Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

The two commercials that got the loudest laughs/reactions my SB party were the Mountain Dew ad with Peter Dinklage and Morgan Freeman and the Dirty Dancing remake with the NY Giants. We debated about whether Manning was really holding Beckham up or if it was wire work.

Oh, and the fake Crocodile Dundee reboot had some of us excited to see both the Hemsworth brothers in the same movie, until we realized it was just a travel ad for Australia. Booo. 

When the MLK/Dodge ad aired, we were in disbelief that they would do something so tasteless. Like "what just happened?" 

Overall I wasn't impressed with this year's ads. For once, the game was more exciting. 

Edited by lemotomato
18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Another one I loved was the Dodge Ram/Vikings commercial with Queen's We Will Rock You.

As a Vikings fan (who only missed out on the Super Bowl by one game) that one hit a bit too close to home, lol.  

3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

When the MLK/Dodge ad aired, we were in disbelief that they would do something so tasteless. Like "what just happened?" 

Agreed.  I was enjoying it right up to the moment I realized they were pimping cars. And then I was just plain shocked they thought it was a good idea.  

The Lexus Black Panther was so cringey to me. The car scene already looks cool, don't ruin it using more product placement than it already has. Loved the Eli/Beckham dance (LA natives!). Idk I actually liked the Tide Ads because at one point we turned it into a drinking game as to whether something was a Tide ad or not and it got hilarious fast. I also always like the Olympic promos and the Toyota "Good Odds" spot" was heartwarming to me.

And I'm a big movie/tv spot person, so I was excited to see Solo, MI, and what was probably going to be Infinity War, and the announcement of airing The Cloverfield Paradox on Netflix right after the game made me scream (all of them kind of meh, but still overall ok to watch anyway).

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Least favorite. I got pissed at the Tide Ad when they got me all excited for the Budweiser Clydesdales which we haven't seen in awhile. 

I understand but apart from that I also really was amused by the Tide commercials.  

I totally forgot about the Doritos/Mountain Dew commercial. I remember laughing because it was quite Literally a Song of Fire and Ice ?

1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

I understand but apart from that I also really was amused by the Tide commercials.  

2 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Idk I actually liked the Tide Ads because at one point we turned it into a drinking game as to whether something was a Tide ad or not and it got hilarious fast

oh, I was getting a kick out fot he Tide Ad commercials right up to the Clydesdale one, then I got upset ?

• Love 1

I only watched 1/2 the game. To clarify, the game was on my TV for half of it. (Not a football fan.) Of the ones I saw, I also liked the Tide ads because they were so dumb and just kept going on and on which made me laugh. I would have watched the Dundee movie, no shame. And that MLK car ad wins the Pepsi Kendall Jenner Award for Tone Deafness. Is there no one (preferably a POC) who is in the room shaking their head like Nawww folks. This is a bad idea. I did like whoever redid the commercial and laid over MLK's part of the speech where he talks about advertising and how terrible it is. The Olympic ads got me hyped. (Totally a fanatical Olympic fan.)

The ads did seem lackluster this year. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I have to admit I didn't like the Australia Ad. Weird, I know.

I was relieved it wasn't a movie.  It seemed like some thing they might try.  Like the son of the original Crocodile Dundee returns home to try and prove himself.  And it would be a horrible over the top not funny comedy.

Edited by BkWurm1
Just now, BkWurm1 said:

I was relieved it wasn't a movie.  It seemed like some thing they might try.

8 think that was the problem. I was so annoyed that they'd make a stupid movie like that (I don't find that actor funny). I couldn't get over my annoyance even after the "punchline" so to speak

2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

8 think that was the problem. I was so annoyed that they'd make a stupid movie like that (I don't find that actor funny). I couldn't get over my annoyance even after the "punchline" so to speak

I was too relieved to even think about what they were really trying to promote.  

I just went to google the ad you guys are talking about. I would have totally thought it was a movie.....a really weird movie!

I saw two versions. The one with Margo Robbie totally looks like a movie.

On another note, YOU SHOULD ALL COME VISIT!!!!!!!!!

• Love 2

I heard it was fake before hand so I liked seeing all the actors Chris Hemsworth, Liam Hemsworth, Hugh Jackman, Margo Robbie, Isla Fisher and Russell Crowe.

2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I just went to google the ad you guys are talking about. I would have totally thought it was a movie.....a really weird movie!

I saw two versions. The one with Margo Robbie totally looks like a movie.

On another note, YOU SHOULD ALL COME VISIT!!!!!!!!!

I want to visit Australia but I don't know if I can handle a 22 hour flight or the giant animals and insect you guys have. 

• Love 2

I saw a Crocodile Dundee trailer with Chris Hemsworth last week. I absolutely thought it was a thing. I’m pretty sure Liam wasn’t in it. It’s weird, I’d have thought they’d have waited until the Superbowl to release it, plus we’re such a small market. In the one I saw Dundee’s son comes back home and Chris is waiting for him excitedly only to find out he’s nothing like his father. Does it sound similar?

3 hours ago, jaye.elle said:

It's only like ... 15 hours? 18 hours? Depending where you live. I went to Syracuse, NY but via Hawaii and Chicago so it was broken up! haha. It was 15 hours Brissie -> LA

I saw the same thing - that's why I was so confused that it was such a surprise to most people!

I was counting all the stops as part of the hours spent on a plane or in another airport. For me the clock stops when you arrive at the airport of your destination. All the flights I've seen from Chicago to let's go with Syndney were about 24 to 26 hours with 1 or more stops. 

I did 12 hours to Japan from LA and that made me realize that Australia would be way too much time spent on a plane. Maybe someday when I win money and get business class. Lol. Although I've noticed that almost all the actors from there are white, what's the minority situation over there? I'm Asian. 

12 hours ago, leopardprint said:

That Dodge commercial was so tasteless, but I found the Etrade commercial about being unable to retire truly horrifying. 

Sadly that Etrade commercial has a lot of truth to it. 

• Love 1

I also wasn't impressed with JT. I also sideeyed the use of Prince songs and images (even though I get why b/c MN) since Prince and JT had repeated beef with each other and Prince was pretty clear about not wanting his image used that way - even though it wasn't the rumored hologram. Ah well, I hope they get some good acts for Atlanta next year.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

What did you think of Timberlake? 

I didn’t watch it because #JusticeforJanet but the few clips I did see seemed very blah. 

But really, it’s super weird that JT seems to have given up a much more successful pop star career for a mediocre acting career? Though I get it that touring seems like it is incredibly hard and tiring. 

Maybe Prince has cursed him from the great beyond.

2 HOURS AGO, JAY741982 SAID:

Sadly that Etrade commercial has a lot of truth to it. 

It was like it was created by the makers of Black Mirror. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I didn’t watch it because #JusticeforJanet but the few clips I did see seemed very blah. 

But really, it’s super weird that JT seems to have given up a much more successful pop star career for a mediocre acting career? Though I get it that touring seems like it is incredibly hard and tiring. 

I have legit told some of my peers at my Job the last few years whether it was younger co workers or ones my age that I can see us not being able to retire till we are like 75 to 80 and it sucks. Haha you're right it's like writers of Black Mirror had something to do with that commercial 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, leopardprint said:

They made sure to announce just before the half time performance started that he had a new album coming out

22 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

They made sure to announce just before the half time performance started that he had a new album coming out

Oh I know, and he’s going on tour as well, but I didn’t realize his last album was five years ago, I thought it was older than that. 

Edited by leopardprint
8 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Giants, Tide and Dinklage/Freeman were definitely my favorites. Still shaking my head over the MLK/Dodge thing.

What did you think of Timberlake? 

I thought it started out pretty slow but started to build.  I liked the image of Prince and the lit up streets (well the appearance of the lit up streets since it was only a trick).  I would have hated a hologram but his image on the sheet as in part an homage to Prince's Superbowl performance worked for me.  I really loved when the marching band came out in their black and white suits and ties and all the brass players dancing and playing, I thought that looked great and sounded great.  The rest was fine. 

The trip into the crowd had a certain excitement because of how excited some of the people in the crowd looked but that kid was either clueless or shellshocked so that was a bit distracting. 

For the most part it takes a lot to really impress me during a half time performance but I had taken a peek at the previous performance at halftime the last time MN hosted the SB and that likely lowered my expectations, lol.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I've always thought of JT as pretty much a lightweight, good for radio but not so much for arena concerts. That's why I was scratching my head when he was announced for the halftime show. Those things have become spectacles. I really enjoyed the one with Bruno Mars and Beyonce and Coldplay. Loved the Lady Gaga one, too. And if we go farther back, the one with Prince was electric. Not so much JT's show. It felt very ... banal and I found his insistence on "honoring" Prince in that way fake and self-serving.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I've always thought of JT as pretty much a lightweight, good for radio but not so much for arena concerts. That's why I was scratching my head when he was announced for the halftime show. Those things have become spectacles. I really enjoyed the one with Bruno Mars and Beyonce and Coldplay. Loved the Lady Gaga one, too. And if we go farther back, the one with Prince was electric. Not so much JT's show. It felt very ... banal and I found his insistence on "honoring" Prince in that way fake and self-serving.

Locally, JT spent the week before the show hopping around town, giving interviews and talking up his obsession with Prince so it didn't seem to come out of the blue so much.  

12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Locally, JT spent the week before the show hopping around town, giving interviews and talking up his obsession with Prince so it didn't seem to come out of the blue so much.  

Oh, it definitely didn't come out of the blue. In fact, it felt more like a very well-planned FU to somebody who couldn't really respond anymore. JT had dissed Prince in the past and this is just the continuation. Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. But it really ruined what was already a boring show for me.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Too bad he supposedly wrote a song slamming Prince not too long ago.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Too bad he supposedly wrote a song slamming Prince not too long ago.

Right.

As a tribute to Prince in his hometown, they could have just shown us this image before they cut to commercial instead of that bland performance cause this was beautiful. 

Screen+Shot+2018-02-04+at+8.58.02+PM.png

11 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I was counting all the stops as part of the hours spent on a plane or in another airport. For me the clock stops when you arrive at the airport of your destination. All the flights I've seen from Chicago to let's go with Syndney were about 24 to 26 hours with 1 or more stops. 

I did 12 hours to Japan from LA and that made me realize that Australia would be way too much time spent on a plane. Maybe someday when I win money and get business class. Lol. Although I've noticed that almost all the actors from there are white, what's the minority situation over there? I'm Asian. 

I live in Sydney so there are lots of minorities and it's really multicultural. There are certain suburbs that when you travel to them you feel like you're in Vietnam, Hong Kong or China. 

We go to Queensland a lot for our beach holidays and it's mostly caucasians there but everyone is super nice so it's not like anyone bats an eyelid because you're asian. The only difference is that Queensland has crappy asian food and yum cha. 

I find the richer suburbs of Sydney (up north) a bit snotty and sometimes down right bizarre. I think it's all the people with "old money". Every time I take my son out in those parts someone asks me if I am his nanny and tries to offer me a job! One woman marched up to my kid and said he is such a handsome and clever looking boy he should go to ZZZ private school because they love little boys like that. I was like "WTF????!!!!!!!"

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I hated the HIMYM finale so much, I can’t watch any reruns. It ruined the entire series for me. 

Haha Hubby and I still have bitter dinner table discussions about it YEARS after. Every once in a while one of us will bring it up and launch into an angry tirade! 

• Love 4

Yeah the finale leaves me with mixed feelings. They ruined two established relationships  (Barnett/Robin Ted/Tracy) and the entire premise of the show in like 5 minutes. I could have accepted the it has to be Robin ending of the show, if they hadn't established for seasons that Ted and Robin don't work, want different things from life and in one episode Robin basically admitted she loved but wasn't in love with Ted nor saw herself ever being in love with him. Plus it felt healthy and mature for Ted to learn to move on from his Robin obsession. 

But I actually enjoyed most of the rest of the episode besides the maddening last ten minutes when they basically turned Tracy into a place holder, because to be honest Ted was the least interesting and sometimes least likeable character on the show.

Edited by Mary0360
5 hours ago, jaye.elle said:

Fair enough. I'm used to it - it take 12-16 hours to travel most places from here. 

Minority situation .... yeah, it's not great. 25% of Australian are non-Australian born but like a third of those are Poms / Kiwi's! haha. The major cities are pretty diverse - the rural areas are less so, unfortunately. (We don't even talk about the horrors that have happened and are continuing to happen to the indigenous population). 

@Mellowyellow - what do you think?

To add to this, this was based on almost a century of White only or European migration from like 1900 to like 1980. There was Asian or Africain migration during that time but they pretty much were only after White people. I think it was even called the White  Only Policy.

There was also a fear of what they called the Yellow Peril for a lot of decades in the early 20th century. Where they feared China or Japan would invade or take over the country. 

Post Vietnam War there was a lot of Asian and Africain migration and I'd say we have a pretty significant Asian and Sudanese population now. But still our biggest immigration remains New Zealand and the UK. 

Then there is our refugee record which is frankly terrible and something the UN openly criticises as attacks. And even though our treatment of the indigenous population has been better since the 1990s that came after decades of terrible treatment and unlike African Americanised who have become empowered citizens in America I don't think we have many indigenous people in positions of influence. 

So there is a long history of Xenophobia in our country unfortunately but I like to believe for the most part that it's in our policy and not public opinion. 

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

This article is very long and I wasn't sure what to quote, so I'll just post the link here...

Stuntwoman’s Federal Push To End “Wigging” Shakes Up Male-Dominated Industry
by David Robb   February 6, 2018
http://deadline.com/2018/02/stuntwoman-wigging-charge-shakes-male-dominated-industry-sag-aftra-1202279591/

That's a really interesting article.  I had no idea there were even rules in place that said men shouldn't be tossed in a wig to do the stunts without first endeavoring to hire a qualified woman.  I assumed it was still considered fine given the number of times even I have noticed they have some dude doing a stunt for a woman in a movie.  I thought it was dumb but thought it was just normal, now it sounds like more often than one expects those cases were probably some dude just getting an extra paycheck (or at least that was my take away) instead of a woman working.  

And the hysterics over GASP the industry being forced to not discriminate!  

That was too much for Reierson. “I find it so interesting,” she wrote, “that a man’s take on giving women equal treatment in the stunt industry is that ‘our industry is now in chaos, it’s spiraling out of control’ and that the ‘profession is in the verge of being crushed.’ Really?? Men not being the only ones in control does not mean that everything is going to fall to shit. It’s time for the status quo to change – in MANY industries. The people with all the privilege always feel oppressed when they have to start sharing it with others.”

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

That was too much for Reierson. “I find it so interesting,” she wrote, “that a man’s take on giving women equal treatment in the stunt industry is that ‘our industry is now in chaos, it’s spiraling out of control’ and that the ‘profession is in the verge of being crushed.’

For the group that has always been privileged, equal treatment of everyone feels like discrimination against them. (Insert political, education, financial, any area you want.)

MacNair’s attorney, Brenda Feigen, says that MacNair received a death threat over the weekend.

None of Hollywood’s four main stuntmen’s organizations currently has a female member, but MacNair’s complaint, and the rising tide of stuntwomen speaking out against harassment and discrimination, has so rattled the insular, male-dominated stunt business that two of them – Stunts Unlimited and the International Stunt Association – are said to be considering allowing women to join for the first time in years.

The irony is that men have more strength but in terms of endurance, woman are superior. The idea that a stunt is "too dangerous" for a woman is a great way to keep women from reaching equality.

He responded to her via email in January 2017, saying that “as far as acting effeminate in the photo that was somehow demeaning to women. Jeez. I have six sisters. I probably know more about women than you do.”

I have no words.

• Love 6

Also, if your damn stunt car is catching on fire (as opposed to be purposely set on fire), you head right over to the director and producer and discuss changing the car. I assume that they already had footage of the Chevy, and that General Motors was at least partly sponsoring the film, but there's plenty of stuff that can be done in post-production, and MGM keeps attorneys on hand.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, BunsenBurner said:

I had a timeline when I wanted to get everything done then life happened and changed everything. Funny how that happens. 

I hear ya hun! I was going to be a career woman and rule the world. Turns out I LOATHED the corporate world and was happy being a crazy dog lady! 

• Love 2

hehe shipping Olicity has its benefits! Hubby's 12 year anniversary/Valentine's Day present for me to make up for the lack of heart eyes and to thank me for wining and dining him (and buying him pretty clothes to wear on dates):

-3ZZmclavYCO67rdsYxXAluu9WL0iwK4-TpItjF8

76PvUoxA7GIkb8ocDXdZRQdnYVv7yuRC2dJgJuh2

This came all the way from Texas!!!! You Americans make gorgeous jewellery! 

• Love 8