Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I still have an hour of 2014 on the west coast, but Happy New Year! 2014 kinda sucked for me but Arrow, this board, (and TWOP) and all the lovely posters here gave me something fun (and sometimes frustrating) to focus on. I wish for a fun 2015 with lots more discussions and a wonderful way for me to ignore doing my job at work. :D

• Love 5
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was very sad to hear about Edward Hermann.  He was a wonderful actor in so many of his parts but yeah, I'll always have a soft spot for him as Richard Gilmore in Gilmore Girls.  There are just some shows that stay with you and keep going in your mind.  I'm sad for the real man's family but I can't help also think of Emily, Rory and Lorelai. :(

Side note, I was reading a lovely write up about him and they mentioned in real life his son's name is Rory.  The coincidence made me smile. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I posted some pics of Emily I found on Tumblr in the Behind the Mask thread - figured this discussion would be best here. Anyone know why people seem to think she cut her hair? I first saw speculation about it when she posted a selfie on Instagram of herself in a hat, but she's since posted pics where you can see her hair is still long. Are there other pics somewhere where it looks short? Because the ones in the BtM thread just look to me like she's got it tied back in a bun or something with the longer pieces in the front hanging out.

I didn't realize how much of a geek I am until I read this article and realized I agree with 6 of this guy's 11 resolutions. 

My Resolutions To Being A Better Geek In 2015
By Dennis Upkins  01/01/2015
http://comicbook.com/2014/12/30/15-resolutions-to-being-a-better-geek-in-2015/

7. On a similar note, I will try not to root for Big Bads on Arrow. But the show did cast John Barrowman, Kelly Hu, Katrina Law and Manu Bennett in those roles, so what am I expected to do?
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Yikes!  I haven't been paying attention to that new Sleepy Hollow stuff.  That just sounds bad!  It actually makes me want to take back some of the stuff I've said about this show, because I don't think even Arrow has sunk to that level yet (of course, with Ollie being "dead", who knows what changes that's going to bring..)  I really can't figure it out.  I don't think this is just a case of internet fans being vocal.  During Christmas, I was talking with my sister who is someone who watches SH and is generally casual about her TV viewings, and even she was complaining about too much Katrina and not enough Abbie.  I really think a lot of casual viewers are going to be annoyed by this, if it keeps up.

To leave on a brighter note, already about done with the first season of Leverage, and it's proving to be an excellent choice.  One of the few shows were I actually like the entire team.  Really great casting, and every characters get a moment to shine.  Can't wait to see where this is going!

• Love 1

^I saw the movie years ago, and was left utterly unmoved and baffled as to why people raved about it. The convolutedness of the plot would have been fine, if it hadn't also been incredibly boring. Hard to pay attention to seemingly minor plot points when you're wondering what else is on.

I'll probably give the show a chance though, because there is so little decent scifi on nowadays, that you just need to try and find something to like.

I'm going to skip 12 Monkeys.  It sounds and looks relentlessly grey and depressing.  I'm sick of zombies and massive viruses threatening the universe.  I have issues with Defiance but at least it is a unique world looking forward rather than another grim stare down with imminent species death. 

• Love 1

I've been rewatching "Fringe," another Kurtzman/Orci production. It's one of those shows that IMO benefits from a marathon viewing; the convoluted twists and turns make more sense. And though I did not "ship" Olivia and Peter, I appreciate how their relationship/romance was handled. Like now, I'm in the third season and every episode since Olivia's return from the other universe has dealt with the consequences of Peter's relationship with Fauxlivia. There are obstacles in their path to getting together but they feel organic, because they're based on the characters' history, feelings, personality. (I can only hope "Arrow" takes note).

• Love 1

Fringe had the advantage of the relationship blocker being the alternate version of the woman he's in love with. Not some random person thrown in the mix for no other purpose but to be a shipper block. Plus Fauxlivia had a reason for pretending to be OurOlivia and confusing poor Peter. It wasn't random and was part of the major storyline. Arrow is just using shipper block because reasons or to introduce new heroes they can play with. I don't even know if they are all that interested in telling Oliver's story anymore. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Helix returns on January 16th, too.  The first season was ridiculous and Billy Campbell's perpetual whisper is definitely ridiculous, but I find ridiculous sci fi entertaining.  I'm really hoping that the very pretty Balleseros is returning because he's not on the cast page on Syfy's Helix page :( 

BBC America looks like it has some really great shows coming this year.  The Musketeers is returning in January, Broadchurch S2 is coming in March, Ripper Street S3 is returning sometime in early 2015, Luther will have a two-part event sometime this year, and there are a few new shows that look interesting.  I'm excited!

I'm excited for the new season of Episodes on Jan 11. It's a great show seeing the probably not that much exaggerated look at the TV Business. Also Matt LeBlanc found his calling playing Matt LeBlanc. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I love Carol. Kathleen Rose Perkins is brilliant at playing the selfish network drone that loves talking about herself. 

She's fantastic. One of the many great women who have appeared on my screen over the past few years. And (sadly this is the norm) one of the few that hasn't been ruined by the show's writers.

I love Matt LeBlanc, and I like Stephen Mangan, but I've never been keen on Tamsin Greig, and this show does little to change my mind on her. She's really just the same, slightly caustic, slightly shrewish, witty character in everything I've seen her in. But yeah, it is Matt who keeps me watching, because he's such a great buffoon, but there are moments of real pathos that probably hit quite close to home. I remember a scene in season 1, where he was watching old casting video footage of himself, as a pretty young twentysomething, and there was a sense of genuine melancholy to it. We all get old, but for some people it's hard, because everyone else comments on it all the time.

A show I'm also looking forward to (and another that has an as yet un-ruined, awesome woman, in Amy Brookheimer) returning is Veep. Can't get enough of it, even if it's not quite as funny as it was in its first season. The cast is becoming a little bloated, which is annoying when it's the original gang that I really enjoyed.

Edited by Danny Franks

I was dissapointed in Galavant overall (and I couldn't tell the two women apart) but Omundson and his henchman (is that Jones?) are great.

Yikes!  I haven't been paying attention to that new Sleepy Hollow stuff.  That just sounds bad!  It actually makes me want to take back some of the stuff I've said about this show, because I don't think even Arrow has sunk to that level yet

Basically, Sleepy Hollow is throwing away their Oliver/Felicity pairing which everyone loved about the show, and shoving their Oliver back with his initial true love Laurel/Katrina even though their relationship was and is dysfunctional.  It's like watching a trainwreck.

Helix is the show I love to hate, because it's so very very bad.  I watch it in order to snark.

• Love 2

I was dissapointed in Galavant overall (and I couldn't tell the two women apart) but Omundson and his henchman (is that Jones?) are great.

Basically, Sleepy Hollow is throwing away their Oliver/Felicity pairing which everyone loved about the show, and shoving their Oliver back with his initial true love Laurel/Katrina even though their relationship was and is dysfunctional. It's like watching a trainwreck.

Helix is the show I love to hate, because it's so very very bad. I watch it in order to snark.

Did the sleepy hollow's "Oliver/felicity" relationship ever go romantic? I thought it didn't but I don't watch the show so I am not sure. Edited by Chiny11

I just binge-watched Black Sails this weekend, and man, that was entertaining.  The show has a pretty large cast, but it felt like everyone got a fair amount of screentime.  The characters were layered; there were no good guys or bad guys.  People that seemed mostly good did some really bad things.  The show could be pretty violent, and some really terrible things happened, but there was still a good bit of humor, and the dark subject matter contrasted well with the beautiful, sunny, ocean scenery.  Basically it succeeded in a lot of areas where Arrow fails.  Plus, the theme music is pretty awesome.  I recommend it!

Did the sleepy hollow's "Oliver/felicity" relationship ever go romantic? I thought it didn't but I don't watch the show so I am not sure.

No, they didn't. And I'm one of the ones that never wants it too. For me Abbie and Ichabod would have more in common with Team Arrow. They were the team I liked to see hanging out and solving the mysteries together. It was the two of them for most of Season 1, with occasional help from Jenny and Captain Irving. And most importantly Icabod's boring wife was stuck in purgatory so we only saw her for a few minutes per episode. 

Now for Galavant. I was hoping it would be better than it was. There were funny parts, the jousting scene was hilarious. The singing was entertaining (however I wanted to punch the other ABC show promos in the face). I loved seeing Lassie (from Psych) as King Richard. I was also really tired last night, so I might watch it again tonight to see if my opinion changes. 

• Love 1

Vinny Jones and Timothy Omundson are killing it on Galavant, hysterical

Just caught the show, and they were my favorite things about it.  Wish I could say the same for the rest of the show, but I found it disappointing.  The humor just wasn't working for me; too childish.

And, if you are going to go with the joke about making a good-looking knight named Jean Hamm, you need to see it through and actually cast Jon Hamm for the role, and don't settle on John Stamos (even though I like Stamos.)

But, I glanced at the show thread, and saw that the majority of the response was positive, so I don't want to be the Captain Buzzkill over there.  I'm glad it has it's fans.

Edited by thuganomics85

Vinny Jones and Timothy Omundson are killing it on Galavant, hysterical

Well those 2 are hilarious.

From 12 Monkeys forum.  The actress is Amanda Schull, and she plays Dr. Cassandra Railly.  I guess the blonde ponytail and glasses look is catching on (see also Kristen Kringle on Gotham).

Amanda Schull is the main woman for 12 Monkeys?  Aw man, please tell me this doesn't mean she's not coming back to Suits.

Dropped it a loooong time ago. Saw only 2 eps this season before removing it from my DVR queue. Right off the bat, Season 2 didn't seem like the show I fell in love with in Season 1.

I mostly gave up when the wife that I saw burning at the stake onscreen ended up being alive. Had it been a GoT-like cable show, I wouldn't have believed her dead unless I saw her gruesomely and graphically turning into a crisp. But Sleepy Hollow is network TV so I considered it an unacceptable retcon. And I was an unapologetic Ichabod/Abbie shipper -not romance novel, but X-files style- and the storytelling wasn't otherwise good enough for me to overcome its sinking.

Moreover, I just couldn't stand Fringe and its main characters/actors (sorry for the UO, since this is probably another post and run on my insomnia time) so as soon as Henry was made a regular, Ichabod's spawn and was seemingly there to stay, I checked out.

On a side note, with the likes of Katrina and Juliette, the 2010s are on their way to destroy the Fiery Readhead trope, aren't they? Although B.Tulloch, the actress who plays Juliette on Grimm, sounds like a lovely, level-headed person and I hope to see and like a character she plays on another show someday.

Also, during the holidays, my procedural-loving family marathoned the new season of the Mentalist and I loved it. I never watched it faithfully except for S1, but I found myself smiling at every episode and I think they're doing great at dealing with the romantic relationship, which I wasn't sold on in theory. It's fun, it's engaging, not sappy or soapy or untrue to the characters as far as I can tell. Seriously, many shows should take note imo -crossing fingers for them to not pull a HIMYM. I am going to watch the end of the series instead of Arrow, on my limited time for TV.

Edited by Happy Harpy

I just wanted to pop in to say hello. I finally started watching Arrow on New Year's Eve after recommendations from a few friends and watched all of seasons one and two on Netflix in four days and am now kind of obsessed. My outfit at work today is Felicity-inspired--that must count as slightly obsessed. I'm not quite caught up yet, but I will be in time for the new episodes, so I've been careful with my forum reading so far to stay unspoiled. I'm a long time TWoPer and can be found in OUAT, Sleepy Hollow, and Agents of SHIELD around here.

• Love 5

I hope Amanda Schull is coming back to Suits. I would trade Rachel for Katrina any day of the week.

God, I HATED Katrina, until she was taken under Louis' wings and we now see she's the most loyal employee to Louis, even more loyal than Mike is to Harvey. I love her. And I'm secretly hoping that Mike dumps Rachel and gets with Katrina because I think Katrina and Mike could be really good together. It doesn't hurt that I really don't like Rachel, they ruined her the past season. 

Also for those of you who are dreading the last season of Parks and Rec (only because it's the last season), then I implore you guys to watch this:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/05/parks-and-recreation-amy-poehler-season-7-clip/?hootPostID=19a03924e56370307fcd378779400bd9

It's GLORIOUS. 

Edited by wonderwall

Amanda Schull is the main woman for 12 Monkeys?  Aw man, please tell me this doesn't mean she's not coming back to Suits.

That's where I know the name! Oh, I like her. And while I gave up on Suits a while ago (USA shows always fall apart when they try to become more than light, summer entertainment), she was terribly underused on that show when I was watching. So I'll definitely have to give 12 Monkeys a chance now.

I refuse to watch that clip Wonderwall..I don't want to view any sneak peeks until the premiere.

With that said...I will likely cave and watch it in 30 minutes.

I will miss that show...and Mad Men :'( 

That show was my life! Ugh. I can't believe it's almost over. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sob during the series finale. I can't imagine a life without Ron Swanson, Leslie Knope, Ben Wyatt, Andy Dwyer, April Ludgate, Donna Meagle, and Tom Haverford... I can live without Jerry Gergich though (heh). 

I honestly couldn't resist watching the clip, it's as hilarious as I thought it would be and it makes me sad :p 

I just wanted to pop in to say hello. I finally started watching Arrow on New Year's Eve after recommendations from a few friends and watched all of seasons one and two on Netflix in four days and am now kind of obsessed. My outfit at work today is Felicity-inspired--that must count as slightly obsessed. I'm not quite caught up yet, but I will be in time for the new episodes, so I've been careful with my forum reading so far to stay unspoiled. I'm a long time TWoPer and can be found in OUAT, Sleepy Hollow, and Agents of SHIELD around here.

Welcome! 

Once you are caught up you can be certain that we'd love to hear your impressions of the show, the highs, the lows, the missteps, the surprises, your thoughts on characters and the like. Wherever you post them (character threads or relationships or episodes)  we'll be sure to find it!  It's been my experience that all of us just love hearing about first impressions.  :)

• Love 1

I hope Amanda Schull is coming back to Suits. I would trade Rachel for Katrina any day of the week.

I loved Amanda Schull on Suits and now that Louis is a name partner, I so want Katrina to be back, in a more important position and to kick Mike's ass and put Rachael in her place. God, I cannot stand that Rachael woman and this season already has too much of her. She should totally get hit by something and then move to West Coast where winters are mild.

From the Media thread about The Good Wife

Yest. 7:33 pm

Matt Czuchry has been KILLING it this season. When the judge said he was free to go, tears were streaming down my face because of the relief on Cary's face. It was such a strong scene and Matt deserves an Emmy for the outstanding performance he's put on this season. FINALLY he's been given some really good material to work with and he's hit it out of the park. Hopefully this means they continue giving him good material.

Overall I thought it was a fantastic episode. The  Spoiler kiss seemed so out of character for Alicia, but I think it was because of all the pent up emotions and relief she was feeling.  Spoiler There was nothing sexual or lustful about that kiss whatsoever . I'm still hoping for her and Finn to make out by the end of the season :p

Also, I never really liked Kalinda, but I felt bad for her the second she knew she was screwed. I think we now knwo how Kalinda is going to leave. She's either going to leave the country so she doesn't have to face jail time or she's going to go to jail.

There was some great emoting by MC in that episode.  You absolutely felt his bone deep fear and just as bone deep relief.  I may never be a true fan of the character due to left over Gilmore Girls issues (I was a Rory/Jess fan, sorry Logan) but he delivered some really powerful stuff.  Given that The Good Wife benefits from being seen as a "prestige" show, I hope he sends in that tape next year and gets a nomination. 

As for the kiss Alicia plants on her manger, even before he came into the frame I was thinking she needs some random stranger to plant one on, so yeah, no surprise though it makes me wonder if while this kiss was sexless, if they are now going to go down that road with that guy.  Finn clearly is long term plan but maybe manager is short term plan?

Poor Kalinda.  I just hope she lives to make her exit. 

Downton Abbey was also brought up on the other page since we were discussing an article that was trying to define what makes a show a "prestige" show (for the most part I'd say the answer is location, location, location, insert eye roll) and Lady Mary was compared to Laurel.  It's an interesting take but I have to side with the person who pointed out that by Lady Mary owning that she's not a very nice person, she becomes far more likable. 

I think she also gets consideration because the upper crust was expected to be upper crusty.  Her snooty manners pass as cultured I suppose.  Plus I rather liked Matthew's Mary so there was that.

The last couple seasons have had their rough parts but I'm still enjoying everything.  It's easy to have favorite characters to look forward to seeing.  Mary doesn't make my favorites list but she belongs on the screen and what she does matters and nobody is trying to call her perfect (or dress her up in buckles) so that's a win for me. 

On a complete random note, but one that does confirm the Laurel/Mary similarity and disprove it at the same time, I was reading a short fan fic that had Laurel cleaning out Tommy's apartment and finding that he'd purchased an engagement ring for her before he'd died.  For some reason, I read the whole story with Laurel looking and sounding like Lady Mary in my head.  (Yes, I'd watched Downton Abbey a couple hours earlier but still)  It was funny, Mary as Laurel worked perfectly for lines written about the character in the story but I actually enjoyed it when I was picturing Mary.  Several times while reading it, I made myself focus and hear it as Laurel but each time I cringed and finally just let myself go back to Lady Mary.  I may read all FF that includs Laurel this way.  She works a lot better with a stiff upper lip and British accent.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Ooh, I hate Mary.  She's such a bitch to her sister, Edith.  But I'm a few seasons behind, so maybe she gets better?  No, probably not.  Yikes if Jullian Fellowes based Mary on his wife, because I find her to be awful.  Sybil was always my fave.  It sucks that the actors on DA only had three year contracts because I wasn't happy about some of them that decided to leave. 

• Love 2
That show was my life! Ugh. I can't believe it's almost over. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sob during the series finale. I can't imagine a life without Ron Swanson, Leslie Knope, Ben Wyatt, Andy Dwyer, April Ludgate, Donna Meagle, and Tom Haverford... I can live without Jerry Gergich though (heh).

And Ann Perkins

This is my favorite thing today -- Summer Glau imitates popular animal memes:

Okay, I love this. Summer is so lively and confident here, as well as being the sweetest thing ever. Most of the interviews I've seen with her have been as part of group panels, and she seems to retreat into herself a lot when there are big personalities like Nathan Fillion or Adam Baldwin around, so it's really nice to see her having fun like this.

Definitely going to watch that full interview now. And yes, congrats to her and the lucky swine on the baby.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1