Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Judge's Chambers

• Start Topic

Quoting @AngelaHunter "I think it is too, especially for mature couples who are both working and living together and want an extravaganza but can't afford it. This goes back to olden times, when parents were so thrilled that some guy was taking their spinster daughter/burden off their hands, they would pay for it all, plus throw in a dowry to boot. "Here, take her. She's your problem now." And parents of the bride are still expected to pay for almost everything, even though their daughters aren't forced to sit home, forbidden to move out or get jobs and just had to wait to "catch" a man. So many women shrieking for equality, so how about this: You and your betrothed pay for your own wedding and your parents can make a gift of whatever they want or are able to do - not have to mortgage their houses. If you can't afford a wedding to rival those of royalty or Celine Dion, scale it down. There. All equal now. JMH(and probably very unpopular)O"

THANK YOU! I do not understand why, in 2018, we are still going by this archaic thought process!  

Edited by GoodieGirl
  • Love 4

OK, this case didn't belong in court, other than the loan to pay off her debt, but hells bells, if I were his parents who shelled out thousands and they broke up like six weeks later, I would be LIVID. Most of the time, I really don't care about the backstory, but I really want to know WTF happened to a couple who lived together for FOUR years, happily planned a wedding and then it all falls apart in a few weeks. 

@poeticlicensed, many moons ago when my group of friends were in our 20's one of our guy friends got engaged to a girl he'd been dating for 2 years, living with for 1 year. They had a HUGE wedding, 10 bridesmaids/groomsman, the reception was decked out to the 9's. They even went on a very expensive honeymoon. Two months later she moved in with her parents, they were divorced in another 6 months. My friend was devastated. I later found out that the bride had never wanted to marry him, she wanted a big wedding and all the gifts so she went along with all the plans. You want to talk about livid? 

• Love 4

Thank you for all the welcomes !

I wish I knew how to get a photo resized I would show you the Maine Coon! He's really adorable. BUT!!!! I went down to take my folks the mail and my Dad is sitting on the very edge of the couch in rain boots, a jacket and gloves! LMAO! Baker has very sharp nails and Dads hand was covered in band aids. He immediately potty trained but he shredded up everything in their suite. The upside is he is very talky and like to fetch his ball. I kinda think he might kick the dogs ass. 

I'm still damn mad that the EX caged this dog for 16 hours a day for almost 2 years just because I wanted him. If I ever see that BLEEEEEEEPPPPP I'm running him over. I will let you know when I fly to LA in my tea party clothes.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, badhaggis said:

Why get an expensive loving kitty and just dump them?!

What I found out doing rescue is that no one cares how much the animal cost, what kind of purebred it is or anthing else. When they want to "get rid" of it, none of that matters. We had gorgeous purebreds in our rescue - Himalayans, Persians, Siamese, a Russian Blue, Maine Coons and one stunning red Abyssinian. The bragging rights to an expensive cat fell by the wayside when the owners realized they didn't want to get their Persians groomed (and that is a major job) or if the cat - from some kitten factory via pet store - had some health problems that would cost money as in the case of the Abyssinian, who had horrific allergies that left his neck looking like raw hamburger. We got him a home with a vet. She named him Valentino since he was such a love sponge, he travels with her everywhere and she absolutely adores him.

• Love 9

Years ago, the disgusting excuse for a humane society were I lived then would get a lot of expensive purebreds dumped there, or found wandering loose.      A friend's daughter volunteered there, until the shelter realized she and her family had adopted a lot of animals.  The family had connections in two states, and weren't animal hoarders, but were placing them in good homes.     One animal that was adopted, and sent to a great home was a Chinese Crested.   At this time there were very few in this country, and the animal had been a bad idea of a gift to a retiree by her family.    She didn't want the animal, so she dumped it at the shelter, and it was definitely going to be put down before it was rescued, and rehomed.     At that time we figured a quality, registered animal like this was worth well over $1,000, and I bet it would be even more now.   

• Love 4

Oh my goooooddddd, y'all. I was working depositions for five straight hours yesterday and it was like an episode of JJ came to life. First off, it was a dog bite case, which surprisingly enough, we don't get that often. One of the attorneys was in his 60s, and I swear on a stack of Byrd's crossword puzzles, every other word out of his mouth was "basically". I wished for JJ to magically appear to yell at him. He was a very nice man, but it was driving me nuts, especially when the first witness started doing it too. Nonstop "basically". Made me glad that a couple of years ago, I came up with a one-stroke abbreviation for that word, otherwise I would have gone insane.

The dog in question wasn't a pitbull, for once, but instead was an overpriced goldendoodle the owners had shipped in from halfway across the country. I won't go into all the sordid details, but let's just say that like 99% of the litigants we see, the defendants probably shouldn't be owning dogs. They never licensed the dog, didn't keep up with the grooming, the vet records were questionable, and so on. The one saving grace is that the police officers who responded were able to dig up some rabies records so the plaintiff didn't have to go through all of that. 

But yeah. BASICALLY. 

• Love 10

I suspect the house flipper course was one of the one or two day seminars that some of the house flippers put on in towns all over the country, charge a bundle to attend, and give you all of their secrets.   Some of the Flip That House from A&E did this, and some of the HGTV flippers at least endorsed some courses.   I'm sure this woman wasn't the only person who went to a seminar, and didn't have a clue about flipping houses, and hired unqualified people.    She's lucky she was only out the $3k, and whatever else she put into the flip, and my guess is she'll do what many failed flippers do which is sell 'as is' to someone else to flip the property, and they lose their shirt on the house price anyway.  

@CrazyInAlabama my fiance took me to one of these "courses" when we were newly dating. It was actually an all day "Get Motivated" seminar where all sorts of life coaches, (yea right) told you how you could make millions doing various things from house flipping to e-bay sales. At the time my fiance was thinking of getting into house flipping, he'd actually owned a construction company in the past and had been doing construction since his late teens. The thing was that the company who was schilling seemed sketchy. They "give" you the money and you just pay them back when you sell the house, seems easy right? Not if you read the fine print, but that's beside the point. The other people who were there were like this woman, thinking they could just paint some walls and lay flooring and voila! Riches galore! Me being a novice I could see where people get swindled, after spending the last 3 summers rehabbing a mobile home I can tell you, it ain't easy, and it ain't cheap. And it's just a mobile home, I couldn't imagine a whole house! 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Why would anyone owning a pit bull ever agree to appear on JJ?  Double stupid, starting with having those monsters in the first place.

Except this presumes that the breed itself comes out of the box as vicious, and I don't think that's true at all. Like people who buy super-expensive cats for a status symbol, then get bored with them because it's "too much trouble" to take care of them the way they should, people who buy pit bulls want them to be mean attack dogs, so they treat them accordingly until they'll bite anything and anyone who gets close. They just end up biting the wrong anything/anyone, not the callous asshole who mistreated and abused them.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Except this presumes that the breed itself comes out of the box as vicious, and I don't think that's true at all. Like people who buy super-expensive cats for a status symbol, then get bored with them because it's "too much trouble" to take care of them the way they should, people who buy pit bulls want them to be mean attack dogs, so they treat them accordingly until they'll bite anything and anyone who gets close. They just end up biting the wrong anything/anyone, not the callous asshole who mistreated and abused them.

Thank you. They are not monsters, but dogs that were bred by people specifically to be aggressive to other dogs, so ball-less wonders could get thrills from watching innocent animals rip each other up. They were originally bred to be totally submissive to humans and any dog that turned on a handler breaking up a fight would be shot on the spot. My pit bull loved everyone, strangers and friends alike, and was even bullied and driven to hide under my table by my evil foster kittens. The media and asshole, testosterone-deficient tough-guy wannabes have turned this breed into a collective boogie man. In the 60's it was German Shepherds, in the 70's Dobermans and the 80's Rottweilers and the 90's pit bulls. Blaming the horrendous behavior of humans on animals is nothing new. Unfortunately, we can't ban people (and judging by the savagery of supposed humans that we hear about on this show, that's a damned shame) so yeah, let's blame a breed of dog for all the ills of the world. And BTW, the media shrieks "PIT BULL!" if there is any attack by a dog with short hair a long tail, even if that dog is Lab or a hound.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 6

Do you remember the issues with Dalmatians when the 101 Dalmatians movie came out? Unscrupulous idiotic breeders created some powder keg animals. Personally I think the same thing happens with Pitt Bulls. It is just sad.

• Love 6

Ok, saw this on our local FB Humane Treatment of Animals group, posted it on the Pit Bull & Parole chat forum - fits here, too

FB_IMG_1542567564570.jpg

Oh, and looking at this a second time..... breed doesn't really matter - just look at the dog looking up at his human. Way WAY too many times we humans do not deserve that look of love ?

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 6

I'm sure everybody remembers the Michael Vick dogfighting horror.  There was a film, The Champions, made about a group of pit bulls who survived Vick and were taken to be rehabilitated at Best Friends Animal Society in Utah, then most of them adopted out.  Because the director is from a town near where I live, there was a special screening at our local theater, and then she answered questions from the audience, so we got kind of an insider's view of how the whole process went and got to hear more about the follow-ups.  The dogs who were worked with and nurtured along--the therapy took a great deal of time, and some dogs weren't fit for adoption and lived the rest of their lives at the sanctuary--turned out to be gentle and wonderful animals, great with children.  I don't know if there was a dry eye in the house, but if there was, it wasn't mine.  If these dogs can come from the nightmare situation that they were in and do a complete turnaround, I wouldn't be so quick to write off the entire breed.  (And I'd really recommend seeing the film.  Here's the trailer on Amazon.)

ETA:  I see it doesn't link directly to the trailer, so you have to click on the far-left box.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 4

What stuns me is that Pit Bulls, and similar breeds are supposed to be dog aggressive, and never people aggressive.    Then, someone comes on a court show, or on a certain other show about the breed rescue, and makes excuses for an attack on a person.   

In fact there were two well known cases on the other show, with one dog that was allowed to run, and shredded other animals, and was on death row, and the rescue people got the dog and then whined about restrictions, such as the dog couldn't be adopted out.   The second the dog was part of a pack that brutally attacked several people, one horribly injured, and the dog was 'rescued' with court restrictions about who could work with the dog, and also no adoptions allowed.   Both dogs soon died of 'heart attacks', and my guess is that was just a way to adopt the dog out in spite of the court.    

The worst attack where I lived in the 1990's was a little kid, in his own back yard, attacked by four Rottweilers, owned by two neighboring women who let the dogs roam constantly.     The women showed no compassion for a little kid that their animals mauled.     I'm not sure the child even lived, but the women wanted their dogs back.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the breeders first, and then the owners.  I have known lovely pits over the years, and I've seen some that scare the crap out of me.

A friend has a really nice pit I have no issues with, BUT - they got the dog from a reputable breeder.  They read up on how to properly socialize him, and did what the literature said.  They neutered him as soon as he was old enough.  The breeder could prove the dog did not come from fighting stock.  He's a great dog and I have no fear of him.  The barber shop where my husband gets his hair cut have two.  One is a female, and the other is a male who is full grown but not a year old yet (the male is not the female's pup).  They're not spayed/neutered, and that scares me a bit.  They are both well socialized, but hormones can take over.  Plus he had their ears cut off, and their tails docked.  I don't like to see that.  But as of right now, they haven't given me any indication that they're aggressive, so I'm good for now, but I do keep an eye on the situation.

Sadly, they're the exception.  Everyone wants pits, just like everyone in the 90's wanted Rotweilers (dogs I have had too many bad experiences with to want to be anywhere near them), and in the 80's everyone wanted Dobermans.  I have a relative who breeds dobies, and they do it right.  She also fully vets prospective customers.  They want a status symbol without doing the work, or they don't understand the work, or see this as a current social justice topic, and want bragging rights.

I read a good article from a reputable source that said the pit bloodline is so polluted with inbreeding, dogfighting, backyard breeding, etc, that the only way they see around it is to sterilize all pits that have a murky background, and I'm not sure how that can be done to a degree of certainty.  I do think that any aggressive dog who has attacked someone/maimed someone/killed someone needs to be put down regardless of breed.

You also compound the problem with rescues, many of which are sketchy, and have no proper training, and can't assess whether a dog is aggressive or not.  I have a friend - I used to work with her until her husband was transferred to another state.  She is a dog nut, and is always sharing pit rescue stuff - so much so that I started to block a lot of the pages because a lot of the rescues were sketchy as heck.  She had one that I blocked, but it kept showing up anyway.  They rescued a dog from a fighting situation - she was pregnant, appeared to have been heavily bred, and was chained to a tree.  Her chain had embedded in to her skin.  It was horrible.  Immediately, I would think this dog would not be adoptable due to it's background, but they pushed the heck out of her story and no one raised any red flags - even when she had her litter, then killed every single one of the puppies.  Someone finally adopted the dog, and took over the FB page dedicated to her.  This woman had never had pits before, but was "moved" by this dog's story.  The woman already had a dog - a small senior dog that she had since it was a puppy.  Within a week of her bringing the pit home, it seriously injured the small senior dog.  The woman raised a red flag, and all the people following it told her it wasn't the dog's fault, please don't re-home her, and they put up a GoFundMe to cover medical costs.  What truly broke my heart was that the woman who adopted the pit then talked to the rescue, and they convinced her to give up her senior small dog that had been with her forever, so the pit could be the only dog in the home.  W...T...F...?????  And the woman turned around and gave up her small senior dog.  I wanted to drive to her and beat the crap out of her.  I sent her a scathing message and asked her to block me so I wouldn't have to see her updates again (I HATE that FB allows you to block a page, but then you can still see the crap they put up if someone shares it).  She obliged.

Rescues may be good, but many are sketchy.  No rescue worth their salt would have encouraged that woman to give up a dog that was 13 years or older, and had been with her forever, to keep a dog that mauled it.  A good rescue would have taken the dog back and re-assessed it.  Actually, a good rescue would have sent her to sanctuary and not adopted her to begin with.  I don't hate pits and would never harm one, but they need special attention and handling, and until people are willing to do it, or I know where the dog came from, I will NOT spend time around them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Everyone wants pits, just like everyone in the 90's wanted Rotweilers (dogs I have had too many bad experiences with to want to be anywhere near them), and in the 80's everyone wanted Dobermans.

Unfortunately, all these breeds are not good fits for most people. Seems most people don't bother to read up on the breed before going out and getting a puppy. Very few need herding/hunting/sled/carriage etc dogs. When you read the breed temperature saying a breed is stubborn and needs an experienced handler they're not talking about what seems to be the majority of dog owners - you know, people who have had dogs all their lives and never trained any of them to obey basic commands.

• Love 2

There was a case in Virginia a few years ago.   A rescue put out an ad about a family friendly, well mannered pit.    A lady adopted the dog, and a few days later the dog killed the woman's 90 year old plus mother.       It turns out the dog had a long aggression history against animals and people, and had been brought down from death row in NYC, and then the 'rescue' in Virginia put out total lies about the dog, and a woman died because of this.   Supposedly the adopter/daughter was talking law suits, but other people found the dog's bite history very quickly on the internet, and apparently this adopter took the rescue at their word.    

I don't understand people refusing to put down an animal that attacks a human, or shreds other animals.       I'm sick of seeing litigants on this show, and the other court shows, and in articles who have an animal that is huge, and could easily kill a child, but yet there are pictures of the kid laying on the dog, or leave a little kid alone with the dog, and they don't realize that one second of aggression can get their kid killed.    A lot of parents I know won't let their kid play at a house where weapons aren't secured, or where there is known drug activity, or no adult supervision, maybe they should ask about the animals the kids are left alone with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

Very few need herding/hunting/sled/carriage etc dog

This cannot be emphasized enough!!!!

"A working dog without a job is a bad dog." I wish I knew where to credit that quote.

Our shelters in North Texas are bursting with pits, Huskies, Border Collies and a variety of cattle herding dogs.  Idiots bring a working dog home to a busy house without a lot of exercise & mental stimulation, then dump them when the miniblinds get chewed up.

A good old lab mutt mix would be perfect for most families, but where's the status in that?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I read a good article from a reputable source that said the pit bloodline is so polluted with inbreeding, dogfighting, backyard breeding, etc, that the only way they see around it is to sterilize all pits that have a murky background, and I'm not sure how that can be done to a degree of certainty.  I do think that any aggressive dog who has attacked someone/maimed someone/killed someone needs to be put down regardless of breed.

While I tentatively agree with the last part of this, I feel compelled to point out that society doesn't put that many restrictions on people, and that if anyone tried it'd be a shitstorm of intergalactic proportions. How many Sainted Single Mothers have we seen parade through JJ's fake courtroom after they let some loser they met on Craigslist move in with them and their kids? Bonus points if he's already got another baby momma who comes around every now and then to make trouble, or if he's sucking up the money she could be using to feed her children, which she's probably not doing anyway because she's got tattoos to pay for and God knows what else. We joke about it here, but we don't have to live in the middle of it and no one suggests that we should punish the kids who do just because they were born. But sure, let's make sure the dogs don't breed because their bloodline is 'polluted' while their shitass owners make as many babies as they like.

*gets off soapbox*

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

While I tentatively agree with the last part of this, I feel compelled to point out that society doesn't put that many restrictions on people, and that if anyone tried it'd be a shitstorm of intergalactic proportions. How many Sainted Single Mothers have we seen parade through JJ's fake courtroom after they let some loser they met on Craigslist move in with them and their kids? Bonus points if he's already got another baby momma who comes around every now and then to make trouble, or if he's sucking up the money she could be using to feed her children, which she's probably not doing anyway because she's got tattoos to pay for and God knows what else. We joke about it here, but we don't have to live in the middle of it and no one suggests that we should punish the kids who do just because they were born. But sure, let's make sure the dogs don't breed because their bloodline is 'polluted' while their shitass owners make as many babies as they like.

*gets off soapbox*

I knew someone was going to get ticked off.  Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut.  I learned that a long time ago on FB.

• Love 1

Hey, guys? Remember when our viewing was butted into daily for updates on the manhunt for the very well-endowed escaped prisoner who was abetted by a women working in the prison who plotted with the hung prisoner to murder her husband so she could run away with prisoner and live happily ever after? Well, until the cops blew him away, that is, and allowed us to watch our show uninterrupted. There is a miniseries out now about these events. It's called "Escape at Dannemora" and, masochist that I am, I'm going to watch it, even if only to see if they show the warden talking about how large this fellow's endowment really is, since he seemed to think that's the only thing that a woman would care about. Anyone else on board with this stuff?

• Love 1

Okay so just started and it's not what I expected, which was some cheesey "Woman in Peril" Lifetime junk. First of all, it's rather explicit and there's actors I really like - Benencio Del Toro, Patricia Arquette and David Morse.

It's directed by Ben Stiller(!!) but I'm going to watch it anyway.

16 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The detectives couldn't stop talking about his 'endowments' either. 

Really? It seems men were more fascinated with that aspect than any woman would be.

• Love 1

She was only a woman in peril, because she violated every rule in the employee book.     I can't believe her idiot husband believed the garbage she told him about how she was scared.     The news reports also omitted her rather interesting marital and dating history too, and it wasn't as if she was breaking up a long term marriage for the well-endowed murderer she was banging either.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Scared? Yeah, so scared she practically dragged the hung Sweat into a back room in front of all the other prisoners to bang him, as if they were deaf and blind to what was going on.

If the portrayal of her husband in this movie is accurate, he was kind of an idiot and she's pretty nasty/skanky. They sort of remind me of many of our litigants. I rarely watch a movie, but I'm impressed with this. It's quite good and the acting is topnotch.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Remember when our viewing was butted into daily for updates on the manhunt for the very well-endowed escaped prisoner who was abetted by a women working in the prison who plotted with the hung prisoner to murder her husband so she could run away with prisoner and live happily ever after?

If there is any justice, the broadcast will be interrupted by Judge Judy updates.

• Love 6

Famous parting words of unsuccessful defendants:

"It is what it is" = I tried to lie and bullshit my way out of this and it didn't work.

"No good deed goes unpunished" = I'm an entitled asshole who can't be expected to be accountable for my actions.

Edited by Byrd is the Word
  • Love 5
On 11/21/2018 at 9:23 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Scared? Yeah, so scared she practically dragged the hung Sweat into a back room in front of all the other prisoners to bang him, as if they were deaf and blind to what was going on.

If the portrayal of her husband in this movie is accurate, he was kind of an idiot and she's pretty nasty/skanky. They sort of remind me of many of our litigants. I rarely watch a movie, but I'm impressed with this. It's quite good and the acting is topnotch.

Patricia Arquette plays “nasty/skanky so well!! I think it’s the teeth.

Nothing personal against her, she’s a great actress in other kinds of roles too!

• Love 3

Byrd is the Word? Every time I see your handle - every time! - this goes through my head:

A well a don't you know about our Byrd?
Well, everybody knows that the Byrd is the word!
A well a Byrd, Byrd, B-Byrd's the word

13 hours ago, iwasish said:

Patricia Arquette plays “nasty/skanky so well!! I think it’s the teeth.

Nothing personal against her, she’s a great actress in other kinds of roles too!

She's nearly unrecognizable here. I always liked her too from the first time I saw her in "True Romance."

On 11/21/2018 at 10:14 PM, DoctorK said:

If there is any justice, the broadcast will be interrupted by Judge Judy updates.

That would be sublime. They can butt in mid-sentence and start showing previews of upcoming shows, and sit and debate what the verdicts might/could be if the litigants have/do not have any evidence and speculate if they're really drunk or high here, get remote commentary from tattoo artists and those in the fashion industry on tats and appropriateness of the outfits, etc. We might get back to the movie after a half-hour or so.

• Love 4

Judge Judy “Fan”-Fiction

As the final tremors of the earthquake subsided, Judge Judy gripped her frail, mean-spirited hands together to keep them from shaking. “Close call, Judes,” she thought to herself. “You almost bought yourself a one way ticket to Hell City.” Judge Judy was a dull minded simple person, who believed in things like heaven and hell, and felt there was a lovable value in coming up with horrible country phrases like “bought yourself a one way ticket” even if the person coming up with them was completely unlovable. She straightened herself, back pinned to the cinder block wall of the studio where her show was filmed. She had rushed out quickly, taking no time to check on the safety of her crew, or the guests on that day’s show. “Maybe they’re all fucking dead,” she thought. “Crushed in the rubble.” Judy took a cigarette out of her robe. “I wish.” Judge Judy was an asshole.

A young PA poked his head out of the studio door. “I found her,” he said into his walkie-talkie. He turned to face her. “Everyone’s OK, Ms. Sheindlin,” he said. Judge Judy shrugged and squinted over the boy’s shoulder. “We’re going to cancel the rest of today’s taping just in case there are any aftershocks. It’s better to be on the safe side.” Judge Judy continued to look into the distance, seeming to ignore him. “C-can I get you anything?” the boy asked. Judge Judy said nothing. The boy made a confused and uncomfortable face, like someone who’s just been hit on the head and dumped into a diarrhea pit. He slowly backed his way back into the studio, the door closing behind him. Judge Judy looked up at the sky and a blew a thin, mean string of smoke out her nostrils, hard. She had millions of dollars. 

There was a gun in Judge Judy’s house, and sometimes she would take it from its drawer and put it against her head, in her mouth, point it at her reflection in the mirror. Sometimes she would point it at her husband while he was sleeping. He took medicine for his high blood pressure. His name was Jerry, and he was a “real judge.” One time, Judge Judy took the gun in her purse to a cocktail party, taking pleasure in the private confidence that she held the power over all the guests. That she decided their fate. When she got home she realized that Jerry had put canapés in her purse for later. It took forever to get the grease off the weapon.

Judge Judy stubbed her cigarette out under her heel. She was relieved not to have to go back inside, not to have to continue listening to small people complain about petty grievances. Even if it was just one day of relief, it would be enough, it would have to be. She could go home and have a drink. She could have ten drinks. She could get so drunk she forgot who she was. What she had become. Judge Judy would go home and lay in her bed with a relaxation mask over her eyes, listening to the gentle hum of the air conditioning like the cooling mechanism in a morgue. She’d put the gun next to her on the pillow, just in case. You never know. You really never know.

• Love 7
On 11/29/2018 at 9:41 AM, AngelaHunter said:

A well a don't you know about our Byrd?
Well, everybody knows that the Byrd is the word!
A well a Byrd, Byrd, B-Byrd's the word

Yes. Yes, it is

And thanks for the shout out. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Byrd is the Word said:

I hear you and for what it’s worth, I agree. I have the same feelings and experiences when it comes to people on the street soliciting me for money. My nature is to help those in need and frequently I do.  While I know that many of these street people are indeed destitute, experience tells me that they are also substance abusers, liars and/or hustlers.  I know better than to give cash to an addict as they would sooner feed their addiction than their bodies and I won’t support a lying hustler.  So I ignore most of these people unless something clicks in my brain that there is a remote possibility that they are to be believed. Certainly this approach has caused me to ignore someone truly in need and that’s a sad reality of the world in which we live.  There are countless hungry people, many of whom are children, in need of shelter, healthcare and basic necessities. There are taxpayer funded mechanisms that provide some assistance. There is also private funding that provides more. Both of these options reach out to those in need and do good work. Unfortunately, as with any system that gives something for nothing, the element that quickly figures out how to job the system taints it for everyone; those who truly need it and those of us who fund it. We see enough of that over a lifetime and it’s difficult not to become cynical. 

What's worse is that charity has become a political thing, a sign of how evolved some people think they are. The only thing that's worse than some millennial brat* telling me not to give a dollar to a Salvation Army bellringer because the organization is homophobic is the same millennial brat who wouldn't spit on an actual homeless person if they were on fire. Yes, you do have to be selective if you're thinking about giving money to the guy sitting outside the grocery store or the woman on the off-ramp holding a cardboard sign that says 'please help'. If they're obviously a lot younger than I am and are able-bodied enough to stand on the side of the road for however long, I don't slow down and reach for my pocket, but every now and then I see someone who could obviously use the help, and some change or a dollar doesn't mean I can't buy food that week. It's a situational choice formed by experience, and it's lousy that the good that government programs do can be exploited, but just watching this show gives ample proof of it.

*Generalizing for the sake of convenience. Given how many pampered millennial brats have been litigants on this show, my guess is that they're quite comfortable judging others in Real Life, not just whoever's suing them.

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

What's worse is that charity has become a political thing, a sign of how evolved some people think they are. The only thing that's worse than some millennial brat* telling me not to give a dollar to a Salvation Army bellringer because the organization is homophobic is the same millennial brat who wouldn't spit on an actual homeless person if they were on fire. Yes, you do have to be selective if you're thinking about giving money to the guy sitting outside the grocery store or the woman on the off-ramp holding a cardboard sign that says 'please help'. If they're obviously a lot younger than I am and are able-bodied enough to stand on the side of the road for however long, I don't slow down and reach for my pocket, but every now and then I see someone who could obviously use the help, and some change or a dollar doesn't mean I can't buy food that week. It's a situational choice formed by experience, and it's lousy that the good that government programs do can be exploited, but just watching this show gives ample proof of it.

*Generalizing for the sake of convenience. Given how many pampered millennial brats have been litigants on this show, my guess is that they're quite comfortable judging others in Real Life, not just whoever's suing them.

And half the time, the stuff that gets circulated is inaccurate. There's a meme that's been circulating for eons that says who to give to and who not.  Some of the information on the "bad guys" is completely inaccurate, and some on the "good guys" is also very inaccurate.  I have my own personal issues with the Salvation Army, and how they solicit and then distribute the donations from their holiday gift drive, but I don't down anyone else for wanting to give to them.  

• Love 3

So I'm on Pt.6 of "Escape at Dannemora." The acting and production values are superb, but it's now difficult to watch. We're seeing what those two - the well-endowed Sweat and his buddy, Matt (played by Benecio Del Toro in a chilling performance)- did to end up in prison. Bestial, vile, irredeemable, amoral murderers, gunning down a police officer and torturing and murdering an old man, makes it hard to see the privileges they received in prison, including boffing that lowdown, trashy woman, getting booze and treats (from a guard!) etc. Both of them should have been executed immediately, since there is no redemption for them, rather than pampered and costing taxpayers a fortune both to keep them and to launch the manhunt to capture them after they escaped.  Yes, murder and mayhem suit me on Xmas Eve.

• Love 2

I'm glad the well endowed one (yes, they mentioned it every time the story was on, and I can't stop saying it either), died, and it's only too bad the other one was recaptured.      That lying bag seamstress should have had to reimburse the state for the money they spent hunting for those idiots, because they never could have escaped without her help.    The fact that her stupid current husband stayed with her amazes me, since she cheated on him with at least the prisoner.      I resent that some paint her as an innocent stooge, since she was anything but.   I think it's hysterical that the real woman is claiming there was no sex involved with the prisoner, because everyone of the other prisoners testified the same way about hearing her and her murderous lover boinking in various ways in the supply closet.     

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

because everyone of the other prisoners testified the same way about hearing her and her murderous lover boinking in various ways in the supply closet.     

She was bonking and blowing both of them and her first husband dumped her for her screwing around, nearly in public. If Patricia Arquette's portrayal is accurate, this woman is beyond despicable, vile and skanky. I do have trouble believing her husband is as much of a brain-dead, "duhhh" moron as shown here, but we know from watching JJ this kind of stupidity is possible.

That she was able to smuggle hacksaw blades to her loverboys in packages of ground meat - delivered by a guard (David Morse, so underrated, is awesome here) shows that this prison was kind of a joke in its treatment of vicious, sociopathic murderers. Apparently, the well-hung murderer is still misbehaving. I'm sure the wife and children of the cop he helped kill in cold blood are thrilled to know this POS is sitting and visiting with yet another girlfriend (what's with these women anyway?) and masturbating on Byrd's (and their) dime. Too bad the officer who shot him didn't have a better aim.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 2

Yes the first husband dumped her after he found out she was boinking the current husband and someone else, and they divorced when the kid was barely a year old.    Apparently, the second husband is that stupid.    The second husband adopted the son, who has a lot of issues of his own with domestic violence with the girlfriend, from reports.    

I can't believe her second husband wants a wife who was having another affair when they met, was married then too, and has cheated with both of the prisoners.     I can't believe everyone at Dannemora wasn't fired.    

https://gawker.com/heres-how-two-killers-packing-at-least-one-big-dick-esc-1710194157   

If even half of the allegations about lax supervision from the Gawker article are true, the entire prison needed to be cleaned out, and new personnel assigned.  You have to admit, Gawker certainly isn't shy about their headlines.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Apparently, the second husband is that stupid. 

Judging from the pic of him (and the actor playing him bears an incredible resemblance) yes, I guess he could be that stupid. Great article! I see it was written not long after the escape so I'm sure a lot more information has some out since. That prison is a joke, with their "Honour Block" for sadistic psychopaths.

48 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't believe her second husband wants a wife who was having another affair when they met, was married then too, and has cheated with both of the prisoners.

And those two are just the ones we know about. I think that scuzzy hoe would spread for anyone who asks and let's face it - it's not hard to get prisoners who have no access to women to boff you. Doesn't make her desirable or special. And we think the women of JJ are desperate. 

Anyway, as distasteful as it is, the series is very well-done and I'm only sorry I know the ending and that both of them weren't killed.

• Love 3

I think it's hysterical that the real woman is claiming there was no sex involved with the prisoner, because everyone of the other prisoners testified the same way about hearing her and her murderous lover boinking in various ways in the supply closet.     

At the time, either the NY Daily News or NY Post (can't remember which) had a front page story about this: "Shaw-Skank! Prison Worker Had Sex in Closet with Convict 100 Times!"

And for the record the well-hung one was Matt, who was killed.  And who was drunk when killed. 

• Love 5

You're right, Sarcastico! I need to pay more attention to the endowments of escaped murderers, at least as much attention as was paid by the "ex-detective".

I love this article:

Matt and the dumpy granny got hot and heavy behind the same prison walls — and she fell in love with him, sources said.

Matt — whom an ex-detective has described as “well-endowed” — allegedly persuaded Mitchell to smuggle in tools that he and Sweat used to break out of the maximum-security slammer.

https://nypost.com/2015/06/15/prison-worker-probed-for-sexual-relationship-with-escaped-killer/

• Love 3

I think it ridiculous that the current husband is still supporting her, since the captured Sweat said that part of the escape plan was for Joyce to meet them with the car, and have her husband there too.   The next step of the plan was to kill the husband.   

• Love 3
On 12/30/2018 at 7:45 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think it ridiculous that the current husband is still supporting her, since the captured Sweat said that part of the escape plan was for Joyce to meet them with the car, and have her husband there too.   The next step of the plan was to kill the husband.   

I have not yet seen Sunday's ep, which I plan to do tonight, but that doesn't surprise me. Hubby seems to be missing quite a few brain cells. I don't even understand why they lived in such a dump when both "Tillie" and her nutty husband were making good money at the prison. That this series can remain watchable with every single person in it disgusting, revolting lower life forms, is kind of amazing.

I know not "Roku" or any of the other... stuff so popular now. I wish I did, but I'm falling very far behind. So, getting a new TV (50" since unlike our litigants I didn't feel like splurging on something bigger since Byrd refuses to spring for it) and I have to summon my brother to get it hooked up. I think of the olden days when, if you got a new TV, you put the plug in the wall, screwed in the cable and voila! that was it. I don't even understand all this "wireless" stuff. Everything I have has wires coming out of it. So why "wireless"? I asked my brother, the techhie, but he got annoyed trying to explain to me and spit in my face. Oh, wait. No, he didn't. I  keep confusing JJ-Land with my own world.

All you peeps with this lastest technology are just trying to be all high and mighty.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I have not yet seen Sunday's ep, which I plan to do tonight, but that doesn't surprise me. Hubby seems to be missing quite a few brain cells. I don't even understand why they lived in such a dump when both "Tillie" and her nutty husband were making good money at the prison. That this series can remain watchable with every single person in it disgusting, revolting lower life forms, is kind of amazing.

I know not "Roku" or any of the other... stuff so popular now. I wish I did, but I'm falling very far behind. So, getting a new TV (50" since unlike our litigants I didn't feel like splurging on something bigger since Byrd refuses to spring for it) and I have to summon my brother to get it hooked up. I think of the olden days when, if you got a new TV, you put the plug in the wall, screwed in the cable and voila! that was it. I don't even understand all this "wireless" stuff. Everything I have has wires coming out of it. So why "wireless"? I asked my brother, the techhie, but he got annoyed trying to explain to me and spit in my face. Oh, wait. No, he didn't. I  keep confusing JJ-Land with my own world.

All you peeps with this lastest technology are just trying to be all high and mighty.

Roku is one (probably the best) of many devices that via apps, allow you to stream content from the Internet (like Netflix, Hulu and the like) directly to your TV. Chances are your new TV has many of the same apps built in making a separate streaming device unnecessary. About 14 months ago I cut the cable cord and now get all of my programming via the old fashioned attic antenna (beautiful digital picture!) and the apps on my smart TV. It was a month long conversion involving upgrading a bunch of stuff and also a total obsession, but it was worth it. I saved a bundle and gave up almost nothing. The good old days weren’t always that good! These TV days are WAY better!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Byrd is the Word said:

The good old days weren’t always that good!

Oh, I didn't say they were better, just simple. I have a rooftop antenna as well (I use it to watch MeTV). I really need to look into what you suggest, as I hate and despise my TV/internet provider and would love to cut them out.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, I didn't say they were better, just simple.

And I wasn’t referring to you in particular! I had a weekend of MIL and “remember when” so I’m a bit over sensitive. 🙄

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Byrd is the Word said:

I had a weekend of MIL and “remember when” so I’m a bit over sensitive.

Haha! I like to regale my niece about the hardships we endured in olden times. "Do you know," I said to her, "when your Dad and I were young, we had to get off our chairs to change channels on the TV and even to change the volume??" Hard times indeed.

43 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

@AngelaHunter  Don't get your brother to explain it to you, just get him to hook it up for you

Thanks SS. You're right. Sometime back he got me a media player and set it all up for me but lately when I try to get stuff from my puter on it, it didn't work. He checked it out at Xmas and told me I was logged out or something and asked for the password to log in. "How would I know my password??" I asked him. People expect too much.

45 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

James Spader transcends sex symbol territory.

He's not my type, and we know from watching JJ that everyone seems to have a "type" (I do!) but the few movies in which I've seen him impressed me. His lady fans do seem to be quite taken with him. I think the first movie in which I saw him was "White Palace" with Susan Sarandon. Loved it, as I did "Secretary" which was so different and quirky and awesome. I don't think anyone could have successfully played that role but him.

• Love 3