Type keyword(s) to search

Away from the 12th Precinct: The Cast in Other Roles

turnitwayup

Took a moment to realize those were suggestions. I would like to see The Muppets on SNL although doing the sketches live would be a tough job.
But having Miss Piggy played absolutely straight as a guest star-- as most of her appearances are-- her 'affair' with NF was hilarious-- would be an interesting challenge for the SNL writers.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, westwingfan said:

Are TV Line just trying to cash in on any lingering interest in all things Castle or have they heard something? The Americans has been renewed for two more seasons, which apparently will be the last. There are only 13 episode seasons, so less demanding, and the show is filmed in NYC and I read a rumour a few months ago that Stana's assitant was apartment hunting in NY. Probably more a case of TV Line flying a kite than any real substance, but you never know, and Stana putting on her Eastern European accent would be a treat. LOL

http://tvline.com/gallery/actors-cancelled-shows-new-tv-roles-photos/#!16/stana-katic/

I think TVLine is just spitballing, but if that came to pass, I'd be thrilled. I love The Americans; it's been one of my few must-watch shows since its first season. It's so different in tone from Castle, but I find it so engaging because at its core, it's a study on marriage and family. It'd definitely be cool to see her thrown into that mix. 

On 5/21/2016 at 4:06 AM, femmefan1946 said:

There's a flurry of interest in having NF in the new Star Trek series. With fans writing to CBS.

The program is slated for 2017.

http://www.scifiob.com/sfob-blog/rumor-mill-nathan-fillion-new-star-trek-captain

It keeps buzzing, I don't doubt they want him - he brings a built-in audience to a new service.  But, I think it's too early and I think it's too risky for him right now.  Subscription service is new.  I don't know if he wants to be the guy who sees if it works or not.  If it were on network, I think he'd take it, Subscription - no, too many other offers to consider.  I think they'll go after him and I think he'll decline.

33 minutes ago, break21 said:

It keeps buzzing, I don't doubt they want him - he brings a built-in audience to a new service.  But, I think it's too early and I think it's too risky for him right now.  Subscription service is new.  I don't know if he wants to be the guy who sees if it works or not.  If it were on network, I think he'd take it, Subscription - no, too many other offers to consider.  I think they'll go after him and I think he'll decline.

I don't know. The model works for Netflix and Amazon. And a pay check is a pay check! (Even though I'm sure Fillion isn't hurting for cash!) But I can see him giving this serious thought if, indeed, the opportunity presents itself. Nathan seems to be some sci-fi overlord of sorts with Firefly and cons and such.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is that Star Trek reboot a limited series or one with 20+ episodes per season?  Because if it's the latter, I don't see Nathan or Stana signing up for something like that anytime soon, unless it's really an offer they can't refuse.  I don't know if Star Trek would be that for someone like Nathan, if he's even offered the role.  Doing something iconic like that has its upsides and potential pitfalls.  I see that Bryan Fuller is in charge of that project and he's a talented creative, so that makes it worth checking out to me even if I've never been a Trekkie.  I think both Nathan and Stana would jump at something like a limited series or something on a streaming/cable network that has an automatic series order.  No worrying about cancelling.  Isn't it what most every actor wants these days?  Especially shows with 'prestige' factor.  I'm just not sure their first port of casting call would be leads from network crime procedurals.  I could see Stana playing some 'badass' Russian spy, but hasn't she done that sort of thing before?  I would rather see her try her hand at something new.  TV Line is definitely just out to get clicks and I don't think the Star Trek rumour is anything more than fancasting.     

I would like to see Nathan have a go at being SNL host but I have no idea if that's attainable.  

Out of curiosity (and to keep board withdrawal at bay :P), how many of you would watch Seamus/Jon/Molly as a lead on a police procedural, or another kind of show?  Or would it depend on the premise?

Edited by madmaverick
15 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Out of curiosity (and to keep board withdrawal at bay :P), how many of you would watch Seamus/Jon/Molly as a lead on a police procedural, or another kind of show?  Or would it depend on the premise?

With both leads apparently being tired of the 22 season slog I would be surprised if they committed any time soon to something similar, although the lure of a juicy part and enough $ could be tempting, that's why The Americans with its 13 episode seasons and due to finish anyway after two more seasons could be a good transition if Stana isn't looking to start a family. I totally expect NF to return to his comfort zone in a sci-fy role where he has a ready made audience, especially those FF fans who were dismissive of him as Castle.

I liked the Rysposito pairing, and something that had a high comedy element might be worth watching, have no intention of watching anything that Molly turns up in again.

• Love 1

Didn't the lead actors of The Americans get together and are having a baby?  I think I read that somewhere.  Maybe 13 episode seasons are conducive to good costar relations/romances.  Just kidding.  But I digress.  Whether Stana wants a baby or not doesn't have to impact much on her acting career, unless it's her choice to take a break.  Plenty of actors juggle both.  I still think her heart's more in film than TV though, just from the way she talks about film vs TV.  But she may be a pragmatist also and we really have no idea what opportunities are available to Castle actors.  As for Nathan, I wouldn't be quick to assume he'll do another scifi series although he clearly has a fanbase from the geek world.  He probably could have done another scifi series after Firefly but he didn't.  Neither Nathan nor Stana appear to have signed any development deals with ABC, so perhaps they are interested in spreading their wings beyond ABC.  And I don't think Marlowe's had any luck launching a new series with ABC either. 

There's not too much known about the new Star Trek series save for Bryan Fuller being its showrunner. If I had to guess, I'll bet casting may start being announced either at or post-Comic Con (since they're premiering the new film there and it'll be a buzz) as it is not supposed to debut until sometime in 2017.

If Nathan did have a part on ST, I'd subscribe to CBS All-Access to watch. But casting in general for that show will be a delicate thing considering all the incarnations it will be compared to when it airs. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Is that Star Trek reboot a limited series or one with 20+ episodes per season?  Because if it's the latter, I don't see Nathan or Stana signing up for something like that anytime soon, unless it's really an offer they can't refuse.  I don't know if Star Trek would be that for someone like Nathan, if he's even offered the role.  Doing something iconic like that has its upsides and potential pitfalls.  I see that Bryan Fuller is in charge of that project and he's a talented creative, so that makes it worth checking out to me even if I've never been a Trekkie.  I think both Nathan and Stana would jump at something like a limited series or something on a streaming/cable network that has an automatic series order.  No worrying about cancelling.  Isn't it what most every actor wants these days?  Especially shows with 'prestige' factor.  I'm just not sure their first port of casting call would be leads from network crime procedurals.  I could see Stana playing some 'badass' Russian spy, but hasn't she done that sort of thing before?  I would rather see her try her hand at something new.  TV Line is definitely just out to get clicks and I don't think the Star Trek rumour is anything more than fancasting.     

I would like to see Nathan have a go at being SNL host but I have no idea if that's attainable.  

I'd watch Seamus because I think he has a lot talent.  Molly, it would depend on the show. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I will be interested to see what the secondary cast (I include TJ in that as well) can do in roles with a bit more depth and substance to them than their supporting player parts on Castle. I might not seek a show out specifically because of their presence but I would be curious to see what else they can do, particularly in a different or bigger roles. Here is hoping they get the opportunity to do so. The entertainment industry is tough and a secondary role on Castle for 8 seasons may be the best that some get in their career. Not a knock, just recognition of how difficult it is to get a steady, well paying job in entertainment. 

I only had a passing knowledge of who NF was when I started watching Castle, thanks to Dr Horrible and his cameos on the Big Bang Theory and The Guild (I still haven't watched Firefly). I had not heard of anyone else in the cast. I will be interested to see what projects are next for the entire cast, not just the secondary cast. Whether I watch will be more dependent on what the project is than any particular actor. I do hope they can all find new projects. I enjoyed Castle's run (in spite of the bumps) and the cast was a major part of that. 

Edited by GoGiants
  • Love 1
(edited)

Clips from Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place, with Nathan Fillion and Ryan Reynolds etc., now being released on DVD.  Never watched the show back in the day, but I found Nathan quite funny in the wedding clip.  So young!  Decent chemistry with costars too.  For anyone who watched, is it worth a watch or would it be very dated?  Curious why RR was a breakout star from this series.

clip

clip 2

(The swimsuit lol and NF in a bad fitting plaid shirt that was probably on trend then heh.)

Edited by madmaverick

Huh!  I remember watching that show for a bit and thought it was somewhat cute back in the day, but I had no recollection of Fillion being in it.  Googled a bit and learned that he didn't join until the second season.  So, my review is that I remember it (maybe just for the title) but apparently didn't last through the first season, so I'm no help.

I hope that helps!:)

1 hour ago, madmaverick said:

Clips from Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place, with Nathan Fillion and Ryan Reynolds etc., now being released on DVD.  Never watched the show back in the day, but I found Nathan quite funny in the wedding clip.  So young!  Decent chemistry with costars too.  For anyone who watched, is it worth a watch or would it be very dated?

I only saw bits of the show, but it had charm. It was in the mid to late '90s so aside from technological advances, I doubt it would be too dated. Friends hasn't suffered for being from that time period.

Thanks for the info, guys.  It did give off a bit of a Friends vibe.  Feels like years since I've watched something with a laugh track though I think I would still enjoy shows like Frasier and Friends as I did back in the day.

RR just annoyed me in that show (The DVD has been out on PAL for some time. I got mine through eBayAustralia). I remember watching a couple of the first season shows because it had a Canadian star and I am very patriotic. Also Traylor Howard -- speaking of actresses aging out of the business.

NF joined in the second season and was really shoehorned into the cast. One minute he is fixing a jukebox, next episode he is The Girl's bidie-in. Because: Nathan Fillion.

The actor I really liked was Jillian Bach who played Irene the Cat Lady. Another actress who didn't go much of anywhere after that show. I found her portrayal very touching for such a butt-monkey character.

Congrats to Jon.  First one to land a new gig.  Sounds like a promising project too, with good cast and producers, and apparently it was one of the best reviewed pilots.  There don't seem to be too many dramedies of this sort on network TV anymore, so I'm interested to check the show out anyway.  Could fill my Parenthood hole.  I'm glad he's not doing another crime procedural or playing another cop/military guy.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/this-is-us-jon-huertas-dan-fogelman-nbc-dramedy-1201794685/

• Love 2
5 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Congrats to Jon.  First one to land a new gig.  Sounds like a promising project too, with good cast and producers, and apparently it was one of the best reviewed pilots.  There don't seem to be too many dramedies of this sort on network TV anymore, so I'm interested to check the show out anyway.  Could fill my Parenthood hole.  I'm glad he's not doing another crime procedural or playing another cop/military guy.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/this-is-us-jon-huertas-dan-fogelman-nbc-dramedy-1201794685/

Congrats Jon!

14 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

I can't find that online and it doesn't seem to play for me. Do you have a URL?

It has the dreaded gray screen/dots in the original video above, which means YT (or the user) has removed it.

On Friday, July 29, 2016 at 9:56 AM, madmaverick said:

I'm thrilled that there might be a show for me this fall. I doubt I'd have even known about it if Jon hadn't moved to the show.

It played fine for me.  It's just basically the scene of Alan wearing the spacesuit with the voiceover and him stumbling around in it.

And apparently, Jon landed a role in Elementary 502.  Busy bee.  Interesting change around if he plays a person of interest instead of a cop for a change. 

6 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

I hope not.  I'd like to see him venture out of broadcast TV.

If he does, he could fit in on a Netflix comedy or something. But cable seems to be reserved now for dark/edgy fare and actors, so Nathan would seem like an odd fit there.

9 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

If he does, he could fit in on a Netflix comedy or something. But cable seems to be reserved now for dark/edgy fare and actors, so Nathan would seem like an odd fit there.

I think he could do very well in comedy and he always has a natural joie de vivre that comes across, but I'd actually love to see him in something dark and edgy! Something completely different to what we saw on Castle (except on rare occasions like when Alexis was kidnapped).  With Netflix doing shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, I think that kind of universe could be his cup of tea.  Even something like Stranger Things would be cool.  As I see it, they're taking risks with characterisation and storytelling on Netflix/Amazon/cable that simply aren't happening on network.  Not to say every one of those series is good, but if you fail at least you fail big and you tried something new.  Network series, even when well executed, can feel safe and bland in comparison.  And I also think doing way less than 22 episodes a year really ups the odds of good quality. ;)

It would be interesting to see any of the Castle gang on the opposite of an interrogation table after playing cops for so long.

Susan Sullivan will be guesting on The Real O'Neals.  Never watched that show, never even heard of it.  Anyone?  But I'll check the episode out for Susan.  Will be weird seeing her with presumably blonde hair again after so long as a redhead!  

Nice that the Castle actors seem to be quickly in demand post Castle.

Nathan tweeted that he's doing a table read for Modern Family today so his episode should be in the early part of the season. 

2 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Susan Sullivan will be guesting on The Real O'Neals.  Never watched that show, never even heard of it.  Anyone?  But I'll check the episode out for Susan.  Will be weird seeing her with presumably blonde hair again after so long as a redhead!  

I've heard of it. It's on ABC and began mid season this past March or so. And got some negative buzz when the young lead actor made some harsh statements in the press about how gays are portrayed on Modern Family, etc. (The actor himself is gay.) Martha Plimpton is also a part of the cast. Good luck to Susan!

3 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I've heard of it. It's on ABC and began mid season this past March or so. And got some negative buzz when the young lead actor made some harsh statements in the press about how gays are portrayed on Modern Family, etc. (The actor himself is gay.) Martha Plimpton is also a part of the cast. Good luck to Susan!

Thanks for the info.  I liked Martha Plimpton on The Good Wife.  Had no idea she was in this show.  Would love to see her in a drama rather than a sitcom, but we'll see.  The show name keeps making me think of Ryan O'Neal. 

5 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Thanks for the info.  I liked Martha Plimpton on The Good Wife.  Had no idea she was in this show.  Would love to see her in a drama rather than a sitcom, but we'll see.  The show name keeps making me think of Ryan O'Neal. 

Actually, Martha Plimpton has done quite a few dramas (in guest roles) such as ER years ago, Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Criminal Intent (different role on each of those two [even though they are in the same show universe]; she excelled at playing a psycho in the latter!) And she also did comedy in Raising Hope, so she seems to do her fair share of both genres.

And the father of the family is Jay R Ferguson who played Dick Coonan on Castle and Stan on Mad Men. Dan Savage is the /an Executive Producer.

I've quite enjoyed it-- but Martha Plimpton would encourage me to watch anything she tries.

• Love 1

It is a good show.  The kid who is the lead (Irish Catholic son of an Irish Catholic family, how he comes out as a teenager, and how his family deals - and they actually deal very nicely), is gay and something like 22 and had a very stupid interview a few months ago bashing other gay actors who he hadn't met about how they had chosen to come out.

The kid was a jerk, and I hope it doesn't tank the show.  It was created by Dan Savage, based or at least inspired by his own story and how his family, especially his mother, responded.  I look forward to how Susan fits in.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

It is a good show.  The kid who is the lead (Irish Catholic son of an Irish Catholic family, how he comes out as a teenager, and how his family deals - and they actually deal very nicely), is gay and something like 22 and had a very stupid interview a few months ago bashing other gay actors who he hadn't met about how they had chosen to come out.

The kid was a jerk, and I hope it doesn't tank the show.  It was created by Dan Savage, based or at least inspired by his own story and how his family, especially his mother, responded.  I look forward to how Susan fits in.

This. It took me a few episodes but I found it enjoyable. 

That looks like it could be fun. Do you need a smartphone to play it?

I've actually organized a con in real life-- and persuading the hotel to keep the washrooms clean is a major task. We got an Aurora nomination for that. The committee. For the Con. Not the washrooms.