Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

This may sound super crabby, but why do my retired friends choose to call me at dinner time? Or in the evening at all? We have an evening routine that we like, and phone calls are as irritating to me as they are to my millenial offspring. I don't mind texts. I've taken to turning my phone off in the evening!

• Like 9
21 hours ago, BetyBee said:

This may sound super crabby, but why do my retired friends choose to call me at dinner time? Or in the evening at all? We have an evening routine that we like, and phone calls are as irritating to me as they are to my millenial offspring. I don't mind texts. I've taken to turning my phone off in the evening!

I have the trifecta*: old, crabby, and retired.  I don't have set meal times.  I have two kids and I wish they would call me.

I do miss old-fashioned answering machines when you could listen as someone was leaving a message and pick up if it was someone you wanted to talk to.

*  What comes after trifecta?  I need to add "and I'm starting to sound like my mother-in-law".

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

@Salacious Kitty  How are you doing with the rain?  My brother is on the coast near Santa Cruz and said they were hit pretty hard yesterday.  Their power had been off  for 4 hours when he texted last night.  I don't know if it is back or not.  

Our weather forecast was for about 4 inches of snow, but it wasn't very accurate.  We had over 10 inches with very strong winds.  But our power stayed on.  It is nice and sunny today.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 3

We got hammered all weekend. Yesterday was more intermittent though, but gale force winds tore through. Power thankfully remained on, just a few small branches down. 

And while I am here, I thought that after a week off, we would have an entirely new look! 

• Like 12

I'm not on any other forums so it kind of felt like my mom put my blankie in the wash without telling me and then it took forever for it to be washed and dried. On Day 6 I must have come here 20 times, then again on Day 3 probably 10 times. And because I don't pay attention, I assumed Monday meant midnight, not noon, which for me was 3 pm.

I'm kind of confused with the new info. Will we not have a moderator assigned to each show?

• Like 15
16 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I just hope Howard from the old boards doesn't come back.  I never did understand some of the criticism.  No one escaped having their posts edited in some way.

Nooooooooo!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
(edited)
47 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not on any other forums so it kind of felt like my mom put my blankie in the wash without telling me and then it took forever for it to be washed and dried. On Day 6 I must have come here 20 times, then again on Day 3 probably 10 times. And because I don't pay attention, I assumed Monday meant midnight, not noon, which for me was 3 pm.

I'm kind of confused with the new info. Will we not have a moderator assigned to each show?

I was similarly hopeful and confused about when the forums would be back. I am surprised to read the info about the reset. I guess I pick well-moderated forums with good people because any instances of bullying or non-inclusive language I have seen has been swiftly, compassionately, and appropriately dealt with. Huh.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 17

I just spoke to my brother.  They were on the coast near Santa Cruz in California and had to come home early.  When we spoke yesterday their power had been out for several hours, and they found out today that it won't be back on for at least two more days, so they went back home to the central valley.  They can't avoid all the rain, but at least they have electricity.

I hope everyone in California is staying safe and above water.

My friends here just had to move into a hotel for a few days because a hose bib outside broke and flooded three bedrooms.  They don't know when they can go back to their house.  Winter weather can certainly be inconvenient at times.

• Hugs 10

It has been nutso here. We were on a regular Zoom call with friends yesterday during the worst of the storm and we were in our dining room with the sliding glass door. We had to keep exclaining and ducking at the wild wind gusts and horizontal rain. We are lucky and have no damage, though, just some branches on the deck and one bird feeder blown down.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 9
6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think the mods are tag teaming. Mods aren't listed at the top of the page any longer. 

Maybe they plan on making clear any changes to the posters? I would find that helpful.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe they plan on making clear any changes to the posters? I would find that helpful.

Right? All we know now is that there were some toxic places that needed to be changed. But other than that, what?

• Like 3

My theory is there was crap going on “behind the scenes “. It makes sense when the site was offline, but nothing technical was changed, as far as I can see. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 7

It's also interesting that you don't *have* to click the banner to read or post. I didn't even notice it until I saw y'all talking about it and decided to read it. You'd think if they were serious about wanting to make whatever changes, the post would be compulsory to read and agree to or whatever before you can post.

• Like 7

I also always thought Scarlett did a terrific job, kindly and thoughtfully. Plus I loved hearing about her pets and her family. Thank you, Scarlett, if you're reading.

And while I'm at it-- thanks to all the contributors here for your snark and knowledge and compassion, especially during the depths of the pandemic. If we're heading toward the end of Primetimer forums, please always remember to have cows at your wedding.

• Like 9
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

But now that all the logistics are underway, and I am emotionally processing that my little Mommy, my favorite being is being kept alive by a machine, all I asked of her was that she tell me directly and explicitly when she doesn't want dialysis any more (whenever that day comes) and we can schedule hospice. (Not thinking that is going to happen tomorrow, or next week- but given her age and other health complications this is likely a 3-5yrs situation).

Oh that is so hard.  I'm shedding a few tears for you.  I remember how it hit me with my Mom's diagnosis that barring unforeseen accident, we now knew how the rest of Mom's life would go and had a vague schedule.  I'm glad you're keeping your vacation.  

• Like 5
  • Hugs 12

@Scarlett45-you have so much on your plate. I'm glad you're still going to take your Morocco trip. I know it's hard to see your dear Mama having health issues. I hope you have many good times ahead with her. Such a loving family you have! Thank you so much for updating us!

• Like 10
  • Love 5

My husband is having his first colonoscopy tomorrow. He'll be starting to drink the liquid prep (his doc prefers the liquid to the pills) soon. Then the fun will begin. I hope the prep isn't too awful for him! But who am I kidding? It's a nightmare!

• Hugs 14
On 2/6/2024 at 10:45 PM, Love2dance said:

I love our Small Talk mod @Scarlett45, I hope she will be back.

I looked at Scarlett’s profile and she isn’t listed as a mod anymore, she’s listed as a member. 

I wonder if she’ll be coming back as a mod?

• Useful 4

I’m just back from a difficult vacation. I’ll spare y’all the details. When I came on here to let you know that I was going, it said this site would be down for the weekend. My 5 Star resort said they had internet, but it never worked 😡

@BetyBee I’m very sorry for your loss. To leave during ones sleep sounds like a kindest way to leave, but it still hurts. I know. Hugs 😿🌈💔

@Scarlett45 I’m glad your Mom is home even with the dialysis challenges. 
Please enjoy your time off in Morocco and have a blast. You deserve it. 

This is my first post back on so I’ve yet to see or understand any changes, but I’m glad to still have all of you 🥰

• Like 3
  • Hugs 12

I'm sorry you had a difficult vacation, @Mindthinkr! Thank you for your kind words.

I know I'm lucky to have such nice friends in my life, but this week I received 2 evening phone calls. Both of these people know that I'm not at my best for chatting in the evening, but it seems people go with what is convenient for them. Both callers do not work and could easily call in the daytime. I know it's a small thing, but sometimes by evening, I have nothing left to give and I've told them that!

Life's been kind of tough lately, with losing my Mom and our cat. Yesterday was Mr. BB's colonoscopy and it went pretty well. I was terrified because he's nearly 70 and that is the age my Mom was when she had her first colonoscopy and she had colon cancer. Rather than looking at the bright side that Mom lived 23 years after that diagnosis, I was (in my head, not out loud) obsessing about a possible bad diagnosis for him. Luckily, he came through it with some likely benign polyps. I've had those myself, so I'm not overly concerned. He was a real trouper about the prep. And I was a real trouper about the drive, which was far away in unfamiliar territory. We high fived each other for a job well done! 

I realize I don't have much to complain about as I read my book club book, American Dirt. What migrants are migrating FROM and dealing WITH when they get to their destination, is no joke! I'm about 1/2 way through and I'm terrified for these fictional characters! It's very good. Anyway, I realize that my life has been good and I've always been pretty safe. That is truly a blessing not to be taken for granted!  

I wish all Small Talkers a good weekend!

• Like 9
  • Hugs 9
(edited)
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my goodness STers. We are having a one day fake spring in my area. 50s, sunny, no wind, with a touch of crisp winter air. 

Same here (PA). It’s currently 57°. Just returned from a trip to the zoo with one of my daughters, and one of my grandsons, in February!!

Monday into Tuesday the forecast is currently  6-12” of snow.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I know I'm lucky to have such nice friends in my life, but this week I received 2 evening phone calls. Both of these people know that I'm not at my best for chatting in the evening, but it seems people go with what is convenient for them. Both callers do not work and could easily call in the daytime. I know it's a small thing, but sometimes by evening, I have nothing left to give and I've told them that!

Is there a reason you felt you had to answer?  I loved the original answer machines (with tapes!) when you could just listen to the message as it was being recorded and pick up mid-message if you wanted.

These days I rarely answer unless I'm expecting a call and will just listen to the message.   Half the time there is no message - ie, it was nothing important/a sales call.  If it's a friend saying, "Calling to say hi," then I'll call back when I'm feeling like a chat.  If it's not convenient for them, I trust they won't pick up.  I refuse to be a slave to my phone.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 5
  • Applause 5
  • Love 3
(edited)

My saying is this is why we have text messages.  Do not disturb me after about 7 pm unless you are a child of mine or it's really important.  I treat other people the same way.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

took a drive today after being housebound with all the rainy days we have had for the last week plus. it was gorgeous!  nippy outside (high 40's- low 50's) with winds but clear blue skies and snow capped mountains in the distance. was finally able to drive over the 'pass' and visit with an elderly friend of mine -- so glad i did. she seems to be on the decline (healthwise and emotionally too) since last visit. lots of traffic heading up to the ski resort areas.  so worth the drive tho.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 9
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Is there a reason you felt you had to answer?  I loved the original answer machines (with tapes!) when you could just listen to the message as it was being recorded and pick up mid-message if you wanted.

These days I rarely answer unless I'm expecting a call and will just listen to the message.   Half the time there is no message - ie, it was nothing important/a sales call.  If it's a friend saying, "Calling to say hi," then I'll call back when I'm feeling like a chat.  If it's not convenient for them, I trust they won't pick up.  I refuse to be a slave to my phone.

I let them both go to voicemail. I miss answering machines too! I used to love coming home and checking my messages. My calls go private at 9pm (except for close family). I think I might change it to start at 7pm, now that I'm officially a curmudgeon, lol. I like that I can see who is calling and gauge how long the call is likely to take. With both my niece and my childhood friend, those are long calls which I wasn't up for at that hour, so they got voicemail. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3