Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion: The apple was poisoned?!

• Start Topic

(edited)

Killian who?

Evanna is totally Hook's grandmother or aunt. Because you know - A&E are geniuses when it comes to irony.

Who cares about Rumples mother? Anyone? Anyone?

We probably would have cared more in 3A or even early 3B when Rumple's story wasn't 100% doomed and over with. They should have just killed Rumple off in the S4 finale and let Carlyle leave with some dignity.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Well, I'm in to minority I so so much prefer a Rumple flashback over any boring Regina soapy one.

So,it is a ok news for me. Could indicate that 5a will not be just about Regin and how she will save Emma, because she is just such a great friend.

But, not one I'm giggly over because that will be the day for

1 Emma flasback about how she become a bailwoman after her jail time

2 Any Killian's story about his parents or chilhood, it is a joke that we know basically more about any vilain of the day than the heroine true love in a fairytale show.

Evanna is totally Hook's grandmother or aunt. Because you know - A&E are geniuses when it comes to irony.

They're probably trying to come up with a way to make that family connection some way, somehow.  Hook would then be related to Bae and Henry.  

You know Rumple's mother ran, leaving wee Rumple with his loser dad.  She ran into a dashing pirate/sailor who showed her adventure and gave her a great life before she died.  Rumple murdering Milah was also his ultimate revenge against the mother who left him.

• Love 5

Hm, it doesn't seem she'll be portraying any fairy tale character we know of. I guess she's going to be original "villain". I still don't understand how she could be a Big Bad without it being very ridiculous.

I HATE the idea of Emma becoming a villain -- for something she did as a sacrifice (and especially with them throwing in the line about not letting it happen to Regina, because ugh). What do you bet that in spite of her doing it out of good motives as a sacrifice, she's portrayed as less sympathetic than Rumple? The need to cast his mother suggests we're up for yet another poor woobie villain story, while the good person is vilified.

• Love 4

I am so afraid of vilain Dark Emma just because it's this show and those writer.

There so going to undermine their main character without even care about it as long it keep going the Regina and Rumple are just victims of bad childwood.

Emma will be seing more evil these two at the end by most people I just feels it.

And it does look like that her immediate family and boyfriend won't have a greater role in getting her back to the good side.

So, Rumple will have is own sl plus helping Dark Emma and Regina too will have saving Emma and the baby stuff.

The Charming clan including Hook will just have the Dark Emma when she remembered them.

• Love 1

I agree with those above who said we'll see a flashback when Rumple's mother left them.  We better all stock up on tissues.  I'm more curious about the two old women who raised Rumple.  

• Love 2

http://www.people.com/article/jennifer-morrison-research-once-upon-time-season-5-dark-emma

"Star Jennifer Morrison says she and showrunners Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz are "creating a villain that has never existed" – with a little help from fairy tales of yore."

"In order to build Dark Emma, I've been doing a bunch of research there with some of their mythology books and old fairy tale books and just looking back through the history of swans and the etymology of 'Swan,' "

I went down a google rabbit hole.  My only knowledge of this topic prior to this was an episode of TBBT.

So I was thinking that styling wise they will definitely go with a swan maiden look, white shiny and feathery, like Rumpel got the gold glitter crocodile.  Also, a lot of parallels can be drawn between the garment/feathers/wings that tend to be stolen from the swan maiden to control her and the Dark One's dagger.

Then google happened.  There is a book called "Three Hearts and Three Lions" that has a swan maiden and Morgana Le Fay in it (plus dwarfs, faeries, dragons, etc.).  This book heavily inspired a game where you create your own character.  5A is either Camelot or Dungeons and Dragons. 

Just no to a musical episode.  That's what Galavant is for.

I might've missed it, but I'm not sure where JMo says that Emma becomes a villain.  I took what she said as Emma really struggling with everything, from her abandonment issues that she carried her whole life, whatever abuse she's gone through into a moment in her life where what she has become is tarnished by this.  I don't know how much she knows about what's going down, but it sounds like an emotional journey for Emma as opposed to a her being dark or a villain for the sake of being that.

(edited)

I'm on my phone and I can't quote, but she says that they (A&E and herself) are creating a villain that doesn't exist and later that villains are fun to play, and that is fun to have something new. All this sounds to me like they are going the "Dark Emma is a villain" route and not the "Emma struggles to overcome the darkness but she is still herself" route. But maybe is just me.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 3

I think you can actually go both routes. Emma can be a villain, particularly wherever she is now that she's disappeared to somewhere. She can also struggle to overcome her villainous ways, especially once the Nevengers find her. There definitely was a bit of a thread with Hook talking about how easy it is to fall into the darkness and become the villain, and it sounds like that will play out in this next season only with Emma in this case.

I know that this is early, but have we seen any spoilers for 5B? Are they going to have another land to go to for that one? Because if they're doing this much work and Jennifer is doing this much research to make Emma the villain, I could see her being a villain for all of 5A.

Ugggggggg I don't know!

I think JMo will do a great job being "evil Emma who is still somehow fighting from the inside to be a hero", and I think she would love to play those different parts of Emma`s character. Plus, it means more focus on Emma. BUT...

Emma being evil all season, or even half a season, just makes my heart hurt. And I have ZERO trust in these writers these days. I swear, if we get one scene of Regina being judgey towards Dark Emma, I am flipping a table. 

More Rumple backstory. So, same crap we always get, basically. Awesome.

• Love 1

I'm really not feeling this new story line at all. :( And I have no idea how they can use a swan as a reference for a villain. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I can't wait for spoiler photos of Emma's new outfit, but she'll probably be doing a lot of indoor CGI filming, so we might not get any for quite a while.

(edited)

I wonder if there's going to be an amnesia component, like where the darkness is so overwhelming that it overwrites Emma Swan and takes over. She's still in there and conscious, but more like a prisoner and unable to control what's going on. So the Dark Swan isn't actually Emma at all, but rather the Darkness personified and unaware that this other entity is in there. Then it might be Emma's loved ones who can help strengthen her enough to fight back.

I guess I'm thinking of this past season on Haven, where for a while, the evil Mara was in charge, but Audrey was still in there and the people who loved her were able to bring her back (only in that case, Mara was the real identity that had been submerged by the good fake identity).

But yeah, I'm guessing where they'll go from here is that now that Emma's been a villain, she'll be just like Regina.

Edited to clarify (because I just started my second cup of tea and the brain is slow): I'm wondering if the "villain" will actually be Emma Swan, or if it will be some other entity that looks like her and is played by Jen, so that Jen's essentially playing a new, villainous character who is not Emma Swan but who might have some bit of Emma deep down inside. And then after all this, Emma will remember having been that person, even though she wasn't in control.

Edited by Shanna Marie

I thought about the whole amnesia aspect of things, but doesn't that make her sort of weak because she does have light magic and it took centuries for Rumple to get to the point where the Dark One was about this close to overtaking him completely. Me typing this makes me realize that I'm actually blaming the Dark One for the things he's done, so I'm gonna stop now.

What I've been thinking is that the dagger will be completely useless against Emma.  I don't think it will work at all.

And I have no idea how they can use a swan as a reference for a villain.

Swans are beautiful, but they can also be territorial assholes. A kayaker was killed in Chicago a few years ago when a swan attacked him, knocked him out of his boat, and kept attacking him until he drowned. I have canoeing and kayaking guide books that sometimes note to be on the lookout for them - especially mute swans, because you don't get a warning quack before they strike. 

So, Dark Swan Emma could be like nature: looks great on the outside, but really just wants to eat your face off. 

Swans are beautiful, but they can also be territorial assholes. A kayaker was killed in Chicago a few years ago when a swan attacked him, knocked him out of his boat, and kept attacking him until he drowned. 

That's terrifying. Birds kind of scare me, and I was attacked by a male red-winged blackbird just last week in the parking lot at work.

Emma being beautiful on the outside, but evil on the inside sounds pretty much like any other female villain we've seen on the show though. The one thing I do like about swans is that they mate for life, so maybe we'll get some fun scenes of Emma trying to turn Hook back to the dark side, since he's the only one she wants.

• Love 3

Edited to clarify (because I just started my second cup of tea and the brain is slow): I'm wondering if the "villain" will actually be Emma Swan, or if it will be some other entity that looks like her and is played by Jen, so that Jen's essentially playing a new, villainous character who is not Emma Swan but who might have some bit of Emma deep down inside. And then after all this, Emma will remember having been that person, even though she wasn't in control.

This is reminding me of Angel season 5, where a demon took over Fred's body. It was all the demon, no Fred, even though she was supposed to "resurface" if the show hadn't been cancelled.

• Love 1

I wonder if they will use the "Swans are territorial" angle, but twisting Emma`s desire to protect the her loved one`s, to a murderous extent? Like, she is willing to kill someone she loved, so that they cant hurt anymore? Something like that.

Seriously, this whole storyline is going to be tough to get through. 

• Love 1

I know many are moaning the inevitable Rumple-wasn't-actually-super-evil-because-The-Dark-Curse-was-controlling-his-actions plot, but we can at least take solace in the fact that whatever "evil" acts "Villainous Emma" does in Season 5, they will never reach the evil levels of Regina The Evil Queen at the height of her tyranny where she slaughtered entire villages. And Regina didn't even have a dark curse to blame for that evilness, just her own bad decision making and personal decisions.

• Love 2

I'm really not feeling this new story line at all. :( And I have no idea how they can use a swan as a reference for a villain. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I can't wait for spoiler photos of Emma's new outfit, but she'll probably be doing a lot of indoor CGI filming, so we might not get any for quite a while.

Forgive me because I didn't see the movie, but wasn't that a major theme of Black Swan with Natalie Portman? I could see them fitting it in that way, especially with all their emphasis on how Emma is both light and dark. She is both the light white swan and the dark sinister swan. Hell, it could even be a very Darth Vader like characteristic. Vader didn't forget about who he was in the past, but the darkness overwhelmed the light in him. He was a villain and then became someone who fought against the darkness to become the hero.

I thought about the whole amnesia aspect of things, but doesn't that make her sort of weak because she does have light magic and it took centuries for Rumple to get to the point where the Dark One was about this close to overtaking him completely.

It could work the opposite way -- Rumple welcomed the Dark One in and didn't fight it at all, so it didn't have to do anything to do what it wanted to do. It could let Rumple stay in charge. Emma will fight it, and therefore it will have to assert itself and take control if it wants to do its thing. That's about the only way the Emma as villain thing could be palatable for me. I just don't want to see Emma, as herself, being a villain.

I don't think it was the Dark One overtaking Rumple completely, though. It was his dark acts that corrupted his heart, and it was because he'd been alive for so long he had more time than most to corrupt his heart to the point of killing him. But removing that darkness also removed the Dark One. Now the combined nastiness is in Emma.

• Love 1
(edited)

So she'll be like a drug addict? Struggling to cope with whats inside of her by fighting the darkness with the help of those who loves her.

Edited by mjgchick

So she'll be like a drug attic? Struggling to cope with whats inside of her by fighting the darkness with the help of those who loves her.

That makes sense. I mean, Rumple has been addicted to power, but he wasn't fighting against it since being the Dark One gave him what he wanted. Emma is sort of split now, and letting the Dark One win could potentially cause her to lose everything she loves.

Jen said Emma will kind of still be the same but struggling with the darkness and she needs her loved ones.

Jen: Emma will have to face demons, her family will fight to get her out of it. Hopefully it'll be some kind of silver lining

This makes a whole of a lot of sense that the darkness isn't just gonna eat her up for breakfast and it also sounds like Emma will be in Storybrooke, that she hasn't gone off the grid so to speak.

Also...is it too much to hope that they will finally delve into Emma and her parents dynamic like FINALLY?  Because this is really starting to just get old at this point.  I mean forget that they haven't brought any of Hook's parents.  They dealt and are still dealing the the utter ridiculous family dynamics of Regina and Rumple.  Emma had both her parents on the show and they keep just piling bullshit on top of bullshit.  Is there any hope at all that Emma facing her demons also means that they will finally confront everything between Emma and her parents (and by that I mean mother) that they have decided to sweep under the rug?

If I'm have to sit through several rounds of Regina and Zelena and their mommy issues and Rumple's mother being cast for more crocodile tears on his end, then I demand Emma's family issues be addressed as well.  If Emma has to deal with her demons, then her parents and her abandonment issues that led to a life of petty crimes, an underage pregnancy and a stint in jail should be brought up too, the same way telling Hook she loves him scared the shit out of her because she was scared it would change things (change what exactly, I'm not really sure, but whatever...)

Is there any hope now that Emma has turned into a "villain" of sorts that as a viewer who loves Emma that I might finally get this after 3 fucking seasons (I'm not gonna count season 1 because curse), please, throw a girl a bone!

Too boring for Adam and Eddy?

• Love 3
Also...is it too much to hope that they will finally delve into Emma and her parents dynamic like FINALLY?

Didn't you notice? She was mad at them for a day or so, then got over it, and they hugged. It's totally resolved!

The newer stuff about struggling with darkness sounds a lot better than when they were using the word "villain." So, will it be Emma not being her usual self and struggling against the darkness, trying to keep it from taking over, but not really being the main antagonist, or will she actually be the villain they have to stop and hoping they can get the darkness out of her in time to stop her from doing whatever she might be doing?

But you have to wonder just how much Jen knows. Does she even have a script yet, or is she going by what they've told her, and if it's what they've told her, you've got to wonder if what they say to her is as accurate as the interviews they give. Is she preparing for one thing, and then getting a script for something entirely different?

She doesn't have a script yet -- according to an Adam photo tweet, the first ep was just in "final draft" stage a couple of days ago. I'm sure she's talked to A&E about what's in store for her character, so she has an idea. Of course, with these writers, anything can change.

So the two options right now, based on what Jennifer has said, are:

1. Emma is a villain, and her heroic sacrifice means nothing.

2. Emma struggles with darkness and tries to keep it at bay, which is exactly her storyarc from 4B, but now bigger and more complicated because she has recieved an extra shot of darkness.

Both options are quite unappealing, at least for me.

• Love 2
(edited)

More about Dark Swan from JMo at the con:

"EEEEE. Posting this because i wanted to share it (in case it hasn’t been already). In the M&G yesterday Jen was asked about Dark!Emma and she was talking about how at the moment she’s building Dark!Emma as opposite to all of Emma’s current characteristics - instead of being the Saviour, she’ll only be thinking of herself; instead of dressing simply, she’ll dress not so simply (!!!!!); Emma’s compassion will turn to cruelty; Emma tries to do the right thing all the time but now…! Basically opposite in every way. Which sounds amaaaazing. And scary.

She was also looking up Black Swan mythology and found that some black swans can fly - so that’s what she wants Dark!Emma to be like. Free from everything that holds her back from being her worst self. She mentioned a quote from Hugh Laurie about how House got on his motorbike bc the air on his face made him feel free to be… not so nice!!! And Jen really liked that in terms of building Dark!Emma :)
So i asked her to pose with her current perception of Dark!Emma and it came out exactly as she was describing and im going to show it to her later - she’s aloof and dignified and cruel. IM SO EXCITED. And she was worried and adorable bc she’s only just started envisioning Dark!Emma in her mind. But she nailed it. Of course!!!!"

Here is the pic.

Edited by Souris
  • Love 1
at the moment she’s building Dark!Emma as opposite to all of Emma’s current characteristics - instead of being the Saviour, she’ll only be thinking of herself; instead of dressing simply, she’ll dress not so simply (!!!!!); Emma’s compassion will turn to cruelty

Isn't this more like what the "alt" versions of their characters were in the Season 4 finale?  Opposites of their former selves (eg. Snow being a cruel Queen).  I don't think Rumple becoming the Dark One resulted in all his characteristics becoming opposites, aside from meekness turning into boldness, but that was more because he had gained all this magical power he didn't have before.  

(edited)

From someone at the Paris con:

Jen said Emma will kind of still be the same but struggling with the darkness and she needs her loved ones.

More about Dark Swan from JMo at the con:

"EEEEE. Posting this because i wanted to share it (in case it hasn’t been already). In the M&G yesterday Jen was asked about Dark!Emma and she was talking about how at the moment she’s building Dark!Emma as opposite to all of Emma’s current characteristics - instead of being the Saviour, she’ll only be thinking of herself; instead of dressing simply, she’ll dress not so simply (!!!!!); Emma’s compassion will turn to cruelty; Emma tries to do the right thing all the time but now…! Basically opposite in every way. Which sounds amaaaazing. And scary.

Am I the only one who see the contradiction here? So either Jennifer has no idea of what Dark Emma is going to be or one of this two fans is lying.

Edited by RadioGirl27

I don't think it contradicts. Just because she needs her loved ones doesn't mean she'll want them. We heard her say it before she became the Dark One -- she needs her family to find a way to save her. But when they find Emma to save her, because she needs them, doesn't mean the Dark Emma will be welcoming them.

• Love 1

I don't think Jen really knows what's going to happen with Emma. It sounds more like she's building up the character's darker thoughts in her head, so that she can get into the new character better. It's also a really boring narrative if Emma is just all out evil now and it doesn't play with the previous Dark Ones we've seen, so I can't imagine that there won't be some sort of struggle between Emma's inherent good character traits and the darker ones. I am not at all pleased that they seem to be going all different with the costuming. Why would you change your comfortable style just because you have darker impulses? It sounds like they want an excuse to show off Emma's chest and the evil cleavage thing is kind of gross and sexist and I wish they'd stop with that. 

Yeah, I'm sure there will be Evil Cleavage. Sigh.

Another comment from a fan there:

From @jenmorrisonlive (at the autographe) : "We all face our darkness! But Emma will come back from it"
And I said "yes she has to ❤"

(edited)

I don't think it contradicts. Just because she needs her loved ones doesn't mean she'll want them. We heard her say it before she became the Dark One -- she needs her family to find a way to save her. But when they find Emma to save her, because she needs them, doesn't mean the Dark Emma will be welcoming them.

The contradiction I see is in "Emma will be kind of the same" versus "she is building DarkEmma as opposite to all of Emma's current characteristics". She is either the same or the opposite, she either struggles with darkness or lets the darkness control her. But both at the same time is quite difficult.

About needing her family, I'm sure that at some point she is going to push Hook and her parents away, and we are going to go back to them trying to reach her while she refuses to accept their love.

Oh, and I agree, the evil cleavage is gross and sexist.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 2

I think there is two ways they can go with Emma: either she starts out super evil and they slowly bring her back from the dark side, or she starts out ok and slowly gets more evil throughout the season. Either way, JMo is going to have to prepare for the dark bit. 

I wonder if the seeming contradiction comes from different people hearing the same thing and interpreting it in different ways, since we're getting reports filtered through social media.

The earlier interview made it sound like Jen was researching an entirely different character -- getting into the mindset of a fairy tale villain. This more recent report sounds like she's also exploring Emma's dark side -- what's the opposite of Emma? But since the script is in draft form, a lot of this may be based on preparation and conversations with the writers rather than the actual story line. If it's just preparation, then it's a good acting exercise to both research fairy tale villains and explore the dark side of her usual character to prepare herself for whatever they end up writing (and she's probably put more thought into it than they have because they seem to stop at "wouldn't it be cool if ...").

I must say, I hate the idea of Opposite Emma, where she's selfish and hateful, etc., because that strikes me as yet another round of demonizing the heroes to show that they're really just as bad as the villains. I was kind of warming up to the concept of an entirely different character -- a Jekyll and Hyde sort of thing in which the Dark One takes over, using Emma's body, but real Emma is still in there and fighting and sometimes manages to fight her way to the surface. That works better with the idea of the love of her friends and family having a lot to do with saving her because seeing them would remind her of their love, which would make her stronger and better able to fight, but then that would make the Dark One lash out at them and try to drive them away. The Dark One having access to her memories and thoughts would give it ammunition against the loved ones. That then would give them a chance to deal with the relationship with her parents, if the Dark One actually says all the things she kept quiet because she didn't want to hurt them and brought it all out into the open. She could also devastate Hook because she's his big vulnerability -- cue the big, weepy blue eyes and kicked puppy expression, but he'd stand strong and refuse to give up or stop believing in her. And for the final battle, love would be the thing that defeats the Dark One because it doesn't understand self sacrifice or the idea that hurting the loved ones only makes Emma stronger because it gives her something to fight for.

But the latest spoilers don't sound like they're taking that approach. We'll get some evil cleavage and proof that Emma's no better than Regina, and there will be no lasting consequences. Because TS;TW. I've got to stop with the mental fanfic so I won't be disappointed.

• Love 1

They're probably trying to come up with a way to make that family connection some way, somehow.  Hook would then be related to Bae and Henry.  

You know Rumple's mother ran, leaving wee Rumple with his loser dad.  She ran into a dashing pirate/sailor who showed her adventure and gave her a great life before she died.  Rumple murdering Milah was also his ultimate revenge against the mother who left him.

So, what are the chances that Rumple's mother ran away with Hook's father?  

Also, how much bravery was Rumple supposed to absorb from someone who seems to have disappeared when he was pretty little?

Magic is drugs!*

(*trademark DarkWillow)

Somehow, this doesn't make me feel any better about this storyline.  Not at all.  I wonder why?  :)