Type keyword(s) to search

Away from the 12th Precinct: The Cast in Other Roles

turnitwayup

59 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

That looks like it could be fun. Do you need a smartphone to play it?

I've actually organized a con in real life-- and persuading the hotel to keep the washrooms clean is a major task. We got an Aurora nomination for that. The committee. For the Con. Not the washrooms.

I think you can download it with any device like a smartphone or a tablet that allows you to download apps from iOS/Google Play.  It's better playing on a tablet imo.  You can always ask them if they plan to release a PC version in the future.

I have a desktop iMac. I bought a  Mac laptop when we moved West, but DH seems to have taken it over.

I have a Blackberry but it is no longer connected to the internet, since I can't see any reason to make or receive phone calls when I am out and about. It makes a pretty good watch.

Jon Huertas is working

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/get-ready-to-fall-in-crazy-stupid-love-this-fall-with-nbcs-this-is-us_us_57d4460de4b03d2d459abfa8

but he's not in the trailer than I noticed.

And Nathan is doing the ComicCon circuit. This time in Russia. http://www.comicconrussia.ru/lastYear

Neither Stana Katic ( who is visiting Turkey apparently) nor Seamus Dever seems to have anything new booked.

Did anyone else watch Sister Cities (Stana's movie)? It was decent, and definitely better than the average Lifetime movie. But it also wasn't as good as it seemed to think it was. And it was rather predictable, even if Lifetime hadn't spoiled stuff in the promo. The whole cast did a good job with it though, they had good sister-chemistry.

Stana was good, but it's not like the character was that different than Beckett, especially since the plot centered on a dead mother.

Edited by KaveDweller
41 minutes ago, FlickerToAFlame said:

Yeah, I thought it was entertaining, but the fans non-stop tweeting that everyone deserves an Emmy for it (especially Stana) should get their expectations in check, IMO. 

Jacki Weaver (who was in this movie) was nominated for the far-superior (IMO!) Silver Linings Playbook a few years back for an Oscar (along with the rest of the cast) and lost out there. I don't see any awards to be won here. I mean, was it better than a typical Lifetime flick? Sure, but that isn't hard to achieve!

The dead mother deal did give it a sort of deja vu, though.

10 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I mean, was it better than a typical Lifetime flick? Sure, but that isn't hard to achieve!

The plot of most Lifetime movies is dependent on one character being insane and causing trouble. So, yeah, not hard to achieve. 

So this was better and didn't really seem to fit with what you usually see on that channel. I'm actually surprised Lifetime wanted it, maybe they are trying to up their standards. There is so much good TV out there that doesn't get nominated though, just being a better than the average movie isn't enough. But there are people that thought Stana deserved an Emmy for Castle, which was obviously never going to happen. Maybe they don't watch anything else? Kind of sad for them if that's true.

Edited by KaveDweller
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

Jacki Weaver (who was in this movie) was nominated for the far-superior (IMO!) Silver Linings Playbook a few years back for an Oscar (along with the rest of the cast) and lost out there. I don't see any awards to be won here. I mean, was it better than a typical Lifetime flick? Sure, but that isn't hard to achieve!

.....As did the snarky scenes where Carolina talked to the cop. She was playing Beckett in those scenes.

6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did anyone else watch Sister Cities (Stana's movie)? It was decent, and definitely better than the average Lifetime movie. But it also wasn't as good as it seemed to think it was.

I rarely watch Lifetime movies but Sister Cities gave me the feeling of being one, if people know what I mean.  The sisters' entrances at the start of the movie, the music, the dead mother with the disease.  More than the plot, it was the vibe from the way the film was executed.  What I mean is that it came across much more like a TV movie than an indie I'd watch in a cinema.  There wasn't that level of sophistication and depth either in execution or the script, which, I don't know, never felt like it dug deep into the issues or relationships.  I found it to be very average overall.  

The actors were all OK, but there weren't any award winning performances.  Stana was OK, but I did see some shades of Beckett in her acting.  I also thought she was better playing the more free spirited version of her character than the harsh, uptight one early one.  And I may be biased, but she was not convincing to me as a lawyer.  Or in the drinking scenes.   The actress who played Austin was probably the standout, but she also had more to do.  I liked Jess Weixler on The Good Wife and thought she was good here as well, so it'll be interesting to see what else she does.

I'd thought this movie might have been the more promising of Stana's projects when it was first announced, especially compared to her past indies, but it never quite lived up to expectations.  Will see how her next indie is like, but otherwise, I think she might find higher quality projects on TV.  

Colette Freedman ‏@ColetteFreedman  18h18 hours ago

Thank god Castle fired Stana Katic, because her Lifetime movie put the show to shame http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1128368/sorry-beckett-fans-but-sister-cities-was-way-better-than-castle … via @sheknows

Apparently the writer of Sister Cities tweeted this, which really made me laugh for various reasons.  Mostly because she really seems to think her little Lifetime movie was better than it was.  Is she high from the fangirls tweeting her how her movie and Stana are going to win all the Emmys?  Castle was never going to win any awards (but it was very good at being what it was at its peak), but it's a bit much for her to crap on it when her movie isn't anything to write home about either.  Not very classy.  Not to mention unwise to crap on a show whose fans probably made up a lot of your audience, and whose creatives you never know if you're going to want to work with in future.  The link was such obvious clickbait, I really don't understand how anyone who wants to be taken seriously gives it the time of day.  Clueless much?

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I did want to roll my eyes when Stana's character was mentioned as being on track to being the youngest judge or whatever.

Dr Motorcycle Boy looking 10 years older in a blink it and you'll miss it shot as Carolina's husband was also like a weird bit of alt Castle universe.

The small town police chief was even named Brady again, but this guy was more annoying to me as the comic relief or whatever he was.

There's really no comparison between Sister Cities and something like Silver Linings Playbook.  That's the kind of movie I was hoping for, but nope, not even close.

5 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

There is so much good TV out there that doesn't get nominated though, just being a better than the average movie isn't enough. But there are people that thought Stana deserved an Emmy for Castle, which was obviously never going to happen. Maybe they don't watch anything else? Kind of sad for them if that's true.

Exactly.  I've got to wonder about where the fans who clamour for awards to be given to Stana and the film are coming from, other than the obvious fangirl place.  Anyone who's sampled TV beyond network TV would have known Castle was never going to get nominated for any awards, and anyone who's seen good indie films would know that Sister Cities would never win any critics awards either.  I don't think Emmys always recognise all the talent, but even a cursory look at the list of nominees for this year shows the depth of talent there currently is on TV.  There's a lot of high quality stuff out there that we barely get enough time to watch!  I'd feel a bit embarrassed, to be honest, if I were the writer and director of Sister Cities and asking fans to retweet for awards or to write glowing reviews. 

Edited by madmaverick

I'm curious, what's a Mystery Woman episode?  Sounds very mysterious, heh.  Are there also  Mystery Man episodes?  I'm going to guess that Seamus has the same baby face there.  

Read a funny piece reviewing some new ABC procedurals.  It was funny to me because the critic basically said Conviction and Notorious, one of which has replaced Castle's timeslot, I forget which, were basically the same show, i.e. Scandal lite.  Another 'badass' woman kicking ass, WT/WT tension with male character etc. Yawn. I will be curious to check out ABC's new shows to see how they compare to Castle.

I rarely watch Lifetime movies but Sister Cities gave me the feeling of being one, if people know what I mean.  The sisters' entrances at the start of the movie, the music, the dead mother with the disease.  More than the plot, it was the vibe from the way the film was executed.  What I mean is that it came across much more like a TV movie than an indie I'd watch in a cinema.  There wasn't that level of sophistication and depth either in execution or the script, which, I don't know, never felt like it dug deep into the issues or relationships.  I found it to be very average overall.  

I agree about it seeming like a TV movie, but I do watch a lot of Lifetime and those are only entertaining in a so bad it's good way. I'm totally serious that the plots are dependent on a character being crazy. Some actual plots:  a middle age doctor falls in love with his teenage patient and starts stalking her, a woman quits her job so her boss sets out to ruin her life, teenage boy impregnates two girls at once and one of them tries to kill the other. Sister Cities is Shakespeare compared to that. But still not award caliber. 

14 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Dr Motorcycle Boy looking 10 years older in a blink it and you'll miss it shot as Carolina's husband was also like a weird bit of alt Castle universe.

I didn't recognize that was him, that's kind of amusing. I actually couldn't tell if Carolina was still supposed to be married, or if she was divorced. Seems kind of weird that a husband wouldn't accompany his wife to her moms funeral. And they showed her drinking alone at the beginning. They really could have fleshed out all the back stories more.

55 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I agree about it seeming like a TV movie, but I do watch a lot of Lifetime and those are only entertaining in a so bad it's good way. I'm totally serious that the plots are dependent on a character being crazy. Some actual plots:  a middle age doctor falls in love with his teenage patient and starts stalking her, a woman quits her job so her boss sets out to ruin her life, teenage boy impregnates two girls at once and one of them tries to kill the other. Sister Cities is Shakespeare compared to that. But still not award caliber. 

Those plots sound even more soapy than I'd imagined, heh.  I thought Lifetime liked to do movies based on real life stories?  That, and sappy Nicholas Sparks type movies.  Have you watched Unreal?  I checked out the pilot after seeing it get some rave reviews from critics and awards attention.  It was very much not my idea of a TV show on Lifetime.  Dark and edgy.  I'm not into reality TV though so I'm not sure a show that satirizes that would interest me over a season.

55 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't recognize that was him, that's kind of amusing. I actually couldn't tell if Carolina was still supposed to be married, or if she was divorced. Seems kind of weird that a husband wouldn't accompany his wife to her moms funeral. And they showed her drinking alone at the beginning. They really could have fleshed out all the back stories more.

I think the only reason the sisters had partners was because Austin had one, and her relationship was the only one which got the least bit attention.  But they might as well not have existed.  Stana's blouse with that massive ugly bow in that scene almost distracted me from seeing Victor Webster heh.  

Jon's new show seems to be getting universally good reviews so I will check that out. 

28 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Those plots sound even more soapy than I'd imagined, heh.  I thought Lifetime liked to do movies based on real life stories?  That, and sappy Nicholas Sparks type movies.  Have you watched Unreal?  I checked out the pilot after seeing it get some rave reviews from critics and awards attention.  It was very much not my idea of a TV show on Lifetime.  Dark and edgy.  I'm not into reality TV though so I'm not sure a show that satirizes that would interest me over a season.

I think the only reason the sisters had partners was because Austin had one, and her relationship was the only one which got the least bit attention.  But they might as well not have existed.  Stana's blouse with that massive ugly bow in that scene almost distracted me from seeing Victor Webster heh.  

Jon's new show seems to be getting universally good reviews so I will check that out. 

Well Lifetime also did a movie based on a true story about a girl who got kidnapped, made into a sex slave, and forced to live in a box under his bed for seven years.  But that's not real life for most people (I think). I actually like Unreal, but the second season was not as good as the first.

I was planning on watching This Is Us before Jon was cast, so I'm looking forward to it. I am curious about the character because I always think of Jon as being similar to Esposito, just based on interviews. It sounds like a different character here.

16 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I blinked and missed it. Oops.

All things considered, Sister Cities was a bit too melodramatic for me (I mean, come on, a terminally ill, former wild, but heart of gold mom convinces a daughter to help assist her suicide and stage an impromptu sister reeunion?), but I liked it enough. I thought the cast meshed well, but outside of Stana and Michelle Trachtenberg (from her Nickelodeon days) I didn't know much of them. That said, I couldn't quite separate Stana as Carolina from Stana as Beckett and honestly, it mostly made me miss Castle. 

And what kind of name is Baltimore? Of all the city names they could have chosen ... Baltimore? I'll accept Carolina, and even Dallas and Austin (though kind of odd for girls, I think), but Baltimore? Charlotte, Madison, Aspen, Savannah ... I digress.

I did kind of dig the darker hair for Stana, though. 

Edited by McManda
29 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Well Lifetime also did a movie based on a true story about a girl who got kidnapped, made into a sex slave, and forced to live in a box under his bed for seven years.  But that's not real life for most people (I think). I actually like Unreal, but the second season was not as good as the first.

Sadly, there have been quite a few cases of these sorts of awful child kidnappings and imprisonments in various parts of the world.  

I actually would love to see Stana play a character from a show like Unreal, where most people did not seem very likable, to test her versatility as an actress. I think it'd be more interesting than seeing her play another almost perfect doctor/lawyer/cop kind of character.

I was planning on watching This Is Us before Jon was cast, so I'm looking forward to it. I am curious about the character because I always think of Jon as being similar to Esposito, just based on interviews. It sounds like a different character here.

I don't know much about the character he's playing except I think he's the best friend of one of the main characters.  Let's hope he gets more to do than Tamala did! ;)  I'd be interested to see him play something different to a military/police kind of character.

13 minutes ago, McManda said:

(I mean, come on, a terminally ill, former wild, but heart of gold mom convinces a daughter to help assist her suicide and stage an impromptu sister reeunion?)

Between yours and Kave's one line summary of Lifetime movie plots, I think the blurbs for their shows could make for entertaining reading. :P

I did kind of dig the darker hair, though. 

But not the bangs!  What was up with that?  Way too melodramatic for my taste to have her bangs covering her eyes, with the dark hair, and the drink in her hand, and then the hood.  And I still think she looks better with less make up onscreen.

Edited by madmaverick
14 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

I don't know much about the character he's playing except I think he's the best friend of one of the main characters.  Let's hope he gets more to do than Tamala did! ;)  I'd be interested to see him play something different to a military/police kind of character.

Just don't expect him in the pilot! I read where he said Mike (his character) shows up in episode 2. Sort of ironically, he will also be in episode 2 of S5 of Elementary in a guest role. (He will recur on This Is Us.)

27 minutes ago, McManda said:

And what kind of name is Baltimore? Of all the city names they could have chosen ... Baltimore? I'll accept Carolina, and even Dallas and Austin (though kind of odd for girls, I think), but Baltimore? Charlotte, Madison, Aspen, Savannah ... I digress.

They didn't say this in the movie, but I read some summary that said the mother named all her daughters with the same of the city they were conceived in. Which is a pretty terrible thing to do to your kids. But Carolina isn't a city, it's a state. Is that bothering anyone else?

I liked Stana's hair darker too, but I always have. I wish she'd kept it that dark for Castle.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

But not the bangs!  What was up with that?  Way too melodramatic for my taste to have her bangs covering her eyes, with the dark hair, and the drink in her hand, and then the hood.  And I still think she looks better with less make up onscreen.

Yeah, the bangs. :/ But I've always preferred Stana with darker hair. I mean, the lighter, highlighted version was fine, but rather generic. I thought the darker hair suited her better in general. I'm eh on the makeup, mostly because I tend to favor eye makeup over any other kind (highlighting? contouring? eye makeup is just easier!)

They didn't say this in the movie, but I read some summary that said the mother named all her daughters with the same of the city they were conceived in. Which is a pretty terrible thing to do to your kids.

I guess they're lucky that they got relatively normal-ish names? I mean, outside of Baltimore. They could have gotten suck with Fayetteville, or Cincinnati, or Yonkers, or something. But yeah, I know people name their kids after places. And really, if it's not already a name (Charlotte, Madison, etc) ... I think you're just inviting people to think you've named your kids after wherever they were conceived. Not really something I would want to pin on my kids with interesting names like Baltimore, really. 

But Carolina isn't a city, it's a state. Is that bothering anyone else?

That was before it became a theme. Or because she was conceived in Clyde, or something. But really it was probably so they could have her argue that she went by "Carol" as a way to disassociate herself with her mom and her place-names. I can see how growing up with a relatively vacant mom that has four kids in four different places with four different men would mess with your childhood.

Edited by McManda
45 minutes ago, McManda said:

I guess they're lucky that they got relatively normal-ish names? I mean, outside of Baltimore. They could have gotten suck with Fayetteville, or Cincinnati, or Yonkers, or something. But yeah, I know people name their kids after places. And really, if it's not already a name (Charlotte, Madison, etc) ... I think you're just inviting people to think you've named your kids after wherever they were conceived. Not really something I would want to pin on my kids with interesting names like Baltimore, really. 

Yeah, I know someone who named their daughter York. Which I guess would be an okay name for a boy, but seems pretty terrible for a girl. I don't know why they felt a connection to New York though....I thought it would be rude to ask.

There actually are lots of city names that work as names, but I wonder if that's because the cities were actually named after people.

I found Sister Cities enjoyable enough but not to my taste. I agree with those upthread that it wasn't that much better than a typical tv movie. I wouldn't have seen it had it not been readily available on my tv. I wouldn't have sought it out in the theater and I'm glad not to have spent 15 bucks for the privilege. Nothing wrong with it per se, but certainly not worthy of award campaigns. 

I think that with the right role and some luck, SK (or NF or some of the other cast) could win an Emmy or other awards. I just don't think Sister Cities is going to garner awards or nominations for anyone involved. If it did happen I think it would be the mom or daughter who assisted the suicide. 

The Emmy talk regarding SK and Sister Cities got me thinking about the occasional Emmy talk that would crop up about Castle and its leads. I think there were strong and well acted moments over the seasons, but I don't think Emmys were ever in the offing for NF or SK while on Castle. I too think most of that Emmy talk was likely fangirl/boy related excitement. 

I glanced over the Emmy winners from last night and Castle doesn't seem to be the type of show the Emmys recognize often, with either nominations or wins. The idea that Castle (or its cast) would haven been nominated alongside Game of Thrones, Orphan Black and the Americans is a bit much. I looked around on Wikipedia and procedurals don't appear to have had a strong track record for tons of nominations or wins at the Emmys or other mainstream awards for years. 

Castle, Bones and their ilk seem to get a handful of Emmy nominations, typically in the more technical categories and often earlier in their runs. The rest of their awards wins and nominations appear to be for PCAs and other lesser known/regarded awards. 

Somewhat related note, I grew up watching the last few years of Murder, She Wrote with my grandmother. Castle has always reminded of some of the lighter crime shows from the 80s and 90s. I checked Angela Lansbury's Emmy record (thank you, Internet!) for Murder, She Wrote and while she received many nominations, she never won an Emmy. She did win multiple golden globes for best actress in a drama (which seems hilarious considering the light tone of the show and the dramas that get nominated these days). Obviously I am not an expert nor is this a complete look at the awards angle but I'm guessing there may be something that keeps lighter dramas/procedurals from winning the major awards. It's actually funny I got interested in this today because I don't generally care much about awards or if the shows and movies I like win. 

The tv environment has changed so much in recent years. Cable combined with streaming has opened up so many different avenues for all kinds of storytelling. Makes it hard for standard network offerings to compete. 

3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

That whole look for her character didn't scream potential youngest judge ever or whatever the distinction was. I would have bought artist or musician before lawyer and potential judge. 

I assume that hair color and bangs are the reason SK appeared to be wearing a wig early in S8. Having bangs in my eyes like that would drive me nuts! I like SK with the darker hair too. Isn't that color closer to the color early series Beckett had?

Edited by GoGiants

GoGiants, did you catch Angela Lansbury singing on stage for the 25th anniversary of Beauty and the Beast just recently?  At 90!  Good for her. And I think she's planning to be on Broadway next year.  I hope actors like Susan Sullivan will keep on working too even if not week in week out.

The tv environment has changed so much in recent years. Cable combined with streaming has opened up so many different avenues for all kinds of storytelling. Makes it hard for standard network offerings to compete. 

Very true.  I think I read something like the networks just got 4 Emmys or 4 nominations between them... 

Then again, I watched the pilot of the new show, This is Us, that Jon will be recurring in, and I thought it was a good piece of entertainment and a more unusual show in the land of network procedurals and cookie cutter shows.  He's landed on a quality show, good for him.  People who liked Parenthood should like it.  A family drama/dramedy with potential.  But these days you get very high quality family drama/dramedies on cable too, ones which may feel even more raw and real.

Oh, and Gerald McRaney was in the pilot (Jon will only be appearing from the second ep onwards), and he was great!  Way better role than Locksat. ;)  I really wish Castle had focused more on simple, intimate, human and emotional scenes in later seasons rather than the procedural, conspiracy and melodrama.  When I think back on the series, it's those intimate moments that hit on some truths and genuine emotions, be they with Caskett or Castle/Alexis/Martha, that I find some of the most satisfying,

This isn't exactly another role, but Nathan appears as himself alongside many others in Joss Whedon's PSA urging people to vote (for not Trump).  Normally, I'd say that celebrities don't influence things like this one way or another even though of course they are free to voice their views like any other, but hey, since one of the candidates has basically succeeded by turning his whole campaign into a reality TV show, who knows, maybe people will pay attention to a bunch of celebrities. ;)  Heck, I was inundated with push notifications by just about any news outlet about Brangelina's divorce, and yet there are never notifications when children get bombed in Aleppo. ;)  To American posters here, I implore you to think soberly about this election and cast your vote for the best qualified person.   How is this even close?  Sigh.  These aren't normal times and this hasn't been a normal election.  For anyone seeking sanity as well as clarity (regardless of your politics), do, do watch Full Frontal by Sam B.  Brilliant stuff.

• Love 1

Let me preface this as not meaning to target anyone individually. But I'm stepping in now due to PTV rules, such as they are.

Please do not discuss politics here. I understand the hows and whys, what with the circus the whole process has become, but with so many opposing viewpoints, things can and do tend to disintegrate rapidly when politics enters the mix.

I understand it was mentioned because of Fillion, but in the future, please just state he is involved with something and link if you wish to so it can be discussed on the board of origin. Beyond that, PTV no likey political chats.

Thanks and continue!

33 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Noted.  Sorry, Wendy.  Do you know if there's any place at PTV to discuss election coverage, or at least the TV debates?  

As a rule, PTV is no politics at all. The only minor exceptions - and it is hair splitting - are forums a la CNN/MSNBC, but those forums (which I also mod, call me a masochist)  must have that talk within the framework of what airs on its programming, not general talk.

Otherwise, no. Political talk goes off board.

GoGiants, did you catch Angela Lansbury singing on stage for the 25th anniversary of Beauty and the Beast just recently?  At 90!  Good for her. And I think she's planning to be on Broadway next year.  I hope actors like Susan Sullivan will keep on working too even if not week in week out.

I just checked it out.  I thought she sounded great. It's hard to believe she is 90. Thanks for the suggestion, @madmaverick. Another favorite from my childhood! Between Murder, She Wrote, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Beauty and the Beast, I was hooked on Angela Lansbury early on. As I got older I realized she has had a truly distinguished career, far outside the confines of Cabot Cove or the beast's castle! 

I was able to catch her performance in Blithe Spirit when it went on tour early last year. It was a thrill to see her on stage. She must have excellent health, amazing stamina or both. 

Oh, and Gerald McRaney was in the pilot (Jon will only be appearing from the second ep onwards), and he was great!  Way better role than Locksat. ;)  I really wish Castle had focused more on simple, intimate, human and emotional scenes in later seasons rather than the procedural, conspiracy and melodrama.  When I think back on the series, it's those intimate moments that hit on some truths and genuine emotions, be they with Caskett or Castle/Alexis/Martha, that I find some of the most satisfying,

I am planning to give This is Us a try. Seems to have been a lot of positive press and comments about the pilot. Plus it'll be nice to see McRaney as someone other than Loksat! Couldn't agree with you more about the simple moments on Castle. The family relationships, the human and emotional touch was a big part of what caught my attention and kept me involved in the show. 

Edited by GoGiants

Lucky you to have seen her on stage, GoGiants.  Agree she must have amazing stamina!  I only know of her from reruns of Murder, She Wrote (and it always amused me when Nathan introduced the show Castle as Murder, She Wrote but with Castle as Jessica Fletcher heh), but I should check out more of her work from her illustrious career.

I enjoyed This is Us but I wasn't blown away by it or reduced to a teary mess.  I wasn't spoiled about the twist and make sure you aren't either.  Think you might enjoy it more that way.  I saw a pic Jon Huertas posted as his new character, and he's definitely not Esposito anymore.

This headline amused me.  Molly's new role?  Just kidding.  But you never know.  

Magnum Reboot Focusing on Iconic P.I.'s Daughter Eyed at ABC

By Michael Ausiello / September 22 2016, 10:35 AM PDT

Gas up T.C.’s chopper — a Magnum P.I. reboot is ready for liftoff at ABC.

The Alphabet network is developing a new incarnation of the classic ’80s Tom Selleck-starring detective romp that would center on the title character’s daughter, Lily “Tommy” Magnum (played in six episodes of the original series by child actress Kristen Carreira), Deadline reports. The potential new “sequel” series, which is not expected to feature the gainfully-employed-on-Blue Bloods Selleck, would find “Tommy” returning to Hawaii to take up the mantle of her father’s PI firm.

Leverage creator John Rogers and Eva Longoria’s UnbeliEVAble Entertainment are shepherding the project.

Apparently NF is taking part in something called Santa Clarita Diet. I just read on Twitter that he talked about it on some podcast thing with his Thrilling adventure costars. It's a Netflix comedy series with Timothy Olyphant and Drew Barrymore. I checked it out and learned the creator is the guy who did Better off Ted, a series I just started and like a lot so far. So I guess, I'll try it as well.

4 minutes ago, Gant said:

Apparently NF is taking part in something called Santa Clarita Diet. I just read on Twitter that he talked about it on some podcast thing with his Thrilling adventure costars. It's a Netflix comedy series with Timothy Olyphant and Drew Barrymore. I checked it out and learned the creator is the guy who did Better off Ted, a series I just started and like a lot so far. So I guess, I'll try it as well.

Gant, Gant, Gant, I looooooooove  Better Off Ted!  Love it.  One of my favourite comedies.  Made me laugh so hard.  Another show cancelled too soon.  So glad you're checking it out.  Everyone should.   Exciting that Nathan will be on a show by the same creator.  Talented guy.  I hope this show will be just as funny and original.   Good cast with Olyphant and Barrymore.  Checked it out on imdb and zombies are involved (explains the name, heh), which Nathan should love.  I am glad he's going to be on Netflix rather than network, though I'll check him out in Modern Family as well.  Not sure how much he'll be in this show though, but I'll watch it regardless because of the creator.   That podcast about movie trilogies could be interesting.   Might give it a listen later.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Gant said:

Did he mention any specifics on his show?  I don't do Itunes.  I really don't do zombies either, so maybe it's not important for me to know ;-).

What kind of character does he play? Will he get a recurring role?

Comcast is doing a deal with Netflix, so Netflix will likely become a bigger deal (than it already is).

Edited by TWP

I looked it up on ImDB and Wikipedia,and there was no mention of him. He's a big enough name that if it was more than a cameo, I think he would be listed as a cast member.

So I suspect a one-off, if the show even makes it through the season.

• Love 1

Regarding This is Us, when Jack made his Dr. Seuss-like proclamation about the health of his unborn children (I will not...), all I could hear was Dr Bailey on Grey's Anatomy, so I tuned out. By the time the twist came, I didn't even see it as a twist, just a multi-generational theme. I was more worried about the status of the hobby I was working on. I long for the day when Shondaland is in everything and I can give up cable altogether without even turning back. And no, not a single tear fell from my eyes. I don't see where the series can go without Shonda-lite melodrama.

I'll tune in next week for Jon. Hopefully, by then, the eau-de-Rhymes will have dispersed a little. I'm always curious about how the characters we stereotype over 8 years act in other shows. And I love Jon.

Like most everyone else, I love McRaney as an actor too.

8 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I looked it up on ImDB and Wikipedia,and there was no mention of him. He's a big enough name that if it was more than a cameo, I think he would be listed as a cast member.

So I suspect a one-off, if the show even makes it through the season.

Santa Clarita Diet was ordered straight to series and will be released all at once so there's no danger of not making it through the season.  That's what I love about netflix shows.  On the other hand, there can be such a glut of good shows it's hard to find all that time to binge watch. 

Stana's off Broadway show is tonight and she did a fun Twitter (@StanaKatic) scavenger hunt for the people in NYC. She had a person at 7 stops, all Castle-related like the loft and her blown up apartment (the last stop was the theater for tonight), with signed items like scripts, DVDs, framed photos, and (coolest of all IMO) the "Captain Beckett" desk name plate. I think a group of her fans who traveled from as far as Brazil found most of them (no more prizes than number of people though). Now they have to decide who keeps them. 

4 hours ago, FlickerToAFlame said:

Stana's off Broadway show is tonight and she did a fun Twitter (@StanaKatic) scavenger hunt for the people in NYC. She had a person at 7 stops, all Castle-related like the loft and her blown up apartment (the last stop was the theater for tonight), with signed items like scripts, DVDs, framed photos, and (coolest of all IMO) the "Captain Beckett" desk name plate. I think a group of her fans who traveled from as far as Brazil found most of them (no more prizes than number of people though). Now they have to decide who keeps them. 

It's sweet that she did that. Or had her team do it. I hope the play goes well for her.

But I do have to say, I like Stana and all, but I can't imagine traveling that far to see her (or any actor) in a play. Maybe if I was guaranteed a personal meeting with them, or a set visit or something, but not just for a play. I can't imagine airfare from Brazil to NYC is cheap. Do people have that much spare money on their hands?

I know a lot of her fans did that though. I hope they aren't some of the crazy ones and act more appropriately in the theater than they do on the internet.

It is a little surprising but Brazil is an oligarchy with a very very rich class and a very very poor class.

So catch a plane to New York, take in a play, participate in a game, do some shopping, do some more shopping, fly home. Just a little change from visiting Lisbon or London.

On 9/27/2016 at 4:46 AM, FlickerToAFlame said:

I think it's funny and sweet that Stana adopted Nathan's long time practice of doing scavenger hunts for fans.  Maybe they aren't so different after all? ;)  Molly, or perhaps it was Stana or Nathan, I forget, shared in an old, old interview that Nathan had organised a scavenger hunt in NYC for the cast as a way to bond while shooting the pilot.  It's nice that the fans had fun, but if I just had one day in NYC, I don't know that I would have participated unless the stuff was nearby. Too much to see.  Or, I'd just stay camped out at the loft address. :P  Those Brazilians sure are hardcore. ;)

On 9/27/2016 at 9:12 AM, KaveDweller said:

But I do have to say, I like Stana and all, but I can't imagine traveling that far to see her (or any actor) in a play. Maybe if I was guaranteed a personal meeting with them, or a set visit or something, but not just for a play. I can't imagine airfare from Brazil to NYC is cheap. Do people have that much spare money on their hands?

I know a lot of her fans did that though. I hope they aren't some of the crazy ones and act more appropriately in the theater than they do on the internet.

Seems like it was a fangirl fest, so there probably was a lot of gushing.  Hopefully, they kept it mostly on the inside. :P ;)   I don't think I would fly across continents just to see an actor or an event for one weekend, not unless it was part of an extended vacation or a business trip.  Couldn't justify it otherwise.  But what I can't understand is people who fly from afar year after year to L.A. on the off chance of meeting Stana on location, or on some red carpet.  Too many places to see in the world with as little vacation time as there is!  But it's their time and their money.   

I'd like to hear more about the play itself or is that still top secret?  I saw a few pics about and I'm curious about the rabbit theme itself.  And I would love to hear more about Stana's actual performance.  Was she like Beckett, was she unlike Beckett?  Either way, I'm sure she enjoyed a creative challenge after years on a rote procedural.

If I were a Broadway producer, I'd be sure to hire more TV actors with fan followings.  I think they'd sell more tickets than theatre actors or actors who are better known in the industry but who aren't active on social media.

I watched the second ep of This Is Us, where Jon Huertas' character shows up.  (Poor guy got mistaken as Oscar Nunez from The Office on EW.)  After his scene, I thought now he's playing another BFF/sounding board advice giver character.  But then there was a twist and I think he may get more interesting things to do on this show than just that.  This is a show that's all about the characters with a more true to life vibe, so it's refreshing instead of yet another network procedural.  I like it but can see it might be too schmaltzy for some.   Those intimate, emotional moments we wanted to see more of on Castle?  This show is all about delivering those.   I read that it's already got a season order so Jon's set with his employment for the next year.  He may have done the rare thing of landing on two consecutively successful shows.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I'd like to hear more about the play itself or is that still top secret?  I saw a few pics about and I'm curious about the rabbit theme itself.  And I would love to hear more about Stana's actual performance.  Was she like Beckett, was she unlike Beckett?  Either way, I'm sure she enjoyed a creative challenge after years on a rote procedural.

A friend of mine who lives in NYC was lucky enough to get tickets and these are her comments after the show.

"It was very good. The two men who run the theater spent a few minutes on stage saying how much they adored Stana and her husband, that she was not just a great actress but a great human being and that they, two gay men, had fallen in love with her. They also pointed out what bravery it takes to do this, what is essentially a cold reading. She was very, very good, and if anyone needed proof that her ability far exceeds the demands of Castle, or that she is a true stage animal, they got it. I was particularly impressed by her real gift for physical improvisation. She was very sensibly dressed in black pants, a black shirt, and slip-on rubber-soled flats. Very little makeup so she looked much softer than she usually did on Castle.

It's a tiny theater (the capacity is about 240), so everyone had an excellent view. Rob Kyker was one row in front of me, and about four seats to the right. And yes, every person there got to meet her afterwards. She was extremely nice."

Bring on the Oscars, then, um, Tonys?  Stana's fans are always clamoring for all the awards. :P   But in all seriousness, I do wish all the cast well in their future endeavours.  Hopefully The Rendezvous will become widely available so those of us who didn't get to see her onstage can get to see how she fares in another indie.

I would have thought a basic all black ensemble would be the uniform for these types of stage events.  You don't want the audience distracted by anything else.

3 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Bring on the Oscars, then, um, Tonys?  Stana's fans are always clamoring for all the awards. :P   But in all seriousness, I do wish all the cast well in their future endeavours.  Hopefully The Rendezvous will become widely available so those of us who didn't get to see her onstage can get to see how she fares in another indie.

I would have thought a basic all black ensemble would be the uniform for these types of stage events.  You don't want the audience distracted by anything else.

But she did paint her nails bright blue. LOL

I love seeing Jon Huertas playing what promises to be a somewhat substantial role in This is Us, although I do miss his dude-bro-ness  in Castle, because it fits him better. I don't think he's super convincing as the straight-laced voice of reason friend, but maybe as my Castle filter falls off, I'll believe it more. I have to say that the little twists at the end are what keep me watching that show. The Shondaland-esque rants certainly aren't. My fast forward button will probably get more active.

My understanding of the White Rabbit play from reading Playbill is that it's pretty dull and should be seen when your favorite actor is there. I doubt that the 230 or so people who managed to get tix for Stana are the most objective of either the play or Stana's performance. One never knows.  Personally, I think she benefited a great deal from the Castle directors, since I haven't liked her nearly as well on other shows. But maybe she is best with no director at all? I hope a compilation film comes out someday, with bits and pieces from all actors. That would be fun to see.

Edited by TWP