Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Rule #23: Never Lie To The Kids

Abby McCarthy (Lisa Edelstein), famous author of the best-selling Girlfriends' Guide. . . mommy advice book series, has been living a lie. She's been hiding from her fans, friends, and family that she's separated from her husband. Now that her husband is actively dating, she begins to take the advice of her divorced friends (Janeane Garofalo, Beau Garrett) which leads to some unexpected and life-changing experiences.

I've never heard shit and bullshit without censors so much in my years watching Bravo. Interesting.

Once the divorce reveal finally came the part that got me the most was the daughter's disgust at Abby wearing her earrings. Teens.

I giggled at the 'CW actress' reference and all the images that conjures up.

The roommate on the couch at the 28 year old's house is going to drop a bomb.

Edited by quetzal
  • Love 1

So far I absolutely hated this show.  I might give it one more shot cuz I really dig Lisa Edelstein.  She's a good actress & a class act.  I'm glad to see the commercials & the promos were totally misleading.  Actually, I thought they were cringe-worthy.  Whoever created those should be fired & the ad campaign should be redone cuz if this thing tanks I would blame those misleading promos & commercials.  I assumed Lisa was playing a cougar who bangs any & every young guy who crosses her path.  That's not the case at all.  And I'm glad to see that.  I woulda been disappointed to see Lisa trashing a really nice career to play something so cringe-worthy.

But this first ep was really boring.  Just couldn't get into it.  And Janeane Garofalo is so hard-edged & unappealing here, I'd recommend she give up acting cuz it just ain't happening for her anymore, if this is an indication of what has happened to whatever talent she did actually have.  They need to get rid of Janeane real quick.

Lisa's gay friend was a bore too.  I watch one more ep then I'm out.

• Love 1

I spent the first 20 minutes of the show trying to figure out what Ricki Lake had done to herself.  I finally went to the program guide and found out that it's an actress named Lisa Edelstein.  Shows how much I was into the show.  lol

• Love 1

I guess I must be lonely in this but I really liked it.

I can totally related to Abby and trying to hold on appereances for as long as possible , even when the situation is no longer viable.

I didn't like the two friends, they are too much for me, and Abby's brother totally reminded me of some members of my family who "advised" me that I just needed to suck it up because marriage was for better or for worse and to think about the kids. So many suggestions being thrown your way at the same time, so many people thinking that they actually know what goes on in the privacy of your house and who feel that they can judge you because your marriage is not perfect.

This first episodes I am assumming are going to be the most dark ones as in every divorce initial times are really depressing, but I am looking forward to Abby finally getting rid of that 200L of emotional garbage and finding herself, things do get better and I am looking forward to that in this series.

• Love 10

I checked the time while watching and was disappointed to see that only 10 minutes had elapsed. After half an hour, I largely stopped paying attention.

I understand everyone has problems, but I don't need to see yet another television show about the trials and tribulations of the upper middle class's upper middle class. To be fair, it's my fault. What else should I have expected from Bravo?

But even by pilot standards, it seemed a bit cliche and the characters were dull.

But this first ep was really boring.  Just couldn't get into it.  And Janeane Garofalo is so hard-edged & unappealing here, I'd recommend she give up acting cuz it just ain't happening for her anymore, if this is an indication of what has happened to whatever talent she did actually have.  They need to get rid of Janeane real quick..

After what her character did, I hope her character is killed by a drunk driver.

• Love 3

I am so glad that most of you agree with how I felt. I was excited to see this show, but after 5-10 minutes I got bored and changed channels. I would channel surf back and I just couldn't make heads or tails of what the heck was going on. Guess I will not be watching this any more.

• Love 1

This episode was just too much too soon. 

Parents seperated but keeping it a secret. Dad sleeping around. Mom making out with friend. Mom hooking up with bar manager. Mom hooking up with husband (after sleeping with bar manager yuck!)  Mom's career tanks. Kids see parents in a physical altercation. Etc. Geez- save something for future episodes.

This show is trying way too hard to be a combo of Sex and the City and Californication.

I hope it gets better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by RollingCones
  • Love 4

I stuck with Satisfaction and shockingly may have to continue with it so I'm a glutton for these kinds of shows apparently.

My main problem was how "talky" this show is. IMO, that's what's causing it to be more Sad in the City than Sex in the City.

A shallow quibble: I found the casting of the  younger guy weird. He didn't look that much younger. Now part of this is because Lisa Edelstein looks fantastic for her age, but it was as if they said she was dating a little person and it was a guy who was 5'7".

Edited by portfino

What I thought was strange & thrown in for no discernable reason was the friend giving her a long & passionate lesbian kiss.  Seemed like they're friends & both straight women & then this?  What the what?  Eh, I'm not even curious bout it cuz it just seemed to so far off from whatever else was going on.  Didn't fit or make any sense.  Did they wanna give a boner to the 1 straight guy who might -- just might -- be watching this shitty show?

I found the casting of the  younger guy weird. He didn't look that much younger.

I thought this casting was very strange too.  I looked him up and he's 39.  He looks older.  They look about the same age.  No, actually, she looks younger.  When he said he was 28, I went WTF?  They fuckin' cast an old looking actor to play a 28 year old.  OK then.

That poor sap actor who had to bang the wretched-looking Janeane -- sheesh, he looked decades younger than her.  But she looks positively ancient now.  Why?  Is it cuz she's aged horribly or did she have terrible plastic surgery or go overboard with injectables (Brandi-style)?  Or is it the character's bitter attitude or Janeane's own bitterness cuz her career has stunk for a very long time?

It was dark, but I enjoyed it enough to set a season pass.

I didn't think the bar manager looked like he could be .... pause while I look up Lisa's character's name ... Abby's son in any respect. I would not have given them a second thought as a couple. The Internet tells me that Lisa is 48 and the guy who played Will is *ahem* 39. So there's your casting mistake.

I adore Janeane Garofalo and liked her here but all that draggy hair is unflattering.

Hey, and Carrie Fisher cameo!

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 4

Honestly, the only reason I watched this thing was to see the guy in the commercial that she picks up & goes to bed with & then she says something bout her ex leaving messages on her answering machine & the dumb-as-a-post but beautiful model dude she's in bed with asks what an answering machine is.  I wanted to see that guy.  Where is he?  The oldest-looking 28 year old in the world that she beds -- the one who looks 55?  Him, I'll  pass on.  Where in the fuckety fuck is gorgeous Answering Machine Dude?  Him, I wanna see.  Show, you are def NOT givin' me what I want.

Shitloads of whiny, bitter cougarish 50 year olds?  I got BH & NYC Housewives for dat.  What do I need with another?  Besides, at least those broads can be a hoot.  These dames are nothin' but Debbie Downers.  Meh.

Hey, and Carrie Fisher cameo!

Agreed -- luv Carrie but I have absolutely no memory of what she said or did. 

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

So I guess we're supposed to root for the main character as she bravely goes through divorce, singledom, and self-discovery, celebrating her victories and empathizing with her difficulties?  I'm probably not Bravo's demo, but I just don't find her (or any of the characters, and I usually like Janeane Garofolo) that likable.  I'll probably hate-watch a few more eps just for the snark value, but unless it becomes a little less OTT tout de suite, I'm not going to get invested.

At least it isn't a faux "reality" show like Bravo usually has to offer, so (to paraphrase Carl Spackler) it has that going for it.  Which is nice. 

• Love 2

I thought this casting was very strange too.  I looked him up and he's 39.  He looks older.  They look about the same age.  No, actually, she looks younger.  When he said he was 28, I went WTF?  They fuckin' cast an old looking actor to play a 28 year old.  OK then.

I know, right??? Think of all the out of work actors dying for a part and they go and cast him. I just don't get Hollyweird. 

• Love 1

Did anyone else have trouble understanding some of the dialogue? It felt like I had to lean in and really listen sometimes.

Too bad about Janeane. I've always found her quirky and oddly attractive.

Edited by Jack Terrier

Did anyone else have trouble understanding some of the dialogue? It felt like I had to lean in and really listen sometimes.

Yes. I'd have the volume turned up to hear the dialogue and then they'd switch to a club scene and my speakers would almost explode. I hate that.

• Love 1

They lost me after the hot bartender/manager offered to cook for her the next day and she told him goodbye and walked out.  In which world would something like that happen, especially since her husband is “seeing a hot twenty-something actress?”Jeanne probably took one look at the upcoming scripts and bailed.

Jeanne probably took one look at the upcoming scripts and bailed.

My guess, too. The woman has zero tolerance for Hollywood bullshit or, I would imagine, playing a caricature. I was surprised to see her in this, to be honest. Maybe it read differently on the page.

Well, the above link said Janeane had "creative differences".  Maybe she had a prob with the character being way too hard-edged, bitter, angry & one-note .  Big loss for the show cuz she's really good, even tho the character she was playing was painful to watch.

They're trying too hard.

It's as if the writers were aiming for a weird hybrid of Housewives and Sex and the City fare. It was horrible - clumsy, ham-handed, superficial...

I assume the three female leads are supposed to be in their 40s or 50s, given that they are very successful professionally, and two with children. So having them giggle and twirl about like drunken starlets was ridiculous. Edelstein and Garafalo are so much better than this.

I didn't get past about 20 minutes before deleting it and the series from my DVR.

Garafalo has always fought her natural beauty. Hey, it's OK to be a feminist and also beautiful.

Not only dat, but to be a feminist & to be known as funny is a constant struggle so many of the best female comedians/comic actresses have had to contend with.  I wonder if Janeane battled to have her character be as funny as she is.  Cuz man, in this first ep I didn't see the funny Janeane I've come to know & like so much.

Any guesses on who the intended audience for this show is?  It ain't necessarily gonna be the Housewives audience.  If that's what Bravo is counting on, I think they're dead wrong.  First off, depending on which Housewives show we're talkin' bout, the audiences can be vastly different.  Just going by age range alone, I just don't think this show is gonna appeal to a younger audience at all.  And I'm not so sure this would appeal to the gay male audience.  Straight men?  Please.  So who would it appeal to?  Middle-aged white women 40+?  Seems limited.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

This reminded me that I haven't seen her in a while, so I looked up some of Janeane's stuff online and watched her stand-up special If You Will from earlier this year. I mean, yes, I'm a woman and yes, I agree with her political opinions which helps enormously on the likability factor, but this show didn't really cover politics. It was just funny.

I wasn't getting into like I'd thought I wanted to (based on the glossy previews, including Answering Machine Guy) at first, but then I started liking some of it, and then liking some of it more, so I'll keep it on my dvr schedule for now. Pilots can be tricky. Though I can't say I remember any of the characters' names except Jake because it was called out a few times (heh).

It made just enough sense for me to get interested. From how things can feel like they suddenly exploded because you've been trying so desperately to fix/hide them, to how it isn't entirely Jakey boy's fault (even though I yelled at the TV for his hypocrisy when Abby came home after her satisfying night out), it's complicated, the way I imagine most detangling and unpicking and breaking apart of long term relationships can be. I even liked her odd ball friends. But if Janeane left in disgust...

I loved Cuddy so I was surprised and glad to see Lisa in this new show. I want it to go well, damn it!

I don't know why I let Bravo into my house and mind.

It's as if the writers were aiming for a weird hybrid of Housewives and Sex and the City fare. It was horrible - clumsy, ham-handed, superficial...

I assume the three female leads are supposed to be in their 40s or 50s, given that they are very successful professionally, and two with children. So having them giggle and twirl about like drunken starlets was ridiculous. Edelstein and Garafalo are so much better than this.

I didn't get past about 20 minutes before deleting it and the series from my DVR.

Garafalo has always fought her natural beauty. Hey, it's OK to be a feminist and also beautiful.

I guessed the same age range for the leads. In a way it confused me because the children are so young. Hope my ex is watching this. He sneered and openly displayed his disdain when I told him my mom gave birth to me at 35. Anyway.... This show is really looking bleak.

I wanted to like this show. I expected to like this show. The premise sounded different and interesting, the promos were intriguing and funny, and I'm a longtime J. Garafolo fan. But I just don't. Mostly for the reason everybody else mentioned. It was boring, hard to follow, and just .... not good. 

That being said... I take exception to the idea that professional women and mothers in their 40s (or their 50s or 60s--or any age) shouldn't be allowed - or be portrayed as - having fun, laughing, drinking, having sex---or what have you.  That's just a false, antiquated, and frankly sexist notion.  

Furthermore, the one woman playing her friend (who is not Garafolo) is only 32 in real life so I doubt she's supposed to be in her 40s or 50s on the show.    

• Love 1

I agree.  Why aren't the gals on this show ever having any fun?  They're all just angry, bitter, jittery & anxious.  Quite frankly, watching them makes me anxious, jittery & nervous.  I really don't need a TV show to make me feel dat way, thank you.

Is this show written by a man who has no understanding of women of a certain age -- or just doesn't like 'em?  Why does unemployed Jake gets to hook up with a stunning young chick, who's rich & famous, while poor Abby is stuck with some loser 28 year old who looks like Tim Conway's old man from the Carol Burnett show.  WTF?  Where's the beautiful guy she hooks up with in the commercials, who doesn't know what an answering machine is?  I'd say the writers g***** poor Abby.

So my girl Janeane bailed.

Future Hair Club Prez Paul Adelstein gets a hot youngin, who I think is  actress Juliana Guill.

But Lisa can't get a hot young guy, like ummmmmmm Arrow's Stephen Amell.

Glad I read this thread, might not bother tuning in.

Weird that you mention "Old Christine" -- I haven't seen the GGtD pilot yet, but I've loved the eps that I've seen, and totally feel an "Old Christine" vibe, though in a different genre.

Totally agree with you about Lisa Edelstein in this role! I like the cast in general. Were it comprised of different actors, I could possibly hate the show, but they make me really like it!

They lost me after the hot bartender/manager offered to cook for her the next day and she told him goodbye and walked out.  In which world would something like that happen, especially since her husband is “seeing a hot twenty-something actress?”

I watched this yesterday, with my husband who is always such a great sport about this stuff.  I think I'll likely stick with it as a show to watch while working out, but it won't be joint viewing.  

However, I pulled that quote because that's the part of the show that did work for me. I loved that touch, because it happens in a world where a woman isn't looking for a relationship just because she had sex with a guy.  She wasn't looking for a guy to make her eggs and take her to the movies, she was trying to find her first tentative steps away from being being with the same person for 17 years.  

She wasn't fixated on trying to start a relationship.  She was interested in a freeing hookup, not an emotional complication.  I thought that was the most sophisticated and nuanced thing the episode did, alongside having it turn out that Edlestein's character had an emotional affair, rather than her husband straying initially.  I also liked that she was worried about her livelihood, because her marriage had provided her ability to make money via her books.  

I genuinely enjoyed that the whole setup was a lot more complicated than a woman trying to piece her emotionally tattered heart back together with great cries of how she'll never love again and having her heart shattered.  There were practical concerns, a woman who got everything that the bartender sex wasn't going to be about.  

Garafalo's character didn't work for me, although I adore her and I'm glad to see she saw herself out when it wasn't resonating for her.  The friends are a wee bit too cliched and there are reasons that I pretty much immediately downgraded the show to a workout show, but there are reasons it didn't just get shelved for me entirely. 

Also, I assumed that the bartender was simply lying about his age in the age-obsessed LA, because he clearly isn't 28.  

I don't think there will be much for me to talk about with this one, but I did genuinely appreciate the areas where it hit a different note than I was expecting.  

• Love 3