Type keyword(s) to search

Away from the 12th Precinct: The Cast in Other Roles

turnitwayup

Michael Dorn's twitter handle @akaworf makes me laugh.

And the other Michael from Castle is in Con Man too, Michael Trucco, aka Demming.

Would be cool if Penny popped up since she was once on a sci fi show too and is now off Castle, but it's probably too late for that since the script was written way before.

Michael Trucco is certainly very pally with Nathan, he recommended him for the job on Castle if I'm not mistaken. 

Pity "worf" as so poorly used on his last outing on Castle but great to see him appearing on another Nathan project. 

Nathan and Michael Trucco are good friends, but I don't know if Nathan recommended him for the job.  I assumed they met on Castle, but possibly not.  They sure picked some good lookers as Beckett's boyfriends, but perhaps due to a mix of the writing and the acting, they both felt rather wooden to me.

Nathan is voicing Halo 5. http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/09/halo-5-guardians-new-spartans-nathan-fillion?hootPostID=68d3e74e9764b4a73fe36561cc868583

So I'm watching S1 DVDs of The Closer and, lo and behold, who should pop up as a Russian friend of the murder victim in the episode "The Big Picture" (S1, E3 from 2005) but Stana Katic. Her character's name was Nadia and she sports some heavy bangs and long hair in it. If you want to see a clip of it? Here:

Sarah Thomas ‏@SarahThomas1999  23h23 hours ago

Good news show this morning

@NathanFillion @JefeMuchoGrande

https://twitter.com/SarahThomas1999/status/610579846691954690

Sarah Thomas ‏@SarahThomas1999  18 hrs18 hours ago

Best producer on my right  , and best actor on my left @NathanFillion @JefeMuchoGrande

https://twitter.com/SarahThomas1999/status/610655075342483457

Aaaah and the facial hair has returned.

Jon and Seamus' short, Sequestered, is up on funny or die.  http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/9217cdf73e/sequestered

I love political satire, but can't say I found this terribly funny or interesting.  I suppose the end credits song was a plug for Jon's music, but what an odd choice.

Finished watching Season 1 of Bosch from Amazon, with Annie Wersching playing a cop.  She looked quite different in this gritty, noir kind of cop show with little makeup compared to how she looked as Nieman on Castle.  The murder mystery dragged a bit by the end, but the show was still a good watch because of the characters and the acting, and I'll probably check out Season 2.  The music and cinematography on the show were outstanding and really gave the show a lot of character, and Bosch's apartment rivals Castle's loft for sure.  It's a different creature from Castle altogether even if both revolve around cops and murder mysteries; interesting to imagine for a moment Castle actors in this kind of slower paced, more real, character driven detective show.  I don't know what the budget is for an episode of an Amazon show like this, but the production values are better than on Castle.  Might check out Michael Connelly's books now.  

Also checked out Proof starring Jennifer Beals.  She was perfectly fine in it, but the theme (exploration of life after death) didn't interest me enough, and not enough for me to stick with a procedural.

Doing some binge-watching this Summer and have been checking out an old Starz comedy called Party Down, when lo and behold Tamala/Lanie shows up in an ep. (season 2 ep 4 "James Ellison Funeral" to be exact). 

Jesus what a difference a decent nose job makes. 

A phenomenally good nose job.  They didn't make it small and bony like they do on most Hollywood figures.

drstanakaticFBF: A selfie after a particularly exhausting yet rewarding day shooting The Rendezvous. A majority of filming was done in the Middle East. I got to meet & work with wonderful talents from around the globe these past few months. #Unforgettable

Rehearsals for the next film begin Monday.

https://instagram.com/p/4aUhAkR4Xg/?taken-by=drstanakatic

Nice shot there, wow she's busy, on to filming another movie but I presume it's a small role nothing major. 

(edited)
Nice shot there, wow she's busy, on to filming another movie but I presume it's a small role nothing major.

It's good that they can recharge their creative batteries doing other projects over hiatus otherwise I imagine it'd be even harder to stay motivated and interested going into year 8 of playing the same character on a crime procedural.  It'd be like dragging kids back for another year of school after a summer holiday, except it's the same syllabus every year instead of learning new things. ;)

I'll be interested to see Stana in The Rendezvous because it could possibly have a more interesting story than her previous indies and it looks like she may have more of a lead role.  But I find it a bit strange that the details about that film and whatever Stana's next film project is are still shrouded in mystery at this point; not even a casting notice, or a one line description of what the movies are about.  Stana's a mysterious one heh.  Maybe the other film she's still to do has some schedule clashes with Castle filming as it begins, and that could explain TV Line's spoiler news.

Doing some binge-watching this Summer and have been checking out an old Starz comedy called Party Down, when lo and behold Tamala/Lanie shows up in an ep.

Does she get more to do than 'lividity'?  I like Rob Thomas' work and Party Down is one of those series I keep meaning to watch but have yet to get around to doing it.

Edited by madmaverick
Does she get more to do than 'lividity'?

She plays the daughter who is putting on the reception for her father's funeral, and at one point tells one of the obnoxious caterers something like, "shut it, white boy." Sassy and to the point, just like Lanie. 

I like Rob Thomas' work and Party Down is one of those series I keep meaning to watch but have yet to get around to doing it.

I started watching because Adam Scott is such a cutie pie. It's a quirky little show, not huge laughs but oddball characters that are fun to watch, and delightfully awkward situations that are fun to cringe through.  There are only 20 1/2 hour eps, so it's a good little Summer binge. 

But I find it a bit strange that the details about that film and whatever Stana's next film project is are still shrouded in mystery at this point; not even a casting notice, or a one line description of what the movies are about.  Stana's a mysterious one heh.  Maybe the other film she's still to do has some schedule clashes with Castle filming as it begins, and that could explain TV Line's spoiler news.

It makes me wonder just how small the project is.  You'd think if anyone major was involved it would have gotten some more attention.  I know it is independent, but plenty of independent films get more press.

(edited)

Maybe the other film she's still to do has some schedule clashes with Castle filming as it begins, and that could explain TV Line's spoiler news.

Yeah I did wonder the exact same thing when I saw she was off on another shoot and they start back in a just a few weeks, then again we don't know how big this part is but I'm certainly interested in finding out about this second project she has on the go. 

Thanks for the article femmefan1946.

Edited by verdana
Maybe the other film she's still to do has some schedule clashes with Castle filming as it begins, and that could explain TV Line's spoiler news.

Castle goes back in 2 and half weeks but surely her contract for Castle would take precedence over any other roles she takes? Maybe the producers have given her the go ahead to do the film even with clashing schedules.

Castle goes back in 2 and half weeks but surely her contract for Castle would take precedence over any other roles she takes? Maybe the producers have given her the go ahead to do the film even with clashing schedules.

Or she is doing both. Michael J. Fox filmed Back To The Future while also shooting Family Ties. From what I read, he barely slept, but he did both.

I also heard somewhere that her next project was based on a play. I feel like she tweeted once that he production company had optioned a play, but I went all the way back to last April and I couldn't find the tweet, so maybe I made that up.

Hey, mad maverick - while you're watching Party Down keep an eye out during the episode "Not on Your Wife Opening Night" for the mousy theater secretary, who is played by the actress who also played the mousy burned woman who helped bomb the boat and then went into hiding in Castle's season 1 "Ghosts."

When I see Nathan looking like this, I can't help but ask (again!) why the frak doesn't he look like this on Castle?!  He almost looks like S1 Castle here.  In a room with regular lighting with a cell phone camera.  Aren't actors supposed to look better when lighting can be adjusted, when wearing makeup, and film cameras should be able capture images better than a cell phone camera, right?  We will see whether he looks better in Con Man than he does on Castle when it comes out, but I am already liking his wardrobe here. ;)

Well there is a white suit and panama hat in the party scene that were posted online. He looked like Sydney Greenstreet.

Not good.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/328410997804490466/

On the other hand the Spectrum cast photo sizzles.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/328410997804490466/

Gosh, I'm over 850 pins on those Boards. This is getting embarrassing.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/328410997803174357/

Sorry, this is the Spectrum poster.

Stana Katic & Raza Jaffrey To Star In Amin Matalqa’s ‘The Rendezvous’ at deadline (excerpt below)

EXCLUSIVE: Stana Katic (Castle) and Raza Jaffrey (Homeland) will star in Sundance award-winning director Amin Matalqa’s action adventure The Rendezvous. Inspired by classic romantic capers as North By Northwest and Romancing The Stone, the film is an adaptation of Sarah Isaias’ book A New Song. Set in Jordan, the film recently wrapped principal photography on location there. Terrel Seltzer (One Fine Day) has written the script, which follows an unlikely pair who find themselves swept up in a deadly race to find a sacred Dead Sea Scroll hidden in the ancient city of Petra. The film is produced by Dan Halsted (Garden State) and Tricia Gibbs. Amanda Rohlke is exec producing. Alfonso Bassave, Ron Guttman, Glenn Fleshler, Darby Stanchfield, and Nadim Sawalha round out the cast. Stana Katic and Raza Jaffrey are repped by Gersh/ Principal Entertainment LA.

I saw those tweeted pics madmaverick and sighed, he looks good there but then he's not on Castle and it's incredibly rare to have an episode where I think he looks really good. 

femmefan1946.Yeah not so keen on the Sydney Greenstreet look but wow all those photos! Thanks for sharing. 

Alfonso Bassave, Ron Guttman, Glenn Fleshler, Darby Stanchfield, and Nadim Sawalha round out the cast.

Uh oh, the current wife and the ex!?!  Hope there wasn't any hair-pulling on set ;)

• Love 2

The plot of The Rendezvous is quite different to what I imagined.  Sounds like an Indiana Jones kind of movie than something more serious, which could be a good or bad thing depending on the script and execution.  But North by Northwest is one of my favourite movies and I like the other films mentioned in the blurb, so that's good.  I wonder if there's some kind of Disney/ABC connection as some of the other actors and the director are all connected to the studio.  Don't know if Stana gets a first look at scripts coming through the studio because of her Castle connection.

The other indie Stana is set to begin filming, Sister Cities, may be even more promising.  A female centric story of sisters getting together for a family gathering and drama ensues, and ALS is part of the story.  As the first feature to be directed by Alfred Molina, it should be getting some press.

(edited)

Looking forward to The Rendezvous. Been a huge fan of Amin's since Captain Abu Raed.

The other indie Stana is set to begin filming, Sister Cities, may be even more promising. A female centric story of sisters getting together for a family gathering and drama ensues, and ALS is part of the story. As the first feature to be directed by Alfred Molina, it should be getting some press.

Alfred is not directing it Sean Hanish is. Alfred is the EP and co-starring in the film though. His wife was in the original stage production. Edited by Nadine

Looking forward to The Rendezvous. Been a huge fan of Amin's since Captain Abu Raed.

Alfred is not directing it Sean Hanish is. Alfred is the EP and co-starring in the film though. His wife was in the original stage production.

I googled the name of the movie and came across this site with that info.  Assumed it was an official site of sorts, but maybe it's a fan site?  I see that the info conflicts with imdb.

http://sistercitiesthemovie.com/director/

(edited)

I googled the name of the movie and came across this site with that info. Assumed it was an official site of sorts, but maybe it's a fan site? I see that the info conflicts with imdb.

http://sistercitiesthemovie.com/director/

That's the official site. Sean took over as director a few months ago.

And even though I saw mentioned on Twitter (before I did my exile from social media for a month) that the film is in production (unless they moved the start date, which could have happened) that is incorrect.

Edited by Nadine

The book that The Rendezvous is based on does not sound like Indiana Jones at all. It sounds more "cerebral" which may not be a good sign for the widespread success of the movie. As long as it's better than CBGB, it may be watchable.

(edited)

I was expecting something more cerebral and contemplative too, but they seem to be going in a more commercial direction.  Which could make it accessible to a wider audience, but could also end up less interesting.  But oh yeah, please let it be more watchable than FLO and CBGB.

This is how the director describes it:

Renee ‏@slprenee  Jul 2

@AminMatalqa Will the film have a lot of the same elements of Judaism & the Muslim religion as in the novel?

Amin Matalqa ‏@AminMatalqa  Jul 2
@slprenee Not so much. It's more of an adventure. Loose adaptation. Hitchcock meets lethal weapon, and a little bit of Indiana jones.

Edited by madmaverick

Nerd HQ schedule

Where is it:? The New Children’s Museum in downtown San Diego. How much are tickets? $22 each. How many seats? 200 seats. How many tickets can I buy? You can buy up to two tickets per panel per order. You can order multiple panels at once (though if you really want a panel, buy that one first). Multiple orders are allowed. You do not have to buy tickets through the Nerd HQ App. Anyone can buy tickets through the site. All proceeds go to @operationsmile 

(edited)

Enjoyed the trailer too.  Look forward to some laughs.  Joss Whedon's cameo made me laugh already.  Production values look good, but then again they were well funded and had an experienced crew.  And Nathan's wardrobe doesn't look too shabby. 

I have to say, it's quite cool seeing Nathan and Alan in a spaceship again.  They look so deadly serious heh.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/09/comic-con-2015-firefly-stars-nathan-fillion-and-alan-tudyk-spoof-themselves-con

I liked this portrait of them. https://twitter.com/kentnish/status/619226512630370304

Casper seriously looks good in every pic.

That guy's jawline looks like it could cut ice heh.  And Michael Trucco looks pretty much as he did when he was Demming.  I want his anti ageing secret.

Edited by madmaverick
(edited)

The con man nerd hq just finished and Michael Trucco mentioned how much he wanted to work with Nathan again after being on Castle so he was one of the early on board. I don't know where these full panels are gonna be uploaded on cause the nerd machine doesn't have them on their channel but ign has been doing a day recap on their channel while live streaming all of the panels too. So it looks like all the panels aren't gonna be separated into it's own vid so you have to scrub thru the day long vids. Con Man panel at SDCC but that vid is basically everyone telling their story how they got involve with the project. Missing the Q&A from the audience and Barry's proposal to Billy at the end. So it looks like Nathan wore turquoise jeans today, but his outfits so far has been an improvement over the plaid and khaki pants he usually wears. This pic from Chris would've been more entertaining if it was an instavid.

Edited by turnitwayup

I just watched the Con Man trailer and was very pleasantly surprised. Have to admit, I expected it to be mildly enjoyable but mostly because of all the cameos and meta play. Now though I think it can be a real winner. Sure there's no judging by a trailer, it could turn out either way, but what I saw somehow really impressed and made me want to watch it. Production, script and general atmosphere look very attractive (to me) for this kind of venture.

Stana's two current projects also sound much more promising (to my taste) than her earlier ones. Sounds like it could be more "flesh and blood" and less pretentious pseudo arthouse, pardon my French ;). Especially Sister Cities.

So Castle leads seem to have used their hiatus well, so far. Finally have time to dig into the Comicon stuff tonight, so may watch Nathan's Nerd HQ panel live. Have to catch up later on the previous ones.