Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I loved what TWoP gave me but I've found my new home. Previously has the same level of smart conversation and well moderated forums. I know others have talked about over exacting mods there but I was fortunate not to have run into that. (Which given the level of vitriol on the Smallville page was impressive).

Still, I feel the best parts of those forums lived on here. Like I said. I'm home.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 11
  • Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss TWOP, mostly their recaps. I haven't found a site that does recaps like they did. I agree that the mods over there (I'll be nice and say) were overprotective. However Previously has made up for it on the forum side. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6

I miss TWOP, too, having been probably a daily denizen there from 2000 until it closed. Of course, since the creators created PTV, I'm quite happy here. I think I liked the relaxed mod rules (while still keeping the boards a tight ship) here better. I had some great experiences on the TWOP forums, though. 

• Love 9

I miss some of the recaps.  Wing Chun's (aka Tara Ariano) ER recaps were fabulous.  And I made some friends I have to this day.  But the show forums were a problem because the rules varied from board to board. What was behaviour we were told to do on one show's board got you a warn or banned on another.  Even though I wanted to follow the rules, I never knew what the rules were.  More times than I can remember I woke up in the middle of the night and ran downstairs to turn on the computer to change something I wrote in case it was taken the wrong way.

I started out at MightyBigTV, and went through TWoP but I'm happiest here.  A thousand kudos to the mods here, they are the greatest.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

Yeah, I think the mods here mostly hit the sweet spot bw too much and not enough. 

I do miss Demian's recaps of Charmed and various recappers' takes on Supernatural, which was my fave show for a couple years.

I'd be glad for twop for the recaps I miss Cindy's OUaT recaps a lot. But the boards. ..were intense to say the least. The rules, the mods, the username selection process. I lurked over there more than anything because the very idea of posting was intimidating. I'm so glad I found previously because I honestly enjoy conversing with you guys and I probably never would have over there.

• Love 7

^^^ That was my experience too. I lurked for the longest time here because the TwoP boards stressed me out and made me really skittish about posting anywhere. I'm glad that the mods and posters here are more chill.

My favorite recaps were the ones Omar G did for Smallville. I thought he hit the perfect balance of snark and exasperated affection for the show. I remember how Jacob's recaps were 15 pages of abstract thoughts. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5

Interesting. I thought I was the only one who lurked around the TWoP boards without joining the conversation  :) I don't think I had a show I was passionate about to talk about at length back then but I enjoyed the discussions and, yes, the recaps. 

My favorite recaps were the ones Omar G did for Smallville. I thought he hit the perfect balance of snark and exasperated affection for the show. I remember how Jacob's recaps were 15 pages of abstract thoughts. 

I love Omar's Smallville recaps. Couldn't  read Jacob's, no one has that much time to read a recap on a tv show. 

I could see that posting on TWOP would be intimidating. I got a couple of warnings, some I didn't even know why. Once it wasn't even me that said anything, they showed me the post and it was someone elses. I think I did get them to take it back after that. Despite all that I still loved the discussions. I was a huge part of the Lost Fandom, that's where I spent most of my time and got most of my warnings. 

• Love 5

Sadly, I found TWOP out shortly before it shut down. The announcement that it was about to close was already up - I managed to catch up with recaps of my favorite shows and lurked a bit in the fora, where people talked about migrating here..and that's how I found PrevTv. :)

• Love 1

I lurked for years and posted sporadically on MBTV & TWOP. Shows like Roswell and occasionally Greys Anatomy read so many recaps I liked that there was a board for everything and loved the recaps but I love this Board and posting here.

• Love 1

I miss some of the recaps.  Wing Chun's (aka Tara Ariano) ER recaps were fabulous.  And I made some friends I have to this day.  But the show forums were a problem because the rules varied from board to board. What was behaviour we were told to do on one show's board got you a warn or banned on another.  Even though I wanted to follow the rules, I never knew what the rules were.  More times than I can remember I woke up in the middle of the night and ran downstairs to turn on the computer to change something I wrote in case it was taken the wrong way.

I started out at MightyBigTV, and went through TWoP but I'm happiest here.  A thousand kudos to the mods here, they are the greatest.

I agree with this completely.

First Dr. Strange trailer is up. Serving up some Batman Begins realness. I was waiting for Liam Neeson to pop out with some ninjas. I'm going to need to see some more of this to care, but it's not like Marvel doesn't already take all my money.

• Love 1

Is anyone watching Undercover? It's a new BBC miniseries and I'm really enjoying the first two episodes that have come out so far. It's based on the revelations that undercover police officers had been forming long term relationships with activists, and even having children with them in some cases, since the 80s. It sort of takes it a step further in that the couple have been married for twenty years and have three children, and Maya (the wife who is played by an amazing actress) is in fact a criminal defense lawyer who's been approached to be promoted to a really public position, meaning that the fact that the husband isn't who he says he is may be revealed. I highly recommend it because I'm loving what I've seen so far. 

Is this the show? http://dave.uktv.co.uk/shows/undercover/I don't see a Maya among the characters. Does she have a smaller role? But if it's 6 episodes in all, I'm willing to give it a go. I don't feel like watching another full season show at the moment.

Nope. It's giving on the BBC right now so I'm actually not sure if you can get it in the US, and only two episodes have been released. Maya and her husband Nick are the two main characters. This is the website to the show

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b076vdbc

• Love 1

Thanks. I'm not in the US, so that's fine.

For something completely different, maybe you guys have already seen this, but it's new to me and it's so addictive and upbeat:

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 3

I'll second the love for the iZombie finale. It was so much fun. I felt the show really came into its own this season, and it's become one of my favorites. 

Edited by Coop33
  • Love 5

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I have one huge problem with iZombie---Major.  I've never really cared much about the guy, but I pretty much hated him after he left the dog on the bus.  I'm not a fan of the actor--I find him majorly (ha!) bland---but I think I could have cared about him if they had cast someone with charisma.  His storyline is okay, but I definitely don't ship him with Liv, and I fear that he's the endgame guy.  Bleh!

• Love 2

That was so great. It's like a therapy session all by itself.

Loca also has a Facebook page, a bunch of other youtube videos and a book. I bought two hard copies of the book, which is really funny and heartbreaking. I think they sold out hard copies (they paid to have it printed), but it might still be available electronically.

• Love 1

Don't tell me it's heartbreaking. I literally cannot take any more heartbreaking at this point.

Especially animal stories.  I avoid watching animal movies because it makes me too sad.

Loca's fine, and her brother Alfie and big dog siblings are fine. The book just ends with an elderly grandparent's and then her elderly dog's passings, but it's not awful, bc they were loved and cared for (they both move in with the family) and died surrounded by love.

It's honestly mostly tremendously funny, as you could gather from the videos, which are both clever and funny.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

Is anyone here still watching Blindspot? I'm about five episodes behind and I'm having a really hard time motivating myself to keep going with it. I feel like I should at least finish out this season, since I've come this far, but I have really lost interest.

• Love 1

I made it to the winter finale of Blindspot, but the lead guy bores me, so when he didn't die, my interest did.

It's funny - he's playing the same sort of role as Oliver on Arrow - grim, stoic, PTSD, shoots people, wears great suits - but while Oliver more or less works for me, when he's not involved in Silly Plot Contrivances, this guy doesn't. And I haven't really gotten attached to the other characters either.

• Love 3

I made it to the winter finale of Blindspot, but the lead guy bores me, so when he didn't die, my interest did.

I forgot I had quit after the Winter finale, so I ended up watching the returning episode because my DVR caught it. And then I quit it for good, deleting settings and all. I really like Patterson, but she's not enough for me to deal with Woodface McBlankness.

• Love 1

Yeah, gave up on Blindspot as well, but more because Jane bores me. I like Patterson, too, and Tasha. And I loved Sullivan in Strike Back so there's leftover good will there, but yeah Weller is just boring as hell. The show is also not giving me enough clues to the actual mystery to care (kinda like Arrow).

• Love 1

I also tend to hate main characters keeping secrets from each other. As long as Jane was as in the dark about her past as the rest of the team, I was interested in the mystery. But now that she's hiding stuff from them, it's really affected my interest. I mean, I understand it from a storytelling perspective, but on a personal level, my interest always takes a dive when characters start having big secrets they're keeping from each other.

• Love 3

I gave up on Blindspot after about 9 episodes. When the show was sticking with being a by the numbers procedural instead of the mystery that made me watch it in the first place.

ETA: I just watched the iZombie finale, are they really going to

kill off all of Liv's boyfriends so she's stuck with Major? I loved Lowell and I was liking Drake. But they did break the status quo and killed off a straight white male character and Matchbox 20's Rob Thomas. I loved that gag on Veronica Mars. I'm happy he was game to show up on this show and get his brains eaten. That's the way you do a finale, it was fun and intense while making me look forward to next season.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Welcome Thundercatmary. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

It's funny - he's playing the same sort of role as Oliver on Arrow - grim, stoic, PTSD, shoots people, wears great suits - but while Oliver more or less works for me, when he's not involved in Silly Plot Contrivances, this guy doesn't. And I haven't really gotten attached to the other characters either.

I thought he was the weak link on Strike Force/Strike Back (depending where you were watching it from).    I wish Philip Winchester had got the gig instead and Stapleton got The Player, which died after 9 episodes.

People complain about SA's acting but when you compare him to someone who is genuinely wooden, you see the difference.

• Love 1

Anyone watched iZombie? :)

ME!!!  And a message to anyone who isn't watching, you should.  It's a consistently entertaining show.  Somehow it's a great mash up of a cop procedural, comedy, a mystery, a drama( but not really melodramatic), and every once and a while, a horror flick (rarely).  It's not like anything.  It even makes a voice over work.  It has sharp, witty writing and while it's not an action show, when it does action, it does it REALLY well. 

I like Arrow (ok, I love it) but I couldn't help note how much better iZombie is written and edited. 

I'll second the love for the iZombie finale. It was so much fun. I felt the show really came into its own this season, and it's become one of my favorites. 

This so much!  The finale was so absurdly fun.  I am not a zombie fan but I love this show.  I sat there on Tuesday and was just amazed at the story telling and the action.  And Rob Thomas...I'm not a big Matchbox 20 fan either, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for him after letting the season end with Philmoregraves gal and Thomas's band mates sitting around

his corpse and casually scooping up gooey brain bits like chip dip.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I have one huge problem with iZombie---Major.  I've never really cared much about the guy, but I pretty much hated him after he left the dog on the bus.  I'm not a fan of the actor--I find him majorly (ha!) bland---but I think I could have cared about him if they had cast someone with charisma.  His storyline is okay, but I definitely don't ship him with Liv, and I fear that he's the endgame guy.  Bleh!

I've recently turned a corner and like him now.  He was incredibly dull the first season.  I think Rob Thomas (the TV guy) has difficulty writing the regular "good guy" without making him initially dull.  Duncan on Veronica Mars and later Piz.  Hated them both.  He does the bad boy wonderfully which is why I keep getting bummed when we lose them, but in the second season, I found Major more interesting. 

It helped a lot him being in the know and I do love he and Ravi being roommates.  He also got points for bringing home the dog, though yeah, I got mad when he dumped the dog on the bus but forgave him when it was confirmed the dog was found right away and got a good home.  (Also made me love Ravi more for caring)

But what has moved me from being ok with him to realizing I like him is Major on brains.  Major all by himself I could give or take, but Major getting a new personality each week, that dude amuses me.  If he continues to amuse me, I might be ok with him as endgame.   And is it wrong that I was totally on board for Liv and Major to just cut the dudes hand off as plan A? 

Hello all! I'm new to this site and wanted to say hi. I'm an Arrow fan, started watching early season 3, love OTA, Felicity and Olicity. Like I said I'm new here do be gentle. :D

Welcome! 

My sister just had a baby boy. She's in Calgary and I'm in Saskatoon lol! I have to find time to go see her with my family! I'm so happy!!

Congrats!!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I didn't realize that Arrow wasn't on last night.  Figured it out when I checked my phone for episode spoilers at 7:30 and there was nothing.  Oops.

I continue to watch Blindspot, and I continue to NOT enjoy the main guy.  His acting has improved, but I still get absolutely no spark between him and Jane.  If I have to choose, I prefer her with the new guy (don't even know his name).  He's better looking and they have more chemistry compared to Jane and FBI guy.

God, OUaT is SOOO boring this half-season.  I want Zelena to go away forever, I want to leave the underworld forever, and oh yeah, please give me lots of Captain Swan stuff because at this point, it's the only reason that I'm still watching.

Orphan Black returns tonight, and 12 Monkeys returns on Monday.  I'm really loving the ads for 12 Monkeys...I think I'll enjoy the direction they've decided to take this season.  My poor DVR can't handle much more, though.  I'm down to 6% and I'm so far behind on every show ever *sobbing*.  

This so much!  The finale was so absurdly fun.  I am not a zombie fan but I love this show.  I sat there on Tuesday and was just amazed at the story telling and the action.[...] I've recently turned a corner and like [Major] now.  He was incredibly dull the first season.[...] It helped a lot him being in the know and I do love he and Ravi being roommates.

We just watched the finale last night, and now I can say officially that iZombie is one of the only shows I watch that stayed great/improved this season (instead of taking a nosedive), and actually the best show I watch right now. I am so impressed with the storytelling, and the way RT/DR made me love every regular/recurring character. I liked Major earlier than most people, I think, but I really, really loved him this season. I think one big reason is that he started to seem more like Robert Buckley, who is pretty charming and hilarious. Plus, the cast is all really good friends, and I think that chemistry comes through with all of them.

I do have some qualms, though. I think they could use a little more internal consistency regarding how the brains affect Liv/other zombies. Like, Blaine is almost always Blaine, regardless, except when convenient to the plot. But the bigger thing is: RT has always had some issues with sexist/racist motifs, and um, those don't seem to be getting any better. So many unforced errors, with zero story function, and it's just like...I wish someone would get in there and tell them it's not cute. But otherwise, they just take so much care with the writing and direction; there are so many callbacks, and the audience is rewarded for paying attention. I think it's the best comic book show on TV (yes, including the Netflix ones, JMO) and one of the best in general.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 5

The thing that impressed me the most is last season they didn't seem to know what to do with either Major or Peyton. Not just character development wise, but they were the leftovers of Liv's former life, that didn't seem to fit in new Liv's narrative. Partly because they weren't in on the secret, and partly because they were very underdeveloped characters. AND THEY FIXED ALL OF IT, and they did it by using Ravi and Blaine as links, as well as Liv, and even Clive in these last few episodes, to make them fit. Very very good writing going on there.

• Love 3

@Carrie Ann, ITA. It's very well written, and it's one of the only shows where I enjoy every single character. I came to like the recurring ones so much that I felt their absence when they weren't there. 

Could you make some example on these sexist/racist motifs you are referring to? At the moment I can't recall noticing that.

I am glad about Clive's new development.Spoiler tagging in case someone's not caught up yet.

About time he knew!

The only complaint I have, is they seem to have completely forgotten about Liv's brother? I thought we'd see that situation addressed.

• Love 1

My only issue with Major now is, I just don't want him and Liv to get back together. Otherwise they managed to give him more of purpose a storyline that I could care about watching. I also like that Peyton wasn't in every single episode, when she showed up it was mostly because of the plot required her which is better than forcing her in storylines like some other shows. 

I'm glad Clive knows and Liv was the one to tell him. It made sense to keep him in the dark until wasn't anymore. I got really excited when Liv went to his place (which was gorgeous) to tell him the truth. That's how you build a story. 

I loved all the Veronica Mars actors popping up and I loved that Kristen Bell actually exists in the iZombieverse. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1