Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

SonofaBiscuit

Wick lives

It's funny for me because the actor who plays Wick played a creepy (well I guess normal in Rosewood) guy on PLL. I didn't like him on that show, but I like Wick. 

I find him bland on Hindsight...but so hot as Wick.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can play Pac Man on Google Maps right now. If you go to Google Maps (in Chrome, not sure if it works on other browsers), at the bottom left is an Earth view and a Pac Man view. Pick an address, click on Pac Man, see your day waste away.

• Love 2

I YT watched some Chloe and Oliver moments. God it was painful. The dialogue was atrocious. The directing was rough. The jokes were weak. The actors were good-looking, but Chloe lost me when Oliver asked if she was tracking their emails. His "the emails to Canary were platonic" sucked. Her superiority didn't give me much sympathy for the character. There was another scene where she smugly sat schooling Oliver in her awesomeness. I guess because I had no prior fondness for the character I had no patience for it. I hadn't witnessed her earning her right to be a know-it-all with him.

Smallville might not have relied on Comic canon, but it's attempts at wink-wink-nudge were painful for my poor eyeballs. All that rolling was too much without warming up.

Edited by AnalyzeAndCritique
(edited)

I YT some Chloe and Oliver moments. God it was painful. The dialogue was atrocious. The directing was rough. The jokes were weak. The actors were good-looking, but Chloe lost me when Oliver asked if she was tracking their emails. His "the emails to Canary were platonic" sucked. Her superiority didn't give me much sympathy for the character.

Smallville might not have relied on Comic canon, but it's attempts at wink-wink-nudge were painful for my poor eyeballs. All that rolling was too much without warning up.

Smallville has enough issues that only knowing it through YouTube clips would be misleading IMO. And make it even worse than it could be. You definitely need more background to understand the emails and why those light, cheesy moments were kind of a big deal. (Felicity has had a rough year but Chloe had been coming off a ROUGH year) Oh and they (Oliver and Chloe) weren't dating -at all- when the platonic emails came up.

And Chloe earned any looks of amused superiority IMO. Especially with Oliver. She was far kinder to him, to any of them, then they deserved.

Edited by BkWurm1

Yeah, Smallville dialog is something else. Getting used to that level of comic-y pun-y lines at all times was the hardest part of my catching up. But I did warm up to the characters quickly enough to overlook the super terribad lines.

And really, the email thing is the least of the things that would otherwise ping my worries. Hee. In S8, Oliver murdered someone in cold blood, Chloe murdered someone while under an alien entity's influence. They each found out about the other, ~had a little talk~, and decided to keep each other's murdering secrets.

Then there was the time Chloe embezzled 35 million dollars from his company to build a stockpile of kryptonite weapons [cue: laughter]. And when Oliver found out, he was mad she was going behind his back instead of, you know, SHE STOLE 35 MILLION DOLLARS FROM HIM. And then the very next week they went on a romantic getaway, and Chloe freaked the fuck out because he bought her a decorative little spoon as a gift.

And then he bought her a satellite, and named it after. And then he built a base on the moon, and named it after her again.

It's all completely ridiculous, and anyone saying it isn't is fooling themselves. I love them forever, but I'm perfectly aware it required me to decide to embrace the ridiculousness.

Then there was the time Chloe embezzled 35 million dollars from his company to build a stockpile of kryptonite weapons [cue: laughter]. And when Oliver found out, he was mad she was going behind his back instead of, you know, SHE STOLE 35 MILLION DOLLARS FROM HIM.

She was just borrowing it. ;)    Then Oliver got testy and hide all her kryptonite weapons.  Of course Clark's reaction was way worse and he even had future knowledge that those specific weapons in another timeline saved the world.  Big dumb alien. 

You know, remembering Smallville is making me think more fondly on what's happening on Arrow. 

Ugh Oliver and Chloe such gross awkward terrible chemistry. ICK. I could barely enjoy the pretty of Justin Hartley and his golden skin and perfect abs after they forced that tired relationship. Still prefer Smallville's take on GA, a much more enjoyabel balance of lightness to darkness. 

With Emerson currently starring in the CBS series Person of Interest, the project had to be pushed back even though the producers came up with the idea several years ago. But with Person of Interest's ratings waning, sources close to the series say its all-but guaranteed fifth season is considered to be the last. Should the series continue to run after that, Emerson's character might be written off the show but it's far too early to speculate on that.

April Fools?

Why you gotta crush me like this? :(

I'm now going through the 5 stages of grief.

You know, remembering Smallville is making me think more fondly on what's happening on Arrow.

To me, the opposite. I'd take the first three years of Smallville to the three years of Arrow any day of the week

Ugh Oliver and Chloe such gross awkward terrible chemistry. ICK. I could barely enjoy the pretty of Justin Hartley and his golden skin and perfect abs after they forced that tired relationship. Still prefer Smallville's take on GA, a much more enjoyabel balance of lightness to darkness. 

Me too. Smallville's Oliver could be dark and do dark things, but he was more in tune with his emotions, more charming/fun and generally more like the Oliver Queen in the comics.

SORRY. Today is the day I hate all of the sites run by revenge-of-the-nerds rejects even more than usual.

Lol no worries :) I actually feel like a fool because I totally forgot what day it was, and then the words 'Ben Linus' made the rest. Had it been some other character my reactions wouldn't have been so extreme, Damn them!

Pitch for Supernatural spin-off: Jo comes back from the dead and teams up with Charlie to road trip across North America fighting urban legends. No demons or angels, just good old fashion ghost hunts.

Someone at The Walking Dead forum posted a hilarious photo recap of that show's recently aired season 5 finale episode ("Conquer") there, so I thought I'd bring it over for some comic relief...

http://imgur.com/a/m1qVG

I love these recaps,. they're so funny.

Pitch for Supernatural spin-off: Jo comes back from the dead and teams up with Charlie to road trip across North America fighting urban legends. No demons or angels, just good old fashion ghost hunts.

I still want my Good Omens Spin-Off, Castiel and Crowly crusing around town, trying to stop the Apocalypse and listening to Queen.

(edited)
I still want my Good Omens Spin-Off, Castiel and Crowly crusing around town, trying to stop the Apocalypse and listening to Queen.

I really wanted to like Good Omens, but I didn't. I'm a huge fan of Pratchett, but Gaiman never spoke to me, I guess this is the reason.

I still want The Watch show, anyway.

P.S. Now that's it's over, I'm binge-watching Glee (casually and skipping the parts I don't care about), and holy shit, if you thought Laurel and Oliver had anti-chemistry, you should see Klaine. Which is actually a popular fandom pairing, I gather. Seriously, I've never seen a couple who looked less interested in each other. Watching them make-out is just creepy.

Edited by FurryFury

I'm thinking about watching the first season of The Blacklist.  Does anyone out there recommend it?  I don't want to waste my time if it sucks!

I'm not sure I can be objective about this.  My James Spader love knows no bounds.  Higher than Stephen Amell.  I LOVE him and he's everything in this.  The female lead, however, drives me nuts.  For some reason they made her wear a wig in S1 and it was terrible.  I had hoped that it was the wig I hated, but I still don't like her.  That said, James Spader is enough for me so I watch!

• Love 2

I tried to watch some episodes of Blacklist a couple times and just could not get into it. I've heard it got better in season 2 but I can't get past season 1. It's not a show for me. 

Halt and Catch Fire starts up again soon. It's a show where the three leads are all different kinds of a-holes but manage to stay compelling and my favorite character kept changing throughout the season. It's a show about the Computer age, it's interesting to see how everything came about since I was a kid in the eighties when everything started coming together. It also has two women characters Donna and Cameron to represent women in the tech business and they are actually better then the men they work for. I"m looking forward to what happens with them in season 2 on May 31st. 

• Love 2

The female lead, however, drives me nuts.  For some reason they made her wear a wig in S1 and it was terrible.  I had hoped that it was the wig I hated, but I still don't like her. 

Haha, I've heard about (and seen) the terrible wig.  I know very little about the show, but I kept hearing about the bad wig all over the place!  I think I'll give it a shot because it has some people I like in it (Harry Lennix, Parminder Nagra, and Diego Klattenhoff).  I don't think that I've seen James Spader in much of anything except Pretty in Pink and the Stargate movie.

I gave Halt & Catch Fire a chance because of Lee Pace, but the three main characters really are assholes!  Gordon started out OK, but then he turned in to such a useless sad sack.  Donna is awesome, though, and I hope she gets a lot of focus in the new season.  I'll probably watch again, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it.    

(edited)

I gave Halt & Catch Fire a chance because of Lee Pace, but the three main characters really are assholes!  Gordon started out OK, but then he turned in to such a useless sad sack.  Donna is awesome, though, and I hope she gets a lot of focus in the new season.  I'll probably watch again, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it.    

I actually really liked Halt & Catch Fire, because that period of the early 1980s felt so well realised, and the pioneers of personal computing are always interesting. The scenes of them decoding and rebuilding a BIOS, or talking about LCD screen technology were fascinating, and took me back to my early days of working with BBC Micros at school and the Atari 520 ST (probably mindblowingly advanced, compared to the Giant) that my dad bought for us. I liked Cameron quite a lot, even though she was pretty much a self-involved asshole. Donna was so much better than her crazy, pathetic husband too. Smarter, wittier and definitely less creepy. Joe felt like they were trying to create an early 80s Don Draper, but I find Lee Pace too cold to pull that off with the same charm. I did like the fact that he seems to be a self-aware sociopath, though.

As for Outlander, I made it through ten minutes of the first episode then turned it off, embarrassed that someone might catch me watching it. 

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Outlander is weird...my sister was so bored when I made her watch it, but now she really likes it.

I think they relied heavily on book fans to get eye balls which worked. First few episodes really dragged an they have given way more to the husband in the 1940 than necessary IMO. I read a few of the books but gave them up, but the show is entertaining and stuff I didn't like about the books may work well on screen, who knows, I liked this sections of the novels and interestingly enough the main couple is together and hot and super popular. Other TV EPs need to take note. 

@SonofaBiscuit Blacklist relies heavily on your liking James Spader. Liz is OK for me but many hate her and the wig. There is a overarching mythology that is a big tease. I'm still entertained by it, but definitely popcorn TV.

Enjoying The Blacklist really does depend on how much a person loves James Spader.  Because I usually find the writing to be mediocre at best, and the supporting characters could be replaced with cardboard cut-outs.  But I really do think Spader is great in it.  Sometimes, I think actors/actress can be credited too much, but in this care, I really feel like he almost single-handily carries the show and makes it watchable.  At times, it is almost interesting to watch, because you can see how he can elevate a scene with just one look.  I just wish they casted an actress that can match him.  I don't know if I really hate Lizzie and I'm not sure I even find Megan Boone to be flat-out awful, but she really feels out of her league, compared to Spader.  Granted, that is a tall order, but there are still a few actresses around her age, I could see faring better.

Halt and Catch Fire was interesting in that I did grow to like it, but it took me a while.  Despite my love for Lee Pace, he might be my least favorite thing, since I felt like he was trying way too hard to be Don Draper, but lacking whatever Jon Hamm brings, that can make Don compelling.  It was also hard to really like a sad-sack like Gordon, and Cameron could be very obnoxious.  But, I thought it turned around slowly.  I think the turning point for me was the episode where they thought their code got wiped.  It knocked some out the smugness out of Cameron, had Joe and Gordon step up more, and it finally brought Donna into the fore-front, which was the right call, because Donna is awesome.  If nothing else, Donna was the reason I'm glad I stuck around.  And, a Donna/Cameron team for S2 is intriguing.

• Love 1

I watch Blacklist on occasion. I love Spader as Red. However, the supporting (FBI) characters amd story are dreadful. If they dropped the whole FBI/Lizzie stuff and just focused on Red traveling the world going after the people on his list it would be a great show.

• Love 1
Peggy and Stan forever!  I wish Weiner would end the series with those two together, but I don't think it's going to happen :(

Romantically? PRobably not.

My dream ending has always been Peggy and Pete starting their own agency or becoming the two top dogs in the current one. 

Romantically? Probably not.

My dream ending has always been Peggy and Pete starting their own agency or becoming the two top dogs in the current one.

I can see how you got there, and there would have been a time that I would have agreed with you, but Pete has not grown up enough, and Peggy deserves better.

Frankly I want happy resolutions for Joan, Peggy & Sally.

There rest I'll take what is given.

I can see how you got there, and there would have been a time that I would have agreed with you, but Pete has not grown up enough, and Peggy deserves better.

Deserves better? I don't mean for them to end up together like that. 

Fair enough, but to me he is still unstable, he shines when everything is going right. But when things go wrong he brings everyone down with him. This is why Pete entertains me as a character. Don't think he would be a good business partner either.

I like Blacklist, though I'm not sure I'm enjoying it so much as last year. Right now I'm about four episodes behind.

I do think James Spader really is the show, though. I like the other characters alright, but the show would not work without Spader. The rest of the characters are kind of bland.

I know there's quite a bit of hate out there toward Liz, and I actually get that. Megan Boone is not the world's most expressive actress, and I won't deny that there are times I wish they'd cast a stronger actress as their lead. But personally I'm fine with her most of the time. She does a passable job IMO and doesn't pull me out of the story, so....*shrugs* I'm ok with her. That's just my two cents. :)

• Love 1
Fair enough, but to me he is still unstable, he shines when everything is going right. But when things go wrong he brings everyone down with him. This is why Pete entertains me as a character. Don't think he would be a good business partner either.

I think...he's not really unstable..but rather more temperamental. But he does have a gift for seeing the big picture and keeping things forward. 

I don't know...I'm just a big fan of the Pete character and the dynamic with him and Peggy (though that's 70% due to the actors)

(edited)

I couldn't get into Blacklist. I don't really care about James Spader and I generally have a hard time connecting to older male characters (unless they act as mentors to younger females), and in this case, the female sucked ass, both the character and the actress, imo. I also think it was a mistake to make her start out married.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 1

I couldn't get into Blacklist. I don't really care about James Spader and I generally have a hard time connecting to older male characters (unless they act as mentors to younger females), and in this case, the female sucked ass, both the character and the actress, imo. I also think it was a mistake to make her start out married.

I love Spader but yeah, I stopped watching cause I had issues with the actress and her storyline with the husband.  When I was watching Spader I was riveted but then they'd wander over to other people and I had enough other shows that I got behind and then just stopped trying.   Other friends have told me this season is fantastic though.  

I can't watch James Spader, even in the Stargate movie where I liked him the best.  It's just one of those weird individual things, I keep thinking if I stuck a pin into him, all the air would come rushing out.

Peggy and Stan forever!

Yes! So much this! I don't think it will happen, but I would love it! 

I don't think Weiner is too into the OTP stuff, but I`ll be rooting for them until the end! 

I used to watch the The Blacklist, but I kind of got bored with it, and I fell out of my rotation. Really, the only interesting character is Red, and even his schick can get old.I`ve watched a few episodes here and there since the first half of the first season, and its not really bad, just not anything super special. Unless its gotten a lot better. 

• Love 1