• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, jaye.elle said:

Woo hoo!!!

That's excellwnt news. 

15 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Croatia advances! Suck it Russia! 

6BAF2E11-A119-4C42-B67C-1F434115934C.gif

You're making me feel pretty unpatriotic over here, since I never watch the games, and basically keep track of goals scored by whoops, shouts and shots fired. 

• Love 1

I don't watch the  games either but I love hearing the reactions on the street.  I was opposite an English pub during yesterday's game and that was pretty exciting but the best is in the Italian and Portuguese sections of the city. They really go to town for their team.

Has anyone tried water with chia seeds and lemons as a cleanse? If so, which school of thought do you follow, 1) stir, let soak for 5 minutes, stir again, let soak for another 10 minutes, add lemon juice and drink, or 2) let seeds soak for an hour, strain, then put them, the water and the lemon juice into a blender?

I don't blend,  partly because I don't have a blender at the moment,  but I personally don't find that blending does all that much unless I'm trying to make a smoothie and I'm not.   I'm drinking lemon water.  Honestly lately I haven't even been using the seeds for the past few months cause I ran out and am lazy, haven't really noticed a difference. 

Hello!  I've missed all of you, but have only had time to pop in every several weeks to skim through the Arrow news. I don't even have time to read fic anymore(!) even though I used to read several Olicity-related chapters every day. My professional life is everything I've ever wanted, so I guess the trade-off isn't too bad.

Am hoping to get some ideas from you, as you have combined life experience of approximately 3257 years. ? My son and his boyfriend are getting married next summer, and as he is the first of our children to get married, I'm hoping for ideas about favorite new traditions or meaningful moments we might include in the lead up and on the big day. We're unlikely to have extended family on my son's side attend, so it would be wonderful to have some gestures--grand and small--in mind to mitigate what I'm sure will be a painful absence.

There are always so many wonderful perspectives and cultural richness on here, so I thought I'd ask this awesome community.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

I don't have any suggestions, but congrats to your son and his fiancé, @EmeraldArcher! That's such wonderful and exciting news!

I can't call him his "fiancée" yet because the proposal hasn't officially happened. :-) His boyfriend asked for our blessing this weekend, and the proposal is in the very near future.  Our son has already talked to us about the wedding, so the proposal is just a formality.

If I could fly her here, I'd hire @Mellowyellow to bake the cake!  Her desserts always sound so yummy! @statsgirl could do the pre-wedding counseling with the guys to make sure they're on a solid foundation; @KenyaJ could prepare the pre-nup; @tv echo could survey wedding trends from articles and interviews, organize it all, and then archive it for the guys to refer to; @BkWurm1 could help with the seating chart and ensure everybody gets along; @Delphi can show the guys how to use a straight razor for a great shave on their big day; and @apinknightmare can give a toast with the perfect blend of snark and wisdom. And of course, @quarks can assure me that no matter what little snafus happen, it will be a glorious wedding because Laurel won't be there to ruin it! :-) 

[I hope I've correctly remembered each of your occupations/talents.]

• Love 13

@EmeraldArcher, it looks like you've got everything covered.  And top points  for memory, creativity, and understanding.  I really wish we could participate like that.

Your future son-in-law sounds lovely, asking your blessing first.

In terms of meaningful moments, is there something special to them?  Some place or some activity (e.g. a type of dancing) or some event that you could incorporate into the wedding and their future anniversaries?

• Love 2
(edited)

Congrats, @EmeraldArcher! A few years ago, a friend of mine got married and set up a wedding site (there are multiple options, I believe, including TheKnot.com, I don't recall what she used), where she posted information about the wedding, pre-wedding events, and post-wedding details (guests got a password with their wedding invite and would log in to the site). It also helped with wedding invites and wedding gift registries and other stuff.  It made her life easier, since she was planning the wedding herself. Also, when she hired a photographer, she got a package deal that included not just photos but also photo books to commemorate the event.

On an unrelated note, I watched The Outpost premiere and it was pretty bad. Clearly low budget with laughable special effects and cringe-worthy dialogue. It reminded me of old sci-fi/fantasy B movies. Many of the actors were not that good. There were lots of cliches and tropes. However, I thought that actress Jessica Green, who plays the lead role of Talon, was not bad. Her character has enough mystery (who were her people? does she have special powers?) to keep me watching for at least one more episode.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Guys......omg omg omg. Ok I know you guys don't care much for gems but I've got to share this!

Ok so I'm on holidays right now. Hubs took the 5yo this morning so I could go jewellery shopping in peace. I always get a present if we go to a destination with good jewellery stores. Was posting on the jewellery forum all day with the girls there telling me which stalls to visit and debating things I was looking at. 

So I go into this store to oogle and I fall in love with this pink sapphire. No lab report so I was sceptical and it was a pricey gem as it was 3 carats. 

Then the girls were egging me to get it sent to the lab to get tested with the condition that I'll buy it if it checks out as a sapphire, heat only. I'm like "Craps I don't think hubs and I agreed to this kind of budget for jewellery."

Meet hubs and 5yo for lunch. Entire family treks to the store to view the ring. Hubs looooooves pink so tells me to pay for it on condition that lab report checks out. I'm thinking "Omg this is probably not one of our better decisions" but I love the ring so went for it. Paid for it in full. 

Owner closes down the store and walks the ring to the lab. 

I get a call a few hours later informing me the report is ready. It's an UNHEATED sapphire which means it's worth at least 50% more than what I paid. ?

I NEVER get a bargain. I'm not a total idiot but I never get a bargain. Owner bought a bunch of stones 8 years ago and didn't send off any that he thought was heated to save money. He only sent off the unheated ones as they are worth more. He was a little sad but took it like a champ. 

So in short.......WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hubs is thrilled because we are not usually winners. 

Here is the beauty:

e9539479-623d-4d02-b3ac-68fd781195e7-jpe

85eceecf-fe83-44d0-ad78-378bca92eea9-jpe

• Love 11

@EmeraldArcher are they musical?

Hubs sang me a Back street Boys song (Anywhere For You) at the wedding and a decade later people still tell us how awesome it was. 

I also got given earrings by my in laws so if they are into jewellery maybe something to add to the family collection for the grandchildren one day?

• Love 2
(edited)

I've seen many personal videos on youtube where wedding guests suddenly started singing this song from Les Miserables - here is one where the lyrics were adapted to fit the wedding couple..

One Day More (Original Wedding Flash Mob)
Published on Jan 27, 2013, by Lia Brasher

So I decided to surprise my now wife with a flash mob during our rehearsal dinner. No one had any idea other than the people involved. After a great dinner and humbling toasts, I turned to my wife and said, "I can't believe that we have been together for three years, engaged for over a year, and now it is just one more day......or should I say....." And that brings us to our video.

Lyrics by Caleb Brasher and Halston Hodges
Video by Patrick Wiggins

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

@EmeraldArcher I went to a wedding where all the guys and the fathers in the wedding party went to a barber shop that specialized in straight edge shaving. They all got shaved and drank whiskey and took lots of photos. They all agreed it was relaxing and fun. This was the done several hours before the rehearsal dinner. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I get a call a few hours later informing me the report is ready. It's an UNHEATED sapphire which means it's worth at least 50% more than what I paid. ?

I NEVER get a bargain. I'm not a total idiot but I never get a bargain. Owner bought a bunch of stones 8 years ago and didn't send off any that he thought was heated to save money. He only sent off the unheated ones as they are worth more. He was a little sad but took it like a champ. 

Here is the beauty:

That's gorgeous!  You said pink but I wasn't expecting something so intensely pink.  I can see why he assumed it was baked.  It's practically a ruby.  In fact, why isn't it a ruby?

• Love 1
On 7/12/2018 at 7:44 AM, tv echo said:

Congrats, @EmeraldArcher! A few years ago, a friend of mine got married and set up a wedding site (there are multiple options, I believe, including TheKnot.com, I don't recall what she used), where she posted information about the wedding, pre-wedding events, and post-wedding details (guests got a password with their wedding invite and would log in to the site). It also helped with wedding invites and wedding gift registries and other stuff.  It made her life easier, since she was planning the wedding herself. Also, when she hired a photographer, she got a package deal that included not just photos but also photo books to commemorate the event.

On an unrelated note, I watched The Outpost premiere and it was pretty bad. Clearly low budget with laughable special effects and cringe-worthy dialogue. It reminded me of old sci-fi/fantasy B movies. Many of the actors were not that good. There were lots of cliches and tropes. However, I thought that actress Jessica Green, who plays the lead role of Talon, was not bad. Her character has enough mystery (who were her people? does she have special powers?) to keep me watching for at least one more episode.

Thanks, @tv echo!  So much has changed since we got married 25 years ago--our anniversary is the same as Olicity & WestAllen's!!  We'll have to check out The Knot.

On 7/12/2018 at 8:28 AM, Mellowyellow said:

Guys......omg omg omg. Ok I know you guys don't care much for gems but I've got to share this!

Ok so I'm on holidays right now. Hubs took the 5yo this morning so I could go jewellery shopping in peace. I always get a present if we go to a destination with good jewellery stores. Was posting on the jewellery forum all day with the girls there telling me which stalls to visit and debating things I was looking at. 

So I go into this store to oogle and I fall in love with this pink sapphire. No lab report so I was sceptical and it was a pricey gem as it was 3 carats. 

Then the girls were egging me to get it sent to the lab to get tested with the condition that I'll buy it if it checks out as a sapphire, heat only. I'm like "Craps I don't think hubs and I agreed to this kind of budget for jewellery."

Meet hubs and 5yo for lunch. Entire family treks to the store to view the ring. Hubs looooooves pink so tells me to pay for it on condition that lab report checks out. I'm thinking "Omg this is probably not one of our better decisions" but I love the ring so went for it. Paid for it in full. 

Owner closes down the store and walks the ring to the lab. 

Here is the beauty:

That's gorgeous! Congratulations on your new ring and the fabulous experience of getting a great deal!

On 7/12/2018 at 8:33 AM, Mellowyellow said:

@EmeraldArcher are they musical?

Hubs sang me a Back street Boys song (Anywhere For You) at the wedding and a decade later people still tell us how awesome it was. 

I also got given earrings by my in laws so if they are into jewellery maybe something to add to the family collection for the grandchildren one day?

How sweet!  My son is not musical, but will dance with enough liquid courage.  A new family keepsake sounds like a neat idea.  We're estranged from all but our small family unit, so creating our own keepsakes would be wonderful and liberating.

• Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 8:54 AM, tv echo said:

I've seen many personal videos on youtube where wedding guests suddenly started singing this song from Les Miserables - here is one where the lyrics were adapted to fit the wedding couple..

One Day More (Original Wedding Flash Mob)
Published on Jan 27, 2013, by Lia Brasher

Wow!  That's so awesome! My future son-in-law is musical, and I raised my kids on Les Mis (seriously), so it would be fun and meaningful! Love it!  Thanks so much for the idea!

15 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

@EmeraldArcher I went to a wedding where all the guys and the fathers in the wedding party went to a barber shop that specialized in straight edge shaving. They all got shaved and drank whiskey and took lots of photos. They all agreed it was relaxing and fun. This was the done several hours before the rehearsal dinner. 

Thanks, @BunsenBurner!  It's a neat idea to pamper the guys, especially as there isn't a bride in this wedding. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

That's gorgeous!  You said pink but I wasn't expecting something so intensely pink.  I can see why he assumed it was baked.  It's practically a ruby.  In fact, why isn't it a ruby?

It was the intense pink that hooked me! Haha I was just looking for a pair of rose gold earrings as my present. 

It's nowhere near red enough to be a ruby. Hehe would be probably quadruple the price if it was an unheated bright red ruby!

But I'm expecting this one to appreciate in the next few years because of the colour and how rare these things are starting to become, so it was a good buy as well as having something nice to wear in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

t's nowhere near red enough to be a ruby. Hehe would be probably quadruple the price if it was an unheated bright red ruby!

What makes a ruby confuses me since I've seen deeply pink stones called rubies as well, lol.   

A ruby is a pink to blood-red colored gemstone, a variety of the mineral corundum. Other varieties of gem-quality corundum are called sapphires. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby

5 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

What makes a ruby confuses me since I've seen deeply pink stones called rubies as well, lol.   

Haha basically if you're selling a pink stone it's a ruby (so you can hike the price up) and if I'm buying I'm gonna call it a pink sapphire (so I can bargain you down).

Basically both sides will fight so the end result is usually fair. Also the lab will assign a colour to it. In my case the stone was classed as "reddish pink" and it's usually very fair. 

Here is my ruby. Very obviously red. 

• Love 1

I guess that’s a family size avocado, they go bad so quickly but I would probably buy one for novelty value. I’m all about Trader Joe’s teeny tiny avocados that are basically single serving right now. 

• Love 1

Ick.   Ick to all of it.   There's no way to recapture the magic of the original.  There's no way the cast will be as awesome.   And there's no way I'm giving joss whedon more of my time,  devotion and energy. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think I'd be okay with them telling the story of a past slayer or a future one. Just not a remake of Buffy. 

It was even set up in the OG with all the potentials being activated. Follow one of them or do a live action Tales of the Slayers. 

I read Keanu Reeves said Bill & Ted 3 is having a difficult time getting made because execs want a reboot not a sequel. WTF? How do they not get that it's the actors playing those characters from years ago that is the draw? Same with Buffy. Find a new slayer, bring in SMG to cameo and keep on keeping on. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Same.  If it was a continuation of some sort, I would be interested.  I’ve always been a bit disappointed that Eliza Dushku chose to do a different series (Tru Calling, I think) rather than the proposed Faith spinoff.  But a complete reboot?  Nope.  Sorry.  

And it doesn’t help that after the last few years, I’m not nearly the Joss Whedon fan I used to be.  I will always love Buffy, but....yeah.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
(edited)

I really liked Tru  calling,  but I defintely would have preferred Faith the vampire slayer.   Not only was faith a lot more interesting,  we probably would've gotten more than a season and a half. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1

Are RussianBots a thing?

A few years back my sister told me to make an Instagram account to follow her food posts. So I did and up until recently she and EBR were the only accounts I followed. I have never posted a pic or done anything besides like pics using that account.

Then I started following the two Russian Gold and Silver figure skating medalists. Since then I get these weird messages telling me various Russian accounts are following me. You reckon this something to do with me following the Russian figure skaters? Are they bots? But I am so uninteresting! Never posted a thing! 

A few days ago we were talking about JH comments regarding cancer and positive thinking. I found this article with the results of a yougov study that was only recently written and I thought some of you might be interested in it. 

Pressure to stay positive may be a negative for cancer patients – charity

More than one in four (28%) said they found it difficult to talk honestly about their feelings around the disease, and a similar number (28%) said they felt guilty if they could not remain positive.

• Love 1

Does anyone else ever go to other show forums on here, and find themselves disappointed? I can't find a single forum as active as this one, not even for the other dc shows.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, JJ928 said:

Does anyone else ever go to other show forums on here, and find themselves disappointed? I can't find a single forum as active as this one, not even for the other dc shows.

Yeah. A few weeks ago when it was announced that Chris Wood wasn't coming back, I went to the Supergirl forum because I was curious how fans were reacting to the news. Not only were there no posts about it (at that moment)the news, but the most recent post had been from 3 days earlier. I was really surprised.

The only other forums I read are the ones for the various Real Housewives shows. Most of them tend to be pretty active. And I haven't read the "This Is Us" forum since S1, but it was really active back then. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, doesntworkonwood said:

A few days ago we were talking about JH comments regarding cancer and positive thinking. I found this article with the results of a yougov study that was only recently written and I thought some of you might be interested in it. 

Pressure to stay positive may be a negative for cancer patients – charity

That was very interesting.

Another stress can be the family's need for denial  I was in a cancer support group and some women would talk about how hard it is to live up to their family's expectations of "there's no problem and I can do everything I could before".  There was so much pressure not to admit their real feelings or weaknesses.

Doctors often don't tell you the side effects of the medication so when they happen (e.g. unable to get up off the floor from aromatase inhibitors)  patients think it's their personal weakness and not a side effect of the drug.  That makes it harder to be positive too.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, JJ928 said:

When it comes to particular shows, I only visit forums for shows with shorter runs and those are usually very active while the episodes are airing. In fact, I gave up on catching up with the season finale thread of The Handmaid's Tale. Otherwise, I don't really visit forums of individual shows.