Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Something along these lines.

image.png.c9a16ee71f44e815589cdbd1324a9f9f.pngimage.png.c3e439de99f7c4b258731cc6d34aaf73.pngimage.png.1cc3d8d01f508ce40e685b4298b863ad.png

I got something similar (2 different dresses so I have a choice), though I don’t have a belt or jacket.  Since my weight loss, I have very few clothes.   Will work on that next week. It’s supposed to be 82 degrees next Saturday and possibly rain.  Reception will be inside though.  

Thanks to all for the input. 

3 hours ago, Absolom said:

If it were me, I'd go middle ground. Hints of Western, but not full on.  Like a gathered skirt that I might wear again.

I picked two dresses that I can wear again.  I’ll have two options for Saturday.  I got great deals on them too!  I’m excited!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 10

I'm reading Tia's book now. It's well written and heart stopping. This tradwife stuff is demeaning to women and girls. I'm so glad Tia escaped and I hope others do too. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 9/8/2024 at 8:26 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone attended an outdoor wedding with rustic, western influences?  It’s my nephew’s wedding and he is wearing a cowboy hat!  Lol. And, several men in the family are wearing jeans and boots.  The female attendants are wearing regular dresses and shoes, not boots.  I’ve asked if guests are supposed to wear western wear as well, and am told it doesn’t matter.  So, I’m not sure….I suspect I’ll be in a couple of group photos.  Any ideas? I’m going dress shopping today.  

I wish you could wear the square dance dress I made in 1973.  I wish I still had that dress . . . it was a red plaid.  It pretty much looked like this one.  I can't find the exact pattern again.  I think it was a Butterick pattern.  I made it just for fun.  You could wear something like that without looking too costumey. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364637808186?_nkw=square+dance+dress+patterns&itmmeta=01J7BQ2JQAW1XYBPM67VKRBJKQ&hash=item54e61b663a:g:CDQAAOSwSWllgyPW&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKlCDVBFDxhcKITWRe6llKjJ85%2B47lsYk639eL%2BuWxJuHR6B2ka1evtsJ0lVwh0KenTvXBlY1%2BHjEAQN7xNp9%2BIKvzeGfkkOAR4Z9Q6SP0JLUyfABJCzWVs64K%2FBO4fwpEXxRmkG8EzqVrh%2FPsTP4Co%2F5B1AjF9jhCNGHichnXWdKUuuHEPZJk8W7oWdiOdttpwWUhT2eszUMZH9AlkIMeQd2dlWIh3Fm95ElcCPlE6jU6LIB9Bo0RitqV%2BuxGjPGwU%2FqXDrWYhCLKIWGxBByZZ6kMQh%2FlZCkPwu9SwPMIcDDg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBM4KuK97pk

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

anyone hearing about the line fire, in highland california? its over 20,000 acres and still out of control. well its about 25 minutes from my home. the smoke is unbelievable. even inside my house smells smokey. outside is orangey and the haze is thick. for whatever reason, we are the lucky recipients of the way the wind is blowing. this does not bode well for my lungs. currently in the market for an air purifier as the coughing has begun.

but on a happy note, the wild donkeys came to my yard for breakfast this morning. there were about 20 of them, at one point, including a few babies. i was lucky enough to prevent them from tipping my garbage cans over (its pick up day) but my neighbor, not so much.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 16
51 minutes ago, zoomama said:

anyone hearing about the line fire, in highland california? its over 20,000 acres and still out of control. well its about 25 minutes from my home. the smoke is unbelievable. even inside my house smells smokey. outside is orangey and the haze is thick. for whatever reason, we are the lucky recipients of the way the wind is blowing. this does not bode well for my lungs. currently in the market for an air purifier as the coughing has begun.

but on a happy note, the wild donkeys came to my yard for breakfast this morning. there were about 20 of them, at one point, including a few babies. i was lucky enough to prevent them from tipping my garbage cans over (its pick up day) but my neighbor, not so much.

I’m so sorry. I definitely recommend a good air purifier.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, zoomama said:

We went through horrible smoke from fires three years ago.  The saw mills are still cutting logs from the trees that were burnt.  The orange sky is really eerie and hard to describe.  I got tired of the ash all over my porch, too.  I really feel for you.  I purchased a large Coway air purifier just before we were smoked in, and it really paid for it self.  If you don't want a large one, Amazon has several good purifiers.  I have a small Leviot that works extremely well.  Be sure to order extra filters, and check your HVAC filters, also.  They fill up fast even though all the windows are closed.  Good luck, and have your "go bag" prepared just in case.

• Like 14
5 hours ago, zoomama said:

I am so sorry.  I remember how bad our air quality was from the Canadian wildfires a few years ago, and we are nowhere near the source.  I can't imagine living so close.  During that time, we went on the hunt for air purifiers, and no one had them in stock.  We lucked out and found some in stock at Ikea of all places.  We use this one in our living room, and we use this in our master bedroom.  Both have been wonderful additions, and the filters have lasted quite a long time.  I hope you all have relief soon.

• Like 9
On 9/9/2024 at 10:43 AM, Absolom said:

There's one in the hills above Azusa/Glendora also.  I don't think it's competing with the Line fire, but it's keeping relatives inside.

as of tonight (its 1:26 a.m.) that fire has matched the size of the Line fire in a single day and the airport fire in orange county/riverside county is not far behind. its very frightening to see it on the news.

• Sad 6
  • Thanks 1
On 9/9/2024 at 11:42 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

That’s very nice and what’s so ironic is that one of the dresses I bought is quite similar to it! Color too!   I may post a photo of me at the wedding here. Idk. I’m a pretty private person, but …we’ll see.  

i actually have a pair of cowgirl boots I got in high school that still fit!  I’ve tried them on, but probably won’t wear them since I’m tending to a relapse of plantar fasciitis in my left foot.  With my daily workouts, a foot injury is quite serious, so trying to avoid that.  I’m still on my fitness journey with only a little more to go.  I’m almost at a 90 pound weight loss.  So, looking slim at this wedding is very exciting for me.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 7
  • Love 13
25 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That’s very nice and what’s so ironic is that one of the dresses I bought is quite similar to it! Color too!   I may post a photo of me at the wedding here. Idk. I’m a pretty private person, but …we’ll see.  

i actually have a pair of cowgirl boots I got in high school that still fit!  I’ve tried them on, but probably won’t wear them since I’m tending to a relapse of plantar fasciitis in my left foot.  With my daily workouts, a foot injury is quite serious, so trying to avoid that.  I’m still on my fitness journey with only a little more to go.  I’m almost at a 90 pound weight loss.  So, looking slim at this wedding is very exciting for me.  

Congratulations!  Go, you!!!

• Like 9
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, zoomama said:

as of tonight (its 1:26 a.m.) that fire has matched the size of the Line fire in a single day and the airport fire in orange county/riverside county is not far behind. its very frightening to see it on the news.

I heard that on the news this morning. Thankfully the heatwave has broken. It's a very pleasant 75 at my house right now.  Now if only we could get a very early rain.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

I heard that on the news this morning. Thankfully the heatwave has broken. It's a very pleasant 75 at my house right now.  Now if only we could get a very early rain.

The Davis fire is heading toward Reno and big plumes of smoke are visible from Carson City. It is just hazy where I live, but I know that can change quickly.   The local TV towers lost power yesterday, and PBS was covering some of their programing.  My power was out for almost 3 hours Monday, but Reno and surrounding towns are having major power problems.  The fire has covered over 5000 acres so far.  I want to go to Reno for some shopping, but I decided today was not a good day.  We are having very strong wind gusts.  Temperature is lowering and humidity is rising, (up to maybe 30%) but the wind is really the problem.  No reason has been given for this fire yet, but it started in a recreation area surrounded by grass and trees.  Last I saw, at least 14 structures have been lost, and schools in some areas have been closed.  I agree, it is very scary to see the crawlers on TV with updates.

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone close to a fire.  Stay safe, everyone.

• Hugs 9
  • Sad 7

Evening all.  I was wondering if I could some recommendations on where to stay (or not stay) in Atlantic City.  It'll be my mom and I in mid-October.  I would prefer somewhere "extra" to take her, but I'm also very concerned about safety.  I can't run to save my life, and she's all of 5 feet tall.  Thanks so much!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, sixlets said:

Evening all.  I was wondering if I could some recommendations on where to stay (or not stay) in Atlantic City.  It'll be my mom and I in mid-October.  I would prefer somewhere "extra" to take her, but I'm also very concerned about safety.  I can't run to save my life, and she's all of 5 feet tall.  Thanks so much!

I’m afraid I don’t have any recommendations, but it sure sounds like a great trip for you and your mom.  

• Like 8
13 hours ago, sixlets said:

Why are you worried about safety and running?

• Like 1
On 9/11/2024 at 3:48 PM, CalicoKitty said:

The Davis fire is heading toward Reno and big plumes of smoke are visible from Carson City. It is just hazy where I live, but I know that can change quickly.   The local TV towers lost power yesterday, and PBS was covering some of their programing.  My power was out for almost 3 hours Monday, but Reno and surrounding towns are having major power problems.  The fire has covered over 5000 acres so far.  I want to go to Reno for some shopping, but I decided today was not a good day.  We are having very strong wind gusts.  Temperature is lowering and humidity is rising, (up to maybe 30%) but the wind is really the problem.  No reason has been given for this fire yet, but it started in a recreation area surrounded by grass and trees.  Last I saw, at least 14 structures have been lost, and schools in some areas have been closed.  I agree, it is very scary to see the crawlers on TV with updates.

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone close to a fire.  Stay safe, everyone.

I heard on the radio that the Davis fire by Reno is at least 50% contained, but there are still schools that are closed and traffic problems.  We are expecting rain next week, so that should help.

• Hugs 7
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m afraid I don’t have any recommendations, but it sure sounds like a great trip for you and your mom.  

Aww, thanks so much!  We've never done a girl's trip before, and while she has seen the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay, she has never been to the ocean.  She gets to see the Atlantic cause it's a whole lot cheaper than seeing the Pacific.

6 hours ago, AstridM said:

Why are you worried about safety and running?

Even though my dad passed away nearly 13 years ago, I can hear him saying 'you two are not going to Atlantic City by yourselves'.  Mr. Six also has his concerns.  I was kinda joking when I said it, but in the event of any emergency, we're just not in the best physical condition.  I think to an extent, many people take safety and security into mind when planning a trip.  I just happen to be one of those people.

• Like 9
1 minute ago, sixlets said:

Aww, thanks so much!  We've never done a girl's trip before, and while she has seen the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay, she has never been to the ocean.  She gets to see the Atlantic cause it's a whole lot cheaper than seeing the Pacific.

Even though my dad passed away nearly 13 years ago, I can hear him saying 'you two are not going to Atlantic City by yourselves'.  Mr. Six also has his concerns.  I was kinda joking when I said it, but in the event of any emergency, we're just not in the best physical condition.  I think to an extent, many people take safety and security into mind when planning a trip.  I just happen to be one of those people.

Ah, ok. I took my 89- year old mom on a trip to Memphis in July, and I was certainly also concerned about safety. But we didn’t run into any problems and I hope you don’t, either 🙂. I was so overheated most of the time I doubt I could’ve run if my life depended on it, lol.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

sixlets, go to Cape May ♥

I'll second that.  Great little town right on the ocean with beautiful old Victorian homes. Lots of good places to eat and things to see and do.  Spent a week of vacation there a few years back.

• Like 11