Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On to shallower things.... I think I must be the only person who preferred Clooney's Batman to Bale's depressing Dark Knight.  And I'm going to stop posting when it past my bedtime. Yikes, those mistakes!

I won't judge you for that. I pretty much preferred all of the pre-Nolan Batmans to the drudgery of The Dark Knight series. I get that Batman is dark, but those movies were such a slog to get through. That said, I do think Clooney was the weakest of the 3 pre-Bale Batmans.

I think B&R could have been so much better! but i really do think Clooney did pretty decent considering the script was pretty bad.

About the attacks and terrorism in general.. there is not enough pages on this board for me to write my opinion and the causes to the current effects, I also know my opinion will probably piss off some of the United Staters on the board so...

• Love 1

One of Clooney's first movie roles, if not the first, after he broke big with ER was in Batman and Robin. So there is that. That being said, I don't see SA following the same trajectory.

Well, my nephews growing up loved that movie. 

FYI, Lucas Till has been cast as the new tv MacGyver...

CBS Finds Its New 'MacGyver' in 'X-Men' Star

MARCH 21, 2016 11:45am PT by Lesley Goldberg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/macgyver-lucas-star-cbs-pilot-877109

mcgyver.jpg

Are they trying to go for " I have the urge to punch his smug, smarmy face"?  Maybe his charm just isn't translating. 

I won't judge you for that. I pretty much preferred all of the pre-Nolan Batmans to the drudgery of The Dark Knight series. I get that Batman is dark, but those movies were such a slog to get through. That said, I do think Clooney was the weakest of the 3 pre-Bale Batmans.

I've not yet liked a live action Batman.  Clooney made an excellent Bruce Wayne, but his Batman wouldn't stop smiling and that was kind of a problem.  Still, that said, I liked him better than Kilmer or Keaton or the growly Bale.  Bale wasn't the worst, he just was IMO the least interesting thing in the Nolan movies and that's a problem. 

The Batman and Robin movie is one I watched many times (the nephews made me.  I've also seen a certain six episodes of the Rugrats about a 100 times) I think it actually gets judged incorrectly.  It's a big, colorful, live action cartoon.  When you look at it like that, it's a much better movie.  That said, they screwed up Batgirl bigtime.  Alfred's niece?  Oh hell no. 

I'm forever bitter that I paid actual money to go see a movie that was essentially 'Bruce Wayne in a Hole'. Good god Anne Hathaway and Cillian Murphy were the only things saving that shit show.

• Love 3

I'm a translator, and I feel for you.

Then you understand the pain. The worst thing is that I had everything lined up perfectly before the long weekend for Easter, so that I could hand all my projects in on time and actually relax for four days. And then this came like a slap to the face. It really made me question whether I want to renew my licence when the time comes.

Regarding what happened in Belgium... having grown up in a country where terrorist attacks are the norm those type of stuff don't shock me anymore. I'm actually a bit upset because when terrorist groups attack in the middle east no one says freakin anything!! but when it happens in Europe or the US suddenly the entire world has to mourn.

And while any life lost to idiotic extreme ideology is a tragedy, There is a part of me that is pissed off alot about this.

This thought has been bouncing around in my mind all day.  There is a lot of truth in that the world doesn't react the same for attacks in the middle east and absolutely that enough attention isn't given, but isn't it logical (in a cold, analytical way) for there  be more of a reaction over places where attacks and that kind of violence are not the norm? 

Isn't that what the world reacts to, another place and another group of people losing their innocence to what seems to be becoming a new world wide normal?  Isn't that why there is an out pouring of support, not to elevate their loss as deeper or more important, but to help the people it directly affected cope with a new terrifying reality that they haven't had the experience to cope with before?  

More should be done, much more, for places where it has become "normal", but should that translate as doing less for places were it hasn't become something that no longer shocks anyone?   

Batman and Robin was so, so bad.  There have only been two movies in my life where I've contemplated actually walking out, 1) Mortal Kombat 2 and Batman and Robin, both were painful to watch.

I walked out of a Gerard Butler movie which I really love Gerard Butler but the movie was so bad and just really bothered me. Probably wrong day...and almost walked out of Skyline which is the 2nd worst movie I have ever seen in a theater.

Daredevil is the tv version of what Marvel did with Iron Man. He gets two movies/seasons before and during the rest of the Defenders 1st season, then the team up movie/show, then they start again with phase 2. 

Moved from the Arrow Stars in Other Roles thread where I accidentally posted this early (very early) this morning. Sorry for any confusion.

So this is probably reopening a can of wiggly ones but just caught up with my The 100 viewing and honestly, I don't see what the fuss was about apart from people losing a beloved character and any BTS trolling.  She didn't die as a warrior but she also didn't die with her hands tied behind her back, it was more like with Sara where she was taken by surprise but then instead of bouncing her off the roof onto a trash bin, they were incredibly respectful and gave her a really poignant goodbye, not to mention I LOVE the twist that was fully revealed with her death even if I saw the twist coming since the previous episode. It's not a meaningless death at all and totally ties in the earlier seemingly unrelated part of the show and moves the plot forward. Could they have done it without killing her?  Maybe, but in this show people, major people die all the time.  Between the plot and the actress having a different gig, this death makes a lot of sense.

• Love 1

Moved from the Arrow Stars in Other Roles thread where I accidentally posted this early (very early) this morning. Sorry for any confusion.

So this is probably reopening a can of wiggly ones but just caught up with my The 100 viewing and honestly, I don't see what the fuss was about apart from people losing a beloved character and any BTS trolling. She didn't die as a warrior but she also didn't die with her hands tied behind her back, it was more like with Sara where she was taken by surprise but then instead of bouncing her off the roof onto a trash bin, they were incredibly respectful and gave her a really poignant goodbye, not to mention I LOVE the twist that was fully revealed with her death even if I saw the twist coming since the previous episode. It's not a meaningless death at all and totally ties in the earlier seemingly unrelated part of the show and moves the plot forward. Could they have done it without killing her? Maybe, but in this show people, major people die all the time. Between the plot and the actress having a different gig, this death makes a lot of sense.

http://wedeservedbetter.com/

This is a very long but comprehensive article detailing why people are pissed off.

• Love 2

I don't get why the creatives can't understand the history of the trope. I remember with Tara people were so bitter so this isn't new. Then again MG killed Sara in season 3 and retroactively had Sara and Nyssa have sex as their last moments together. But at least that was in the comics.

Edited by tarotx

This thought has been bouncing around in my mind all day.  There is a lot of truth in that the world doesn't react the same for attacks in the middle east and absolutely that enough attention isn't given, but isn't it logical (in a cold, analytical way) for there  be more of a reaction over places where attacks and that kind of violence are not the norm? 

Isn't that what the world reacts to, another place and another group of people losing their innocence to what seems to be becoming a new world wide normal?  Isn't that why there is an out pouring of support, not to elevate their loss as deeper or more important, but to help the people it directly affected cope with a new terrifying reality that they haven't had the experience to cope with before? 

I think part of that is true, that the terrorists are hitting new places but the Bader-Meinhoff gang terrorized Europe for years so it's not unknown.  Sadly, I think it's more of an "us vs them", that we don't think about the horrors in other parts of the world such as the Middle East or central Africa until it comes to our doorstep.  Even within our own countries, there's not much acknowledgement of the possibly 4,000 missing and murdered indigenous woman (Stephen Harper refused to set up an inquiry into them) or the need to tell people Black Lives Matter.  As long as Other People are the ones affected, we don't pay as much attention as we should.

I was listening to BBC radio and they had an analyst on who said that they were just going to have to go back to the days of when the IRA was bombing civilian sites in a war of terror, and learn to deal with the current situation.

• Love 2

So this is probably reopening a can of wiggly ones but just caught up with my The 100 viewing and honestly, I don't see what the fuss was about apart from people losing a beloved character and any BTS trolling.  She didn't die as a warrior but she also didn't die with her hands tied behind her back, it was more like with Sara where she was taken by surprise but then instead of bouncing her off the roof onto a trash bin, they were incredibly respectful and gave her a really poignant goodbye, not to mention I LOVE the twist that was fully revealed with her death even if I saw the twist coming since the previous episode. It's not a meaningless death at all and totally ties in the earlier seemingly unrelated part of the show and moves the plot forward. Could they have done it without killing her?  Maybe, but in this show people, major people die all the time.  Between the plot and the actress having a different gig, this death makes a lot of sense.

At this point I regret they ever brought Lexa on the show. I'm tired of this stuff.

At this point I regret they ever brought Lexa on the show. I'm tired of this stuff.

Same tbh. While the representation was great, I wasn't a fan of the 'brown face' as well as the cultural appropriation that was attached to her character (even then it's still a problem throughout the entire show), not only that but also how she and Clark basically took over the show in S3, and now apparently the fandom drama Lexa's death has caused... *sigh* 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

I have to say, the more I learn about daylight savings time, the more it confuses me. First it was that not everyone used it. Then you tell me Notth America switched to it last weekend. We're switching to it today.

• Love 4

I have to say, the more I learn about daylight savings time, the more it confuses me. First it was that not everyone used it. Then you tell me Notth America switched to it last weekend. We're switching to it today.

It used to be for farmers which makes sense. Now I'm being told it's for golfers which is just annoying because it messes up so many people's schedules and sometimes lives.

I really wish they would get rid of it everywhere.

• Love 1

I don't get why the creatives can't understand the history of the troupe. I remember with Tara people were so bitter so this isn't new. Then again MG killed Sara in season 3 and retroactively had Sara and Nyssa have sex as their last moments together. But at least that was in the comics.

I do think that part of the problem comes from show runners and writers viewing what they are doing from a different angle, that of using the love scenes to raise the stakes to a high so that the low hurts more for "drama"

I only sporadically watched Buffy so missed on any reaction to Tara's death and with Sara, I was too busy being pissed in general (and then relieved) to make the connection when they did the Nyssa/Sara reunion. I'd never heard of the trope before The 100 and I still thought the complaint was that  the timing of when then killed Lexa made her look weak when she was a warrior.  Guess not. 

Another part of the bigger problem in television is probably the lack of LGBT characters that are made part of that untouchable core cast on a show.  I can see how some were led to believe that was what Lexa was on The 100 despite not being part of the original cast. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I think it's more like popular, break-out characters rather than just parts of the main cast. And often canonically queer characters are only popular simply by the virtue of being queer (Ianto from Torchwood springs to mind). Lexa would be interesting even if she were straight, or, hell, even if she were male. So I can sorta understand the rage. But I'm still sick of this drama. I hope it won't influence the creative process too much, because if they'll suddenly make Clarke date only women from now on or (shudder) resurrect Lexa I'll be forever pissed off.

I think it's more like popular, break-out characters rather than just parts of the main cast.

On many other shows I might have had that reaction but The 100 has taught me that any character I really start to like is about to die.  Unless they are part of the original cast.  Lincoln might be the one exception and he was clearly set up to become a regular almost right away.   

On to a different topic.  There is a show that just ended on Friday called Second Chance.  I'd say it has about a .00001 percent chance of getting renewed but honestly, I thought it was a good solid show with a fantastic chemistry between the father and a grown up son (the twist being that the father got rebooted in a younger body) and I appreciated that the show almost wrapped everything up in the last episode (and was fearless in running through what probably would have been another season of build up).  It left an opening if by some miracle they were picked up but since I assume they are not, I'm going to ignore the shoe they've set to drop and just enjoy the eleven episode run and the closure that it pretty much gave.  It was a better show than it got credit for.  If it ever hits Netflix, I'd recommend it. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
The 100 has taught me that any character I really start to like is about to die.

I dunno, Murphy somehow didn't die and even became a regular, and I was interested him since season one. They also didn't kill Raven when she was a guest star. I really liked that Ice Nation dude who is from Black Sails, i believe? Although maybe he'll die yet.

I do think that part of the problem comes from show runners and writers viewing what they are doing from a different angle, that of using the love scenes to raise the stakes to a high so that the low hurts more for "drama"

I only sporadically watched Buffy so missed on any reaction to Tara's death and with Sara, I was too busy being pissed in general (and then relieved) to make the connection when they did the Nyssa/Sara reunion. I'd never heard of the trope before The 100 and I still thought the complaint was that the timing of when then killed Lexa made her look weak when she was a warrior. Guess not.

Another part of the bigger problem in television is probably the lack of LGBT characters that are made part of that untouchable core cast on a show. I can see how some were led to believe that was what Lexa was on The 100 despite not being part of the original cast.

I think the relationship itself was what people wanted because it cannot exactly be representation in this show when the main lead who probably won't die is a LGBT character.

Edited by akiss

I dunno, Murphy somehow didn't die and even became a regular, and I was interested him since season one. They also didn't kill Raven when she was a guest star. I really liked that Ice Nation dude who is from Black Sails, i believe? Although maybe he'll die yet.

Nooooooo he can't die on The 100!   Spoiler for Black Sails

Zach McGowan's character Charles Vane was just killed off in the penultimate episode of S3.  I need to see Charles Vane again and the one episode of The 100 that I did see with Zach McGowan he was basically playing Vane without the British Accent.  He needs to stay alive and become a series regular.  Charles Vane Lives!!!!

Batman and Robin was so, so bad. There have only been two movies in my life where I've contemplated actually walking out, 1) Mortal Kombat 2 and Batman and Robin, both were painful to watch.

I actually liked Clooney as the Batman but the movie overall was poor.

• Love 1

Haven't watched the latest episode yet but I like Paula, she is a bit too into Rebecca's life but still like her. I didn't like her as an antagonist in the Pilot but when she became a friend at the end I was really happy.

I love the musical numbers so even when I find a character annoying, "oh my god, I can believe that did that," the musical numbers bring me back.

• Love 1

I think we're supposed to pity Paula, but the show's smart enough to let the viewers draw their own conclusions.

I'm a bit mad at her after the latest episode, but I overall like all the characters except for maybe Josh because he's honestly kinda boring. It's like... things happen around him but he barely does anything himself.

Not sure if anyone has commented on the movie yet... but I saw Allegiant the other day with my niece for her birthday. Overall it was an enjoyable movie with some neat special effects. Not a stellar film, but an decent way to spend 2 hours with some good popcorn.

However, for people who read the books, if you are very invested in the story Roth set-up I would advise you to go in with a very open mind because they went very off the beaten path in the movie. As the credits rolled the one thought I had was that the movie was absolute FanFiction. It was literally a big screen adaptation of an Allegiant fanfiction. It used the "based upon" very very loosely.

ETA - Watching Flash and it reminded me that I forgot to say that actor who plays Iris's brother had a role in the movie as one of the head soldiers of the leaders. I think he might have had 1 or 2 words of dialogue, but it was nice to see someone from the Flarrowverse on the big screen.

Edited by kismet

Is anyone else having problems with the forum today, or is it just me? It seems to be really slow, everytime I try to post or open a thread. Anyone else having issues?

It stopped working for me and crashed for a little bit, but it started working again.

I have a question for the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend watchers: am I supposed to like Paula? What do you think of her? 

Since we're at it, what characters you like/don't like? :)

I love Paula.  She's sometimes a bit over the top but then in this show who isn't. I like that they've allowed her to be fleshed out as a character and that means she does not always make the best choices and she is way too set on Josh Chan as end game for me, but she's so super loyal and supportive and I love watching her refind passion and happiness in her own life as a by product of having found a passionate interest in Rebecca's life.  Like she just needed something to ignite her mind and spirit again.  I adore their conversations and how Paula usually has been the voice of truth in the show.  Not always since like I said, she's a bit too focused on epic true love with Josh to the point of being blinded by who else it effects but that just adds layers to her character IMO.   

I haven't watched the latest episode so she could be in the dog house but she'd have to do something serial killer level before I'd stop loving her. 

• Love 1

I thought it was a problem with my connection, haha.

As for Crazy Ex, true, every character is over the top, but I really had an issue with what Paula did in the latest episode. I do appreciate that she usually is the one to tell Rebecca how it is and that she is always in her corner, but I hope this latest instance is the last we see of her acting a certain way.

• Love 1

I have a question for the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend watchers: am I supposed to like Paula? What do you think of her? 

Since we're at it, what characters you like/don't like? :)

I love Donna Lynn Champlin's performance and I really like Paula when she's focused on things other than Josh. But when it comes to Josh, she's a complete psycho, and she deserved to have Rebecca read her the riot act for what she did on Monday night's episode. I know she gave an explanation for why she's so obsessive about the Josh thing, but I hope there's more to it than that, because normal people simply do not act that way about someone else's romantic relationships.

I'm pretty curious to see how Empire's ratings hold up when it returns tonight. There doesn't seem to be as much buzz about the show lately, but maybe I just haven't been looking too closely.

Jarrett Wiesman said on Twitter today that he doesn't remember a single thing that happened in the first half of the season, and neither do I. I'll be watching, but if the second half of the season isn't significantly better than the first, I'll probably bail before too long. Whatever magic the show had in Season 1 was noticeably absent (to me) in the first part of Season 2. Keeping my fingers crossed for better!

• Love 1

Ya'll, I'm stuck in a meeting that will not end until the wee hours of the morning, and I missed Arrow and I hate my life and please send good vibes or an assassin to put me out my misery before I flip a table at the stupidity that I not only have to listen to but also record since I'm a note taker. 

Whew! Just needed to get that out. 

• Love 3

I'm pretty curious to see how Empire's ratings hold up when it returns tonight. There doesn't seem to be as much buzz about the show lately, but maybe I just haven't been looking too closely.

Not sure how it will hold up in ratings... but I assume they will be good or at least Empire's average. They will get the buzz back. All I know is it was trending way before it aired EST and long after with 397K tweets as of 1130p. People are on that juggernaut whether FOX promotes it or not. And luckily it held up. That was one juicy hour of TV that refreshed our memories just enough and reset the chess pieces. Cookie is back which makes me very happy. It's been way too many Wednesdays without Cookie :)

I'm sending Nyssa, she'll be there shortly, the LoA express plane works wonders.

Thank you! We finished at 2 am. Back today at 10:30 am with no end in sight. Today's supposed to be our last day, though. I'm becoming skeptical. Fingers crossed. 

(edited)

I'm starting to think JRoth takes revenge on actors who get better paying jobs as regulars/leads on other shows, by killing their characters in the most tropey gross problematic way he can find.

Edited by dtissagirl