Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

I thought I read somewhere that companies do collect the on-demand viewing data and it counts for something. When I watch live I don't mind the commercials because it gives me time to tweet/social media or get a snack, just like it does when I watch On-demand. The inability to not be able to FFwd because of ad is frustrating, because sometimes I just want to watch or get back to a certain part of the episode without watching it all over again. I'd rather they let me FFwd through the episode, even if they forced me to watch all the commercial breaks like they do when you watch it online. 

I have taken a new liking to online streaming that lets you interactive with an ad for 30 secs and skip the traditional 2 min break, Fox currently does it. I wonder what kinda data that collects. It makes watching an episode much easier, because my streaming slows down during the standard commercials.

I actually appreciate that the CW releases their episodes online so close to airdate, I think it helps maintain revenue & increase viewership. It irritates me that I have to wait a week +1day to watch other networks episodes. If you really want to make ad money, just let me watch the show online 24hrs later or a set time after the West Coast - I would follow a lot more shows if it let me do that. It's one of the reasons, I'm hesitant to watch new shows on certain networks, because I know I have to watch them live or fall behind, which doesn't work for serial shows. It's why I don't watch Gotham or Agents of Shield anymore and just wait for them to come out on DVD to borrow from the library. It's why I was able to watch Supergirl, since CBS is like the CW and would let me watch it online the next day.

5 hours ago, kismet said:

I'm hesitant to watch new shows on certain networks, because I know I have to watch them live or fall behind, which doesn't work for serial shows. It's why I don't watch Gotham or Agents of Shield anymore and just wait for them to come out on DVD to borrow from the library. It's why I was able to watch Supergirl, since CBS is like the CW and would let me watch it online the next day.

Funny, CBS was the nightmare for me since I had to wait more than a week (or pay their extortion rate on top of the rate I pay the Sat company) and the amount of commercials was equal or greater than if I watched it live and the greater sin, the same fricken' commercials so by the end, I wanted to scream.  Fortunately, most of the time I had my DVR recording but storms interrupted a couple times. 

Fox might have changed since last I was there but I used to be able to catch up the very next day.   

I'm still old school antenna only.  I have cable that i catch up on when I visit friends and such. Thank goodness fox had the preview, I was able to see both weeks of Empire because hot damn those were crazy episodes before the finale.

2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Funny, CBS was the nightmare for me since I had to wait more than a week (or pay their extortion rate on top of the rate I pay the Sat company) and the amount of commercials was equal or greater than if I watched it live and the greater sin, the same fricken' commercials so by the end, I wanted to scream.  Fortunately, most of the time I had my DVR recording but storms interrupted a couple times. 

Fox might have changed since last I was there but I used to be able to catch up the very next day.   

Maybe it was just for Supergirl :/

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought this was interesting - from a fan's recap of COH2 (posted by Ceylon5 in the Social Media thread):

In his lounge later in the day, Stephen was very relaxed and approachable, and answered a lot of great questions about the show and his own experience as an actor (on Arrow and Turtles). He was asked about why the CW PR seemed not to want to promote Arrow, and he replied that it was “just one of those things” – Arrow had had a LOT of money and promotion thrown into the pilot and early season 1, and with the advent of The Flash and LOT and newer shows, it was inevitable that they would need and/or receive more promotion than Arrow. He noted that Arrow had, for the past few years, been “supernaturally (no pun intended)” steady in ratings and viewership, and that it wasn’t a source of concern for any of the powers that be. He said that he’d had conversations with the PR teams in trying to get some more promo, but it just hadn’t panned out. 

FYI: He didn’t seem worried or nervous about the lack of promotion for Arrow – several times throughout the weekend he said that “supernaturally steady” line, and it seemed like he was proud of the fact that a 4th season show was so consistent in its ratings. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I must really be missing something because I think the Flash is the worst out of the Flarroverse shows. Especially with their treatment of female characters. None of the characters are engaging enough for me to watch just for them. Barry's cute and all but his constant need for validation of his heroism is off putting to me. He also gives up easily and needs a million pep talks every episode to continue to be a hero. Be a hero, stop talking about being one!

I'm not a huge comic book reader, the only ones I've read are some of the X-Men ones. None of them are written like children's books which is how I see the Flash. 

• Love 11
Just now, Sakura12 said:

I must really be missing something because I think the Flash is the worst out of the Flarroverse shows. Especially with their treatment of female characters. None of the characters are engaging enough for me to watch just for them. Barry's cute and all but his constant need for validation of his heroism is off putting to me. He also gives up easily and needs a million pep talks every episode to continue to be a hero. Be a hero, stop talking about being one!

I'm not a huge comic book reader, the only ones I've read are some of the X-Men ones. None of them are written like children's books which is how I see the Flash. 

It's simple. Flash is fun, somewhat shallow, and light-hearted.

When shows get darker and more serious, people get more critical. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Flash is the only masked hero on the show. Arrow began to decline when they did GA almost a supporting in his own show.

Having heroes    appearing in one or another episode, ok.  permanently, is a mistake.
I want to see what happens when will have more 2 speedsters in TF

Edited by Morena
  • Love 3
(edited)

The only thing I'm interested in about The Flash is what's going to happen to it when it's no longer getting the lion's share of promotion and it's not the only "light" superhero show now that Supergirl is on the same network.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4
(edited)

I've been meaning to ask for a while, but why did Berlanti and WB/CW even bother making Arrow first when they've always loved Flash the most? It's a more well known character and it seems like the more natural successor to comic book-y Smallville.

Edited by lemotomato
(edited)

Wasn't one of the reasons is because it was NOT like Smallville? It'd be a "gritty, real" take on a DC hero. Something closer to Nolan's Batman films?

(But now Oliver has 'light magic' now!)

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

That's also what will definitely bug me come August/September/October (and later throughout the year)  once promotion for all of the shows will start. Flash, being the golden cow, will still get promotion; LoT, being still semi-new, will still get promotion to get the viewers to cover the extra costs; and Supergirl, being new to the network, will need a whole promo campaign for its premiere. Meanwhile, Arrow will be trekking along sharing its budget with now 3 other powered shows. It makes sense from a monetary standpoint to not spend the money for magically steady show in its 5th season, but to be the only DC show on the network with significantly less promotion just gives off the vibe of being uncaring or even embarrassed of Arrow. I know that's not the case, but it still just rubs me the wrong way (especially since it has ratings higher than LoT and Supergirl might be a shot in the dark concerning ratings on CW at who knows what day/time)

There's nothing really that anyone can do about it, so it's kind of a lost cause to worry about it, but it's still something that bugs me.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

I guess on the bright side of things it's a compliment to Arrow that it still manages to pull "supernaturally" (to use Stephen's word) consistent ratings 4 years in despite the shit promo.

it really is, Season Avg for 1-21

S1 - 1.1 /3.3

S2 - 0.92/2.5

S3 - 1.0/2.8

S4 - 0.96/2.5

You're talking a 4% year to year drop from S3 to S4.  

• Love 3

If you look at S3 and S4 ratings side by side, a significant part of the extra live viewers [about half a million people] Arrow got in 308 stuck around until February sweeps, which is why it got higher demos between 309 and 315. Most of them bailed from 316 onwards.

In S4, only less than 200k extra viewers stuck around after the crossover -- which still made January demos higher -- but it didn't last until Feb sweeps.

S3: http://www.spottedratings.com/2014/10/spotvault-arrow-cw-2014-15-ratings.html
S4: http://www.spottedratings.com/2015/10/spotvault-arrow-cw-2015-16-ratings.html

I'm 100% sure the network understands clearly these are borrowed extra viewers, and temporary ones at it too.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

I guess on the bright side of things it's a compliment to Arrow that it still manages to pull "supernaturally" (to use Stephen's word) consistent ratings 4 years in despite the shit promo.

HA! Nice, Stephen. The true test of Arrow's "supernatural" stability would be if they started moving it all around the schedule like they've done with SPN and the audience follows.  I'll follow stupid Oliver Queen wherever he goes just like I do the stupid Winchesters(no none of them are actually stupid...well, most of the time).

5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

HA! Nice, Stephen. The true test of Arrow's "supernatural" stability would be if they started moving it all around the schedule like they've done with SPN and the audience follows.  I'll follow stupid Oliver Queen wherever he goes just like I do the stupid Winchesters(no none of them are actually stupid...well, most of the time).

I do think it's a little premature for SA to think he/Arrow is in the company of a show & fanbase like Supernatural. It's impressive the Arrow audience has virtually stayed the same. However SPN is in a whole other league - besides shuffling to just about every available timeslot, SPN also survived a major Network merger, a writers strike, a leadership change at the CW and of course the natural maturing of their cast & audience. The majority of serial dramas in this modern TV land rarely live beyond 6 or so seasons. And often if they do it is with major alterations to cast or format, SPN from what I hear is thematically the same show it was originally and has maintained a core stable cast, with a lot of the original actors. If I was SPN, I'd ask SA to call us back in a few years... and maybe we can hang - although by then SPN will probably be nearing its 20th season and still rock steady in its performance.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I don't think that SA was comparing Arrow to Supernatural. I think he just means they are abnormally consistent.

Oh I totally agree. But my point was more that Arrow has never been moved out of it's spot once to truly test the audience's willingness to go where it goes. I also have a little head!canon that he was subtly encouraging TPTB to keep the two show together on one night.

2 hours ago, kismet said:

I do think it's a little premature for SA to think he/Arrow is in the company of a show & fanbase like Supernatural. It's impressive the Arrow audience has virtually stayed the same. However SPN is in a whole other league - besides shuffling to just about every available timeslot, SPN also survived a major Network merger, a writers strike, a leadership change at the CW and of course the natural maturing of their cast & audience. The majority of serial dramas in this modern TV land rarely live beyond 6 or so seasons. And often if they do it is with major alterations to cast or format, SPN from what I hear is thematically the same show it was originally and has maintained a core stable cast, with a lot of the original actors. If I was SPN, I'd ask SA to call us back in a few years... and maybe we can hang - although by then SPN will probably be nearing its 20th season and still rock steady in its performance.

I'm waiting for the Sleepy Hollow story of how that show shot itself in the foot. I think it would be a really interesting documentary, I mean legit full on documentary about SPN  "The Little Show That Did" for 12 seasons

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I don't think that SA was comparing Arrow to Supernatural. I think he just means they are abnormally consistent.

Even so, I have to agree with @catrox14 until you test an audience by moving a show to different time slots, you don't really now how consistent your audience is. I love Arrow but its never been tested. A good portion of the reason the ratings have probably been consistent is because the show's timeslot has been consistent. I don't have all the stats in front of me. But I'm sure if you look at multiple network shows that have stayed on the same night/same time, with the same network and the same showrunner - you probably would see consistent ratings. It's overall a good show with a core audience, but would all of that audience follow it to another night, I'm not sure. I think the downloads would probably be the same. However, I think the live ratings would take a hit.

(edited)

I don't think the show needs to be tested to prove SA's comments - I think he was simply stating that the ratings are remarkably steady for a show in its 4th season. The numbers haven't dropped off all that much, which they typically would have over time.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 9

Upon further review, I'm amending my opinion. I think SA was inviting comparison to Supernatural by saying "supernaturally stable". He knew what he was saying. So IMO if he's saying that then yeah, I'm closer to @kismet's viewpoint. And I stand by my view that the test of audience loyalty and ratings stability is proven if they move timeslots.

• Love 1
(edited)

The overnight numbers - the early ones we see - include everyone that was watching the channel at that time, even if something else was airing.  The final numbers - the news we get in the afternoon - only count the people that were actually watching Arrow (in this case).  So the numbers might go down because the first numbers included people who were watching the CW at that time but were watching basketball.  The final numbers takes these people out.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

The overnight numbers - the early ones we see - include everyone that was watching the channel at that time, even if something else was airing.  The final numbers - the news we get in the afternoon - only count the people that were actually watching Arrow (in this case).  So the numbers might go down because the first numbers included people who were watching the CW at that time but were watching basketball.  The final numbers takes these people out.

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining! 

• Love 1
(edited)

Except it's not about story choices and more about what they're airing against-- the NBA playoffs, which started on April 16th, the NHL playoffs, which started on April 13th, and the Survivor Finale last night.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

Yeah, I don't know how good of a choice it has been to air the final episodes this late in the season. Previous seasons aired the finale the second week of May.

Plus, they pretty much dropped the promotion after 415.

1 minute ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Nah, that's what they get for killing Laurel!  ;)

Nah, that's what they get for breaking Olicity up :D

• Love 4