Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, statsgirl said:

No, it's two months past it's warranty.  (Shocker, I know.)  Good to know though I'd never thought of that.

Thanks for the info on your experience using other batteries.

I've used some Amazon ones on my HP computer and have not had any major problems. I even got the larger cell one for more battery life. I will say that they only really lasted about a year or so. I've never bought a HP battery, so I can't compare. However, I recently got 2 of them from one company off Amazon (can't remember name, sorry) and had some fit issues. Of course people mentioned this is the comments and I chose to ignore it or hope I was exempted. I did get a full refund though. The battery is off a little in measurements, so I think it leads my computer to not recognize that a battery is in there. I would recommend reading the comments sections and seeing if people have had issues if you go off market.

I guess I would consider how important a working battery is. I predominantly use my laptop for internet and basic functions. I don't mind that I really don't use it as laptop, since it's plugged in more often than not even when I had a functional battery. But if I wanted to use the portability of my laptop more or I used it for work/important projects, I would probably invest more in a good battery.

Good Luck! :)

Watched Lethal Weapon! Great show!

Got me curious though since the kid in the story lived 45min away from his college but still went to live at college anyway. I'm always under the impression that in the States no one stays home for college. Is that true?

Do you move back home after college or is that it you're on your own?

The university I went to was 3 hours away from my parents so I lived away from home. After college, I moved back home. I lived there about a year and half while working and trying to find a decent full-time job. Once I had one and was making enough to support myself, I moved out.

With the economy and housing being not so great lately, I do have friends who have moved their families back in with relatives. There have been a few tight years I've thought about moving back in with my parents to save money, but they live a few states away and in the middle of nowhere so it's not exactly feasible for me. 

My mom and dad lived in different states when I was in high school. The college I wanted to go to was in the state my mom lived in. So I moved across the country to live with her while I was in school, and once I graduated I moved out on my own immediately, haha. 

Edited by apinknightmare

I got a very generous merit scholarship for good college that happened to be 15 minutes away and stayed with my parents to make up for the rest of tuition to keep the savings for an investment in a car and for savings for more permanent housing (saved a bunch), but the downside was that commuter freshmen usually end up being way more isolated from the other students. I think only about a small percentage of people actually commuted (with a friend of mine in actually a much worse financial situation also living about 15-20 minutes away actually choosing to live on campus despite the high living prices, kind of pushing that "no one stays at home in college" image).

32 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

It used to be that people lived on their own after college.  But that was in the days when jobs were plentiful.  Now many college grads can't get paid jobs and are either underemployed or working unpaid internships "for the experience" (aka exploitation).  There's often no choice but to move back home.

the downside was that commuter freshmen usually end up being way more isolated from the other students.

I lived at home and commuted an hour each way (couldn't afford to live in residence) and I found it really limited me socially and in terms of extracurricular activities.  I really wished I could have afforded to live on campus.

47 minutes ago, kismet said:

I've used some Amazon ones on my HP computer and have not had any major problems. I even got the larger cell one for more battery life. I will say that they only really lasted about a year or so. I've never bought a HP battery, so I can't compare. However, I recently got 2 of them from one company off Amazon (can't remember name, sorry) and had some fit issues.

The battery died on my old Dell laptop, which isn't really so old (2010) but Dell no longer carries them.  I bought a generic one but the computer won't even turn on any more so I'm wary of buying a new battery from Amazon for the new laptop.  But buying one from HP is really a ridiculous cost.

Edited by statsgirl
34 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Watched Lethal Weapon! Great show!

Got me curious though since the kid in the story lived 45min away from his college but still went to live at college anyway. I'm always under the impression that in the States no one stays home for college. Is that true?

I went to college an hour away from my childhood home. Moved back after graduation and moved to SoCal two months later.

I wish I had stayed home and went to the college downtown instead. I LOVED it when I took a class for the summer there. I fit it there so much better there. But then I did that during my senior year so I wouldn't have to go another year after changing majors. So maybe as a 18 year old I wouldn't have been okay with being home. Oh Well.

I went to college about a 15 minute car drive from my parents' place, and I still chose to live around campus all 4 years. It was just too convenient to be able to roll out of bed and walk 4 blocks to class. And there were so many college experiences I wouldn't have been able to do if I had to live at home with my conservative parents.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It used to be that people lived on their own after college.  But that was in the days when jobs were plentiful.  Now many college grads can't get paid jobs and are either underemployed or working unpaid internships "for the experience" (aka exploitation).  There's often no choice but to move back home.

I lived at home and commuted an hour each way (couldn't afford to live in residence) and I found it really limited me socially and in terms of extracurricular activities.  I really wished I could have afforded to live on campus.

Do they have grad recruitment programs in your neck of the woods?

When I was a grad the big companies would do their recruitment stint and pay us about $40K a year. It was piddly but enough to live on. You would get a promotion or two after you did your time and then they'd give you like an extra $3K per promotion, the cheap bastards! So what everyone did was after a couple of years in a higher role we'd all switch employers and then you'd get your $20K raise. Leaving was the only way to get more money.

From what I've heard they still do the same thing these days. 

I'm probably late to the party but Big Little Lies is probably the best show I've watched in a long time. And the first show I've watched which feels like it's female driven and not falsely claiming to be. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Thanks guys! Really interesting how different it is to here.

Everyone lives at home where I come from. The joke is that we won't get rid of our kids until they graduate from university and get a paid full time job. 

2 of my cousins are going to school less than 45 min from their homes and they chose to live on campus and get the full college experience. I went to a school 2 hours away and then moved home after graduation for a few years.

I can't speak for everyone but, I know in my family (Italian Decent) kids aren't expected to move out until they get married, especially the girls.  

1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

I'm probably late to the party but Big Little Lies is probably the best show I've watched in a long time. And the first show I've watched which feels like it's female driven and not falsely claiming to be. 

So amazing! I loved the series! And per the articles is was female driven, Reese Witherspoon was reading the book loved it and called Nicole Kidman up to talk about doing a series with it. And then together they got together the project.

I definitely recommend reading the book Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty that the series is based upon. As extremely good as the series was, I think the book was even better.

Personally, I'm excited that there may be a season 2 but I am also very scared that they will mess it up. It was so well executed in the original series, I don't know if they can match that in another season, especially since so much of the plot has been wrapped up. I guess they could introduce a new mystery or tell the story from another perspective. But it's going to be challenging, I don't want it to become like Desperate Housewives, where it felt inauthentic to have so drama/trauma happen to one cul-de-sac while the others remained unscathed. But if there is a season 2, I will watch it wholeheartedly.

• Love 1

I went to college on the other side of the country and lived the whole time on campus. My school was in a small town and it would have been very unusual to live off campus. I can't remember anyone that did and I'm not sure if it was even permitted. 

The local university where I grew up has such a large student body that I think they can only accommodate freshman on campus and then everyone lives off campus after. 

22 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Everyone lives at home where I come from. The joke is that we won't get rid of our kids until they graduate from university and get a paid full time job. 

Does "everyone" mean Australians or your ethnic group?

I'm first generation Canadian and my parents had a very difficult time changing their expectations.  For them, people lived at home if they went to college in the same city.  (Granted at home the dorms were 8 people to a room.)  When I was in my final year of high school, my curfew on weekend nights was 9 p.m.  I tried to explain that the parties started at 8 and they were all "Why can't they hold the parties in the afternoon?"

14 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do they have grad recruitment programs in your neck of the woods?

I think they still do for the tech industry and some engineering programs.  Everyone else is scrambling.

When I graduated with my general undergrad degree I got a dream job in television. Today someone would need a journalism degree and even then it would probably be an unpaid internship.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Does "everyone" mean Australians or your ethnic group?

I'm first generation Canadian and my parents had a very difficult time changing their expectations.  For them, people lived at home if they went to college in the same city.  (Granted at home the dorms were 8 people to a room.)  When I was in my final year of high school, my curfew on weekend nights was 9 p.m.  I tried to explain that the parties started at 8 and they were all "Why can't they hold the parties in the afternoon?"

I think they still do for the tech industry and some engineering programs.  Everyone else is scrambling.

When I graduated with my general undergrad degree I got a dream job in television. Today someone would need a journalism degree and even then it would probably be an unpaid internship.

I would say Australians in general as most of the Caucasians in my grad program lived at home too. 

Our main issue is not employment but housing. Housing is horribly expensive. 

Hehe I had an 11pm curfew throughout uni. Don't even think of going out at night in high school. Plus I went to an all girls school. It was a shock to meet boys at uni ?

Question for those of you who lived at campus: Do you really eat ramen noodles and junk food or is that a myth?

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Question for those of you who lived at campus: Do you really eat ramen noodles and junk food or is that a myth?

My university had really great food at the campus dining halls, so the first year when most students lived in the dorms and meal plans were included, we ate really well. The ramen/frozen dinners/canned food diet started when I moved into an off campus apartment. I just didn't have time to buy fresh groceries or learn how to cook. 

• Love 3

I had no idea about Ellen Pao, author of Reset: My Fight for Inclusion and Lasting Change. Good for her, my hat off to her trying to shut down sexism on Reddit.

Ellen Pao made headlines in 2015 as interim CEO at Reddit, where she made a widely publicized attempt to shut down subreddits that fostered hate speech, but her fight against sexism in tech goes back much farther. In 2012, she sued venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins for gender discrimination. She lost the case, but her lawsuit inspired so many other women to come forward about Silicon Valley sexism that insiders started referring to the wave of suits as "the Pao effect." Reset offers a clear-eyed account of her experiences as well as Pao's vision for a way forward.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/books/a9204942/best-books-of-2017/

https://www.amazon.com/Reset-Fight-Inclusion-Lasting-Change/dp/039959101X/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=039959101X&linkCode=w61&imprToken=r9Xl8Kj6edvwHWz5.3Y2Cw&slotNum=20&tag=cosmopolitan_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=[artid|10049.a.9204942[src|

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I ate a lot of junk food but in addition to the meal plan not as my meals. There was one dorm that had rooms with kitchens but most people did meals plans the whole time.

The myth of the freshman fifteen was definitely true. ?????????

• Love 2

In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, this interview is a hella interesting watch and sheds a light on how fcked up the entire entertainment industry really is:

Edited by strikera0
On 10/22/2017 at 0:08 AM, Mellowyellow said:

I would eat ramen, the trick was to only cover to the top of the noodles in the styrofoam, not to the line. They also created microwavable Mac & Cheese. Cook the Pasta & then add the powder. It was yummy.

I definitely did not live off of it, I had a meal plan in the dining commons (dc). And then when I moved off-campus into an apt, my roomies and I would cook meals. But there were ramen or take-out (take-away) to snack on or supplement if I did not make it to the dc.

Ugh,  I'm so glad that I don't spend my evenings adding random seasonings to my cup of noodles trying to shake things up or eating entirely too much Mickey Ds  Being older has some benefits. 

On 10/20/2017 at 11:29 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Thanks guys! Really interesting how different it is to here.

I think it also can also depend on your ethnicity/race. I'm South Asian American, and multi-generational living is super common in South Asia, so it never seemed like a big deal to me. I'm actually living with my parents currently -- I recently finished graduate school and decided to take some time off and try to find a non-academic teaching job so I could be closer to my parents (and siblings, who live in cities closer to them, although one is moving back with her husband NEXT week). I was worried about the decision, because I did enjoy living on my own, but I'm also glad to be back around my family, particularly since my parents were having serious health issues when I was away (although they're better/more stable now). 

I also know of others who live with their parents, or in the case of family friends, their daughter, her husband, and their two kids live in the same house as them -- the daughter and her family fitted out her parents' basement into a separate apartment/living space.

That said, does anyone have any tips on surviving the job search? I find it so disheartening and overwhelming. I have a part time job now, which is great and letting me meet lots of people at different organizations around the city, and I'm doing some freelance stuff on the side, but the city I live in is kind of small town while also a city, meaning it's a little clique-y and hard to break into. 

I wish you the best of luck @popgoesculture.  Looking for a job is really rough these days.  Soul-killing.

Good for you for working part time and feelance stuff.  One of the hardest parts of looking for work is getting rejected so if you can find something that boosts your self-esteem, it helps. 

I've heard that a good social media presence in your field also helps because you can demonstrate that you're on top of the latest research and ideas, and that you're energetic and a self-starter.  (See also Lily Singh who started her videos as a way to get over depression) In my field, publications and speaking engagements help too.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

The CW Nabs ‘End Of The World’ Alien Hunters Dramedy From Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker & Rob Thomas
by Nellie Andreeva • October 24, 2017
http://deadline.com/2017/10/the-cw-buy-end-of-the-world-comedy-justin-halpern-patrick-schumacker-rob-thomas-1202192333/

In a preemptive buy, the CW has taken in comedic drama It’s The End Of The World As We Know It from Powerless executive producers/showrunners Justin Halpern and Patrick Schumacker, Veronica Mars creator Rob Thomas and Warner Bros. TV.

Written by Halpern and Schumacker, It’s The End Of The World As We Know It is based on the 2012 Alloy book of the same name by Iva-Marie Palmer. In the show, when a prison spaceship carrying the universe’s most deadly aliens crashes in Southern California, two millennial women with bigger dreams than working at a kids’ pizza place in The Valley are recruited by a space cop to hunt down the escaped criminals, who have camouflaged themselves as eccentric Angelenos.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, popgoesculture said:

That said, does anyone have any tips on surviving the job search? I find it so disheartening and overwhelming. I have a part time job now, which is great and letting me meet lots of people at different organizations around the city, and I'm doing some freelance stuff on the side, but the city I live in is kind of small town while also a city, meaning it's a little clique-y and hard to break into. 

I think having a part-time job is a great thing and it sounds like you are doing a lot of what is suggested already.

One thing I can offer is that everyone I know gets their jobs through networking now and it's not even an obvious connection like a lawyer introducing you to another lawyer. I once got a job because my mom's childhood friend's son was friend of friends with someone in my city in my field and we met up for coffee. Make sure you are letting everyone you know and your parents know that you are looking and use your school's alumni resources as much as you can. Also, I am an introvert and I haaaaaaate talking about myself or promoting myself, so make sure to practice that. 

I wish you the very best of luck! 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1

Job hunting for me is alllll about LinkedIn.  I don't think I've gone looking for a job in the last 20 years, it's been all recruiters reaching out to me.  Make sure your LinkedIn profile is up to date, and notifies recruiters that you are interested in opportunities.  It may not be the same for all fields, however.  I work mainly in online tech/commerce, so it may rely more on LinkedIn than other professions.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, leopardprint said:

Make sure you are letting everyone you know and your parent's know that you are looking and use your school's alumni resources as much as you can. Also, I am an introvert and I haaaaaaate talking about myself or promoting myself, so make sure to practice that. 

Oof, I am also a huge introvert and absolutely hate networking... but your advice makes total sense. I'll have to push myself more particularly with the people I'm meeting through my part-time job. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in hating networking, though! I'm thinking about getting a headhunter possibly, because it might help me focus the search more, since what I'm doing isn't working great. I've had a few interviews, but they haven't gone where I want them to, unfortunately. I've never used a headhunter before but some sort of additional guidance/eyes out there might help. 

Thanks to everyone for the advice! It's reassuring to know people have been through it before/are going through it now. It can feel very isolating and frustrating. But I will also try to beef up my social media presence and my LinkedIn particularly. I'm not sure if that helps as much in the humanities/higher education fields, but you never know!

• Love 1

I think the LinkedIn connection is a good idea.  I sit on the Alumni Association of my undergrad college and they're really pushing mentoring and LinkedIn.

I hate networking too but it is one of the best way to make contacts.  Studies find that people look at credentials but hire people they think would be pleasant to work with.  (Another reason company boards are filled with white men.)  Knowing someone who knows someone means that you already have more points with the person hiring.

--

I was trying to do some research in some academic journals today,  I can get the abstracts but if I want to read the actual academic article, it's going to cost me $40 US per article so of course I didn't get all the information I wanted. This may sound reasonable until you know that the journal doesn't pay the researchers for their article, it's the researcher who have to pay to be published.  It can cost from $1,000 to $5,000 to get your research published online in a good journal. It feels like robber baron time.  I remembered Aaron Swartz.  He was a programmer and a hacker and among other things one of the developers of RSS and Reddit.  He believed that those articles should be available for free and he hooked up to an MIT computer and was downloading JSTOR articles and letting people have access to them for free.  He was arrested, and looking at 35 years in prison plus a $1 million fine, he committed suicide at 26.  I think there should be a statue to him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I was trying to do some research in some academic journals today,  I can get the abstracts but if I want to read the actual academic article, it's going to cost me $40 US per article so of course I didn't get all the information I wanted. This may sound reasonable until you know that the journal doesn't pay the researchers for their article, it's the researcher who have to pay to be published.  It can cost from $1,000 to $5,000 to get your research published online in a good journal. It feels like robber baron time.  I remembered Aaron Swartz.  He was a programmer and a hacker and among other things one of the developers of RSS and Reddit.  He believed that those articles should be available for free and he hooked up to an MIT computer and was downloading JSTOR articles and letting people have access to them for free.  He was arrested, and looking at 35 years in prison plus a $1 million fine, he committed suicide at 26.  I think there should be a statue to him.

I used to work as a book editor for a couple of different publishers that also published academic journals and the journals basically kept the rest of the company afloat. For 20 years publishers have just been waiting for someone to shut down the whole thing--universities, libraries, or maybe a European country--but no one ever does. Even people in publishing found it gross, and it was paying our salaries.  

• Love 2

@popgoesculture, do they hold job fairs for the type of work you're looking for? It helps if the companies don't just collect resumes but have actual people to do pre-interviews and such. That way you get a sense of the company and somebody already in the company gets a sense of who you are. It's great if you don't have a foot in the door yet. But yeah, networking is pretty important, if only to remind people that you're there and available. 

-------

In other news :) I saw this on Twitter and thought it was fairly interesting: The chatter is wrong though, it's not the writers who complained. A fan asked the question after managing to get his/her hand on the script.

• Love 1

I haven't seen this season of Outlander yet, but so far Sam Heughan has done an amazing job bringing Jamie to life onscreen. It can't have been an easy job considering how long and ardently fans have wanted to see Jamie onscreen. I can remember at his casting, I was skeptical because he was not what I had imagined in my head. Personally, I think he doesn't get enough respect or mention during award seasons, as I think especially in s1 his work was deserving award attention.

As for the fan who asked the question, I'm a little disappointed in them. You manage to get a script, it doesn't mean everything is going to play out that way. Be grateful, you got your hands on a script. As for the writers, they just seem a little touchy and overworked over nothing. For me it doesn't count as a script change if an actor, director and editor all chose to go with a different interpretation of the wording. From what was said in that article, SH still broke down, it just wasn't enough for some fans and the writers. But scripts get changed all the time from print to screen. Out of all of the changes that have been made to the Outlander series, I would think this is likely a minor one. And no offense, but action lines are open to interpretation in a visual medium that is why there are different takes. SH went one way with it and a lot of people responsible for delivering the series decided it was the correct way to go.

• Love 1
On 10/6/2017 at 9:52 PM, Delphi said:

Ugh,  I get home from work tonight with a leak in my bathroom from the upstairs unit.   Understandably, I'm annoyed and go outside to smoke a cigarette.   My balcony door is tampered with and no longer locks and the frame looks like someone tried to break in.   I'm on the ground floor.   Weekend effectively ruined. 

And break in achieved.   My doors were completely smashed and they managed to steal all our gaming systems, a thousand dollars,  my mother in laws engagement ring and our gun.   Good times.

13 minutes ago, Delphi said:

And break in achieved.   My doors were completely smashed and they managed to steal all our gaming systems, a thousand dollars,  my mother in laws engagement ring and our gun.   Good times.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. What do the police say? Any suspects? 

23 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Ugh, that's the worst.  I went through something like this years ago, and it still leaves me feeling unnerved.  My laptops (both personal and work) were stolen, along with cash and an old phone.  Oddly, they ignored the hundreds of dollars worth of xmas gifts under the tree.  They never caught who did it, but my find my phone tracking located the laptop to my next door neighbors (the police said they couldn't use the find my phone pings on my phone and laptop).  It sucked.  I hated knowing they went into my bedroom and through all of my stuff.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Oh no! So sorry! Stay safe. 

No suspects,  but we were the third in one day so I dunno. 

@Kymmi They actually left our laptops and tablets,  which I'm both shocked and thankful,  apparently these days it's too much work  to try to break into the systems.   They also let us keep our tv.   So I got to watch Lot, small miracles. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Delphi said:

I'm so sorry to hear that!! Best of luck recovering. I hope things get better for you. Stay Safe!

Edited by kismet

I am so sorry for your loss @Delphi I am glad you were not at home. I walked in on my neighbor with a bat stealing and breaking everything he could. He came after me but I wasn’t alone. My friend called the Sheriff and he pulled me to safety. Items are replaceable you are not. 

2 hours ago, Delphi said:

Oh no. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you and yours are okay though. Ugh, this really sucks. :(

I was home during a break in. Long story but they fled after throwing shoes at me. They didn't take anything but still have memories of it.

Edited by catrox14
2 hours ago, Delphi said:

Oh, that's so crappy!  I'm so sorry to hear that.  And since you had that other attempt, now there's the future to have to try and ward off and avoid repeating.  Smashing doors sounds really extreme.  Glass or solid?

2 hours ago, Kymmi said:

Ugh, that's the worst.  I went through something like this years ago, and it still leaves me feeling unnerved.  My laptops (both personal and work) were stolen, along with cash and an old phone.  Oddly, they ignored the hundreds of dollars worth of xmas gifts under the tree.  They never caught who did it, but my find my phone tracking located the laptop to my next door neighbors (the police said they couldn't use the find my phone pings on my phone and laptop).  It sucked.  I hated knowing they went into my bedroom and through all of my stuff.

20 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

I am so sorry for your loss @Delphi I am glad you were not at home. I walked in on my neighbor with a bat stealing and breaking everything he could. He came after me but I wasn’t alone. My friend called the Sheriff and he pulled me to safety. Items are replaceable you are not. 

Wow, neighbors suck!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm so sorry @Delphi! That totally sucks! Hopefully you guys will work out what you need to do to stay safe!

@BunsenBurner is the guy in jail?  That's so awful!!!!! 

He spent one year in prison and had to pay restitution every week. It was weird. He is now living at home. But this is not about me here. 

I was was just trying to say as @BkWurm1 said so eloquently, ‘neighbors suck!!’

Edited by BunsenBurner