Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

Both 308 and 408 scored the exact same demo 1.4 and were only off by 260K viewers, roughly a 6.6% drop year to year.  I wouldn't call that "quite a bit".

That's absolutely only quite a bit less. The first crossover, is to some extent, just like a pilot, and gets the HIGHEST number of views because everyone tunes in, sees if they like it. Then the next time (a 2nd episode, or a 2nd crossover), the audience lessens. 260k less isn't that much, especially when you consider demo was still the same. Demo is the PROPORTION of the audience watching. So while there were less watchers, the #s basically say that its the same percent of the audience watching as last year.

That's pretty low.  I guess the BMD is proving to be a bad decision.

ETA: To clarify, I don't think that's the only reason, but maybe a contributing factor to the extent of the drop.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Series low for Arrow, too, it seems. Bad week for DC shows, it seems, since they all had their series lows.

It hit a 0.7 a three times in S2 and the ratings hit that low too (2.19 for 220).  honestly it's not unexpected, Flash dropped 2 tenths, Arrow appears to have dropped 3 tenths (unless it adjusts up in the finals).  It's not good but given that Arrow, Flash and SPN have been off the air for a month and had very little promotion while on break it's expected.

PS - Want to talk about a Loyal Audience...I'll point you to SPN only dropped a tenth in the ratings and gets even less love than Arrow...My Boys!

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 6

Considering all the CW shows took a dive this week, I hesitant to blame it on a particular storyline.

Though it does fit the pattern of ratings going down after Olicity ends on a negative note.

Curious about Twitter ratings and I hope it does adjust up.

• Love 1

Yeah, conjunction of factors. The soft trend of nobody liking when mommy and daddy fight persists, and then 1. daylight savings, 2. non sweeps month, 3. month long hiatus 4. with almost zero promotion, 5. when every other CW show is also taking a hit = 0.7 in the demo for the first time since S2.

• Love 9

It hit a 0.7 a three times in S2 and the ratings hit that low too (2.19 for 220).  honestly it's not unexpected, Flash dropped 2 tenths, Arrow appears to have dropped 3 tenths (unless it adjusts up in the finals).  It's not good but given that Arrow, Flash and SPN have been off the air for a month and had very little promotion while on break it's expected.

PS - Want to talk about a Loyal Audience...I'll point you to SPN only dropped a tenth in the ratings and gets even less love than Arrow...My Boys!

Oh, I know that. I was just comparing the series low (220 that had .7 and 2.19 viewers) with this episode (.7 with 2.14). Like you said, it was to be expected, especially after getting Flash's ratings for this week and the *surprising* lack of promotion. 

People wanted this to be like s2...Well, here's s2's ratings.

And I will always love Supernatural's longevity.

Yeah, conjunction of factors. The soft trend of nobody liking when mommy and daddy fight persists, and then 1. daylight savings, 2. non sweeps month, 3. month long hiatus 4. with almost zero promotion, 5. when every other CW show is also taking a hit = 0.7 in the demo for the first time since S2.

Love bringing up factors that logically affect ratings besides "Romance kills the show." I'll need to hang on to this list once I see the complaints.

• Love 1

Considering that people on this board were questioning when it the show returned, yeah something was missing in the promotion.

LOL - Looking at the across the board renewals, a part of me just wants to say that The CW doesn't care about traditional ratings anyway.

• Love 6

LOL - Looking at the across the board renewals, a part of me just wants to say that The CW doesn't care about traditional ratings anyway.

Honestly I don't think you're far off in thinking exactly that. The network has repeatedly said it gets a healthy portion of its viewership through other means (e.g. DVR, official streaming, Netflix, international airings, etc.). Considering how many CW shows with absolutely abysmal ratings get renewed for multiple seasons, clearly the network views things a bit differently than the others do.

• Love 5
Love bringing up factors that logically affect ratings besides "Romance kills the show." I'll need to hang on to this list once I see the complaints.

The best part is because WE DON'T KNOW for sure how much influence actual storylines have in the ratings, it's just as likely that lack of romance [i.e. O/F breaking up] kills the show.

For any hypothetical viewer who stops watching because they get cooties from fictional people kissing, there might be some other hypothetical viewer who quit because they don't wanna watch Arrow without the kissing.

• Love 5

Interesting rankings in the Nielsen Twitter ratings. I was watching the trends last night and Supernatural had ~50k tweets compared to Arrow's ~40k by the end of the West coast airing of Arrow. I guess there's just more to talk about during the episode?

No adjustment in the final ratings/viewers. Probably just as well that Arrow and the CW seem more interested in post views. Still.

Arrow, of course, was returning from a hiatus, which historically has had mixed effects on ratings/viewers. In this particular case I don't think that the CW exactly did the best job of letting viewers know that new episodes of Flash and Arrow would even be on this week, so I expect that was probably the biggest factor - pretty much all of the CW shows seem to be struggling this week so far. Arrow has historically struggled with ratings/viewers in its post-Feb sweeps season, so this fits right in with that trend. The spoilers - both the accidental and intentional ones - apparently drove up chatter, but not necessarily interest in live viewing (at least this episode; the numbers for episodes 18 and 19 will be fascinating). A number of fans are voicing that they are bored with the flashbacks. And, of course, the last episode featured Vixen, leading to a spike in total viewers (2.44 to 2.70).  This would look a little different if that episode had been around 2.50 viewers.

Still, I think it's notable that Arrow saw a jump in viewers right after Oliver and Felicity's engagement party in 414, and then reached a series low for viewers right after Oliver and Felicity broke up, seemingly forever and ever in 415, from 2.70 to 2.09.

That's not just a series low - that's a 22.5% drop, the worst drop, with the exception of the post-Flash December crossover episodes, not just for the season, but the entire series. It's worse than the drop after Sara's death (18%) which, along with the fan response, was bad enough to have Sara brought back to another show, and the drop for "Crucible" which aired against game 7 of a very controversial, highly watched World Series.

To be fair, if we discount the Vixen spike, and use the other February numbers of 2.48, 2.44, and 2.44, it's a 14% drop. Still bad, and worse than most previous drops, but not quite as bad.

Since ratings/viewers recovered after both "Sara" and "Crucible," I doubt that Arrow or the CW is particularly concerned about this. And of course, as "Crucible" demonstrated, it's rarely a good idea to read too much into the numbers for any one single episode, especially when outside factors may be involved. Still, this is a significant drop, and yet another example of the number of viewers popping up after a sign that Oliver and Felicity will stay together (their engagement party) and dropping as soon as the couple splits apart.  It's still a weak trend with several counter examples, but it does seem to be there.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 11
That's not just a series low - that's a 22.5% drop, the worst drop, with the exception of the post-Flash December crossover episodes, not just for the season, but the entire series. It's worse than the drop after Sara's death (18%) which, along with the fan response, was bad enough to have Sara brought back to another show, and the drop for "Crucible" which aired against game 7 of a very controversial, highly watched World Series.

To be fair, if we discount the Vixen spike, and use the other February numbers of 2.48, 2.44, and 2.44, it's a 14% drop. Still bad, and worse than most previous drops, but not quite as bad.

So if I'm looking for good news, it's a sign to the suits that a happy Olicity means better numbers?

I think fans want a hope filled Arrow/Oliver. We don't like a depressing show. One of the draws of a Superhero is the hope they bring. When Sara died last season and with Oliver losing his light now-hope seems far away.

• Love 8

Supernatural is like 10 or 11 seasons in, isn't it? The ones who stay at this point are the core audience. The ones who will almost never leave. It makes sense it's stable.

Arrow is still in a position where it can bring in more viewers (or alternatively scare away too many).

I am going to blame this PURELY on piss poor promotion. Not only did all CW shows basically get poor promotion, Arrow basically got nothing. Arrow was the only CW DC show that did not have a video on Batman vs. Superman (who'd win). It's not a big deal in the big picture, but it's just a small example of how the damn network seems to ALWAYS FORGET about the show that started it all.

CW, CW Arrow, and any related promotional entities HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO PROMOTE A SHOW.

It makes me very angry.

• Love 7

A select few are saying because there was the "wedding" photo they took that as promotion and that it was "shoved down their throats." lmfao!

That's not freaking promotion. Especially considering it was a ploy and not something some Olicity fans liked.

The only promotion they had was the clips during the day of the show and promo photos just a couple of days before the airing!

• Love 2

The episode descriptions in the TV Guide and elsewhere made it clear that it was a fake wedding (to be bait for Cupid). Also, if I recall correctly, the first Cupid episode (last season) had low ratings.

Sorry but one wedding promo that was released weeks ago on twitter does not equal promotion. There's a general audience out there that doesn't see things posted on twitter or tumblr or wherever. They go by what's written in the episode description and that's not even everyone. I have friends and family who watch the show as casual viewers and they had no idea about any fake wedding. They thought O/F were done.

But let's not forget that every single show had a ratings drop this week. We're coming off a 3-4 week hiatus, there was no promotion until the day before (seriously not even Facebook had any promo until this week) and it's Daylight savings. Even people on these boards were confused about when the show was coming back. LOL.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yep, LoT is being preempted for Baseball, not tomorrow's Arrow. The Chicago CW only exists during prime time. The rest of the time it's WGN and they like to play sports over tv shows. 

Edited by Sakura12

I really hope that 418 & 419 are not pre-empted in any markets because I an really curious what the changes in the ratings are going to be after this big

death

. I don't really want any changes to be explained as a result of extraneous reasons.

• Love 1

Yep, LoT is being preempted for Baseball, not tomorrow's Arrow. The Chicago CW only exists during prime time. The rest of the time it's WGN and they like to play sports over tv shows.

It's that time of year. Every spring the CW grts preempted for sports, especially in Chicago.