Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

This episode fell because a lot of people aren't here for EvilOllie. Others are weary and wanted to see what bad he did Before watching. This wedding next episode is not going to be popular either.

Shows don't often make the main star a vilian because that is not what we signed up for. This should have been done earlier in the season so there could be some hope for the final episodes.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 14

The Magician didn't rate poorly at all. Yes, total viewers were low but it scored a 1.0 in A18-49 against super heavy competition. In fact, it was tied for second-highest rated episode prior to the Flarrow crossover.

Actually, it was only tied for second highest rated until the next episode, where it then entered a three way tie. The Calm, The Magician, and The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak all had a 1.0 in the demo.

Edited by Princess Vanellope

Actually, it was only tied for second highest rated until the next episode, where it then entered a three way tie. The Calm, The Magician, and The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak all had a 1.0 in the demo.

The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak did a 1.1. The Calm and The Magician were tied second with a 1.0. Everything else rated 0.9 or lower prior to the Flarrow crossover.

• Love 2

I'm so glad someone took the time to show that post was full of it. I can't make 2+2 without counting on my fingers, and even I could see their argument was faulty.

• Love 1

Quite apart from the maths issue, blaming any ratings decline on one issue is strange. It's as if I said "Hey since I got my new glasses six months ago I've lost 10kg" without also mentioning that I've joined a gym and given up fried food and sugar.

Whether good or bad, ratings can rarely be blamed on just one thing.

• Love 6

Can't read article, wont click open on my phone. But aren't we getting the best ratings ever? I thought mg was all super excited about the ratings this season. IDK from the critical reviews/ fan responses it seems like people have more issues with the LoA, mm, paint by numbers & batman ripoff plots.

(edited)
Arrow continues to show strong year to year growth. Compared to this same week last year, Arrow is up +29% in A18-49 and up +33% in A18-34.

This season, ARROW is averaging a +38% jump in total viewers, a +39% gain in A18-34, and a +45% increase in A18-49 in Live + 3 Day viewing totals over Live + Same Day alone. Supernatural sees a +39% gain in total viewers, +41% in A18-34, and +48% in A18-49.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/16/the-cws-arrow-supernatural-return-up-in-adults-18-34-18-49-ratings/390279/  (April 16, 2015)

Marc Guggenheim ‏@mguggenheim

“This season, ARROW is averaging a +38% jump in total viewers.” http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/16/the

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/588783882335490048 (April 16, 2015)

fex-84 asked:

“This season, ARROW is averaging a +38% jump in total viewers.” WE'RE AWESOME! (May I say "we", right? Creators, cast and crew *and* viewers - with a plus 38% this year - are a team, right?). These numbers give you people more than (real) Italian cappuccinos: you deserve cappuccinos with bignè di San Giuseppe alla crema! ..... f##k numbers, you deserve cappuccinos and bignè because you gave us Team Arrow.

There’s no show without you guys.  So thank YOU.  And well done.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/post/116617839189/this-season-arrow-is-averaging-a-38-jump-in

olicityalamode asked:

BIG Congrats to you and your team and the amazing cast for the 38% jump in viewership! In Arrow's 3rd season! I'm so happy. Season FIVE, here we come! LOVE YOU GUYS.

Love you, too!

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/post/116617848564/big-congrats-to-you-and-your-team-and-the-amazing

Edited by tv echo

As interesting as the ratings themselves are, I find the number of votes even more so. Because it tells you which episodes caused a spike in traffic…and that is very interesting.

• Love 2

I really don't know how this all works, so I could be completely way off base here, but the thought had crossed my mind that maybe the EPs are hoping that Arrow ratings are down a bit this May because they want less money to go to Arrow's budget and more money to go to The Flash/Spinoff's budget (I can't remember the stupid name of the spinoff outside of the fact that it has Tomorrow in it somewhere).  It probably does not work this way AT ALL, but the stuff that they are heavily promoting for this week's sweeps episode (

Nyssa/Oliver "ceremony"

) seems like it could easily cause people to skip this episode.  Eh, I'm probably so wrong, but whatever.

When MG gets excited about trolling someone needs to remind him of Smash Season 2. I think that story proved that encouraging hate watching and thinking that any interest is good interest is not a sustainable business model. 

Interesting analysis from a fan on Tumblr reacting to a poster who apparently was using ratings data to argue that Olicity is bad for "Arrow"

Arrow Ratings Math: Show Your Work

I would willingly be this post's concubine and have its babies. It's so beautiful, I could cry. A-ma-zing. Aah, I love logic. And reason. And numbers. Mwah!

tumblr_m32cpnRzT01qkos9j.gif

• Love 1
(edited)

GB noticing increase in key demo from 2014 to 2015 (posted before the final adjusted ratings for 3x22 went up to 1.0)...

Greg Berlanti @GBerlanti  ·  21h 21 hours ago
Thanks for watching folks! RT @TVMoJoe: CW 5/7/14 vs. 5/6/15

Arrow     0.7    Arrow 0.9
The 100  0.6   SN      0.7

https://twitter.com/GBerlanti

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

The Arrow episode from May 7, 2014 did a 0.8 and not a 0.7. This week's episode still did better than the one from last year, but the increase wasn't as big as he is making it out to be.

ETA: Oops, I forgot that Arrow did a 1.0 in the finals, so it still increased by 0.2 in the final ratings. Never mind.

Edited by strikera0

It's so strange that the viewership is up from last season and yet all I see are complaints about this season everywhere. LOL. I'm not saying everyone hated it but it kind of doesn't add up. 

I've also seen that a lot of people are giving up after this season so it will be interesting to see how the first episode of s4 compares. 

• Love 1
(edited)
It's so strange that the viewership is up from last season and yet all I see are complaints about this season everywhere. LOL. I'm not saying everyone hated it but it kind of doesn't add up.

That's because ratings are casual viewers, while people who are complaining are the fans who are actually invested in the show (and most of them aren't Nielsen viewers anyway).

I've also seen that a lot of people are giving up after this season so it will be interesting to see how the first episode of s4 compares.

There were lots of similar complaints last season too, I doubt anything will change.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

Actually I have notice that when the fans complain. The rating either increase or don't change. It is when the fans stop complaining and give up on the show that should worry the writers. Complaining about the product is always the first sign that you need to change something. Second is decrease in fans making gifs or doing the general things they usually do for the show. The last is just silence from hard core fans. 

• Love 5
(edited)
Actually I have notice that when the fans complain. The rating either increase or don't change.

Not really. Depends on the show. The fandom of, say, Once Upon A Time basically hates this season and the ratings are at all-time lows as well. The fandom of Glee was also pretty vocal when its ratings dropped - and they've really, really dropped, the final season ended up with worse ratings than Arrow, and it was not even on The CW.

Edited by FurryFury

I am a part of both OUAT fandom and was a part of Glee fandom. I can tell you fans started complaining long before the ratings got worse. If you go back, you will see rambling and disaffection with both shows while they still had normal or high ratings. 

It was definitely not as bad with Once as it is now. There were some criticisms as far as 2B, true, but the show somewhat rebounded after that after plunging in the abyss this year. I wasn't a part of Glee fandom, though.

As for Arrow, I really feel like the ratings in season 2, especially later in the season, started to slowly drop, but The Flash brought some viewers who aren't as, let's say, discerning as the original audience.

• Love 2

The CW must be pleased.

The Twitter ratings were ok. Arrow moved back up to 2 overall (though way behind American Idol):

Unique audience (000): 959

Impressions (000): 4385

Unique authors (000): 21

Tweets (000): 91

I don't think this is enough for a per episode pay increase, but at the very least I think we can hope that the budget won't be cut still further.  Maybe.

• Love 2

Why was season 2 finale low?

The show went through a very rough patch in the second half of season 2 which it never recovered from compounded with a drop off in viewership after the winter and spring hiatus. It recovered quality wise IMO maybe four episodes from the end but I think it had used up a lot of its goodwill by then. The expanded universe with The Flash really seems to have bumped its numbers. Plus people over the summer who had stopped watching had the chance to catch the better episodes that lead to IMO a pretty great finale in season two.

• Love 2