Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Just saw Star Wars. No spoilers, except to say it's A LOT OF FUN, and emotional, and so so PRETTY. Yes.

That's awesome to hear I'm so stoked for this movie. On a shallow note the woman who plays Rey, Daisy Ridley is gorgeous !!

Going to see it tonight. Thanks for keeping it spoiler free.

Any chance that we can keep any comments about the movie spoiler tagged for a week or so since I know I can't get to see it until at least a week from now?  :(  The fear of being spoiled is strong in this one. 

• Love 7

Any chance that we can keep any comments about the movie spoiler tagged for a week or so since I know I can't get to see it until at least a week from now? :( The fear of being spoiled is strong in this one.

Seconded! There's no way for me to see it this week with all the stuff I need to get done for the holidays :(
  • Love 1

Any chance that we can keep any comments about the movie spoiler tagged for a week or so since I know I can't get to see it until at least a week from now? :( The fear of being spoiled is strong in this one.

No worries, I don't want to spoil anyone.

All I will say is that it was a great movie. This made me forget all about the crappy prequels.

• Love 6

No worries, I don't want to spoil anyone.

All I will say is that it was a great movie. This made me forget all about the crappy prequels.

I'm happy to hear that! I really disliked Episodes 1-3 and I wanted to hear non-spoilery opinions of the new movie from people that weren't Prequel apologists. (My friends tend to fall into 2 categories-- Lucas fanboys or not Star Wars fans)

• Love 1

I went with a group of people who all grew up with and loved the first three movies, and we all really enjoyed it.  I got a little teary when the John Williams score started, and was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked most of the next generation actors, especially Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

Yeah, I don't want to get to spoilery since it only just came out, but I just came back from it and really enjoyed it.  Only thing I will add for now is that I really think Daisy Ridley is going to be a huge star after this.

I remember Harrison Ford himself said she was Amazing along with John Boyega. Daisy is quite Goregous as well!

I'm not sure The Force Awakens justifies all of the hype - in my own opinion it's not as good as Empire Strikes Back or the original Star Wars, and I have some quibbles - but it's light years, nay, galaxies, beyond those prequels.  I was pleasantly surprised, though then again I was expecting it to suck. And like others here, I may have gotten a bit teary eyed with the John Williams score, and I think Daisy Ridley is about to hit major stardom after this.  

My audience applauded a lot and burst out into major cheers more than once, so I think I may try to see it again to hear the bits of dialogue that I missed - though watching it in an audience where nearly everyone was wearing a Star Wars shirt did end up adding to the fun.

• Love 3

There was a girl wearing a Darth Vader helmet in the audience in my cinema. Although she was so tiny it looked like Lord Helmet (or whatever his name was) of Spaceballs fame, but still! Also, me, a guy from our group and probably lots of other fans were in Star Wars T-shirts (I was wearing the Vader one).

It was a great, memorable experience. Loved it.

I haven't seen it yet... but there is something magical about seeing any movie on opening night/weekend with diehard fans. The laughing, cheering, yelling, clapping and overall verbal enthusiasm. It just makes the whole experience more interactive. It makes all the lines or stress over getting tickets worth it.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

Interesting Deadline Hollywood article: The TV Guest Actor Pay Squeeze: Recurring Are The New Regulars, Guest Stars Become Day Players

. . . guest-starring gigs that would have normally been top of the show are now more and more often done as 1-3-day stints also at a deeply discounted price, making it virtually impossible for actors to live on guest-starring roles and meet their minimums for SAG-AFTRA health insurance . . .

. . . Top of  Show guest stars were once a staple of the TV industry, with guest actors on a show routinely getting paid for the full production cycle of a TV episode — 7-8 days for drama, 5 days for comedy – plus 10% – for each job, no matter how many days they actually worked. For non-recurring characters, that has now been reduced dramatically to as little as scale for a single day’s work. TV series productions do more boarding of episodes, so if a guest character has three big scenes in an episode, instead of filming them over 3 days, they are squeezed together in one day, and an actor can be hired just for that one day . . .

. . . If they receive a “Guest Star,” “Special Guest Star,” “Starring” or “Special Appearance By” screen credit, they have to be paid as top of show “Major Role” performers – eight days of pay, plus 10%. But if they receive no such credit, they can be hired as Day Performers, or as Three-Day Performers. “Major Role” performers on new half-hour shows make a minimum of $4,983 a week, while Major Role performers on new one-hour shows make a minimum of $7,973 a week, though for cable series, those numbers can be lower, with cable dramas sometime paying in the $5,500 range per episode. By contrast, actors who don’t receive “Guest Star” billing can be hired for as little as $906 a day, which I’ve seen slide down to the $800 range for some shows, or as Three-Day Performers for as little as $2,294, or as Weekly Performers for only $3,145 or even less . . .

. . . Meanwhile, a new trend has emerged on series — especially new ones — in the past couple of years, with studios “pre-buying” actors as top of show recurring guest stars for 6-8 episodes. That can then be extended for extra episodes, so more and more actors would do as many episodes as a regular cast member on a series for $8,000 an episode or less vs. a $20,000-$40,000 per-episode fee for a regular . . .

. . . Sometimes an actor that plays an important character can apply some leverage, booking other jobs that create scheduling conflicts to force the studio to promote them to regular in order to have them available. But in most cases, actors lay low for fear of losing the recurring gig. With series regular roles increasingly going to feature actors, TV performers, especially middle-aged ones, don’t have many options, so they would take a top of show recurring guest starring gig even if they essentially are providing series regular services . . .

• Love 3

Interesting.... is the right word. Thanks for posting!

I wonder how the contracts are written on shows that have a significant amount of crossover like the NBC Chicago series and Flarrowverse. I can't imagine sister shows would be willing to shell out money to actors that they already have on contract on the same network. I can't imagine ARROW shelling out that much money to have GG stand by a grave for a few lines, however, I can't imagine GG's team not demanding he get paid what he is due for his work. I can see why crossovers can be a great idea for cross-promotion, but also why networks may hate & love them all at the same time. In addition to scheduling nightmares, there are a lot of financials that need to be worked out, that might not make itself back in profits.

• Love 1

The Force Awakens was really enjoyable, especially considering how disappointing the Prequels were. I ended up at a daytime session, so the fan atmosphere  wasn't there, but doesn't stop it from being entertaining.

In other news, I asked my sister for Oliver and Felicity Funko-Pops as part of my christmas present and they have arrived!! I haven't seen them but she has confirmed, which is great because I was getting worried after hearing about Felicity being hard get in the US, I though I would only get it next year. :))

• Love 3

The show I still for some reason liked just killed the character I really really cared about in a pretty stupid way (he was also a half of my ship). I'm pissed and very sad. Somebody, recommend me something heartwarming to watch, please. Youtube video, TV show, don't care.

• Love 1

The show I still for some reason liked just killed the character I really really cared about in a pretty stupid way (he was also a half of my ship). I'm pissed and very sad. Somebody, recommend me something heartwarming to watch, please. Youtube video, TV show, don't care.

Bummer.  I still haven't forgiven Ballykissangel for doing something similar and that was in the 90's.  How about these cute babies responding to their Dad playing the guitar?

• Love 5

Oh, man, I think we're on the same sunken ship? Was it

Homeland

? I'm desolate about that show.

• Love 1

I swear that I'm not in denial, but it seems unclear to me if that person on that show we're talking about actually is dead.  No, it would not be realistic for that person to be alive...but this is TV, and plenty of things that happen on TV are completely unrealistic.  If that really was supposed to be a death, I won't be watching next season, and I'm more than a little pissed that nothing much every happened between the couple, because I ship (shipped?) them too.    

• Love 2

How about these cute babies responding to their Dad playing the guitar?

There's one a year later, and another two years later, and it's really interesting to see that in spite of being identical twins, they have different personalities.  One is more impulsive and the other more planning things out.

Just caught Star Wars. I'll admit up front that I'm not a huge fan. I liked the original three well enough, but had no interest in the prequels.

It was good. Fun. Entertaining. People were loving on it so much I actually expected it to be better though.

The cast was really strong and there was certainly homage paid. Those were probably its biggest strengths.

The whole time I'm watching Rey I'm thinking she looks like Kiera Knightly and then there is a scene at the end where she looked so much like Haley Atwell.

At the other end of the spectrum from the Star Wars film, I also saw Brooklyn this weekend.  Lovely film, with a sort of restrained romanticism that I enjoyed, and I got a kick out of seeing EBR playing one of boarding house residents.  EBR looked at home in a period piece and on the big screen, and I hope she gets to do more film.

• Love 5

Finally saw Star Wars... and HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! 

Those bastards they killed Han Solo!!! It was a powerful scene though.. poor Chewie!!
Also I am totally calling Rey as Luke's daughter. right? I feel like they made a comment about it in the movie or such.

ETA: read an article that theorize Rey may be Obi Wen granddaughter because she speaks with a British accent unlike Luke's and Leila American, and another one that says she may be both- ie Obi granddaughter via a daughter who had Rey with Luke. it's an interesting theory

Edited by foreverevolving

On a completely random note.... I just watched ALOHA and it is absolutely horrible...

I do not know how you manage to cast Rachel McAdams, John Krasinski, Bradley Cooper, Bill Murray, Emma Stone and create such an unwatchable and terribly boring movie. Add to that the fact that it was set in Hawaii and written/directed by Cameron Crowe, yet still managed to suck. It was just so BAD!!

Seriously, I'm baffled. I'm watching the behind the scenes documentaries, just to get an understanding of where the project went so wrong. I do not recommend the film.

ETA - Watched the bonus feature documentary on making ALOHA, still didn't explain why the movie was so bad when the background story was so good. But it was leaps and bounds better than the movie itself. Far more interesting and enjoyable to watch.

Edited by kismet

Critics' Choice Awards added Star Wars: The Force Awakens to their best picture nominees on Tuesday (exception for late addition made only for best picture category, only the second time they've done this: Cast Away was also a late addition in 2000)...

Critics' Choice adds 'Star Wars' last-minute
Andrea Mandell, USA TODAY 3:53 p.m. EST December 22, 2015
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/12/22/critics-choice-adds-star-wars-to-best-picture-list/77765190/

Edited by tv echo

And a happy holiday season to all.

Ditto. ..

Wishing everyone a Very Merry, Happy & Healthy Holiday Season! :)

Oh and thanks Arrow~ the Little Drummer Boy is officially haunting me the last 3 days, it was everywhere. A little harder to listen to it this season. :(

REMINDER:  This is the SMALL TALK thread.  Even though it's pinned on top of each page, here is a reminder of what Small Talk is:

The Small Talk topic is for:

•Introductions
•Off-topic chatter
•Having virtual tea with forum buddies

And a reminder of what Small Talk is NOT:

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
1.Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
2.Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
3.If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

There has been tons of talk about things related to the show.  They've been moved to the proper threads. 

Please remember what this thread is intended for when you post.

Thanks and happy posting!

• Love 2

Got home from the Musuem of Science and saw the traveling exhibit "The Science Behind Pixar" wih my niece & nephews. It was a lot of fun and so informative. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in animation, visual arts/science & computers/coding. I never realized all the math and science that goes on behind-the-scenes at Pixar. It was hands-on and everyone loved it from children to adults.

Been binging Miss Fisher's Mysteries. I really like it, especially all the feminism. (The female characters are important and have their own stories; they are not just around to support and validate the men...imagine that!) But holy crap some of the murders are frigging horrifying. Just watched the one in which the victims are paralyzed with some drug and a sharp metal rod is sloooooooowly poked up into their brains. While they're awake but unable to move. Nightmare fuel right there.

My fave moment might be when Miss Fisher's butler, Mr. Butler, eats a bunch of hash fudge. I nearly died laughing.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

Been binging Miss Fisher's Mysteries. I really like it, especially all the feminism. (The female characters are important and have their own stories; they are not just around to support and validate the men...imagine that!) But holy crap some of the murders are frigging horrifying. Just watched the one in which the victims are paralyzed with some drug and a sharp metal rod is sloooooooowly poked up into their brains. While they're awake but unable to move. Nightmare fuel right there.

My fave moment might be when Miss Fisher's butler, Mr. Butler, eats a bunch of hash fudge. I nearly died laughing.

I love Miss Fisher's. What episode was the one with the butler?

I love Miss Fisher's. What episode was the one with the butler?

Murder in the Dark, 1.12. Also the one with the costume ball (including a risque Lady Godiva). 

Miss Fisher: How much fudge did you eat?

Mr. Butler: One, two, Buckle my shoe.

Three, four....

Sidekick guy: And he's still standing!

So got bored and jumped into the part of my DVR that is covered in cobwebs.  Watched both seasons of The Librarians this weekend.  I liked it.  A lot.  Not Arrow level of like or even AOS or Big Bang Theory or even New Girl but it was a well written, fun show for what it was trying to be.  Talk about lack of angst!  Nothing really deep.  No cliff hangers.  But always entertaining and each season resolved itself to the point that if it never gets renewed, I'm good.  Even had just a touch of romance. 

It will never win any awards but I'll happily let it pile up on my DVR next year so I can look forward to another binge weekend. 

• Love 4

The Librarians kinda filled the void left by Eureka/Warehouse 13 + Leverage ending for me. A team of misfits solving the problem of the week while they ~learn a lesson about themselves in the process~ is pretty much my favorite tv show setup.

And Miss Fisher is my new obsession. I binged all of it earlier this month, and now I'm rewatching at a slower pace. What a fantastic little gem of a show.

• Love 2

I watched the BBC miniseries And then there were none. Easily the best Agatha Christie adaptation in a long time and maybe ever, for me -and I'm the equivalent of the most die-hard DC fanboys in this field. The acting was top notch (Charles Dance, to start with). As for the atmosphere and a good number of scenes, they were exactly as I imagined them reading the book and this is no small feat.

The "edgier" scenes that annoyed/incensed some reviewers didn't bother me at all, I didn't feel that it denatured the original work. So for once, I really enjoyed seeing the characters and the story onscreen.

• Love 1

I watched the BBC miniseries And then there were none. Easily the best Agatha Christie adaptation in a long time and maybe ever, for me -and I'm the equivalent of the most die-hard DC fanboys in this field. The acting was top notch (Charles Dance, to start with). As for the atmosphere and a good number of scenes, they were exactly as I imagined them reading the book and this is no small feat.

The "edgier" scenes that annoyed/incensed some reviewers didn't bother me at all, I didn't feel that it denatured the original work. So for once, I really enjoyed seeing the characters and the story onscreen.

It was good, I guess I'll check it out. I read the book years ago and enjoyed it. I heard about the new mini series. I know they have another movie out there somewhere but I figured I wait for the new one. 

Totally small talk but after 4 years of driving me crazy about "should I, or shouldn't I" my 60 year old mother has finally joined the rest of us in the 21st century and bought herself a computer- well a tablet to be precise.

So far she seems to enjoy it very much (even if she is grumbling about the price- she got an ipad). It's like watching a kid in a candy store :-P Totally cool!

• Love 5

It was good, I guess I'll check it out. I read the book years ago and enjoyed it. I heard about the new mini series. I know they have another movie out there somewhere but I figured I wait for the new one. 

I hope you'll enjoy it, then :)