Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I plan on watching Orphan Black over my break. 

You'll enjoy it. It took me a while, because it felt like the sort of show doomed for cancellation after a couple of seasons, and I don't like getting attached any more. But it's fantastic. And Tatiana Maslany is incredible.

Other actresses must be so jealous of her that she gets to play not one, but three or even four strong women, all within that one show. Felix is the only guy on the show worth his screentime, though.

Holy Crap!  Jane The Virgin got 2 Golden Globe Nominations.  Best Actress Comedy for Gina Rodriguez and best TV Comedy.....that's amazing.

And yet Andy Serkis got shut out for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  Come on Golden Globes and Oscars, give the man what he deserves.

• Love 1

I always feel like the Golden Globes end up being both a good and bad thing.  Some of their picks are against the norm, and a few unsung shows and films have their moments.  Other times, their choices make no sense and just feel like pandering to the stars (Oh, The Tourist.)  Also, their support of new things can be short-lived.  Last year, they gave a nom to Tatiana Maslany and gave Best Comedy to Brooklyn Nine-Nine.  This year?  Nothing for either, despite the fact I think both actually improved.

But, in some ways, I guess I do take it over the Emmys and Oscar's more "Lets stick with the regular folks and call it a day!" method.

I stopped watching these shows years ago but I'm just shocked that someone actually thought a show on The CW (CBS' dumping ground) was worth a major hollywood award nomination.

If nothing else, this should help JTV fans relax a little.  I can't see The CW canceling a show that's been nominated for a GG.

Jane the Virgin is a lot of fun but the acting isn't any better or worse than most drama or comedies on the CW.  Gilmore Girls is the one that I still seethe over that lack of nominations, the acting in that one stood out (the mom, the grandparents, the townsfolk, not Rory)

The Golden Globe do seem to get swayed by the next big thing and JtV is pretty unique.

• Love 2

Confused about JTV nom.. (Although I'm still confused about this show being made in the first place) but feeling super proud that my country got a nom for best foreign film!! (Even though i haven't seen that one yet- but i heard it's really good!) hopefully this will translate to an Oscar nom.

There's some "what were they thinking" noms, and some "why were they not nominated" thoughts (like TM from Orphan Black poor woman keeps getting snubbed).

It's the same old schtick, so whatever. I'm glad Netflix and Amazon have gotten nominations for their shows, they deserve it for doing some pretty awesome quality stuff.

Edited by foreverevolving

So excited for JtV and Gina Rodriguez! That show surprises me on a weekly basis by breaking all the "rules" you get so accustomed to when you've watched years of American television. There are so many secrets and moments I've thought they would drag out for half a season or more, but they get resolved the very next week. It's an indictment of television in general that I'm always so surprised when that happens, but I love it.

I'm also really excited Clive Owen got nominated for The Knick. I wasn't expecting to enjoy the show when my friend said she wanted us to watch it, but I loved it. Clive's nomination is so well earned.

• Love 1

I posted this in the Hopes & Fears thread for discussion/speculation about the (probably highly unlikely) possibility of the show in question being Arrow, but I'll post it here also so those who want to can discuss the possibility of it being other shows.

http://tvline.com/2014/12/12/blind-item-pregnant-star-series-ausiello/

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that an established program that is covered voraciously on this very site is planning to impregnate its leading lady (the character, not the actress!) early in the new year — and it’s safe to say no one will see the baby twist coming.

The pregnancy — the timing of which defies almost every television convention — has the potential to dramatically alter the DNA of the series. (And this is not a show on its last legs; this baby, and the subsequent implications, will likely be around for a good while). It also comes as the relationship between the mother and father is hardly on solid ground.

Fans of the couple will likely have a mixed reaction, with some complaining it’s way too soon for such a development, and others cheering the inevitable next step — marriage.

Bonus clues: The series in question airs on one of the Big 5 broadcast networks (i.e. not cable), and it has been around for more than two but fewer than six seasons.

I've been reading the replies and I think the most likely show is The Mindy Project, especially given that she's pregnant in real life.  Also possible but less likely are Chicago Fire (Dawson and Casey are very shaky but already engaged) and OUaT with Regina and Robin, although Marian still alive is a hindrance.

I loved the idea of Penny and Sheldonon Big Bang Theory but the show is way over six seasons.

Yeah, BBT is ruled out. It amuses me how many people in the comments there obviously didn't read the whole thing before jumping in to make their guesses, because there's dozens of guesses for shows like Bones, and Castle, etc.

Over at the OUAT forum, they are also discussing this, and someone posted this link to a Tumblr post, which if true, seems to indicate that you are correct about it being The Mindy Project. Warning - it is very very spoilery for that show (if true).

http://grelca.tumblr.com/post/104799895566/oh-god-oh-god-oh-god

Hart of Dixie returns tonight, for anyone who's interested.  I'm actually kind of happy that the annoying love triangle stuff is probably finally over because  

Rachael Bilson was pregnant while filming, and they wrote that into the show.

Also, Grimm begins airing on TNT on January 7th.  They will be showing three episodes in a row every Wednesday.  So I guess if you're giving up on Arrow, there's something to try (I gave up on Grimm after like season 2, so I'm not sure how things are going now).

I'm still watching Grimm but I think I'm giving up on Hart of Dixie.  I'm about 45 episodes behind (yes, I have a large DVR) and I'm guessing the love triangle is ending on the guy I am NOT rooting for so maybe it's time to just hit delete. 

Looking forward to the Mindy Project stuff.  Here's hoping it doesn't get cancelled.   

From the Golden Arrow thread:

The tumblir stuff is interesting. There are only 5 canon couples and the rest are all non-canon slash ships, although I'm not sure what that means.

I've always been pretty conventional in my shipping so the (fictional) (mostly) slash in that list is sort of amusing.  The RP stuff squicks me out as I've said before (unless some of those people are actually in a relationship e.g. Kanye and Kim).

Mind you if most of it comes from tumblr I'm not really surprised. To me that place is the virtual equivalent of looking out from behind the curtains on a dark and stormy night where the trees are making spooky shapes and going "Oh, HELL no."

• Love 1

Anyone else watch the first part of Ascension last night?  That was pretty bad.

Was it?  It's on my DVR but I haven't watched.  Shame, it looked interesting.

Ah well there's always Galavant in January, hopefully that's as funny as it looks.

I thought Ascension was pretty bad, but I don't want to prejudice anyone else against watching.  The reviews appear mixed, and I can understand why people would be interested enough to keep watching.

Edited by tv echo

I know I read back at the beginning of the TV season that she wanted to get pregnant before too long but the only "confirmation" I could now find was from a spoof magazine called Mediamass that had attachments saying the story was false. 

I'd prefer it to be true rather than worry of Arrow pulling a stunt like that. 

Has any one watched Constantine? I had plans to start viewing it when it first aired but was too busy with life and other shows.

I did finally got around to watching the first episode and it looks okay, was wondering if it gets better?

Also is the librarians any food?

Now that i have three weeks of down time it will be nice to play catch up on some shows,

I love the Librarians!  It's a bit cheesy, but it's well done cheesy.  I was a fan of their movies and wasn't sure how they were going to transition into a series, but the cast is good (Christian Kane!  Rebecca Romijn!) and I like the premise.  I was also a huge Leverage fan, and there are a lot of the same behind the scenes folks involved here.  Give it a shot!

That was one of the Librarian movies.  (Weren't there three?)  They've turned it into a series recently with mostly a new cast though Noah Wylie was there in the pilot and is at least around in spirit.  I think he has other obligations. 

I couldn't get past the first hour of The Librarians, it was so bad. I can deal wh cheese but the acting was bad, the characters were generic, the story was lame. Only character I liked was the quirky red head.

I liked the first 2 Librarians movies they were fluffy fun but I think they were carried mostly by the charm of Noah Wyle. This completely lacks that charm which highlights all the problems, IMO.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Has any one watched Constantine? I had plans to start viewing it when it first aired but was too busy with life and other shows.

I did finally got around to watching the first episode and it looks okay, was wondering if it gets better?

Yes, I love Constantine. And to answer your question, it absolutely gets better. In fact, the ratings were growing with each episode...until NBC announced it was halting production on the rest of S1 but not cancelling it. Unfortunately when it did that, the ratings died (presumably because people figured it was on the chopping block). I don't expect it to be renewed, but the episodes that have aired are entertaining, IMO.

Edited by NumberCruncher

Wait there's three movies to it too?

Yeah, the first one came out in 2004 (Quest for the Spear), then it was followed by ones in 2006 (Return to King Solomon's Mines), and 2008 (Curse of the Judas Chalice.)  All three had Noah Wyle, Jane Curtin, and Bob Newhart, and various other recognizable faces popped in; besides Stana Katic mentioned above, I remember Gabrielle Anwar in one of them, Kelly Hu (China White!) from another, and I'm pretty sure Kyle MacLachlan was the villain in the first one.  It seems like the series is sticking with Rebecca Romjin and the group, but I think Wyle will be back at some point.  I'm still unsure if I like it yet, but I'm going to see how the next episode fares.  If they somehow screw-up Bruce Campbell as Santa Claus, then they don't deserve my viewership!

In other news: hopefully by tomorrow, I'll blow through the final season of Nikita.  I'll talk more about it then, but a quick preview: it's probably my favorite CW show ever.

Edited by thuganomics85

In other news: hopefully by tomorrow, I'll blow through the final season of Nikita.  I'll talk more about it then, but a quick preview: it's probably my favorite CW show ever.

LOVE Nikita. I marathoned that show around this time last year, and I really adored it. I'm sure there were missteps along the way, but watching it that fast, they were harder to spot and even harder to remember now. The one thing I did find frustrating was how often Alex lost faith in Nikita--that relationship was tough to watch at times. But Michael/Nikita is a great example of how to let a main couple be together but keep them interesting. I never stopped rooting for them and I never felt like they lost their spark.

• Love 5

Did anyone know that Stephen Amell's wife won $500,000 on a game show called 1 vs 100? Some people have all of the luck...

I think i read something about it. In all honesty it's really not that hard of a game if you have some basic knowledge in different topics, or at least vaguely remember things. It's like the SAT- first eliminate the wrong answers and then use logic and basic knowledge to try and chose the right answer.

The real trick is not to let your nerves get in the way. You can get super excited in those type of games. A friend of mine was in the local version of the show.. Let's just say the guy is no genius but he fared okay because he had confidence in himself.

I watched a couple(i think) seasons of Nikita. While it was okay i got bored with it really fast and stopped watching. To be fair though.. I grew up watching Le Femme Nikita from 1997, for me Nikita will always be the awesome Peta Wilson and anyone else pale in comprison. MQ was okay but no match for Peta in my opinion.

I think i read something about it. In all honesty it's really not that hard of a game if you have some basic knowledge in different topics, or at least vaguely remember things. It's like the SAT- first eliminate the wrong answers and then use logic and basic knowledge to try and chose the right answer.

Still, that's a lot of money. It's almost as much as Stephen Amell makes in a season of Arrow.

True, even after taxes (are there taxes on game shows winning in the us?) i hope she invested it wisely.

I think it's just taxed as normal income? I don't know anyone who has ever been on a game show. Still, she's married to SA, she won a bunch of money on a game show and she's only 29. 

Edited by drspaceman10

I've been watching The 100 since it started last year not really sure if I liked the show or not despite the fact that I haven't missed an episode.  I've officially decided I like it, lol. 

This season has actually been really interesting.  Last year there was a lot of filler (violent, muddy filler) but this year I really like the storylines and I really like that they killed off the guy they seem to have killed.  (crosses fingers)

Someone asked me just last week if I'd recommend the show and I wasn't sure I could, but yeah, I am recommending it. 

It's not for the fainthearted.  I mentioned the violent?  People die. 

A lot.

Even characters you think are going to be regulars.  Yeah, except for the lead female, anyone could be expendable.  Yet it manages to produce a slew of really strong female characters.  Red shirts are red shirts no matter the gender, but otherwise, I don't think it suffers from the same kind of fridging problems even Arrow suffers from. 

Anyway, it's a CW show with really low ratings; now that I've actually decided I like it, it's probably destined not to get a third season, but I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I watched The 100 last year but I lost interest after 5-6 episodes.  I've watched a couple of episodes this season and it's interesting, but i can't seem to get hooked on it.  However, I heard that last night's episode pulled a major shocker

they killed off the show's "Laurel"  (AKA Finn) who was designed as the main Love Interest for the Lead Female Character but wasn't working out.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

Yeah, regarding what happened on The 100 last night...can't say I'm sad about that.  I didn't think they would actually do it but I'm hoping it sticks!  This is how you deal with problematic characters, Arrow.

I'm loving Jane the Virgin.  It's my favorite new show this season.  This week's episode was hilarious with a kidnapping victim trying to escape by following instructions from an episode of a telenovela.  And I just loved the heartbreaking look that Rogelio gave Xo (claiming he was "acting") and how he called in a favor from Paulina Rubio.  This show makes me happy while Arrow makes me miserable!  

The Musketeers season 2 returns to BBC America on January 17th.  Colin Salmon is joining the cast, but I'm not sure how many episodes he'll be in.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit

This is hilarious!

Tatiana's SAG nomination category. 

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series (6 nominees)
CLAIRE DANES / Carrie Mathison – “HOMELAND” (Showtime)
VIOLA DAVIS / Annalise Keating – "HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER" (ABC)
JULIANNA MARGULIES / Alicia Florrick – "THE GOOD WIFE" (CBS)
TATIANA MASLANY / Sarah/Cosima/Alison/Rachel/ – "ORPHAN BLACK" (BBC America)
                                   Helena/Tony/Jennifer and Various Others

MAGGIE SMITH / Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham – “DOWNTON ABBEY” (PBS)
ROBIN WRIGHT / Claire Underwood – "HOUSE OF CARDS" (Netflix)

How can she not win with that. They should of put her in Best Ensemble. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 11

Finished my Nikita marathon.  Yep, not just my favorite CW show so far, but probably one of my favorites period.  There is so much about it I wish other shows could learn from.  Nikita and Alex are two of my favorite female characters ever; both flawed but fully fleshed out and layered; and great to watch.  Michael/Nikita was just refreshing: no love triangle or silly obstacles like that; they had bumps, but their loyalty was never in doubt (I love that the biggest fall-out was 

when Nikita was forced to cut off Michael's hand. I think even the strongest relationship would hit a rough patch over that.

.)  I also loved how they handled the villains:

I loved Percy/Xandeer Berkeley, but he could have easily overstayed his welcome. I'm glad they killed him off by S2 and let Amanda come out of the shadows to be the ultimate baddie.

.  Even the supporting cast; Birkhoff, Ryan Fletcher, Sonya, etc.; were stronger then the norm.

I think the only real complaint I had was I felt like Alex and Owen/Sam was completely random and rushed.  I'm not against the idea, but it almost felt like they realized neither one had a significant other, and was like "Screw it!  Just hook them up and call it a day!" about it.  I think the final season being only six episodes hurt that particular development.  But, it wasn't enough to ruin everything else the show got right.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 4