Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

33 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's crazy.  My sister-in-law was a school bus driver at the time of her last pregnancy.  She couldn't even get more than a week off of work without losing a big end of the year bonus and ended up taking the baby WITH her everyday on the bus. At one week old. The kid got so used to drinking his bottle on his own propped up in his car seat that he refused to take it if someone was holding it!  (And he has one side of his head that is rather flat as well, sorry Sam!)

That is nuts!!!!! 

How much is your childcare? Do you guys use childcare centres?

Depending on where you live our childcare can cost up to $150 a day per child. The government will give you a rebate of up to $7500 a year if you work and pass certain income tests (these aren't strict you'd need to earn a fortune before they cut you off). 

I'm really interested to know what you guys pay. 

I'm excited for the OUAT episode but I hope that dress looks better in other pictures.

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'm amazed at paid maternity leave not being a sure thing. I'd understand if it were limited for a short period but none at all is crazy - at least from my perspective.

It's one of the things that sets the US apart.  (In my country there is one year paid leave although they're thinking of making it 18 months at a reduced rate if mothers want.)

Another reason for the high cost of medical services in the U.S. is because each pill and procedure is not only billed separately, it is billed at a different rate depending on the agreement that has been made with the insurer, so an aspirin billed to one company is billed $X, and the same drug is billed to another company for $Y.  Also, for many plans, you have to go only to the doctors the plan lists for you rather than any qualified doctor in the area.  The result is a massive bureaucracy that sucks up a lot of money. (In contrast, in those places where there is universal medical coverage, hospitals are handed a lump sum and told to make it work, making the billing departments far smaller.)

13 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I'm excited for the OUAT episode but I hope that dress looks better in other pictures.

It's one of the things that sets the US apart.  (In my country there is one year paid leave although they're thinking of making it 18 months at a reduced rate if mothers want.)

Are you in Canada? That is fabulous!!!!!! 

Sometimes it's just not worth it for us to work in Australia as all your money can go to childcare and you end up taking home about $200 after tax after a full working week if you haven't got a high paying job. 

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

That is nuts!!!!! 

How much is your childcare? Do you guys use childcare centres?

Depending on where you live our childcare can cost up to $150 a day per child. The government will give you a rebate of up to $7500 a year if you work and pass certain income tests (these aren't strict you'd need to earn a fortune before they cut you off). 

I'm really interested to know what you guys pay. 

I don't really know the costs since the people I knew used relatives or in the case of the bus drivers, brought their kid with them, (which was actually a perk when they are not newborns!) but I understand it's the same thing, where often it feels like your working just to pay for the daycare.  

30 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Sometimes it's just not worth it for us to work in Australia as all your money can go to childcare and you end up taking home about $200 after tax after a full working week if you haven't got a high paying job. 

I actually had a co-worker, his wife was Union so her raises and promotions were limited. She quit her job about 3 years ago because she wasn't happy and when they did the math, her entire paycheck went to daycare (2 boys). They figured they were essentially living off his paycheck, might as well stay home then pay for daycare

In the metro area where I live, the average cost for full-time daycare in a center (versus in-home) ranges from $250-325 per week, which is $13k-$17k/year, depending on age (preschool/toddler/infant). So if, like me, you have one preschooler and one infant, you'd pay $31k per year out of pocket. It is INSANE. You have to ask yourself if you're willing to do your job full-time for what is remaining of your take-home pay after those costs. Which is why I freelance now, and my childcare (when I have to work outside of evenings/weekends) is a hodge-podge of preschool and very awesome grandparents.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

You didn't tell from the British spelling?  ;-)

Childcare here ranges from the most expensive in Toronto at more than $1000  to Quebec where it's capped at $174 a month ( the government subsidizes it heavily).  Meanwhile the people who work taking care of our children only earn $25,000 which is really low.  Needless to say, a lot of people use unlicensed day cares which are cheaper.

Some people in my area share nannies especially if the kids are the same age.  That way don't have to send a sick child to school.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Ohhh what are you watching?

I am watching my favorite movies starring the BEST Actor during my lifetime-Amitabh Bachchan from the 70s and 80s.

Adalat, Amar Akbar Anthony, Aakhree Rasta, Chupke Chupke, Do Anjane, Do Aur Do Paanch, Desh Premee, Don, Deewar, Dostana, Great Gambler, Hera Pheri, Barsaat Ki Ek Raat, Kaala Patthar, Kaala, Khuddar, Khoon Pasina, Lawaris, Majboor, Mr. Natwarlal, Parvarish, Satte Pe Satta, Sholay, TRISHUL! (the movie that made me fall in ?❤️?With him) Shaan, Zameer, Zanjeer are the ones I've watched so far. Have about ten more or so to get through. And even his clunkers-which are masterpieces compared to the SHIT that passes for Bollywood movies from the past 15 years or so. Here's a still from Deewar-1975-Sexy, Broody, Angry. He really excelled at that. 

IMG_2409.JPG.46109159bdac38023bdea7f0b612688f.JPG

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

@MaisyDaisy are you watching MKR this year?????

With Josh the Jerk?

Yes, I have missed a few here and there, but watched most.

Josh is such a jerk, I kinda feel sorry for his wife, but she could be pretty nasty and smug herself. 

That hipster couple were also horrible when they were at the bottom of the leader board, talking about leaving, and being super rude, and as soon as they were safe, their attitude changed. Such bad sports!

There has been some amazing food so far though, especially the Indian and South East Asian food. But I am not a fan of offal, and crumbed lambs brains will never be something I eat.

The hipster wife was SO SO SO awful! Such bad manners she could not sit through one dinner without carrying on! I was appalled! 

I'm not a fan of offal either and I think that will be Amy and Tyson's undoing! Too many weird dishes! I like them a lot though, especially Amy who knows exactly how to deal with her brother! Poor Tyson is so awkward! 

I've tried blood sausage five times in an attempt to expand my palate but have never liked it. They always serve it with scallops and it just brings the scallops down! 

Yeah I agree Amy and Tyson do go too out there. Amy is a quiet beauty isn't she. At first glance she just looks pretty, but the longer you look you realise that she is not pretty but actually beautiful.

That whole 'flirtation' that was going on in the beginning between that big guy and that chick who said she went on the show to find a husband was pretty cringe worthy. 

If I had to eat anyone's food I think I would pick Betty and David's (is that his name?).

How funny was it that Josh was the self dubbed 'seafood king' and was more miss than hit when cooking it.

i love seafood, I have to admit that I quite like it raw too, so no blood sausage on my scallops, they are such a delicate taste, I hate it when people overpower seafood.

The most 'out there' I have gone is raw Kinna (sea urchin) or chicken feet.

It's the eyes!!!! She has the most beautiful eyes!

Oooh you'd eat my cooking then!!!!! I cook a lot of asian food!!! The day after David and Betty did the street food challenge I busted out my spring rolls, marinated meat and made vermicelli bowls (Bun Thit Nuong Cha Gio) for dinner! My 4 year old won't eat a hamburger but will eat all sorts of asian food! We always say he's fresh off the boat! 

Most out there food for me is probably blood jelly cubes. And I don't mind it at all! 

I made the mistake of watching the promo for it. I have regrets.

Seriously, DD is one of those movies that should never be remade. I'm offended! Haha.

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

Baby looks like a...well, baby, and Johnny looks like he's 40, which is ick. 

Oow, not a fan of the guy they cast for Johnny.  Grey and Swayze looked right as a couple even if he was supposed to be a lot older.  This guy next to Breslin looks like a child predator.  Maybe it will be better outside of the promo, but I'm not expecting it.  

• Love 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/business/hollywood-writers-unions-vote-to-authorize-strike-against-producers.html?_r=0

FYI, as expected, the Writers Union authorized a strike IF it's needed.  

If no agreement is reached, a walkout could happen as soon as May 2 and potentially idle tens of thousands of workers — not just writers but the drivers, caterers, set carpenters, dry cleaners and other service providers who make Hollywood’s wheels turn. Writers picketed for 100 days in the 2007 strike, bringing TV production to a halt and causing $2.5 billion in economic losses in Los Angeles, according to government economists.

A strike would first affect late-night talk shows and soap operas that use guild writers, sending the programs into repeats or forcing hosts to ad-lib. The production of scripted TV series would slow down, as producers burned through scripts. Networks would rely more heavily on news, sports and reality programming. Moviegoers would not experience immediate effects; studios have finished shooting most summer and fall movies.

[snip]

leaders of the two writers’ unions, which bargain as one, say that the middle-class majority of their members are struggling as never before, even as television production booms in the video-streaming age and some blockbusters take in more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office.

Networks are ordering fewer episodes per season — as few as 10 compared with 22 just a few years ago — so series writing jobs pay less than they once did. At the same time, staff writers can work for only one series at once, taking them off the market for up to a year. And broadcast network reruns do not attract many viewers anymore, limiting residual payments. On the movie side, studios have cut way back on what is known as development, or the polishing and reworking of scripts to produce a good one.

“There’s a wild disparity between what writers are paid and the profits that are generated from their work,” Howard A. Rodman, president of the West guild, said in an interview this month. “If you look at the budgets of television shows, the part allotted for writing is generally 2 percent. That strikes me as a very small amount given the importance of writing to the enterprise.”

I was wondering what was going on with the Twop relaunch, I couldn't find any new information on it. I still miss their recaps. Well most of them, not ones that wrote 25 pages for a tv show recap. 

From the Social Media thread

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

I think this is part of a larger issue where even children are somehow conditioned to think that girls are inferior to boys, and therefore their opinions are less legitimate and their likes are less reasonable. That's certainly the case in some cultures, but even in the U.S. this dangerous belief persists.  I just read this very disturbing article about a study that showed gender stereotypes emerging as early as age 6 (namely, the biased belief that boys are smarter than girls, despite the fact that girls were generally outperforming boys in school at that age)...

6-Year-Old Girls Already Have Gendered Beliefs About Intelligence
ED YONG  JAN 26, 2017  
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/01/six-year-old-girls-already-have-gendered-beliefs-about-intelligence/514340/?utm_source=twb 

I remember hearing this statement once, and it's really stuck with me: "Men are presumed competent until proven incompetent, while women are presumed incompetent until proven competent."

There's an interesting link in that article to XY Bias: How Male Biology Students See Their Female Peers which gives an even better sense of how hard it is to be a woman in an area where men think they rule:

Over the last three years, Sarah Eddy and Daniel Grunspan have asked over 1,700 biology undergraduates at the University of Washington to name classmates whom they thought were “strong in their understanding of classroom material.” The results were worrying but predictable. The male students underestimated their female peers, over-nominating other men over better-performing women.

Put it this way: To the men in these classes, a woman would need to get an A to get the same prestige as a man getting a B.

“A lot of people make the assumption that issues of gender in biology are gone because so many women enroll,” says Eddy. “But we know there are strong unconscious biases equating science to males. They’re just there in the air.”

Her study is the latest to show the challenges faced by women in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). In the U.S., women earn around half the doctorates in these fields, but so many drop out at every step of the career ladder, that men always dominate the top echelons. As Helen Shen writes in Nature, women comprise “only 21 percent of full science professors and 5 percent of full engineering professors” and “on average, they earn just 82 percent of what male scientists make in the United States—even less in Europe.”

The causes of this attrition are manifold, but sexual discrimination is an indisputable part of it. Women in STEM repeatedly report experiencing sexual harassment, being mistaken for administrative staff, being forced to prove themselves to a degree that their male colleagues are not, being told to behave in more aggressive, outspoken masculine ways while simultaneously facing backlash for doing so.

And several careful experiments have shown that faculty members—both men and women—are more likely to spend their time mentoring men, to respond to emails from men, to call on men in classes, to rate (fictional) male applicants as more competent and hirable than identical female ones, and to hire a man for a job that requires math.

These biases, sometimes manifesting outrightly and sometimes insidiously, collectively create an environment where women feel like they don’t belong, like they aren’t valued, like the odds are set against them. Confidence falls, perseverance wanes, and careers die by a thousand cuts. [snip]

But even after adjusting for both these factors, the team found that male students still disproportionately nominated other men, giving them a boost equivalent to a GPA increase of 0.77. By contrast, the female students showed no such biases, giving other women a paltry boost of just 0.04 GPA points. As the team wrote, “On this scale, the male nominators’ gender bias is 19 times the size of the female nominators’.”

I think it's interesting that this is what we see in the fandom too, that male posters are given more credit and valued more highly than female ones who are as good or better.

• Love 9
(edited)

OUaT spoilers...

Spoiler

Go to article to watch a sneak peek video of Hook singing his pirate song...
Hook's Song From the Once Upon a Time Musical Episode Is Here & It's a Swashbuckling Delight
by BILLY NILLES | Mon, May 1, 2017 5:48 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/847431/hook-s-song-from-the-once-upon-a-time-musical-episode-is-here-it-s-a-swashbuckling-delight

The first taste of Once Upon a Time's highly-anticipated musical number has been released by ABC, and in it, Colin O'Donoghue gets to introduce the world to his impressive set of pipes as Hook and his Jolly Roger comrades treat Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Charming (Josh Dallas) to a little ditty about the priceless hunt for revenge in response to their desire to secure passage on Hook's boat. Revenge on whom, you ask?

This video includes b-t-s filming of Emma and Zelena singing...
Once Upon a Time 6x20 Featurette "The Song in Your Heart" (HD) - Musical Episode

Once Upon a Time: Check out the full tracklist from upcoming musical
NATALIE ABRAMS   MAY 1, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/01/once-upon-time-musical-songs/

Two days before the highly anticipated hour, Once Upon a Time: The Musical Episode soundtrack will be released on iTunes Friday, May 5.
Here’s the tracklist:
1. “Powerful Magic” — Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas
2. “The Queen Sings” — Lana Parrilla, Lee Arenberg, Tony Amendola, Beverley Elliott, Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas
3. “Love Doesn’t Stand a Chance” — Lana Parrilla
4. “Revenge Is Gonna Be Mine” — Colin O’Donoghue, pirates
5. “Wicked Always Wins” — Rebecca Mader
6. “Charmings vs. Evil Queen” — Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas, Lana Parrilla
7. “Emma’s Theme” — Jennifer Morrison
8. “A Happy Beginning” — Jennifer Morrison, Colin O’Donoghue, Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas, Lana Parrilla, Rebecca Mader, Jared Gilmore, Once Upon a Time: The Musical Episode Chorus

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I hope both sides are satisfied.

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

OUaT spoilers...

Reveal hidden contents

Go to article to watch a sneak peek video of Hook singing his pirate song...
Hook's Song From the Once Upon a Time Musical Episode Is Here & It's a Swashbuckling Delight
by BILLY NILLES | Mon, May 1, 2017 5:48 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/847431/hook-s-song-from-the-once-upon-a-time-musical-episode-is-here-it-s-a-swashbuckling-delight

This video includes b-t-s filming of Emma and Zelena singing...
Once Upon a Time 6x20 Featurette "The Song in Your Heart" (HD) - Musical Episode

Once Upon a Time: Check out the full tracklist from upcoming musical
NATALIE ABRAMS   MAY 1, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/01/once-upon-time-musical-songs/

They really do love Regina the best of all, don't they? 

Spoiler

Three songs to Emma's one.

I like that they wrote the songs to the actors' voices.  Mozart did that too, which is why some of his arias are so hard for many singers to sing.  For example, the Queen of the Night's big number in the Magic Flute was written specifically to the strengths of the singer who was taking the role.

2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I hope both sides are satisfied.

They really do love Regina the best of all, don't they? 

Hide contents

Three songs to Emma's one.

I like that they wrote the songs to the actors' voices.  Mozart did that too, which is why some of his arias are so hard for many singers to sing.  For example, the Queen of the Night's big number in the Magic Flute was written specifically to the strengths of the singer who was taking the role.

Regina sings in 4 of the songs and Emma is in 2 but it's quite obvious who's preferred and it's a Goddamm shame.

3 hours ago, Delphi said:

Has the mobile site been jumpy for anyone else today?  Or is it just my phone acting buggy?

I find the mobile site is always jumpy these days on pages with a lot of embedded content.

• Love 5
(edited)

I would be upset if I was still watching.  It sounds like only Lana Parilla, Robert Carlyle, and Colin O'Donoghue are returning (assuming it's renewed), although I wonder how they're going to use Hook without Emma. 

Edited by Starfish35
Spelling
(edited)

Honestly, thats a good case for why a show should not be renewed.  Let it exit in dignity and in a way that gives the fans a good ending.  It's called Once Upon a Time.  Not giving Emma her happily ever after (which is pretty much what would happen if Hook stayed and she left) in a show built around fairy tales is near criminal.  (This the opinion of someone that hasn't watched any episodes from this season or finished last season)  It's the Castle debacle in the making all over again.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 10

Maybe they could get away with placing the ones that are left in another realm with different backstories or something. I don't think they should though. From what I'm seeing on Twitter, they're gearing up for the final battle. They should close the book with that.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah they're both out.

Which coincidentally were the three I needed to stay if I was going to continue to watch.  Ah,  such is life. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Is ABC's crop of pilots so weak that they can't let go of OUAT?

Given that even Quantico might get renewed, I think the magic eight ball says yes.  

• Love 3