Type keyword(s) to search

Away from the 12th Precinct: The Cast in Other Roles

turnitwayup

Checked out the pilot of Ruben Santiago Hudson's new show Public Morals, a period cop drama starring Ed Burns.  Well made, but not really my kind of show.  RSH plays a captain-ish kind of character yet again.  A Lieutenant this time.  I think in the other series he was on between Castle and this show he also played a similar kind of cop character.  Is this his casting niche?  Good luck to him and PJJ.  A tad ironic if they continue to get cast in roles similar to theirs on Castle after they had to leave the show.

Someone tweeted Nathan the Drive gag reel.  That was a good show cancelled too soon.  A more original kind of premise.  Tim Minear makes good shows.  Nathan and Kristin Lehman had good chemistry there so it was cool to see them reunite on Castle and share actual scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70aPehyetDs&feature=youtu.be

I hope the Castle cast will be in serialised TV shows post Castle because I much prefer them to procedurals.

Checked out the pilot of Ruben Santiago Hudson's new show Public Morals, a period cop drama starring Ed Burns.  Well made, but not really my kind of show.  RSH plays a captain-ish kind of character yet again.  A Lieutenant this time.  I think in the other series he was on between Castle and this show he also played a similar kind of cop character.  Is this his casting niche?

Considering one of his first roles was as Captain Billy Cooper on the soap opera, Another World, in the '90s, I'm going to say yes.  :-)

• Love 1

I had no idea RSH came from soaps as well.  That makes quite a few of them in the cast.

On the one hand, I suppose it's a good thing that you're known enough to have a bit of a casting niche, but on the other, I think any actor's always going to be hoping for some kind of versatility, something different to their roles.

There's going to be a Dr. Horrible reunion panel at Paleyfest this year which is pretty cool.  That was a creative, fun piece of work that got the right balance between ham and cheese, and ahead of its time in content delivery.  Catchy songs, too.  

Probably everyone's seen it, but here's the link for those who haven't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of9kHpCv1ts

And bonus feature of Nathan singing the song 'Better Than Neil' (as in NPH) on the DVD commentary lol.  They really had a lot of fun with the commentary as a thank you to the fans.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hW8S7VqK4

I think I remember some of the Castle cast looking a bit shocked at "the hammer is my penis" line when a fan or Nathan said it at some panel because they probably didn't get the reference heh.

Paley Center ‏@paleycenter  
#DrHorrible Reunion 10/10 w/ @ActuallyNPH @NathanFillion @feliciaday #JossWhedon in person at #PaleyFest NY. Tix info http://paleyfest.org

Anyone watching Hand of God with Dana Delany & Ron Perlman etc.?  Watched the pilot and I thought it was strong.  Shows about religion aren't usually my thing but this looks like it's not really about that, or not just about that.  Really strong acting all around and good production values.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up with some awards.  Dana Delany is really good here.  Great to see her in an adult drama where she can really act, if you know what I mean.  And her character's what I would truly see as an adult badass as opposed to what we get on Castle.  Never watched Sons of Anarchy but I may have to check that out some time now.

I would love to see DD act with NF again and she did tweet that she would love to anytime.  Jordan Shaw would be cool, but honestly, the kind of material she'd get on Castle can't compare to what she'd get in these non network shows.  I hope the Castle cast land one of these truly adult shows in the future and not just another network procedural.

Seamus in particular deserves more than what he has been getting on Castle. He showed great range in The Wild Rover and again in the 'trapped in fire' story. (I'm no good with titles, sorry.)

I could also see him in a 'comic sidekick' role in a superhero movie though. Or a serious part of SHIELD.

{Wanders off to ImdB to see what else he's done that might be on Netflix.}

• Love 1

I agree about Seamus, I don't think much of Jon or Tamala's acting range TBH but Seamus is pretty consistent and I hope he finds something once Castle's finished that gives him a chance to do more than he's being asked to do right now which lets face it is not much. lol

'trapped in fire' story.

Under Fire. 

Edited by verdana

I vaguely recall that NF was in an ep of Drunk History. I've only recently hopped on that booze train of historical hysteria, and haven't seem him yet - anyone know which ep he was in, or if I was drunk when I thought I heard that? Thanks!

He was tapped to be in an episode of the season airing now, but they've aired three episodes and he wasn't in any of them. I don't know if they've released who is in which episode, though. I can't seem to find a list.

Slightly unfortunately, he's just one of a the actors, I'm pretty sure. I think it would be 1000% more amusing if he was the drunk narrator. :)

IMDB only lists the casts for the most recent episodes, and it looks like there are 10 more eps this season, so we've got a few more chances to see him lip syncing to drunk people, and, yes, seeing him drunk would be outstanding!

Has anyone else watched the first four episodes of Con Man? So funny! Nathan isn't in the first four much, but where he does come in, he's great. I already can't wait for next week's episodes release. 

• Love 1

Con Man release coincided with the 10th anniversary of Serenity. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/30/serenity-firefly-joss-whedon-10th-anniversary

It's too bad Serenity never got big box office despite solid reviews from critics.  Could have changed the whole trajectory of Nathan's career.  Maybe it would have done much better in this age of big marketing of movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, a similar type of movie.  And of course, Joss is huge now.

Con Man review

I knew Alan was a good actor but like that reviewer, I wasn't quite sure what to expect from his writing, especially being unfamiliar with the con world myself.  But it's a solid effort.  He wrote some funny stuff while still making you feel for the character's conflicted journey, and had some wry observations on an actor's life and on the relationship between the fan community and actors/shows.  Good performances all round which help deliver on the comedy.  I didn't laugh at everything but there were definitely some funny bits in there.

Nathan isn't in the first four much, but where he does come in, he's great.

He was deftly funny and had his usual likeable charm.  Slightly poking fun at big Hollywood stars.  He had great rapport with Alan's character right off the bat.  You immediately believe they are buddies despite their different career paths.  I do wonder about the friendships between actors who are doing better/worse in their careers and maybe Con Man will explore that a little.

Better wardrobe than on Castle in my opinion, thought that's not hard to achieve. ;)  He actually looks like a well to do guy here.  I think they must have recruited some good crew because everything looks well done here from the wardrobe to the camera work to the music to the lighting.

Nice article about Con Man with some BTS pics.

Interesting read, thanks.  I think they've been very smart and professional in how they've produced this whole project and it shows.  Each EP played their part.  Alan in charge of creating a good piece of work creatively, Nathan helping to reach out to supporters with his name, and PJ being on top of the marketing, crowdfunding and day to day production.

Looking forward to the next few episodes.

Alan Tudyk (L) and Nathan Fillion visit ‘Extra’ at Universal Studios Hollywood on October 2, 2015 in Universal City, California. (x)

Nathan Fillion visits ‘Extra’ at Universal Studios Hollywood on October 2, 2015 in Universal City, California. (x)

Anyone watched the next set of Con Man episodes?  I think I found these even funnier than the first set.  Very funny puns everywhere.  For any BSG fans here, Tricia Helfer shows up in a funny role.  She plays a crazy lady heh.  Never seen her do comedy before.  The actress playing Bobby and the actor playing the old perverted guy steal the show.  Nathan inhabits his character's role as a big time Hollywood star well.  Very funny scene with Summer and Joss Whedon in a cameo.   Sean Maher also shows up.  You really don't need to be into cons or understand them to enjoy the comedy.

For those asking about Nathan in Drunk History earlier, it looks like he will be in the season finale.

I confess I didn't see the dirtiness to the action figure at first!

I've never seen the actress playing Bobbie in anything before, but she definitely owns this character!  Nailed the cosplay too hehe.  The sexual shenanigans dialogue was hilarious.

Tricia should get the chance to do more comedy.  She's not bad at it.  More to offer than playing the stereotypical strong badass blonde.

I can imagine some big time and small time Hollywood stars doing what Nathan's character did.  Complete with cheesy pickup lines.  Joss is always great at deadpan delivery.  Of course someone on set would take bets about that kind of thing heh.  The fake snow was just a hilarious scene setting.  And it left me wanting to see Castle in snow gear and Caskett on their ski vacation.

The dolls on Castle were super creepy to me too.  In that episode and in Castle's loft.

Looking forward to Gina Torres and Michael Trucco.  

Tonight's Paley Fest for Dr. Horrible. Totally forgot about it until Whedonesque was tweeting about it. Aww Dana Delany pimped out Dr. Horrible to some financial guy and now I want her to work on a Joss project.

I would love to see Dana work with Joss too, as well as Nathan.  Didn't know they knew each other.  But whoa, I'm shocked and amazed that Dr. Horrible made more money for Joss than the first Avengers movie!  That's kind of mind boggling.  I don't think everyone even got paid much when they were doing Dr. Horrible pre release.  Did Marvel blow all their budget on the movie and have little left to pay Joss?  

Good panel.  Great camaraderie.  Too bad there's no news about a sequel yet.  Lol at the moderator introducing Nathan by saying he knows what he's talking about when he's talking about his hammer, and Felicia as the winner of best cosplay for Felicia heh.  There were some funny dirty jokes all around from some witty people.  Of all showrunners, Joss has an engaging style with the audience that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out, and that was a beautiful tribute to him at the end by that fan.  And if there's one thing you can count on, it's his low key wardrobe!

I wonder how the fan reaction from what they did to Penny in the third act compares to the reaction from the Castle fandom to the break up.  Social media was in its in infancy in those days but I'm sure the fans made themselves heard in the comment section heh.

Nathan photobombing Felicia Day at PaleyFest New York

Funny.  He's so good at this sort of thing, especially with people who are game for it.

Report on the panel from Deadline.

Figured the money quote so to speak would grab a headline or two.

Paley Center ‏@paleycenter  

.@feliciaday captured the spirit of #PaleyFest #DrHorrible Reunion in a #PaleySelfie: Hammer, Penny, DH forever!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRC0tGwW8AAByvG.jpg

Variety:The #Firefly cast wants to do another season.

Edited by madmaverick

I could be wrong, but with these new projects, and NF's old Firefly crew wanting a revival (not that it will happen necessarily, but Hollywood is remake crazy at the moment!), I'm beginning to think this is indeed the final season of Castle.

But if so, you'd think ABC would say so. Unless the network is waiting to see how the show does after the long hiatus to make the final decision one way or the other (and depending on if NF and/or SK want out or not!).

I doubt this "revival" is different from all the previous ones that is to say, it's all just a fan friendly noise. Everyone from Firefly is always asked about it and everyone says that they'd be more than willing to do more Firefly. But it's neither here nor there, just wishful thinking. They all obviously had a great time doing Firefly/Serenity and what else can they answer when faced with this question at a fan event? Only "yes". Doesn't mean there's anything concrete to it. They even state this themselves, frequently. Media outlets though always pick it up as something newsworthy, for clicks. Sometimes it's a smaller media fish, other times bigger. Anything to rile up the nerds and get traffic. Another case of "Help Nathan buy Firefly", a joke taken out of context which produced media frenzy and a world wide coverage.

• Love 2

Case in point:

Still, having a future for their characters in the comics feels "bittersweet" to Staite. "As much as it's nice to have things carry on that way, it's sort of like reading a script that you don't get to perform, do you know what I mean?" Staite explained. "It's a bit of a tease, for me. It makes me go, Awww, I want to say that." Torres' solution? "Read it out loud." Fillion then jumped at that idea and suggested they do exactly that. "Let's go to my place, dress up ... similarly ... and act out the comics!" (Can someone please make webisodes of that? Thank you.)

(Update: When Vulture talked to Fillion later that night at the Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog reunion at Paleyfest, he said not to get your hopes up to actually see these comics read-thrus, should they ever happen. "I was just joking around. If we're going to talk about the logistics of that, I would have to license that, because we don't own that property, and it's not really my call." Still, he likes the idea in theory, "because it would light the Internet on fire.")

Saw it on Whedonesque and had to laugh. If he had to clarify such an obvious joke to Vulture, no wonder hundreds of nerdy blogs run with the Firefly revival battle cry every chance they get LOL.

I could be wrong, but with these new projects, and NF's old Firefly crew wanting a revival (not that it will happen necessarily, but Hollywood is remake crazy at the moment!), I'm beginning to think this is indeed the final season of Castle.

But if so, you'd think ABC would say so. Unless the network is waiting to see how the show does after the long hiatus to make the final decision one way or the other (and depending on if NF and/or SK want out or not!).

Wendy,  The choice may not be the Show Runners or Cast, with the ratings, It would not surprise me to see another show in that time slot next season,  ABC Pres has said how much they love Castle, but still it is the orphan that go no attention or promotion, and even with that, still held a great market share.  This season has shown huge numbers leaving, even more so than the FBOFW fiasco, Ratings make kill the show before ABC does

The last 3 eps of Con Man were hilarious. I was dying at the mismatch of original footage, animation, dutch actors and commercials for the last spectrum ep. Henry Rollin's character was totally an ott Adam Baldwin parody. I did lol at Bruise Camp Bell. I so want to see a s2 of them trying to film the Spectrum movie.

She looks great there, and kudos to her for being so active and involved. She's wearing another blouse with a tie, and her hair looks like it has in the show. Maybe went over straight from the set? Or Luke dressed her for the event? Or she just likes that look. 

Nathan Fillion portraying a man in love...or why I'm ready to see our hero/actors move on to shows where they're happier:

Edited by TVWithPity

Two Guys and a Girl-- I remember tuning into that one for Traylor Howard but it was on when DD had her Brownies meetings, so only watched a few episodes of the first season before NF joined.

Recently bought the entire series on PAL DVD from Australia. Over $100 CDN and I can only play them on my computer. Fun show though.

• Love 1