Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I hope my survey about camps wasn't rude to those who didn't have the same opportunities. ..

Waitandhope, what kind of camps do you send your kids to?

I took zero offense. My husband and I have two professional jobs and elementary age kids, so camps save our bacon - even though I am already having to sign up for them for SUMMER 2016!  I just think it's disconcerting and amazing that my parents both also worked and somehow never put me in a single camp... Mostly, I'm laughing at myself and a sort of gross overreaction/helicopter parenting with all these great camp opportunities to my kids -- soccer camps at a university, amazing theater camps, Camp Halfblood where they get to pretend they are part of the Percy Jackson books, Girls in Science camps, Chinese camp...that only scratches the surface! 

• Love 2

I just saw the news about Paris and I hope people are safe. I was just in Paris a year ago for the first time and it was so lovely. Just so horrifying to imagine what people are going through right now…

We never had much money for camp when I was growing up and we definitely couldn't afford Space Camp, so Felicity's regrets really hit me! I attended some summer camp at the local community college where my dad taught; art camp, astronomy, dance (which I quickly realized just how uncoordinated I was). 

• Love 4

There's a lot to be said for all the summers that I had nothing to do but ride my bike for hours around the neighborhood.

We were far too poor to send me and my sister to camp so summer biking was pretty much my entire summer. All my friends would map out the entire neighborhood and try to find all the secret spots that most people didn't know about. Before becoming teenagers to Abadi into the local hotels pools. I really miss that sometimes.

Also no offense taken, my summers were awesome.

• Love 1

In my country our summer "camp" usually runs like a regular school in terms of hours per day (7-4pm), we go home every day and it comes in session and every session lasts about a 3-ish week. I think the last time I went was when I was like 11 or something like that. Then for the rest of the summer I would pretty much just stay home all day & watch TV, go to the mall, maybe hang around the neighborhood, And once we got our computer I would pretty much just sit on the computer all the time.

With that being said, alternative camps (similar to the overnight stay that United Staters do) also exist but they tend to be far more expensive and even shorter in time.

Than there are the oversea camps- which are usually like language camps i think, these are super duper expensive, it's really like a long trip in a foreign country learning the language and culture- from what I remember.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1

There's a lot to be said for all the summers that I had nothing to do but ride my bike for hours around the neighborhood. Back when I actually used my degree (Child Development,) we talked a lot about some of the skills kids learned when they were left alone without supervision for the summer - e.g. directional skills, conflict resolution, negotiating, etc.

My BFF claims I had a fifties childhood in the eighties since my brother (who is a year older)  and I from third grade through seventh pretty much ran free to do what we liked during the summer unsupervised til 5 pm, thought there always seems like there was something going on.  (Our next door neighbor - who I was usually playing with - her  mom was always home, we were in a ridiculously safe neighborhood and mom or dad often stopped by around lunch or called - but at the time I thought no one was watching us)

We did do a lot of biking and playing in the yard with the hose and there was a creek a dozen blocks away when we could get dropped off with a canoe or a raft and there was a part time kind of day camp thing centered around the local parks we went to for a few years but the biggest focus of our summers was the pool. 

We were signed up for swimming lessons almost all summer long.  Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from pre-kindergarten to the summer after seventh grade we got up, grabbed breakfast and went down to the bus stop that picked up the kids in the area and took us to the big Olympic size municipal pool.  I remember sometimes 10 buses from around the city waiting to drop kids off. 

I also well remember doing jumping jacks in the water desperately trying to get warm in those early hours (outdoor pool) and then shivering madly with that wet towel hung around my neck wearing only shorts over my wet suit and flip flops as we returned back to the busses and went home.  Then we killed time for maybe a couple hours, got lunch and then more often than not, headed back to the same pool, waiting at the gates for it to open up and not coming home until dinner time. 

All those swimming lessons paid off and by the time I was 11-12 my brother and I mixed things up and went to the creek on our own.  We'd leave the inner tubes or canoes or rafts or life jackets home and just grab our old kiddie bikes (cause the ones with gears were too good) and floated down the creek on them, dumping the bikes in the deep drop off to just swim and play and then diving down for them when it was time to keep going. 

Kids have no idea how good they have it.  :D

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

So Blindspot is not improving which made it getting a second season already surprising.  Main guy lead STILL does a bad Batman imitation barking out his lines.  PAINFUL. 

The Player which was nothing exciting but kind of fun is a lot less fun.  When it's gone I won't care even if I do still watch it - though only when I want something on that I don't worry about paying attention to.   Heroes Reborn though has gotten interesting, which really surprised me.  I still love Crazy Ex Girlfriend but the ratings are scary low.  :( 

Happily, so were the ratings for Wicked City which I hate on principal alone.  I hear Limitless is still good but I've only gotten around to watching a couple episodes.  I'm enjoying Supergirl but I'm concerned that it's being nitpicked to death while it establishes it's self.  So much set up needed to explain what's going on and why Superman doesn't just always save the day instead.  Still watching Quantico but getting tired of the formula. 

Anyone have any other observations on the ongoing new shows?

• Love 1

I'm still watching --

Quantico: boring.

Blindspot: super boring omg zzzzzzyawn.

The Player: started out liking it, but became bored by ep 4 or 5. And now it's as good as dead anyway.

Supergirl: I *love* Kara. Don't really care for any other character. Wish they'd stop taking about Clark every 15 seconds.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: I'm surprised at how much I'm digging it.

Limitless: favorite new show, loving it a whole lot. The Ferris Bueller episode might just be my favorite ep of the year.

• Love 1

I'm liking Heroes Reborn right now... It still feels a little wonky at points, not sure what the future holds for it, but it was supposed to always be a limited series - so it might just stay that way. There systemically killing off all the people from the original series, so they aren't really trying to hold onto that core audience. Not sure if they are building a new audience.

Quantico needs to up its story telling soon its hitting a plateau even by soap opera standards, but I think it is doing just fine in the ratings for ABC. I think Blood & Oil is dead.

Supergirl is good and I think it should hold itself for at least one more season.

I don't really watch any other new shows... Although I keep hearing great things about Limitless. Gonna turn into Chicago Med, I hope it is decent. I tried the Grinder and Granfathered, but its not worth it to tune into them on-demand, they're too short & I forget when they are live.

Just binged Master of None on Netflix and that was amazing.

I feel like a lot of my shows are dying after this season, so it should be interesting next year when I need to replace them.

Edited by kismet

New shows:

Blindspot - I'm kinda bored with. I haven't watched the last two episodes. I haven't officially dropped it yet, but it's not really holding my attention.

Supergirl - I like it but don't love it. There's just a few too many things about it that don't quite work for me. I like Kara but I'm not sure I really care about any of the other characters.

The Player - I'm still loving it. Too bad there's only one episode left. :(

I think that's it for me for new shows.

The Grinder!  I forgot about this but I actually find if very funny.  It's not like most sit-coms.  It's almost a parody with how much everyone but Fred Savage is infatuated with Rob Lowe's character but all the over the top stuff is done so pleasantly.  Both Lowe and Savage are wonderful and so are the supporting characters.  It's worth watching.

I also am really enjoying The Muppets.  It's the Office with felt.  I HATED the Office and yet for some reason I love The Muppets. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Hey James Bamford, Into the Badlands just did a nightime (in the rain, even) swordfight that didn't look like two indistinguishable 80-year-old dudes with arthritis fighting in molasses!  See, it IS possible!

That dude is such an ahole.

• Love 1

I like the Grinder and Grandfathered.

I enjoy Blindspot a lot. It's great, and I think it has the potential to be awesome. I hope it won't let it pass.

But the one that took me by surprise is Code Black. The cast is truly great, I at least like or love all the characters (especially Raza Jaffrey's and not only because he's Tall, Dark, Handsome and British) and I find the stories compelling. Episode 5 sealed the deal, it's my favorite new show. 

Not to be the bearer of bad news~ I actually heard that Code Black is not doing as well as CBS might have thought and it might be on the watch list. :(

That being said most people who watch it absolutely love it and say its the best hospital show since ER. So hopefully the quality of the show will get it over any disappointment in the ratings. It might just need time to develop an audience.

• Love 1

Not to be the bearer of bad news~ I actually heard that Code Black is not doing as well as CBS might have thought and it might be on the watch list. :(

I know...it actually gets as much, or more viewers than CPD but the demo isn't good enough -though far from being terrible. And there is zero promo, it's infuriating.

I enjoy it while I can, and hope the rating improves/that it somehow survives.

New Shows

Blindspot: I wanted to like this show. However it's become a paint by numbers procedural cop show with a block of wood for the leading man. They have an interesting story to tell but that's the not the story they are telling. I might be done with it. 

Grinder/Grandfathered: I watched the pilot for both and enjoyed them, then forgot they were on and am not interested enough to remember.

Supergirl: It's really cheesy and reminds me of tv in the 90's. I can't find anything to hate about it. I'll probably continue watching it. 

Quantico: I gave up in the middle of the first episode. It didn't hold my interest. 

This has been a very disappointing tv season. While I enjoy some of the shows I wouldn't be upset if they got cancelled. This also makes me upset that the shows I did fall in love last season were canceled for what we have now. I'd take Forever over Blindspot any day. That was also a typical cop show but the leads were interesting and they actually used their twist in interesting ways and it was really the characters that made that show great.

I was reading an article about how network and cable shows are worried about Netflix, Hulu and Amazon taking away their viewers. They should be worried because they are actually putting out interesting and entertaining shows. 

Netflix

Daredevil: I know not everyone liked this show, but towards the end I started to love it. For me it's the characters and the fact that I was surprised at some turn of events. 

Frankie and Grace: A brilliantly hilarious show, I recommend everyone watch it. 

Orange is the New Black: It has it's ups and downs but it managed to change my mind on a few characters and so I'm still enjoying it. 

Jessica Jones: This is one my most anticipated new shows. 

I'm also going to check out "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon.

Edited by Sakura12

I was looking forward to Jessica Jones, but some of the things I've read about it recently make me think it's going to be a much darker show than I'd anticipated. So now I'm thinking probably not. I never could get into Daredevil, and if JJ is going to be darker than that (and I'm not talking lack of light) I'm thinking it's probably not for me.

• Love 2

I knew JJ comic book is pretty dark, but I was assured it avoids some of my personal triggers (but still, very dark). So I'm going to watch it 100%.

Limitless is loads of fun, in fact, I never expected this show to become that hilarious, and I really didn't expect to like the lead guy so much. I definitely recommend this show to anyone. Some of the jokes they make are priceless. It's actually funnier than some (if not most) of proper comedies.

I had to drop Blindspot a few weeks ago because BORING. Such a waste of an intriguing concept and of the lead actress.

Supergirl is fun and I'm definitely interested. Nothing special but better than Flarrow at the moment, imho. (Although The Flash has improved for me compared to last year, and Arrow, aside from Laurel and the flashbacks is quite watchable).

If I'm prepared for it to be dark then I'm okay with it. They haven't hid the fact that it's a dark story. From what I read about Jessica Jones that is her main story. I also kind of like the hero that has been broken down but still fights the good fight while battling their own demons. I feel like Jessica is going to be like Sara only being on Netflix they are going to be able to really explore what happened and what it did to her. 

I knew absolutely nothing about Jessica Jones - never read the comics. All I was thinking was "female superhero show - yay!" But yeah, the more I've read, the more I've gone....."eh, yeah, this probably isn't for me." I try to avoid dark and twisty as much as possible. :(

• Love 1

I get it, not everyone likes dark stories. And Jessica Jones story is darker than Daredevil. That's what makes her interesting to me but I can see how it turn others away. 

Plus it has Trinity and the Tenth Doctor! I can't pass up seeing David Tennant playing evil. 

The second hour of OUaT last night was pointless.  I hate the Brave stuff, it's soooooooo boring.  

Don't know if anyone is watching The Last Kingdom (I'm three episodes behind, so no spoilers), but I'm really enjoying it so far, and I'm usually not into stuff like that.  Plus, the main guy (Uhtred) is not so bad to look at!

Agent X is okay so far.  I guess Jeff Hephner's 40 now, but it was crazy to see how gray he's become.  I think he's one of those guys that look better with age, mmm hmm.  

The second hour of OUaT last night was pointless. I hate the Brave stuff,

It was so random, after the previous episode! But I really like the actress playing Merida. Ruby appears and disappears whenever they feel like it. :/
  • Love 1

I stopped watching OUAT a few weeks ago and I don't really miss it (well, I miss Hook). So I guess I am done with it.

Sadly one my favorite new show this season just got canceled on Friday "Wicked City" :-(

Other than that I look forward to Jessica Jones and The Man in the High Castle (I loved the first two episodes!)

Edited by foreverevolving

I loved that they brought David Anders back to OUAT and then made a jab at his new hair dye job... It's moments like that that I remember why I used to love OUAT. And why I love David Anders :)

I have no idea what they are doing this season. It's all plotty plot for plot. And frankly, I'm tired of hearing about Emma's dark side. Also Brave just seems like a weird addition to the show. I really wish the show would get back to what made it great. Maybe their rumored trip to the underworld can resurrect the show back to greatness.

• Love 1

I was very messed up off cold medicine when I watched it, so not everything made sense. But that's what I expect with Once. Though I did enjoy Mulan, Red and Dr. Whale acting more like a zombie than a doctor who makes them.

I just heard that Texas is refusing to take any Syrian refugess. Where are those good people, SA?

That being said most people who watch it absolutely love it and say its the best hospital show since ER. So hopefully the quality of the show will get it over any disappointment in the ratings. It might just need time to develop an audience.

I tried it and lasted about 10 minutes till the medical mistakes lost me.  ER did some ridiculous things (I hated Love's Labor's Lost) but at least they got the medicine right most of the time.  Remedy did will for the first season and then went stupid.  Beyond that, medical shows are only to willing to trade common sense for dramatics.   I assume lawyers feel the same way about legal shows.  Strangely, the best psychiatrist I've ever seen on TV was Marlena on Days of Our Lives but that was way back in the Eugene period.

It's been a pretty bad season for new shows for me.  I gave up on Quantico and Blindspot.  And Castle is tanking badly.  I'm actually looking forward to Supergirl although it's only 3 episodes in.  It's silly but fun.

OUaT seems to be running out of fairy tales but I like Zerlina's snark and Dark Emma.  At least you can see how much fun both actresses are having with their roles.  Instead of color-blind casting,like making Merlin black and Guinevere Spanish (I don't know which is more historically incorrect), I wish they would start going to other countries for stories like Anansi or Raven the Trickster.

I did appreciate that ER tried to get the medicine right. I know that is was important to them and they had real healthcare consultants. A lot of the extras they said were actual real life healthcare professionals, so that I think helped. And at least they got the cast correct and focused stories beyond just the doctors. They had a hospital filled with doctors, nurses, administrators, techs/aides, secretaries and other health professionals. Some of these newer health shows only have doctors. There is no hospital in the world that has that many doctors doing those tasks you see them do on most these modern shows.

On another note for people that enjoyed Covert Affairs, I think that Quantico has cast Oded Fehr (Eyal on CA) to do something mysterious on the show. It hasn't made IMDB, but I paused my recording after hearing that voice (I loved his voice) and that face looks just like him. He was so charismatic on that show, I hope its him & I hope its a well written role.

Strangely, the best psychiatrist I've ever seen on TV was Marlena on Days of Our Lives but that was way back in the Eugene period.

Eugene! My never ending love for Q totally stems from my Eugene. LOL

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

On another note for people that enjoyed Covert Affairs, I think that Quantico has cast Oded Fehr (Eyal on CA) to do something mysterious on the show. It hasn't made IMDB, but I paused my recording after hearing that voice (I loved his voice) and that face looks just like him. He was so charismatic on that show, I hope its him & I hope its a well written role.

Ever since I saw him on The Mummy, I have always liked Oded Fehr. He was the one I was hoping would've gotten cast as Ra's al Ghul and he would've totally been fantastic, tool! Will forever be bitter about that terrible casting. Damn it, Rapaport! However, if Rick Cosnett couldn't pull me in, not even Oded can make me watch Quantico.

• Love 2

I just catch Rick on tumblr gifs these days.

I actually watched Quantico last night, it's not bad or even boring. I'm actually not sure why I don't feel the need to tune in every week. It even has Josh Hopkins who I love and I'm still meh on it.

I'm going to be on the local news tomorrow because, after my mother died in a car crash in my car, the cops couldn't take two minutes out of their day (despite acknowledging that they SHOULD, and that they had AGREED TO) let me know their investigative hold was off the vehicle, so I could get my stuff out of it, and my dead mother's stuff.  I finally found out where my car is, and my stuff is covered in mold, which NO ONE COULD HAVE ANTICIPATED FROM A RAINY FALL AND A CAR SO DESTROYED IT HAD NO WINDOWS, and my mother's purse, keys to my home plus address, and wallet...all gone.  Disappeared into atmosphere, peekaboo, because I know the magic word-y.   So if I disappear from this forum, make sure my remaining family sues, because it's this county's fault that some criminal has keys to my home and also has my home address.

I think that song is from Disney's version of Mickey and the Giant.  Also, never move to a rural red county if you are not a rural red county girl.

Edited by AyChihuahua

@AyChihuahua Is it weird that i'm super angry for you? Because WOW. That so fucking SUCKS and maddening as hell. I'm sorry for everything that's happening and the incompetence of the police. 

I hope everything gets resolved for you and I'm so sorry for your loss. 

• Love 5

I loved that they brought David Anders back to OUAT and then made a jab at his new hair dye job... It's moments like that that I remember why I used to love OUAT. And why I love David Anders :)

I have no idea what they are doing this season. It's all plotty plot for plot. And frankly, I'm tired of hearing about Emma's dark side. Also Brave just seems like a weird addition to the show. I really wish the show would get back to what made it great. Maybe their rumored trip to the underworld can resurrect the show back to greatness.

The backhanded shout out to his other show was priceless.  "Nobody mentions Emma's hair"  Ha!

I really like Merida but each and every time she's been on, it's felt like she has really nothing to do with the actual plot.  I guess I'm fine with that since I'm not really caring about the actual plot. 

• Love 2

I'm sorry for your loss AyChihuahua. I lost my Mom this year too.  I can't imagine how awful that combined with the other shenanigans has been for you :( . 

I'm really enjoying Supergirl and Crazy Ex Girlfriend which is nothing like the title implies.

• Love 3

The backhanded shout out to his other show was priceless. "Nobody mentions Emma's hair" Ha!

I really like Merida but each and every time she's been on, it's felt like she has really nothing to do with the actual plot. I guess I'm fine with that since I'm not really caring about the actual plot.

I actually love episodes where the main plot isn't dealt with. Those sometimes are the best. Like Buffy, Lost, XFiles all had those and they were great.

I'm so sorry about your mom, @AyChihuahua. I can't even imagine having to deal with all of that while mourning the loss of your mother. I hope the press does get wind of your situation and gives your local PD a giant public slap upside the head on your behalf.

• Love 3

Agent Carter is returning on Tuesday, Nov. 5th (source)!

Also, if you're interested, the sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman is called The Huntsman: Winter's War and will be released April 22, 2016.  It stars Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth (but not Kristen Stewart) and is directed by Cedric Nicolas-Troyan (not Rupert Sanders).  It also stars Emily Blunt (as Freya, the Ice Queen) and Jessica Chastain (as Sara, the warrior).  Honestly, it looks good (go to link for character posters)...

What if 'Frozen' were a metal band? It would be 'Huntsman: Winter's War'

By Tracy Brown  November 16, 2015
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-huntsman-posters-charlize-theron-emily-blunt-20151116-story.html

The basic premise of "The Huntsman" is that long before the events of the first film, Ravenna's sister Freya fled their kingdom following a heartbreaking betrayal, only to spend decades in a sort of winter palace raising an army of deadly huntsmen. Eric and Sara were a part of her warrior army who defied her only demand: no falling in love.

Also, Freya has the ability to freeze any enemies.

When Freya learns of her sister's demise and seeks to claim the Magic Mirror, she discovers that Ravenna can be resurrected. Together the sisters amass an undefeatable force of darkness, the likes of which the enchanted land has never seen. Undefeatable except by those defiant huntsmen. Because love really is the only thing that can ruin evil plans.

Edited by tv echo