Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

23 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

It’s been since the night of the season 7 final that I’ve posted. I was in the state of shock that night because I found out that I had cancer in multiple locations earlier in the day [...]

So why am I writing to you now on the last day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month? I have met some wonderful people on this journey. Some have died but most have lived. If there is any way you can send out positive vibes, prayers or whatever you want to call them into the universe I would appreciate it. It really makes a difference. The clinic I go to is the most upbeat positive place I have ever been to and the happiness and love that exudes from almost every one of the patients and medical personnel is awesome.

I hope and plan on beating this. The doctors believe all my cancer is gone and I’m having an MRI next week to find out if this is true. I also can’t wait to see S8 although it will probably be well after it’s over. 

I'm both heartbroken for all the pain you've endured and overjoyed for the great expectations your doctors has given you .  The strength you've found is amazing and inspiring.  You and others going through a similar trip to the island (to borrow Arrow's metaphor) will most certainly remain in my thoughts and prayers.  

• Love 1

It’s the last night of my 20s and it’s wild to think that Arrow has been there for almost my entire 20s, from college to grad school to something close to adulthood, and it’s ending right as my 20s ends as well. It’s making me weirdly emotional lol but it’s been a great ride! I hear your 30s can be fun too! Even without salmon ladders...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

@tennisgurl Omg you're just a baby!!! Did you have a big celebration?

I've really enjoyed every age from about 20 onwards! 

I need advice. I'm kinda torn so hoping to get fresh perspectives.

So we like two houses.

House 1: 

*Battle-ax piece of land so it's behind another house

*Big, built 20 years ago, very livable but needs money spent on it to be swish

*Great suburb where you can leave doors unlocked (seriously I see all the neighbors doors open with no one around all the time)

*Train line

*One street down from our current house

House 2

*Has street frontage but tiny land. Like half the land of house 1

*Brand new, no money spared building this place

*Place was built within 8 months - we've had a lot of instances of brand new apartments cracking and being declared unsafe recently. The fact that they built this place in 8 months and if I'm the first owner I'll inherit all the issues worries me a little

*Far from train station. Will need to take a 5 min drive to the station every morning for work

We have reason to believe they'll go for very similar prices. Which house would you go for? Do you think House 2 is shady being built so quickly? Every neighbor of ours who built took at least 1 to 1.5 years.

House 2 is gorgeous though. Has everything you could ever want and looks like a magazine home. House 1 has been standing for 20 years and apart from looking a bit tired we know nothing has fallen apart (like wall pipes exploding etc)

What to do?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Omg you're just a baby!!! Did you have a big celebration?

lol Tell that to my little sister who has been making grandma jokes all week 😉 Tomorrow for my actual birthday I am having lunch with some friends, then a nice dinner with my immediate family, and then on Friday I am going to a wine/paint place with my mom, grandma, aunts, and cousins, and then on Saturday, its dinner/drinks at a habotchi grill/bar! Then maybe some dancing! Its a whole birthday weekend! I only turn 30 once! 

I like the sound of the first house! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
On 11/6/2019 at 7:51 PM, Mellowyellow said:

@tennisgurl Omg you're just a baby!!! Did you have a big celebration?

I've really enjoyed every age from about 20 onwards! 

I need advice. I'm kinda torn so hoping to get fresh perspectives.

So we like two houses.

House 1: 

*Battle-ax piece of land so it's behind another house

*Big, built 20 years ago, very livable but needs money spent on it to be swish

*Great suburb where you can leave doors unlocked (seriously I see all the neighbors doors open with no one around all the time)

*Train line

*One street down from our current house

House 2

*Has street frontage but tiny land. Like half the land of house 1

*Brand new, no money spared building this place

*Place was built within 8 months - we've had a lot of instances of brand new apartments cracking and being declared unsafe recently. The fact that they built this place in 8 months and if I'm the first owner I'll inherit all the issues worries me a little

*Far from train station. Will need to take a 5 min drive to the station every morning for work

We have reason to believe they'll go for very similar prices. Which house would you go for? Do you think House 2 is shady being built so quickly? Every neighbor of ours who built took at least 1 to 1.5 years.

House 2 is gorgeous though. Has everything you could ever want and looks like a magazine home. House 1 has been standing for 20 years and apart from looking a bit tired we know nothing has fallen apart (like wall pipes exploding etc)

What to do?

Eight months doesn't have to be too quick.  A lot of houses where the house plans are used a lot get built in 4-6 months (yes i googled) because all the issues have been anticipated long ago.  Otherwise internet says the average for a completely customized plan is 10-16.  I wouldn't worry so much about how fast it was built but the rep of the builder.

Here's my question though.  What do you plan to do with the house in the short term?  I know you have hopes that the kidlet will eventually move in but do you plan on renting it out for now?  IF you are thinking it's going to be 15 years before your son takes residence, well by then anything you have done to update the house will be outdated already and need to be redone, lol.  Same with the new house.  😄

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Eight months doesn't have to be too quick.  A lot of houses where the house plans are used a lot get built in 4-6 months (yes i googled) because all the issues have been anticipated long ago.  Otherwise internet says the average for a completely customized plan is 10-16.  I wouldn't worry so much about how fast it was built but the rep of the builder.

Here's my question though.  What do you plan to do with the house in the short term?  I know you have hopes that the kidlet will eventually move in but do you plan on renting it out for now?  IF you are thinking it's going to be 15 years before your son takes residence, well by then anything you have done to update the house will be outdated already and need to be redone, lol.  Same with the new house.  😄

Haha bless you for googling!!! Haha it's so you! I rang some old contacts and they told me the same thing that you've said. Things can be built really fast if you get the right approvals, know what you're doing and the weather is good.

Regarding what we plan to do with the houses: Once upon a time to bright eyed kids stressed out, lived on packet noodles and reconstituted juice to buy a dump in the best street in the suburb. I grew very sentimental about said dump and never thought we would move. All my fruit trees are on there.

One day after a very poor crop of blood oranges and cursing my trees I had a revelation that we can move! We don't have to live in a dump no more. So we started house hunting.

Ideas is to move to the new home, give the kid his own toy room, give the dog her own room, give my sister a room if she wants it, actually have a swimming pool and space!!!!! We're going to rent out our old place.

I saw House 1 again today. It needs A LOT of work. Feels a bit like our current house with but a lot more space.....

House 2 I visited yesterday. Agent is a d@ckhead and asking for more than $150k above what it should be worth. I look forward to laughing in his face when it goes to auction cuz no one is going to pay that much. He was very condescending. I get the impression he thinks we're poor compared to the older people viewing the house.

Anyways House 1 is auctioning next week so I've got to decide if I'm going to go all out and bust a gut to buy it. Needs a lot of TLC. I'm starting to feel like I'm not getting the lifestyle upgrade I wanted. I'll just have more space for my junk and a pool! 

Or do I wait and bid on House 2. The area around House 2 has lots of new houses being built. There will be a lot of stock hitting the market.

Stressed!!!!! Adulting is hard!

• Love 1
On 11/8/2019 at 7:02 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Stressed!!!!! Adulting is hard!

No kidding.  

The one thing I've learned from all the House Hunter and Property Brother's shows is that if you get a fixer upper, you want to have room in the budget to fix it up, lol. 

But it sounds like you are so on top of all of this.  Whatever you decide will be great in the end.  Good luck.

• Love 1

Thanks @bijoux

@BkWurm1 we're being flakes. We keep flip flopping. Spot on regarding money to fix the fixer upper. The first 2 times we viewed it we were enamored with the size and were going to go mental at auction. Now after the third viewing all I see is age and things that are old/ potentially broken.

There is also this strange sense of "I feel like I've lived this life before in a smaller house, why am I doing it again on the next street"

*Waaaaaaaails*

Auction should be amusing though. I see at least 3 other high strung looking families whinging to the agent about how old the property is. Hehe and everyone side eyes everyone else at the house viewings 😂

By the way are there lots of blizzards where you live? I think Laura Ingalls is living in the same place as you in the book we just finished and there's a lot of blizzards. All the time it seems!

Feeling nostalgic.

I started Arrow before my kid even started preschool. I remember asking you guys for book recommendations for him and bought Amelia Bedelia.

My friend dropped off all her Harry Potter books for him yesterday and he'll start them during the summer holidays in a months time. Time flew!!!!!

The kid doesn't ship but I'm dying of curiosity to see if he has any opinion at all on how the pairings worked out in the end. I will be so vindicated if he thinks Harry should have married Hermione 😂

I also bought him The Witches, something I thought he'd never be ready for because if its iffy themes.

@statsgirl I think he's finally ready for Neil Flambe. I'm being a cheapskate and waiting for the box set to have free postage.

• Love 4

Bestie wants me to recreate a marble pound cake that she eats at the Hilton breakfast buffet. She's obsessed with it.

During my research I ran into this for all you Anne lovers out there!!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/36eggs.com/2015/03/22/miss-ellen-pringles-pound-cake/amp/

They attempt to make Miss Ellen Pringle's pound cake. Everytime I read this book the idea of 36 eggs and sweating the cake fascinates me. So awesome someone actually tried to recreate it.

• Love 3

That cake was quite an undertaking.  There are worse hobbies though.

@Mellowyellow I am jealous that you have the chance to renovate a house!  That is always my first preference because then I can make it into exactly what I want rather than what's fashionable.

The first house I lived in after I got married was 80 years old.  We were lucky because we didn't have to live there while they worked on it.  The insulating was old newspapers (some fascinating articles) because oil was cheap back then so we stripped it down to the studs and insulated it so that it would be cheaper to heat or cool.  Turned the third bedroom into part dressing room (with lots of closet space) and part spa-bathroom.  Put in a wine cellar for long term storage, a cold room for fruit a nifty way of opening up the back deck so we could store a laser in the basement and designed the kitchen exactly as I wanted so that there would be room for doing homework too. I loved that house so much because it was perfect for me. I had to move away and I still miss it.

• Love 3
On 11/10/2019 at 4:55 PM, Mellowyellow said:

By the way are there lots of blizzards where you live? I think Laura Ingalls is living in the same place as you in the book we just finished and there's a lot of blizzards. All the time it seems!

I've never seen one, lol.  I have seen Bald Eagles.  A quick google says Vultures were a lot more common before 1930 in MN.  And I guess they like to roost further north now.  (Which is odd cause Laura lived further south of me.)

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Bestie wants me to recreate a marble pound cake that she eats at the Hilton breakfast buffet. She's obsessed with it.

During my research I ran into this for all you Anne lovers out there!!!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/36eggs.com/2015/03/22/miss-ellen-pringles-pound-cake/amp/

They attempt to make Miss Ellen Pringle's pound cake. Everytime I read this book the idea of 36 eggs and sweating the cake fascinates me. So awesome someone actually tried to recreate it.

That cake is mind boggling.  Anne of Green Gables is a great book series.  Really, all of Montgomery's were entertaining (I particularly liked the Emily of New Moon books even more than Anne.  But you should make sure to check out Anne with and E on Netflix)

• Love 1

Ugh. I am the crusher of dreams it seems. My own dreams.

Both hubs and I were falling in love with House 2 more and more until I pored through the contract and discovered this running right under the house.

Massive 1.5m by 1.7m sewage tunnel😭😭😭 accompanied by a warning of potentially dangerous hydrogen sulfide levels past a certain depth 💩💩💩

Vendor was shady as hell and tried to bury it in the contract because it is different to the typical sewage diagrams.They also had a nerve to put in a clause stating that they don't know where the sewage is after the land was subdivided and basically tried to bury the old diagram so you wouldn't know the house was sitting on top of a massive rock sewage tunnel. 

They are trying to charge the Earth for it to. Anyways I'm very cross. Hopefully everyone else will pick it to and they won't con someone into paying a fortune for it. They have slapped a $100k premium on (compared to other properties in the area) for the fact that it's brand new and beautiful.

This is what it's built on top of!!!!!

Spoiler

0_IMG-20191114-WA0001.thumb.jpg.bec6a2d03e0d8165ac12335e11b8abe6.jpg

On another note: Sweating pound cake works like a dream. Best pound cake ever after sweating for a few hours.

• Love 1

You did a great job by finding that out.  There will be other houses.  And you will once again do your due diligence.  Or here's a crazy thought, build your own from scratch.  😄 

On the topic of pound cake, I'm going to have to go back and figure out what "sweating" a cake means, lol.  

• Love 2

Guys!!!!!! Do you watch figure skating?

If you vaguely watch it during the Olympics please watch the GPF!!!!! IT IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!

They stream it for free on the internet (officially from ISU, nothing shady) and I will link it for you when the time comes!

All the big guns in the ladies are in the final. Imagine an Olicity bottle episode where Olicity, their adults kids and younger kids get thrown together in a mushed up timeline (blame it on Barry) and they spend an entire episode going on an adventure!

GPF for ladies is going to be like that!!! WATCH IT!!!!!

• LOL 2
On 11/14/2019 at 11:12 AM, BkWurm1 said:

You did a great job by finding that out.  There will be other houses.  And you will once again do your due diligence.  Or here's a crazy thought, build your own from scratch.  😄 

On the topic of pound cake, I'm going to have to go back and figure out what "sweating" a cake means, lol.  

Oooh we looked into building and started chatting to people. A few acquaintances who built ended up spending $200K over budget due to cost overruns. I am not sure if I have the stomach to deal with that yet. *sigh* Back to house hunting

I sweat my cake by leaving it in the tin for about 15 mins after it comes out of the oven. Then I took it out of the tin and placed it in a plastic air tight box lined with absorbent kitchen paper. I left it there for another hour and then put it on the cooling rack uncovered to cool completely! REALLY makes the cake extra moist without sogging it up! 

I have been on a quest to find the perfect plain vanilla cupcake recipe! I think I might try sweating cupcakes too!

• Useful 1

Super bizarre question but I need to ask this before the Arrow forum closes.

Do you guys still use shower curtains or do you have the standard shower doors?

We're house hunting and watching TBBT which features the prominent shower curtain that makes us wonder if anyone uses them anymore.

They aren't used here anymore at all.

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you guys still use shower curtains or do you have the standard shower doors?

We have a shower door and I hate it more than anything else in my life. It is a pain in the ass to clean. Give me a shower rod all day long. Curtains can be easily replaced if they become hard to clean while a door requires a construction crew to remove and the expense is huge compared to just running into Target after work.

I have a shower door in my current apartment, and I hate it. Makes it hard to clean the tub. The only time I've found it useful is in recent weeks when I've had to bathe my cat for medical reasons, and it's the only thing that keeps him trapped in the tub as he's freaking out. 

5 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

We have a shower door and I hate it more than anything else in my life. It is a pain in the ass to clean. Give me a shower rod all day long. Curtains can be easily replaced if they become hard to clean while a door requires a construction crew to remove and the expense is huge compared to just running into Target after work.

2 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

I have a shower door in my current apartment, and I hate it. Makes it hard to clean the tub. The only time I've found it useful is in recent weeks when I've had to bathe my cat for medical reasons, and it's the only thing that keeps him trapped in the tub as he's freaking out. 

For these reasons we went back to a shower curtain. It's not ideal, I hate it when I get too close to it and it sticks to my skin, but cleaning is much easier. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

For these reasons we went back to a shower curtain. It's not ideal, I hate it when I get too close to it and it sticks to my skin, but cleaning is much easier. 

We installed a shower rod that gently curves out rather than a straight one.  Just as easy to install.  The few extra inches it bows out keeps it from ever clinging. Best choice ever.  

We've had doors on some of the showers and yeah, super big pain.  Removed them when had the chance.  No regrets.  

I do wonder though if the new all glass, no seam or rail doors are easier to deal with. But you'd still have to deal with a wall of glass getting water spots or streaks.  

If I was doing a dream bathroom I'd do the walk in with no door or curtain.  Keep it simple, but that requires more space than the average bathroom offers IMO.   

• Love 1

Okies so you guys have the framed doors. I think the Aussies just nixed all the frames and moved to frameless (glass with like two metal hinge bits to hold the glass pieces together). Hubs just cleans down the glass with some spray! Seems ok! He doesn't complain about it so I don't think it's too bad.

@BkWurm1 my bestie has what you are describing. They call it a Wet Room here. She doesn't use it. It gets very.....wet. The moisture plus the fear of mould drives them insane so they feel compelled to mop it up.

They now only use that bathroom as a guest bathroom and shower in the normal bathroom with the glass doors!

6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

We installed a shower rod that gently curves out rather than a straight one.  Just as easy to install.  The few extra inches it bows out keeps it from ever clinging. Best choice ever.  

Huh. I don't remember ever seeing that in a store. 

16 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

my bestie has what you are describing. They call it a Wet Room here. She doesn't use it. It gets very.....wet. The moisture plus the fear of mould drives them insane so they feel compelled to mop it up.

I imagine climate makes a huge difference.  And ventilation. 

12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yay!  I reached my NaNoWriMo goal of hitting 50K words this month.  😍🎈💥🥰

Wow!!!!! That is fantastic!!!! Huge huge huge accomplishment!!!!!! 😘😘😘🤗🤗🤗

Treats for you!!! 🍰🥧🧁🍨

• Love 1
On 11/30/2019 at 8:40 PM, statsgirl said:

Congratulations!  Well done!

(Does this mean that you have time to update Prodigal Son?)

Better late than never, lol.

I should be back on schedule now.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Ugh ugh ugh

I've finally found a hobby that is more stressful than shipping Olicity! At least MG and the CW are predictable!

Having a very bad figure skating weekend!

😭😭😭😭😭

Being a sports fan is so stressful, especially if you have a vested interest in the participants. I'm pretty sure that my experience following my favorite teams is why I'm now less inclined to freak out about scripted entertainment. 

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

Being a sports fan is so stressful, especially if you have a vested interest in the participants. I'm pretty sure that my experience following my favorite teams is why I'm now less inclined to freak out about scripted entertainment. 

I alternate between:

*fan girl

*pushytiger mum - baby girl you were clean in all your practices so why did you have to fall on that jump right now? Why????????

*concerned mum - maybe you should skip this comp and let that tendon heal

and best of all

*irrelevant superstitious freak - maybe if I watch/don't watch Rika while eat toasties with grill marks facing north, she will not fall

Worst of all it's hard to see them cry or try their hardest not to cry

Shipping is waaaay easier!!! At least one can enjoy the angst at times!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2

We bought a house!!!!!!!!!!

Two suburbs from our current home and twice the size with a swimming pool!!!

The property market is very hot right now (goodness knows why since NSW is burning and we are all choking on smoke) so it was a heart stopping auction but we prevailed! Woot! 

Finally the search is over although I will sort of miss the excitement that hits every time a new property is listed!

No more jewellery every again until we pay this off *cries*

Hehe Hubs and I have decided that buying a home is kinda like finding a spouse. Do you wait for the house of your dreams? Is it attainable? Do you settle and then regret it when something much better comes on the market a few months later? Should you have settled on a sensible property 3 months ago that didn't wow you because now the availability has shrunk and that unglamorous house on the excellent street has been snapped up by someone else and you're stuck with crappy properties near highways and powerlines. 

Sooo much like spouse hunting! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Congratulations, @Mellowyellow !  What is it like? When do you move in?

Thanks hun! We are moving in early March as the owners wanted to spend one last Christmas in the house and give themselves time to downsize. We don't mind as it gives us extra time to save up more money. We need to spruce up the current house a bit to be able to rent it out.

• Love 1

I'm going to see Little Women later this week sometime - btw, I got Meg, which surprised me, but I'm good with this result...

The Cast Of "Little Women" Found Out Which March Sister They Really Are And Now You Can Too
Nora Dominick   Dec. 21, 2019
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/little-women-cast-character-quiz

You got: Meg March
Your personality matches Meg! You're loyal, responsible, and genuine. Like Meg, you're a natural-born leader. You're someone who will often put the needs of others above your own. You're a caregiver who is constantly striving to make the people around you feel welcome. Your friends and family are your top priority.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I got Jo! I can see it but no way I would marry an old poor dude! 

You got: Jo March

Your personality matches Jo! You're imaginative, energetic, and expressive. Like Jo, you love to tell engaging stories. You love to surround yourself with a close group of friends who share the same passions as you. Your humor and wit is your greatest strength. You love to express yourself through art.

@tv echo you are totally Meg March on this forum. All that gathering and organising information for us!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

You got: Beth March

Your personality matches Beth! You're practical, compassionate, and responsible. Like Beth, you are a protector. It takes you a little while to open up to new people, once you do, they become your friend for life. While you have a close circle of friends, you're often the happiest when you spend some quiet time by yourself.

It feels like me.

On 11/20/2019 at 8:39 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone here read Artemis Fowl?

They're good books, I think your son will enjoy them.  My kid enjoyed the first ones. Then she got tired of books being all about boy heroes and moved on to Tamara Pierce's books.

Merry Christmas to everyone.  Thank you for another year of great discussions.

• Love 5
On 12/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, tv echo said:

I'm going to see Little Women later this week sometime - btw, I got Meg, which surprised me, but I'm good with this result...

The Cast Of "Little Women" Found Out Which March Sister They Really Are And Now You Can Too
Nora Dominick   Dec. 21, 2019
https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/little-women-cast-character-quiz

The trailer and the little featurettes popping up on YouTube look so wonderfully fresh and energetic. 

I got Beth. Some of it seems right. 

Ok I'm hoping for some sort of extra pep talk here to psych myself up.

Do any of you drive everyday?

Would you say a 15-20 min drive (one way) to school/work is far or fairly normal?

I'm not the keenest driver so really psyching myself up to drive every day for the next few years.

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

Would you say a 15-20 min drive (one way) to school/work is far or fairly normal?

I'm not the keenest driver so really psyching myself up to drive every day for the next few years.

It's pretty normal (or at least normal for my friends and family. Heck, in high school, one friend drove 40 minutes to get to school).

The best advice I got with driving new routes that I would have to do regularly was do a test drive during an off-traffic time to practice so you know where you're going and get a feel for the road.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

That's a great commute where I live. A lot of my coworkers live 60-90 miles away and take commuter busses into the city that leave at like 4AM. On the days I work in the office I leave at 5:45AM and my drive takes me about 15 minutes with no traffic. I come home during rush hour so it takes about 30-35 minutes. 

• Love 2

Thanks guys!

I'm very adverse to change so hoping this is just me freaking out before I settle into a routine where the 15 min drive becomes normal 😅

I had a hunch it might be normal for a vast number of people and I'm just having a meltdown because I need to actually do it and get used to it.