Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

These kitties are beyond cute but seriously what a terrible ad for human food! I'm still not quite sure if it's human food! I assume it is since cat's can't eat chocolate!

Is the name of it that puts you off? Digestives are a type of cookie from the UK (although I guess they'd call them biscuits). So those are chocolate covered cookie bits!

21 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Is the name of it that puts you off? Digestives are a type of cookie from the UK (although I guess they'd call them biscuits). So those are chocolate covered cookie bits!

Yes the name, the kibble sized pieces and the kitty pics make me think it could be cat food even though I'm pretty sure it's not. 

I wouldn't say no to the brown chubby bubba kitty though ?

Thanks all for the Hallmark recommendation of "9 Lives of Christmas". It was rather adorable and I actually enjoyed BR as a romantic lead! I'm not a cat person, I'm more of a dog person - but this one made the cats so cute. I mean it was definitely cheesy with a lot of plot holes, but it was an enjoyable holiday diversion.

It was sorta an accidental Flarrowverse/Hallmark fusion because then I stumbled onto a random one with Carly Pope that I had to skip too many reporter flashbacks.

But then I found Katrina Law's "Snow Bride" and that was fabulous as a Holiday Hallmark Movie! She was so great, I definitely saw a different side of her acting ability. I definitely recommend it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, kismet said:

But then I found Katrina Law's "Snow Bride" and that was fabulous as a Holiday Hallmark Movie! She was so great, I definitely saw a different side of her acting ability. I definitely recommend it.

Hallmark xmas movie lover reporting for Duty.  I believe Katrina Law's sister-in-law wrote that movie.  I agree that Katrina Law was really good in that.

• Love 1

She did another Christmas movie after that in which she was a personal shopper I think. It was okay but not as good as "Snow Bride".

6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@statsgirl I'm watching Canada week on the Canadian Bake Off. I want a maple leaf cookie! 

They look good, don't they? The recipe is here.  Commentary here.

Just wait till the next one, I saw it last night. It's festive cakes and I guarantee you'll be inspired by the gingerbread houses.

Is Canadian Bake Off comparable to the Great British Bake Off?  I love a game show in which people make lovely confections while giving pep talks to each other when their meringues fall and I have felt deprived since the end of the original GBBO.

Yes like the Great British Bake Off everyone seems genuinely supportive and likes each other.  They don't show them helping each other as much as they did in the GBBO but there is still the sense of "we're all in this together". 

I like it so much more than the competitiveness on the other shows.

There is an Australian one too but I have seen that yet.  @Mellowyellow will have to spill.

Why are there so many people on Reddit comparing Arrow to Punisher? Arrow season 1 or Arrow in general is about as violent as the CW is ever likely to go, the two can't even compare, not to mention they aren't making 23 episodes a year. 

6 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Why are there so many people on Reddit comparing Arrow to Punisher? Arrow season 1 or Arrow in general is about as violent as the CW is ever likely to go, the two can't even compare, not to mention they aren't making 23 episodes a year. 

Oh, has someone mentioned to them they are likely facing Frank enjoying a non-canon romance with a blonde? :)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

Is Canadian Bake Off comparable to the Great British Bake Off?  I love a game show in which people make lovely confections while giving pep talks to each other when their meringues fall and I have felt deprived since the end of the original GBBO.

Yes it is!!!! It's REALLY good! They are a very nice sane bunch of contestants. It's very much in the spirit of the original GBBO. The Aussie one is very similar too, right down the the casting of the judges. The only difference is that it has some weird Aussie humour thrown in! 

Did you watch the new reboot GBBO? I thought they did an excellent job with casting the new hosts and new judge. I was worried but it has pretty much retained the same charm. The folks on the GBBO forum were pretty happy about the reboot too.

@statsgirl is the lady host of the Canadian Baking Show well known? She is extremely pretty! 

• Love 1
On 12/7/2017 at 6:40 PM, Mellowyellow said:

is the lady host of the Canadian Baking Show well known? She is extremely pretty! 

She is very pretty.  Her name is Julia Chan.  She grew up in Hong Kong and the U.K. and college in the US.  I guess that's why her accent sometimes slips around.

She's not well know. The only thing I've seen her in besides this is  as Maggie Lin on Saving Hope, Erica Durrance's vanity project but she's also played Elaine in a season 2 episode of Gotham under the name Julia Taylor Ross.

The other host is Dan Levy of Schitt's Creek and son of Eugene Levy of Second City TV and Best In Show.

On 12/7/2017 at 3:17 PM, SmallScreenDiva said:

Oh, has someone mentioned to them they are likely facing Frank enjoying a non-canon romance with a blonde? :)

? Well at least Frank can't unexpectedly fall in love with the blond hacker who helps him because he's already happily married. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 3

I finally finished watching season 2 of Stranger Things. It had its faults but I loved it. Ironically, I don't want season 3 because I find most of these characters so great and endearing and I want them to finally catch a break.

Spoiler

Poor Will was haunted, El sequestered and Mike depressed for a year! And nobody noticed this about Mike. :(

Steve Harrington probably wins the prize for the character with the best turn around. I was pleasantly surprised with the direction his character took last season, but he was amazing this time around. Yay, Steve. 

Spoiler

I can almost see him ending up in a Kindergarten Cop situation. It's ridiculous how interested I am to find out his major in college. Any job which includes mother hen in its description would be a great fit.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, way2interested said:

Warning, some potential spoilers for The Last Jedi are out around the internet.

I have to avoid Spoliers this time my friend just informed me today that we may not get to see Last Jedi until next week. I got mad when I accidentally stumbled into a HUGE Spolier about TFA a couple months before I was able to see it and I was doing so well avoiding until then

Guys I am trying to fill the kidlet's stocking for Christmas and would like some book ideas.

I've bought him more books that I can count but if any of you remember a book from your childhood that you LOVED please suggest it. I think I own just about every book suggested in the parenting group I belong to, so branching out for more ideas. Maybe there is some stuff overseas that I haven't heard of!

Lemotomato recommended Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and that was a huge hit I ended up getting him the other 2 books in the series too.

We've read most of the Roald Dahl books, Enid Blyton, Dr Suess etc

I loved The Wizard of Oz and its sequels. There was also a series of detective novels for kids like Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, stuff in this vein - read dozens of them.

Also Huckleberry Finn but I think it's school reading for you guys in US.

• Love 1

I don’t think they’re in print anymore but my two favorite books when I was little were The Werewolf Family and The Witch’s Handbook. 

As for books in print, you can never go wrong with Steven Kellogg. I assume Harry Potter is scheduled for when he’s older?

• Love 1

Harold and the Purple Crayon, The Morris and Borris books (I remember laughing hysterically over them), Frog and Toad are Friends, Corduroy - so sweet.  I made sure to buy it for my niece,  Ira Sleeps Over (two little boys hide from each other that they need a teddy bear to go to sleep), Caps for Sale (there are monkeys in it), Tikki Tikki Tembo (The first child born in the family gets a super long name while the next might only get a name like Chan and that kid is jealous until the day his older brother falls in the well and he has to run around telling everyone what happened but it takes forever saying his super long name. I think it was based on an ancient Chinese folktale.  It's just a fun book to hear and read) Rikki Tikki Tavi (though now I can't remember if it was the book I loved or the movie.  Mongoose fights snakes!), The Very Hungry Caterpillar (that one might be too young), Beatrix Potter books -the illustrations are gorgeous. 

I also really loved our copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses.  It's poetry written for kids but back in the 19th century.  Most aren't too terribly long. It was a great way to get a little more reading time from mom, lol. I can still recite a couple of them to this day.  ("A Good Play" "My Shadow" "The Swing")

Check out the Shel Silverstein poetry books for a more modern take.  They had a waiting list in my grade school library pretty much the whole time I was in grade school.  Though some of them were a bit morbid if you ask me. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

@scarynikki12 Ooh yes much older for Harry Potter! He's not one for darkness so I'm not sure if he'd even read it based on his current personality.

@BkWurm1 thanks!!!! Never heard of those before! I've got to put in all my orders by tonight for delivery before Christmas. I'm on a frantic hunt for presents. Kid told me he just wanted a purple carrot for Christmas! 

3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Check out the Shel Silverstein poetry books for a more modern take.  They had a waiting list in my grade school library pretty much the whole time I was in grade school.  Though some of them were a bit morbid if you ask me. 

I loved Shel Silverstein poems! I received Where the Sidewalk Ends as a Christmas gift when I was maybe 7 or 8 and it was my favorite book for years. I've never been much into poetry, especially as a child, but Silverstein's are perfectly aimed at kids and so fun to read and recite.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

@scarynikki12 Ooh yes much older for Harry Potter! He's not one for darkness so I'm not sure if he'd even read it based on his current personality.

@BkWurm1 thanks!!!! Never heard of those before! I've got to put in all my orders by tonight for delivery before Christmas. I'm on a frantic hunt for presents. Kid told me he just wanted a purple carrot for Christmas! 

Purple carrots are pretty easy to find over here. Maybe a stuffed purple carrot? 

Have you read Amelia Bedelia? 

Edited by leopardprint
2 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Purple carrots are pretty easy to find over here. Maybe a stuffed purple carrot? 

Haha yes I've got a packet of purple carrots in the fridge already for Christmas morning. Going to get him a bundle of dutch carrots as well. 

We just wanted him to wake up to something more than carrots!

I've ordered a bunch of books last night! That purple crayon one looks awesome!

Debating whether to buy him a green gem as well.....a nice greeny Oregon Sunstone which is pretty cheap. Might have left it a bit late for postage though!

40 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

3 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Haha yes I've got a packet of purple carrots in the fridge already for Christmas morning. Going to get him a bundle of dutch carrots as well. 

We just wanted him to wake up to something more than carrots!

I'm glad he is getting his purple carrots ?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Beatrix Potter books -the illustrations are gorgeous. 

I also really loved our copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses.  It's poetry written for kids but back in the 19th century.  Most aren't too terribly long. It was a great way to get a little more reading time from mom, lol. I can still recite a couple of them to this day.  ("A Good Play" "My Shadow" "The Swing")

I second all of those.  For simple rhymes, Dennis Lee's Alligator Pie is a lot of fun, as are his other books.

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster.  Both of those books just turned 50 but they're still great.

Is he too old for Jon Scieszka books like The Stinky Cheese Man?

I asked my kid and she said The Seven Chinese Brothers by Margaret Mahy (you can see it on youtube here), and the Robert Munsch books where are easy to read and silly at a kid level.  (In one of them, a father and child are on a fishing boat and he throws the kid over.  We played it out and I would throw her out of the coach and on to the carpet.)  Jane and the Dragon by Martin Baynton is a series of books that she loved, as was My Father's Dragon, a series of three books by Ruth Stiles Gannet.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Is he too old for Jon Scieszka books like The Stinky Cheese Man?

What is that like? I don't think he's too old for it but I'm a bit dubious of it myself! Are they funny and well written?

I bought this set of books called "Bad Guys" and they turned out to be freaking comics! Hubby has not stopped cursing about them! Kidlet loved them but OMG they are terrible and added no value in terms of his development!!! 

"My Father's Dragon" looks awesome! Debating whether Phantom Tollbooth is too complex. I tried Pippi Longstocking on him and that wasn't a hit.

Thanks guys! So many books!!!!! He's not getting all of them in his stocking but I am going to hoard some to give to him throughout the year! 

Starting today, media reviewers were allowed to release their full reviews for Star Wars: The Last Jedi (out in theaters Dec. 15). So far, the reviews are VERY positive! (Warning: some reviews may contain spoilers.) Critics' scores are currently averaging 93% at Rotten Tomatoes.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Did you like them? Haha I googled and now I want to order a set for myself! She bakes!!!!!

They are slapstick farces, she just keeps making silly mistakes but all is always forgiven because she makes the best pie or something like that.  I read them in the 1 and 2nd grade I think.  I was amused but they were library books rather than ones I had at home to read over and over again.  I think I remember my mother cringing over some of the stuff but she also cringes over I love Lucy reruns so don't take that as a discouragement.  

I remembered another series from my childhood the Francis books by Russell Hoban.  I'm going to date myself but I had the books and the read-along RECORDS when I was a kid and remember really liking Bread and Jam for Francis and Best Friends for Francis.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I remembered another series from my childhood the Francis books by Russell Hoban.  I'm going to date myself but I had the books and the read-along RECORDS when I was a kid and remember really liking Bread and Jam for Francis and Best Friends for Francis.  

We both LOVED Bread and Jam for Francis!!!!!! One of the food bloggers I followed recreated Francis and Albert's lunch and that was how I heard of the book!!!!!

Then I bought "A Bargain for Francis" to teach him about sneaky people =P

oooh currently debating if I want to shell out for the Amelia Bedelia box set for myself.........

Are there lots of food descriptions in it? I like food descriptions!

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Are there lots of food descriptions in it? I like food descriptions!

You know, I read Amelia Bedelia over and over and I can't remember how detailed the descriptions are.  The good news is that they get the job done and will make you hungry for the goodies she creates.  She does things like tarts and pies and sugary yums.

1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

You know, I read Amelia Bedelia over and over and I can't remember how detailed the descriptions are.  The good news is that they get the job done and will make you hungry for the goodies she creates.  She does things like tarts and pies and sugary yums.

OMG I loved Amelia Bedalia. 

The whole 'dressing a chicken' is hilarious.

• Love 3

Ok, this book chat inspired me to search for any available Amelia Bedelia ebooks from my library.  @Mellowyellow it looks like there is a series with her as a child, which may or may not be good, but the books we're all talking about are her as an adult who misunderstands the instructions given to her by her employers (to great entertainment) but makes killer desserts which save her from getting fired (which she's oblivious to).

• Love 2

OMG you guys are tempting me!

I've got to go view this baby tomorrow (isn't it gorgeous????? Soo excited about this!!!!! Dying to post on other forum but can't in case someone goes after the same stone!). If I don't end up buying it I'll treat myself to the books!

BGS.jpg

4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ok, this book chat inspired me to search for any available Amelia Bedelia ebooks from my library.  @Mellowyellow it looks like there is a series with her as a child, which may or may not be good, but the books we're all talking about are her as an adult who misunderstands the instructions given to her by her employers (to great entertainment) but makes killer desserts which save her from getting fired (which she's oblivious to).

OMG you saved me from buying the wrong set!!!!! I was looking at the ones with her as a kid! 

• Love 1

that's a beautiful stone. Is it for your anniversary?

If you like food descriptions, may I recommend the Neil Flambe Capers?  He is a master chef but he's also a kid who solves mysteries.  They're good enough that I take them and read them myself before giving to young relatives.  They may be a bit old for your son but if he likes Roald Dahl he may like them.

Jon Scieszka's books are good and more boy-oriented than some other books recommended here.

I ordered a book called What Would Mary Berry Do? because of the title.  It arrived this week.  So far, so good.

13 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

that's a beautiful stone. Is it for your anniversary?

If you like food descriptions, may I recommend the Neil Flambe Capers?  He is a master chef but he's also a kid who solves mysteries.  They're good enough that I take them and read them myself before giving to young relatives.  They may be a bit old for your son but if he likes Roald Dahl he may like them.

Jon Scieszka's books are good and more boy-oriented than some other books recommended here.

I ordered a book called What Would Mary Berry Do? because of the title.  It arrived this week.  So far, so good.

LoL that cracked me up so bad!

Thanks for all the other recommendations! I've made a masterlist! As of last night we officially have enough presents for him!

I am a bad bad bad girl! Stone is a random stone I stumbled upon while surfing the other forum (someone recommended a website to someone else, I go to the website, browse a few gems, cause myself a lot of grief).

In the spirit of confessing I also bought this! In my defense I picked it up for a song! Seriously it was bargain for the carat weight and colour! 

Hubby is getting me a rose gold bangle for our anniversary to go with this new rose gold kick I am on (which he promotes because he is the King of Pink!). No idea what I want yet though! 

24301164_1543079512478024_6386661619418355054_n (1).jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Thanks for all the other recommendations! I've made a masterlist! As of last night we officially have enough presents for him!

Thanks for asking for recommendations. It was a fun trip down memory lane.  ???

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

You guys are so great at giving recommendations, I thought I'd ask about something I'm considering getting my husband for Christmas . . .

Do any of you use or know someone who uses a straight razor for shaving their face?  My husband expressed interest in it--to my horror, because that always goes wrong in the movies.

I'm looking for advice on brands/companies, blade specs, soaps/lotions, accessories, or anything else you might have some experience with.  For example, do I need to get him a towel steamer?  There is such a wide range in prices for a razor/brush/stand combo (i.e., $40-$600) that I'm not sure where to start.

Squeeeeeeeeeee I am soooo happy I have to share it with you guys! Remember when I was going to fly to Burma for cheap gems? No need! I found another way!

Through a lot of randomness I stumbled upon the nicest gem cutter in my city who was happy to spend time discussing gems with me. I went to see him to buy a particular sapphire but didn't like the stone in real life. He then showed me all sorts of goodies, from cut gems to roughs to diagrams on how to determine how a gem should be cut! I then saw a another sapphire that appealed to me but it looked pretty dark in the abysmal lighting in his office. He sold it to me for a REALLY good price and I was happy to buy it, knowing it was darker than ideal because beggars can't be choosers right? It was dark but pretty to me and had lovely blue green tints.

Well this is what I thought I bought based on bad lighting and how it looked like in the box:

20171214_135329.thumb.jpg.1df95aeaa02e211a3e2b68cd27afb3e1.jpg

This is what it looked like out of the box at home in my hand in natural lighting!!!!! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE OMG THIS IS MY DREAM PEACOCK COLOUR!!!!!!!!!

20171214_162415.jpg.c0c1cde8c802c1529e31b09e33e11336.jpg

And he says I can visit him anytime to look at any interesting gems he's cutting and play with them. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

You guys are so great at giving recommendations, I thought I'd ask about something I'm considering getting my husband for Christmas . . .

Do any of you use or know someone who uses a straight razor for shaving their face?  My husband expressed interest in it--to my horror, because that always goes wrong in the movies.

I'm looking for advice on brands/companies, blade specs, soaps/lotions, accessories, or anything else you might have some experience with.  For example, do I need to get him a towel steamer?  There is such a wide range in prices for a razor/brush/stand combo (i.e., $40-$600) that I'm not sure where to start.

My grandfather was a barber and he used straight razors for his clients — and for himself. I remember cutting myself on the razor when I was little and it panicked everyone. Unfortunately, I can no longer ask him. Does your hubby have a barber? Has he ever gone for a shave with a straight razor? Maybe start there, call up the barber shop and just ask?

• Love 1

My grampa had one of those old-fashioned mugs with a brush and some kind of special hard soap he'd make all foamy to use when he shaved.  When he died, it was the one thing my mom most wanted of his.  The straight razor seems like a crazy step backward (Can you imagine using it to shave your legs or pits?  The stuff of nightmares.) but the stuff that goes with it, the soaps and scents and balms and tonics are kind of great.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

My grandfather was a barber and he used straight razors for his clients — and for himself. I remember cutting myself on the razor when I was little and it panicked everyone. Unfortunately, I can no longer ask him. Does your hubby have a barber? Has he ever gone for a shave with a straight razor? Maybe start there, call up the barber shop and just ask?

Unfortunately, he doesn't go to a barber.  His hairline has receded as he's aged, so he just does that sexy barely-a-buzz cut himself at home.  I grew up with male relatives with male pattern baldness, and I'm so glad that men today just embrace it.  I've witnessed my dad and uncles doing hair pieces, combovers, and the long ponytail down the back with nothing on top.

5 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

My grampa had one of those old-fashioned mugs with a brush and some kind of special hard soap he'd make all foamy to use when he shaved.  When he died, it was the one thing my mom most wanted of his.  The straight razor seems like a crazy step backward (Can you imagine using it to shave your legs or pits?  The stuff of nightmares.) but the stuff that goes with it, the soaps and scents and balms and tonics are kind of great.  

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about the idea of a straight razor, but he's wanted to shave with one for so long.  I think he's just nostalgic for a time he's never lived in.  Apparently, straight razors are making a comeback for their superior shave.  I'm just glad he isn't into hipster beards--no thanks!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Japanese-Straight-Razor-Black/dp/B0060QYUP4/ref%3Dzg_bs_13271090011_36?tag=offersamzn-20&ascsubtag=bst-13-1586767464843248807

I use this when I shave for like weddings or the like.   I don't use it very often so I wasn't going to spend a fortune on something so trivial when my Harry's razors from target work just as well,  if not better,  but it's fun to use to feel fancy for a little while. 

• Love 1