been a "complete" dream (some of the dream sequences kinda jumped around, so it reminded me of a poorly edited show), but it was awesome none the less.

It took place in the EF and was Hunchback of Notre Dame themed (so EF Paris), complete with the epic music. Oddly enough, Belle and Rumple weren't part of it (I think they were elsewhere doing who knows what). It was just Snowing, Captain Swan, Regina and the Hunchback cast. Going into detail would take too long, but I'll tell you guys a chunk of it just 'cause I can.

One of my favorite parts of the dream I remember was basically a version of the Hellfire sequence of him calling upon the powers of darkness, except instead of regular ol' flames, they were dark swirly flames (so basically black fire). Frollo was enveloped by them and that was how he got his magic power (he was non-magical up until then).

Other bits: Hook was going to get burned at the stake along with Esmeralda and Regina (who somehow got magic-cuffed) for helping the gypsies fight against frollo and for being a pirate (Regina cause she was a witch). Snowing was in the crowd trying to figure out how to rescue them.

Emma got to use her awesome magic to battle against magic Frollo.

And to top it off; Frollo was Jeremy Irons.

It was the best and only Ouat dream I've ever had, and it happened before 3b.

I don't think I dream as often as I used to, or at least I don't remember them as much any more. I used to have some crazy dreams.

I thought he would agree with me, but instead he got uncharacteristically angry and annoyed, and walked away. So I followed him into another room, and was like Who do you think you are? I don't expect you to talk to the writers about these issues, I'm just trying to have a discussion with you.

Hee! In reality, he'd probably take it as a relief that someone actually wanted to discuss the show rather than it being some rabid Swan Queener calling him a rapist and homophobe for playing a character in a relationship with a woman or one of the lunatic fringe of the Captain Swanners who's convinced that he's really in love with Jen and on the verge of leaving his wife for her. Though I guess it would be uncomfortable to get into the writing flaws when it would be a bad idea for him to publicly criticize the writing, even if he agrees.

My main OUAT dream that I recall came during last summer, when I dreamed that Regina made a deal with Rumple for him to get rid of Marian for her in a way that made it look like an accident she clearly had nothing to do with. Rumple lured Marian to the top of a cliff and shoved her over -- all while Regina was safely and very publicly on the other side of town. Except Hook had seen Regina and Rumple scheming and had followed Rumple, so he knew what was going on, and then Rumple caught him watching, stabbed him with his sword, and then healed it, but said if he told anyone, the healing would be undone and he would die.

I guess I was somewhat prescient in seeing Hook essentially being held hostage by Rumple against himself and in predicting that someone would die by falling off a cliff.

(edited)

I had a dream that magic had been taken away from Storybrooke and Snowing attempted to bring it back using some mystical torch thing. It's ironic that we're always talking about how dependent Regina and Rumple are on magic, yet I'm not sure how Snow and Charming would ever live without it constantly saving their butts... but I digress.

Edited by KingOfHearts