Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling: Hail to the Gods

caracas1914
  • Start Topic

It's sad, I haven't complained either. Half the things that person said was pretty hateful towards this board and imo unfair? Oh well. Can't please them all

That's cool, because my opinions about IMDB posters are probably equally hateful.

• Love 11

....people on IMDB are paying attention to this board?

I find IMDB per episode ratings interesting - sure, it's a self-selected, not random sample, but it's a large enough group that it's probably a bit better at gauging general viewer reaction than just throwing darts at a dart board. Or, well, with this show, shooting arrows.  So, hi, IMDB people! 

• Love 2
Exept when she was - by DC, the EPs, as an action figure and a Lego game character.

She was popular so DC latched on.

Now Laurel will have action figures made for her. And she won't be killed off. 

Right. Ratings...glad they haven't lowered much. 

Edited by wingster55

Maybe some people will watch anything that features a young attractive woman in a tight-fitting black outfit fighting bad guys, regardless of her identity?

Part of me hasn't given up on the show yet - and that part of me is glad that the ratings didn't plummet.

I know there are parts of the online fandom who aren't happy with the show's focus on other characters (Roy, Laurel and Ray) lately but that isn't being reflected in the ratings. The ratings have been steady (with some ticks upwards) even during the current BC/Arsenal arc. In light of this, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we get to see more and more superheroes emerge on Arrow in future seasons.

Edited by strikera0

Nope. I'm sure more people tuned in for Oliver's return and not for the superheroes. It was steady before. But the bump had to have been caused by something and I'm sure it's Oliver. I'm sure the ratings will be down next week. 

• Love 1

No, I'm not actually saying that people tuned in for the superheroes.  But can I believe that this is exactly why MG thinks the ratings are up?  Yep.  It's probably all the justification he needs to keep shoving more superheroes into Arrow.

• Love 3
Nope. I'm sure more people tuned in for Oliver's return and not for the superheroes

I didn't return for Oliver.  I don't know why people watched.  Oliver has to be part of it, but the ratings were doing pretty well when he hadn't returned yet so it might be more than just him, which is the great thing about ensembles: variety.

• Love 1

I've given up trying to predict the ratings, they don't seem to make sense because lots of terrible episodes get good ratings.  Sara returns next week, so maybe more people will tune in to see her.  Or not.  Who knows?  The Nielsen's TV Twitter ratings were up quite a bit from last week.  The twitter ratings had been on a steady decline from episode 9, The Climb.

If you're curious, here's a summary of the tweet totals (def. is tweets ascribed to a linear TV episode.  Note that there are all these other Nielsen's twitter numbers like unique audience, impressions, unique authors, that are probably important but I don't want to type all that so...):

Episode 7: Draw Back Your Bow         39,000 tweets

Episode 8: The Bold and the Brave     64,000 tweets

Episode 9: The Climb                             77,000 tweets

Episode 10: Left Behind                         62,000 tweets

Episode 11: Midnight City                      41,000 tweets

Episode 12: The Uprising                       57,000 tweets

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

The ratings for the show have been doing okay these last few weeks, right?  Like 1.0 or so?  This is even including this "Black Canary arc" and if that hasn't driven people away for whatever reason, and if Oliver back in the mix brings people, I suspect it might do just fine.  Or I have no objective reason to think differently.  I've seen a preview for the episode that focuses on some interesting stuff for Thea and Oliver too.  Plus I assume someone is going to be curious about the fallout from that final Olicity scene, even if that ship isn't my cup of tea.  

I think breaking this down between "superheroes" or Oliver is weird.  I assume it's a mix of storylines that is attracting people, not just one or one character alone.  No one is pushing viewers away at the moment, which is a good thing from the point of view of the show.  

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 1

I have no idea why people watch some episodes and not others - just like I have no idea why some shows that I consider crappy get renewed year after year, while great shows (IMO) get cancelled after one season.

BTW, I have friends who tuned in to 312 to see Oliver return to SC, which was heavily advertised, and to see his reunion with Felicity (they were spoiler-free).  They also watched 310 and 311, waiting for Oliver's return.  They're 'meh' on the Atom and new BC.

Edited by tv echo

The ratings for the show have been doing okay these last few weeks, right?  Like 1.0 or so?  This is even including this "Black Canary arc" and if that hasn't driven people away for whatever reason, and if Oliver back in the mix brings people, I suspect it might do just fine.  Or I have no objective reason to think differently.  I've seen a preview for the episode that focuses on some interesting stuff for Thea and Oliver too.  Plus I assume someone is going to be curious about the fallout from that final Olicity scene, even if that ship isn't my cup of tea.  

I think breaking this down between "superheroes" or Oliver is weird.  I assume it's a mix of storylines that is attracting people, not just one or one character alone.  No one is pushing viewers away at the moment, which is a good thing from the point of view of the show.  

I agree, as much as people say it's about certain ships, or hating Laurel or pro-Felicity or pro-Oliver I think it's a combination of all of these things. I don't think any particular fanbase can lay claim to ratings drops or climbs because it's pretty equal footing in terms of why different groups watch. This is the kind of show that has something for everyone and if you've watched superhero shows like Smallville before then you've gotten pretty good at taking the good with the bad and ignoring the stuff you don't like while appreciating the stuff that you do.

• Love 1

Ratings on an episode-by-episode basis aren't as important or meaningful as trends, and I think large-scale desertion of a show tends to happen after several episodes in a row that go in a direction not of interest to a large percentage of viewers (aside from external factors, like a change in timeslot). So far this season, I don't think Arrow's ratings have shown that kind of trend, and I doubt the EPs or network have any concerns yet.

• Love 1

Ratings on an episode-by-episode basis aren't as important or meaningful as trends, and I think large-scale desertion of a show tends to happen after several episodes in a row that go in a direction not of interest to a large percentage of viewers (aside from external factors, like a change in timeslot). So far this season, I don't think Arrow's ratings have shown that kind of trend, and I doubt the EPs or network have any concerns yet.

Yup. Paging Sleepy Hollow ;)

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

People tend to hang in for a long long time.  Force of habit or sometimes they get enough to keep them watching.

It's pretty much conventional wisdom that the first three seasons of House were the best.  When the original team left, ratings stayed good but somewhat lower because there were other elements of the show people enjoyed. Some more left during the Cuddy seasons but it wasn't till season 7/8 that enough people gave up on it that it wasn't renewed.

• Love 1

I'd imagine the show is thrilled with the ratings so far for season 2B. I don't want to predict the ratings for the next three episodes, though - the flashback episode in particular could really go either way.

I don't think any particular fanbase can lay claim to ratings drops or climbs because it's pretty equal footing in terms of why different groups watch.

You can if there's a pattern. One episode alone doesn't mean much. Four of Arrow's highest rated episodes starring/cameoing Barry Allen means a lot. 

• Love 5

Here's how one website interpreted the jump in ratings (MG posted this article link on his Twitter page)...

Stephen Amell's return to Starling City as the Arrow had a huge impact on the show's ratings.  Just how huge? Second only to one other season 3 episode, the Arrow|Flash crossover episode which aired back in December.  In the key 18-49 demographic, Arrow scored (1.2/4) and in M18-34 (1.4/6) and had a total of 2.94 million viewers in total.  This gave Arrow a third place finish in the Wednesday night 8PM network battle behind FOX's American Idol and ABC's The Middle [Arrow tied with CBS's The Mentalist].

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/green_arrow/arrow/news/?a=114886

Edited by tv echo

CW was preempted in Norfolk due to basketball game. They will remove the ratings from that market in the finals.

Half-hours

8:00 p.m.

ABC – The Middle
Viewers: 7.91 million (#3), A18-49: 2.1/ 7 (#2)

CBS – The Mentalist
Viewers: 8.82 million (#2), A18-49: 1.5/ 5 (#3)

NBC – The Mysteries of Laura
Viewers: 5.92 million (#4), A18-49: 1.0/ 4 (#4t)

Fox – American Idol
Viewers: 9.81 million (#1), A18-49: 2.5/ 9 (#1)

CW – Arrow
Viewers: 2.63 million (#5), A18-49: 1.0/ 4 (#4t)

———-

8:30 p.m.

ABC – The Goldbergs
Viewers: 6.95 million (#3), A18-49: 2.3/ 7 (#2)

CBS – The Mentalist
Viewers: 9.27 million (#2), A18-49: 1.5/ 5 (#3)

NBC – The Mysteries of Laura
Viewers: 5.98 million (#4), A18-49: 1.1/ 4 (#4t

Fox – American Idol
Viewers: 10.99 million (#1), A18-49: 2.9/ 9 (#1)

CW – Arrow
Viewers: 2.55 million (#5), A18-49: 1.0/ 3 (#5)

Nielsen's TV Twitter ratings are in.  There were 43,000 tweets this week compared to 57,000 last week.  

If you're curious, here's a summary of the tweet totals (def. is tweets ascribed to a linear TV episode.  Note that there are all these other Nielsen's twitter numbers like unique audience, impressions, unique authors, that are probably important but I don't want to type all that so...):

Episode 1: The Calm                              77,000 tweets

Episode 2: Sara                                       44,000 tweets

Episode 3: Corto Maltese                     29,000 tweets

Episode 4: The Magician                      27,000 tweets

Episode 5: The SOOFS                           49,000 tweets                   

Episode 6: Guilty                                     33,000 tweets

Episode 7: Draw Back Your Bow          39,000 tweets
Episode 8: The Bold and the Brave     64,000 tweets
Episode 9: The Climb                             77,000 tweets
Episode 10: Left Behind                         62,000 tweets
Episode 11: Midnight City                      41,000 tweets
Episode 12: The Uprising                       57,000 tweets

Episode 13: Canaries                              43,000 tweets

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

If nothing else the Twitter ratings prove that U.S. Twitter users are far more interested in basketball.

Specifics:

02/04/2015:

Unique audience (000): 645
Impressions (000): 2602
Unique authors (000): 15
Tweets (000): 57

02/11/2015:

Unique audience (000): 564

Impressions (000): 2681
Unique authors (000): 12
Tweets (000): 43

IMDB liked it: 9.1, up from 8.9 for Uprising, although this may adjust a bit in the next few days (1189 users voted for Uprising; only 440 users have voted for Canaries so far.)

So the ratings are holding steady? Not surprising. I'm sure a lot of people have no problems with this season, or still find things on the show that they enjoy enough to tune in. I also think Arrow gained new viewers thanks to The Flash crossover, which helps.

For those of us who aren't enjoying the show, it's kind of like car crash TV in the sense that you know what's happening is bad and nothing good can come of it but you just can't look away. It's like morbid curiosity. I've stopped watching now but it's still the reason why I come to these boards and read spoilers. I just need to know how bad it can possibly get. 

It's just a shame that the EP's will take this as a sign that they're doing right by the show and the characters when they're actually ruining them, bit by bit, an episode at a time. I'm not sure I'm even going to like the characters by the end of the season at this rate. 

• Love 5

The ratings didn't hold steady for the last episode: after the adjustment, there was a drop in total viewers from 2.94 to 2.67, and a drop in the demo from 1.2 to 1.1.  Three Twitter rankings fell; one rose.  The IMDB user rating rose to 9.1, though that may still adjust.

The next episode is the annual flashback heavy episode (I wonder what this show will do if it gets to a season six.  Hmm.).  "The Odyssey" was one of Arrow's top ten rated episodes for the entire series. (IMDB liked it too - 8.9.) "The Promise" was the second lowest rated episode of the entire series. (IMDB liked it - 9.0.)  So I have no idea what will happen this season.

I saw this fabulous comment on the Pajiba review that summed up how I've started to feel about the show and these crazy ratings.  It was basically "what if we're all in a bubble where we all agree with each other, but nobody else sees it?"  

The ratings didn't hold steady for the last episode: after the adjustment, there was a drop in total viewers from 2.94 to 2.67, and a drop in the demo from 1.2 to 1.1.

TV By the Numbers has the finals for the 2/4/15 episode as 2.94 and 1.2.  Do you happen to have a link handy for the adjusted ratings?  I've been keeping track just for myself, so I want to make sure that I have correct figures.

• Love 2

I saw this fabulous comment on the Pajiba review that summed up how I've started to feel about the show and these crazy ratings.  It was basically "what if we're all in a bubble where we all agree with each other, but nobody else sees it?"  

TV By the Numbers has the finals for the 2/4/15 episode as 2.94 and 1.2.  Do you happen to have a link handy for the adjusted ratings?  I've been keeping track just for myself, so I want to make sure that I have correct figures.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/02/12/wednesday-final-ratings-empire-arrow-the-goldbergs-the-100-the-mentalist-the-mysteries-of-laura-black-ish-criminal-minds-adjust/362461/

• Love 1

LOL. I saw that same comment. I wanted to invite her over here so she could be reassured that they're not alone over there.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 7