Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Santa Bites

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

A house fire leads members of the truck and squad to race to save the lives of the couple trapped inside, and then are faced with the perplexing aftermath. Meanwhile, Chief Boden prepares to start his new family, while the combination of life at work and home pushes Casey and Dawson apart. Elsewhere Molly’s II has its chance to shine at the Chicago Holiday Fest.

Bizarre episode!  Was that husband trying to kill his wife, or to disfigure her in a fire like he had been?  I hope that was entirely fabricated and not ripped from some headline.

Casey, you in trou-ble! 

My guess for where Peter and Brett are:  the mafia dude kidnapped them to treat one of his mafia gang of a bullet wound or something. 

• Love 1
My guess for where Peter and Brett are:  the Mafia dude kidnapped them to treat one of his Mafia gang of a bullet wound or something.

I hope you are right; however, it looks like they ran over a homeless person to place Peter and Brett in that blocked alley near their firehouse, that's a lot of collateral damage even for the Mafia (at least the Mafia living in my head.)

Wasn't sure what Peter was apologizing for with that gift for Brett.  I wonder if the still-wrapped gift will now come in handy.

Brett does have a card saying called Gus anytime for any reason.  I hope she has access to a cell phone now.

How quickly Severide has forgotten his wife, you know, the one he declared his love to last week. 

It seemed really out of character for Casey to go on a drunken binge and convince his alcoholic friend to go with him.  Maybe that was the point.  Jesse Spencer did a great acting job being drunk.

Speaking of acting, props to Monica for her expressions during the silent scene by the Christmas tree.

Really?  Someone with a late-term high-risk pregnancy is hanging around the firehouse and not in a hospital?  A touching scene watching Boden deliver his own baby, but honestly, Boden should have let Severide do it.  Focus on being a father, Boden, Severide is a professional, he will forget everything he saw. 

Why isn't the squad allowed to hang in the lounge with the comfortable couches?  It looks like they are hidden away behind firetrucks on folding chairs.  Cute scene of them putting together a puzzle, but I bet that gets old quickly.  I would be on Duolingo learning a foreign in the corner.

Didn't really get the man and his wife story either, although it was filled was nice unexpected plot twists.

If I hear "Chicago Med" mentioned one more time, I am going to start programing my TiVo to record it.

What was with that random quote about a doctor being a lesbian?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

What was with that random quote about a doctor being a lesbian?

Not sure. And it was weird. Why couldn't he have just said, "Yeah, she was one of Shay's friends." Or he could have just said that he knew who she was. 

OH NO! Casey and Gabby are having problems!!! *looks around and can't find any shit to give* Ah well.

Ok as cliche as it was to have the "not make it to the hospital" (shout out Chicago Med!) story I have to say Bowden's reaction to his child being born was pretty fantastic.

• Love 7

Not sure. And it was weird. Why couldn't he have just said, "Yeah, she was one of Shay's friends." Or he could have just said that he knew who she was.

I think Newhouse was kinda implying that he and the doctor had a flirting thing going on. Well, I think that's what Severide thought. I don't know why he said it so harshly, though.

Brett does have a card saying called Gus anytime for any reason.  I hope she has access to a cell phone now.

ooooooooooooooooooooooh ! nice call! i forgot all about this!!!!!

The commenters at TVLine are predicting that the limo was not the mafia, but the guy who eyeballed Mills at the last job/stakeout he did with Newsome (??? not sure of name. Squad guy with the side PI business).  that would be a good twist.

that poor homeless man got run over on purpose, and THEN got left in the cold while the EMTs were taken. I wish they had shown someone at least checking his vitals.

WHO DOESN'T NOTICE AN AMBULANCE IS GONE ALL DAY?!?!!?!?

I'm with you MaryHedwig - high-risk, late-term pg momma should be on bed-rest at least, if not in hospital. Esp if she could "hemorrhage" at any moment.

My hatred for Gabby continues apace.

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 3

This episode was a disjointed mish-mash, none of it done well.  The husband/wife plot - just not enough resolution at all, kept waiting for another shoe to drop or some light to be shed on WHY.  The ambulance missing all day/parked in an alley wide-open all day - and NOBODY notices,  firefighters or the public?  Casey/Dawson, please, please end this soon.  I hate the way Molly's II has just been a running joke for so long, so I guess I'm glad it got a good home, but don't make my Steve Brady look like a moron.  On local news.   Just so awful.  The only plot that seemed decently developed was the mob guy/abduction of medics.  

I hope things pick up after the break because I am thiiiiiis close to deleting this show from the DVR. 

• Love 4

Didn't the guys who "own" Molly's 2 spend quite a bit of money to buy the truck and have it refurbished and brought up to code for food service?   And If so, did they just donate that money to the Chaplain??

Casey finally managed to spend some time alone with Kelly even though he couldn't manage to pluck his head out of Gabby's butt a few weeks ago when Kelly was sinking into a black hole of grief after Shay's death. I've said it before, but Gabby is making me hate Casey and that makes me hate her even more. They need to break up, but they won't. Casey will grovel for forgiveness next episode and we'll be stuck with them.

I think the squad members can sit wherever they want, but only they can sit at their table by the trucks. Didn't someone try to sit there once and Kelly went all "Mean Girls" on them and was like "This is the SQUAD'S table!" I know that I would be hanging out with the guys from truck, they seem to have more fun together.

Seriously, how many times has Brett been put in danger since she's been on this show? I think her and Gabby are going to have a Mary Sue-off at some point.

• Love 5

I really hate tv labor and delivery, with 5 minute labors and 2 pushes and boom out comes baby. It usually doesn't happen like that in the real world.

Why don't we all, take up a collection and send Dawson to med school preferably not Chicago Med.

• Love 6

Is the traffic in Chicago that bad, or are the drivers in Chicago that ignorant, that nobody yields for a fire truck in full siren and lights? The Chief has his own (smaller) command vehicle, does he not? Would that be more appropriate for emergency patient transfer than a fire truck? Oh right, his wife would not be able to deliver in a mere SUV.

Regarding Molly II, it seems like the only concern they have is the bad publicity. But what about damages and other liabilities occurred in the festival caused by the runaway truck?

And yeah, did Severide divorce his wife or did he not? 

Is the traffic in Chicago that bad, or are the drivers in Chicago that ignorant, that nobody yields for a fire truck in full siren and lights? 

Nah, I've been working downtown for two years and they were tearing the crap out of Chicago Ave at the river for the last month and still ambulances get through just fine, even in rush hour. And we're pretty good in the Chicagoland area about getting over for emergency vehicles. Yeah, doesn't help that they took the largest vehicle they own, though.

And damn, wasn't she in danger of an abruption or pre-eclampsia or something? One of those "really likely to tank in seconds" issues? I was surprised it was the baby that had a problem with meconium inhalation instead.

• Love 1

Chicago med, really? Is that going to be a show? What a unique concept, a hospital set in Chicago. Not at all like "ER" or "Chicago Hope", no completely different concept.

I thought I read the idea was discussed but discarded? Or maybe that was just a rumor or something. I do think it would be too close to ER, but since that show was a smash, maybe NBC, wanting those days of sweet ratings victories (and Must See TV) back, would go for a retread, anyway.

I mean, '80s shows have been remade. And axed quickly! But they were remade. Time will tell if Dick Wolf will try to grow his latest franchise as successfully as he did with Law & Order, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and the other couple of such under the umbrella that, unlike these three, didn't last.

• Love 1

I really hate tv labor and delivery, with 5 minute labors and 2 pushes and boom out comes baby. It usually doesn't happen like that in the real world.

Not only that but she manages to climb down from the fire truck to the ground and then onto the stretcher without any real assistance.

Also aren't people who drive fire trucks, and dispatchers generally supposed to know where there is construction and where traffic is bad, so they can direct the trucks to roads that aren't so busy?

The Gaby/Casey thing is kind of interesting, only because I find it refreshing that Matt is standing up for himself and not putting up with her crap.

• Love 2
The Gaby/Casey thing is kind of interesting, only because I find it refreshing that Matt is standing up for himself and not putting up with her crap.

It is also interesting because we are seeing more dimensions of Casey.  He is clearly not helping the relationship by refusing to talk things out with Dawson, but why would he have good communication skills?  Certainly his parents did not.  In real life Casey would be racked with post-traumatic stress from the murder of his father; the incarceration of his mother; the death of his best friend (Darden in the pilot); the hasty removal of Darden's children he had all but adopted; the death of his fiance; and isn't he one good head-bump away from losing all mental capacity?  Of course Casey can't manage drama queen Dawson at home and at work. Honestly, Casey would be better off adopting his niece Violet (I still see that coming) and taking a break from romance for a while.  Matt, take time to release those pent-up feelings, and not with tequila shots.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

Having your boyfriend as your direct supervisor is a horrible idea. Why they thought that getting around it was going to be a good idea, I don't know.  Doesn't anyone know that's a poor mix?  And then the guy who complained about it not working out got shot down and told to deal with it?  That's stupid.  

There were so many missteps last night.  It was disappointing. The baby birthing scenes on tv are so cliche.  Please do something different.  

Then there's the unbelievable story of the missing parametics..  No police, no fireman, nobody else showed up. Normally there's a couple of teams who appear.  No passerby noticed an ambulance unattended for 7 hours?  Please......lol

We haven't heard the last of the father who's upset about the death of his on.  His apology was a lie.  He's dangerous, IMO.

• Love 2

Man, I  wish Casey would have slept with that other girl, guess not, but Gabby completely exploded, I hope they separate forever and Casey find a girl not involved in his work.

Yeah like one week from divorce Severide finds a blonde that almost looks like his ex-wife, way to go?

Oh oh I hope they don't kill yet another paramedic, they can't get a break!

• Love 3

Not only that but she manages to climb down from the fire truck to the ground and then onto the stretcher without any real assistance.

Wonder who and how the umbilical cord was cut. Did anyone see the umbilical cord? or do they not come attached to the baby anymore? (my baby is 52 years old and a lot has changed, since he was born)

Also Dawson and Matt come to work in different cars and she runs up to him, "can we talk"?  in the station, which is why they are having problems at home, because of the station..He won't talk to her at home, so he's gonna talk to you now, Gabby? Bye, Felicia!!! 

I've only seen "Gabby" in one other role,the  ADA in "the good wife". I didn't like her then.

She is one of those actresses that makes me think, she isn't acting. 

Edited by coloradoqt
Wonder who and how the umbilical cord was cut. Did anyone see the umbilical cord? or do they not come attached to the baby anymore? (my baby is 52 years old and a lot has changed, since he was born)

Good catch.  That baby did not come with an umbilical cord, but that is not because he is a "modern" baby, it is because Boden refused to give him two last names.

Also Dawson and Matt come to work in different cars and she runs up to him, "can we talk"?  in the station, which is why they are having problems at home, because of the station..He won't talk to her at home, so he's gonna talk to you now, Gabby? Bye, Felicia!!!

I actually think that Gabby and Matt arrived in two different cars because Matt did not sleep at their shared home the night before.  I am assuming that Gabby didn't quite figure that out at that point, maybe she thought when she woke up and he was already out for a jog or something.  If not, she would have insisted that they have a talk at that time.

Edited by MaryHedwig

That baby did not come with an umbilical cord, but that is not because he is a "modern" baby, it is because Boden refused to give him two last names

Maybe that was their Christmas baby, wink wink.

As soon as that guy bumped the gear shift in Mollys2, I said, "Did you set any chocks?"  Sure enough, they agreed with me.

...the limo was not the mafia, but the guy who eyeballed Mills at the last job/stakeout he did with Newsome...

I think it was Michelle Forbes from the State Accounting Office.

Although the obvious take is that burned guy started the fire, an alternative theory might be that his wife started it to try and kill him.  Doesn't match up with his story, but it could be a twist.

Instead of marketing sweets and food, the  51 guys should be selling whatever hangover remedy they use to show up for work every morning bright eyed and bushy tailed.

• Love 3

As soon as that guy bumped the gear shift in Mollys2, I said, "Did you set any chocks?"  Sure enough, they agreed with me.

Although the obvious take is that burned guy started the fire, an alternative theory might be that his wife started it to try and kill him.  Doesn't match up with his story, but it could be a twist.

The annoying thing about the Molly's truck is that Cruz is a fire truck driver. I would have to assume that he would have more specialized drivers training than most people have had. 

The thing with the guy and the house fire was weird. How did they know it was the guy who started it. Like you said could have just as easily been the wife trying for some murder suicide thing. I wonder if we will get any follow up?

I thought they assumed it was the husband who set the fire, because he had been involved in a serious fire as a teen. I guess that was a hint that he set that fire years ago too and got trapped and burned. I suppose he deals with people he doesn't like that way or he's a pyromananic.

• Love 1

I know that the show has been a serious mess this season b/c I liked this 1. It was missteps everywhere, and I liked it. But only in comparison to 90% of the season. Last week was an improvement over the entire season. And this week better than last. But I am with many of the posters who may be at the hate watching, or not watching at all stage.

So, guess Chicago taxpayers should be aware that paramedics and an ambulance can simply not be heard from for an entire day/shift and no one notices. Forget about 51 looking or wondering. Forget about dispatches "computers being down". Apparently all the citizens just moving about the city never crossed their path, and no one else needed an ambulance that day. Check.

Realize this is a show about "drama". But really? Boden's magic baby. Can't a baby on tv just be born in a hospital. Mom goes in to labor. Calls the father, who is then, rightly so, frantic to get there. Ta-da. They could have had Donna call from the hospital. Boden would have been paralyzed. And then Steve Brady jump in with the, "we got this Chief, I've been through this 200x, let's go, I'll drive"!. Ta-da.

Casey went out w/his boy and got drunk. Big whoop. Severide's wife is gone, and his slutty ways returned. Big whoop. I never thought Casey slept w/the blonde. Assumed it was a misdirection. Ok fine. There was a misunderstanding when she returned Kelly's phone. Big whoop. Casey explained it to Gabby. Big whoop. Please make them stop. Break up already. They suck the life out of the firehouse and the show. Whatever chemistry the two characters had, has been eroded by them working together. It is just the same damn fight over and over 50x an episode. Just make it stop.

I did like the fire starter storyline. Great job of making the truth not something audience could solve 10min in. But more time could have actually been spent on it. I thought it was really interesting. I know this is not a profiling show, but a little discussion about what was going on in his brain would have been great.

Edited by 2KllMckngBrd
  • Love 1

If they wanted us to think Casey slept with the blonde, then they shouldn't have had him wake up on the couch fully dressed.

I was happy he finally blew up with Gabby, although I cheered when Hermann told them to take it elsewhere. She has no clue how to apologize and makes too many smug facial expressions that make me want to slap her.

• Love 3

One thing that keeps bugging me is, when the fire trucks and ambulances arrive at the scene of whatever, where are the police cars?  Every fire, every accident I've ever driven by had several police officers there along with the fire and ambulance crews.  The police direct traffic and provide protection for the fire and ambulance personnel.  Chicago Fire is incredibly unrealistic - but it's entertaining to watch because it is so bad.

• Love 2