Type keyword(s) to search

Away from the 12th Precinct: The Cast in Other Roles

turnitwayup

I was surprised to read these actors actually do get tipsy on this show. (There are those behind the scenes who make sure the actors don't overdo things or to be there for any issues that arise.)

So I wonder if NF will be a funny drunk...

So the premise of the show is that actors get drunk or fake drunk and reenact historical events?  Heh, people sure are creative with their show ideas.  I guess everyone would have to be a funny drunk on a comedy sketch show.  He does look rather sinister there.  Like a villainous barber or villainous lab scientist heh. Looking forward to seeing him play something different.

So the premise of the show is that actors get drunk or fake drunk and reenact historical events?  Heh, people sure are creative with their show ideas.  I guess everyone would have to be a funny drunk on a comedy sketch show.  He does look rather sinister there.  Like a villainous barber or villainous lab scientist heh. Looking forward to seeing him play something different.

Yes to drunk. No to fake drunk. There is a reason the show is titled Drunk History, after all!  :-)  And those re-enacting are usually guest actors - a la what NF will be, maybe - while the narrator(s) [drunkenly] explain the action and comment. Kind of like MST3000 with alcohol and re-enactments! Some stars are hysterical. Others...sort of hard to understand and go off on tangents. It's the lure of the unpredictable to...liven up the stories being told, I guess!

I guess as long as folks don't overdo it, it's pretty much no-holds-barred.

Better yet, let the creator describe it.

I was skipping through the commercials one night and I thought I saw Pi, so I rewound but I'm still not sure. Can anyone confirm? It's the one for the Toyota Camry where a guy goes to a wedding and takes off with the bride while the groomsmen try to follow but have the road blocked by dogs. 

Now that I describe it, it makes me sound as though I'm on hallucinogens, but the actor who plays the guy who "does not hold his peace" looks like a clean-shaven version of the one who played Pi. Or maybe I have some fort of Castle-related derangement!

It's him. And Rogan is in a commercial I see a lot, I think for insurance, where he says "I'm never getting married" then gets married, "we're never having kids" then has kids, etc. until he's got a family and says something like "no place I'd rather be."

Yes to drunk. No to fake drunk. There is a reason the show is titled Drunk History, after all!  :-)  And those re-enacting are usually guest actors - a la what NF will be, maybe - while the narrator(s) [drunkenly] explain the action and comment. Kind of like MST3000 with alcohol and re-enactments! Some stars are hysterical. Others...sort of hard to understand and go off on tangents. It's the lure of the unpredictable to...liven up the stories being told, I guess!

I guess as long as folks don't overdo it, it's pretty much no-holds-barred.

Better yet, let the creator describe it.

Thanks for the info, Wendy.  That clip of Jack Black as Elvis was a bit traumatic :P, like NF's Elvis was heh.  Actual drunk may actually be easier to play than fake drunk, but obviously harder to control!  Sounds like it could go really well in terms of being funny, or suck badly.  Maybe the unpredictability is part of the draw.  

Watching Annie Wersching on Bosch and I'm quite enjoying the show.  She plays a rookie cop and very different from her role on Castle.  Would love to see any of the Castle actors do a quality, low key acting, more gritty detective show like this.

Edited by madmaverick

Drunk History is a fantastic show with a ridiculous, yet extremely satisfying, premise. I've even mainlined the UK version.

If anyone hasn't seen an episode this one with Jen Kirkman as the drunk historian, teaching us about Fredrick Douglass is my absolute favourite.

I'm always pleased to see NF in non-Castle roles, so I doubly can't wait for his ep.

Stana has signed in again:

Stana Katic @Stana_Katic  ·  2h 2 hours ago
Thanks 4 all the well wishes! Filming a movie off-grid. Working w/fantastic people in a secret location. Looking 4ward 2 sharing when I can.

I chuckled reading that and took her mention of filming in a "secret location" to be code for all those rabid fans (borderline stalkers IMO) who met her in Italy last hiatus to buzz off. The sad part is those same folks probably have no idea that was directed at them. 

(edited)

I chuckled reading that and took her mention of filming in a "secret location" to be code for all those rabid fans (borderline stalkers IMO) who met her in Italy last hiatus to buzz off. The sad part is those same folks probably have no idea that was directed at them. 

I don't think those folks would get a clue, but even if they did, sadly I don't think it would change their behaviour.  Camping out (worse, stalking) to meet a celebrity is something I would never do, but for those people who do, isn't it enough to meet the person once?  Why is it necessary to go out of the way to meet them again and again?  Isn't it embarrassing?  A clueless person asks.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Castle Con in Germany turns out, especially given the current uncertainty about the show which may or may not be fully resolved by then.  Stana won't be there so maybe the rabid stalkers also won't be.  Not sure how cons work but if the actors and the fans all stay in the same hotel, then isn't that like a stalker's dream come true?

Edited by madmaverick

I have to admit I've camped out before to meet my favorite celebrity, but it was an official event that only the first 100 people got tickets to. I would never do it for something in which the celebrity is not intending/hired to meet fans (like going to their hotel etc.).

In that case, Flicker, I hope the event was everything you hoped it would be!  :)   I have lined up in a very loooooong queue for Wimbledon although my commitment did not extend to camping out the night before, and I have lined up for a book signing.  

Not sure how cons work but if the actors and the fans all stay in the same hotel, then isn't that like a stalker's dream come true?

SF cons are usually very careful to allow their stars personal space. They are booked to different hotels, have drivers for arrivals, there is a Green Room for the stars to relax in that are closed to con-goers, and usually a large curtained off area for them to move around in.

At more 'literary' cons the stars tend to be writers and there is less security, and the security is usually volunteer fen. Which can lead to some odd situations in itself.

(edited)
Nathan is dressed better here than on Castle,

Yeah well that's a given when it comes to Mr Fillion's appearances on non Castle related projects. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1
(edited)
Saw this Nathan interview and photos for a Tyler Shields exhibit on Just Jared. Man on the Moon You Tube vid.

That played like a cheeky Mad Men homage.  "Bumpy air" heh.  Not a fan of the slicked hair, but it's nice to see him more dapper for once. They should have a seduction scene like that on Castle sometime to inject some sexual tension.  Beckett playing around with Castle's buttons, or vice-versa.  Slowly.  Even married couples can have fun like this.

Of course Nathan is dressed better here than on Castle,

I was just thinking that, and then I saw the credits.

Funny enough, Luke is in the credits of the video for the tailored suits. So he's capable when he wants to be.

What gives, Luke? His suit in this short looked better tailored than the ones he wears on Castle.  I guess Nathan really likes Luke and/or think he dresses him well to involve him even in projects off Castle.  

At a guess the 'friend who was on Mad Men' would be the ineffable Christina Hendricks?

Nice to see Nathan and Michelle Monaghan reunited as I did enjoy their work together in Trucker.  Would love to see Nathan work together with Christina Hendricks again too!  

Trailer for a puppet film that Nathan's doing titled Yamasong: March of the Hollows, which may not have been posted here yet.  Should be something different for sure!  Sounds like a talented voice cast.  Nathan plus Whoopi Goldberg should be interesting.

https://vimeo.com/126826275

Edited by madmaverick

What gives, Luke? His suit in this short looked better tailored than the ones he wears on Castle.  I guess Nathan really likes Luke and/or think he dresses him well to involve him even in projects off Castle.

I'd be cursing him but Nathan doesn't strike me as caring that much about fashion and will wear whatever he gets given but it's a cruel and unusual punishment to find Luke inexplicably managing to dress his client/friend better when he's not on the show and then subject me to the predictable weekly horrors of ill fitting suits and jackets for Castle.

Trailer for a puppet film that Nathan's doing titled Yamasong: March of the Hollows, which may not have been posted here yet.  Should be something different for sure!  Sounds like a talented voice cast.  Nathan plus Whoopi Goldberg should be interesting.

This project sounds right up my alley story-wise, voice actors are solid, and I love animation. Downside is I'm not that fond of puppets, and while the characters look pretty interesting, I'm not sure about the motion thing. It looks kinda jerky and creates a homemade feel, would throw me out of the story I think. Still gonna give it a look though, but I couldn't find when it comes out (?). IMDB only mentions 2015 in general.

Thanks for the video, I see what you mean about the puppets, here's an interview I found with the Director. No confirmation when it comes out here either. 

INTERVIEW: Sam Koji Hale on His Upcoming All-Puppet Feature Film YAMASONG: MARCH OF THE HOLLOWS

Each actor was a unique experience! George Takei shared stories of Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek, and compared my film with the franchise for its diverse characters working together to build a peaceful future – that was a high compliment coming from George. I definitely also got the sense he was involved to my development as an up-and-coming artist of Japanese-American descent.

Freida Pinto was a hoot with her insistence on jumping off furniture and hitting things to get more into the action of her character! And I admire her activism outside of her film career too – she had just released her documentary “India’s Daughter” when we were recording her. Peter Weller is a walking scholar, and regaled us with his impromptu lecture on his character and the medieval pagan symbolism in its design. Fascinating stuff. Nathan Fillion complimented me on my “Serenity” t-shirt and shared how he had a Grover puppet as a kid and got really good at puppeteering! Ed Asner made me promise to will him his puppet character when I die, because he planned on sticking around until then! I have many more stories – many good first experiences, and AMAZING voice performances, from these top-notch stars.

Nathan Fillion complimented me on my “Serenity” t-shirt and shared how he had a Grover puppet as a kid and got really good at puppeteering!

Well. That just proves the Stana fans were right all along.

Nathan IS The Monster At The End Of This Book!

• Love 1
(edited)

In terms of this project, I've been following Amin since Captain Abu Raed days so excited to see what he does with this one.

Edited by Nadine
(edited)

Petra? Like the Roman ruins that were in Agatha Christie's Murder in Mesopotamia? And Ricky Gervais' Idiot's Guide? And I think a Indiana Jones movie?

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/03/07/Reports-ISIS-bulldozed-ancient-Hatra-city-in-Mosul.html

I think it is currently being threatened by ISIL.

Hatra is Iraq, Petra is in Jordan, tourism is down due to the conflict in its neighbouring countries. But yes to Indie Jones. Edited by Nadine
(edited)

I would say Jordan is still a pretty safe tourist destination.  Who wouldn't love to shoot a movie in Petra?!  This latest project of Stana's is more interesting to me than her other hiatus ones so hopefully it turns out well.

I don't understand the constant uploading and then removal of pics with Stana in them.  People should just ask permission first if they are going to post something with someone else in it.  And they're naive when they don't realise that Castle/Stana fans are stalkerish forensic scientists who will save and repost anything within one milisecond of it being posted anywhere. ;)  Removal is futile!

Nathan is voicing another animated movie, the comedy cartoon Henchmen.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/james-marsden-thomas-middleditch-henchmen-animated-comedy-1201507640/

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

http://detectivebecks.tumblr.com/post/120336285108/zoran-popovic-living-on-the-edge-in-petra

Stana in Petra, I take it this was the shot which got removed, too late for tumblr! I don't know why they bother. She looks soooo. young and pretty there. I would love to go to Petra, I get so angry thinking about ISIS not only for their savagery against their fellow human beings with their preachings of ignorance, intolerance and hate but their wilful destruction and threats to wipe out ancient buildings that have survived so much until now. Good job Petra is out of their reach.

(edited)

http://detectivebecks.tumblr.com/post/120336285108/zoran-popovic-living-on-the-edge-in-petra

Stana in Petra, I take it this was the shot which got removed, too late for tumblr! I don't know why they bother. She looks soooo. young and pretty there. 

I'd be going with copyright reasons for removing the photos (not because of privacy issues - even though the two go hand in hand at times) - since the film is still in production.

Edited by Nadine
(edited)

Hang With video of Nathan & Co. on the set of Con Man.  Would be cool if they did these sorts of live vids on the set of Castle!

https://www.hangwith.com/user/ConMan/556caf58e4b01a63b52ed137

Looks similar to his Castle wardrobe:

https://twitter.com/ConManSeries/status/605522545698205696

but then we get this also lol:

https://twitter.com/daisycakes4/status/605772571255017475/photo/1

Above was from another video from set.  Alan's playing with Nathan's hat heh.

https://www.hangwith.com/user/ConMan/556dd510e4b053c5b6020638

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

Thanks for the video and pics of Nathan madmaverick, I like that second outfit wouldn't mind him turning up at the precinct like that heh. It would be a change from the boring blue button downs that's for sure. 

The view was great, he was right, pity he shaved I'm still moping about that. 

Edited by verdana

drstanakatic

12 hours ago

Peaceful at sea.

Incredibly fortunate to be working with passionate, talented filmmakers from across the globe.

https://instagram.com/p/3mdl0Jx4c7/

Lovely shot of Stana here, obviously enjoying herself on this latest project, I sense this is where she gets her creative fulfilment doing these summer projects but of course unfortunately they're not going to pay the bills (at least not yet).

It's nice to see Stana (hello there, ginormous sunglasses!) and Nathan (away from Luke's coats and driving a Tesla not a Buick, yay) looking a bit different to how they are on Castle and getting to play new characters.  I know I would be desperate to do so after 7 seasons of playing the same one 9 months in a year!