Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Talismans

paigow

When a military plane is shot down in Bosnia, Team Scorpion must help recover its stealth technology before it falls into enemy hands. Meanwhile, Walter's sister takes a break from her MS treatment and spends time at the garage with Sylvester,

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

ENDING RECAP....SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are all stranded apart; Walter and military seal guy get the pilot, Walter deletes the software whilst tricking the guy into thinking he's downloading it, seal guy takes him out, back up arrives.  Cabe shows up in a van with a belt motor made of twisted toilet tissue to make the getaway, and they drive by Toby carrying Happy on his back and she says: "Noone saw this." Deadpan.

Walter before taking his sister back makes new "good" memories by watching a sunrise with her. 

I continue to surprisingly love this show, and really need to find something else to watch the Walter actor in because his eyes just don't give anything away, and that kind of freaks me out, while I want to love him.

I DO love Happy, Doc and Sylvester.  Paige is a useless idiot, I thought there was a hope she'd be gone one day.  Cabe pretty much rocks it all the time. :)

It did seem really off character for Walter to be willing to leave the country without finding Happy and Toby.  Cabe, too.  I call bullshit on that and the writer's need to get it together!

Edited by Jlina
  • Love 2

The show didn't air here until after 3 AM because of the Bills/Jets football game. I happened to be up and not able to sleep so I watched it then.

General: "What you are about to hear is classified. If shared outside these walls it's capital treason."

Walter on phone: Oh hey sis we've got to take a trip to Bosnia. Yeah just going on a mission with the military to retrieve some classified military technology".

Toby: Walter that's treason!

Walter: What? The General said " if shared outside these walls". We're still INSIDE these walls. Besides, it's just my sister.

Toby: ::rolls eyes and walks away::.

Okay only what the General said was actually on the show but ...

Edited by Dot Com
  • Love 5

I'm all for suspending disbelief - the military doesn't have any IT guys of their own? Sure. The IT guy on the Scorpion team can't handle the problem on his own? Okay, let's bring the psychologist and the mechanic along - but they put a uniform on the hot waitress, and bring her to Bosnia with them? Really? What earthly purpose is she supposed to serve there? Oh, right, she's the glue.

I love the show, and I can't argue with the eye candy factor, but seriously. There's a limit. Even my wife, who says the whole thing works because Walter's cute, finally threw up her hands this week. Sheesh.

• Love 3

I would just like to add a little bit to Jlina's recap.  When Walter's sister, Megan, was getting in the car so that Walter could take her back to the facility that she lives at, she pulled out a beaded bracelet and asked Walter what it was.  Turns out that when they were kids, Megan was really sick (with a fever or something?) and her family didn't think that she was going to make it.  So Walter took her bracelet so that he'd have something to remember her by if she died.  He'd been hanging on to it all of these years. 

I continue to surprisingly love this show, and really need to find something else to watch the Walter actor in because his eyes just don't give anything away, and that kind of freaks me out, while I want to love him.

You could try Body of Proof Season 3.  I don't think that you need to see the first two seasons to follow what is going on, and that season features Mark Valley as Elyes Gabel's cop partner .  Yum!

• Love 1

I like this show despite it's 'yea right' moments. It's not taking itself too seriously so it can get away with it. I am confused about their portrayal of MS. Obviously it's a terrible, crippling disease with no known cure but I don't understand why she's stuck in the hospital. I've only known one person well who had MS and after 20 years he was confined to a scooter and had to deal with pain and other problems. But he lived at home with his wife. They were raising a new baby. He went to the doctor more often than most but didn't have to live like a prisoner. I didn't think hospital confinement was typical for MS, especially for someone who is a mobile as she is. Am I not understanding the disease or is the show trying to give a reason why we aren't going to see his sister all that often. 

• Love 3

Walter before taking his sister back makes new "good" memories by watching a sunrise with her.

That was a sunset.  They are in Los Angeles aren't they?  The sun sets over the Pacific Ocean.

This was enjoyable, even though I often find Walter tiresome.  He sure saves a lot of talismans for a person who doesn't believe in them.

• Love 2

I'm willing to handwave a lot of stuff with this show, but I really though Paige ended up not mattering much in this episode.  I know she wanted to go because she was afraid Walter would piss off the soldiers, and she did have that one moment where she told him to cool it, but I still felt like basically Cabe could have done just as good as a job with keeping Walt and the soldiers in check.  While I can buy the convoluted reasons to have Walter, Toby, and Happy along, I really don't buy that Cabe and the military would have deemed Paige a necessity, and put her in danger like that.

Not surprised that despite some hitches, not only did everyone make it out in one piece, but even the pilot managed to be still alive.  Walter's issues with the head solider guy was alright, I guess.  I remember the actor from Believe, and I thought he was more tolerable here.

I guess it was cool seeing Megan again, and her stuff with Sylvester was fun, but I don't think I'll ever believe that Camille Guaty has any Irish blood in her.  Then again, it's not like I really believe Elyes Gabel is Irish either.

Could this truly be the end of Toby's stupid hat?!  Or will he just replace it with another abomination?  Maybe if Happy start hinting he has a chance if he looses that damn thing, he'll be done with it for good.

• Love 2

3girlsforus, that also struck me as well.  I know several people with MS, and none of them are confined to a care facility.  Yes, as one lady I knew got older, she got progressively more frail and had an increasing difficulty getting around and eventually was wheelchair ridden, but that was when she was in her late 60s or so.  MS has many different varieties, so perhaps Walter's sister has a very bad version that causes sudden and debilitating attacks that would require prompt medical attention. 

This was the most preposterous and most awesome episode yet.  Loved it from start to finish.  But I like a good dose of preposterous with my action...

I'll bet Walter goes back to find the bracelet and stores it away again.

• Love 3

I'm all for suspending disbelief - the military doesn't have any IT guys of their own? Sure. The IT guy on the Scorpion team can't handle the problem on his own? Okay, let's bring the psychologist and the mechanic along - but they put a uniform on the hot waitress, and bring her to Bosnia with them? Really? What earthly purpose is she supposed to serve there? Oh, right, she's the glue.

I love the show, and I can't argue with the eye candy factor, but seriously. There's a limit. Even my wife, who says the whole thing works because Walter's cute, finally threw up her hands this week. Sheesh.

You stole the words right out of my mouth about suspension of disbelief.  Just way, way too ridiculous this week.

That was a sunset.  They are in Los Angeles aren't they?  The sun sets over the Pacific Ocean.

This was enjoyable, even though I often find Walter tiresome.  He sure saves a lot of talismans for a person who doesn't believe in them.

Yeah, that "sunrise" was totally bogus.  Come on, writers, it would only take a moment's reflection to realize you can't go from dark outside to sun low in the sky over the Pacific a short time later in LA. 

• Love 1
MS has many different varieties, so perhaps Walter's sister has a very bad version that causes sudden and debilitating attacks that would require prompt medical attention.

Which helps the plot on why he'd need to take her back to the hospital, but does not help as to why he could leave her with Sylvester for 36 hours with no concern for such a thing happening in that time. Which leads me back to: makes no sense/they're writing the sister stuff poorly.

I get that the point of the speech at the end was Sylvester being all brave and shit, but his staying behind was useful. They had sat phones, and yes at a certain point required radio silence, but if they didn't have someone in an office at a computer with regular and reliable internet connectivity (and apparently some hacking ability) they would not have been able to accomplish what they did. Still begs the question why the military didn't have their own such humans, unless we're lead to believe that said team is the military's people for just that, rather than any active duty officers. Still, a person not in a combat zone is a useful thing. Other than to wipe the sensitive whateveritwas, I don't see why they needed any of the geniuses physically on the ground. At best they needed one, if we buy the argument that they needed to be there in person due to the sensitive nature of the data.

Which is a bummer since it kills the whole plot since Walter was the one to notice the fire was faked, unless he were the only one there, which would've frankly made more sense.

Did it bother anyone else that the only one in a wheelchair at the end was the guy who got shot? Mr. Tortured For Hours walks on his own? Shouldn't they both have been immediately loaded into ambulances upon landing? I know the run-hug-reunion moment is jut the schmaltzy ending they were going for, but at this point it's actually the little not believable things that are bothering me more than the big ones.

• Love 2

After the episode where they were throwing a cord out a moving jet and catching it through the sunroof of a speeding car, and using it to update software, I don't think it's reasonable to think they are going for a realistic vibe here.

But since we're questioning, I was also confused by the portrayal of MS. I've had two friends with MS and many others with other disabilities, and I don't know any who would be living in "a hospital"-- especially while that mobile! Sis got around with crutches. Surely she could live independently, perhaps with help, and live a life that goes far beyond lying in the hospital doing PT and tests! It made no sense whatsoever, and even moreso in that she apparently wasn't allowed to go anywhere, ever??? Why not??? Also, the idea that within a year she'd be radically more impaired and close to death? Makes no sense.

I can understand that they insert the team into unreal situations for the excitement factor. But the way they describe the sister's life, it's not exciting, it's just bizarrely inaccurate and for no reason. They could give her some other ailment if they wanted to tug at the mortality issue, or make her much more progressed with the MS if they wanted to portray extreme restrictions. But what storytelling purpose does it serve to show someone who for no reason is being permanently hospitalized and given a dire prognosis, contrary to all appearances and reason?

• Love 3

"Did it bother anyone else that the only one in a wheelchair at the end was the guy who got shot? Mr. Tortured For Hours walks on his own? Shouldn't they both have been immediately loaded into ambulances upon landing?"

Your not the only one theatremous.

• Love 1

Add to the bad CGI, they used the darken cameras "night" I so hate that on TV/Movies... and the cliche minefield and someone steps on a mine and it doesn't go off 

Loved the Happy and Doc moments though..

...Walter's issues with the head solider guy was alright, I guess.  I remember the actor from Believe....

He is such a pretty guy, I'm surprised he isn't doing more stuff. And he seems to have good chemistry with the other actors.

...This was the most preposterous and most awesome episode yet....

Instead of Scorpion, they should've titled the show Preposterous.

But it's so consistently improbable that I don't have too much trouble watching. It's not like they're going along realistically and then all of the sudden doing something that doesn't make sense--although the MS hospital thing was a little too inexplicable, especially given the cost of hospitalization. Baling her out of jail would be peanuts compared to a night in a hospital. Heck, when I need any lab tests or an MRI, if I don't go to a facility outside of a hospital, my insurance bills me hundreds of dollars instead of $50 or so.

• Love 1

I enjoy this show a lot, except for the presence of Paige.  I don't care if she is supposed to be in the group to provide a "normal" person's perspective, she just isn't needed.  She continues to put herself into harm's way.  She ought to see by now that this group gets involved in dangerous situations.  I can't believe she doesn't worry about leaving her son motherless.  She was so nonchalant after they figured out they were in a minefileld.  She made jokes about dying on the flowers instead of the bare dirt.  I think anyone else in her position would have been freaking out and thinking only of her son.  Her character doesn't work at all for me.

• Love 3

Why would anyone think the pilot had encryption codes? And why does a rebel group large enough to pull off this type of scheme not have enough people to post a guard on their secret underground bunker and their prisoner?

Why would anyone think the pilot had encryption codes? And why does a rebel group large enough to pull off this type of scheme not have enough people to post a guard on their secret underground bunker and their prisoner?

Budget cuts, of course!

• Love 1

That was a sunset. They are in Los Angeles aren't they? The sun sets over the Pacific Ocean.

Per my google search, there does seem to be a spot or two where you ban see the sunrise but I only found reference to hotels. If there was a beach you could watch from easily, there'd be a zillion pictures and posts about it. Typically, you have AM fog to deal with in mornings near the coast there I think.

So bad call Show.

So Paige was pretty nonchalant about leaving her kid with no notice to go on a mission to retrieve a body and get back some software/hardware/whatever. In Bosnia.

Haven't seen it in a while and wanted to see if it had improved.  Sadly, no.

Same cliché driven show with ridiculous action....

Haven't watched enough to know their names, but how do the two fall down a hill and are immediately lost?

Give them the code and then unscrew a pipe and hit them with it and no one is able to shoot anyone?

Why was the heavy guy staying the terminal girl and what did he do that she looked she was falling for him?

Walter is so smart, yet can't realize there is more to life than thinking smart.

Walter and the "Believe" dad bonding after almost coming to blows. 

Sending our idiot crew on a military mission?

Paige, oh my, you're adorable.  Could you sing "Over The Rainbow"?

I may watch this show for sheer silliness of it.  Kind of like Under The Dome silliness.

This show really gets good ratings?!??! 

This will definitely be the worst show that gets renewed.  Yep, even the 100 is better than this.  Hey, they have good scenery.