Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

There's been some talk of an Arrow musical episode in another thread, and I have to say that there are three types of episodes that I absolutely despise:  1.)  Musical episodes.  I hate them sooo much.  2.)  Alternate universe type of episodes.  Why would I want to waste an hour watching show developments that aren't real, never happened, and are never going to happen?  3.)  Those "very special" type of episodes where the cast are playing completely different characters (often from a different time period as well).  JAG did an episode like this where Harm was a wounded Marine and Mac was a WWII Navy nurse.  

With all of this talk of crossovers, I was thinking about Chicago Fire and how they love to do crossovers.  Then I tune in to this week's Chicago Fire, and what do I see?  A freaking backdoor pilot for Chicago Med (which they already tried to launch once before, and that failed).  Ugh!  When it was over, I was so happy until I saw a promo for an episode in a few weeks that features what exactly?  You guessed it...a crossover event between Chicago Fire, Chicago PD, and SVU (Sweeps, baby!).  On these forums, I've honestly never seen even one viewer who is happy with all of these NBC crossovers. But, I have seen people who are irritated and think that the existence of the Chicago PD spinoff is a detriment to the mother ship show.   

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Chicago Med pilot was soooo bad.  There's little excuse for a network show not having a medical consultant.  There's zero excuse for not going to the internet to check your facts.

I've been trying to think of a cross-over I liked, and coming up blank except for the two Arrow/Flash ones this season, and I think part of that was because I got the old Arrow show back again for a while.

I thought that they had already tried the Chicago Med thing once, but apparently Dick Wolf doesn't give up so easily.  I actually preferred the actors in the first backdoor pilot.  The Chicago Med doctor (?) this season who has a connection to Severide is a terrible actress, and it worries me that the lady who played Andrea on The Walking Dead will be part of the spinoff since I've only heard negative things about her.  The actress seemed fine, though, so maybe people just hated the character due to how she was written.  I'm worried about PeterMills since they always seem like they are trying to ship him off the show.  I like Charlie Barnett, so I'll be disappointed if he's leaving Chicago Fire and/or moving to the spinoff (since I sure as hell won't be watching that mess).

They really need to put Gabby on there instead.  In the first season, they were teasing her going to med school, and now that she's in an on/off relationship with Casey, they can't both be fire fighters.  It seems it's like the Laurel or Katrina stories, an EP who loves the character too much to do what's best for the character and the show.

I wasn't impressed with any of the cast for the new show except maybe the brother.  They've weaken Epatha Merkerson, I'm not impressed with either of the two other women, and I know Oliver Platt's psychiatrist is going to bug the hell out of me if he's like he was in this episode.

It's funny, CCH Pounder and her team on NCIA:NO did a much more realistic medical show on Tuesday than the Chicago Med pilot.

Edited by statsgirl

Regarding musical, AU and different time period episodes - I think it depends on how well (or badly) it's done, although I think these devices must be used sparingly.

Buffy's "Once More With Feeling" musical episode really worked because the singing & dancing were organic to the plot - people were under a spell.  Moreover, the singing forced the characters to reveal hidden truths and feelings, and moved the overall plot along.

I also liked Castle's "Blue Butterfly" episode where the actors played historical characters.  The historical mystery carried into and helped solve a present day mystery.

Alternate universe episodes are more iffy - I see them occur mostly on sci-fi shows where they sometimes affect the original universe.  I liked Fringe, which had alternate universes.

Time travel is interesting because it raises mind-boggling questions.  The Terminator is a perfect example.  I'm also watching and enjoying 12 Monkeys.  It'll be interesting to see what The Flash does with its time travel development.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I honestly don't watch enough shows that have crossover potential. I tend to like my tv universes to stay separate. I also find that it leads to frustrating continuity & timing problems like we're having with Flash & Arrow now. So I hope the network fixes that issue, esp moving forward with a "floater" character & the spin-off.

The musical numbers in shows need to written well and they need to be organic to the plot. I also think they have to make sense to a certain degree. A singing Grey's Anatomy just seems out of place. What would make an entire hospital sing? But shows like Flash or Arrow can introduce a villian or something not real life that then influences people to sing. I've heard of villians from comics that put stuff in water and such that causes singing. So it can be organic. I do know that MG has some experience writing musical numbers into his shows. He had a couple in Eli Stone that were actually very good IMO. So I think there is potential.

Stories where actors play characters of other historical time periods can be fun. I can't think of any that I have really hated. But then again, it all depends on how they are written. Castle is a very well written show, so that episode worked. BATB did one and it helped to inform some of the history/mythology of the show so that worked. Again its how you are using the episode.

AU & time travel are hit or miss. AU works for me if the person is having a dream or is in a coma state, because it generally is being used a method to inform the character/audience of something which can be good. Otherwise AU can get very confusing to watch. Honestly, I've only ever seen time travel work in movies, because there does not need to be any continuity. It also works if the whole show's premise is time travel like quantum leap, but that is something the audience signs up for from the beginning.

Crossovers: Are okay if they are used sparingly. I did like when Oliver, Felicity and Diggle showed up on The Flash, I still like those character despite no longer watching Arrow. So seeing them on show I do watch was fun. I liked some of the crossover episodes on Buffy and Angel. 

AU: The only AU I liked was on Fringe, but their AU became part of the show and wasn't a one off thing. However I did not like their AU musical episode. I found Castle's AU episode kind of pointless. 

Musicals: Scrubs musical episode worked because that whole show was whimsical anyway. Grey's Anatomy made absolutely no sense. Buffy's worked because it was a spell and it did move the plot along by having the character sing their feelings. 

• Love 1

I liked the Scrubs musical and the That 70s Show one. The BTVS one was ok...except they just let the demon get away (and that instead of Xander, Willow and Giles being there for Buffy it was Dawn and....Spike)

I hate Spike

• Love 2

I loved the Buffy musical, and the Community one too. Not just because there was a specific storyline reason for the singing, but also because the songs were good. Other shows have tried and failed, and I do wish it hadn't become a Thing that shows try to do.

That Castle episode set in the 40s was tragically lame, like so much of Castle after season 2. I felt nothing but aggravated that I'd wasted an hour watching the actors goof off and pretend to be in some badly written film noir.

Time travel is interesting because it raises mind-boggling questions.  The Terminator is a perfect example.  I'm also watching and enjoying 12 Monkeys.  It'll be interesting to see what The Flash does with its time travel development.

I like shows that are specifically centred around time travel, and The Sarah Connor Chronicles is one of my absolute favourites. But I am very dubious about shows that use the concept as a way of undoing things, or teasing viewers with things that they're not going to give up honestly. And I feel like The Flash is very much going to be of the latter sort.

I didn't like Community musical, it wasn't offensively bad, but rather meh (and I do love the show... except when they try to ship tease Annie/Jeff which is one of my top NoTPs ever). I'm not a huge fan of Scrubs, their musical was rather forgettable. Fringe's was a joke and not much of a musical, even if it was marketed as one. I've already said it, but nothing I've seen comes close to OMWF (even despite Xander's absolutely OOC actions).

I loved the Taming of the Shrew and Noir AU's of Moonlighting, I loved Community and Cougar Towns low key cameo crossovers, and Mulder and Scully in Triangle was sort of a time travel AU, I loved it in spite of assiomio Carter cloaking the kiss in darkness.

I think it just depends on the show Arrow would be weird, it just doesn't tonally fit in, where as Flash it fits both the tone, and the premise in that I could see some crazy metahuman making everyone sing.

• Love 1

I think the only crossovers I saw that worked were the ones between the Stargate franchises and that was more one character at a time visiting but they were like the Flash is to Arrow, the show and some of the character originated in the one and moved to the other.  They fit in the same universe.  Less so in Stargate Universe but I still was happy (overjoyed) to see familiar faces show up.  Though in the case of SGU, having the IMO more charismatic actors from SG-1 show up, made their SGU people look like boring hacks.   (This sad by someone who was sad with SGU didn't get picked up for another season)  When Jack or Daniel showed up I literally felt a knot of tension ease from between my shoulders.

The only singing episodes I remember were the Buffy one which I thought totally worked and a cartoon one from Batman The Brave and the Bold where the Music Meister made everyone sing (Batman wore earplugs so he got around this problem with his dignity intact)   Some AU episodes I hated with a passion.   There was one on Smallville where Clark played a his father Jor-El who apparently was visiting Smallville for kicks in the 1950's and falls in lust with Lana's Aunt (great aunt?) who also just happened to look just like Lana (and is married) only someone kills her and the "drifter" was accused of her murder.  It was icky on a number of levels.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the two AU's Bones has done.  The first one is usually reviled among fans since the show runners made promises about that episode NOT being a dream only for it to a coma induced hallucination guided by the story Bones was making up.   Yup, lying liars who lie, but I was expecting that so I had fun seeing the characters basically act out what was basically an AU fanfiction.   AU's like that don't really further the plot but they are a fun diversion.    

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

So anyone watched American Odyssey?  That's the NBC show on Sundays that Allison Mack is scheduled to have an upcoming arc on. 

I watched the first episode so I'd know what was going on when she shows up and I'm glad I did.   It was well written and acted (and boy did they have money for locations shots - envious on Arrow's behalf) and compelling.   You have to be a fan of conspiracy theory driven shows and there was a lot going on but they quickly got me interested in (and worried about) a number of characters.  

AM doesn't show up until episode 7 but it's compelling on it's own merits.  Right now the main character - a female solder left for dead after someone inside the government instigated a cover up - is trying to pass as a man as she travels across the desert in a caravan.   Meanwhile back home rumors of her being alive are dismissed as propaganda and the people that are stumbling onto at least the fringes of the truth are being threatened or killed or just made to vanish.  It's different than anything else I'm watching.  I like it.    

I'm hoping to check out American Odyssey soon. It looks very interesting, and yeah, not something you usually see on one of the big networks. This is a limited series, right? I like the female lead, Anna Friel, who was the girl in "Pushing Daisies."

Daredevil is out today, right?

Just watched the first episode and I am hooked! So, so good. I feel like calling up the EP's and writers over at Arrow and saying, "Here's how you do a superhero show. You bunch of chuckleheads…"

a cartoon one from Batman The Brave and the Bold where the Music Meister made everyone sing (Batman wore earplugs so he got around this problem with his dignity intact)  

That's my thought, if a musical episode is ever to happen on Arrow or Flash the best way to do it is by using Music Meister- bonus points if he's played by NPH (who to my understanding was the one who voiced him)

• Love 2

What Carrie Ann said.  Also, Lance Henriksen just showed up, and I have been weirdly in love with him for years.  It's really, really violent, but the fight scenes are pretty awesome.  I was worried they weren't going to make DD badass enough...I want a superhero's fight skills when I watch a superhero show...but he's pretty badass.

That's my thought, if a musical episode is ever to happen on Arrow or Flash the best way to do it is by using Music Meister- bonus points if he's played by NPH (who to my understanding was the one who voiced him)

Perfect casting suggestion!! Love NPH and he plays singing villain so well. Just look at Dr. Horrible. Of course the question is could they afford him? And would he be available? Jesse L. Martin & him are both part of the RENT family, so he might have some connection or pull to try to convince him to guest on CW show.

• Love 1

New SyFy series, Dark Matter - trailer and cast pic...

DARK MATTER: EXCLUSIVE TRAILER FOR SYFY'S NEW SERIES
An entire crew with no memory of who they are.
BY: ERIC GOLDMAN   APRIL 10, 2015
http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/04/10/dark-matter-exclusive-trailer-for-syfys-new-series

The above article link was tweeted by Jamie Bamford...

James Bamford @JamesBamford  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Check out what my buddies made!   http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/10/dark-matter-exclusive-trailer-for-syfys-new-series

https://twitter.com/JamesBamford/status/586805999958261760

Edited by tv echo

I've been trying to watch Daredevil but it's so dark. I can barely see what's happening. Is anyone else having this problem?

It was very dark to me too. I kept thinking, they hired the same lighting designer as The X Files!

Does something happen there that was not in the books? I had to drop GoT last year after the rape debacle, but now I've read an interview with NCW where he basically admitted they've fucked up the filming and didn't actually make Jaime a rapist, so I may return to viewing, especially because I'm sick of waiting for GRRM to finish the next book.

The interviews I've read have said some of the stories are being changed from the books this season because GRRM hasn't finished the next book. 

Edited by Sakura12

The first 4 episodes leaked, I'm staying as far away from GOT boards and most general board...you know some idiot is going to spoil it

Me too. This sort of shit just spoils the fun, and I kind of hate people who do it. I've already unwittingly seen a couple of stills from episodes that give away some minor bits and pieces, but I'd much rather experience the show properly, and talk about it with people. Not that I'm as much of a GoT zealot as most people seem to be. I'm very aware of the shortcomings of both the books and the show. It's still good TV though. And yes, they're moving away from the books now, because they pretty much have to (some of the storylines have already caught up with GRRM).

Daredevil is good TV too. Watched the first two episodes so far, and I like just about everything about it. The cast is very good, the tone is dark without being miserable and dour (watch and learn, Arrow writers) and it's unashamedly adult in tone. In fact, it's the sort of show that Arrow might want to try becoming when it grows up.

• Love 1

The interviews I've read have said some of the stories are being changed from the books this season because GRRM hasn't finished the next book. 

Is anyone really surprised by that? GRRM has a track terrible record for getting the books out. I'm happy enough to finish up with the series on screen because some of the Character POV's in the books are so hard to get through anyway.

ETA: Also Agree about DareDevil, seen up to episode 3. It's easy to compare to Arrow, with how much it get right form my POV so far, but Arrow S1 was just as big a departure from Smallville as DareDevil seem to be from Agents of Shield (And other comic book properties like Arrow on screen now). 

Edited by Genki

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think Daredevil's all that great? It's not terrible or anything, but I'm not super invested and I don't feel the need to immediately watch the next episode. The fight scenes are great, from what I can see of them.

According to GRRM, HBO is both going ahead of books four and five (which have already been published) and the material he's written for book six, and making some changes to upcoming plots/storylines. Quite a lot of this is, as in all television adaptations, purely for production reasons.   Some of it is just streamling stories/characters, and some things are actual changes the producers wanted to make for whatever reason.

Daredevil is a good time. I`m on episode 6, and I adore it. No weak links in the cast, great cinematography, it reminds me of a darker version of Arrow in its glory days!

Must...not...look....at....GoT.....spoilers....

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think Daredevil's all that great? It's not terrible or anything, but I'm not super invested and I don't feel the need to immediately watch the next episode. The fight scenes are great, from what I can see of them.

You're not alone. Much like The Flash, I think it's a good show but I can't seem to connect with any of the characters. So, I'm not really invested in any of the outcomes/resolutions.

Edited by GirlvsTV

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not really trying to compare The Flash and Daredevil as shows, just my reaction to them which I feel was sort of similar. Mainly because I didn't really come away from either show feeling attached to any of the characters.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not really trying to compare The Flash and Daredevil as shows, just my reaction to them which I feel was sort of similar. Mainly because I didn't really come away from either show feeling attached to any of the characters.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it too, and I also would liken it to how I feel about The Flash. I like everyone I should like, but I don't really care about any of them. 

And, truthfully, find both shows kind of boring, haha. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

The trailer to Terminator Genisys is out (still can't look at this title without laughing):

It's absolutely bonkers. Who do you think is the Big Bad? If you've guessed Skynet, you've guessed wrong. To quote io9, 

Surprise! John Connor, the savior of humanity, is actually the bad guy in this new movie. I know this because the trailer tells us this, and a whole lot more. From the first few seconds of the new Terminator: Genisys trailer you know that things are screwy. For starters, Kyle Reese is seen going back in time to 1982 (as was done in the original Terminator movie) but things are different; Sarah Connor is aware of his mission and is the now adopted daughter to the Terminator (it's weird, I know). The next scene shows a seemingly 1984 Sarah Connor talking to a not-yet-teenaged 1994 John Connor, which means they time travel forward a few years. But wait, there's more! Flash-forward again and we're met with a well-suited (but still scarred) John Connor who is actually (wait for it....) A NEW TERMINATOR.

I have a sort of random quesiton... Do you guys act differently on different sites? I do. 

For example: I tend to be more thoughtful on this site. I use tumblr to rant/vent/fangirl because it's a good outlet for that. On spoilertv I'm more mellow with my commenets....

I just noticed I do this and it's kind of weird :p 

I'm a bit more aggressive over on KSite but usually because all I do over there is argue at length about Laurel problems, but I still try to stick to the rules I follow here.  I'm just more like a bulldog that won't let go and yeah, they are soooo lax over there that my sarcasm is a lot more pointed and I tend to repeat myself more and occasionally point out when other posters aren't following the rules rather than pull in a moderator.  Lately I haven't gone over there since my issues with the show haven't centered on the Laurel problem.  

Tumblr I mostly read and occasionally do likes though I've left a couple pointed (though civil) messages for MG.  Twitter mostly just follow and like comments.  I don't engage.  Honestly, I spend so much time here I don't have time to devote to commenting elsewhere.  

Not exactly a fandom thing, but if I ever leave a comment for National Public Radio I do my best to make sure all my grammar, punctuation and of course spelling is perfect (and hope that I sound reasonably intelligent)  I try to have good grammar all the time but I find myself worrying over it on NPR.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I have a sort of random quesiton... Do you guys act differently on different sites? I do. 

For example: I tend to be more thoughtful on this site. I use tumblr to rant/vent/fangirl because it's a good outlet for that. On spoilertv I'm more mellow with my commenets....

I just noticed I do this and it's kind of weird :p 

I do. I participate on a baseball and basketball blog and the rules of decorum are different. The personalities are different that I interact with. I don't think it's weird. To me it's just like RL.  You have different personas with different people.

• Love 1