Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Yeah, i was really disappointed when I saw the list.

Well they can't come out and say "These are the guys that might be young Han Solo, because the perfect guy to be Han Solo is too old to be prequel Han Solo, and he's already basically playing Han Solo in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Sorry, if you can find a way to get a 24 year old Chris Pratt, we'd take it in a nanosecond."

And one of the names played the asshole boyfriend in Age of Extinction, quite possibly a worse character than Sam's roommate in Revenge of the Fallen.

I love that they went with lesser-known actors for TFA, and I am hoping against hope they will do the same thing for the Han movie. (I don't even WANT a Han movie, but if they're set on making one, then I want it to not suck.) I hope that whoever they cast will be a surprise, and someone who's the best choice for the role, not just a random white dude whose career has heat right now (Ansel Elgort, blech). 

• Love 1

Eww, Miles Teller is in the running? In what universe is that douchecanoe (NSFL) even remotely as attractive and charming as Harrison Ford in his prime?

Echoing the thoughts that Disney casts some unknown, who really fits the role, instead of whichever white bread actor has the hottest name right now.

• Love 4

I hate GameStop.  Sorry, just had to say it.

I hate GameStop too. I went against every instinct and pre-ordered the Felicity Funko from them because they advertised an earlier street date, but I should've known they were lying liars that lie. 

• Love 1

I just don't give a damn about a Han Solo movie. I've no idea why we need one. There are so many more interesting things about Star Wars to explore, and I generally don't like prequels anyway.

And if they really needed a prequel, I'd sooner watch one about Lando or basically anybody else except Han, Luke and Leia. There was enough of them in the main movies (well, I'd watch a movie about Luke and Leia between the original trilogy and TFA, though).

Edited by FurryFury

I feel like anytime you do a reboot you need to cast an unknown.

ITA.  Just look at the Star Trek reboot where JJ Abrams cast the unknown Chris Pine and the relatively unknown Zachary Quinto. In fact, the entire cast was perfectly cast.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I think a Han Solo prequel could be interesting, I'd love one that centered around Han being at the Imperial Academy and meeting Chewie.  I would also love one that dealt with Han/Chewie/Lando in their younger years, that could be fun as well.

However, for me, what I really want with the Star Wars stories is to have Knights of the Old Republic turned into a Movie/Trilogy.  I think it would be awesome to that kind of prequel, one that's set a Thousand Years before the Prequels/OT etc.

• Love 2

OMG, I thought that list was a tumblr joke but it's actually real? Why? What sane casting director would pick any of those guys? 

If the casting ends up being really wrong I'm just going to ignore the entire movie. It doesn't have to be canon if I don't want it to be.

So I've been watching Making a Murderer on Netflix this past week (I'm only through the 4th episode) and it's surprising how much it's upsetting me. I'm generally a fan of true crime stories--I absolutely loved watching The Jinx on HBO--and I've generally been able to stay relatively detached from the stories told, but this one is downright hard to watch. It's not so much that I can say for 100% sure who is guilty or innocent, but there is definitely something terribly wrong in how the system (and the police in particular) treated Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey. What absolutely devastates me is watching what happens to Brendan who was only 16 year-old at the time. You clearly see he didn't have the mental capacity to understand the chain of events his coerced "confession" set into motion and yet the justice system ran over him like a freight train. It's the very definition of heartbreaking.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

ITA.  Just look at the Star Trek reboot where JJ Abrams cast the unknown Chris Pine and the relatively unknown Zachary Quinto. In fact, the entire cast was perfectly cast.

I trust JJ Abrams on casting... There hasn't been one project that I can easily think of that he has been involved in the casting and the casting has been bad.

He usually does a great job with casting knowns & unknowns. So if he is involved in the casting & the movie I feel more confident. But it's going to be hard to find someone to capture the charisma of Harrison Ford. Han Solo is a pretty cool guy, but let's face it most people love the guy because of what Harrison Ford brings to the role.

• Love 2

Changing topics to rant because I need to vent: apparently when I started a new job a little over a year ago I completely botched my tax forms and not a single person noticed, so now instead of a huge refund I was hoping for I now owe a bunch more money which is definitely going to put a pretty big damper on the selling of my house and limit my options during my current apartment hunt (which is awful in this state and a completely separate source of stress).

I'm very much ready for the month to be over so my shows can distract me.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 4
apparently when I started a new job a little over a year ago I completely botched my tax forms and not a single person noticed, so now instead of a huge refund I was hoping for I now owe a bunch more money

I'm guessing that you're talking about filling out your W-4 withholding forms.  Handling these forms is one of my job responsibilities, and I may say something if I notice that a new employee has done something funny (like claim three allowances when they have no spouse or children), but that's just because I'm a nice person.  Yeah, your employer is definitely NOT checking how you fill these forms out.  They just make sure that you have completed the forms and signed them, and that's about as much as they can do.  I guess they might say something if they notice that you've claimed an insane amount of allowances, but if you put somewhere between one to three, that would seem legit, and they wouldn't question it.  My tip for anyone who cares is to completely ignore the personal allowance worksheet and if you like getting money back at tax time, always claim zero allowances (and maybe even withhold extra money from your weekly paycheck).  They tell you this is bad...blah, blah, blah, because you're loaning the government interest-free money.  But whatever, I like a large tax refund.  

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

Yeah, it's totally my fault. I have no idea what the fuck I put, honestly I just looked over it and it makes absolutely no sense and I've been hating myself ask morning.

Thanks for the tip though, here's to 2017.

So I've been watching Making a Murderer on Netflix this past week (I'm only through the 4th episode) and it's surprising how much it's upsetting me. I'm generally a fan of true crime stories--I absolutely loved watching The Jinx on HBO--and I've generally been able to stay relatively detached from the stories told, but this one is downright hard to watch. It's not so much that I can say for 100% sure who is guilty or innocent, but there is definitely something terribly wrong in how the system (and the police in particular) treated Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey. What absolutely devastates me is watching what happens to Brendan who was only 16 year-old at the time. You clearly see he didn't have the mental capacity to understand the chain of events his coerced "confession" set into motion and yet the justice system ran over him like a freight train. It's the very definition of heartbreaking.

I just finished watching the series and it was definitely upsetting as well as incredibly frustrating to watch. It's upsetting how the system is such a failure at times, and it's frustrating how stupid the Avery family is at times. 

The whole thing made zero sense. Everyone knows that these people aren't the brightest people in that county, there was zero blood at the crime scene (only bullets), and NO person that dumb would be able to get out all the blood (with all that splatter) in a cluttered garage. 

Not only that, but I felt even more sorry for Brendan Dassey whose life has essentially been taken away from him at 16 because of those asshole investigators who pretty much coerced him into saying something. Also his first lawyer, Len was such a snake. 

• Love 1

Okay people, I need your help!

I have mentioned in the past that I am a Pastry student, well... currently I am doing a wedding cakes lab and we get to chose how to decorate the cake. So I was thinking, why not do a cake for Oliver and Felicity wedding?

Now this is where it gets tricky, I would absolutely love to put a Felicity and Oliver (as the Arrow) Funko Pop figures as the topper, but Felicity is still not available on the market and to get her from Australia is insanely pricy for me right now.

I was wondering if there is anyone on this board who has her and Oliver (Arrow outfit with the hood pulled off) and would be willing to lend them for a couple of weeks? In return I offer: paying for shipment, homemade pastries as a thank you!, a signed drawing of the cake. AND of course! should anything happen to the figures i'll buy you a new one.

If anyone can help, or know someone who can help!

I just finished watching the series and it was definitely upsetting as well as incredibly frustrating to watch. It's upsetting how the system is such a failure at times, and it's frustrating how stupid the Avery family is at times.

Yes. That's why I said I can't 100% for sure say Steven Avery is not guilty--there's simply too much weirdness, criminal behavior, and general WTF-kery in that family to make that claim. What is clear is that the whole investigation and trial was shady at best so I can say with absolute certainty that neither got treated fairly. One is presumed innocent until proven otherwise. Both Averys went into the situation under the presumption of guilt both with the police and in the court of public opinion and were essentially forced to prove their innocence. The sad thing is the system (which clearly had the motive to destroy them) ran over them and they lacked the means to fight it.

The whole thing made zero sense. Everyone knows that these people aren't the brightest people in that county, there was zero blood at the crime scene (only bullets), and NO person that dumb would be able to get out all the blood (with all that splatter) in a cluttered garage.

Well except for the strategically placed blood in the car and on the car key which magically had no other DNA present (not even the victim's). But your point about the garage is valid. It's well established this family has its share of criminals, but they are certainly not the mastermind variety, capable of pulling off such an immaculate crime scene.

Not only that, but I felt even more sorry for Brendan Dassey whose life has essentially been taken away from him at 16 because of those asshole investigators who pretty much coerced him into saying something. Also his first lawyer, Len was such a snake.

Don't even get me started on Grinner McSmileyson. Every time I see that Len guy say or do something completely asinine with his signature smirk on his face I want to reach through the TV and rip his lips off. Public defender my eye. Sorry...I normally don't have a bent for violence towards real people but this whole Brendan situation just makes me rage and the one person there to protect him has no intention of doing so. Grr!

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

I have mentioned in the past that I am a Pastry student, well... currently I am doing a wedding cakes lab and we get to chose how to decorate the cake. So I was thinking, why not do a cake for Oliver and Felicity wedding?

Now this is where it gets tricky, I would absolutely love to put a Felicity and Oliver (as the Arrow) Funko Pop figures as the topper, but Felicity is still not available on the market and to get her from Australia is insanely pricy for me right now.

I was wondering if there is anyone on this board who has her and Oliver (Arrow outfit with the hood pulled off) and would be willing to lend them for a couple of weeks? In return I offer: paying for shipment, homemade pastries as a thank you!, a signed drawing of the cake. AND of course! should anything happen to the figures i'll buy you a new one.

When will you need them by? I ordered the Felicity Pop from the e-tailer in Australia so it's on its way, but it won't be here for another week at least. i can offer my GA and Felicity-like LEGO figures as an alternative.

• Love 1

When will you need them by? I ordered the Felicity Pop from the e-tailer in Australia so it's on its way, but it won't be here for another week at least. i can offer my GA and Felicity-like LEGO figures as an alternative.

The end of next week, at the latest!- cake is due on the 26th. I much prefer the Funko Pop since imo they look far better than the DC/WB produced ones.

i've never seen the LEGO ones, do you mind linking to a picture of them? how big are they?

The end of next week, at the latest!- cake is due on the 26th. I much prefer the Funko Pop since imo they look far better than the DC/WB produced ones.

i've never seen the LEGO ones, do you mind linking to a picture of them? how big are they?

Hmm.. that's really soon. As far as I can tell from social media, the only people who have received their Felicity Pops so far are in Australia and Spain. Have you considered making the figures with fondant?

The LEGO figures are much smaller than the Funkos, so I don't know if they'll work for what you have in mind. "Felicity" and unmasked Oliver are mods using pieces from other sets, although you can buy the official GA minifig from Amazon. 

cjsUCzBm.jpg brUB2Icm.jpg

How good are you at making cookies? Last year I went to a friends wedding and they had cookie toppers that looked just like them. They were cute as can be too. Cookie Felicity and Oliver would surely be as cute. At first they were thinking about doing paper doll versions of themselves which were cute too but cost about the same as the cookie so they went with the cookie. Perhaps one of those idea would be good for you if you can't get a Funko Felicity. Or you can find a fake felicity that can ship to you on time.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1

The Brendan stuff was by far the hardest for me to watch. I had to take some breaks during the episodes that were mainly focused on him because they were so enraging. I'm not 100% sure Steven is innocent, but I do think Brendan is. The poor kid got roped up in something he isn't capable of understanding and now no longer has his freedom. It's heartbreaking to think about.

There have been some new developments in the case - Steven has a new legal team, fronted by Kathleen Zellner and the Midwest Innocence Project. Zellner has exonerated 17 wrongly convicted people over the last 20 years and by all accounts is a legal bad-ass. I wish there was more hope on Brendan's front, but it looks like Steven may have a chance. 

• Love 2

The cookie idea above was a good one in a pinch.... I've also heard of people doing amazing stuff with fondant to build up figurines. I feel like my friend who does cakes, has mentioned that there is some transferable screens for icing & fondant.

But one idea I thought about was perhaps you could use something symbolic for the cake topper like glasses & bow/arrow.

I have no figurines to offer. :( All I can wish is GOOD LUCK! Let us know how the cake turns out whatever you choose. :)

• Love 3

So I finally watched Agent Carter and Jessica Jones over the last month or so.  I found JJ to be a bit of a slog, but I breezed through AC, which was so well-done.   I liked both, but at times, I found JJ (and Daredevil) to be a little too pedantic and melancholy for me.   I see why many of you liked JJ so much, but it was just a little too unrelentingly depressing for me to be excited about watching the next season.    I agree about the female friendship though.  Much better in JJ than AC. 

Agent Carter was my cup of tea and truly a tremendous standalone series.  But what I wasn't expecting is how it added to the cinematic and television Marvel universe in very significant and rewarding ways.  It added to my enjoyment of almost every one of the films and even AoS.   Like a Easter egg bonanza but also adding mystery, depth and stories to the characters who populate the modern landscape.  It's very creative what they've done with that show, and she is an unbelievable character.  I liked her so much more here than in Captain America.   I am so happy it got a second season and I hope it does well enough to get a third.

Not necessarily trying to compare the two, but just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations from this board.  That -- and a dearth of TV in December/January-- are what finally got me to pull the trigger on watching them. 

• Love 4

I actually just finished s1 of Agent Carter and enjoyed it. But I wasn't as blown away with it as I thought I would be after all the praise it received on the board. I loved Hayley Atwell and her character. But I found some of the scripts and stories wanting.... It was just a clunky storyline at points and seemed buried in fact discovery. But I guess if was invested in Marvel Comiclore, that would have been more exciting for me. The whole Stark thing really burdened the show. I have hopes that s2 will be better now that they have moved to a new place and can give her more mysteries to unravel and undercover missions to go on. I just wanted her & Jarvis to get into mischief. I also remember how kick ass Lynsey Fonseca can be from her Nikita Days, so I guess I was expecting her to do some actual stunts. So that was a bummer that she was just the friend and not a fighting companion. I also was unimpressed with most of the cast outside of Jarvis, HA & LF, so that was a disappointment. I did like the episode with Neal McDonough though, so there were some good episodes. But I have higher hopes for s2. I also wonder if I had not binged it, if it would have played better with the weekly anticipation.

The cookie idea above was a good one in a pinch.... I've also heard of people doing amazing stuff with fondant to build up figurines. I feel like my friend who does cakes, has mentioned that there is some transferable screens for icing & fondant.

But one idea I thought about was perhaps you could use something symbolic for the cake topper like glasses & bow/arrow.

I have no figurines to offer. :( All I can wish is GOOD LUCK! Let us know how the cake turns out whatever you choose. :)

Yes you can use Fondant as well as gum paste to create all kind of things!

As I am sketching the cake more and more I am becoming more and more unsure about having the figures, I may still chose to use them.. we'll see. In the meantime, and just so i can have a 2nd option, i'm sketching Felicity glasses and the Arrow mask (BTW is the S4 mask the same as the previous one? I can't tell) as the toppers (Thank you for the idea BTW!)

The only problem is I can't decide which colors to make the fondant around the "cake" (I am using "" because we're not using a real cake we'll be using styrofoam instead as the "cake") I'm thinking Red and Green of course.. however it also has the disastrous potential to look like Christmas throw up on the cake...

• Love 1

How about pink and green? I see pink being associated with Felicity a lot, probably because of the her shirt in her first appearance.

I was about to suggest this - tints of green and red. You could punch up the colors by adding in details in darker shades, like piping arrows or computer circuitry for Felicity in icing.

• Love 2

The whole Stark thing really burdened the show.

I liked the Howard Stark thing because I think both characters needed what season 1 gave us.  Howard did need some closure on Steve, he helped make Steve into Captain America, and felt responsible when he couldn't find him.  He felt he failed both Steve and Peggy by not finding Steve.  It's what both characters needed to build SHIELD and honor Steve that way.

• Love 4

Yes you can use Fondant as well as gum paste to create all kind of things!

As I am sketching the cake more and more I am becoming more and more unsure about having the figures, I may still chose to use them.. we'll see. In the meantime, and just so i can have a 2nd option, i'm sketching Felicity glasses and the Arrow mask (BTW is the S4 mask the same as the previous one? I can't tell) as the toppers (Thank you for the idea BTW!)

The only problem is I can't decide which colors to make the fondant around the "cake" (I am using "" because we're not using a real cake we'll be using styrofoam instead as the "cake") I'm thinking Red and Green of course.. however it also has the disastrous potential to look like Christmas throw up on the cake...

Please take a photo of the cake and post it here when you're done! :) I'd love to see it

Also I know you're cooling on the whole 'funko' thing for the figures, but Felicity funkos have just started selling on Amazon and I'm sure you can get it by next week if you want :)

• Love 1

That's such sad news.  I just recently watched Galaxy Quest on TV - what a wonderful movie and Alan Rickman was great in it.  From Die Hard to Galaxy Quest to Harry Potter to Lee Daniels' The Butler (among other movies), he showed wide acting range and commanded the screen.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

On a more superficial note, Oscar nominations were announced this morning (Brooklyn and Saoirse Ronan are among the nominees!)...

Oscars 2016 Nominations: Complete List of Nominees
by ZACH JOHNSON Thu, Jan 14, 2016 8:45 AM

http://www.eonline.com/news/730249/oscars-2016-nominations-complete-list-of-nominees

2016 Oscar Nominations Announced! Sylvester Stallone, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mad Max Earn Nods

BY JODI GUGLIELMI @JodiGug3 01/14/2016 AT 08:30 AM EST

http://www.people.com/article/oscar-2016-nominations

Edited by tv echo

Official trailer for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (out Feb. 5th) - I don't know, this movie could be either enjoyable or really bad...

Best case scenario, it's both. Their Darcy looks like snot-nosed, so that's working against them. Unless he's really clever and uses that as subterfuge.

Sly Stallone got an Oscar nom?

So sad too hear about Alan Rickman... he was a truly amazing actor. He made his characters so realistic. I'm still disturbed by his role in Robin Hood PoT. But what he did with Snape introduced him to a whole new generation. It's a shame we & they won't get to enjoy his tremendous talent, but he left us with a wonderful body of work.

It's a been a really sad week/month.

• Love 2

Best case scenario, it's both. Their Darcy looks like snot-nosed, so that's working against them. Unless he's really clever and uses that as subterfuge.

Sly Stallone got an Oscar nom?

He won the GG for best supporting actor, it's possible he could win an Oscar as well.

I loved the P&P w Zombies book but i'm not thrilled with that trailer.  I think I'll pass on the movie.

The links to Emma Watson &JK Rowling posts found in the mashable article are also very moving.

Like JKR said we have all lost an amzing talent. But his family and friends have lost a piece of their hearts. Thoughts and prayers to them...

Actually thoughts and prayers to everyone and their families/friends that are suffering from major illnesses. The world is such a sad place now. I feel like so many people are heartbroken and weary. All I can say is Cancer and so many other illnesses suck.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1