Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: a.k.a. 'The Meet Market'

• Start Topic

Is anyone else watching Netflix's Daredevil?! Because I just finished ep 11, and it ended so perfectly, and holy shit, and IT'S ABOUT TIME THAT HAPPENED!! This show is such a breath of fresh air after having to struggle through OUAT's hot mess going on in this half season (much as it pains me to say).

Me! I have, Lieutenant, and I really enjoyed it. It's funny because I had been staying away from OUAT for a while and in the interim watched Daredevil. I just recently got somewhat caught back up with OUAT, and dear jeebus, what a slap in the face to go from Daredevil back to OUAT. Don't get me wrong, there are characters I still love and adore on OUAT (okay, just two characters), but Daredevil blows OUAT out of the water, as far as I'm concerned (especially the current season of OUAT).

The characters they've written in Daredevil are morally conflicted and as such they are allowed to explore and deal with that conflict. The show takes full advantage of the TV series format and gives the characters room to breathe and deal with their emotional realities. There are consequences to their actions and those consequences ripple outward and affect the other characters and the direction of the entire show. The writers also use flashbacks wisely instead of as a gimmick. Daredevil isn't married to the use flashbacks like the OUAT writers are, so when they use them its with purpose -- to give insight to the character's headspace -- and it creates a cohesive narrative instead of 3 separate stories being told at the same time with no clear connection.

And OMG, another highlight of Daredevil, I had almost forgotten what it was like to get emotional pay-off in a show! I missed you, emotional pay-off. It had been so long since I'd gotten any emotional pay-off on a TV show it was beginning to slip into legend. Daredevil sets up storyline after storyline and pays it off with interest.

Now, Daredevil isn't a perfect show (because no TV show is) and I don't think it's for everyone because it is rather violent, but speaking for myself, I'm extremely pleased with what they've done and I'm really looking forward to season 2. Honestly, Daredevil is everything I hoped Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and ONCE would be. 

My hope watching/hate watching is over. It's officially been announced that Revenge has been cancelled. It was pretty obvious considering how they were wrapping up storylines, but I'm glad this show is being put out of its misery now.

• Love 1

Dropped it back in season 1. I happened to ship a pairing that was definitively sunk by word of God, so as soon as I've realized the show was quickly becoming crap (the episode after midseason finale), I was out. I did love Emanda, though, she was a rather fresh lead for a network show. Scheming yet likable protagonists are hard to find on TV.

• Love 1

News seems more palatable with an English accent.

Or they don't show as much bias like other news networks who say they're doing the news but are really just spewing some serious garbage propaganda and have adhered to the whole let's misinform people instead of really informing them and bringing these "experts" who aren't experts on anything really.

Edited by YaddaYadda

Anyone excited for/ watching the Kentucky Oaks and Derby today and tomorrow?

We watched the post assignment 2 days ago. One horse has already been scratched but replaced. 20 horses is a big field though, so I'm expecting some bumping. Hopefully it's not too rough of a start.

Our family always picks out horses and call to swap picks. I'm shallow and will usually choose a gray if there is one. I don't really care about the stats.

We always have our traditional strawberry shortcake and mint shakes (our "mint juleps") too, so that's a plus.

In other news:

I've been working on a birdhouse made from a gourd. I painted the cheshire cat on it, and I'm semi-proud of it (I only spent half a day on it). I think I'll share a pick of it tomorrow. It could have been better, but painting isn't my strong suit.

We've been having fun watching all the birds getting ready for nesting. My mom made a house for Robins and one for chickadees (the size of the hole is the only difference). I also made one for a Robin, but it turned out pretty ugly. My brother and his girlfriend are making some too!

And to top it all off, today is our cat S'more's 18th birthday. His age is starting to catch up with him.

Sorry for the rambling, I'll go throw a few more votes Colin's way now.

• Love 1

Oh, man, Sharky!  I thought it was going to be your team against my team, but if it's any consolation, my team sucked against that other team this season, so I'm guessing my team will be booted out sooner rather than later.

• Love 1

Ha! Yes, I have had to console myself with writing and reading hockey fanfic. Sniff. Although as a Red Wings fan, I just have to keep thinking that at least our playoff streak stayed in place and we barely got in this year so... Oh well. Rooting for the other Original Six teams and the Canadian teams so you're all good! :)

Tomorrow is definitely going to be interesting. The Derby is always fun to watch, but I'm also excited about the boxing match tomorrow night. I'm not really a boxing fan, but the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight has been hyped as a possible blockbuster for soooo many years. So I'm actually excited to see how it all ends up.

(edited)

Omg- horse racing is my life. So yes, totally pumped for the Dreby, as always. It's a rather evenly talented field this year, so there will definitely be money to be made with just some simple exacta and trifecta wagers. I gotta cheer for the WinStar farm's colt, Carpe Diem. I love that farm. They are good people, and breed some outstanding racers.

Anyone see the Jimmy Fallon puppy predictor for the Derby? It was hilarious (and actually a pretty probable outcome, lol!).

Edited by Lieutenant
(edited)

Who did the puppies predict to win?

I might take Carpe Diem just cause of his awesome name. Bob Baffert's horses are always a safe option. Although, American Pharoah doesn't have a very good post position. Dortmund has a decent spot at the 7th/8th post (they got shifted over a spot with the recent scratch, right?) I worry that Dortmund might get squished at the start, being in the middle of the pack and all, but then I remember he's humungous, so the other horses will just bounce right off him.

Thanks for posting the Mint Julep recipe, OnceUponAJen! We tried Mint Juleps once. My mom did not care for whiskey at all though; my dad had to finish her drink. Lol.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I always try to watch the Derby, and I should be home between two events to see it, but I enjoy it purely on the "ooh, pretty horsies" level. There's a racetrack near me, and I keep saying I want to go, just to watch the horses. I don't gamble at all, but a running horse is literally poetry in motion.

My pick is usually either the prettiest horse or the jockey who seems cool.

No drinks for me, as I'll be driving across town immediately afterward.

Who did the puppies predict to win?

I might take Carpe Diem just cause of his awesome name. Bob Baffert's horses are always a safe option. Although, American Pharoah doesn't have a very good post position. Dortmund has a decent spot at the 7th/8th post (they got shifted over a spot with the recent scratch, right?) I worry that Dortmund might get squished at the start, being in the middle of the pack and all, but then I remember he's humungous, so the other horses will just bounce right off him.

Thanks for posting the Mint Julep recipe, OnceUponAJen! We tried Mint Juleps once. My mom did not care for whiskey at all though; my dad had to finish her drink. Lol.

Have you tried honey whiskey? She might find it more palatable. :)

(edited)

^No, we haven't. We've only made them once. Is the honey whiskey smoother (did I use that lingo right?)

I usually pick the prettiest horse, or the one with the coolest name and even sometimes the jockey colors. I don't have as much knowledge compared to my mom's family though. My great grandfather used to have horses, so they have all that horse knowledge.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
(edited)

I used to take riding lessons a long time ago, but my horse knowledge stops at about that level. Don't know much about horses themselves or racing, but I can at least post at a trot and only really fell off once while riding bareback :)

I find the honey whiskey smoother, yes!

Edited by OnceUponAJen
  • Love 1

I usually watch the Derby every year, but I'll be at a beer festival getting sloshed this year instead! I always pick the horse to root for based on the name. (If there's a cat-related one, that's the one I pick.)

• Love 1

Puppy Predictor liked American Pharaoh.  I'd say he's the closest to a sure bet you'll find.  He did get a tough post draw, but at least he's not stuck way the hell out there like my poor Far Right (I love the Oaklawn runners.  They are our "midwest" stars).  The only drawback to Carpe Diem is his history on a dirt track - he's done an awful lot of his winning on synthetic.  However, I think that he'll make the switch just fine.  Looks like Frosted is your "pretty pony" gray to cheer for, Hoodlum ;-)

(edited)

I just looked at the field. I may have picked American Pharaoh based on names, since I like Egyptology. But since he's a "sure bet" and I don't want to appear like I'm just glomming onto that ;), I'll pick another. I want to pick Ocho Ocho Ocho, since my former neighbors had a cat named Ocho. So that's my cat-related name, LOL! But he's in position 1, which is awful. Oh, what the heck, I'll pick Ocho Ocho Ocho.

Edited by Souris
(edited)

Looks like Frosted is your "pretty pony" gray to cheer for, Hoodlum ;-)

Oohhh! I like that name!

*Wooh!!! Frosted got 4th! Good race! My mom's pick and my brother's pick beat me though (Firing Line and Dortmund).

Edited by HoodlumSheep

Well, I shall never doubt Jimmy Fallon's puppy predictors again - bawhaha!

Seriously though, Pharoah put in a classy win.  I had my doubts about his tenacity since he'd never really been collared in the stretch before, but he was definitely the better horse today.  What a gutsy second place from Firing Line.  If I were his owners, I'd be over the moon.  I'm excited about the chances of a triple crown this year.  There's no one I'd trust more to get Pharoah prepared than Bob Baffert.  And this colt is bred to go the distance in the Belmont.  Let's hope the racing gods are smiling on us this year! *crosses fingers*

• Love 2
(edited)

He'lllo all, Currently posting drunk from a beer festival waiting for nachos served on a garbage can lid. For reals.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 4

It was a good night. I went to a friend's birthday party, and she had an Irish folk singer she's friends with performing, so it was like being in our own Irish pub in her living room. I couldn't help but think of Colin's band playing a couple of weeks ago -- there we had a bunch of Irish guys playing American music in a pub in Ireland, and here we had a bunch of Texans listening to Irish music. And if you want to hear an interesting accent, take a guy who grew up near Galway speaking Gaelic and not learning English until adulthood and then have him spend about 30 years living in Louisiana and Texas.

Now I'm off to go house hunting. I'd decided to put off the whole house selling/buying/moving thing until later this year, but on Friday I got a letter from someone making a cash offer to buy my house (that isn't even on the market). So now I'm going to a couple of open houses to start seeing what's out there so I can figure out what to do about this. I really would rather wait, but then again the offer made it seem like the timing was flexible, and it would be nice to know the house was sold while I have time to find what I really want. The trick is that things sell instantly right now, and I don't want to leave my neighborhood.

• Love 2
(edited)

It was a good night. I went to a friend's birthday party, and she had an Irish folk singer she's friends with performing, so it was like being in our own Irish pub in her living room. I couldn't help but think of Colin's band playing a couple of weeks ago -- there we had a bunch of Irish guys playing American music in a pub in Ireland, and here we had a bunch of Texans listening to Irish music. And if you want to hear an interesting accent, take a guy who grew up near Galway speaking Gaelic and not learning English until adulthood and then have him spend about 30 years living in Louisiana and Texas.

Oh how cool Shanna Marie! A friend of mine has a friend who's a Celtic singer over from Scotland every year. He comes to the US and makes a few local stops while he's touring. He's a lot of fun, and it's nice having a small concert of sorts at her home. I think I've gone for the last 7 years or so and it's always wonderful.

Wow....sounds like your move was meant to be! I sold my house for cash the last time I moved. It sure makes things go smoothly! Good luck.

Edited by OnceUponAJen

After going to a couple of open houses, I've decided to stick to my original timeline. I have a potentially big career turning point coming this summer that could change things a lot. The houses in my current price range aren't really what I want, and I'd hate to buy something now and then learn I could afford a lot more. The houses I looked at are only bigger than the current house because they have more rooms. The rooms themselves are so tiny, much smaller than in the current house. And the market is so hot that they're getting four offers on any house the first day it goes on the market.

So I may let the person who wrote me know that the house will be for sale later in the year but not now and see what they say.

What's scary is when there is an open floor plan, and the big open area that's supposed to be dining room, living room, and a kind of den/family room is smaller than my current living room, and I don't have a big house. I guess technically my living room is a combined living/dining room, but there's nothing to divide the room, and the "dining room" is adjacent to (and open to) a kitchen breakfast nook, so I've just used the breakfast nook as dining room and used the whole living/dining space as a living room. But still, my living area is nice and big and open, and bigger than anything in these bigger houses. At least, in the ones I've looked at. I've learned that you need to mentally resize anything in an online real estate listing because the photos make the house look huge, and the rooms in reality are about half the size they look in the photos.

One house, it looked like there was a huge formal living room in the front of the house and then a nice-sized den at the back. I'd mentally put my sofa and the piano I hope to buy someday in the front room and had decided that a sectional would fit in the den, for cozy TV watching. It turns out my sofa wouldn't have fit into either room. A piano would be out of the question. And yet somehow this house was twice the square footage of my current house. It's like a reverse TARDIS -- instead of the inside being bigger than the outside, there's much less house inside than there appears to be from the outside.

• Love 1

Ah yes, house hunting. We did this two years ago and ended up with new construction because we couldn't find anything else we liked. It does not bode well for if and when we move again -- my husband is definitely more picky than I am. Would you be against perhaps selling and renting a place month-to-month with some of your things in storage to wait and see what you can find?

(edited)

My last house sold just a couple of hours after putting it on the market. I was moving out of state, but I expected some time to find a new place (my company provided me with temporary housing), so this was a huge wrinkle in the move. Since I was already gone and the new people were looking to move ASAP, we closed in less than a month and that meant I had to get my stuff out and store it somewhere. That was a mess. You can rent a storage garage really cheap, but I would have needed to pay movers to move everything from my house to the storage facility and then from storage and across the country to my new home. PODS was crazy expensive for even just a couple months of storage (and they don't offer service where I live currently). I am not a fan of the storage route unless you don't have much stuff or have a lot of friends who want to help you move multiple times. I ultimately ended up renting a tractor trailer, paid a truck driver friend to haul it and parked the trailer in my parents' pasture for a few months until I had a place to put it all. The horses apparently really loved the trailer since it provided shade and kept some of the flies away, so they got a bonus. Then I paid the trucking company to haul it cross country. Interestingly, it was cheaper to hire movers at both ends, rent the trailer for three months and pay the trucking company to haul it than it would have been to just pay the moving company to only load, transport and unload. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
Would you be against perhaps selling and renting a place month-to-month with some of your things in storage to wait and see what you can find?

I don't know where I'd find anything to rent month-to-month, aside from an extended stay hotel kind of place. The apartments all require 6-month leases, and there are no rental houses that I've seen. But the main issue is that now would be a really, really bad time for me to try to move. I'm coming up on some stuff that could be a real career turning point, so I need to be focused on that for the next couple of months. So I've decided to wait until after that. Then not only will my life be a little easier, but I may have a better sense of what my finances will be for the next year or so. It's the kind of thing where, if I do it right, will really be a boost. In the meantime, I can keep going to open houses. Since it's all subdivisions around here, going to one or two houses in a neighborhood gives a good sense of what the rest of the neighborhood will be like. And I can gradually work on getting everything organized so moving will be easier when it happens.

• Love 1

iZombie just got renewed for season 2, yay! So now I'm only in need of renewals for Agent Carter and Person of Interest. Especially Agent Carter. PoI is good, but I don't have any emotional attachment to the characters, while AC is all around awesome.

I'm also cheering for Agents of SHIELD, but I'm not in any worry, its renewal is almost guaranteed.

I really want Fresh Off the Boat, Agent Carter and Forever to be renewed (though I'll be shocked as hell if the latter is). If I could pick only one, it'd be FOTB.

Right now, I'd be willing to sacrifice Once to keep Forever. That's my happy place show. I love all the characters, I love their relationships, I love the way the show has let all the relationships develop organically over time and has given them room to breathe. Yeah, there's a case, but the writers seem to recognize that what keeps viewers coming back is the regular characters and their interactions. Instead of coming out of each episode frustrated, I have a big case of the warm fuzzies. I think I like the potential of Once more than I like the show itself. Of course, I'd prefer to have both, and I'm not the one who gets to choose.

• Love 1

Right now, I'd be willing to sacrifice Once to keep Forever. 

Sacrebleu!  The Sheriff of the Enchanted Forest is not pleased.

I actually considered watching "Forever", but I've been burned too often by shows lasting a season or less and then being cancelled.  It seemed slightly too procedural.  The trashy soap "Ringer" sort of ruined Ioan Gruffudd for me.  I didn't realize the series turned out to be good!  I'll keep my eye out for it then.

• Love 1

As much as I love Ioan, I don't think I could pick Forever over Once, mainly because of Hook. Even if it's just a few minutes of screen time a week. I've got it bad. Can't I have both though? And now I'm picturing Ioan in his Hornblower naval costume, and Colin in his Lt. Jones costume, sailing together. sigh

I didn't realize the series turned out to be good!

I wouldn't say it's super high-quality television, but it's been the bright spot of this season for me, the only show that hasn't ended up disappointing me. I actually wasn't planning to watch it, and probably wouldn't have because the regular timeslot is a time when I'm never home, but they ran the first part of the pilot on a different night, and it's on the channel where I usually watch the news, so I generally switch back to that channel after whatever else I'm watching. I guess I was watching Sleepy Hollow (another show that took a nosedive this season -- I swear, there was a Writers Guild suicide pact), and I hate the news that comes on afterward on that station, so I flipped over to ABC just as Forever was starting, and I was knitting and wanted to finish the row I was working on, so I didn't turn it off, and next thing I knew, I was hooked. There is a procedural quality to it because there's a case of the week, but it's mostly about the relationships, where there's the immortal character, who's a younger man, and his adopted son, who's now an old man, and they have a very fun relationship where sometimes the son plays father to the dad and looks after him, but then there are times when the old man will whine, "But Daaaaaaad," to the younger man.  They also use flashbacks of the immortal character's past to parallel the current cases. And there's been a lovely very subtle romantic development as two characters become friends, develop a strong trust and affection, and then gradually realize that they're developing other feelings.

Ah, Shanna Marie, I didn't know you were a Forever fan, too! It's such an enjoyable show, and I love all the characters. But I sadly don't see it getting picked up because the ratings just aren't there. Ioan has been on my laminated list since Horatio Hornblower, so Hook in Horatio-era costume was like a dream and made me giddy. Ioan seems to love Forever and his castmates so much. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding out much hope. I did think the season finale worked pretty well for a series finale if ends up that way.

The only new shows I tried this season were "Gotham", "Fresh Off The Boat" and "Galavant".  "Gotham" has already been picked up, and hopefully "Fresh Off The Boat" will be.  That's good to know the season finale of "Forever" would serve as a satisfactory series finale.  That has definitely not been the case with many sci-fi type shows I've gotten into and then cancellation occurred.

(edited)

I'll only watch Forever if it gets renewed. I'm not big on procedurals, I've even basically dropped Elementary this year because of the complete absence of an arc post-Kitty, and that show can actually be really good (but it's very much hampered by its format). With shows like Forever, I think they could work for me if I binge, but not on a weekly basis - too slow.

Overall, this year has been fantastic in terms of TV, so it's nice to have a choice what to watch. My favorite new show of the season is probably Agent Carter, however, and I'm really worried about it. But at least it worked very well as a mini-series and had a great finale.

As for Once, I don't even care anymore. I'm probably out after the finale, 4B has run the show into the ground for me. Maybe I'd stay if I were a shipper, but I'm not and they've ruined my favorite character, Emma. I have zero desire to watch her with Regina or Lily and further destroy herself.

Edited by FurryFury

Put me down as another person that LOVED Agent Carter and hopes it gets a second series. Fingers crossed!

I've been pretty "meh" about my shows being cancelled so far this year. Revenge got the ax and I'm fine with that -- the quality has gone down after the first season and it sounds like they had enough warning that they'll have a series finale. They've been doing a decent job of wrapping storylines up anyway.Then The Mindy Project got cut. Again, I liked it, but I don't mind seeing it go. Mindy is amazing, the show was funny, but it just seemed to be getting stale, and I really didn't like the pregnancy storyline they decided to go with. So that's another "I guess I'll miss you."

I think one of the other reasons I'm so "meh" about these is because I'm getting really excited about my shows going off the air for awhile so I can catch up on my DVR. Seriously, it's going to be a rough summer without Once, but I will more than manage. I'm more than a season behind on Game of Thrones, I still haven't started Fargo and Ken Burns' Roosevelts documentary -- both have been sitting on my DVR for more than a year, and then I found this cable station called Pop (I think). They just started running Dynasty! I've never seen the show, but people compared it to Revenge when it first came on, so I've been hoarding episodes and I'm really excited to get started on it. Something is wrong with me, I know.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've dropped Mindy soon after the start of season 3. I feel like this show suffered from the so-called "Shipping Bed Death" phenomenon. In its core, it is a romantic comedy. Romantic comedies deal with stuff like falling in love, searching for love, breaking up - not with established relationships and having children (although I quit before the pregnancy reveal). It should have ended with s2 finale, imho.

So far, the only cancellation that I was mildly upset with was Selfie, which really wasn't given a chance. It was pretty funny and didn't have any resolution.Revenge became awful in the middle of s1, so it's high time for it to go away (and I really hope there won't be a happy ending for Emanda and Jack, I never liked him, this romance felt so forced for me).

If anyone's wondering what to catch up on, I think this year has had a great crop of shows. The 100 and Agents of SHIELD had much improved 2nd seasons, Daredevil and Agent Carter are very good comic-related shows (there's also The Flash, but I'm really meh on it), iZombie is pretty great so far (and very fun), Jane The Virgin is hilarious and had  a stellar 13 episodes run (after that, not so much, but still very funny), I'm hearing good things about Bates Motel (maybe I'll watch it) and Salem, and then Penny Dreadful has just came back. Also, s4 of Homeland is a clear rebound from last season's mess and has some of the most suspenseful episodes I've seen in a while. Parks and Recreation had a great farewell season and will be sorely missed (although Brooklyn Nine Nine is a good enough replacement). And I'm definitely forgetting something, too.

Edited by FurryFury

I enjoyed Daredevil though I had to turn my head away several times during the fight scenes or that horrifying scene, you know the one...I'm sure.

Gotham has been absolutely enjoyable and I have to say that the casting department from that show did an unbelievable job.  Fresh off the Boat is funny, Black-ish is pretty hilarious.  I dropped Agents of Shield because I absolutely hate Skye, so there is no chance I will go back to that show, ever.  

iZombie is Veronica Mars but with a Zombie instead, but I really, really enjoy it.  I really love the characters, like all of them which never happens to me.  I'm gonna wait for season 3 of Arrow to hit Netflix before catching up.  I binge watch, then I forget about it.  I'll do the same with The Flash.

If you guys haven't been watching Veep, all I have to say is that you're missing out on something pretty good.

The TV in my place is background noise mostly.  Once is literally the only show I drop everything to watch, everything else is Hulu or on Demand (not Veep or GoT.  I watch those live, but I'm usually doing other stuff at the same time.)

Gotham has been absolutely enjoyable and I have to say that the casting department from that show did an unbelievable job.  Fresh off the Boat is funny, Black-ish is pretty hilarious.  I dropped Agents of Shield because I absolutely hate Skye, so there is no chance I will go back to that show, ever.

My opinion is completely opposite, Gotham is awful, the worst comic book show on air by far. I do enjoy reading AVClub reviews and especially the comments.

AoS has become MUCH better in season 2. I never really got the Skye hate, though, but I feel like she's much better now, too.

The TV in my place is background noise mostly.  Once is literally the only show I drop everything to watch, everything else is Hulu or on Demand (not Veep or GoT.  I watch those live, but I'm usually doing other stuff at the same time.)

I watch everything on my laptop. We haven't used our TV for years (not that I could watch US shows here, well maybe they do show some, but dubbed and likely years after they are out) and actually threw it away for good last week.