Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Quoting @SnapHappy from the Jinger thread-

Ever since 2019 I wanted a jumpsuit. Everyone told me “no you’ll hate it, you have to go to the bathroom all the time, blah blah”. 

Well I realized over summer 2021 until now I LOVE jumpsuits. They are so comfortable! But it’s like wearing a dress with PANTS. I found these two inexpensive ones from Amazon that are so flattering and comfy for travel. I like them for travel because they have pockets and you don’t have to worry about your shirt riding UP. Also light but cover up everything I want covered up. I wear slip shorts from jockey underneath for my “hail damage” aka cellulite. 

Tank Style

V Neck Style

I have the tank in green and the v neck in royal blue and black. Next year I’ll probably get a purple. Sometimes I wear the lacy bralettes underneath that are cute, but I don’t have any that fit me right now. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Quoting @SnapHappy from the Jinger thread-

Ever since 2019 I wanted a jumpsuit. Everyone told me “no you’ll hate it, you have to go to the bathroom all the time, blah blah”. 

Well I realized over summer 2021 until now I LOVE jumpsuits. They are so comfortable! But it’s like wearing a dress with PANTS. I found these two inexpensive ones from Amazon that are so flattering and comfy for travel. I like them for travel because they have pockets and you don’t have to worry about your shirt riding UP. Also light but cover up everything I want covered up. I wear slip shorts from jockey underneath for my “hail damage” aka cellulite. 

Tank Style

V Neck Style

I have the tank in green and the v neck in royal blue and black. Next year I’ll probably get a purple. Sometimes I wear the lacy bralettes underneath that are cute, but I don’t have any that fit me right now. 

For travel? Does the jumpsuit have buttons in the crotch area?

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

No- the tank style buttons in the back and the vneck style snaps in front and you pull down. It’s stretchy. 

Are you talking about jersey jumpsuits? That to me would make wearing one very easy.

There are times I get so busy I don't realize I have to pee until I HAVE to pee. If I was wearing Jinger's it would be a problem. 😰

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Are you talking about jersey jumpsuits? That to me would make wearing one very easy.

There are times I get so busy I don't realize I have to pee until I HAVE to pee. If I was wearing Jinger's it would be a problem. 😰

Yes they are made of jersey. So comfortable! It’s like wearing pjs but not. So glad I bit the bullet and got some because I’m a huge fan. 

• Like 4

I keep being tempted.  I had a heavy jersey maternity jumpsuit that I loved at the end of my pregnancies.  This was right when it was becoming acceptable for (North American) women to celebrate their pregnant bodies and wear body conforming clothes, rather than tents.  It helped that I loved being pregnant and was careful not to use the excuse of "eating for two" to overindulge, so basically just gained a large firm basketball and magnificent breasts.  And it was easy to pull down to pee while holding it off the ground.  Today, many decades later, even though I'm still in pretty good shape, I think I'd be too afraid of jiggle and dressing too young.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I keep being tempted.  I had a heavy jersey maternity jumpsuit that I loved at the end of my pregnancies.  This was right when it was becoming acceptable for (North American) women to celebrate their pregnant bodies and wear body conforming clothes, rather than tents.  It helped that I loved being pregnant and was careful not to use the excuse of "eating for two" to overindulge, so basically just gained a large firm basketball and magnificent breasts.  And it was easy to pull down to pee while holding it off the ground.  Today, many decades later, even though I'm still in pretty good shape, I think I'd be too afraid of jiggle and dressing too young.

I bet you looked gorgeous in the jumpsuit. I say try it out! Slip shorts underneath help my thigh giggle and keep things nice and smooth. 

• Like 3

I’m old fashioned in the way that I like to wear slips. There’s no issue of panty lines, everything looks smooth underneath my dress, and it prevents the sun from shining through. 

I’m going to look into the slip shorts you mentioned. Unfortunately I couldn’t get your link to the tank jumpsuit to work, but I’ll see if I can view it on Amazon. 

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m old fashioned in the way that I like to wear slips. There’s no issue of panty lines, everything looks smooth underneath my dress, and it prevents the sun from shining through. 

I’m going to look into the slip shorts you mentioned. Unfortunately I couldn’t get your link to the tank jumpsuit to work, but I’ll see if I can view it on Amazon. 

I also wear slips with some of my skirts and dresses, but there are times when the thighs need to be separated by some fabric and I want to wear a skirt.  I used to wear those Jockey slipshorts, but they never fit right.  My butt eats shorts and the slipshorts were no exception.  The short would roll up and/or the waistband would roll down.  I switched to Snag Tights Chub Rub Shorts late last year, and they are everything I need them to be.  They don't roll up or down, my inner thighs don't rub together,  and the fabric is stretchy enough that I get to decide how long the inseam needs to be.  

https://snagtights.us/collections/chub-rub-shorts

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
33 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also wear slips with some of my skirts and dresses, but there are times when the thighs need to be separated by some fabric and I want to wear a skirt.  I used to wear those Jockey slipshorts, but they never fit right.  My butt eats shorts and the slipshorts were no exception.  The short would roll up and/or the waistband would roll down.  I switched to Snag Tights Chub Rub Shorts late last year, and they are everything I need them to be.  They don't roll up or down, my inner thighs don't rub together,  and the fabric is stretchy enough that I get to decide how long the inseam needs to be.  

I love this and will be ordering some for sure.  And thanks to the company for the in your face honesty of "chub-rub"! 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I found this amusing.  I looked at the chub rub shorts and they look exactly like the "dance shorts" modesty shorts I buy for the granddaughter for under dresses and skirts.  

Being retired I live in shorts and yoga pants so haven't needed special shorts.

• Like 5
42 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Have you tried their regular tights? They look promising.

13 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Yes.  I actually bought their tights before trying their chub rub shorts, and love them.  The tights are well-made, and their sizing is excellent.  They are some of the best tights I have worn, and I've tried a lot--Target, Vera Wang at Kohls, Hue, etc.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

You would have thought a well like brought-up young lady like Diana would have known that . . . 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

I'm bereft..I have no posts to read on any of the shows I follow. 😭🤣

I have fourteen shows of mostly train-wreck TV saved (don't judge) and they're all empty! Guess I need to go do something more constructive. 😁

Screenshot_20230921-223205_Brave.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Hugs 2
  • Sad 6
23 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I have fourteen shows of mostly train-wreck TV saved (don't judge) and they're all empty! Guess I need to go do something more constructive. 😁

I hear you. The strikes are really cutting into my quality time-wasting time.

• Like 6
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I hear you. The strikes are really cutting into my quality time-wasting time.

I used to have a lot of content to read when I followed many other shows, but I got tired of some of them becoming so *obviously* scripted, and dropped them one by one (specifically looking at you, 90 Day Fiance)🙄🤣

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

Been there, done that.  In fact I just subscribed to Acorn for a free trial so I could find something to watch that might have a community.  Just kidding, I just want something new to watch, a forum would be a bonus.  It's led me to what I know is going to be a very tough and bleak watch: "Help" with Jodi Comer, a movie about Covid and a nursing home.  I'm not sure why I do this to myself.

Your list reminds me that I need a new season of The Amazing Race as an antidote.

• Like 3
Just now, Ancaster said:

Which is your favorite?  (I know which one is everyone's most hated!)

Hmm. It won't be Counting On! I really don't know. I've been thinking it would be fun to rewatch Northern Exposure.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

n fact I just subscribed to Acorn for a free trial so I could find something to watch that might have a community.

Last time I had a free week of Acorn on my cable I enjoyed the Australian series "A Place to Call Home."  I only watched the first season and first show of the second as there were 6 seasons with 67 episodes.  It ran from 2013-2019, and was shown on some PBS stations, but not mine.  I liked the fact that it isn't a mystery, and I get sick of the fact that my PBS station, outside of Masterpiece dramas, only shows mysteries from several nations.

There is a forum on it.  I might catch more of it with a free or cheap trial of Acorn, but I've noticed a number of series have moved to Britbox from Acorn.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 9/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, AstridM said:

I have several pairs of their regular tights and they are about the best ones I've found.  They are less likely to bag at the knees and ankles and they hold up well with repeated washing.  And, as noted above, their sizing seems accurate and works well for me, too.  Worth the price, IMO.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

Last time I had a free week of Acorn on my cable I enjoyed the Australian series "A Place to Call Home."  I only watched the first season and first show of the second as there were 6 seasons with 67 episodes.  It ran from 2013-2019, and was shown on some PBS stations, but not mine.  I liked the fact that it isn't a mystery, and I get sick of the fact that my PBS station, outside of Masterpiece dramas, only shows mysteries from several nations.

There is a forum on it.  I might catch more of it with a free or cheap trial of Acorn, but I've noticed a number of series have moved to Britbox from Acorn.

That was a great series.  The secrets in some families........

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

A while back we rewatched all seasons of Rockford Files. It was fun to see so many actors when they were younger.

I watched that for the first time a few years ago, and it holds up really well! 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Any more sugestions for binging, let me know!

On Britbox "Unforgotten" (also on PBS passport) and "The Syndicate".  On Acorn "The Other One".  Crazy and hilarious.  Another on PBS Passport is "Mrs Wilson". This is a true story that is amazing.  Also on Britbox "The Thief, His Wive, and the Canoe".  Also a true story.  Right now I am watching "Only Murders in the Building" on Hulu.  Martin Short and Steve Martin are really funny.

2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

On Britbox "Unforgotten" (also on PBS passport) and "The Syndicate".  On Acorn "The Other One".  Crazy and hilarious.  Another on PBS Passport is "Mrs Wilson". This is a true story that is amazing.  Also on Britbox "The Thief, His Wive, and the Canoe".  Also a true story.  Right now I am watching "Only Murders in the Building" on Hulu.  Martin Short and Steve Martin are really funny.

Forgot to add:  on Amazon Prime "Titanic the Shocking Truth".  Very interesting documentary.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
31 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Another on PBS Passport is "Mrs Wilson". This is a true story that is amazing.

Another amazing fact is that Ruth Wilson portrays her great grandmother.  I discovered that with the commentary with the last episode.  Also I'll watch practically anything with Iain Glen in it.

A few others on Acorn, I Claudius, and my favorite Sam Neill role, "Reilly:  Ace of Spies."  I remember watching and taping it on my VCR back in 1984.  I found it hard to wait for the next episode then!  I don't know why but Acorn skips 3 of the 12 episodes.  I binged the entire series one night into morning with my best friend.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Another amazing fact is that Ruth Wilson portrays her great grandmother.  I discovered that with the commentary with the last episode.  Also I'll watch practically anything with Iain Glen in it.

A few others on Acorn, I Claudius, and my favorite Sam Neill role, "Reilly:  Ace of Spies."  I remember watching and taping it on my VCR back in 1984.  I found it hard to wait for the next episode then!  I don't know why but Acorn skips 3 of the 12 episodes.  I binged the entire series one night into morning with my best friend.

I agree.  Ruth Wilson did a great job portraying her grandmother.  And I like that the family has stayed close.  But they still don't know who the guy actually was.  I hope the family can find out somehow.  I found this whole story very intriguing.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, crazy8s said:

What did you think of season 5? I am on ep 4.

I grew to like the new "Governor", but I did not find the case itself as intriguing as past seasons.  But maybe that was because they had to take a lot of the time figuring out and developing the team dynamics.  I felt good about the show at the end.  I hope they continue with more seasons.

• Like 3

We binged (and completed) Perfect Strangers & Wings.  Mr. Six is making his way through Cheers, but he doesn't watch it often.  We also watch "Only Murders", and we need to continue "The Morning Show", which is on Apple TV.  (I will put one caveat on TMS--it is very adults-only.  I wouldn't let a young teenager watch it either).  He goes through spurts where he would rather play his Playstation 5, and we're currently in that season of life.  Tee😁hee!

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Any more suggestions for binging, let me know!

I just started “Ordeal by Innocence” on Prime. Interesting so far. 

42 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I grew to like the new "Governor", but I did not find the case itself as intriguing as past seasons.  But maybe that was because they had to take a lot of the time figuring out and developing the team dynamics.  I felt good about the show at the end.  I hope they continue with more seasons.

Same. It grew on me but it was hard getting used to the new lead. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Thanks everyone for the TV suggestions.  I'm planning to work through the various free week offerings.

I'm not usually big on true crime shows, but The Thief, His Wife, and the Canoe sounds deliciously outrageous in terms of stupid criminal exploits!

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Ancaster said:

Thanks everyone for the TV suggestions.  I'm planning to work through the various free week offerings.

I'm not usually big on true crime shows, but The Thief, His Wife, and the Canoe sounds deliciously outrageous in terms of stupid criminal exploits!

It's a true story, and it is quite odd.  You just can't understand how some people can come up with some of these ideas.  It is actually pretty funny.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

This subject got me thinking of British shows I miss or have missed (I'm an expat).  For some reason, my mind went to The Great Egg Race, which is a funny show a bit like Myth Busters:

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1981-the-great-egg-race-water-challenge/229554504084254/ 

I also like Taskmasters, which is sort of like MythBusters but where celebrities compete against each other doing silly things, like painting a portrait while riding a horse.  Apparently it's on Pluto (free), but I just tried and I can't make my TV go there.

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I also like Taskmasters, which is sort of like MythBusters but where celebrities compete against each other doing silly things, like painting a portrait while riding a horse.  Apparently it's on Pluto (free), but I just tried and I can't make my TV go there.

Taskmaster rocks! It has an official YouTube channel with all the episodes for free (including season 16 which is just coming out), though there are a lot of ads that way.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Forgot to add:  on Amazon Prime "Titanic the Shocking Truth".  Very interesting documentary.

This reminded me...I am hooked on "24 Hours in A&E" on Amazon Prime.

Not for the squeamish..they show everything...and I mean everything. (not private parts on people, but all the gory injuries.)

It's about what happens in a British trauma hospital in a 24 hour period.

Just watching it made me put a much brighter lightbulb over my staircase, because OMGosh do people ever fall down stairs a lot (especially old people like me.)😭

It also shows how the patient's life was going before the thing that landed them in the hospital.

Be forewarned that not everyone on the show survives, but that's reality.

And there's 16 seasons 😁

ps  I have to have captions on to help me understand some of their accents.😂

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
22 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Your list reminds me that I need a new season of The Amazing Race as an antidote.

New season starts on September 27!!

(which is two of my daughters' birthdays, and they're not twins)

😁ps did I use the apostrophe right here?

I couldn't decide which way was correct.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Yes you got it right!

If it helps, try thinking of it backwards - the apostrophe goes at the end of the noun, daughter or daughters:

The birthday of my daughter = My daughter's birthday

The birthday of my daughters = My daughters' birthday

Try thinking about it with a non-standard plural - the word before the apostrophe has to be an actual plural word:

The birthday of my wife = my wife's birthday (wifes is not a word, therefore "my wifes' birthday" couldn't be correct)

The birthday of my wives = my wives' birthday (wive is not a word, therefore "my wive's birthday" couldn't be correct

Have I confused you more?  Mission accomplished!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
18 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

If wouldn't have mattered if you had it wrong, as we all know what you meant.

My attitude is this is an online forum so no judgment on anyone's grammatical aptitude from me.

• Like 2

We got the dvr connected. We went to the library and chose a couple of binge box dvds: Pirates of the Caribbean, original movie and 4 sequels and a Tom Hanks Binge box with 4 movies. We had trouble narrowing down tv series choices. I think I'll just look online and reserve dvds in the future. I also got the lowdown on hoopla and libby for listening to books. I'm not a big fan of audible books, but I'll give it another try.

• Like 4

Could anyone talk to me about deafness? Over the past six months, it seems like I am losing my hearing. I went to my GP and they hosed out my ears (lots of ear wax) and I thought I'd hear better. But no. Next to an audiology clinic, where they tested my hearing and said go get hearing aids. 

I am not enthused about that advice, since almost all the hearing aid wearers among my friends are really unhappy with their hearing aids, which cost them thousands of dollars.

Plus, my ears feel like when you have been on a flight or come down from a mountain, and your ears close. And, once in a while, my ears crackle and it seems like they might return to my former good hearing! But no, it never lasts ... but the crackling is so loud, it gives me hope. 

Would it make any sense for me to go to an Ear Eye Nose Throat doctor? Or should I just give up and go get hearing aids? Any advice or counsel you can offer to help me through this decision will be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 8
On 9/23/2023 at 6:40 PM, Porkchop said:

Could anyone talk to me about deafness? Over the past six months, it seems like I am losing my hearing. I went to my GP and they hosed out my ears (lots of ear wax) and I thought I'd hear better. But no. Next to an audiology clinic, where they tested my hearing and said go get hearing aids. 

I am not enthused about that advice, since almost all the hearing aid wearers among my friends are really unhappy with their hearing aids, which cost them thousands of dollars.

Plus, my ears feel like when you have been on a flight or come down from a mountain, and your ears close. And, once in a while, my ears crackle and it seems like they might return to my former good hearing! But no, it never lasts ... but the crackling is so loud, it gives me hope. 

Would it make any sense for me to go to an Ear Eye Nose Throat doctor? Or should I just give up and go get hearing aids? Any advice or counsel you can offer to help me through this decision will be greatly appreciated!

It wouldn't hurt and might help to see an ENT to see if there is some sort of correctible problem affecting your hearing.  There is also a lot to be said for peace of mind and mental health in these situations and seeking another opinion to 'close the loop' will, if nothing else, help you feel comfortable that you're done your best and gotten a thorough exam and options for treatment.

Hearing aids aren't perfect, your hearing will never be exactly as it was before, but, most people can adjust to wearing them although it requires some patience and may not  happen overnight for most people.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 9