Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Just a small vent from my early morning walk. Why do some people think that their small dogs don't require leashes?! So there are a couple of small dogs. They look like Shih Tzus to me. They run loose sometimes in a neighborhood behind me, yapping away at passers by. This morning a young couple was walking towards me. The woman was holding one dog. The other was running and barking. I crossed the street. That sometimes work with fenced dogs, who usually stop barking after you pass their property. But this dog ran across the street at me, yapping at my ankles. The couple slowly crossed the street, but he didn't listen to their instructions and kept following me. I stopped so they could grab him. The guy didn't pick him up and nobody apologized. He toed the dog away. It was almost a kick and that made me even angrier. The dog isn't doing anything wrong as far as the dog knows. The stupid owners are making all of the dog rearing mistakes. I didn't say anything, but I did give them a disgusted look. I tried to see where they live, but I didn't see them again. If I ever figure out where they live, I'll report the owners. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE dogs, but these dogs are clearly not going to change their behavior with these fools as owners! I deserve peace on my morning walk when I'm walking on a public sidewalk!

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 15

@BetyBee - I agree with you 100%. That's a terrible situation for everyone who is walking down the street when the dogs are loose. And for the dogs. Urgh. I hope that if it happens again you can get video with your phone (without provoking the *-hole owners into being nasty to you) and report them. 

• Like 9
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@BetyBee - I agree with you 100%. That's a terrible situation for everyone who is walking down the street when the dogs are loose. And for the dogs. Urgh. I hope that if it happens again you can get video with your phone (without provoking the *-hole owners into being nasty to you) and report them. 

I didn't even think of that! Thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 5

@NotabugI hope you are doing well with your recovery.  You will be in my continued thoughts ♥

@BetyBeeI am miffed for you.  The welfare of animals is something I am passionate about, and people like you described are a group that shouldn't own them.  There is zero reason to walk a dog unleashed.  It's unsafe for the dog, the owner, and the community at large.  One of our neighbors got a pittie randomly, which we didn't even know about.  On one of our warmer fall days, we had our front door open to let the cats look out.  I happened to look over, and this giant ass dog is in our yard, with his front paws on our porch, and barked at our youngest cat, who is barely 2 years old.  Watching back on our Nest cam, I fully believe the dog itself had no ill intentions.  I place no blame on him--it's all on the neighbors, who happened to be evicted last week.  I can't say I'm sad about that.

• Like 10

saw the orthopedic surgeon yesterday. he said i am released and have another 6 months-1 year to fully heal from shoulder replacement but not to worry about any long lasting damage from the pain of the mammogram. probably some internal bruising. he was quite pleased with my range of motion. i said no regrets on the surgery but not gonna do the other shoulder any time in the foreseeable future. (read that as EVER!)

• Hugs 17

I agree with you @BetyBee- I live in the city and there are a few neighbors who rarely have their dogs leashed. It’s not safe for the dogs! What if there is a loud sound a they run in the street out of fear?? What if a bigger dog comes by? Cosmo is always on his leash unless we are in a fenced private yard, for his own well being. 

I also know there are people who don’t like dogs or who are terrified of dogs, and they have a right to walk down the street in peace as well. 

One day this week Cosmo was being stubborn and wanted to sniff in the middle of the street. I pulled him along to get him out of the street and he whimpered. A neighbor was watching me to make sure I wasn’t hurting him (I wasn’t, he was fine but we can’t hang out in the middle of the street!) I appreciate the concern for Cosmo. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
On 12/10/2023 at 8:36 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Speedy recovery @Notabug!

Its been a very busy few days but I wanted to share some outtakes from the holiday card photo shoot!

image.thumb.jpeg.850872d3e070c49bc8024a5bf84f3240.jpeg

IMG_9976.jpeg

If these two didn't make the cut, I want to see the ones that did!  Adorable!

• Like 2

Two radiation treatments down, three to go.  It was easier today because I knew what was going on.  I'm not quite as tired today.  The girls that run the machine are so nice, as is everyone in the office.  I just wish the drive was shorter, but at least we don't have any snow.  I don't care for having my head immobilized in the mask, but it is only for about 30 minutes, so it is doable.  I'm glad I decided to do the treatments back to back instead of spreading them out over several weeks.  I just want to get it over with.  The process is interesting.  The radiation machine moves around my head and has pinpoint accuracy.  It is not loud, and I am in an open room with no tube to go through.  They asked me what type of music I wanted, which was nice, but I don't like the commercials.  I would think they could use something other than Spotify, but it is better than nothing. It is amazing to me how far radiology treatment has come.

• Hugs 24

So sorry for your loss @Jynnan tonnix- what an adorable darling! You gave Pippin a wonderful life. 

@CalicoKitty it seems like you are in a great head space through this. You’re a solider. I agree with you about commercials. 

3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

If these two didn't make the cut, I want to see the ones that did!  Adorable!

I’ll share the front when it gets here!

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Sometimes clicking on the heart or the hug doesn't seem quite enough, so this is to send extra hugs and kisses your way @CalicoKitty and @Jynnan tonnix for your amazing attitudes and I hope to perhaps help you through difficult times.  Thank you for sharing your stories with us, I hope you feel the warmth from all of us here, silent lurkers and non-lurkers alike.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 12

@BetyBee are we living parallel lives? This morning in Cosmo’s morning walk in our local park, an unleashed shitzu took a liking to him and ran up just running circles around him. At least we were in a park and not the side walk (although it wasn’t a dog park, dogs are supposed to be leased). Cosmo was un-phased and I had to stop him from sniffing a dead squirrel. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
57 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@BetyBee are we living parallel lives? This morning in Cosmo’s morning walk in our local park, an unleashed shitzu took a liking to him and ran up just running circles around him. At least we were in a park and not the side walk (although it wasn’t a dog park, dogs are supposed to be leased). Cosmo was un-phased and I had to stop him from sniffing a dead squirrel. 

Maybe so! I swear it's the little dogs that I usually see running free. All dogs are vulnerable running loose, but I would think little dogs are especially vulnerable! 

• Like 8
39 minutes ago, AstridM said:

@Jynnan tonnix, I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of up your fur baby 😪. I went through the same thing with my 19-year old cat a few months ago. Thinking of you. 

We have a 19 year old cat as well, and while she is doing remarkably well for her age, she is at the point that you just know her time is limited. Hopefully she keeps on keeping on for a while!

We lost my mom back in August, so I'm feeling about done with losses right now.

• Hugs 19
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

We have a 19 year old cat as well, and while she is doing remarkably well for her age, she is at the point that you just know her time is limited. Hopefully she keeps on keeping on for a while!

Im so sorry to hear about your mom. Mine is 88 and I’m hoping she stays healthy for a long time. I’m not ready🥲.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 9
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I’m so sorry. Grief is a bitch. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, AstridM said:

Im so sorry to hear about your mom. Mine is 88 and I’m hoping she stays healthy for a long time. I’m not ready🥲.

My mom would have been 89 in February. Her last couple of years had been pretty rough on her, since there was so much she could not do for herself anymore. And the last few weeks she was pretty much bedridden. The last week, she was pretty much unconscious. It was so difficult seeing her that way, and knowing there was nothing anyone could do to make it easier for her. I'm sure she was probably more cognizant than we could see or tell, and I'm not a natural nurse, but I'm glad that we were able to keep her at home until the end.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 23
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

My mom would have been 89 in February. Her last couple of years had been pretty rough on her, since there was so much she could not do for herself anymore. And the last few weeks she was pretty much bedridden. The last week, she was pretty much unconscious. It was so difficult seeing her that way, and knowing there was nothing anyone could do to make it easier for her. I'm sure she was probably more cognizant than we could see or tell, and I'm not a natural nurse, but I'm glad that we were able to keep her at home until the end.

My Mom says you never get over losing your mother. I’m not a natural nurse either (despite the vast assumption to the contrary- I have the skills due to life circumstances not due to a desire to hone them), but I’m sure she knew how much you loved her and I know she was lucky to have such a dutiful and caring daughter. It’s hard seeing someone you love so fragile and helpless. 

My Mom is looking so much like Grandfather these days. Just smaller with jewelry on. She’s had a rough few days and she says I’m not patient like M (no I’m not, M is a caregiver by profession)- but she did get out to Cirque du Soleil last week and like a little kid she asked could she have an Xmas present early. Sure Mommy whatever you’d like-I got her this heated leg massager because she has lymphedema in both legs, I think she will like it. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 10
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

It really does. My dad is not doing well. In and out of hospitals and the last one one of the doctors gave us "the talk" to prepare for the end. Yeah we know it's coming it maybe a few days, weeks or months. He hasn't being doing well the last couple years. He's been my support system through my medical problems and my mother's death. Yeah I have other family but they have their own families. The past six years it's been my dad and me living together. Eating together, watching TV together, taking care of each other and stuff. When he's gone I won't have that anymore. He's the one I always called when I needed help and he always came. He's really the only one who understands my medical issues, what I can and can't do. I really don't know how I'll survive without him.

This is exactly the way my mom and I have lived for the past 4 years since my dad died ❤️. I don’t know how I’ll survive without her, either.

• Hugs 21

I lost my parents within a few years of each other. Folks laughed, but I truly felt like an (full grown, independent) orphan.  Grief for sure isn't linear and doesn't always make sense. But yea, losing a parent is hard.

Hugs to all of you managing grief.

• Hugs 18
  • Love 2

Truthfully I do worry how my sister will fare once our Mom is gone. I promised if my Mom dies at home I will make sure she can see and touch the corpse to understand she is gone (to the best of her ability). She will either live to be 100 or die within a year of our Mom from grief. Nothing I can do about that except love her, and show her Mommy's bedroom is empty. 

I joke that she doesnt love me, only Mom first, and then M, and then L (the weekend caregiver) I am the big meanie who never gives her what she wants and tells her "no"- but she is going to be stuck with me!

• Hugs 23

I lost my mom in 2007 and my dad in 2021, after being unable to see him for the last two years of his life because the pandemic lock-down hit two weeks before I was booked to go see him. Lately, I have been seeing lots of his reactions and comments on my posts in my Facebook memories. I am finding that comforting.

• Hugs 16
On 12/15/2023 at 5:43 AM, GeeGolly said:

I lost my parents within a few years of each other. Folks laughed, but I truly felt like an (full grown, independent) orphan.  Grief for sure isn't linear and doesn't always make sense. But yea, losing a parent is hard.

Hugs to all of you managing grief.

I'm sorry you had to hear people basically, by laughing, telling you how you should grieve.  How you feel is how you feel and you should be respected and comforted.

I hate how some people feel they know how someone they barely know should behave and have no qualms telling them.  I'm very grateful that my friends and family don't do that.

There's been a lot of shared grief here these last few days.  It's such a hard time for so many.  Last night I met a woman in my apartment building who lost her husband of 50 years last January, so this is her first Christmas without him, and coming up on the one year anniversary.  She moved here with her husband to be close to their children, and she doesn't know anyone else.  I promised to have coffee with her this week.

For everybody here who's grieving loved ones and feeling the loss especially hard because of the time of year, please know that I read your posts with a heart full of warmth and love, and send prayers, good thoughts, and hugs out to all who seek and cherish them.

May we all have a peaceful, compassion-filled, loving holiday season.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 15

@Ancaster, it was so nice of you to reach out to that woman in your building. Friends are key to helping us to get by after a terrible loss. If she is a reader, she may want to join a book club. It's a soft way to meet others in a new town. I'm glad she has her children nearby. And now she has you! Just having a friend to have coffee with can be a lifeline for a lonely person in a new town. 

Today is my cousin's wake. I'll see cousins that I haven't seen in years. My Mom has decided not to go. She's heartbroken about the loss, but most any event outside her home is too much for her to handle these days. When I visited her the other day, she was confused and very downhearted. I was concerned about her oxygen levels, but my sister visited the next day and thought she was much improved. I don't know if it's the perceptions of two different people, or if Mom is just having good days and bad days. I do tend to look for concerns. My Mom is so frail. 

• Hugs 18
5 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@Ancaster, it was so nice of you to reach out to that woman in your building. Friends are key to helping us to get by after a terrible loss. If she is a reader, she may want to join a book club. It's a soft way to meet others in a new town. I'm glad she has her children nearby. And now she has you! Just having a friend to have coffee with can be a lifeline for a lonely person in a new town. 

Today is my cousin's wake. I'll see cousins that I haven't seen in years. My Mom has decided not to go. She's heartbroken about the loss, but most any event outside her home is too much for her to handle these days. When I visited her the other day, she was confused and very downhearted. I was concerned about her oxygen levels, but my sister visited the next day and thought she was much improved. I don't know if it's the perceptions of two different people, or if Mom is just having good days and bad days. I do tend to look for concerns. My Mom is so frail. 

Thank you BetyBee, and I'm so sorry you're going through such tough times with your Mom.  It must be especially difficult right now when it seems like everyone else is busy going to parties and being consumed with everything Christmas, while at the same time forgetting that some of us are just trying to get on with our sometimes difficult lives, or maybe trying to drive to an essential appointment that is unfortunately close to the mall.

• Hugs 12
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Hooray!!  I had my 5th--and last--brain radiation session today.  MRI in a couple of months, and then a schedule for MRIs into the future.  I hate MRIs, but at least I won't have my head clamped tightly to a table.  The procedure is rather interesting, and since 10 years ago the treatment would have been surgery, this is much, much better.  But I'm glad it's over.  Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  They helped!!!!

Wishing you health and happiness! Happy holidays!

• Like 7
  • Hugs 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.  I'm a week post-op from the knee replacement and doing ok, each day a little better than the last.  I am having much less pain overall this time, which is a blessing.  I don't know if it is because I knew what to expect this time or because the surgical team has gotten to be very pro-active in this area and did a lot of pre-op and post-op assessment and came up with a really comprehensive plan this time around, but it is definitely much better.  I've got no stamina and can fall asleep randomly throughout the day, but am doing ok.  One of my sisters has been spending the night here as well as checking in during the day as have a bunch of friends, which is great.  I actually told them I could use a little more downtime by myself, I'm not used to having people hanging around 24/7 but its great to know there are people who I can call on if needed.  PT is all in-home for first 3 weeks and covered 100% by insurance, so that is working out with minimal effort, too.

glad to get a good report from you!

• Like 9

@Notabug Glad you are well on the mend. What great insurance coverage you have. Most people I know who have had that need to go to a physical location to get their PT. It seems like a hassle during their recovery (having to get dressed for the cold, getting in and out of the car). I hope your path to being all better continues and you are able to enjoy your holiday season to whatever extent that you are comfortable with. Best wishes. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Notabug Glad you are well on the mend. What great insurance coverage you have. Most people I know who have had that need to go to a physical location to get their PT. It seems like a hassle during their recovery (having to get dressed for the cold, getting in and out of the car). I hope your path to being all better continues and you are able to enjoy your holiday season to whatever extent that you are comfortable with. Best wishes. 

I work for a large midwestern hospital system that essentially self-insures; so any service that we have as part of our organization is available at a relatively cheap rate.  Now, if you want the latest med on the market; that's a different story; but the regular services available in any big hospital system are ether very inexpensive or free to employees.  For example, anyone who is nearsighted and wants LASIK is going to pay zilch for it out of pocket.  Nice perk.

• Like 14
11 hours ago, Notabug said:

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.  I'm a week post-op from the knee replacement and doing ok, each day a little better than the last.  I am having much less pain overall this time, which is a blessing.  I don't know if it is because I knew what to expect this time or because the surgical team has gotten to be very pro-active in this area and did a lot of pre-op and post-op assessment and came up with a really comprehensive plan this time around, but it is definitely much better.  I've got no stamina and can fall asleep randomly throughout the day, but am doing ok.  One of my sisters has been spending the night here as well as checking in during the day as have a bunch of friends, which is great.  I actually told them I could use a little more downtime by myself, I'm not used to having people hanging around 24/7 but its great to know there are people who I can call on if needed.  PT is all in-home for first 3 weeks and covered 100% by insurance, so that is working out with minimal effort, too.

Good for you for getting through that first week and even getting some sleep!  Last year I had double hip replacement surgery and I barely slept those first two weeks.  I wasn’t used to back sleeping and everything tasted and smelled awful.  It wasn’t until the fourteen day when I stopped taking the narcotic that I started feeling better and could eat normally and stopped feeling dizzy.

I also had wonderful insurance with the home OT and PT. Best part was even though Google said it could cost $64,000 for a double, I only had to pay the $75.00 outpatient surgery copay. That included OT, PT and all follow-up visits and X-rays for six weeks.

I’ve heard that knees are a harder recovery than hips, which seem to have become drive-by surgery! Remember the mantra of elevate, ice, rest and lots of protein for recovery!  Protein shakes helped me immensely when food looked horrible.

Edited by louannems
  • Like 10