Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I was never a huge fan of Rachel, but I liked her fine at the start. Now, I'm just not a fan. I hated where they took Rachel last season and I'm glad they have gotten back from that, but I don't feel her character works that well with the others. She doesn't feel in their league.

I used to really enjoy Mike and Harvey, but like Rachel I hated where they took Mike. It made me lose some interest in him. I kind of wanted to smack him to many times.

I wish Katrina had stayed because she had the potential to make Mike interesting again. I also think her character could have really worked with the others.

Harvey, Donna, Jessica and Louis are my reasons for enjoying the show.

Beauty & the Beast is an old love of me. I like the Emma Watson casting, but I don't understand Dan Stevens.

Things that make you go 'huh?' (it's hard to think of EW as an adult)...

Dan Stevens cast opposite Emma Watson in Beauty and the Beast

The former Downton Abbey actor will play the Beast in Disney's live-action take on its 1993 animated musical

By Kat Brown9:03AM GMT 05 Mar 2015

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/disney/11451048/Dan-Stevens-cast-opposite-Emma-Watson-in-Beauty-and-the-Beast.html

Huh, indeed. But then again the guy who played Rob Stark is Prince Charming in the new "Cinderella" movie.

I liked Rachel and then last season happened where they essentially ruined her for me. It's gotten to the point where I fast forward her scenes even with Mike and anything she does is just annoying. 

I don't like Mike anymore either, he doesn't even seem like a main character anymore. I'm tired of the risk of his secret being leaked, and his drama isn't fun anymore. 

What I do like is Louis and where they took his character this season, Donna and how she's being proactive as hell, Harvey and his feelings for Donna being explicitly shown. Jessica was boring when they made her arc just about being the love interest to that guy whose name I can't remember (yeah he didn't leave a good impression). But hopefully now that he's out of the picture, we can see her kick ass again. 

AND AHHH I wish Katrina came back! I thought her scenes with Mike and Louis were so awesome. She managed to be a more integral character on the show than Rachel in a few short scenes. Katrina was interesting, I was hoping that she and Mike would've gotten together at one point because she made Mike interesting. I'm sort of bitter about her leaving tbqh

I don't like Mike anymore either, he doesn't even seem like a main character anymore. I'm tired of the risk of his secret being leaked, and his drama isn't fun anymore. 

Oh my gosh.  I gave up shortly after Amanda Schull joined the show because every season seemed like "who will find out Mike's secret?"  It felt like it was always the same story over and over, so I can't believe that they still haven't moved on from that.  But if things between Donna and Harvey are heating up, maybe I'll tune back in for a while.

Maybe it's because I didn't see the HP films but if Daniel Radcliffe can do it, so can Emma Watson.

There's a link on that page to a headline "Ryan Reynolds Says His Baby Is Allergic to Sleep"

Parents everywhere laugh.

Rachel is the Laurel Lance of Suits for me. I just tune out when she's on. Love Donna though.

Yes.  I don't mind her with Louis strangely enough but it was the constant propping of her character as the bestest evah and boring OTP with Mike that got me.  The endless "Oh, noes, X will find out about Mike" is what drove me from the show, along with the lack of logic in storylines  (why couldn't Rachel go to Standford and take Mike with her to get a law degree?  Why wouldn't he stay at the financial place?)

But if Donna and Harvey are getting their act together, I'll check it out again. Donna and Jessica -- two awesome women who don't need to wear a mask and costume to be kickass.

• Love 1
(edited)

As a huge X-Files fan, I found it interesting to see how many of these guest stars I remembered (Shia LaBeauf?!  Jack Black!  Ryan Reynolds!)...

The X-Files: 15 Guest Stars Who Made It Big

Laura Hurley  March 3, 2015

http://whatculture.com/tv/the-x-files-15-guest-stars-who-made-it-big.php

I can not agree with that list.  Mark Sheppard should be number 1, while he's not as big of a star as others, he's Mark freaking Sheppard.

I don't care about Donna and Harvey, I'd much rather see Donna and Louis.

Edited by Jediknight

Things that make you go 'huh?' (it's hard to think of EW as an adult)...

Dan Stevens cast opposite Emma Watson in Beauty and the Beast

The former Downton Abbey actor will play the Beast in Disney's live-action take on its 1993 animated musical

By Kat Brown9:03AM GMT 05 Mar 2015

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/disney/11451048/Dan-Stevens-cast-opposite-Emma-Watson-in-Beauty-and-the-Beast.html

Well this might make me actually forgive Dan Stevens for leaving downton Abbey. I don't know how their chemistry will match but it should be interesting to watch it play out. Tbh I question Emma Watson casting more than I do dan Stevens. Can't see her as belle especially if its musical adaptation. But I'm hopeful they'll make it all work.

I keep seeing stuff about Bulletproof coffee on BR's twitter page, so I looked it up.  It contains butter and oil.  I don't drink coffee, but that sounds effing terrible!

It's the new big thing in coffee. I've had it in a few independent coffee shops. You don't taste the butter or the coconut oil. It just tastes very creamy, like someone added heavy cream instead of milk to your coffee. I didn't think I would like it either but it is very good.  The fat in the butter is suppose to help prevent the after coffee crash you get when the caffeine wears off. I don't know if that is true but since coffee is pretty much a food group to me and most days the only way I get out of bed it was interesting enough to try.

Here is an article on it if anyone is interested. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/22/butter-in-coffee-bulletproof_n_5851456.html

I wish Katrina had stayed because she had the potential to make Mike interesting again. I also think her character could have really worked with the others.

Amanda Schull is in a better place, now, I assure you. 

Suits is a quintessential USA show, in my opinion. First season is bags of fun and wit, never too heavy. Summer fluff. Second season is similar, but they seem to want to invest a bit more gravitas. Third season? Oh dear. The writers seem to think they're producing serious drama, that has to be gritty and full of morally compromised assholes.

I think this is exactly the same timeline I've seen with every show I've watched on USA, and it's so predictable that I don't even bother watching their new shows any more. I know that by the middle of season 3, I'll hate it and all the characters on it.

Anyway, I liked Jenny, and thought the way they got rid of her was cheap and didn't honour the plot of the first season. I liked Rachel more when she interacted with Louis and Donna than with Mike. And I fucking loathed the idea of Harvey/Donna, so it sounds like it was a good thing I checked out. Seeing Donna reduced to fawning over that douchenozzle would have been too much for me.

• Love 1

Jenny was kind of insignificant to me at the beginning, but I grew to really love the character after she got together with Mike and hated how they dispensed of her for Rachel. Rachel had potential, but she was always so snooty, judgmental and snarky and never showed much warmth. I stopped watching Suits in Season 3 when everybody stopped acting like people and just like walking-talking snarky lawyer machines. I also loathe the idea of Harvey/Donna. Are they actually going the romantic route with them now?

Glad to hear that it is sounding like Harrison Ford is recovering from that plane crash earlier today.  After Leonard Nimoy, I don't think I could handle losing both Spock and Han Solo this close together.

In happier news, this miniseries that AMC and BBC One are doing, The Night Manager, sure is peaking my interest.  First, by getting Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. And, now, it looks like Broadchurch's Olivia Coleman will be in to (added bonus: Tom Hollander as well.)  That's a lot of talented Brits!

• Love 2
(edited)

Some interesting news articles I came across...

This article link was recently retweeted by Gail Simone (partially agree):
We've Forgotten the Strong Female Character
by Tricia Ennis  January 19, 2015
http://triciaennis.com/weve-forgotten-the-strong-female-character/

This article link was tweeted by Laurel Brown (no surprise):
WGA Study: Most Jobs Go To White Guys in Their 40s
by David Robb  March 3, 2015 2:44pm 
http://deadline.com/2015/03/women-minority-older-tv-writing-jobs-fewer-wga-report-2014-1201385425/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

For me a strong woman character is one that can bring vulnerability and strength to that character. So when we see them cry we don't see them as weak, we see them as human. Strength doesn't always come from kicking ass, it comes from the character showing strength in all aspects of their life. I saw that in Sara and Felicity, Lagertha on Vikings and Peggy on Agent Carter. 

• Love 6

I was never a huge fan of Rachel, but I liked her fine at the start. Now, I'm just not a fan. I hated where they took Rachel last season and I'm glad they have gotten back from that, but I don't feel her character works that well with the others. She doesn't feel in their league.

I didn't like the thing they did with her last season either but it always felt like manufactured angst so once it was over I was able to move on too.  She's Mike's love interest so no, she's not in the same league as the other movers and shakers in the firm but I've never had a problem with that.  She's always been the clever researcher and hard worker, important behind the scenes but not pulling the dramatic rabbits out of a hat and that's fine.  The show has enough geniuses, plus her role has always been tied to Mike's emotional growth and support and while that doesn't make Rachel a compelling character, it isn't enough for me to dislike her.   She and Mike (when they are a working couple, which is now the go to move) are better human beings together so I'm good.  She hasn't been snarky or judgmental in a long time. 

The thing with Donna and Harvey is interesting.  I would have hated if they went for a romance while she was working for him but I really liked where their relationship was left, with Donna deciding working for him wasn't working for her anymore.  Harvey has always been afraid of jeopardizing their working relationship (amongst other egomaniacal issues he suffered) and now she's taken that off the table but not with the outright expectations of being with him, it was about what she needed and wanted independent of Harvey.  I have my fingers crossed that they won't mess this up. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This article link was recently retweeted by Gail Simone (partially agree):

We've Forgotten the Strong Female Character

by Tricia Ennis  January 19, 2015

http://triciaennis.com/weve-forgotten-the-strong-female-character/

I read this from The Cut the other day and think it's somewhat related: "On Being a Badass"

It talks about women in business mainly, but the same sentiment that 'strength' has been traditionally defined in masculine terms and reliant solely on what it means to be physically strong. It's why writing for well-rounded female characters are so hard to come by; because their strength comes from their physical capability instead of actual character qualities.

Edited by Tangerine
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm betting the endgame for this show will not be a couple but a triple since they are making Bo's other love interest (among other more casual meals) Dyson- the werewolf get more "friendly" with Lauren. At least it makes her more interesting. Though since that fun scene involved Lauren hammered, chances are she'll go back to being dull and in the way.

I think it is big in Japan. It's mostly campy fun. Has one one the best BFF relationships ever shown on TV. Kenzi is awesome.

It's one of the most fanatical fandoms, beating even the Swan Queen shippers. I think Lauren is as dull as beige paint but it's girl/girl, and even better that Bo dropped her boyfriend to be with Lauren. And then she broke up with Lauren. But the three of them ending up together makes sense, especially since Bo is a succubus and needs more than the average girl.

I think it will end up with the three of them together too. I didn't think so at first, but they showed Lauren and Dyson getting a lot closer last season, so I think it's going that way. I couldn't see that happening on most shows, but Lost Girl is not most shows, and they've made a point of demonstrating that Bo, as a succubus, is not actually physically capable of being monogamous without causing literal harm to herself or her partner.

And I agree. I find Bo/Lauren completely dull, but Dyson makes Lauren more interesting, so I could deal with a threesome better than I could just Bo/Lauren.

I'm mainly just here for the friendshipping between Bo and Kenzi though. Kenzi is the best. :)

(I keep typing Laurel instead of Lauren *facepalm*)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

Did Kenzi come back yet? I sort of napped through the first episode after she left, and then I quit mid-way through another because I was bored out of my mind. Then I sort of completely forgot about this show. So I guess I really only watched for Kenzi. :)

(edited)

Ha, I have no idea. :) Has the show even come back yet? I'm a Netflix viewer, since I don't have a way to watch it otherwise unless I buy it.

ETA: Apparently it premieres in the US on April 17. But maybe it's already started in Canada? I don't know.

http://tvline.com/2015/03/03/syfy-bitten-season-2-lost-girl-final-season/

ETA2: Never mind - reading the comments on that article above, apparently the first half of the season has already aired in Canada.

Edited by Starfish35

Ha, I have no idea. :) Has the show even come back yet? I'm a Netflix viewer, since I don't have a way to watch it otherwise unless I buy it.

ETA: Apparently it premieres in the US on April 17. But maybe it's already started in Canada? I don't know.

http://tvline.com/2015/03/03/syfy-bitten-season-2-lost-girl-final-season/

ETA2: Never mind - reading the comments on that article above, apparently the first half of the season has already aired in Canada.

Oh man, I hope I haven't spoiled you. Sorry! I watch all my TV online, I never remember this airs in Canada first. But yeah, Showcase aired the first 8 episodes of S5 back in December/January. Kenzi spoiler:

I read somewhere Ksenia Solo is in 6 or so episodes -- out of 16 this season, but I don't know which episodes she's in after the first 4, 'cause that's when I quit.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh man, I hope I haven't spoiled you. Sorry! I watch all my TV online, I never remember this airs in Canada first. But yeah, Showcase aired the first 8 episodes of S5 back in December/January. Kenzi spoiler:

I read somewhere Ksenia Solo is in 6 or so episodes -- out of 16 this season, but I don't know which episodes she's in after the first 4, 'cause that's when I quit.

Oh no, don't worry, I don't care about being spoiled. :)

Well drat. I was sure they'd bring Kenzi back. Huh. I'm not sure if I'm interested in watching the final season now. I wasn't that into the show anyway, and she was my favorite character. :( I guess I'll see how bored I am whenever the final season finally hits Netflix.

IMDB only lists her as being in the first two episodes, so if she's in six, the last four are apparently in the last half of the season.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Oh no, don't worry, I don't care about being spoiled. :)

Well drat. I was sure they'd bring Kenzi back. Huh. I'm not sure if I'm interested in watching the final season now. I wasn't that into the show anyway, and she was my favorite character. :( I guess I'll see how bored I am whenever the final season finally hits Netflix.

IMDB only lists her as being in the first two episodes, so if she's in six, the last four are apparently in the last half of the season.

Kenzi is the best

and she is missed,

but I enjoyed Tamsin (sp?) quite a bit this season. Rachel Skarsten picked up the some of the comedy slack. 

• Love 1

I think Ksenio Solo is the best actor on the show but I agree, Rachel Skarsten is pretty enjoyable to watch.

I liked it the first two seasons, and it was okay the third but I thought the fourth season was mess, from the start to Hale's unnecessary death.  Is season five worth tuning in for?

Because chocolate is so important, here's a list of ethical chocolates.  (I admit to a weakness for Green & Black.)

http://nochildforsale.ca/ethical_chocolate/.

(edited)

Kenzi is the best

and she is missed,

but I enjoyed Tamsin (sp?) quite a bit this season. Rachel Skarsten picked up the some of the comedy slack. 

I hated Rachel Skarsten when she was on Birds of Prey.  Could not stand her as a child actor, even looking at her face bugged me (and made me feel guilty cause she was just a teen and if I was thinking it, I imagined others were saying it) but she has been great as Tamsin.  I even accidentally named my cat after her character (it was supposed to be a temporary name for a temporary kitten, oops)

I liked Tamsin in her first season well enough but in her second when she kind of started over, she was so adorable with Kenzi, that I leaped to loving her character.

I liked it the first two seasons, and it was okay the third but I thought the fourth season was mess, from the start to Hale's unnecessary death.  Is season five worth tuning in for?

Poor Hale.  :(  Poor Kenzi!  I get mixed up which season was which anymore but yeah, the show has struggled sometimes and even from the early days, they've had some of the worst action battle sequences, so laughable that while watching I thought the characters were under some kind of play acting spell, but it also has Dyson shirtless (and frequently pants-less so that helps even things out).  Plus it's the last season.  Might as well finish it up.  

Maybe Hale will come back and do the spinoff with Sara?  They need some diversity over on that project.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

So I started watching Misfits this weekend, on Netflix.

What a wonderfully fun, witty, engaging show. Some really lively, charismatic performances from a talented young cast, gloriously dark humour and moments of genuine emotion to undercut it. This is what television should be like, especially television that aspires to be challenging to the audience.

For all you Americans who haven't heard of it, it's a British show about a group of teenage miscreants who are caught in a strange storm while doing community service, and all get superpowers. But superpowers that are unreliable and occasionally unhelpful. Like the girl who incites uncontrollable lust in anyone she touches, and the guy who can rewind time in moments of stress (which makes breaking up with his girlfriend very difficult, because every time he does it and she cries, he panics and ends up back in the minutes before he dumped her. Heh).

It's very adult in nature too, and it's been a while since I saw being a teenage tearaway as such an attractive proposition.

• Love 1

I loved first 2 seasons of Misfits. I will say it's different than any teen show you'd see in America, or course seeing Skins (another British teen show) showed me that. They were going to try to make an American version of Misfits, I'm glad they didn't. 

I only watched the episodes with Simon, Alisha, and Nathan. *sigh* Simon and Alisha were great. Such a tragic story.

As for Skins, I only watched the first gen and second gen. I stopped after what they did to Freddie and don't get me started on what they did to Chris. 

(edited)

I couldn't get into the third gen of Skins. The characters were not interesting. Agreed on Chris and Freddie. Of course the actors go better jobs, Game Of Thrones is like Skins and Misfits reunion. 

Did anyone watch the 3 new episodes they did about Effy, Cook and Cassie? Where they promptly killed another relationship. 

Edited by Sakura12

I loved first 2 seasons of Misfits. I will say it's different than any teen show you'd see in America, or course seeing Skins (another British teen show) showed me that. They were going to try to make an American version of Misfits, I'm glad they didn't. 

Agreed on both accounts. I didn't watch anything past the second series. 

I only watched the episodes with Simon, Alisha, and Nathan. *sigh* Simon and Alisha were great. Such a tragic story.

Well I won't be looking forward to that. Simon is fucking creepy, most of the time. And not because he's quiet and introverted, but because he seems genuinely dangerous when he loses his temper. The idea of him and Alisha together just makes me genuinely uncomfortable, given the episode I watched last night that showed him eating a sandwich while staring at the frozen corpse of a woman he killed.

Nathan is my favourite character by far, even though he's a prick. Robert Sheehan's performances are so much fun, and he manages to keep the character from feeling like a clown, with that edge he always gives him.

(edited)

Simon does change a bit before him and Alisha, I won't spoil it, but it won't be what you expect. This isn't American tv, their game changers actually turn the game upside down. 

Nathan was the entire reason I watched the show, that's why I only watched 2 seasons. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

TV critic and podcaster Ryan McGee posted some rather pointed tweets recently in response to the news that Sony was going to make a new guy-centric Ghostbusters action comedy with male stars (source), following last year's news that Sony was going to make a femme-centric Ghostbusters reboot with female stars (source).  The explanation is that the Ghostbusters universe is being expanded.  Apparently, there were a lot of fan complaints about the reboot being all women.

Ryan McGee @TVMcGee  ·  12h 12 hours ago
After today's "guy-themed" #Ghostbusters news, I half-expect to see Jane's abeula replaced by her abuelo tonight. #JaneTheVirgin
Ryan McGee retweeted
Sam Adams @SamuelAAdams  ·  14h 14 hours ago
So Sony capitulates to totalitarian hackers, ousts female co-chair, then panders to whiny Ghostbusters fanboys. Gold stars all round.
Ryan McGee @TVMcGee  ·  15h 15 hours ago
Rated GT for "Guy-Themed" by the Motion Picture Association Of America
Marvel to launch "Agent Jimmy Carter" series set in the Male Marvel Cinematic Universe (MMCU)
HBO to launch all-male #Girls
"A dark, gritty remake of 'Bridesmaids,' only it's BROS THIS TIME." -Some ahole in Hollywood, right now, probably

https://twitter.com/tvmcgee

Jesse Carp, who writes for CinemaBlend, tweeted these responses:

Jesse Carp @jessecarp  ·  12h 12 hours ago
Make a successful film before you make an expanded universe.
Jesse Carp @jessecarp  ·  15h 15 hours ago
I'd prefer GHOSTBUSTERS: VAGINAS and GHOSTBUSTERS: PENISES.
Ugh. They're actually going to use GH♀STBUSTERS and GH♂STBUSTERS, aren't they?
GHOSTBUSTERS: BATTLE OF THE SEXES

https://twitter.com/jessecarp

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5

I think I posted previously that Starz was producing a new Evil Dead series, to be called Ash vs. Evil Dead, and starring Bruce Campbell as Ash.  Well, yesterday the news came out that Lucy Lawless will be in this new spinoff!

Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert somehow land Lucy Lawless for 'Evil Dead' series
By Daniel Fienberg  @HitFixDaniel | MONDAY, MAR 9, 2015 4:51 PM
http://www.hitfix.com/the-dartboard/sam-raimi-and-rob-tapert-somehow-land-lucy-laweless-for-evil-dead-series

• Love 2

Anyone watching the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

The theme song is so catchy. 

UNBREAKABLE THEY 'LIVE DAMMIT, IT'S A MIRACLE. UNBREAKABLE, THEY 'LIVE DAMMIT, THE FEMALES ARE STRONG AS HELL :p

When we find out who the Reverend was I couldn't stop laughing :p 

• Love 4

Thanks, I just got that song out of my head!

Being a Mad Man fan seeing the Reverend and Kimmy's half sister was great. I usually find the smiling optimistic characters annoying, but Ellie Kemper is really selling it for me. Plus I like that she's not always that way. She's got great facial expressions.

Yes! I finished the first season over the weekend, and started it over again last night. 30 Rock is one of my all time favorites, so I'm not surprised I loved it so much.

The theme song has been in my head for days, and I'm not even mad. ooooooooooooooo, damnit!

• Love 1

We were just talking about Rachel Skarsten on Lost Girl. She's been cast as the young Queen Elizabeth on Reign.

http://tvline.com/2015/03/10/reign-rachel-skarsten-queen-elizabeth-season-2-cast/

I really liked Rachel as Tamsin. I remember I really couldn't stand her as Dinah on Birds of Prey - the bratty teen character usually never goes over well with me. But recently I rewatched a few episodes and it seems like she wasn't as bad as I'd remembered. Either I'm mellowing in my "old age", or Tamsin softened me toward the character. :)

• Love 2

Man, it takes some doing to make Fox look like the good guys. Goffman royally screwed up that show, to the extent that I barely managed the first half of season 2. Too many bland, pretty white people taking up too much screen time, and the actual interesting characters being shuffled off to the side. Hope that guy never gets another show to run.

• Love 1

I would have put Arrow and Sleepy Hollow in similar categories this season, with the executive producer determined to push through his agenda in spite of multiple criticisms of the show and complaints that what worked in s1 (Ichabod/Abbie banter, Jenny, Irving) wasn't getting enough attention. With Goffman, it was Katrina and Henry taking centre stage, with Arrow, it's writing for costumes and Laurel over Team Arrow.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 9

I hope the door hits Goffman on the way out. He ran that show into the ground, and it has only improved when they only started digging their way out when they started trying to undue his mistakes (most notably, his never ending love for Katrina). I know he`s been hired to oversee another show or two for FOX, and I highly doubt I`ll be watching them. 

I love it! I just got my sister hooked, and we are finishing the show together. It`s just the slice of weird, quirky fun I need this TV season, while still having a lot of real emotion behind it. And it has possibly the catchiest theme song...ever. 

Edited by tennisgurl

My frustration with this show grows exponentially.   They give you three or four new episodes, then make you wait three weeks for the next one.    Ditto for The Flash (which hasn't aired a new episode since February 17).   It kills the momentum and makes me feel foolish to keep having to check to see if it's airing this week.

Actually a lot of shows pull this shit now.   I suppose I'm at a disadvantage, having come up in an era when television seasons lasted 22 episodes that ran fairly consecutively from late September to late May, with only a Christmas hiatus.

You would think that in an era when "binge watching" is becoming more and more popular, shows would do everything they can to avoid lengthy interruptions.

Bringing this over from the episode thread. I wouldn't blame the EPs or the "shows" for the scheduling, as they really have no control over it. It's a network issue. The network determines the number of episodes each show will produce, and they determine when those will air. As evidenced by the fact that The CW really messed with AK/MG's plan for 118/318. (Some cable nets may be more collaborative/deferential to their showrunners, but that is not how broadcast nets work.)

That said, I'm not sure when in television history shows consistently aired with only one hiatus--at least in the US. 22 episodes* stretched over 8 months (late Sep-late May, as you say) means around 3 months of off-time in that period. So unless the shows stopped immediately after November sweeps and didn't start up again until February sweeps...but even then, they would have had somewhere between 2-4 weeks to burn off before May sweeps. (*Some series, especially sitcoms, used to produce 25 or more episodes, before 22 became standard, so maybe that made their hiatuses seem shorter.)

Personally, having been a pretty obsessive TV watcher since I was a kid in the 80s, I always remember TV being like this. In fact, I think things might finally be getting a little better, overall, in terms of scheduling. I do think binge-watching, the near-universality of cable subscriptions, the breakdown of the traditional schedule (Sep-May), etc., have made networks a little smarter about taking millions of breaks. Lost, for example, had a really frustrating schedule for a few seasons, and I think ABC got a lot of crap about that from fans, critics, and probably the producers of the show too. Since then--except in instances of a network bouncing a show around because it's failing and it's low priority--I can't remember seeing that kind of carelessness when it comes to breaks.

• Love 3

To me it seems like they are taking more breaks then before. I understand the Christmas break or if the episode airs on or around a Holiday or if some event like the Olympics is on. But they've started taking month long breaks like this one between February and March or they air an episode one week, skip a week or two then start up again. It is getting harder to figure out when the show is airing. 

For the regular Networks so concerned with ratings, they have to know that random breaks do not help. People forget when the show's coming back or stop checking if the show hasn't been on for weeks. Especially when the cable shows don't do that.